• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
I'm taking my contact's claims that MCC and Rare Replay are likely to finally happen this year more seriously now, especially now that Cuphead has happened and Master Chief has been heard as of December. It lines up with a lot and Nintendo adding Microsoft's signature mascot down the line wouldn't surprise me now.
It does line up, but I personally would still prefer Doomguy over Master Chief down the line, though the latter is still a cool rep to me.

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
Hey all. Just thought of something that I dont know has been talked about. Since we got ubisoft costumes with no ubi fighters, doesnt this mean that if the cacomallow leak is real, theres a good chance that we may not get a bethesda rep? Dont want to be down on a characters chances at all. Just a thought.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I'm taking my contact's claims that MCC and Rare Replay are likely to finally happen this year more seriously now, especially now that Cuphead has happened and Master Chief has been heard as of December. It lines up with a lot and Nintendo adding Microsoft's signature mascot down the line wouldn't surprise me now.
This makes sense. Halo is a launch title for the new xbox this year, so I wouldnt be surprised if Master Chief is the last character we get for this year. A promotional pick, and one of the biggest icons left.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It says 1/15, a day before his reveal
He’s talking if it’s not one of those illusions

Edited to make it look like it was posted on the 15th

Oh but the way there’s some people forgot about that might help this one

There’s actually one source that claimed Ryu was coming way before this during the fp1 era and still possitive

Iamshifty and brew both of their sources is the same one that got piranaha plant and Marx as a boss and that was around April 1st (don’t say it because of the date) wouldn’t this fit with planed for fo1 but weren’t aware they switched to number 2

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
>Two contacts tell me earlier this week that Dante very recently began development (as in a week or two ago)

>Sakurai has said characters on average take 10 months to a year to fully develop

>6 characters left suggests that Dante's our first half of 2021 announcement

>MFW they really are going to drag this **** out for another two years, aren't they?

giphy.gif

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
>Two contacts tell me earlier this week that Dante very recently began development (as in a week or two ago)

>Sakurai has said characters on average take 10 months to a year to fully develop

>MFW they really are going to drag this **** out for another two years, aren't they?

View attachment 258110
This is definitely a rather heavy rumor to put out in the blue yonder just like that. Is this more like a leak or something?

Last edited:

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
Is there any validity to the Hayabusa/Byleth swap rumor?

Also until December 2021? Does that mean any rumor that mentions a "third pass" is likely fake? I doubt anyone knows who all the fighters are for FP2, let alone the existence of a FP3.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Master Chief is cool, still personally hoping for Steve.

I hope we at least get Minecraft stuff, and if Master Chief gets in, I hope Steve fans don't get barraged by a bunch of narcissistic trolls.

Still, no Geno costume, so I'm feeling more confident about him at least.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
So just to be in the clear. You're confident in Geno, Lloyd and Purple Guy from FNAF and the names up in the air for the other three are crash, a bethesda rep, master chief, ryu, dante and sora? And you don't think we're gonna have a season three, or at least there's no evidence for it?

D

Deleted member

When you've been speculating on Smash for as long as I have, or (God have mercy on your soul if this is the case) longer, you're well acquainted with disappointment. Your theories will be wrong, your favorites will end up in assist trophies or as Mii Costumes and you just learn to expect disappointment.

Nintendo, however, is a company dedicated to outperforming the expectations of their fans every time. My disappointment is not a number and my day has encountered an error and needs to close.

For Wynn, wherever he is, because I'm sure he's wishing he could gloat about the times he was right, I want you to know, my good friend, that you are dead wrong. Nintendo does listen. They hang on our every word, every theory we craft, and they use it as a thick, meaty log to fuel the flames of disappointment. I have never watched so many theories die at one time and there's an element of comedy to that which I can't deny.

I'm not gonna dwell on the bad. I feel horrible for Rex fans who were outright lied to and sorry for all the Altair and Cuphead fans who watched their dreams die. Our boy lived as predicted and the memes are pretty good, so Fatman was right on that one. Speaking of which, here's a home grown meme from me to the rest of the Smash community.
smashboardsver.png

Spoilered for being a big boy.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
Is there any validity to the Hayabusa/Byleth swap rumor?

Also until December 2021? Does that mean any rumor that mentions a "third pass" is likely fake? I doubt anyone knows who all the fighters are for FP2, let alone the existence of a FP3.
The fact that is was posted a day before the direct certainly backs this up a fair bit, but I still don't know how much this is actually true.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is definitely a rather heavy rumor to put out in the blue yonder just like that.
I actually brought this up publicly almost a week ago.

Dante's probably coming but I can't imagine soon. Supposedly a voice actor related to Devil May Cry accidentally oopsie doodled Smash and Marvel vs Capcom 4 in a recent interview:

http://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/491996534

(4chan so, uh, language warning)

This honestly makes sense but, from what I've heard, voice work for games is usually done early in development so that the developers can try to match up animations at least to some degree. Animated movies do this too and, Disney for example, has done things this way since like the 1940's. It's usually one of the first things knocked out in any major animation project which is why, for example, things like the Chris Farley version of Shrek exists. What does this mean? This means that, if true, Dante went into development very, very recently which honestly lines up with two of my contacts. Sakurai himself has noted that characters tend to take 10 months to a year to develop which, if this all true, Dante is probably slated for November/December 2020 at the earliest.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Despite the black eye today, I'm still super confident on Geno, Lloyd, and Dante in 2020. Wrestling with Crash and Dragonborn because both would work for E3 but today's events imply that Crash would be "Season 3." Currently taking one of my contact's words for it that Ryu was ultimately dropped but I think I have plenty of time to analyze that nugget.
Oh yeah, looks like our future is looking bright everyone
PicsArt_01-16-04.35.48-1.jpg

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
I love to see Smash reveal Reactions, but this just made me sad
Geno is cool
Oooouch. That's a pretty quiet reveal reaction. The loudest it got was claps in response to the "too many swordsmen" meme. Well, I'm happy with Byleth, and I'm excited for the future.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

View attachment 258110
Have Geno as the first half of the pass, then they can take their sweet ass time on the rest of them.

It's a shame echoes appear to be out. They finally, after 4 games, won people over with the clones, and then they dropped it completely. So many options that could have easily pleased fanbases.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Have Geno as the first half of the pass, then they can take their sweet ass time on the rest of them.

It's a shame echoes appear to be out. They finally, after 4 games, won people over with the clones, and then they dropped it completely. So many options that could have easily pleased fanbases.
Absolutely, I'm not sure how long it'd take to develop an echo, but considering it's mostly a model swap with a few new taunts and maybe a few new moves, they don't seem too completely complicated. The concept of echo fighters is really cool, and I'd totally pay for an echo pass. :b:

D

Deleted member

Checks Join date

I've been through a hell which you cannot fathom
Sorry, my join date and the actual years on me are totally different. I lost the password+email address to my old account here, but it's from 2006 at the very latest. No need to get into a pissing contest over that, though, our hells are the same.

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
The fact that is was posted a day before the direct certainly backs this up a fair bit, but I still don't know how much this is actually true.
Oh thanks I didn't know it was posted before the direct. Is the post time stamped?

Its nice to know it hasnt been debunked yet. It mentions a third pass which I think we all want.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I have been given full permission by Fatman in private to share this piece of info publicly.

Awhile back, I was told in private a list of characters that were hard deconfirmed for Ultimate. From the words of it, a list of characters that were “pitched to Sakurai, but shot down immediately.”

And low and behold, Cuphead was on that list. That perfectly explains the Mii Costume revealed today.

I know I was critical of Fatman today, but he was right on the money with that one. Definitely a point for his credibility, coming from someone who has disagreed with him a ton.

That is all I will say, I was told to keep the rest of the names private.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I have been given full permission by Fatman in private to share this piece of info publicly.

Awhile back, I was told in private a list of characters that were hard deconfirmed for Ultimate. From the words of it, a list of characters that were “pitched to Sakurai, but shot down immediately.”

And low and behold, Cuphead was on that list. That perfectly explains the Mii Costume revealed today.

I know I was critical of Fatman today, but he was right on the money with that one. Definitely a point for his credibility, coming from someone who has disagreed with him a ton.

That is all I will say, I was told to keep the rest of the names private.
Now I'm worried about whether a certain blocky boi is on the list.

Please DM if so; spare me the pain.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Finally, Fire Emblem Fans Have a Character They Can Call Their Own

I'm not going to say I wasn't expecting to be disappointed, because there were an awful lot of characters it could've been that would've upset me. But Sakurai found away to lower the bar again and bring us an eighth character from what is apparently his favorite series. Now a whole ten percent of the roster is devoted to anime pretty boys (and one girl if you don't count the alt costumes). With Three Houses being favored pretty heavily, I guess it was inevitable that Sakurai wouldn'tve learned his lesson from the last batch of DLC for Smash 4. We all knew he had a bias, but it really salts the wound when Xenoblade fans got an apology and a Mii costume for a character released before Smash Ultimate, but a full fledged character from an already bloated series released months after. Screw Arms, screw Astral Chain, I guess. They're not the money makers here, I suppose.

The line about sword users was cute, but a cliche doesn't become any less of a cliche when it's acknowledged. At least this FE rep has a variety of weapons they can use instead of just a sword, but it's not enough. When the trailer first played, I thought, "Oh, that's their gimmick--they have a variety of weapons and will swap movesets when they swap them--kinda like Pokémon Trainer." Nope. Just a variety of weapons kinda like Link. Or Link. Or Link.

It's pretty telling when the most exciting element of a fighter showcase is the Mii costumes, but I digress.

The announcement of Season 2 was expected, but it would've been nice to know what to expect sooner rather than later. I know he begged us not to purchase FP1 if we weren't confident in his selection, but I thought he'd at least give us some more confidence by revealing at least one of the six new fighters. He could prove me wrong, though, since the pass isn't available for purchase until later this month. But I can't see them showcasing another Direct in January--especially not at the end of the month. With an expiration date of December 2021, that gives us only three reveals a year. Even FP1 was able to pull off all 5 reveals in 13 months, and that was before they knew how long it would take them to do it.

Speaking of Season 2--the Mii costume bonus was kind of lackluster, isn't it? I mean, the Rex costume was cool, he was detailed, he was an actual character! This one is just armor. Well designed, yes, but underwhelming overall. It could've been worse, though--at least it's not a upgraded Geno costume.

Since this is the Geno thread, I guess I should talk about Geno proper. I'm still 100 percent confident that he's coming. Preferably sooner rather than later, but I think everyone here is expecting that. Honestly, even if FP2 wasn't greenlit, I always expected Geno to be a bonus "One more thing!" kind of character, outside of the Fighter's Pass. But now that we've got a whole new one with six fighters, he's been pushed into that territory.

I do believe that he'll be revealed at E3, similarly to Banjo-Kazooie last year. It'll be a solid double-reveal, with Doom Slayer coming before him, but that would kind of ruin his chances at being DLC 7 either way you count the DLC, because I'm expecting at least one reveal between now and then.

As far as hypotheticals go--this would be my theory for FP2:

6 - Lloyd Irving - Anime sword fighter favorite. It's too weird that Namco, the guys working on the game, only have one fighter in this roster. It's maddening! Mar 2020

7 - Doom Slayer - Purely because of the CacoMallow leak. I feel like they'd be revealed at the same time. E3 2020

8 - Geno - Fan favorite, one of the last of the more requested characters. E3 2020 While I want Geno to be revealed first so he can be 7, I think they'll go in another direction. My dream scenario is a trailer where he and Doom Slayer are revealed together, but in a trailer sequel to Ridley's. Like, he helps Samus take down Ridley while Mario, on the other side of the room and nearly unconscious, gets a Mushroom healing item from Geno--just a quick teaser that shows us he's in.

9 - Waluigi - The first reveal of 2021 and the only Assist Trophy promotion. I don't honestly think any ATs are getting promoted, but everyone else seems to be confident. Nothing will happen to his Assist Trophy despite the promotion, ala Robin's FS. Feb/Mar 2021

10 - Either Master Chief or Sora - Either one HUGE gets, but I can't imagine Nintendo being willing to shell out for both. Either one would win E3 for Nintendo. E3 2021

11 - Elma - End with a wimper. Great character who should've been in the base game. Holiday 2021

All speculatory, of course. I bet none of this happens whatsoever.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey all. Just thought of something that I dont know has been talked about. Since we got ubisoft costumes with no ubi fighters, doesnt this mean that if the cacomallow leak is real, theres a good chance that we may not get a bethesda rep? Dont want to be down on a characters chances at all. Just a thought.
I... I... I hate the distinct possibility that this could be and probably is the situation... Oh my God...

32ce8d231cd314799762a1d8eee491bf.gif

Just because we've never gotten a Mii costume from a major company without a playable character until today (Ubisoft), doesn't mean it was never going to happen... Paraleak 2: Electric Boogaloo... If Bethesda is in a future Mii costume pack as Cacodemon and Doom Guy/Dragonborn, I'm just going to throw myself off a building... Holy ****... I'm going to go lay down...

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
We should prolly keep tabs on that Rumor about the swap and Fighter's Pass 3. I can see Nintendo doing that, they really like that number. But like I said I think there would be only 4 in that one.

EDIT: I got an idea. If the next character is Ninja Gaiden and has an orange background, it was definitely swapped.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I actually brought this up publicly almost a week ago.
Something definitely got switched around for the second pass. Had the pass been set in stone from the get go, we would have at least got LLoyd's costume back.
The Geno and chocobo costume I can understand not even coming back, but for them to not include Lloyds costume in the first round must mean something in the line up changed.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I... I... I hate the distinct possibility that this could be and probably is the situation... Oh my God...

View attachment 258116

Just because we've never gotten a Mii costume from a major company without a playable character until today (Ubisoft), doesn't mean it was never going to happen... Paraleak 2: Electric Boogaloo... If Bethesda is in a future Mii costume pack as Cacodemon and Doom Guy/Dragonborn, I'm just going to throw myself off a building... Holy ****... I'm going to go lay down...
That would suck. But wasn’t Ubisoft already represent with Spirits though? Although that doesn’t explain Altair...

Firox

Smash Master
The announcement of Season 2 was expected, but it would've been nice to know what to expect sooner rather than later. I know he begged us not to purchase FP1 if we weren't confident in his selection, but I thought he'd at least give us some more confidence by revealing at least one of the six new fighters. He could prove me wrong, though, since the pass isn't available for purchase until later this month. But I can't see them showcasing another Direct in January--especially not at the end of the month. With an expiration date of December 2021, that gives us only three reveals a year. Even FP1 was able to pull off all 5 reveals in 13 months, and that was before they knew how long it would take them to do it.
I totally agree. Who in their right mind would try to sell a DLC pack without at least dropping the first character to inspire confidence or build hype, especially since we have a lot of reason to believe that fighter number 6 is pretty far along? Couple this with the absurdly long release window, and it's just downright stupid. I don't get Nintendo's marketing strategy at all.

Bremy

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 258116

There's always been the possibility that the SMRPG costumes would come with a bethesda rep, with the geno mii costume already being a thing. But since bigger companies can only just have mii costumes, the Bethesda ones could come with geno instead. Or both are just mii costumes lol.

Edit: that could be why they were shown together. They were being tested at the same time, because bethesda and SMRPG mii costumes are coming with geno

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
i'm not understanding why the **** it will take them TWO years to make 6 characters when it took them barely over ONE to make 5. Also they're ahead of schedule if i'm not mistaking.

Bob-Omber

Smash Cadet
In the corner drinking a frosty with a straw

View attachment 258116

Whats the chance Sakurai puts doom guy in as just a costume even with all the fan demand? I know sans was just a mii costume but hes also an indie character which smash seems to not want to put in right now for some reason.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I totally agree. Who in their right mind would try to sell a DLC pack without at least dropping the first character to inspire confidence or build hype, especially since we have a lot of reason to believe that fighter number 6 is pretty far along? Couple this with the absurdly long release window, and it's just downright stupid. I don't get Nintendo's marketing strategy at all.
They sold the Fighter's Pass for a month before Joker was ever revealed. It's not unexpected in the least bit that they're doing this again and it clearly works well enough considering how well the Fighter's Pass sold.

We also don't have nearly as much to believe 6 is far along. People just assumed that 6 was naturally in development since September when there's nothing confirming this and Sakurai going out of his way to indicate it may be a while before we hear about the next fighter actually directly contradicts that.

Similarly, the marketing strategy is probably just a more slow paced reveal with a far out "deadline" that gives them plenty of room to maneuver through the next two years of DLC production. Plus, again, there's a possibility the team is downsizing and they're not working at the same pace they did with the Fighter's Pass.

Firox

Smash Master
They sold the Fighter's Pass for a month before Joker was ever revealed. It's not unexpected in the least bit that they're doing this again and it clearly works well enough considering how well the Fighter's Pass sold.

We also don't have nearly as much to believe 6 is far along. People just assumed that 6 was naturally in development since September when there's nothing confirming this and Sakurai going out of his way to indicate it may be a while before we hear about the next fighter actually directly contradicts that.

Similarly, the marketing strategy is probably just a more slow paced reveal with a far out "deadline" that gives them plenty of room to maneuver through the next two years of DLC production. Plus, again, there's a possibility the team is downsizing and they're not working at the same pace they did with the Fighter's Pass.
Valid points, but to be fair, the fact that they withheld Joker was precisely why I didn't buy the entire mystery box up front. In principle, it's typically unwise to buy something when you don't know what's in it or what it does. I'm hoping that the two year deadline is just a generous margin for completion and not the actual time frame.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 258116

So, it's really obvious that they did this because despite all the odds, the final character was a Nintendo character and there were no plans to have new Nintendo costumes added. I think having Bethesda costumes despite having no full character would mean we're getting another first party character, if Mallowdemon is real, which just given the amount of time that's passed, and
this post
I'm starting to doubt the legitimacy of the Mallowdemon leak entirely.

Of course, naturally, this does really turn costume speculation on its head. If any of this mii business has been real at all, it's turned into a curse.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
i'm not understanding why the **** it will take them TWO years to make 6 characters when it took them barely over ONE to make 5. Also they're ahead of schedule if i'm not mistaking.
I don't think it'll actually take that long, I just think they were being overly cautious, y'know? Giving themselves some wiggle room. After all, all of the Fighter Pass characters were to be released by February 2020, and Byleth is dropping right before then, so it's not a per se strict deadline by any means. I think it's reasonable to assume we could get all of Volume 2's fighters by E3 2021 or September 2021.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
As far as season 2 goes, I believe we will actually get a peak of who will start things off in the next 2 months. Most likely in a Nintendo Direct.

Based on this boards reaction as well as many youtube videos, Blyleth was a poor choice to end things on. Its not that Blyleth will be a bad character, but most people are going to chalk it up as another fire emblem character. Marketing wise it was poor choice, especially right before introducing a pass that will take 2 years to complete.

Ending on a fire emblem character probably killed the confidence of a lot of fans had in "Sakurai' Choices" . If Nintendo is smart, they'll introduce something to at least get people hyped up.

Also as far as why it will take 2 years vs 1 could just be a budget thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom