• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
There is so much speculation about it, however, one thing to consider too is Sakurai may elaborate more on the next round of DLC, maybe some details on what to expect, like more Mii's, stages, etc. Or what not to epect from it.

Since this video is double the amount compared to the others, it seems like there will be more than just The fighter, demoing him, stage, new mode and mii's. There is going to be something else to talk about it, even if it is not revealing any more characters.

D

Deleted member

I just find it weird that they’ve said it’s gonna be 45 minutes of Terry, but it’s all being live-streamed instead of just uploaded like Hero’s.
If memory serves me correctly, they have called all of these presentations a live stream because they do stream the presentations "live"... They're just pre-recorded. Not that it would be impossible to do, but Sakurai does speak Japanese, and translating him on demand in an unscripted live session would be very awkward and end up having a lot of pauses, I imagine it'd be very similar to something like E3 where the translator has to take quick notes and give the gist of what he just said while Sakurai sits there waiting for the next time to speak up.

... Come to think of it, that could explain the length, but I seriously doubt that's what we're going to see.

Overall:

I can't imagine the content we know is coming taking 45 minutes, unless there's like a very extended demo of Sakurai playing as Terry. If that's so, then with all due respect, it is a bit of a waste of my time lol.
The only thing I care about is the Mii costumes. I can't overstate how unlikely it is that Geno shows up here, and definitely not Mallow, but if either one does...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I hope people don't try to shame people and do the whole finger wagging thing if people here say the direct ended up being disappointing for being 45 minutes and just all about Terry and the mii costumes. Like SNK mii costumes and Terry are cool, and I understand if they want to leave reveals for the future (TGA )but to have nothing but that for 45 minutes seems like just way too little content for what will literally be the longest Smash direct ever. I don't even expect them to reveal Geno at all until at least the TGAs even if he is the first post-FP character.
I’m 100% going to call people out on their own outrageous expectations for something Nintendo and Sakurai have gone out of their way to emphasize is just a Terry presentation and not a Nintendo Direct or even a general Smash presentation that has also been very clear in stating that it will not have reveals. It’s like going into a Spider-Man movie and being disappointed you didn’t get an Iron Man movie. The person over hyping themselves and setting up false expectations is completely to blame and not the movie which actually went out of its way to advertise itself specifically as not an Iron Man movie and told you up front there wouldn’t be Iron Man in it (Yes I understand Iron Man appeared in Homecoming and he was very clearly advertised in that is kind of exactly my point).

If you’re disappointed with your own unreasonable expectations, so be it, but voicing that disappointment is pointless and deserves to be called out.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm usually one who gets annoyed at "hype police", and I usually agree with people who say it's not their job to temper expectations. But Nintendo literally straight up said there will be no information on unrevealed fighters. As much as I wish it weren't true, you have to be in legit denial to go in expecting fighter reveals.
Yep. That one single tweet made me go from 'I GOT to watch this as soon as it starts!' to 'Meh, I'll check it out when I get time, maybe later in the day or even tomorrow.'

Nintendo basically sucked the thunder from Terry (where viewers would be his fans and people curious if someone else was coming). Although, considering Nov 2018's trainwreck, they had to pick their poison this time.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Also, just realized that we're absolutely going to get a new trailer tomorrow.

You remember how Joker's brief presentation started off with a new trailer for him? (Because his trailer at the VGA's was only an announcement trailer?)

Well, since Terry has only had an announcement trailer, we're going to get a new one with actual gameplay. I'm certain.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Also, just realized that we're absolutely going to get a new trailer tomorrow.

You remember how Joker's brief presentation started off with a new trailer for him? (Because his trailer at the VGA's was only an announcement trailer?)

Well, since Terry has only had an announcement trailer, we're going to get a new one with actual gameplay. I'm certain.
Yeah, dream on. I am not really expecting that to happen.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I won't be disappointed there isn't a character reveal since they flat out said no, but if it is indeed just like the other presentations but twice as long ... gotta admit, that's a bit of a disappointment. It does at least SEEM it needs to have something more than just the "usual" presentation wise because of the timing.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm usually one who gets annoyed at "hype police", and I usually agree with people who say it's not their job to temper expectations. But Nintendo literally straight up said there will be no information on unrevealed fighters. As much as I wish it weren't true, you have to be in legit denial to go in expecting fighter reveals.
Yeah agreed. There is hype and then there is just delusion. And I’m usually hyped about everything. They made a specific statement about no character reveal tomorrow which I really admire them for. This tells me they learned from past mistakes.

Even though we aren’t getting a character reveal tomorrow there is plenty to look out for. Mii costumes will be interesting as always, maybe squad strike moved to online (technically wouldnt be a new mode) and potentially even a December Smash Direct announcement if we are really lucky. I’m looking forward to it but certainly not hype for anything here

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I'm not expecting anything but mainly Terry + 6.0 + Mii Costumes tomorrow. I know the 45 minutes is odd, but I do believe Nintendo is telling the truth here. I don't think they want to set a precedent of them lying about contents of a direct. That would be a nightmare for them. Like I said, I get 45 minutes is odd, but we don't know how beefy 6.0 is, or how deep Sakurai wants to talk about SNK. KoF had a heavy influence on Smash, so maybe he wants to give a whole retrospective. Especially since nowadays, not many people know who Terry is. I do think we can maybe get a tease of when we can receive more DLC info, but I don't think we'll get something as huge as a character reveal. Could be wrong though. I wouldn't mind being wrong here, but this is where I'm at with it currently

MisterMike

Smash Champion
At the end of the video, I am curious if Terry's Mii Costume Show will be a mix of franchises like Banjo's OR keep it in house.

They got a mix of things, like Metal Slug for Mii Gunner and Samurai Showdown for Mii Swordsman.

I personally am leaning towards their own brands like Joker's and Hero's since Banjo's was different since he is from a competitor's studios. SNK is not, like Sega/Atlus and SquareEnix.

... Time will tell.
Well if PapaGeno's source is to be believed, we'll be getting:
- Geese Howard
- Haomaru (SamSho)
- Nakoruru
- "Classic SNK Costumes"
- Kyo
https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...cides-our-fate.446378/page-1601#post-23632139
Maybe Terry gets an echo fighter shown off? Someone who is.... Fatally cute?
Kirby?

OffBi

Smash Ace
Heh, i must be really lucky because I'm watching the direct in 14 o'clock

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo: we're not showing new characters during the livestream
Smash community: pshhh yeah right
Nintendo: *shows no new characters*
Smash community:
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Antho

Smash Apprentice
If memory serves me correctly, they have called all of these presentations a live stream because they do stream the presentations "live"... They're just pre-recorded. Not that it would be impossible to do, but Sakurai does speak Japanese, and translating him on demand in an unscripted live session would be very awkward and end up having a lot of pauses.
Actually, when the Hero presentation was first tweeted out, they called it a "Video Presentation." https://twitter.com/nintendovs/status/1155644230296981505
It could just be uploaded like the Hero one, but I think it'll be livestreamed kind of like the older smash directs, with segments and stuff like that. Not necessarily all in one take.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe Terry gets an echo fighter shown off? Someone who is.... Fatally cute?
You know, I don't mind this. Sure, it's mainly because it would help me in my support of another character that would be an echo of a DLC character, but that is all I need.

Not gonna happen though, unless there is some sort of loophole.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Actually, when the Hero presentation was first tweeted out, they called it a "Video Presentation." https://twitter.com/nintendovs/status/1155644230296981505
It could just be uploaded like the Hero one, but I think it'll be livestreamed kind of like the older smash directs, with segments and stuff like that. Not necessarily all in one take.
Ah, I see...

Welp, mystery solved, its 45 minutes because everything Sakurai says is going to have to be said again. A 20 minute presentation doubled in length.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Wish we had a leak recap post or something. Now there's some Mii Costume leak with Geese and Haohmaru?? What??
There are 3 costume leaks now. If you see Sora or Metal Slug characters Geno is also a costume.
If you only see Geese, Hollow Knight, and a couple more Geno and Frogger are in.
Geese is mentioned in all 3 leaks I believe.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I’m 100% going to call people out on their own outrageous expectations for something Nintendo and Sakurai have gone out of their way to emphasize is just a Terry presentation and not a Nintendo Direct or even a general Smash presentation that has also been very clear in stating that it will not have reveals. It’s like going into a Spider-Man movie and being disappointed you didn’t get an Iron Man movie. The person over hyping themselves and setting up false expectations is completely to blame and not the movie which actually went out of its way to advertise itself specifically as not an Iron Man movie and told you up front there wouldn’t be Iron Man in it (Yes I understand Iron Man appeared in Homecoming and he was very clearly advertised in that is kind of exactly my point).

If you’re disappointed with your own unreasonable expectations, so be it, but voicing that disappointment is pointless and deserves to be called out.
Lmao you're putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about a reveal necessarily needing to be in the footage. I'm just saying 45 minutes purely spent on Terry and his mii costumes is a lot and feels like the sort of thing you could do in 20. If someone thinks something is not that great they should be able to express it. I wasn't aware the only acceptable opinions on this thread were ones that were 100 percent positive. I thought people were against this thread being an echochamber?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There are 3 costume leaks now. If you see Sora or Metal Slug characters Geno is also a costume.
If you only see Geese, Hollow Knight, and a couple more Geno and Frogger are in.
Geese is mentioned in all 3 leaks I believe.
OHH so it's just those bull**** 4chan leaks. Thought they were credible stuff like the Rocket Grunt leak.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Lmao you're putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about a reveal. I'm just saying 45 minutes purely spent on Terry and his mii costumes is a lot and feels like the sort of thing you could do in 20. If someone thinks something is not that great they should be able to express it. I wasn't aware the only acceptable opinions on this thread were ones that were 100 percent positive. I thought people were against this thread being an echochamber?
Though I am doubtful for a new character, I agree. Even a fighter's stick and tag team shouldn't be enough to cover 45 minutes.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Some people said Sakurai said he kinda lost focus while talking about stuff; that and the image showing a shot of him, it seems like it could just be pre-recorded but streamed instead of simply being uploaded for some reason.

But I don't know.

Last edited:

grizby2

Smash Lord
i'll believe what they're saying when they say there won't be any character reveals.

HOWERVER..
Just because they aren't revealing any characters doesn't mean they can't HINT at any either. :drohmy:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I won't be disappointed there isn't a character reveal since they flat out said no, but if it is indeed just like the other presentations but twice as long ... gotta admit, that's a bit of a disappointment. It does at least SEEM it needs to have something more than just the "usual" presentation wise because of the timing.
I think most will chalk this up to being 'Wasted Opportunity.' Like your favorite show which ended with several unanswered questions and then they announced that there will be a new half season, and then they announce that those cliffhangers will not be addressed. Sucks the hype right out of that.

The bulk of fans look to Smash for characters. THAT'S the big news each time. So this is why that tweet bummed people out (which is ironic as it's a character showcase, but one we know). Maybe the other content will be mind blowing, but as we don't know what it could be, if anything, it's hard to feel hype for it.

Also, wouldn't that warning of no information on unrevealed characters eliminate the Terry Tag Team or Echo theory? If he was bundled with other FF characters a la Pokemon Trainer, that would be showing new information on a character we didn't know, which contradicts Nintendo's tweet. If we follow the tweet to the letter, then characterwise tomorrow's presentation is Terry and ONLY Terry.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
In Terry's losing animation, he drinks shots because he takes losses hard. I'll be disappointed if he isn't one of the few characters who doesn't clap.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In Terry's losing animation, he drinks shots because he takes losses hard. I'll be disappointed if he isn't one of the few characters who doesn't clap.
If he does that, he should repeat doing that over and over, pulling out another drink and tossing it like you said.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Vector is right the tag team thing is kinda dead now. If they didn't hold back on some costume alts for hero no way are they holding off on 2 entire characters for terry.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I imagine Terry will have at least one costume. It would probably be his Garou look, but maybe they will go even further and put in female Terry. Hero got four alts and Joker got two, so I think at least one costume is likely.

Last edited:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I prefer Frogger's.... modern?.. well, most recent design.
The old one is just kind of a frog. The "new" design has much more character.
My problem is that his new design makes him look like a Fisher Price mascot.

Vishera's discord chat seemed confident enough in his explicit confirmation that he had found the fakers, and I don't believe he's a guy who'd just make stuff up. I'd love to be surprised, but that and Sabi's source are definitely not good signs at all.
I'm not saying Vishera is definitely lying or anything, but why hasn't he provided names? Why haven't the people come forward?

I could just as easily say "I know for a fact the leak is fake. I know exactly who made it and how." and my claim would be no less legitimate than Vish's at this point.

Technically they also announced plant in that direct sooooooo
Also the overview of spirits and online.
... that's the entire point. Everyone said "40 minutes is too long for just two characters!" as justification that we'd be getting more, failing to consider the possibility of Sakurai going over **** like BRIGHTNESS SETTINGS to pad the length. You guys listing additional things that were in that November direct are just further proving that tomorrow COULD and likely WILL show nothing substantial we aren't expecting beyond possibly a new mode.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
... that's the entire point. Everyone said "40 minutes is too long for just two characters!" as justification that we'd be getting more, failing to consider the possibility of Sakurai going over **** like BRIGHTNESS SETTINGS to pad the length. You guys listing additional things that were in that November direct are just further proving that tomorrow COULD and likely WILL show nothing substantial we aren't expecting beyond possibly a new mode.
This is kinda a different case from the 2018 Direct, keyword, kinda, but I see what you mean, nonetheless. They did show other things in the Direct, some things people did not expect. That said, I wonder what Sakurai will talk about if there IS anything other than Terry but not more characters?

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I really just want it over at this point. If it really is just terry for 45 minutes I’ll only watch about five or so of it just to see his moveset, if even that.

Probably just gonna skip it.

Firox

Smash Master
Which character's don't clap? Doesn't even Bowser and Ganondorf clap?

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Intriguing. Some days me and other people were saying to be careful and not hype yourself "just in case" and people were like: "LEAVE US ALONE WITH OUR HYPE!"

And now that Nintendo came out and said to know that they're not going to show much else of anything and NOW people are saying to hype responsibly.

Hmm.

The duality of people.

Anyway, if there's is something we should worry about are the Mii Costumes. Either they're shown, are proven that are real, and imply that our Heaven and Hell boys are coming OR they're shown off but ALONGSIDE Geno and Doomguy/Doom Slayer as Mii Costumes too.

In other words, we may be in for another massacre with Mii Costumes. Those two, along with the rumored Heihachi, Geese, Lloyd, etc.

Just something to think about, just in case...

:bowser:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom