• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Why does the leak have to be fake if it does not get the 5th spot? There is nothing there to say that either and next, and as it has been discussed here much before, assuming that sort of thing can cause a lot of problems.
The leak suggests that the next two fighters will be Doom Guy and Geno.

That is why I said the only way Bandai Namco could take the 5th DLC spot for this fighter pass is if the leak is fake.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for that.

Yeah, that sucks some smoke from the no-DMCA gun.
Somewhat, mind you that gameplay was only leaked a day or 2 before Roy and Ryu were officially announced so it's a bit of a different circumstance

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Why does the leak have to be fake if it does not get the 5th spot? There is nothing there to say that either and next, and as it has been discussed here much before, assuming that sort of thing can cause a lot of problems.
If I recall correctly, the original Ken leak came before the November direct. Not Smash on August or the Nintendo Direct in September. And if that's the cause... and if that's where the cause, why did the Mii Costumes leak now, and not let say, after VGA or something.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Hasn¨t they caught the person that leaked it or is that just a rumor?
To my knowledge, no. There were a French discord users who were about as credible as any anon posting a picture of a catgirl going "I DID IT!"

There was another rumor about it being two modders into Doom and SMRPG but I can't find the source for that and nothing came of it.

Amen, Reverend. I'm right there with you. Technical details are the only thing that will yield evidence for or against the leak. Everything else is just opinion and hearsay.
That will be what really sinks it. I see a lot of claims that it's easy to do or that we have the tech but nobody is putting forth any practical examples so that's still an X-Factor.

Somewhat, mind you that gameplay was only leaked a day or 2 before Roy and Ryu were officially announced so it's a bit of a different circumstance
I did say some.
It's still one of the stronger points against it, probably the best we have right now.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I don't have a problem at all if people think its either real or fake ... since well, we won't get an answer either till A.) The "leaker" shows proof of his work or B.) We get those mii costumes eventually released. Well that, or someone can duplicate the work, or something else that has similar quality and such.

Regardless, what get's tiring is hearing bad reasoning ... not the technical stuff since not all of us are modders and have first hand knowledge on how to do these kinds of things ... Nor will I claim to be knowledgable about it .... but stuff like this is irritating:

"It's fake sense Nintendo takes down leak stuff ... Nintendo would be mandated to take them down regardless"

"*Give examples of leaks Nintendo didn't do anything about it, such as the Galeem battle that was leaked 2 weeks before the game release*"

"Two weeks before is nothing."

"Wait, you said Nintendo takes down all leak stuff but here is one example they did not and now you are saying that doesn't count?"

"I said neither thing."

It's crap like that is tiring ... which is why I am not going to join in anymore. I am more curious about the TECHINICAL side of things regarding this specific matter. Just going to listen and ask questions.
I'm guessing that argument, you stated is mine. As I said, the Galeem leak's context is different because of the fact that the entire game had leaked, and Nintendo was taking out dozens of videos that contained the leaks. Just because 1 managed to not get taken down isn't indicative of anything.

It's like me arguing that Nintendo isn't trying to bother with the Pokemon leaks, just because I can find 1 video on youtube that contains the leaks.

The problem with the Mii leak is that Nintendo hasn't taken out any video that has the leaks.

Droodle Droodle But the situation is not the same. Like I said, if Nintendo went full force on that video and it is, in fact, tied into the VGAs, they just spoiled a major announcement at an award ceremony roughly 6 weeks in advance. Perhaps it's a hyperbole but imagine if the Oscars were leaked a month in advance? There's definitely a value in keeping things a surprise.
They would spoil a major announcement, but they tend to do it anyways. Obviously it may be different this time, because maybe Bethesda is involved and specifically requested they do not copystrike. However, the pattern so far showcases that Nintendo takes down most unofficial videos that contain unrevealed footage, at least in regards to their big AAA titles.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
If I recall correctly, the original Ken leak came before the November direct. Not Smash on August or the Nintendo Direct in September. And if that's the cause... and if that's where the cause, why did the Mii Costumes leak now, and not let say, after VGA or something.
That is true, it does seem suspicious. Also why mii costumes, why not sketches of the characters. Or a brief look of the actual models of the characters.

If he/she was going to risk their job, why not actually leak the character not the mii costumes? You know either way Nintendo is going to notice and do an investigation. They have proved as much with the Pokemon Sword and Shield leaker.

The timing does seem suspicious and the content that was leaked is a bit odd. I think Geno will still happen, but I’m not willing to believe this leak is real just yet.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
That actually makes me think of an interesting point.

Say you’re this ultra-modder with unparalleled skill in both Ultimate modding and costume modeling. You know that what you’re about to do is so ridiculously skilled and intricate to the point where you doubt that even the whole modding community working together could replicate it. This costume “leak” of yours is going to be hotly debated no matter who it implies, just because of the skill and effort that you’ve put into it.

...So of course the logical step is to pick Doomguy and Geno for your leak, two relatively non-controversial picks that many expected anyway.

In other words, if I was behind this and really, really wanted to start ****? I’d do something like Heartless and N. Cortex heads. Geno certainly gets a surprising amount of backlash from some aspects of the fanbase, but he’s overall gotten a neutral/positive reception, and Doomguy’s generally been one of the speculation frontrunners ever since Bethesda wouldn’t stop hinting at something Nintendo being in the works.

Why spend all this effort to create a fake leak specifically to back up two of the blandest predictions(let me be clear: neither Geno or Doomguy are bland, but predicting them basically is at this point with everything else going for them, even the people that don’t want them expect that they’ll get in) currently in the Smash speculation scene? If you found this super-secret costume mod method that nobody else can replicate, why not go ****ing wild?

It’s just another thing to add to the pile of “weirdness that leans towards it being legit”.
You bring up a good point. If this is fake, why did they go with "safe" bets? They could have gone with Heartless or Cortex like you suggest.

Instead, they went with the most plausible choices. Something doesn't sit right now that you brought that up.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
So who was affected by this? Who have I influenced to start calling others idiots?
It seems clear that neither of you are going to agree on this, and I'd heavily advise dropping it and keeping on topic. Lest this descend into an unnecessary argument

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

That is why I said the only way Bandai Namco could take the 5th DLC spot for this fighter pass is if the leak is fake.
I mean, hasn't it been said that the Smash team has worked with at least 3 characters at a time? And even then, we are not sure how Mii costumes factor into this. It's not like it actually says so. I just don't want us to pull the same logic that got several insiders and leakers into pretty bad situations with predicting their info too early.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
So who was affected by this? Who have I influenced to start calling others idiots?
I shouldn't have to explain why overreacting to arguments that haven't even been made is a bad look for not just this thread but for everyone who thinks the rumor is real.

Besides, this is getting off-topic and beyond the scope of the thread.

I'm guessing that argument, you stated is mine. As I said, the Galeem leak's context is different because of the fact that the entire game had leaked, and Nintendo was taking out dozens of videos that contained the leaks. Just because 1 managed to not get taken down isn't indicative of anything.

It's like me arguing that Nintendo isn't trying to bother with the Pokemon leaks, just because I can find 1 video on youtube that contains the leaks.

The problem with the Mii leak is that Nintendo hasn't taken out any video that has the leaks.

They would spoil a major announcement, but they tend to do it anyways. Obviously it may be different this time, because maybe Bethesda is involved and specifically requested they do not copystrike. However, the pattern so far showcases that Nintendo takes down most unofficial videos that contain unrevealed footage, at least in regards to their big AAA titles.
If it was just a single mirror that wasn't taken down, that changes a lot. I wasn't aware of that. Yeah, the DMCA not happening yet is really damning at this point.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

The one and only thing the leak suggests is that Mallow and Cacodemon mii costumes are coming. That’s literally it.

It’s easy for us to say they’re coming next because we don’t have any solid information from insiders on who the 5th FP character is, but the mii costume leak doesn’t claim that these costumes are coming in the next wave.

Sure, they’re probably coming soon. If I had to make a bet myself I’d imagine they are next, but you can’t say this leak is fake because something totally unrelated to this leak happened.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Finally finished watching the Terry video and I gotta say it really wasn't egregious for it to be so long and just about Terry. Sakurai made it so interesting and I had a good time watching it. Sakurai is just a cool dude.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
You bring up a good point. If this is fake, why did they go with "safe" bets? They could have gone with Heartless or Cortex like you suggest.

Instead, they went with the most plausible choices. Something doesn't sit right now that you brought that up.
There is one reason I can think of, that would put this in a much different light: They were somehow aware of which characters would effectively act as a full “blind spot” for insiders and be essentially impossible to deconfirm that way, as when you start going with larger and larger names, there’s always the risk of an insider going “Sora absolutely is not happening, I can confirm that now with zero doubt.”

That has not happened yet with these two.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
There's a lot we don't know about this leak - people ask why didn't the leaker just get another character or stage on-screen or something else, but we don't know what this leaker had access to. Suppose you just walked into a room displaying these two Mii costumes - could it be they know about Geno and Doomguy coming, and they decided the Mii costumes are kind of low-key enough to post as a hint online, or did they simply record what they had just seen and posted it online without knowing for sure? Like, "I don't know if this means Geno or Doomguy are coming, but hey - it's something!"

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
It's entirely possible that the leak is fake, but it kind of lines up with insider info, which is why they lean towards fake, but can't outright deconfirm.. At least as far as sabi's source goes.

Firox

Smash Master
Finally finished watching the Terry video and I gotta say it really wasn't egregious for it to be so long and just about Terry. Sakurai made it so interesting and I had a good time watching it. Sakurai is just a cool dude.
Wasn't Sakurai's playthrough of Terry's Classic mode surprisingly intense? lol I found myself holding my breath on a couple of those fights.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I mean, hasn't it been said that the Smash team has worked with at least 3 characters at a time? And even then, we are not sure how Mii costumes factor into this. It's not like it actually says so. I just don't want us to pull the same logic that got several insiders and leakers into pretty bad situations with predicting their info too early.
Oh I agree that they are working on multiple characters. That is why I think Ryu Hayabusa will happen down the line. As it seems multiple leakers have heard about him being discussed. However it seems he will not happen for the next fighter as stated by Polar Panda and Vergeben.

That said the mii costume leak does have flaws. I don’t understand why a mii costume would leak over the actual character. Again if you are an employee for Nintendo or Bandai Namco who help make the game. If you are going to risk your job and know Nintendo will notice either way, why leak Mii costumes and not the actual character? In the original Ken leak, Ken himself was leaked not the mii costumes that would be added. So if it is the original leaker, we know they have leaked the actual character models before. Why would they choose to now leak mii costumes? They are risking their job either way.

I’m not saying the leak isn’t true, it’s just an odd thing to leak.

I still think Geno will happen, Doom Guy not so sure.

And I’m 90% positive Bandai Namco will get a 2nd rep. It too suspicious that Heihachi’s mii costume didn’t get released with the other Mii Brawler costumes.

I think Geno is a safe bet to start off the next fighter DLC’s though whether the leak is real or not :).

Also to clarify the reason I think these two characters are next in line. Is it seems likely, considering how developed their mii costumes are if it is true. We know the 5th DLC character has to be pretty fare in development by now. So it does make sense if the mii costume leak is true. That Doom Guy and Geno would be next in line to release.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I shouldn't have to explain why overreacting to arguments that haven't even been made is a bad look for not just this thread but for everyone who thinks the rumor is real.

Besides, this is getting off-topic and beyond the scope of the thread.
Well anyways, for the sake of keeping this thread on-topic, I'll DM you and we can continue this there.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh I agree that they are working on multiple characters. That is why I think Ryu Hayabusa will happen down the line. As it seems multiple leakers have heard about him being discussed. However it seems he will not happen for the next fighter as stated by Polar Panda and Vergeben.

That said the mii costume leak does have flaws. I don’t understand why a mii costume would leak over the actual character. Again if you are an employee for Nintendo or Bandai Namco who help make the game. If you are going to risk your job and know Nintendo will notice either way, why leak Mii costumes and not the actual character? In the original Ken leak, Ken himself was leaked not the mii costumes that would be added. So if it is the original leaker, we know they have leaked the actual character models before. Why would they choose to bow leak mii costumes? They are risking their job either way.

And I’m 90% positive Bandai Namco will get a 2nd rep. It too suspicious that Heihachi’s mii costume didn’t get released with the other Mii Brawler costumes.

I think Geno is a safe bet to start off the next fighter DLC’s though whether the leak is real or not :).
The thing about that logic is that it's very all or nothing. With the Ken leak we can ask "Why didn't they also leak Incineroar?" I figure it doesn't matter too much, as it was still real at the end of the day.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace

That said the mii costume leak does have flaws. I don’t understand why a mii costume would leak over the actual character. Again if you are an employee for Nintendo or Bandai Namco who help make the game. If you are going to risk your job and know Nintendo will notice either way, why leak Mii costumes and not the actual character? In the original Ken leak, Ken himself was leaked not the mii costumes that would be added. So if it is the original leaker, we know they have leaked the actual character models before. Why would they choose to bow leak mii costumes? They are risking their job either way.

Also to clarify the reason I think these two characters are next in line. Is it seems likely, considering how developed their mii costumes are if it is true. We know the 5th DLC character has to be pretty fare in development by now. So it does make sense if the mii costume leak is true. That Doom Guy and Geno would be next in line to release.
It could simply be that the characters aren’t ready, but these hats are. Hats would certainly take far less time to create.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Any confirmation on this? Who is Nanobuds? I know it's restera, who tend to have a hateboner for Geno, just want to make sure if this was debunked or not and that the leak is still good. Anyone know?

Attachments

AugustusB

Smash Champion
One thing you got me thinking about valkiriforce valkiriforce what if this guy was hired to just work on Mii Hats? A lot we do not know, but could explain why they would leak these hats and not the actual characters.
"Hey John, how is that Mallow hat coming?"
"Its coming along nicely. I think I got the jiggle down just right"
"Keep up the good work!"

"Good he's gone...." *proceeds to makes a video*

EDIT: T2by4 T2by4 that is using blender to MAKE the model. It is not the same as the one in the 'leak'. This was discussed a couple of pages back :)

Last edited:

AbeSoddus

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4523-2453-0333
"Why would they only show Mii costumes, and not the actual character?"
To tease us. lol
A real leaker with real info doesn't have to always say or show everything upfront.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Any confirmation on this? Who is Nanobuds? I know it's restera, who tend to have a hateboner for Geno, just want to make sure if this was debunked or not and that the leak is still good. Anyone know?
We've already confirmed that the hat isn't the same.

Also that poster was the same one going on about how it was impossible to fake this considering all of the limitations with Mii hats, so I begin to suspect that even authorities on the subject are getting just as swingy.

D

Deleted member

This too. Nintendo's going on a massive tear with concerns to Pokemon and taking a very Shut... Down... EVERYTHING approach to it to the point that there's now credible rumors that Nintendo's going to nuke review copies for this game and any major future Pokemon games. That's big and shows that Nintendo's that pissed about Sword and Shield leaking almost in their entirety. Yeah, in comparison, some Mii costumes that probably won't be announced for another month and half at the earliest are hardly worth it.
If I may be petty for a moment, Nintendo/The Pokemon Company deserve these leaks after this wholesale destruction of the Pokedex. I haven't been impressed enough with Pokemon to purchase a game after X and Y, but I feel for the people who have had a nearly lifelong commitment to a certain Pokemon team only to have the opportunity to play with that team stolen from them.

"Rihita" is kinda close to the proper German pronunciation of the word "Richter" which means "judge" in English. German is right after Japanese in this video: https://youtu.be/wGNTbQH1yWM?t=935
I guess I can see it, but at that point, Ri****a would work better, since it captures the "S" sound of the German.

You can indeed still find mirrors of the leaked Ryu gameplay
Like here for example
Can you imagine how many people would have called the Mii costume fake if Mario showed up down there instead of the actual Mii Renders? Even I'd think it's fake.

I'm not going to get too hung up on the lack of copyright claims on the Mii costume videos. For one, I agree with Fatman and suggested it myself yesterday - Nintendo has ever reason to want to try and keep these Pokemon leaks from getting too far (which they're failing at miserably, by the way) because Pokemon is gonna sell literally millions of copies on day one. There was already a big enough stink about the fact that not every Pokemon was gonna be obtainable in the game, and I'd consider the reality to be so disappointing that Nintendo/The Pokemon Company actually fear they'll lose fence sitters.

These Mii costumes don't confirm a damn thing, as much as we like to believe it. Mallow and Geno costumes could easily show up thanks to the next Square character being Crono, or Sephiroth, or even the friggin guy from Vagrant story, whose name eludes me. Square has an impressive repertoire of characters and Streisand effecting yourself over some Mii costumes is a bold business decision that maybe even Nintendo won't go for. The same for Cacodemon - sure, having a random demon from Doom (who isn't Cyberdemon, oddly enough) as a costume to come with like, Vault Boy... that's weird, but possible. There's no hard confirmation on who from these costumes, just us hoping for Geno and Doom boys hoping for Doom boy.

This isn't really a spoiler but I feel like it's overly long. Just some of my deepest opinions on the Mii costume deal.
Imagine you're a troll. A very skilled troll who has the technology to put Mii hats into the game with no issue, jigglebone them, the whole nine yards. No one else in the modding community for this game can touch your expertise and you haven't and won't share your secrets with them. You want to get the biggest rise out of the Smash speculation community as possible, you want people to laud your work for days, maybe even weeks. Months. You want to be the next Grinch leak, you want to be able to come to Smashboards and see people talking about your leak a year after it happened, still not knowing who that masked man was.

So you choose to ride the coattails of a Mii costume leak that had Mallow on it, because Geno fans are the butt of every joke and are without a doubt the most hated character speculators in the business. Easy pickings... but for whatever reason you decide to go after the relatively unknown Doom fans, painstakingly recreating a Cacodemon as well while softening its design to the point that it looks positively E-Rated, and then copy the format of the famous Ken picture, but to go above and beyond, you make a video.

Why wouldn't you modelswap a character? The easiest mods for the game right now are very obviously move property alteration and just swapping out a model entirely, as proven by Vishera Games in an attempt to prove that Mii hats are totally doable. Obviously you're so ape**** bananas at this that you know how to get Mii hats to work, what's stopping you from getting convincing animations to play while the character attacks someone? It doesn't have to even be that long, and as long as you made totally brand new models, which you already did for the Mii hats, no one would be able to call you out on it. The payoff is much greater for what I'd argue to be less import work.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
That was confirmed fake. They guy who made it originally posted it on 4chan and people quickly discovered some inconsistencies.
CalmYoBitchAssDown.png

Firox

Smash Master
If I may be petty for a moment, Nintendo/The Pokemon Company deserve these leaks after this wholesale destruction of the Pokedex. I haven't been impressed enough with Pokemon to purchase a game after X and Y, but I feel for the people who have had a nearly lifelong commitment to a certain Pokemon team only to have the opportunity to play with that team stolen from them.
SERIOUSLY. Have you seen the final Pokedex for Sword and Shield?! It's a freaking dumpster fire. Literally every single one of my teams (I have a singles team, two doubles teams and three triples teams (RIP Triple battles, I knew thee well) all pro level) have lost at least one key member thanks to this crap. Ironically, they included TONS of normal-type throwaways that NOBODY uses but are A-OK with trashing a wide swath of competitive choices. I mean, how many effing sheep pokemon do we need?! Really?! Ugh. I'm so going to hold out until something like Pokemon Stadium 3 or something comes out where I can finally use my teams in their proper glory. (and hopefully with graphics to match. Freaking Battle Revolution on the Wii SMOKED SwSh when it comes to graphics.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Does anybody know if Sabi's recent tweet means new fighter? Maybe something from her discord? It sounds completely vague and could mean anything.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
SERIOUSLY. Have you seen the final Pokedex for Sword and Shield?! It's a freaking dumpster fire. Literally every single one of my teams (I have a singles team, two doubles teams and three triples teams (RIP Triple battles, I knew thee well) all pro level) have lost at least one key member thanks to this crap. Ironically, they included TONS of normal-type throwaways that NOBODY uses but are A-OK with trashing a wide swath of competitive choices. I mean, how many effing sheep pokemon do we need?! Really?! Ugh. I'm so going to hold out until something like Pokemon Stadium 3 or something comes out where I can finally use my teams in their proper glory. (and hopefully with graphics to match. Freaking Battle Revolution on the Wii SMOKED SwSh when it comes to graphics.)
Every single one of my favorite Pokemon besides the karp was axed from gen 8. I was considering just picking it up used in a month or 2 but now I'm probably just going to forget about it entirely.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't get why some people on Twitter thought the timer was edited - as in, not a mod, because the blue shell in a clip where someone had a frozen timer seemingly caused the blue shell to disappear, despite the fact that everything else behind the timer showed up just fine and the blue shell is very fast when it decides to crash down (so the timer either obscured it or it simply moved too fast to notice).

If the timer can be modded, and the leak is fake, there is no reason for the timer to not be modded as well, and if it's real, the Ken leak already proved developers and play testers can have a frozen timer. It being edited over everything doesn't make any sense.

edit: might be wrong about the blue shell thing, apparently PushDustIn retweeted it saying it's possible to change the timer in post-production. However, it's not like it does anything to the leak, since the timer can also be frozen with mods or the developer/play testing stuff. We knew this stuff already. Just because the video cuts before Ken reaches the timer, it doesn't mean it's fake. Besides, if it's a mod, why didn't he just mod the timer too instead of editing it in a video editor? And if done in a video editor, the blue shell could still show up if done right...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

(and hopefully with graphics to match. Freaking Battle Revolution on the Wii SMOKED SwSh when it comes to graphics.)
I have very little good to say about Sword and Shield, but in general, I think that one of Pokemon's biggest mistakes was leaving 2D behind. The models don't look great, aren't going to age anywhere near as gracefully, and knowing exactly how easy it is to provide quality animations for 3D models, yet they just don't... it's a testament to how Pokemon has become a lazy cashgrab rather than an attempt at making a quality product. They could have kept the series 2D, given us Odin Sphere/Hollow Knight style 2D graphics that would age like a fine wine and people would be thrilled, but they took the ugly, lazy way out and the first two traditional Pokemon games on a home console are going to go down in history as some of the absolute worst.

Every single one of my favorite Pokemon besides the karp was axed from gen 8. I was considering just picking it up used in a month or 2 but now I'm probably just going to forget about it entirely.
I didn't suffer as much of a loss to my favorites, but my wife sure did. I was thinking she might want me to buy it for her since she's a bit more of a die-hard when it comes to Pokemon... but it looks like I'll have $60 to spend on something else this Christmas. I think the real stinker is how very few of the new Pokemon even come close to making up for the ones removed in terms of design or even typing.

Geno chars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know, out of curiosity, do you have some past expirence with Doom? I get the feeling this crossover of Geno and Doomguy is very impactful for you.
No. I recognize DOOM as a very iconic and impactful series but I don't think I've ever played a DOOM game except for DOOM 64. For whatever reason, I like the pairing of these two characters in all these recent memes. It's almost like a Groot and Rocket Racoon relationship despite the fact that Geno's hardly like Rocket aside from fire power and I have no clue what Doom Marine's personality is supposed to be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom