• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I think this, just like with Earthbound Beginnings and Starfox 2, was just something they've had in their backroom since the early 90s rather than something they've been fastidiously working on as of late, and they just decided apropos of nothing to finally get it out there.
i doubt they have had this done since the 90's, more than likely they made it for the 30th anniversary. it wouldn't even be that much work, they have a full translation of the game from the early 2010's when they released the ds remake (shadow dragon). odds are they looked at that script and just retyped it. I doubt that would take more than a week.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
So are we all anticipating more announcements from Nintendo each week still. Say it with me class “Make a Direct Nintendo, stop drip feeding us information”
"Tune in on October 32nd (a new day us, Nintendo, made up!) for the first ever Nintendo Direct Geno Showcase, where we unveil all of our plans for 2024 and beyond. Information on 2021, 2022, and 2023 will come at a later date."

Seriously though, I really do want Nintendo to just lift the curtain and stop drip feeding us news.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Hey Nintendo! Can you make a Direct? There’s literally nothing stopping you. You haven’t had one in a while, and I think there’s some games that are dying to be revealed right now after being on hold indefinitely cause of the pandemic!

Nintendo:

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I'll probably watch The Game Awards just because I don't want to miss it if the 1 in a million chance does happen and Geno is revealed there. I do not want to miss that at all.
Haha I remember watching the The Game Awards last year under the assumption that there would probably be a Smash reveal like the year before. Uhhh Ori and the Will of the Wisps was pretty hype I guess.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I might end up regretting this, but I'm deciding to stay tuned to this year's TGA. I was so disappointed and angry that I stayed up super late all for nothing last year, but looking back, I can see how it was my fault for getting my hopes up for a Smash reveal when we really weren't promised one. I actually think its more likely we will get a Smash reveal at this year's TGA because of the reception of Joker's announcement at 2018's TGA and Geoff supposedly hinting at a Smash reveal happening this year. So, like with these past two years, I will go through the suffering of sitting through a boring three hour award show just to see a Smash reveal, hoping it will be another success next time unlike last year's disappointment.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
I might end up regretting this, but I'm deciding to stay tuned to this year's TGA. I was so disappointed and angry that I stayed up super late all for nothing last year, but looking back, I can see how it was my fault for getting my hopes up for a Smash reveal when we really weren't promised one. I actually think its more likely we will get a Smash reveal at this year's TGA because of the reception of Joker's announcement at 2018's TGA and Geoff supposedly hinting at a Smash reveal happening this year. So, like with these past two years, I will go through the suffering of sitting through a boring three hour award show just to see a Smash reveal, hoping it will be another success next time unlike last year's disappointment.
Unless something else that I'm not aware of has been said, I'm pretty sure that Geoff wasn't hinting so much he was simply saying that he'd love to host another reveal.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Unless something else that I'm not aware of has been said, I'm pretty sure that Geoff wasn't hinting so much he was simply saying that he'd love to host another reveal.
I think I may have seen that in a PapaGenos's video but I'm probably misremembering. However, this is probably Geoff's last chance to reveal a Smash character considering the DLC ends in December 2021, so if he wants to have another Smash reveal, this year would definitely be the year to do it.

Reactions: QQS

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I think I may have seen that in a PapaGenos's video but I'm probably misremembering. However, this is probably Geoff's last chance to reveal a Smash character considering the DLC ends in December 2021, so if he wants to have another Smash reveal, this year would definitely be the year to do it.
Yeah, that's something to really think about.

TGA 2020 is probably the last chance for a TGA Ultimate reveal, unless they really stretch the reveal for #81 to next December. On a side note, Breath of the Wild 2 could be at TGA 2020.

E3 2021 is the last E3 for an Ultimate reveal.

We're so close, everybody.

Just a little bit longer.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
There's something about the Fire Emblem 1 localization announcement that sort of feels like Nintendo is sending a message. I was checking out the games page on Nintendo's official site, and I saw Fire Emblem: The Shadow Dragon & The Binding Blade and it's priced at around $5.00. The first time ever localized version of the original game from back in the 1990, at $5.00 (digital version); when you look at the other titles on that page, this one sticks out like a neon light. Of course, there's a physical special edition that comes with a lot of goodies but, again, it's the localized version of the very first Fire Emblem game that came out on the Famicom. What's even more jarring is that this game is up on Japan's NSO NES Library (which with the subscription to NSO, it's free).

We're closing in on November. If the Partner Showcases aren't over with yet, then next week we should be getting the announcement guaranteed (again, if there are still more Partner Showcases for the remainder of the year).

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Mr. Keighley is on board, but Nintendo needs to be also. They avoided it last year despite Byleth's trailer most likely already being finished.
I've wondered why that was. Did they not want to wait more than a month between reveal and release? Did they know the reveal wasn't going to go over well? Maybe they just didn't want to pay the fee for a spot in the show's schedule.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Does anyone think if Nintendo approached Square about Sora, and they were shot down, that this could deconfirm Geno? It’s pretty much a safe bet that each company only gets one spot per pass. At least no one has double dipped yet in a single pass.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Mr. Keighley is on board, but Nintendo needs to be also. They avoided it last year despite Byleth's trailer most likely already being finished.
I've wondered why that was. Did they not want to wait more than a month between reveal and release? Did they know the reveal wasn't going to go over well? Maybe they just didn't want to pay the fee for a spot in the show's schedule.
I think all three of these options are reasonable as to why we didn't get a reveal last year, but I'm especially leaning towards the latter option. I just feel like their wasn't enough room for a Smash reveal to happen last year. Given how this year may be a little more difficult to make deals with companies to announce things here with COVID, it could also mean that its even more possible that Geoff could want a Smash reveal here, to both A. Have something from Nintendo, B. Have something for the fans, and C. Have something to reveal at all given the current situation in the world right now

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
I’m definitely gonna be watching this year’s TGA with friends, idk it’s much more enjoyable instead of watching it by yourself. I’ll go into this with an open mind for a Smash reveal.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Didn’t someone say that Byleth was supposed to be a December reveal last year but got delayed? Who was it? I can’t remember exactly but if that’s the case then it explains why Byleth’s reveal trailer was basically “yup, it’s Byleth lol”, because if Byleth was intended to be revealed in December, then The Game Awards would have been good timing and would have taken many by surprise. If Nintendo really intended for Byleth to get shown around that time then maybe it isn’t out of the realm of possibility to expect another character reveal there, or at the very least before the year ends.

Edit: It was Imran Khan who stated it

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Does anyone think if Nintendo approached Square about Sora, and they were shot down, that this could deconfirm Geno? It’s pretty much a safe bet that each company only gets one spot per pass. At least no one has double dipped yet in a single pass.
No not at all. According to a theory that has been going around for a little bit, Nintendo doesn't decide what specific characters are chosen for these Passes, but rather the companies instead. So, if Nintendo listed Square as a company for this Pass, then that means Sakurai can choose any Square character, and if a character from that company is turned down, that means Sakurai needs to decide upon a different character from that company. I actually think the theory that Square may have turned down Sora could be something in favor of Geno happening, considering that means Sora is out of the running and Sakurai would have to choose a different Square character. [And honestly, I don't even think Square would be the ones to turn down Sora, but I think Disney would].

Geno also has far less obstacles to go through, considering Sakurai not only has to negotiate with the mouse, but also Sora may have been turned down due to licensing and Kingdom Hearts's huge ties to Disney. This, combined with the theory I stated above makes me feel like this doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, and it could be something in favor of Geno happening.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
No not at all. According to a theory that has been going around for a little bit, Nintendo doesn't decide what specific characters are chosen for these Passes, but rather the companies instead. So, if Nintendo listed Square as a company for this Pass, then that means Sakurai can choose any Square character, and if a character from that company is turned down, that means Sakurai needs to decide upon a different character from that company. I actually think the theory that Square may have turned down Sora could be something in favor of Geno happening, considering that means Sora is out of the running and Sakurai would have to choose a different Square character. [And honestly, I don't even think Square would be the ones to turn down Sora, but I think Disney would].

Geno also has far less obstacles to go through, considering Sakurai not only has to negotiate with the mouse, but also Sora may have been turned down due to licensing and Kingdom Hearts's huge ties to Disney. This, combined with the theory I stated above makes me feel like this doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, and it could be something in favor of Geno happening.
I just hope something happens with Geno. I mean at least a better Mii costume with Forest Maze would be nice.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I just hope something happens with Geno. I mean at least a better Mii costume with Forest Maze would be nice.
Sorry, I cannot disagree with this more. This attitude existed well before papagenos papagenos starting mentioning it in his content but it seems much more widespread now and I hate it.

I've been dying to see the boi get into Smash for going on a quarter of a century, which also happens to be 83% of my time spent alive, and I'll be DAMNED if all we get for Geno in the best Smash game we will ever get is a costume that we already had in Smash 4.

See, what you guys seem to misunderstand is that the idea of a Deluxe/Premium costume and a music track doesn't exist for Geno: at best it would be an updated version of the old costume like Heihachi or Gil. There is no reason to make a new costume or add more content when Square makes the same amount of money by just agreeing to have assets reused or touched up.

Not to mention this is extremely defeatist and pessimistic, as it sounds like a sigh of defeat whenever it comes up.

Just like DistantKingdom says, don't accept less, fight for more.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Why would Nintendo approach Square Enix for Sora? Disney own the character.

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
late to the game awards discussion but i remember staying up until what??? 2 in the morning??? (living in the east coast is suffering) watching it with my friends because i was hoping for a smash reveal
i got vin diesel for the ps2, ninja, grimes, and "nintendo switch has games"
at least green day was good

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Last year's TGA were so bad that it put me off of watching TGA this year. I wasn't one of the people who demanded a Smash reveal. I would have been happy to just get some strong Nintendo news in general. A Smash reveal would have done that for me, but so would news on Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Breath of the Wild 2, a new Mario game, a new Donkey Kong game... There were many things that would have left me feeling satisfied. Instead, we got No More Heroes 3 and Bravely Default 2, and that was it, unless I'm forgetting something. And I mean, those are pretty cool games, but just not as big as I wanted. I wish we had gotten them announced, plus one bigger announcement.

Then there were the awards themselves. Three hours and we spent what, 20 minutes on the actual awards? People making acceptance speeches would get cut off after only a couple minutes, if their award even got handed out at all and wasn't just flashed across the screen. It was like they had no time for the awards, because they had to fill almost all that time with musical performances and adbreaks telling me I shouldn't vape but should buy Magic the Gathering. Look, I do want TGA to be more than just giving out the awards. I wanna see the cool stuff companies are putting out. I'm fine with adbreaks and musical performances - it's just that that stuff seemed to HEAVILY outweigh the handing out of awards.

So that's why I'm not gonna bother watching TGA this year. I didn't even have the issue of staying up, since I get on weird sleep schedules. Last year's were just so insufferable, that I'm just gonna wait for whatever standalone videos get posted to YouTube after. I can check out any cool trailers that way. If I miss a live Smash reveal, so be it. It won't be long till I'm able to watch it after that.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Saw the FE1 localization today and... Urgh... I fully understand limited physical releases , but removing the game from the eshop benefit absolutely nobody , and this decision baffle me.
And it's a famicom FE game , people aren't going to rush in stores to buy something like that.

I hope that at least Fatman's theory on them being "apetizers" for bigger games is true.

Also , do not ask Nintendo to do a Mother 3 translation. The game touch up on very sensitive topics and would most likely be heavily censored. Instead , play the faithful fan translation , especially since Nintendo won't take it down due to their lack of interest in the game.
I really appreciate Sakurai's efforts to keep :4lucas: in Smash tho , it help preserving the legacy of Mother 3 in a way.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Saw the FE1 localization today and... Urgh... I fully understand limited physical releases , but removing the game from the eshop benefit absolutely nobody , and this decision baffle me.
And it's a famicom FE game , people aren't going to rush in stores to buy something like that.

I hope that at least Fatman's theory on them being "apetizers" for bigger games is true.

Also , do not ask Nintendo to do a Mother 3 translation. The game touch up on very sensitive topics and would most likely be heavily censored. Instead , play the faithful fan translation , especially since Nintendo won't take it down due to their lack of interest in the game.
I really appreciate Sakurai's efforts to keep :4lucas: in Smash tho , it help preserving the legacy of Mother 3 in a way.
I really need to play through the Mother series sometime.

Speaking of censorship, is there anything Nintendo or Square Enix would censor in a Super Mario RPG remake?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I really need to play through the Mother series sometime.

Speaking of censorship, is there anything Nintendo or Square Enix would censor in a Super Mario RPG remake?
Only one thing ;
Mystery_SMRPG.png

And maybe Bazooka Toad if they don't want stuff like that mentionned in a Mario game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom