• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I personally subscribe to the ideology that we should expect only one character to be revealed. If we get more than one, awesome! But we've all been too burned out over expecting more than what we thought. Need I remind the massacre that was November 1st, 2018? :p
To be completely fair, it would be partially their fault too if they didn't learn from the first time they showed off a bunch of extremely disappointing deconfirmations the final chance they got. Like, the November Direct was rather poorly received (at least compared to all the other presentations) so I think they may wanna stray away from doing it again.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Just had a momentary spark: What if Sakurai talking about the "fun over recognizability" was for the Japanese audience, bracing them for Doomslayer ? Though this applies to Dovakhiin, and also Arle (to the West). I just thought I'd share that.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I really think it's gonna be Doomguy and Waluigi and that's insane to me. I bet we will see the cacodemon costume without mallow and it will be our big moment.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well, congratulations to...

@Glitch-EGamer
@Malo Mart
MisterMike MisterMike
@ActualGarbage

surpise! You ALL win the "ok boomer" pass for all being the only ones to participate in my meaningless profile picture "race" you all probably forgot about...

Anyways, as a young zoomer, I now bestow upon you older folk the power to say "ok boomer;" whether it be to defend yourself, or shrug off someone, you must use it wisely. As I told @OffBi, with this power comes great responsibility.

(:ultpacman:)

P.S.: Double congratulations to Malo Mart, your submission is my new profile picture!
Thank you. I will treasure it always.

So I have a question for you guys, what do you think is the chance we will actually see more than one character revealed tomorrow?

I'm feeling super 50/50 on it myself. On one hand, there is clearly going to be another Nintendo Direct relatively soon, likely February, and they can easily save whoever character 6 is to be revealed there. On the other hand, I feel like it would be very weird for Sakurai not to discuss how future DLC is going to work here, since we've known its happenning since September yet have no concrete details otherwise. And given how Sakurai seemed hesitant to show off the Fighter's Pass without showing what was in it, which I think he only did because they had literally no work on any of the characters done at that point, if he's going to talk about how future DLC is going to work here then it's likely he will say who the first character will be, especially since it's extremely likely they have alot of work done on them already.
I think the chance of a double reveal is around... 65-70%. While my better judgement would dictate that it's much lower, I can't help but think back to the Terry Presentation, where Sakurai went out of his way to specifically mention that no other reveals were happening during it. I think he only did it that time because he just knew we'd come in expecting a reveal for FP5, which is something we wouldn't have thought in all other instances:

With Joker's reveal, we were caught almost completely off guard with his release, so we had no expectations going into it. Also, we knew E3 was coming up, which is typically when we get reveals for stuff like that anyways.
With Hero, we already knew that Banjo was coming in the fall, so we didn't expect any more fighter reveals.
With Banjo, Terry was just revealed to be coming this winter, so we didn't expect any more fighter reveals.

I dunno, maybe I'm just getting my hopes up a bit too high, but I think that we may actually be getting a double reveal. Not a triple reveal, though. That's never gonna happen at something like this. Though I could see them maybe revealing another character during the next Direct coming in November. :ultpacman:

I feel, if he talks about future DLC, he is going to show off something. Not sure what, but he likes to do stuff like that. And he did show off how Terry was coming along, so more can be talked about.

I am also wondering if this mystery character is going to be released not too long afterward, considering that has been the case for every Sakurai presentation before this one.
I think the most we'll get in terms of another fighter post FP5 is a reveal and that's it. A double release would be sick, though.

Just had a momentary spark: What if Sakurai talking about the "fun over recognizability" was for the Japanese audience, bracing them for Doomslayer ? Though this applies to Dovakhiin, and also Arle (to the West). I just thought I'd share that.
I thought that as well, since it's typically we in the west who have to brace for relatively obscure character reveals. Though that doesn't really make much sense given that message was in english.

So the artifice theory with the green on the right

is it just because of the image compresed? Because this one said something about it
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/post-23784157
I don't think this reasoning stands, since
1 - The brown is still there, which can't be waved away as an artifact.
2 - The image is crisp AF, which allows us to tell the difference between basic artifacting and the image's being cut out.
and 3 - We've found this same kind of cropping in the last two Sakurai thumbnails, so it can't really be handwaved away.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
So the artifice theory with the green on the right

is it just because of the image compresed? Because this one said something about it
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/post-23784157
Possibly, but with the infamous green pixel on the banner that specifically was caused by the compression from uploading the screenshot to 4chan, as I understand it. In this situation, multiple people have taken the thumbnail and found green, and have also taken past thumbnails and found color artifacts from the frames the images are taken from in the videos. So while completely ****ing bonkers crazy, artifact theory does have a leg to stand on.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Imagine artifice theory ends up being completely right but it doesn't end up being Doomguy or Master Chief and it's just "Yoshi But We Made Him a Bit Darker This Time"

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
in a good way?
To the crazy part or the standing part? For the leg part, in a good way. I think the information found through artifact theory has a good chance of being meaningful. For the crazy part? Hell yeah it’s awesome, I love when Smash fans come up with crazy bull**** like this, especially when it might actually be right.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
Possibly, but with the infamous green pixel on the banner that specifically was caused by the compression from uploading the screenshot to 4chan, as I understand it. In this situation, multiple people have taken the thumbnail and found green, and have also taken past thumbnails and found color artifacts from the frames the images are taken from in the videos. So while completely ****ing bonkers crazy, artifact theory does have a leg to stand on.
I looked at the image from Sakurais post and it still shows the green on his hair, could still be compression though

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I looked at the image from Sakurais post and it still shows the green on his hair, could still be compression though
Hey I mean that’s possible. I don’t really know a lot about image compression myself so I’ll defer to the experts

D

Deleted member

Looking at the image you can definitely see green on the right side of his head. But, I’m no expert so I’ll leave it to the professionals.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Less than 24 hours before the direct and the character still hasn't definitively leaked like Hero, Banjo, and Terry . I don't know how anyone could say at this point that Nintendo didn't buckle down with security and put forth a disinformation campaign that effectively wiped out the credibility of the biggest Smash leakers around and scared the rest into hiding. They really want this **** to be a surprise.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Looking at the image you can definitely see green on the right side of his head. But, I’m no expert so I’ll leave it to the professionals.
Watch the colors be 100% real but it’s just a large potted plant behind Sakurai and not from a poster.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
So I have a question for you guys, what do you think is the chance we will actually see more than one character revealed tomorrow?
I think it's pretty likely, though not guaranteed. I'd give it a 2/3 chance at a multiple reveal, 1/3 chance that it's just the one.
Might as well throw in my wants/predictions/fears as well since I haven't done that for this presentation yet.

Wants: Geno (obviously), Doomguy, Sora, some wild card crazy pick like Monokuma or Quote/Curly, Ragna the Bloodedge

Predictions: Doomguy/Dovahkiin, Arle, Mister Wah Wah, Phoenix Wright

Master Chief, Fazbear, Sol Badguy, the F word (Fortnite), or anyone else Square Enix

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

I'm feeling super 50/50 on it myself. On one hand, there is clearly going to be another Nintendo Direct relatively soon, likely February, and they can easily save whoever character 6 is to be revealed there. On the other hand, I feel like it would be very weird for Sakurai not to discuss how future DLC is going to work here, since we've known its happenning since September yet have no concrete details otherwise. And given how Sakurai seemed hesitant to show off the Fighter's Pass without showing what was in it, which I think he only did because they had literally no work on any of the characters done at that point, if he's going to talk about how future DLC is going to work here then it's likely he will say who the first character will be, especially since it's extremely likely they have alot of work done on them already.
I agree on it being around 50/50, more or less depending on whether or not Sakurai decides to discuss future DLC. The presentation could just reveal Fighter 5 and that's it... but I wouldn't be surprised if, near the end of the presentation after talking future DLC, Sakurai suddenly goes "We have one more thing before we finish," and hits us with a reveal trailer for Fighter 6 right at the very end.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
While it could apply to Future characters, I Believe it was meant, first and foremost, for the Smash fans who didn’t know who Terry Bogard was or what SNK is. I think more than any other character, Terry was the one who had the least intersection with the core Smash audience.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
It’s also on the left too
View attachment 257844
Man isn’t it crazy that even in the year 2020 with our jillion pixel cameras we still can’t perfectly subdivide reality into pixels? Like even with our most powerful cameras, the real world is still at a higher resolution than any image and so you can end up with stuff bleeding together like this.

Maybe I’m overthinking this but I just think that’s really cool.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
This could also mean Shantae, since outside of the Smash community and the still sort-of growing Shantae community, she's still fairly unknown.

D

Deleted member

Watch the colors be 100% real but it’s just a large potted plant behind Sakurai and not from a poster.
Sakurai’s like “I decided to spice up the recording room a little bit. Hope it didn’t mess up anyone’s predictions for Doomguy or anything.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
One thing I’ll say about the artifact theory is that the green on the right side of the head looks like it’s from compression to me because it keeps a round shape, but you look at the left side the green looks like it sticks out and thus messes with the round shape of the hair, that is why I think that was not compression but the background. Also I think the fighter image would be on the left of Sakurai anyway.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
well I'll be going to bed now. I'll be up at 8:30 to prepare for the direct. We are officially in the endgame for the fighters pass. Hopefully I don't wake up earlier than that. Good luck and hope that CacoMallow is real and us Genobros and Doombros can celebrate.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Oh god. IT’S ALREADY THERE.
View attachment 257849
Actually I can totally see this

The presentation opens with the camera facing that right wall instead of the poster, Sakurai says hello and welcome, we go into the trailer, and then he anime poses like a dork (as in the thumbnail) as the camera swings to show the poster

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Haven't posted in a bit in here, but good luck tomorrow everyone. Geno feels like he's close, whether it be tomorrow or later.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Here's what I think will be shown tomorrow...

- Fighter #5
- Mii Costumes (maybe a premium one with a music track)
- Structure of post-pass DLC, but no #6 reveal

...also, as an aside, I usually don't post my wishes and desires (since I'm here for you guys and I'm content with the roster, as I've said), but I'd love if Travis Touchdown got in. He seems pretty likely for DLC at some point, but just because you're likely doesn't mean you'll get in. Anyways, I'm not expecting Geno tomorrow, maybe next time!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom