• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
While this post was appreciated for trying to ultimately help the user, it was warned for being overly aggressive and inflammatory in nature.
Let me start by saying for what feels like the third time now, sorry that in the Geno thread I loudly and adamantly support Geno while turning a blind eye to literally every other character. I do not have to acknowledge them as somehow more deserving than Geno, that's not being entitled, that's having loyalty and expectations. Is it selfish? Sure, but I'm not going to unrealistically sit around and act like every character in any video game ever has or even deserves a chance to be a playable character in Super Smash Bros, the most prestigious crossover video game ever made. Can the same argument be made against Geno? Certainly, and I hope people do, in threads that aren't dedicated to him.

Yes, every game starts with a project plan/design document if you're taking your endeavor seriously, and a company like Nintendo wouldn't allow a game to even start planning without one, and likely wouldn't even take the suggestion from a director without one. Honestly, to bring it up like that simply strengthens my argument.

Sakurai or someone under him drafts the project plan, looking something like this "It's Smash Bros but we're bringing everyone back this time, also let's aim to make these new modes and these new characters... And because it's such an undertaking to port models and make textures with better resolutions and not update the moveset of a good 3/4 of the roster at all, meaning we don't have to make much in the way of new animations, let's cut trophies and replace them with PNGs, that way we can fit boatloads of nods and references to virtually every game that's ever been on a Nintendo console without having to work at all." Perfect.

So while they were at this simplified project plan, somewhere towards the beginning Sakurai went over the ballot and picked out popular characters, that I won't deny. But nowhere in these scant newcomers did he find the need to put Geno in? Honestly, really think about it, it means one of two things:

1. He doesn't give a rat's ass about Geno. If Geno was in the top ranking Smash Ballot picks left over after veterans are removed from the mix and anime characters get put in the trash, Sakurai looked right over him and went for a competitor's character to put into the DLC plan. To top it off he willingly had someone negotiate the rights for the character to use a scan of the original model as an unimportant bonus mode halfass Trophy. Chances are higher than not that they paid money for that PNG. If that's not a kick in the nads I can't tell you one.

2. We're ****ing delusional to think that Geno is popular at all or even placed on the ballot as anything more than a blip on the radar.

The second doesn't really make sense if we take historical data into account along with fan polls that were probably run better than the actual Smash ballot. Geno did and still does top polls run for Smash inclusion. It's outright nonsense to think he didn't place on the Smash ballot itself.

I hate to echo Wynn or bring up hatred for Piranha Plant but really, if the project plan starts with looking over the ballot and picking out the top 10 (and that assumes that echo fighters should be considered full character inclusions), but then drawing an arbitrary line to put a random Mario enemy in sort of carries an implication that Sakurai really hated whoever 11 on that list is, and again that assumes that the top 10 names were everyone we got, including echo fighters (which as much as I like him, I'm fairly certain Richter Belmont was not there.) Considering we only got 5 truly new fighters, that stands to reason that the top 5 ballot winners, again, after veterans and Goku, didn't include Geno despite most fan polls putting him at 3 or 4. Am I really supposed to believe that? Something doesn't add up. And to be a little more open and inclusive to the struggles of other characters, you know who I do think beat Geno out for a top 5 spot, if they both weren't top 5? Waluigi. If Sakurai will add an outright clone of Villager and still pass them off as a brand new character and still cuck Waluigi with the snowglobe of death, it's pretty obvious that, if no one else, he at least despises Waluigi.

So no, I don't think it's a lazy argument to say that Sakurai hates any given character. A lot of research goes into making such a bold claim. Even if it was lazy, it isn't some catch all that I'm trying to use to keep myself from being attached to the idea of my character making it into Smash or to lessen the pain. The pain's already at max, bud, I've been waiting for Geno to make it into my favorite multiplayer game for half my life. How can I be any more upset/hurt/angry if he doesn't make it this time? To hell with it, I'll finally be able to move on with my life
Serenade, let me preface this with the statement that I love ya. You are a cool dude, and we like a lot of the same stuff and agree with ya a lot of the time and you can even be funny sometimes. Cool? Cool.

You are acting like an entitled, pissy little child with this...again, since this has happened before, and I'm not going to be easy about it this time.

Dunno if you noticed this, but most of us in here want Geno. You'll also notice that most of us here don't throw written tantrums on how 'Sakurai hates Geno, what an asshole of a developer for not putting in the character I want.' Why is that?

Because we are being realistic while you are living in lala land.

You remember your post a few pages back in which you were pissy and devastated at the idea that Fighter #5 is likely not Geno and, thus, there were plans before the second round of DLC for Smash Ultimate to end support with Geno in as playable? Remember how I called you out then as well, as well as several others, on how that's not only a ridiculous stance to have but that also it doesn't matter because Ultimate is getting more DLC and Geno is likely among that DLC? You pulled the same **** then to, trying to cover your whining by saying "Sorry for me supporting Geno in the Geno thread" and it didn't work then and it won't work now.

You aren't supporting Geno: you are being childish and making other Geno fans look bad because you didn't get your way. So, to quote a famous rapper:

"Back to reality, oops there goes gravity."

Dunno if you knew this or not, but Geno is a DEAD CHARACTER FROM A DEAD FRANCHISE WHO'S SPIRITUAL SUCCESSORS ARE EITHER DEAD OR SOULLESS HUSKS OF THEIR FORMER SELVES AND HASN'T BEEN RELEVANT SINCE 1996 AND WAS BARELY RELEVANT THEN FOR A FEW MONTHS.

I've said it time and again that the ONLY reason he has any chance to be in Smash is due to fan support. Because we are all a bunch of loving nerds who think he should be revived and we've been campaigning for this since pre-2007, this unknown and dead character has a chance to be in the most prestigious crossover fighting game in the world. Remember that 'Smash Bubble' term that our resident fringe debating mastermind came up with? Geno is only popular in that bubble and has barely and recognition or appeal outside of it, and the more time passes the less he has.

Meanwhile, YOU are acting like grabbing the FACE of Square Enix and Final Fantasy and multiple main protagonists from the franchise that DEFINED RPGS AS WE KNOW THEM AS A GENRE that is so big in Sakurai's country that they have a holiday for it and games have to release on the weekend or else people will walk out of work and school to grab that **** is some sort of unjust travesty because Sakurai didn't get a dead character from a dead franchise that is on very uncertain terms due to when it was made and what happened shortly after between two companies.

Do you not see how delusional you are? If you could get characters from Star Wars, why would you skip on Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker to get Boba Fett or Jar Jar Binks? If you were getting characters from DBZ, why would you skip on Goku or Vegeta to pick Korin, Dende, Mr. Popo or Monster Carrot? If you were getting Pokemon characters, why would you skip out on getting Pikachu or Charizard to get Stunfisk or Luvdisc? If you were going to get Marvel characters, why would you pass on Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Spiderman, Wolverine, Magneto, Cyclops or Phoenix to grab Matter-Eater Lad, Squirrel Girl, Captain Britain, M.O.D.O.K, Shang Chi or Jubilee? If you could get Mario characters, why would you skip on Mario, Luigi or Princess Peach to get Professor E Gadd, Birdo or Waluigi (shoutout to Waluigi bros, no offense meant, I think you understand)?

Need I go on with more franchises? Do you get the point? Sakurai picking Cloud and Hero over Geno is not him lying about liking Geno or him being a an asshole, but it's Sakurai making the obvious choice that any unbiased person would make in such a situation. Being recognizable may not be the most important factor, but my god does it play an important part, and he's making a product to appeal to the general masses. He has to balance which choices he can actually make with those that people would love with those that are able to be approved with those he can feasibly make happen with those he thinks will actually be fun. There are many other factors, both within and outside his control that determine what characters he can and cannot get in the game, and that just goes towards getting the rights. Then there is making the characters and the stages and all the other content.

This is what pisses me off about those here who were upset about Geno's Mii Costume in Smash 4. I saw it for what it was: a nice little gift to the community to prove that Sakurai noticed us but just couldn't make it happen this time around and that Geno isn't just a dead character. I was so happy and surprised that it even happened at all because, even though I want him as a playable unique fighter, I never thought he had a chance in hell since I'm realistic about his current status. Meanwhile, we have people who went so far as to call it an insult and were angry about it because Sakurai didn't make Geno playable. Did you all forget that he's a nobody or something? The vice versa would have been playable Geno with a Cloud Mii costume, and that would have been the worst decision ever made. People would have flipped their **** that some no-name random-ass puppet got in but Cloud didn't.

The man is busting his ass and that of his remaining crew to do all this and just flatout make the best game he can and include as much stuff as he can, and you start spreading ****talk about him like this?

Grow up. It's not all about you or Geno.

Root for him, yes. Act like a selfish child over him? Unacceptable.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
When was that stated?
Which thing? The Sakurai thing, or the Puyo Puyo thing?

If your talking about the Puyo remark

If your talking about the Sakurai remark, your gonna have to wait on that mark, because that was something he apparently put down in a book he wrote awhile back ago

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, uh, in the Newcomer Speculation thread, a link to a post by Burb on GameFAQs was shared (this post being 3 months ago, but idk...). In it, he mentions he has info that would tick a certain user off, but the info isn't concrete and is unrelated to fighter #5, however it has me worried for both Geno and Steve based on the user in question...

This is Burb's post; he mentioned it not being concrete and being unrelated to fighter 5 in posts after it:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78003945?page=1

Do y'all think it's worth keeping in mind?

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I wanted to chime in on that leak, and also giving my support for it and you Geno fans with something that I've thought in relation to it and why I feel it's not only real, but it's also lining up with Doomslayer being either the last fighter in the pack or a post-pass character.

Now, the Geno costume was more or less the catalyst for an influx of support that Geno's gotten in the last few years. You'll also notice Geno got a splash screen, unique to him and him only.

Now everyone thought Geno was coming back as a costume and then coming as a fighter thanks to the Grinch Leak. And neither happened. And then comes the leak with the Mallow Hat and Cacodemon Hat. Now why those two specifically? Wouldn't it make sense to show Geno's costume? And then I see the cacodemon hat. Why the cacodemon and Mallow together? Either this is an elaborate troll that's trying to play with people in a more detailed manner like the Grinch leak using those hats to sucker people into thinking Geno's coming or this could be a way to commemorate Geno and Doomslayer's inclusion in Smash Bros. Granted, it could be another character from Bethesda, but then, why the cacodemon specifically? Why not show off Doomslayer's costume unless it meant he was coming as a playable character? This isn't like the other companies' situation where you get Goemon and Akira costumes due to having stake in the roster; Bethesda would have to have a character coming if the cacodemon is anything to go by and if it's the cacodemon being presented as a costume, who else would go well with it other than either a Doomslayer costume or the Doomslayer himself?

This also applies for Geno, given Mallow's hat which we could have gotten in Smash Four or it just means we get a Geno costume and a Mallow hat as a bonus. Right?

Well, here's where that boggles me and why I think the leak is real: Other supposed insiders are denying it and modders have dug into Ultimate and tried to replicate it and all the results have been poor if not impossible due to how Mii hats work this time around. If this were a mod for Ultimate, it would mean someone has come to groundbreaking results for Ultimate modding. But then if it was a fake and someone admitted to it, they'd have to show their work. Every attempt to try to debunk it has only gotten far as to get the model in the preview screen, never an in-game match due to the game crashing if the costume's filesize is too high. So with that said, this could mean

-The leak is real and we're getting Geno and Doomslayer soon
-The leak is real, but we're getting Geno and Doomslayer costumes with Mallow and Cacodemon
-The leak is just modded footage of Ultimate and someone knows things others don't and won't share

Any of the above is possible. But then I consider that Super Mario RPG is available on the SNES Mini and Sakurai more or less has the rights to Geno and Mallow already via spirits, so why not go further and add Geno as a fighter now that the base game is out and situated? Square would also get a cut of the sales directly if the rumors are true about Cloud barely making it in due to their stinginess. I repeat, any of the above scenarios are possible but I feel that the first bullet is very likely. Doomslayer fits with Reggie's statement on characters you wouldn't imagine being in Smash and Doomslayer is from an IP more known in the west, said region getting a few bones with Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo.

Plus to me, this would be another vindication to another fan favorite going back over a decade and in this case, damn near two. I played Super Mario RPG and saw my godbrother play it on release and way before Smash was in my mainstream life, I played and loved the game and its visuals mainly and saw it as a unique RPG with a flare still not seen in Mario's world as of 2019. A time capsule showing Mario's ambitious beginnings in branching out of the platforming genre. Geno wasn't on my lists, but I understand and saw his support way back and know that he'd be a prime candidate for the DLC, if only to stand by the Ridley fans and in my case, the K. Rool/Banjo fans as finally putting to rest the argument of relevancy and other asinine arguments for why a character can't get in as a playable, Sakurai himself stating that a character's relevancy means nothing so long as they're fun to play, another possible hint perhaps?

Last thing to consider with that splash screen: It was shown right around the time Sakurai was composing his project plan for Ultimate. Perhaps this was his way of seeing Geno fans some type of way knowing Four was pretty much done and the Switch being around the corner and wanting to wait for another chance to get him in Smash as a playable character. With the base game done, wouldn't it make sense to try to push for Geno as a fighter instead of bringing back the costume if it got its own splash screen? It wouldn't have the same impact twice. If Mallow was shown in that leak as a hat, wouldn't that further prove Geno's chances to be ripe for the next or near-future reveal? Especially if the cacodemon hat was alongside it and not a Doomslayer gunner costume?

Short version: I stand by the leak and feel that he's likely to come alongside Doomslayer. Count me in as one of Geno's supporters.
The stars shine brightly this fine night.
A damn good post, this! I have a point to add to this, but first I'd like to make a few corrections:

First off, all we've really heard from insiders is that they simply haven't heard of anything regarding these. They haven't outright said they were fake, the just don't know. And second, there have been some working Mii hat mods in response to the CacoMallow post:
View attachment 253350
The size issue is still a thing, but it's perfectly possible to make working Mii hat mods.

Anyways, I wanted to add to your initial point right here:

A lot of people tend to take for granted how much risk there is with this leaking thing, and how easily it is to be discovered, fired, and disemboweled by the Nintendo Ninjas, especially if you're leaking things yourself via 4chan. This is amplified even further if you're leaking particularly juicy info, as Stabby found out when he got CnD'd before he could leak the E3 Direct. If you're going so far as to leak stuff under Nintendo's round, moustache-clad nose, it helps to not also royally piss them off in the process.

This leads me to the CacoMallow post. A lot of people have been wondering why whoever leaked this (assuming it's real, which I think and will say for the sake of argument that it is) didn't go further and show off Geno, Doomguy, Dovakin, Terry (who hadn't been released at the time), etc., instead of just some Mii Costumes. Well, I think it's rather simple: He didn't need to. I believe that the Mallow and Cacodemon hats were chosen specifically because of their very unique quality of being able to both convey some really juicy info whilst also being plain enough and having just enough plausable deniability to minimize risk for the leaker and keep them off of Nintendo's radar.

The CacoMallow post appears very ho-hum as far as leaks go, especially compared to what we've got for Ultimate thus-far. All it shows is two fancy-looking hats and nothing else. I mean sure, one of the hats is from an american company not currently affiliated with Smash, but it still doesn't outright reveal anything else. On the surface, it's not all that bad. But dig a little deeper and get your noggin' joggin' a beat, and it's meaning becomes crystal clear. It's pretty obvious that this is hinting towards Doomguy (or any other Bethesda character) and Geno coming to Smash post-Fighter Pass. I mean, unless you had some other outcomes for Geno and Doomguy in mind (which have their own flaws in logic if you ask me), it's pretty hard not to see this as anything other than a hint.

Now you may be wondering "Well, Nintendo clearly aren't that dumb to overlook this post assuming it's real, so why didn't they just take it down?". Well, consider how the leak's been regarded with the community: Most people who've heard of the CacoMallow post have either dismissed it as a mere mod by some talented Artsi Omni-tier troll, or have completely forgotten about it. If that's the case, there's really no reason for Nintendo to waste time worrying or doing anything about it, since as far as most people are concerned it came and went like a fart in the wind. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Not that they really could do anything about it since any action on their part, such as flagging any videos showing the leak or talking about it, would be taken by most as a sign that it was legit, drawing unnecessary attention to it that they clearly don't want.

Furthermore, consider when the CacoMallow post first dropped. Consider what was also happening around that time. That's right, the Pokemon Sword & Shield Leaks. Compared to that whole kerfuffle the CacoMallow post seems like small potatoes, which would allow it to better pass by undetected. Of course, Nintendo can totally keep an eye on both situations, I'm not so dumb as to insinuate they can't walk and chew gum at the same time here, but I wouldn't doubt that something like that would certainly aid in the CacoMallow post slipping by relatively unknown. I'm also not saying that it was planned that way, either.

Either way, I believe that it's no accident that the CacoMallow post was presented in the way it is. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say it's downright ingenious. Forget slipping past the radar, it's practically hiding in plain sight. So unremarkable-looking that most will dismiss it, so clear that it's easily understood by it's recipients, but just sensitive enough to stay any action on Nintendo's part, meaning they can't do a damn thing about it lest they spoil the suprise. If this turns out to be legitimate, I think the CacoMallow post will go down in infamy as one of the best leaks in all of Smash. It's not very showy or dramatic, but at the end of the day posting potential Smash leaks isn't about being flashy, it's about sending a message.
Something I wanted to chime in on regarding Cacomallow. The NoA ambassador told us that Nintendo basically nuked the Ken leaker to oblivion (his story was that the Ken leaker was a beta tester and thus super easy to track down) but didn't do it until after the November Direct. Supposedly there was a lot of freaking out about it but they didn't start chopping heads until after Ken was formally revealed. That said, they still believe it's fake but it's worth noting that we have examples of Nintendo going after people before and after the fact. Food for thought: this could be another case of where they wait to hang the guy, kind of like what's happening now with Pokemon Spit and Rinse.
Good day Genobros. I'll join in on the CacoMallow discussion. I for one believe that the CacoMallow leak, is legit. The reason why I believe this is because:

1.) The screenshots, and video footage weren't blurry like many other supposed "leaks" that have surfaced throughout this DLC cycle, and
2.) Ken being in the screenshot doing one of his taunts; the same one he did in the first "Ken leak" prior to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's release.

This second point is important. It is also insightful that Fatman chimed in with the aftermath of the leak and the individual who leaked the image. The way I see the CacoMallow leak, just as some have discussed here, is an ingenious leak. Two Mii Hats that look very well made, and it's not just a screenshot, but we got gameplay footage of Mii Fighters wearing said Mii Hats. True that some time after said leak came out, at first many defended it saying that modding Ultimate's Mii costumes was near impossible. After that however, detractors surfaced claiming that said costumes could be easily modded into the game (though the examples they provided looked far from the ones seen on the leak).

Now, back to the point. The CacoMallow leak came out (and it's been a while too). Many first believed it, but later many grew skeptic over it. Nintendo on the other hand has done NOTHING in regards to that leak (no action, no comments, nothing), almost as if... they knew. As MisterMike mentioned, if Nintendo were to make any sort of comment or take action in regards to that leak, they would pretty much be screaming "DOOMSLAYER AND GENO ARE IN SMASH GUYS". What is seems to me like they're doing is that, they saw the leak; saw it do its rounds on the web, but decided to just leave it there. Let it circle around the web, forums, etc. True that many will believe, but detractors will arise regardless, and it is them who will take care of undermining the leak's credibility. The very own web will seed doubt into the leak, and it'll like if nothing happened. But, the leak us there. Just like the "Ken leak" from pre-launch.

But the thing that boosts the CacoMallow leak's legitimacy isn't only the similarity it has to the Ken leak, but also some interesting expressions and interactions from important figures within Id Software. Sure, from that interview to Pete Hines a few months ago, his tame yet brief response to the question of whether he had spoken with Nintendo about Smash, to the out-of-nowhere interest of wanting to see DoomSlayer featured in Smash, during an interview with devs. of DOOM Eternal during QuakeCon 2019; these coincidences begin to seem to be more than just that. Heck, we had Pete Hines himself in the 9.4.2019 Nintendo Direct announcing DOOM 64 coming to the Switch around the same date DOOM Eternal launches (if I'm not mistaken). Oh, and don't get me started (nvm, I'm started anyways:p) as to what I think of them (Id Software) announcing that Eternal had to be delayed in order for them to improve the game's gameplay experience. Sure, it may honestly be just that... BUT WHAT IF... they actually lent some staff to the Smash team to work on Doom Slayer's character model for Ultimate? There's also the tweet Mick Gordon tweeted out a few months ago as well with him saying that he was working on "something". For those who may not know who he is; Mick Gordon composed DOOM 2016's (and I think Eternal as well) soundtrack. I'm getting Kirkhope vibes out of that as I think about it.

Apologies for having gone a bit on with Doom Slayer but, I find these details to further legitimize the CacoMallow leak (thus legitimizing both Doom Slayer, and Geno's inclusion as fighters in Ultimate).

I apologize again cause... I'm actually not done yet. :grin: Just two more things I'd like to add.

1. Prior to there being announced additional DLC coming in the future for Ultimate, the current Fighters Pass was going to be IT. Five DLC fighters and no more. The past couple of days, an official Nintendo tweet from 2015 resurfaced and it was none other than the 12.15.2015 Smash Direct announcement. That Smash Direct showed off the last two DLC characters for Smash 4 back then, and in which we got the surprise reveal of Bayonetta being the final DLC fighter, as well as the one that won the Ballot. If we somehow... manage to get an announcement for a December Nintendo/Smash Direct... I could see Doom Slayer being Ultimate's Bayonetta announcement from Smash 4.

2. After Hero got revealed at the start of this year's E3 Nintendo Direct, there were mixed reactions throughout the Internet. The whole thing with Japan being super hyped, while the west in average being unimpressed. Hero is considered to be the "Japan" pick of the Fighters Pass (thought honestly, imo Hero's a BIG DEAL regardless). However, Banjo & Kazooie cannot be considered the "Western" pick. Doom Slayer would fit the description instead. It would potentially be a mirror from E3's Hero reveal. Personally, this would be a great way to end the pass tho.

THEN... cue surprise Geno reveal + DLC wave 2. :2gud:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
So, uh, in the Newcomer Speculation thread, a link to a post by Burb on GameFAQs was shared (this post being 3 months ago, but idk...). In it, he mentions he has info that would tick a certain user off, but the info isn't concrete and is unrelated to fighter #5, however it has me worried for both Geno and Steve based on the user in question...

This is Burb's post; he mentioned it not being concrete and being unrelated to fighter 5 in posts after it:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78003945?page=1

No, not at all. i could say that i was a leaker all along and that my jokes about the Goose in Smash were coming true sooner or later

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Talk about twisting words out of context. Firstly, what devs supposedly turned Sakurai down? I don't ever remember hearing that. Source please?

Secondly, it's totally understandable why the director wouldn't want Puyo Puyo in something like smash. We're talking about little colored blobs. All due respect to the advocates of tetromino figters, but it would honestly be stupid to put a faceless, limbless block (or blob) in a fighting game. Apparently, the developers of said IPs agree with me. And even if it wasn't, there is a myriad of other characters out there that would simply fit better in the genre. Sorry, that's just how I feel.

Lastly, you're grossly underestimating the amount of power that Smash inclusion supplies. Case in point, I never had any clue who Joker was prior to his inclusion. Since then, I've bought Persona 5 and now love him and the franchise. Doubt I'm the only one. Hero and Terry were similar and I bet there are tons of people that at least look deeper into those IPs after seeing them in smash. So yes, it WOULD be stupid to ignore the exposure unless your franchise realistically wouldn't fit in the first place.
We aren't talking about the puyos though. This was regarding Arle as a fighter. He dismissed the idea that his characters would be involved with violence of any kind. They don't fight one another as he put it.

As much as I would like Arle (more so just a Carbuncle Mii hat) I have to respect the creator's wishes. Unfortunately Geno isn't really in a position where we would get a clear answer on whether he is wanted or not..

I wouldn't say "we". There's maybe one or two people that think that but there's been a lot of evidence to suggest otherwise. I would advise that we move on from the topic since it's really not productive and frankly too early to draw such a conclusion.

So a more interesting question I would have for everyone is what other costumes would come with a playable Geno? Assuming Mallow and Smithy costumes turn out to be real, what else could there be besides Chocobo?
Crono costume.

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
We aren't talking about the puyos though. This was regarding Arle as a fighter. He dismissed the idea that his characters would be involved with violence of any kind. They don't fight one another as he put it.

As much as I would like Arle (more so just a Carbuncle Mii hat) I have to respect the creator's wishes. Unfortunately Geno isn't really in a position where we would get a clear answer on whether he is wanted or not..

Crono costume.
The only good thing about a Crono costume in my opinion would be that modders could use those assets to make a playable Crono

domriver

Smash Lord
I remember reading somewhere that someone asked would Geno's stage be a traveling stage or just one place.
For me personally I would be 10000000000% content if it was bowser's castle at top with Exor in the middle (background) Fighting a Giant sword is something i really enjoyed. Traveling would be great dont get me wrong travel to various points of the RPG world Nimbus Island the Volcano, sewers, etc... I hope Sakurai puts in many cameos like he did with SNK. lol

dolke

Smash Cadet
Good day Genobros. I'll join in on the CacoMallow discussion. I for one believe that the CacoMallow leak, is legit. The reason why I believe this is because:

1.) The screenshots, and video footage weren't blurry like many other supposed "leaks" that have surfaced throughout this DLC cycle, and
2.) Ken being in the screenshot doing one of his taunts; the same one he did in the first "Ken leak" prior to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's release.

This second point is important. It is also insightful that Fatman chimed in with the aftermath of the leak and the individual who leaked the image. The way I see the CacoMallow leak, just as some have discussed here, is an ingenious leak. Two Mii Hats that look very well made, and it's not just a screenshot, but we got gameplay footage of Mii Fighters wearing said Mii Hats. True that some time after said leak came out, at first many defended it saying that modding Ultimate's Mii costumes was near impossible. After that however, detractors surfaced claiming that said costumes could be easily modded into the game (though the examples they provided looked far from the ones seen on the leak).

Now, back to the point. The CacoMallow leak came out (and it's been a while too). Many first believed it, but later many grew skeptic over it. Nintendo on the other hand has done NOTHING in regards to that leak (no action, no comments, nothing), almost as if... they knew. As MisterMike mentioned, if Nintendo were to make any sort of comment or take action in regards to that leak, they would pretty much be screaming "DOOMSLAYER AND GENO ARE IN SMASH GUYS". What is seems to me like they're doing is that, they saw the leak; saw it do its rounds on the web, but decided to just leave it there. Let it circle around the web, forums, etc. True that many will believe, but detractors will arise regardless, and it is them who will take care of undermining the leak's credibility. The very own web will seed doubt into the leak, and it'll like if nothing happened. But, the leak us there. Just like the "Ken leak" from pre-launch.

But the thing that boosts the CacoMallow leak's legitimacy isn't only the similarity it has to the Ken leak, but also some interesting expressions and interactions from important figures within Id Software. Sure, from that interview to Pete Hines a few months ago, his tame yet brief response to the question of whether he had spoken with Nintendo about Smash, to the out-of-nowhere interest of wanting to see DoomSlayer featured in Smash, during an interview with devs. of DOOM Eternal during QuakeCon 2019; these coincidences begin to seem to be more than just that. Heck, we had Pete Hines himself in the 9.4.2019 Nintendo Direct announcing DOOM 64 coming to the Switch around the same date DOOM Eternal launches (if I'm not mistaken). Oh, and don't get me started (nvm, I'm started anyways:p) as to what I think of them (Id Software) announcing that Eternal had to be delayed in order for them to improve the game's gameplay experience. Sure, it may honestly be just that... BUT WHAT IF... they actually lent some staff to the Smash team to work on Doom Slayer's character model for Ultimate? There's also the tweet Mick Gordon tweeted out a few months ago as well with him saying that he was working on "something". For those who may not know who he is; Mick Gordon composed DOOM 2016's (and I think Eternal as well) soundtrack. I'm getting Kirkhope vibes out of that as I think about it.

Apologies for having gone a bit on with Doom Slayer but, I find these details to further legitimize the CacoMallow leak (thus legitimizing both Doom Slayer, and Geno's inclusion as fighters in Ultimate).

I apologize again cause... I'm actually not done yet. :grin: Just two more things I'd like to add.

1. Prior to there being announced additional DLC coming in the future for Ultimate, the current Fighters Pass was going to be IT. Five DLC fighters and no more. The past couple of days, an official Nintendo tweet from 2015 resurfaced and it was none other than the 12.15.2015 Smash Direct announcement. That Smash Direct showed off the last two DLC characters for Smash 4 back then, and in which we got the surprise reveal of Bayonetta being the final DLC fighter, as well as the one that won the Ballot. If we somehow... manage to get an announcement for a December Nintendo/Smash Direct... I could see Doom Slayer being Ultimate's Bayonetta announcement from Smash 4.

2. After Hero got revealed at the start of this year's E3 Nintendo Direct, there were mixed reactions throughout the Internet. The whole thing with Japan being super hyped, while the west in average being unimpressed. Hero is considered to be the "Japan" pick of the Fighters Pass (thought honestly, imo Hero's a BIG DEAL regardless). However, Banjo & Kazooie cannot be considered the "Western" pick. Doom Slayer would fit the description instead. It would potentially be a mirror from E3's Hero reveal. Personally, this would be a great way to end the pass tho.

THEN... cue surprise Geno reveal + DLC wave 2. :2gud:
Hey, you wanna drop this on the Slayer board? I'm sure the guys there would appreciate it.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm kind of split on the cacomallow leak. I agree that Nintendo may not have taken down the videos because they don't want to raise awareness on it or it may not have been a priority for them compared to the Sword/Shield leaks. But don't forget that it could just be fake thus Nintendo doesn't care. And I just got this feeling that there is a chance that it was created by some really talented hacker who managed to figure out how to get the Mii hats working in-game and decided to post it as a "leak" and not share his knowledge with the community. Honestly I'm putting some doubt on this leak also because I don't want to get burned again like with the Grinch leak. And after the Game Awards, I don't want to get disappointed a 3rd time.

I don't want to be a downer though. I do give this leak a 50-60% chance of being real because it's a leak that is actually not blurry. Also, the fact that it took a while for hackers to make models that came close to the leak decreases the chances of a rando hacker finding the secret method of implementing the Mii hats correctly. Unless if that hacker was specifically using a lot of his time to figure out how to hack in Mii hats without the game crashing. Also, the leak video was a replay right? That would allow someone to film it easier, especially since there were 3 people controlling the characters.

To believe or not to believe. It would be so hype to get Geno and Doom Slayer. But it seems almost too good to be true.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Serenade, let me preface this with the statement that I love ya. You are a cool dude, and we like a lot of the same stuff and agree with ya a lot of the time and you can even be funny sometimes. Cool? Cool.

You are acting like an entitled, pissy little child with this...again, since this has happened before, and I'm not going to be easy about it this time.

Dunno if you noticed this, but most of us in here want Geno. You'll also notice that most of us here don't throw written tantrums on how 'Sakurai hates Geno, what an asshole of a developer for not putting in the character I want.' Why is that?

Because we are being realistic while you are living in lala land.

You remember your post a few pages back in which you were pissy and devastated at the idea that Fighter #5 is likely not Geno and, thus, there were plans before the second round of DLC for Smash Ultimate to end support with Geno in as playable? Remember how I called you out then as well, as well as several others, on how that's not only a ridiculous stance to have but that also it doesn't matter because Ultimate is getting more DLC and Geno is likely among that DLC? You pulled the same **** then to, trying to cover your whining by saying "Sorry for me supporting Geno in the Geno thread" and it didn't work then and it won't work now.

You aren't supporting Geno: you are being childish and making other Geno fans look bad because you didn't get your way. So, to quote a famous rapper:

"Back to reality, oops there goes gravity."

Dunno if you knew this or not, but Geno is a DEAD CHARACTER FROM A DEAD FRANCHISE WHO'S SPIRITUAL SUCCESSORS ARE EITHER DEAD OR SOULLESS HUSKS OF THEIR FORMER SELVES AND HASN'T BEEN RELEVANT SINCE 1996 AND WAS BARELY RELEVANT THEN FOR A FEW MONTHS.

I've said it time and again that the ONLY reason he has any chance to be in Smash is due to fan support. Because we are all a bunch of loving nerds who think he should be revived and we've been campaigning for this since pre-2007, this unknown and dead character has a chance to be in the most prestigious crossover fighting game in the world. Remember that 'Smash Bubble' term that our resident fringe debating mastermind came up with? Geno is only popular in that bubble and has barely and recognition or appeal outside of it, and the more time passes the less he has.

Meanwhile, YOU are acting like grabbing the FACE of Square Enix and Final Fantasy and multiple main protagonists from the franchise that DEFINED RPGS AS WE KNOW THEM AS A GENRE that is so big in Sakurai's country that they have a holiday for it and games have to release on the weekend or else people will walk out of work and school to grab that **** is some sort of unjust travesty because Sakurai didn't get a dead character from a dead franchise that is on very uncertain terms due to when it was made and what happened shortly after between two companies.

Do you not see how delusional you are? If you could get characters from Star Wars, why would you skip on Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker to get Boba Fett or Jar Jar Binks? If you were getting characters from DBZ, why would you skip on Goku or Vegeta to pick Korin, Dende, Mr. Popo or Monster Carrot? If you were getting Pokemon characters, why would you skip out on getting Pikachu or Charizard to get Stunfisk or Luvdisc? If you were going to get Marvel characters, why would you pass on Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Spiderman, Wolverine, Magneto, Cyclops or Phoenix to grab Matter-Eater Lad, Squirrel Girl, Captain Britain, M.O.D.O.K, Shang Chi or Jubilee? If you could get Mario characters, why would you skip on Mario, Luigi or Princess Peach to get Professor E Gadd, Birdo or Waluigi (shoutout to Waluigi bros, no offense meant, I think you understand)?

Need I go on with more franchises? Do you get the point? Sakurai picking Cloud and Hero over Geno is not him lying about liking Geno or him being a an asshole, but it's Sakurai making the obvious choice that any unbiased person would make in such a situation. Being recognizable may not be the most important factor, but my god does it play an important part, and he's making a product to appeal to the general masses. He has to balance which choices he can actually make with those that people would love with those that are able to be approved with those he can feasibly make happen with those he thinks will actually be fun. There are many other factors, both within and outside his control that determine what characters he can and cannot get in the game, and that just goes towards getting the rights. Then there is making the characters and the stages and all the other content.

This is what pisses me off about those here who were upset about Geno's Mii Costume in Smash 4. I saw it for what it was: a nice little gift to the community to prove that Sakurai noticed us but just couldn't make it happen this time around and that Geno isn't just a dead character. I was so happy and surprised that it even happened at all because, even though I want him as a playable unique fighter, I never thought he had a chance in hell since I'm realistic about his current status. Meanwhile, we have people who went so far as to call it an insult and were angry about it because Sakurai didn't make Geno playable. Did you all forget that he's a nobody or something? The vice versa would have been playable Geno with a Cloud Mii costume, and that would have been the worst decision ever made. People would have flipped their **** that some no-name random-ass puppet got in but Cloud didn't.

The man is busting his ass and that of his remaining crew to do all this and just flatout make the best game he can and include as much stuff as he can, and you start spreading ****talk about him like this?

Grow up. It's not all about you or Geno.

Root for him, yes. Act like a selfish child over him? Unacceptable.
Matter Eater Lad is actually a DC character but otherwise good post I agree

D

Deleted member

Alright it pains me to say this but I'll be leaving and moving on from the thread. I love Geno and he's one of my absolute favorite video game characters but I can't handle all these people coming into this thread to **** on Geno left and right. I even got flack for commenting on a Silvagunner King for a Day arrangement just cause I like Geno out of the blue, Out of nowhere I was yelled at for no good reason. That's bull****.

People call us a "cult" or "an echo chamber" but really we aren't anywhere else but here cause people will most likely mock us for who we like. I already have self-esteem issues upon other things so I can't deal with that kind of stuff man yet I still want to use this website so I guess I'll be moving onto other characters and other things elsewhere. I may pop in once in awhile cause I still do love Geno but for the most part I think it's best for me to move on.

So, Farewell Geno thread I hope the future is bright for our boy and that I can come back one day and celebrate with the rest of you but I'm dropping out.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So Nintendo has been suddenly dropping stuff on YouTube and Twitter over the past few days. Like, you wouldn't have known there was going to be DLC for Luigi's Mansion 3 if you didn't check Twitter

Or hey, did you know Cross-Save now supports certain titles on Steam? You wouldn't know if you didn't check YouTube

What I'm trying to say is, these are the kind of announcements you'd expect in a Direct. The fact they're all being unceremoniously dropped on social media with no warning means not to expect a Direct before January. On one hand, they could be trimming the fat to make the Jan direct packed with more stuff we want to see (like Fighter 5) but there's also the chance that they really have nothing to share and they're kinda just doing a dump.

I remember doing this once before, a pseudo "Twitter Direct" back when we were in the big drought like a year or two ago where they just quietly shuffled out minor announcements.

Either way, I wouldn't expect Geno or whoever Fighter 5 is before January now

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Alright it pains me to say this but I'll be leaving and moving on from the thread. I love Geno and he's one of my absolute favorite video game characters but I can't handle all these people coming into this thread to **** on Geno left and right. I even got flack for commenting on a Silvagunner King for a Day arrangement just cause I like Geno out of the blue, Out of nowhere I was yelled at for no good reason. That's bull****.

People call us a "cult" or "an echo chamber" but really we aren't anywhere else but here cause people will most likely mock us for who we like. I already have self-esteem issues upon other things so I can't deal with that kind of stuff man yet I still want to use this website so I guess I'll be moving onto other characters and other things elsewhere. I may pop in once in awhile cause I still do love Geno but for the most part I think it's best for me to move on.

So, Farewell Geno thread I hope the future is bright for our boy and that I can come back one day and celebrate with the rest of you but I'm dropping out.
It sucks seeing you go man. See you around here on other boards. If it's for the good of your mental health, godspeed to you sir.

D

Deleted member

While he did say it’s not concrete he hasn't even given an update about In 3 months so I think it’s likley faded away but if it were still going I think it’s likley to do with just steve since this thread was about him saying if Steve is still in to verge

sorry

No, not at all. i could say that i was a leaker all along and that my jokes about the Goose in Smash were coming true sooner or later
Thing is he talks to sabi and got info from an group but dosent call himself a leaker. But it shouldn’t be a problem since it isn’t concrete and 3 months old

I'll miss you bro, but do what's best for you. Good looking out. I promise you, we'll get our boy in this game one day...

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
While he did say it’s not concrete he hasn't even given an update about In 3 months so I think it’s likley faded away but if it were still going I think it’s likley to do with just steve since this thread was about him saying if Steve is still in to verge

sorry

Thing is he talks to sabi and got info from an group but dosent call himself a leaker. But it shouldn’t be a problem since it isn’t concrete and 3 months old
Well it's good to know that we shouldn't worry about it

It's sad to see you go man, but your mental health is important my dude so take care. if you need anyone to talk to or if you're feeling down we will be here to help you ^^

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So Nintendo has been suddenly dropping stuff on YouTube and Twitter over the past few days. Like, you wouldn't have known there was going to be DLC for Luigi's Mansion 3 if you didn't check Twitter
See, Nintendo wouldn't have to worry about news not getting to people if there was some big event that they could use for advertising. If only there was a large and major public venue centered around video games this month, maybe even where games receive awards, that Nintendo could join in and announce game updates and DLC. This event could hit a far broader audience than Twitter, especially as Twitter posts can get buried in other things and missed out. Sadly, no award show around gaming happened this month.

If Geno's costume comes with 5, I would have to question the complete lack of self-awareness on their part, especially as he could just have come with Hero. It would be a dumb delay, like holding off Shadow and Isaac to the final Direct. They are aware of various character's popularity, so there would be no excuse for them to waiting till number 5.

D

Deleted member

So Burb got connected to insider information regarding Geno’s Mii Costume?

Last edited by a moderator:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
So Burb got connected to insider information regarding Geno’s Mii Costume?

I highly doubt this guy knows anything. This is the same guy who came in and tryed to start stuff with fatman. At best was portably just some rando rumor he heard that ended up not being true. If it was still being talked about I feel like he would have updated on this.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I highly doubt this guy knows anything. This is the same guy who came in and tryed to start stuff with fatman. At best was portably just some rando rumor he heard that ended up not being true. If it was still being talked about I feel like he would have updated on this.
I couldn't agree more with you

D

Deleted member

I sure do hope this info from this “associated party” was all bogus. I’m also suspicious that the piece of information of Geno and Steve potentially Mii costumes wasn’t really there as a topic at Sabi’s discord and I think Fatman would of been aware of this piece of information if it really was some credible rumor.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It might be best not to bring Burb up in the thread. Looking up his past history on other platforms, he kind of has a notorious history of being a terrible human being. It would just annoy others and have the same thing happen again. Best to avoid any of that.

Regarding Geno, whether we get the mii costume or not would still help me be at peace with Geno getting in or not. As much as I want him as a playable character, half of me wants to just have the bandaid ripped off in the event he isn't meant to be. But I much prefer the former being that Geno has been my all time most wanted character.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I have something very important to show you all:
GENO SKATE DA BURBS.
GenoSkateDaBurbs.png

That is all.

T2by4

Smash Lord

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
See, Nintendo wouldn't have to worry about news not getting to people if there was some big event that they could use for advertising. If only there was a large and major public venue centered around video games this month, maybe even where games receive awards, that Nintendo could join in and announce game updates and DLC. This event could hit a far broader audience than Twitter, especially as Twitter posts can get buried in other things and missed out. Sadly, no award show around gaming happened this month.

If Geno's costume comes with 5, I would have to question the complete lack of self-awareness on their part, especially as he could just have come with Hero. It would be a dumb delay, like holding off Shadow and Isaac to the final Direct. They are aware of various character's popularity, so there would be no excuse for them to waiting till number 5.
Here's the thing, Sakurai and Nintendo never think that the fans dislike it when a character is an Assist Trophy or a Mii Costume. They think that people would be just as happy regardless if they were playable or not, despite the fact that there are most fans don't like that at all. Sakurai doesn't look at how people react to news, so in his mind when they showed off all those fan favorite characters being Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes he thought that everyone was going to love it. So with that mindset of course Sakurai would think holding off on Geno Mii Costume would be a smart idea because he thinks people are going to be very happy with.

Sakurai for the most part doesn't understand the Smash fans views on a lot of matters, he tries to remain separate from it. So that's why we keep getting fan favorite as Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes, and Spirits. He has a disconnection, especially for his western fans, which is a shame because Smash Bros sees the most improvement when listening to the fans (remember when Sakurai thought tripping, stage boss, Smash Tour, and Wii U Classic Mode were good ideas?)

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Here's the thing, Sakurai and Nintendo never think that the fans dislike it when a character is an Assist Trophy or a Mii Costume. They think that people would be just as happy regardless if they were playable or not, despite the fact that there are most fans don't like that at all. Sakurai doesn't look at how people react to news, so in his mind when they showed off all those fan favorite characters being Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes he thought that everyone was going to love it. So with that mindset of course Sakurai would think holding off on Geno Mii Costume would be a smart idea because he thinks people are going to be very happy with.

Sakurai for the most part doesn't understand the Smash fans views on a lot of matters, he tries to remain separate from it. So that's why we keep getting fan favorite as Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes, and Spirits. He has a disconnection, especially for his western fans, which is a shame because Smash Bros sees the most improvement when listening to the fans (remember when Sakurai thought tripping, stage boss, Smash Tour, and Wii U Classic Mode were good ideas?)
Oh I forgot, you know Sakurai and work at Nintendo.

Btw, I'm pretty sure its not just "HEY LETS PUT THIS CHARACTER IN AND IT BE GOOD" or "YO I HAVE MOVESET FOR CHARACTER LET MAKE". Quite honestly, we don't know about the licencing of characters or what not. You are operating on a basis of "I didnt get my wants wah!"

PurpleGiraffesMeow

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone! I know I don't post too terribly often, but I lurk here like all the time lol.
Just thought yalld like some christmas geno art I made!

Keep on keepin' on gen-bros!!

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Hi everyone! I know I don't post too terribly often, but I lurk here like all the time lol.

I'm sorry but your art is amazing! it"s nice that you decided to join in the fun

D

Deleted member

i think you're vastly underestimating the amount of people who are happy their fave is in smash in any form and vastly overestimating the amount of people who throw temper tantrums when their fave is in but not in the way they wanted

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman

I LOVE those colors. Well done!!! Welcome aboard. :)

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Oh I forgot, you know Sakurai and work at Nintendo.

Btw, I'm pretty sure its not just "HEY LETS PUT THIS CHARACTER IN AND IT BE GOOD" or "YO I HAVE MOVESET FOR CHARACTER LET MAKE". Quite honestly, we don't know about the licencing of characters or what not. You are operating on a basis of "I didnt get my wants wah!"
So what, are you saying that Sakurai totally knows that people don't like seeing their characters turn into Assist Trophies and Mii Costume? Because if so then that would be very malicious thing to do. I look at what Sakurai said in the past when it comes to this sort of things, sorry for doing research and saying that Sakurai thinks people like it when characters are Assist Trophies and Mii Costume.

Also where did get "I didn't get my want so here's a tantrum" comment? Do you even bother to read the whole thing?
i think you're vastly underestimating the amount of people who are happy their fave is in smash in any form and vastly overestimating the amount of people who throw temper tantrums when their fave is in but not in the way they wanted
Because when I think of a fighting game I always think the best thing about it are the NPCs and just watching them walk around for 15 seconds. Best thing ever.
Also seeing how you have a Xenoblade 2 avatar I hope you really love that Rex Mii Costume, because that's going to be the only Xenoblade 2 content you're ever going to get in Smash Bros Ultimate. Better cherish it.

D

Deleted member

Because when I think of a fighting game I always think the best thing about it are the NPCs and just watching them walk around for 15 seconds. Best thing ever.
Also seeing how you have a Xenoblade 2 avatar I hope you really love that Rex Mii Costume, because that's going to be the only Xenoblade 2 content you're ever going to get in Smash Bros Ultimate. Better cherish it.
love how you just avoided my point entirely and responded with an inflammatory analogy that doesn't exactly make any sense given your complete and total lack of knowledge of me since if you did know anything you'd know that while i'm sad that an xc2 rep isn't in, i'm happy that it got so many spirits and a damn detailed mii costume and it's far better than it just being ignored as a whole which is pretty much the only alternative given the situation xc2 had found itself in due to unfortunate release timings and also that my only issue with xc rep as a whole is the lacking song selection

bruh moment

OffBi

Smash Ace
I dunno about you guys, but the exact moment the Geno costume wasn't shown was the moment I knew that he was coming, and that cacomallow leak is just the icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom