• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sorry, I cannot disagree with this more. This attitude existed well before @papagenos starting mentioning it in his content but it seems much more widespread now and I hate it.

I've been dying to see the boi get into Smash for going on a quarter of a century, which also happens to be 83% of my time spent alive, and I'll be DAMNED if all we get for Geno in the best Smash game we will ever get is a costume that we already had in Smash 4.

See, what you guys seem to misunderstand is that the idea of a Deluxe/Premium costume and a music track doesn't exist for Geno: at best it would be an updated version of the old costume like Heihachi or Gil. There is no reason to make a new costume or add more content when Square makes the same amount of money by just agreeing to have assets reused or touched up.

Not to mention this is extremely defeatist and pessimistic, as it sounds like a sigh of defeat whenever it comes up.

Just like DistantKingdom says, don't accept less, fight for more.
I feel like I have to remind people way too often that rolling over and accepting a Mii Costume at this point is just... There's no flattering way to describe it. One cannot honestly be ok with or even consider it a "consolation" prize when:

Geno was the only Mii to get a splash screen in Smash 4
Sakurai claims he wanted Geno in Brawl
Every first party fan favorite Mii costume got upgraded to playable
Geno was added as a Legendary spirit in the base game
Banjo got in
Geno's costume didn't return for nearly two years

There are a lot of characters who are done dirty, but if Geno's costume comes back after all of that, it's just Nintendo/Sakurai being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole. Same with Lloyd at this point, especially now that the two Namco costumes that didn't have a massive fanbase behind them showed up in totally unrelated packs, if Lloyd comes back with someone else, it's just kicking that fanbase while they're down. I don't normally pull for another character aside from Geno, but I've really come to the point where if Geno and Lloyd aren't fighters in this pass, it's a slight to the fans, full stop.

And a happy birthday to Lord Woomy Lord Woomy while the keyboard's still warm.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I can’t explain this journey for Geno’s return. I think most of the people I try to talk to about Smash are content with who we have got so far, and believe me, I can’t thank Sakurai enough for what he’s put together. Bringing King K. Rool and Banjo back, it still doesn’t seem real. And I don’t think it ever will. But, because I still have a horse in the race, I still can’t be fulfilled until my TRUE most wanted gets in. I haven’t been able to “enjoy” Smash Ultimate like everybody else who got their character. We’re coming down to the wire, and for better or worse I must keep my eyes on speculation, because Geno is still in it. I consider myself lucky, the poor Isaac and Waluigi fans were left heartbroken before speculation for DLC even began. Sometimes there’s a small part of me that wishes Sakurai would’ve “got it over with” with Hero and just revealed Geno as a costume again, to end the torture. It’s quite amazing how much we’ve gone through, but still Geno is standing. So for 9 year old me, I must have Geno in this game. And bring him back. I need closure, after 24 years it’s got to happen.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I swear some people are so toxic and hypocritical towards characters. That waluigi for smash account said he believes Nintendo are the ones stopping Geno getting in smash so all I did was reply saying I personally believe it’s the other way round and it’s square stopping him, nothing negative, I just gave my view and then he proceeded to tell me how he’s irrelevant and there’s better choices and then he went on to say Geno is not profitable and banjo is and that’s the reason why we have banjo in smash. Some people are so toxic.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
If Geno isnt a character, that doesn't make Nintendo or Sakurai "an asshole", that just means negotiations fell through and they couldn't get the other party to agree to something more than what they could get. Sometimes things just don't work out in the business world. You cannot tell me, after everything that this game has become after all this time, that the people involved with this game are "assholes". I've never agreed with this train of thought, and I'm not going to start.

If Geno is just a costume, then that's as much as Square was willing to concede, and they unfortunately have the final say in this stuff, because they own the character in question. I highly doubt that Sakurai hasn't tried, considering the history involved with the character.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Last year's TGA were so bad that it put me off of watching TGA this year. I wasn't one of the people who demanded a Smash reveal. I would have been happy to just get some strong Nintendo news in general. A Smash reveal would have done that for me, but so would news on Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Breath of the Wild 2, a new Mario game, a new Donkey Kong game... There were many things that would have left me feeling satisfied. Instead, we got No More Heroes 3 and Bravely Default 2, and that was it, unless I'm forgetting something. And I mean, those are pretty cool games, but just not as big as I wanted. I wish we had gotten them announced, plus one bigger announcement.

Then there were the awards themselves. Three hours and we spent what, 20 minutes on the actual awards? People making acceptance speeches would get cut off after only a couple minutes, if their award even got handed out at all and wasn't just flashed across the screen. It was like they had no time for the awards, because they had to fill almost all that time with musical performances and adbreaks telling me I shouldn't vape but should buy Magic the Gathering. Look, I do want TGA to be more than just giving out the awards. I wanna see the cool stuff companies are putting out. I'm fine with adbreaks and musical performances - it's just that that stuff seemed to HEAVILY outweigh the handing out of awards.

So that's why I'm not gonna bother watching TGA this year. I didn't even have the issue of staying up, since I get on weird sleep schedules. Last year's were just so insufferable, that I'm just gonna wait for whatever standalone videos get posted to YouTube after. I can check out any cool trailers that way. If I miss a live Smash reveal, so be it. It won't be long till I'm able to watch it after that.
Yeah I see what you mean. Even without Smash, the announcements, especially Nintendo-related ones, were extremely barebones. I knew TGA had a chance of being bad, but when the final announcement is a Fast and Furious game, that's how you know it was a bad show. I was at the very least hoping for Crash 4, but even that didn't happen.

I'm still gonna stay up anyway to see what gets revealed since I do think their is a much better chance of a reveal this year then it was last year, but I may regret this. At the very least, I just want some sort of Nintendo announcement even if it isn't Smash.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I swear some people are so toxic and hypocritical towards characters. That waluigi for smash account said he believes Nintendo are the ones stopping Geno getting in smash so all I did was reply saying I personally believe it’s the other way round and it’s square stopping him, nothing negative, I just gave my view and then he proceeded to tell me how he’s irrelevant and there’s better choices and then he went on to say Geno is not profitable and banjo is and that’s the reason why we have banjo in smash. Some people are so toxic.
The problem lies therein that Waluigi fans and Geno fans think that one character getting in means the other isn’t so there’s going to be some butting heads either way. I’m sure that same account has dealt with Geno fans saying that Waluigi can’t get in because he’s an Assist, only has appeared in spin-offs, and that he’s just a meme. It’s two sides of the same coin.

Last edited:

Colors

Smash Rookie
I feel like I have to remind people way too often that rolling over and accepting a Mii Costume at this point is just... There's no flattering way to describe it. One cannot honestly be ok with or even consider it a "consolation" prize when:

Geno was the only Mii to get a splash screen in Smash 4
Sakurai claims he wanted Geno in Brawl
Every first party fan favorite Mii costume got upgraded to playable
Geno was added as a Legendary spirit in the base game
Banjo got in
Geno's costume didn't return for nearly two years

There are a lot of characters who are done dirty, but if Geno's costume comes back after all of that, it's just Nintendo/Sakurai being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole. Same with Lloyd at this point, especially now that the two Namco costumes that didn't have a massive fanbase behind them showed up in totally unrelated packs, if Lloyd comes back with someone else, it's just kicking that fanbase while they're down. I don't normally pull for another character aside from Geno, but I've really come to the point where if Geno and Lloyd aren't fighters in this pass, it's a slight to the fans, full stop.

And a happy birthday to Lord Woomy Lord Woomy while the keyboard's still warm.

And I feel like I need to remind people that people are getting too riled up over simple speculation. What gives anyone here the active authority to tell someone how they should be feeling about a Mii Costume? I mean this with sincerity because Smash Speculators like to operate in extremes. It feels like you're flinging a lot of harsh language around when, lo and behold, we still have more than half of the Fighter's Pass to look forward to. I feel like, in the way you're talking, one is rolling over and accepting a wall of negativity and cynicism.

I would ask you to keep the Faith in Nintendo/Sakurai, and remind ourselves that they don't wake up every day wondering how they can make fans hate them. As you've illustrated there are a lot of really good things magically in line for Geno, and we're also blessed with Sakurai's words on top of that. From the last Fighter's Pass, we've seen Newcomers that cater to old audiences, new audiences, western audiences, eastern audiences, international audiences. One can easily observe how the last Fighter's Pass was carefully crafted with wide, universal appeal and it feels like this Fighter's Pass is no different. I'm sure Sakurai is doing everything he can to make the fans feel satisfied. If Geno's costume comes back after all of this, it would just mean it didn't work out as well planned. As far as I'm concerned, the lack of Mii Costume is all the evidence I need to know that it was omitted on purpose to potentially expand upon, potential keyword.

So would Geno as a Mii Costume serve as a consolation prize? Yes. If no other SMRPG content (bar Spirits) was in the game and this remained the sole representation from a dead franchise, yes. One is more than zero. I think people will be more pleased if he returned as a costume than if he didn't return in any form at all.

But there's no room to be bittersweet about anything, we still have HALF the pass left!

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Just walk away. And remember that fortunately Sakurai is making the game and not them.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If Geno isnt a character, that doesn't make Nintendo or Sakurai "an asshole", that just means negotiations fell through and they couldn't get the other party to agree to something more than what they could get. Sometimes things just don't work out in the business world. You cannot tell me, after everything that this game has become after all this time, that the people involved with this game are "assholes". I've never agreed with this train of thought, and I'm not going to start.

If Geno is just a costume, then that's as much as Square was willing to concede, and they unfortunately have the final say in this stuff, because they own the character in question. I highly doubt that Sakurai hasn't tried, considering the history involved with the character.
True. I think the only point of contention people would have if he was a costume is why it took them two years to confirm it. Same with Lloyd. Granted, we won't know who decided on that, but it is still frustrating. Him being a costume is lackluster enough, but to also deny people to be able to use it years after the game came out? That's BS, I'm sorry. It gives off similar vibes to how badly they handled Ridley's reveal in Smash 4, just the utter pointless secrecy.

Pakky

Smash Hero
it would be nice if Geno became the Blue Mario Bro. If that SMRPG rumor is true.

I just hope that if he is in Smash (which seems likely to me) that they don't waste him like they do with Ice Climbers and Falcon.

Longevity is just as important as winning the war.

(Looks at K Rool with pride and hope)

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi has little to no effect on Geno's chances.

Much like Banjo and Steve, they can, and likely will, both get in at some point in Ultimate.
No matter the similarities, Nintendo has a way different mindset with Ultimate then a lot of people think. If they can include both Geno and Waluigi, they will, nothing is stopping them from doing that. "Same series!", "Similar situations!", none of that nonsense is holding them back. Nintendo knows people want both of these characters, and they could deliver on both.
My current guess for this possibility is that Geno is in Vol. 2, and Waluigi being the final character as a bonus outside of the pass they announce at E3.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I have such mixed feelings on a deluxe Mii costume. Part of me honestly would prefer to get nothing. I really don't like that they potentially held off the costume for over a year; I'd rather have had the band-aid ripped off early on. I wouldn't think less of the dev team if it happened, since plans for playable Geno could have fallen through. But I'd still be lying if I said I'd enjoy a Mii costume. Also doesn't help that Mii Gunner honestly isn't that fun to play for me. Though at least her sluggish movement speed feels kinda right for Sans. It really wouldn't feel good for Geno

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Geno will not get a "Deluxe" Mii, that isn't what these Mii costumes are for.
These "Deluxe Miis" are for characters that never really had a chance to begin with.
Geno, has a great chance for multiple reasons, there will be no reason to make such a highly regarded character a "Deluxe" Mii.
These type of Miis are supposed to be good and fun additions, not heart-breaking deconfirmations, and Nintendo- once again, knows this.

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Why would a Mii Costume be upgraded to a "Deluxe Mii Costume" that legit makes no sense lol. They're either still a Mii costume, or an actual fighter. On the topic of Deluxe Mii Costumes, I'm so happy Cuophead got one, he never had a chance to begin with, but I'll gladly take it because I can do some stupid stuff with his head and body.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly, I feel like Geno being a deluxe Mii would be a huge slap to the face and I feel Nintendo knows this. The only way I can see a deluxe Geno Mii is if, for some reason, Square turned down Geno for another character, which as I've said before, is unlikely.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
There’s really no excuse why we’ve had to wait this long for Geno. The powers that be know how big a request he is. It’s criminal it took this long to get King K. Rool, at least I can understand Banjo because he was tied up in rights issues. But K. Rool is Nintendo and we’re just getting him now? Give me a break.

D

Deleted member

And I feel like I need to remind people that people are getting too riled up over simple speculation. What gives anyone here the active authority to tell someone how they should be feeling about a Mii Costume? I mean this with sincerity because Smash Speculators like to operate in extremes. It feels like you're flinging a lot of harsh language around when, lo and behold, we still have more than half of the Fighter's Pass to look forward to. I feel like, in the way you're talking, one is rolling over and accepting a wall of negativity and cynicism.

I would ask you to keep the Faith in Nintendo/Sakurai, and remind ourselves that they don't wake up every day wondering how they can make fans hate them. As you've illustrated there are a lot of really good things magically in line for Geno, and we're also blessed with Sakurai's words on top of that. From the last Fighter's Pass, we've seen Newcomers that cater to old audiences, new audiences, western audiences, eastern audiences, international audiences. One can easily observe how the last Fighter's Pass was carefully crafted with wide, universal appeal and it feels like this Fighter's Pass is no different. I'm sure Sakurai is doing everything he can to make the fans feel satisfied. If Geno's costume comes back after all of this, it would just mean it didn't work out as well planned. As far as I'm concerned, the lack of Mii Costume is all the evidence I need to know that it was omitted on purpose to potentially expand upon, potential keyword.

So would Geno as a Mii Costume serve as a consolation prize? Yes. If no other SMRPG content (bar Spirits) was in the game and this remained the sole representation from a dead franchise, yes. One is more than zero. I think people will be more pleased if he returned as a costume than if he didn't return in any form at all.

But there's no room to be bittersweet about anything, we still have HALF the pass left!
I wouldn't say we've been "blessed" when the man's also mentioned Lloyd, Heihachi, Mach Rider and even James ****ing Bond as potential characters and we have no clue how many others have been left on the drawing board and never discussed publicly. It's over the top and exceptionally defeatist when I say "Nintendo or Sakurai are being assholes" or "Sakurai lied" when referring to his comments and the lack of any followup on it, and I know that. That kind of hyperbolic talk doesn't really get anyone to see my point any better but hey, my brain says "feel this way and say some stupid ****" and my mouth or my hands are like "**** yeah!"

I have this problem caring what Sakurai has "blessed" a character with because it always ends up in speculation that x character now has greater chance, but the truth of the matter is that it doesn't change anything and might even harm them. Sakurai said Ridley was too big and could never be kept true to his character... and here we are with Ridley, true to character and pretty true to form, but this is like... the one time that Sakurai mentioned a character and they got in. Every other character he's ever talked about just doesn't make it, and I think we're looking at the truth with Heihachi - Sakurai says that he considered Heihachi possible as a fighter, but the intricacies made him too hard to develop. Obviously, Sakurai never would have brought a Tekken character to Smash without bringing over the left/right controls that Tekken is iconic for, and people spent so much time saying "well Heihachi's costume is missing and Sakurai loves a challenge" to the point he was starting to gain speculation traction, but the reality is that Sakurai did like the concept of a one-two punch character... and put it on Min Min. This eliminates the relatively massive barrier to entry that Heihachi could have brought with him and simplifies it down to a beginner friendly noodle armed girl.

Basically what I'm saying here is that sure, almost a decade and a half ago, Sakurai thought "damn sure might be nice to put that dude with all the guns from Super Mario RPG into Smash", Square wouldn't pick up the phone because the caller ID said "Nintendo" and he just had to give up on the dream. He put Mega Man and Mii Gunner in the next game and for all we know he probably figured he'd done as much as he wanted to do with projectile based characters. I'm one of the first to tell people that Geno has more potential than "projectile zoner man", but just because I could come up with a brilliant moveset for a handful of characters doesn't mean Sakurai or his team can, just like any character I think can't have a moveset can have one realized by the same team. Moveset ideas can be passed on to all sorts of different characters and we'd never know, for all we know Mach Rider became Wario as soon as Wario got a motorcycle and James Bond is Solid Snake.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say we've been "blessed" when the man's also mentioned Lloyd, Heihachi, Mach Rider and even James *ing Bond as potential characters and we have no clue how many others have been left on the drawing board and never discussed publicly. It's over the top and exceptionally defeatist when I say "Nintendo or Sakurai are being assholes" or "Sakurai lied" when referring to his comments and the lack of any followup on it, and I know that. That kind of hyperbolic talk doesn't really get anyone to see my point any better but hey, my brain says "feel this way and say some stupid *" and my mouth or my hands are like "**** yeah!"

I have this problem caring what Sakurai has "blessed" a character with because it always ends up in speculation that x character now has greater chance, but the truth of the matter is that it doesn't change anything and might even harm them. Sakurai said Ridley was too big and could never be kept true to his character... and here we are with Ridley, true to character and pretty true to form, but this is like... the one time that Sakurai mentioned a character and they got in. Every other character he's ever talked about just doesn't make it, and I think we're looking at the truth with Heihachi - Sakurai says that he considered Heihachi possible as a fighter, but the intricacies made him too hard to develop. Obviously, Sakurai never would have brought a Tekken character to Smash without bringing over the left/right controls that Tekken is iconic for, and people spent so much time saying "well Heihachi's costume is missing and Sakurai loves a challenge" to the point he was starting to gain speculation traction, but the reality is that Sakurai did like the concept of a one-two punch character... and put it on Min Min. This eliminates the relatively massive barrier to entry that Heihachi could have brought with him and simplifies it down to a beginner friendly noodle armed girl.

Basically what I'm saying here is that sure, almost a decade and a half ago, Sakurai thought "damn sure might be nice to put that dude with all the guns from Super Mario RPG into Smash", Square wouldn't pick up the phone because the caller ID said "Nintendo" and he just had to give up on the dream. He put Mega Man and Mii Gunner in the next game and for all we know he probably figured he'd done as much as he wanted to do with projectile based characters. I'm one of the first to tell people that Geno has more potential than "projectile zoner man", but just because I could come up with a brilliant moveset for a handful of characters doesn't mean Sakurai or his team can, just like any character I think can't have a moveset can have one realized by the same team. Moveset ideas can be passed on to all sorts of different characters and we'd never know, for all we know Mach Rider became Wario as soon as Wario got a motorcycle and James Bond is Solid Snake.
Didn't he also mention not feeling like he could add an Animal Crossing character to Brawl because they were too nonviolent? Didn't he bring up ARMS around the time Ultimate released, saying a character from the series was to recent to get added? That would be a few times now that Sakurai mentioned characters, and ended up adding them later.

Your point still stands about wanting to add characters and then never adding them, though. I understand why James Bond would be left out, but it's weird that we still don't have Mach Rider after having Wario on a bike for so long, and don't have Heihachi after they've experimented with the fighting game character archetype three times.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think Geno and Chocobo's missing costumes right now at least means we're getting more Square Enix content regardless. So I thin that kinda narrows things down somewhat, especially since I don't think we've heard too much about possible Square Enix reps
I somewhat agree, only because costumes that are unrelated to a DLC character have been dropped, such as Travis with Steve, or Sans with Terry.

I do think more SE content is coming, but I could also see someone like Chocobo getting announced alongside a random DLC character.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
There’s really no excuse why we’ve had to wait this long for Geno. The powers that be know how big a request he is. It’s criminal it took this long to get King K. Rool, at least I can understand Banjo because he was tied up in rights issues. But K. Rool is Nintendo and we’re just getting him now? Give me a break.
Nintendo: "You don't care about that oversized space dragon, overweight crocodile, He-Man, another mammal & bird duo, or gun Pinnochio... right?"
Ballot results, presumably: "Wrong."

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
"You don't care about that oversized space dragon, overweight crocodile, He-Man, another mammal & bird duo, or gun Pinnochio... right?"
I just wanted to say that, I hope I don't come off as ungrateful for the things that Sakurai has given us. I'm just fatigued that we're still calling out for this character.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Before we get off the topic of Geno and Waluigi, I'd like to say that I don't believe Waluigi would impact Geno chances or vice versa for numerous reasons:
  • We've had two characters from the same series as DLC within the same period before with Roy and Corrin during Smash 4's DLC.
  • While they both come from the same series, Geno is owned by SquareEnix whereas Waluigi is owned by Nintendo.
  • Waluigi isn't just any character, he's easily one of the biggest long-running fan requested characters in Smash history. I highly doubt that they'd want to limit themselves to one big fan favorite character with this pass, especially if this is going to be the last of Ultimate's DLC.
  • Waluigi feels like he'd be more of a last minute bonus outside of the Fighters Pass anyways.

Funny that you mention K. Rool, because there's this post that goes into a bit of detail about this very topic.

Basically, higher-ups have a much different view of things than we do. They don't spend all day on social media or peruse Smashboards threads on the regular, because doing so will not give you a clear idea as to what characters the fans actually want on average. If you searched for Waluigi on twitter and found plenty of posts from people saying they want him in Smash, how would you be able to tell if they really want Waluigi? How can you be sure they aren't joking around or, as the kids say, "memeing"? How can you be sure, if you decide to go through the rigamarol of including Waluigi as a fighter, that you're making a correct descision that won't come back to bite you in the ass?

Instead, they have spreadsheets, they have graphs, they have pie charts, they have venn diagrams. They have cold, numerical information that can be broken down by age, race, gender, income, country, favorite soft drink, what have you, in order to determine which characters they think general audiences will be happiest with. Most if not all of the newcomers for Smash 4 were chosen this way:
  • Mario is a popular series, so let's include Rosalina and Bowser Jr.
  • Pokemon is a huge cash cow, so let's pencil in a Pokemon from the newest generation.
  • Fire Emblem has been revitalized with Awakening, so let's add one of the protagonists from that game.
  • Animal Crossing's a big everygreen title for us, so let's try to make a Villager work as a fighter this time.
  • Speaking of, let's revisit the Miis as a fighter. People will love to play as Hitler!
  • Kid Icarus just had a new game and has now become one of Nintendo's more well-recognized franchises, so let's add Palutena.
  • People love those old retro franchises, so let's add Little Mac and Duck Hunt.
  • Tons of fans loved it when we partnered with Konami and SEGA for Snake and Sonic, so let's try this same thing with Capcom and Bandai-Namco.
  • So many people went out of their way to get Xenoblade Chronicles localized, so they surely must want Shulk in Smash, right?
  • WiiFit Trainer. (Maybe they wanted us to lose some weight...?)
  • People no doubt miss some of the older fighters who were cut, so let's include some of them back as DLC.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
"You don't care about that oversized space dragon, overweight crocodile, He-Man, another mammal & bird duo, or gun Pinnochio... right?"
"K. Rool and Simon will never get in. They haven't been relevant since the 90s!"

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, circa 2018, colorized

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
my problem with Waluigi is I feel he has to be a bonus character like PP. Because the only unique thing he could actually bring with him is a possible Mario Sports or Mario Kart stage. The music is still Mario and the spirits would be all Mario. With Geno there’s a whole plethora of content not present in Smash that could come from SMRPG but I don’t feel the same way about the Wah man.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I agree, Waluigi is way more likely to be a bonus character like Plant
my problem with Waluigi is I feel he has to be a bonus character like PP. Because the only unique thing he could actually bring with him is a possible Mario Sports or Mario Kart stage. The music is still Mario and the spirits would be all Mario. With Geno there’s a whole plethora of content not present in Smash that could come from SMRPG but I don’t feel the same way about the Wah man.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
As much as I would love both Geno and Waluigi, I only think we'll get one of them unless we get bonus characters, in which case I think we could get Geno as a Pass character and Waluigi as a bonus. I just feel like if Waluigi were to get in the Pass, the content would just be too random, and I say this as a Waluigi supporter. Of course you can implement some sort of tennis stage, but how would it connect to Waluigi? Of course you can incorporate numerous Mario Sports songs that aren't in yet, but how would it connect to Waluigi? I guess for Spirits you can incorporate the OC's from Mario Tennis, but again, how would this connect to Waluigi?

I feel these Challenger Packs should not only be heavily connected to these franchises, but I also think these Packs should be heavily connected to the characters as well, and considering Waluigi doesn't have any sort of content to solely rep HIM, then I think he is far more likely as a bonus. Compare that to Geno, who can represent a severely underrepresented game by bringing along a stage, which can bring along our first Bowser's Castle stage or some other unique location from this game, the music that hasn't seen the light of day in any other game other than SMRPG, and Spirits that can be based on the numerous unique and original characters from this game. All of this makes me feel like their is FAR more to work with for a Geno Pass than a Waluigi one, and its why I do believe Waluigi has a better shot as a bonus. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but this is where I currently stand.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've never liked the deluxe costume argument because I feel it's settling. In Smash 4, most people absolutely dreaded the Mii costume updates because they always included at least one character that was a huge fan favorite but with Ultimate it's been a lot smarter and overwhelmingly given to characters who were a longshot to begin with. Do you have any idea how ****in' cool it is to have honest to God Cuphead and Undertale content in Smash? Sans and Cuphead being full on characters was never likely and yet they got in as Mii costumes because there was enough demand to warrant it. Someone like Geno is like K. Rool in that they got costumes in Smash 4 because that was the best they could do in such a short timeframe. THAT was a consolation prize and for a super popular character to get this twice in a row is tone deaf. If Inkling and K. Rool had been Mii costumes a second time, a good chunk of people would have been pissed and that's how I feel concerning Geno. He's consistently a top 10 character and Sakurai himself has acknowledged his popularity and history. Throw on top of this that Geno has dodged the axe for two years running and I feel like its defeatist to just be like "he's going to be a dumpy Mii costume again."

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
As much as I would love both Geno and Waluigi, I only think we'll get one of them unless we get bonus characters, in which case I think we could get Geno as a Pass character and Waluigi as a bonus. I just feel like if Waluigi were to get in the Pass, the content would just be too random, and I say this as a Waluigi supporter. Of course you can implement some sort of tennis stage, but how would it connect to Waluigi? Of course you can incorporate numerous Mario Sports songs that aren't in yet, but how would it connect to Waluigi? I guess for Spirits you can incorporate the OC's from Mario Tennis, but again, how would this connect to Waluigi?

I feel these Challenger Packs should not only be heavily connected to these franchises, but I also think these Packs should be heavily connected to the characters as well, and considering Waluigi doesn't have any sort of content to solely rep HIM, then I think he is far more likely as a bonus. Compare that to Geno, who can represent a severely underrepresented game by bringing along a stage, which can bring along our first Bowser's Castle stage or some other unique location from this game, the music that hasn't seen the light of day in any other game other than SMRPG, and Spirits that can be based on the numerous unique and original characters from this game. All of this makes me feel like their is FAR more to work with for a Geno Pass than a Waluigi one, and its why I do believe Waluigi has a better shot as a bonus. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but this is where I currently stand.
I can't believe you would forget about the GREATEST thing related to Waluigi known as DDR: Mario Mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom