• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Urshifu wouldn't work in Smash.
Urshifu has two forms that it cannot switch between. It starts as a Kubfu and upon looking at the scroll at the top of either the Tower of Darkness or Tower of waters, it evolves into either one of two forms. You can only go through one on a single save file. How the heck would that work in Smash? Not at all.
Believe me, I've played it.

Geno.
Not really true. Every character is 90% creative liberties when it comes to Smash. But that I mean even tiny things. The major things are completely fine but small things which are just nitpicks are where they are most common. Fox, can't use most of the stuff he could do, Captain Falcon was also completely made up, Ness and Lucas take most stuff from the party members etc. It would just be making a minor liberty to create a unique mechanic.

it's not like this would be the first time it happened with Pokemon specifically as they added aura to Lucario to make him stand out more as his specials are admittedly kinda basic and PT had the stamina mechanic in Brawl used to try and replicate PP which basically made them weaker every second they were out instead of doing so with every successive move but done to a larger degree so it wasn't just staling. Heck, the stamina mechanic could have been actually good (crippling, still yes but more manageable, yes) if it was made to replicate the source material closer but they didn't and still kept it so that you had to switch when that was already crippling as there was no airborne switching etc.

If they didn't even try to replicate PP properly which could have helped omit SOME of the crippling weaknesses the Trainer had in Brawl and also be able to kill two birds with one stone then I don't think there is much stopping them for Urshifu especially since that could actually be a fun and unique mechanic instead of a thorn in the side of the player.

This is one reason I hope they don't slap a magic meter on Geno based on FP or anything. Robin still gets back up Levins, Inkling is still able to attack and Hero still has his pretty good neutral kit (aside from that utter BS up smash, why would you add a crit to something that doesn't even hit most of the time) while Id imagine Geno would suffer a lot more

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Not really true. Every character is 90% creative liberties when it comes to Smash. But that I mean even tiny things. The major things are completely fine but small things which are just nitpicks are where they are most common. Fox, can't use most of the stuff he could do, Captain Falcon was also completely made up, Ness and Lucas take most stuff from the party members etc. It would just be making a minor liberty to create a unique mechanic.

it's not like this would be the first time it happened with Pokemon specifically as they added aura to Lucario to make him stand out more as his specials are admittedly kinda basic and PT had the stamina mechanic in Brawl used to try and replicate PP which basically made them weaker every second they were out instead of doing so with every successive move but done to a larger degree so it wasn't just staling. Heck, the stamina mechanic could have been actually good (crippling, still yes but more manageable, yes) if it was made to replicate the source material closer but they didn't and still kept it so that you had to switch when that was already crippling as there was no airborne switching etc.

If they didn't even try to replicate PP properly which could have helped omit SOME of the crippling weaknesses the Trainer had in Brawl and also be able to kill two birds with one stone then I don't think there is much stopping them for Urshifu especially since that could actually be a fun and unique mechanic instead of a thorn in the side of the player.

This is one reason I hope they don't slap a magic meter on Geno based on FP or anything. Robin still gets back up Levins, Inkling is still able to attack and Hero still has his pretty good neutral kit (aside from that utter BS up smash, why would you add a crit to something that doesn't even hit most of the time) while Id imagine Geno would suffer a lot more
I honestly doubt that they would slap a magic meter on Geno. Unlike Hero, most of his projectiles would be...well...projectile-based (like bullets, rocket punches, etc.) and not magic-based. There are plenty of other characters that use magic without the limitation of a meter. Plus, the magic meter was already done to Hero and Sakurai has never been one to try the same gimmick twice. At very least, he never implements gimmicks in the exact same way. If Geno gets any kind of gimmick, I imagine it would be some kind of timed hit mechanic. The closest thing I think they'd give him to a meter would be the triple star "hold Y for Power" charge on his Geno Beam but that would be mostly aesthetic.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ryu is fine , even if honestly , he's not really my thing. I do admit that I remember him being brought up in FP1 speculation , but he got a massive boost after Steve for some reason.
I think the reason is partially due to Vergeben. He'd been saying since launch that some kind of Minecraft content was planned for the game, and then it turned out that negotiations for Steve had been ongoing for about five years. The only other unreleased character that he's known about the negotiations for (at least from what he's posted online) is Ryu Hayabusa, who he spoke on here and here. (he said that he wasn't 100% sure about Hayabusa, but his name had been brought up among those circles at least a year ago, and apparently, Koei-Tecmo is negotiating with Nintendo for something in Smash)

I'm not sure how reliable all of that is (it seems a lot more vague compared to his pre-launch claims, where he said that any alleged leak that didn't have Simon Belmont or Isabelle was fake), but even without it, Ryu Hayabusa seems like one of the most likely characters to me, along with Geno. (Geno for sheer fan demand, much like K. Rool, and Hayabusa for his franchise's long history, his company's closeness to Nintendo, and Koei-Tecmo being one of the last big Japanese third parties without a playable character in Smash)

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
So, Nintendo decided to wake up WOKE this morning.
At first I thought they were going to remaster the DS remake when I saw this, but this is still nice too. Not sure why it didn’t release on the NSO app, but I suppose that’s to “justify” for them localizing it.
But man, Nintendo actually listening to their fans and localizing an old game? If only there was a game that is already localized and is constantly requested on NSO.
5F72C24D-06F0-4144-AB27-47E3CC0A0640.png
Hell even better, a game that’s over a decade yet would be easy to localize AND would earn them a lot of money and fan support.
A4610DC0-29F3-4A96-B1DC-199463D7F10E.jpeg

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
-Yet another Japanese exclusive brought to the West.

-Yet another Nintendo franchise anniversary milestone that is being celebrated internationally.

-Nintendo not so subtly implying that this won't be the only Fire Emblem 30th anniversary announcement.

I'm dyin' lads... This puts a ton of points on the board for the Fire Emblem 6/7 remake I heard about last fall being true and it honestly makes me want to scream into the Void™. Jesus, how many of these rumors are going to be borderline confirmed but continue to be put on hold? New Kirby, new DK, Golden Sun Remake, SMRPG Remake, Zelda Remasters, and now probable Fire Emblem 6/7 remake... This year is nothing but suffering...

D

Deleted member

This is really cool!

Edit: I can feel the heat coming from Mother 3 fans...
As a Mother 3 fan, I hope they never localize it. The west doesn't deserve that game and that game doesn't deserve the pitfalls of localization.

Play the fan translation and enjoy an accurate conversion to the English language from someone who had no shareholders to impress.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
The FE localization will be available for a limited time, and not just the anniversary edition apparently:

Nintendo has dumb.
036609DF-AA7C-4E7B-8DC3-4B92CA04F4D2.png

Seriously? I thought Mario would have been the only exception due to how massively popular it is, but they’re also doing to to FE? I don’t even have to say how ******* stupid that practice is, no one likes it and it creates an anti-consumer image of Nintendo. This basically confirms my fears that they’re very likely going to do this next year with Metroid Prime Trilogy and the rumored Zelda 3D Collection, and now I’m sad.
I really hope more people speak up about this and criticize Nintendo more publicly because if anyone is capable of changing their minds, it is the fans.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, it appears the FE rumors are true after all. But I've no interest in the games to be honest. Still, if this confirms more of what Fatman has heard, then that's great.

Last edited:

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
As a Mother 3 fan, I hope they never localize it. The west doesn't deserve that game and that game doesn't deserve the pitfalls of localization.

Play the fan translation and enjoy an accurate conversion to the English language from someone who had no shareholders to impress.
The fan translation is fantastic. Though I would support an official localization if one ever happened

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Something to note of the Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light announcement is that this is the most clearest proof that Super Smash Bros. helps introduce players to franchises. The way the video opens up is KEY, portraying what many western Smash players thought when they first saw Marth and Roy in Melee.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
hopefully the add a bunch of improvements, however unlikely. the nes games lacked a ton of user convince, just to name a few
you cant see how far a unit can move, you have to count it out yourself
you have to calculate damage and if you can double, yourself
you don't get a hint of who you have to talk to someone with to recruit them, until you are in combat with them. didn't field that unit? restart the battle and bring them this time.
a bunch of units just can't promote making them useless long term. knights have a promotion, but due to a coding error they cant promote

odds are this is a limited time due to being fire emblems anniversary game, like with the Mario collection

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah, Nintendo needs to stop this silly crap with the limited time only. If SMRPG gets that remake for its anniversary, and they do it with that, I’m gonna be p*****.
On the plus side, they only seem to be doing this with re-releases. Games like Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, or the Link's Awakening remake don't have that "limited time only" nonsense, so a hypothetical Super Mario RPG remake wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) either.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

Actually, aura for Lucario comes from the anime and Pokedex entries as being literally the aura Pokemon. Same thing with Pichu's electricity hurting itself in Smash is based on it's Dex entry not how it works in the games. You could, however, argue that liberties were taken with Incineroar to make it more wrestler-like than it is really shown to be in the games or anime but it's still pretty clearly a wrestler styled Pokemon regardless so it's not egregious. Blending the forms of Urfishu would be a huge liberty and would be too much imo.

But anyway...Geno being able to have customizations due to being a doll in a hypothetical sequel would be really cool and I think the direction to go. Almost like how Samus' suit gets upgrades. I wouldn't want Geno to really involve different toys because the original doll is so interesting and is largely why Geno is so cool imo so I think upgrades would be the way to go. Also, here's a story arch for you: Gaz's mom is an undercover Smithy agent who actually designed Geno dolls to be a part of Smithy's army.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
On the plus side, they only seem to be doing this with re-releases. Games like Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, or the Link's Awakening remake don't have that "limited time only" nonsense, so a hypothetical Super Mario RPG remake wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) either.
I mean it’s a terrible idea. At least it’s digital, so you don’t have to worry about getting beat by scalpers for physical copies.

But anyway, I’m really going all in on that SMRPG remake for its anniversary rumor. This announcement put it over the top for me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My tinfoil hat theory as to why some of these games are LTOs is because they're meant to be "appetizers" for upcoming new games. The Fire Emblem 6/7 remake has been backed by a ton of people since last year and now Nathan Drake is supporting the new 3D Mario rumors I heard last fall so my existential angst has increased significantly the last two days.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
  • ANOTHER Limited Digital Release of Legacy Content, this time for a game that has (technically, given the DS remake) never even been released outside of Japan
1602882930510.png

Are people starting to understand what I mean now with the whole "3D Allstars sets some REALLY bad precedents" take? It makes genuniely zero sense to not keep it up on the Eshop, but apparently Nintendo sees more value in FOMO than actually letting people PLAY/BUY THEIR GAMES. Is this just what they're going to do for every anniversary now? Imagine if the inevitable Zelda Collection has Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD and it's limited. IMAGINE IF THEY TRANSLATED MOTHER 3 AND IT WAS LIMITED, BECAUSE YOU KNOW THEY WOULD PULL THAT **** AT THIS POINT

Powerman293

Smash Ace
  • ANOTHER Limited Digital Release of Legacy Content, this time for a game that has (technically, given the DS remake) never even been released outside of Japan
View attachment 289946
Are people starting to understand what I mean now with the whole "3D Allstars sets some REALLY bad precedents" take? It makes genuniely zero sense to not keep it up on the Eshop, but apparently Nintendo sees more value in FOMO than actually letting people PLAY/BUY THEIR GAMES. Is this just what they're going to do for every anniversary now? Imagine if the inevitable Zelda Collection has Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD and it's limited. IMAGINE IF THEY TRANSLATED MOTHER 3 AND IT WAS LIMITED, BECAUSE YOU KNOW THEY WOULD PULL THAT **** AT THIS POINT
I didn't expect it to be this soon. It hasn't even been a month since 3D All Stars and Super Mario 35 and they're doing this AGAIN.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I didn't expect it to be this soon. It hasn't even been a month since 3D All Stars and Super Mario 35 and they're doing this AGAIN.
Ek8FZXbVMAIUopS.jpg

Also, just noticed something, the """"PHYSICAL""""" version? NOT ACTUALLY PHYSICAL, JUST A DOWNLOAD CODE, MEANING THE ONLY WAY TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME IS DIGITALLY, AND ITS LIMITED.

VALVE.jpg

THIS IS GREAT PRESERVATION RIGHT GUYS?

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Oh and also, they didn't include any goodies with Mario 3D All-Stars, but they did with Fire Emblem and Kirby??? Not even like stickers or a poster? That's BS.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1319279583036755969?s=20 Oh and on the topic of collectors editions, imagine if there was a collectors edition for the Mario RPG remake where it has a high-quality statue of Bowser's Keep with Exor on top or Mario's appearance in that game, or a map that highlights all of the locations in that game? I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Nintendo is trying to hype up and sell an nes game In the year of our Lord 2020 for a non single digit number of $. I'd be mad if it wasn't already freely available for 0 so honestly this just made my day

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Do you mean for Ultimate? Cause yeah, we're definitely not getting another character from them till the next Smash.
Part of me wants Fire Emblem to go on hold until Smash is done just to hopefully guarantee that it doesn't get another character.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Yeah, Nintendo needs to stop this silly crap with the limited time only. If SMRPG gets that remake for its anniversary, and they do it with that, I’m gonna be p*****.
I wouldn't worry about that at all. I doubt Nintendo is gonna pull something like that for an actual game or remake, because what would be the point in putting in a lot of effort for a new game or remake if you're just going to release it for a limited time? That would sound like a huge waste of time to me.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
When that one kid went all "OMG YOU DON'T KNOW WHO MARTH IS?!" that other kid should've been like "You didn't know who he was either until Melee, *****. Now shut the **** up and start the next match already.". Seriously, what kid, especially at the turn of the millenium playing Melee for the first time, says **** like that?

Either way, it's great that we're finally getting it localized after all these years.

At first I thought they were going to remaster the DS remake when I saw this, but this is still nice too. Not sure why it didn’t release on the NSO app, but I suppose that’s to “justify” for them localizing it.
But man, Nintendo actually listening to their fans and localizing an old game? If only there was a game that is already localized and is constantly requested on NSO.
Hell even better, a game that’s over a decade yet would be easy to localize AND would earn them a lot of money and fan support.
I think this, just like with Earthbound Beginnings and Starfox 2, was just something they've had in their backroom since the early 90s rather than something they've been fastidiously working on as of late, and they just decided apropos of nothing to finally get it out there.

The FE localization will be available for a limited time, and not just the anniversary edition apparently:

Nintendo has dumb.
Well, at least it's something we can rip and distribute online for free unlike Super Mario 35. Also, perhaps this means they'll release it for NSO after they stop selling it? Scummy as all hell, but I could totally see them doing it that way.

You know what would be really cool? Instead of Geno's costumes referencing characters from Mario RPG, they could be his armor from his game! This would be a big missed opportunity if these weren't his costumes ngl.
While the Sailor and Star capes would be cool, I think I'd much rather we get actual recolors based on the characters and enemies from the game. Example:
GenoColors.png

View attachment 289946
This is the same Nintendo that re-released Four Swords for a collective 4 DAYS on the 3DS e-Shop.

View attachment 289948
Also, just noticed something, the """"PHYSICAL""""" version? NOT ACTUALLY PHYSICAL, JUST A DOWNLOAD CODE, MEANING THE ONLY WAY TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME IS DIGITALLY, AND ITS LIMITED.

View attachment 289949
THIS IS GREAT PRESERVATION RIGHT GUYS?
Well, thank god for emulation, then.

Oh and also, they didn't include any goodies with Mario 3D All-Stars, but they did with Fire Emblem and Kirby??? Not even like stickers or a poster? That's BS.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1319279583036755969?s=20 Oh and on the topic of collectors editions, imagine if there was a collectors edition for the Mario RPG remake where it has a high-quality statue of Bowser's Keep with Exor on top or Mario's appearance in that game, or a map that highlights all of the locations in that game? I'd buy that in a heartbeat!
Oh god, imagine if you could remove Smithy the Sword from Bowser's Keep and use him as a real knife to cut veggies and ****. That would actually be kind of cool.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Do you mean for Ultimate? Cause yeah, we're definitely not getting another character from them till the next Smash.
Sorry, but after they kept pushing that series down everyone's throats actively advertising FE after 4 and Ultimate, even repeating Corrin's significantly disliked reveal almost to the letter with Byleth, I don't trust in Nintendo to not pull that stunt again with Pass 2. I like Fire Emblem.. I'm just tired of them pushing it so much, particularly in Smash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wouldn't worry about that at all. I doubt Nintendo is gonna pull something like that for an actual game or remake, because what would be the point in putting in a lot of effort for a new game or remake if you're just going to release it for a limited time? That would sound like a huge waste of time to me.
Which is why I think they're doing this so that the newer games don't compete and people come off ravenous for more once they've played the old games or didn't get around to it.

"So you've already beaten Mario 3D All Stars, eh? Well, guess what, chuckle ****? BOOM! Here's a brand new 3D Mario; Mario Rides the Magic School Bus!"

Or

"Oh, you didn't get the chance to play Mario 3D All Stars, eh? Well, guess what, chuckle ****? BOOM! Here's a brand new 3D Mario; Mario Gets Lost in the Mall of America!"

Basically the same outcome to "I want 3D Mario" and "I want MOAR 3D Mario" but eliminating the cheaper choice. I get it but it's kind of sketchy as hell, just like the Disney Vault approach.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The latest Kinda Funny Gamescast talk about their thoughts if in this year's TGAs (on December 10th) there might be another Smash reveal.
Shared it starting on the part where they begin to talk about Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom