• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
At the very least, I'm expecting to see Mallow show up in a victory screen or taunt if Geno gets in. I want to see him with upgraded graphics as well

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
If the smash 4 Geno costumes keeps eluding us we shall get Geno. The idea of him being in the game is the last true stop for the hype train. I want Geno and Crono but I can’t see us getting 4 square einix characters sadly

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Wow, SmashFAQs is obsessed with Geno...in the bad way. You check out a thread that has absolutely zero to do with Geno and stumble across a post hating him or bringing him up to mock. Ironically, the haters talk about him more than the fans....while complaining how much he is brought up. They annoy themselves.

Its really the same vibe as anti-Ridley during Smash 4.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Wow, SmashFAQs is obsessed with Geno...in the bad way. You check out a thread that has absolutely zero to do with Geno and stumble across a post hating him or bringing him up to mock. Ironically, the haters talk about him more than the fans....while complaining how much he is brought up. They annoy themselves.

but seriously, it's hilarious how far into their heads he's gotten.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

You'll be doing yourself a favor by staying away from that site, it's pretty damn toxic

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Salutations once again Genobros! Yet again here to say that Geno's coming (imo) and that Sakurai's words in his acceptance speech at Japan's Game Awards feels pretty much like THE confirmation. Sure, it's not explicitly confirmed but c'mon, no Geno Mii costume yet; Nintendo TEASING Super Mario RPG in a random official tweet sometime before Ultimate's release; two SMRPG tracks being taken down on YouTube; the SNES NSO library with NO SMRPG included (yet)?

opens a can of Kero Kero Cola
takes a sip

Ahhhh!
He's in. :shades:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That being said, I like the both of them equally and I hope that, if/when Geno does get announced for DLC, that he and Mallow will snag a tag-team role in an upcoming Mario Kart as well. That would be ****ing fire.
I've got an idea for a Geno and Mallow tag team for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Geno is the one you control and Mallow piggy back rides on Geno like Kazooie. Geno could throw out one of his attacks with button presses but if you hold the button down, Mallow can power them up using his lightning spells.

An idea I have for their Up special is that Geno and Mallow launch themselves up into the air using the Geno cannon and Mallow turns into a cloud like parachute for Geno to safely fall down.

I haven't thought of everything but that's what i thought of on the top of my head since you mentioned a Geno and Mallow tag team.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yet again here to say that Geno's coming (imo) and that Sakurai's words in his acceptance speech at Japan's Game Awards feels pretty much like THE confirmation. Sure, it's not explicitly confirmed but c'mon,
I don't really see how the speech at the Game Awards means much apart from the fact that Sakurai wants to put his all into Ultimate. It's something he's gone on record to state multiple times before, and because it was his last mission from Iwata, it's no wonder why. Is it heartfelt? Yeah. Does it explain a lot about the efforts put into Ultimate? Yes. Is it any better or worse for Geno's chances? Not really.

Not trying to be a downer here, though. After all, Geno's chances are very bright right now! This just ain't it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So with Banjo & Kazooie coming out before the Fall deadline and Sakurai and the development team being way ahead of schedule, I'm highly expecting a Smash Direct when Terry drops in November. I could see them showning off Terry's gameplay mechanics, stage, Mii costumes, and fighter #5 as well as the first DLC character outside of the Season Pass. Who would be better to close off the decade with Smash reveals than Geno am I right?

They also really hate Shantae too calling her fans obsessed hentai lovers.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Have faith in your dreams and someday
Your rainbow will come smiling through
No matter how your heart is grieving
If you keep on believing
The dream that you wish will come true

Farfetch'd's dreams are coming true. So can yours
Y'know, as big as a critic as I've been with regards to Sword and Shield, I can't deny that some of these Pokemon designs have been on-****ing-point, and a Farfetch'd evolution after all this time is going to be the dopest ****. I remember I used to have a Farfetch'd in Soul Silver that I used for flying around and False Swiping pokes. I think I may actually use one on my adventure this game...

Make sure to screencap the best posts for later for if/when Geno gets in, we'll need as many of these posts as possible for any potential image macros and compilation videos. :ultpacman:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Y'know, as big as a critic as I've been with regards to Sword and Shield, I can't deny that some of these Pokemon designs have been on-****ing-point, and a Farfetch'd evolution after all this time is going to be the dopest ****. I remember I used to have a Farfetch'd in Soul Silver that I used for flying around and False Swiping pokes. I think I may actually use one on my adventure this game...
Even if this happens, I'm still disillusioned with Pokemon Sw/Sh and there is literally no one thing that can save this game in my eyes. In my eyes, the game NEEDS to do bad enough that it sends a message and either GameFreak actually starts trying with Pokemon again or someone who values the main series more gets to take over. Just about any company who has done a side-game for Pokemon will do (Battle Revolution, Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Conquest, XD: Gale of Darkness).

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think the new Pokémon games look pretty good; the only issue imo is the whole “Dexit” thing, but I usually tend to form a new team anyway so it doesn’t really affect me much, though it would suck if some ‘mons I personally like aren’t in though some have already been confirmed to be in.

It is odd for a series with the slogan “Gotta catch ‘em all!”, though, and I understand where others are coming from. There may have been an N64 tree (which I believe one of the game’s artists or whatever or a Serebii guy confirmed to be fixed), and weird Wingulls, but that stuff is just “meh” to me.

For some reason I feel like naming a Farfetch’d “Geno.” Maybe it’s the ducks. Could work for a Staryu, too, though, or one of those meteor Pokémon, or Lunatone...

Last edited:

max_0888

Smash Cadet
Major props for that Celes avatar, by the way. Most people don't remember or talk about Final Fantasy 6 anymore, and as a dinosaur who was around when it came out, that makes me sad.

People forget that the plot of SMRPG had a lot more to do with Mallow than it did with Geno. Sure, Geno was deeply tied to the circumstances that resulted in the problem the heroes had to solve in the first place being from the Star Road and all, but most of the story actually revolved around Mallow's character development and growth as a person. It always irritated me how the plot chastised Mallow for crying, and how his growth revolved around him expressing his emotions less, a lesson that's thankfully deeply frowned upon in recent years, but a lot of the actual story really was about him. Most everything from the beginning of the story up to Nimbus Land centered around him in some meaningful way.

I think people became more attached to Geno because not only is he the most powerful character in the game, but because so much of him isn't explained he's this enigmatic figure for which people fill in the blanks on their own, and so they get attached to their idea of him rather than the actual character. It's why there are different schools of thought about him going down even to how his voice actor should sound in Smash, whereas everybody has a united, clear idea of how Mallow is/sounds/should be portrayed.

That being said, I like the both of them equally and I hope that, if/when Geno does get announced for DLC, that he and Mallow will snag a tag-team role in an upcoming Mario Kart as well. That would be ****ing fire.
Thanks! FF6 needs a remake of some sort. To make Celes and Terra and the whole gang relevant again today. Best rpg ever imo.

As for Geno and Mallow, winning this long battle of bringing them Back would be so satisfying. It is more than just having Geno in the game for me, it is aknowledging my fave Mario game as part of Nintendo’s history. Hopefully, Nintendo will understand the power of nostalgia. The positive impact of King k. Roll and Banjo really gives me hope for Geno and Mallow. After that, hopefully they will bring K Rool, Geno and Mallow in other Mario games like Mario Kart.

Also, I never understood why they excluded Dixie Kong from Mario Kart.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I think the new Pokémon games look pretty good; the only issue imo is the whole “Dexit” thing, but I usually tend to form a new team anyway so it doesn’t really affect me much, though it would suck if some ‘mons I personally like aren’t in though some have already been confirmed to be in.

It is odd for a series with the slogan “Gotta catch ‘em all!”, though, and I understand where others are coming from. There may have been an N64 tree (which I believe one of the game’s artists or whatever or a Serebii guy confirmed to be fixed), and weird Wingulls, but that stuff is just “meh” to me.

For some reason I feel like naming a Farfetch’d “Geno.” Maybe it’s the ducks. Could work for a Staryu, too, though, or one of those meteor Pokémon, or Lunatone...
Not to sound rude, but low textures and graphics probably WOULD be meh to you because of your love for MineCraft.

Pokemon is not MineCraft however, and Pokemon's texture issues and lack of graphical impact aren't due to artistic design choice: it's due to corporate greed.

Also Dexit isn't an issue to me either. I don't recall ever porting over my Pokemon and I'm all about the new adventure and Pokemon each new region brings. Keep in mind this: when Sw/Sh had it's first two reveals, I was still on board with the whole thing. I thought 'Wow, this is the best Pokemon has ever looked! This is amazing for Pokemon!' Then I heard about Dexit, and I thought that was a horrible idea, but it wasn't going to not get the game due to that. Then I saw the outrage and, frankly, that at first made me more likely TO buy it because everything is all about outrage and cancel culture.

But then, Masuda made that statement about how not only will the Pokemon not be transportable, but that many of the Pokemon won't be in the game at all...and their reasoning was bettering animations and balance. So I dug deeper, and THAT is what ruined it for me. I learned all about GameFreak's history of not truly trying anything new and removing features just to bring them back to get you to by the next title. I learned about how GameFreak uses a smaller budget than pretty much any other AAA game despite Pokemon's status. I learned about how GameFreak considering their non-Pokemon titles more important and therefore has the smaller amount of their already small workforce focused on Pokemon games, and how even then they can be working on more than one Pokemon title at the same time or within very small windows of one another.

Essentially, once I dived past the crappy tree textures and the lifeless Pokemon animations and the unused assets, I learned that GameFreak refuses to evolve as a studio when it comes to Pokemon and, worse than that they do not care. Regardless of why GameFreak and their relationship with Pokemon is as broken as it is, it needs to change.

Going back to my quote 'This is amazing for Pokemon', it still rings true: Sw/Sh are the best Pokemon has ever been...but they pale in comparison to what they COULD have been and to every other RPG/JRPG on the market. GameFreak needs to step up, or step out.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

My issue with the whole dexit thing is that they've included every single pokemon for 20+ years with progressively better hardware and they're just now starting to think that cutting pokemon is a good idea. It doesn't matter if their catchphrase isn't "Gotta catch em all", it sure felt like it was the point for 20 years with the ability to transfer your Pokemon since Gen 4. They haven't even given us a good reason as to why they can't put all the Pokemon in when the 3DS was capable of having over 800 pokemon in one single cartridge and the reasons they've given us are utter PR nonsense. Now on top of worrying about what cool and useful features they're going to remove from the game, now everyone has to worry about what of their favourite Pokemon is going to be cut.

The worst part about it is that they've blatantly lied to us by promising "higher quality animations" when we still see NPCs walk, stop and then turn to get to places and still see the same battle and amie animations from the 3DS generation games. Maybe the move animations are beefed up but the game itself just doesn't seem that more impressive than Pokemon Sun and Moon.

I was initially going to drone buy Sword and Shield but after finding out about Dexit, seeing what the game offered in exchange and knowing that the series is going to continue in this direction that I don't like, I give up on the series... unless the next game they make includes all Pokemon, then I'll start drone buying them again.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
There is no logic to their mario Kart rosters. Popular characters get addes then removed or ignored outright. Meanwhile, babies, metal colors and incredibly minor NPCs get added.

MK would be a perfect way to get characters back on the radar, maybe help garner fan interest, but no, here's emerald alumimum baby wiggler instead.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
There is no logic to their mario Kart rosters. Popular characters get addes then removed or ignored outright. Meanwhile, babies, metal colors and incredibly minor NPCs get added.

MK would be a perfect way to get characters back on the radar, maybe help garner fan interest, but no, here's emerald alumimum baby wiggler instead.
Yeah, there is a lot wrong with this.

Corundum baby Dr. Toad would be superior to emerald aluminium baby Wiggler. :drshrug:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Not to sound rude, but low textures and graphics probably WOULD be meh to you because of your love for MineCraft.

Pokemon is not MineCraft however, and Pokemon's texture issues and lack of graphical impact aren't due to artistic design choice: it's due to corporate greed.

Also Dexit isn't an issue to me either. I don't recall ever porting over my Pokemon and I'm all about the new adventure and Pokemon each new region brings. Keep in mind this: when Sw/Sh had it's first two reveals, I was still on board with the whole thing. I thought 'Wow, this is the best Pokemon has ever looked! This is amazing for Pokemon!' Then I heard about Dexit, and I thought that was a horrible idea, but it wasn't going to not get the game due to that. Then I saw the outrage and, frankly, that at first made me more likely TO buy it because everything is all about outrage and cancel culture.

But then, Masuda made that statement about how not only will the Pokemon not be transportable, but that many of the Pokemon won't be in the game at all...and their reasoning was bettering animations and balance. So I dug deeper, and THAT is what ruined it for me. I learned all about GameFreak's history of not truly trying anything new and removing features just to bring them back to get you to by the next title. I learned about how GameFreak uses a smaller budget than pretty much any other AAA game despite Pokemon's status. I learned about how GameFreak considering their non-Pokemon titles more important and therefore has the smaller amount of their already small workforce focused on Pokemon games, and how even then they can be working on more than one Pokemon title at the same time or within very small windows of one another.

Essentially, once I dived past the crappy tree textures and the lifeless Pokemon animations and the unused assets, I learned that GameFreak refuses to evolve as a studio when it comes to Pokemon and, worse than that they do not care. Regardless of why GameFreak and their relationship with Pokemon is as broken as it is, it needs to change.

Going back to my quote 'This is amazing for Pokemon', it still rings true: Sw/Sh are the best Pokemon has ever been...but they pale in comparison to what they COULD have been and to every other RPG/JRPG on the market. GameFreak needs to step up, or step out.
I'm actually used to lower-end graphics due to loving old N64 games, playing some even older titles, and handheld games I guess, - including before Minecraft was a thing - so I've never particularly cared for graphics, just the game (I guess because I think even some lower-resolution textures look nice; i.e. SM64 and the Banjo-Kazooie games have some nice textures that tend to give off some sort of good or magical feeling, and I also like Minecraft's textures). I guess that's just how I thought while growing up. Admittedly, though, I do like how some higher-end graphics look, so I like to sometimes use shaders in Minecraft and inconsistent quality in textures does make things look off. Pokémon Sword & Shield's textures look good to me, though, and certainly aren't like an N64 game or even a Gamecube game, at least from what I can tell.

GameFreak does seem to have some problems, but at least some recent stuff has made it seem they aren't actually prioritizing Little Town Hero. Apparently the whole game takes place within the same town and stuff, so idk. Sword & Shield actually do seem to have some nice animations, but yeah the Wingull and stuff is weird, though Wingull never really moved much outside of slightly flapping its wings and tilting. They could certainly make things feel more alive, though; that'd be nice.

My issue with the whole dexit thing is that they've included every single pokemon for 20+ years with progressively better hardware and they're just now starting to think that cutting pokemon is a good idea. It doesn't matter if their catchphrase isn't "Gotta catch em all", it sure felt like it was the point for 20 years with the ability to transfer your Pokemon since Gen 4. They haven't even given us a good reason as to why they can't put all the Pokemon in when the 3DS was capable of having over 800 pokemon in one single cartridge and the reasons they've given us are utter PR nonsense. Now on top of worrying about what cool and useful features they're going to remove from the game, now everyone has to worry about what of their favourite Pokemon is going to be cut.

The worst part about it is that they've blatantly lied to us by promising "higher quality animations" when we still see NPCs walk, stop and then turn to get to places and still see the same battle and amie animations from the 3DS generation games. Maybe the move animations are beefed up but the game itself just doesn't seem that more impressive than Pokemon Sun and Moon.

I was initially going to drone buy Sword and Shield but after finding out about Dexit, seeing what the game offered in exchange and knowing that the series is going to continue in this direction that I don't like, I give up on the series... unless the next game they make includes all Pokemon, then I'll start drone buying them again.
That's true tbh.

Some animations do seem to be higher quality, but they still have stuff like the small hops for Double Kick, the way NPCs walk as you mentioned, and whatever else. And you would expect them to be able to include some more 'mons in the Switch when they could fit them all into the 3DS, yeah.

Dexit just doesn't bother me much personally, but I do find the situation to be dumb and it would be nice to have all 'mons, so I guess it does bug me somewhat. As for the animations and stuff, I guess I just considered that kind of stuff to be little things, so I never particularly cared as long as they were nice enough imo. It would certainly be nice if they were willing to take a higher budget and make everything more lively, and do what some of the console spinoffs did.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That's true tbh.

Some animations do seem to be higher quality, but they still have stuff like the small hops for Double Kick, the way NPCs walk as you mentioned, and whatever else. And you would expect them to be able to include some more 'mons in the Switch when they could fit them all into the 3DS, yeah.

Dexit just doesn't bother me much personally, but I do find the situation to be dumb and it would be nice to have all 'mons, so I guess it does bug me somewhat. As for the animations and stuff, I guess I just considered that kind of stuff to be little things, so I never particularly cared as long as they were nice enough imo. It would certainly be nice if they were willing to take a higher budget and make everything more lively, and do what some of the console spinoffs did.
It's the fact they used the excuse of higher quality animations as the reason why they removed Pokemon outside of the Galar dex to be the most offensive.

I would have glanced over every issue people brought up with Sword and Shield if they just included every single Pokemon in the game. Even if they did have trouble getting every Pokemon in the game on time, they could have just included more within updates but they refuse to do even that which is mind boggling to me and they won't even give us a reason why that's not possible.

They could use every restriction they have in the book from disallowing dynamaxing to making them post game exclusive but whatever. They're not going to change it and what they've said in that cacophony of PR nonsense says it all.

QQS

Smash Lord
Do we have a tentative Direct in November & The Game Awards in December, am I right?
Also, what are your guessings? Will they reveal only Terry’s gameplay on November or Terry + Next Bonus Character? Can we expect something also at the GA or they only reveal Smash-Info in the Directs? Have they previously announced characters at the Game Awards?

Cant wait for that Direct, it will be crucial for Geno maybe. I think he is already in, but I hope that we can see his reveal in November; cause “GENO FOLLOWS THE ROUTE!”

D

Deleted member

Do we have a tentative Direct in November & The Game Awards in December, am I right?
Also, what are your guessings? Will they reveal only Terry’s gameplay on November or Terry + Next Bonus Character? Can we expect something also at the GA or they only reveal Smash-Info in the Directs? Have they previously announced characters at the Game Awards?

Cant wait for that Direct, it will be crucial for Geno maybe. I think he is already in, but I hope that we can see his reveal in November; cause “GENO FOLLOWS THE ROUTE!”
I think they would reveal fighter 5 at the Game awards or a normal direct then bonus characters. I also think Geno would be revealed at a Smash direct.

Last edited by a moderator:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Major props for that Celes avatar, by the way. Most people don't remember or talk about Final Fantasy 6 anymore, and as a dinosaur who was around when it came out, that makes me sad.

People forget that the plot of SMRPG had a lot more to do with Mallow than it did with Geno. Sure, Geno was deeply tied to the circumstances that resulted in the problem the heroes had to solve in the first place being from the Star Road and all, but most of the story actually revolved around Mallow's character development and growth as a person. It always irritated me how the plot chastised Mallow for crying, and how his growth revolved around him expressing his emotions less, a lesson that's thankfully deeply frowned upon in recent years, but a lot of the actual story really was about him. Most everything from the beginning of the story up to Nimbus Land centered around him in some meaningful way.

I think people became more attached to Geno because not only is he the most powerful character in the game, but because so much of him isn't explained he's this enigmatic figure for which people fill in the blanks on their own, and so they get attached to their idea of him rather than the actual character. It's why there are different schools of thought about him going down even to how his voice actor should sound in Smash, whereas everybody has a united, clear idea of how Mallow is/sounds/should be portrayed.

In my opinion, 6 is the best one of the nonMMO ones. Not my favorite, but I think by far the best.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Do yourself a favor and don´t go to that site (or at least the Smash Bros part of it). You will have a better day if you don´t

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I can't express how much I envy your descision, because I honestly wish I could do the same. I wish I could've gone back in time to when I first got into Pokemon and told my younger self to not even bother trying to catch them all, not to get too attached to any of them, and not to go hunting for rare ones and shinies, because said investment will eventually lead to you being forced into paying for subpar games and two digital storage services just to keep what you've got, just to make your hours of investment feel worth it.
... oh well, at least I could skip Let's Go.
Have they previously announced characters at the Game Awards?
:ultjoker:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
The next time I hear anyone here act like Square Enix is this evil company that just wants money, I'm going to post Max's most recent video on the TGS footage that shows off Ifrit in FF7R. Then I will follow it up with his video where he was told BY THE DEVS that they used HIS REACTION VIDEO as a means of IMPROVING MORALE IN THE WORKPLACE!

Square Enix is not evil, They just have a landslide of iconic characters and franchises and are constantly in need of money due to how they handle development (for better or worse) and if those things get tarnished they have nothing.

You would be overprotective of your assets too.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The next time I hear anyone here act like Square Enix is this evil company that just wants money, I'm going to post Max's most recent video on the TGS footage that shows off Ifrit in FF7R. Then I will follow it up with his video where he was told BY THE DEVS that they used HIS REACTION VIDEO as a means of IMPROVING MORALE IN THE WORKPLACE!

Square Enix is not evil, They just have a landslide of iconic characters and franchises and are constantly in need of money due to how they handle development (for better or worse) and if those things get tarnished they have nothing.

You would be overprotective of your assets too.
That is the most adorable thing in the world. Just saying, Square, but cute star boys are a great way to boost fan-appeasing morale, too... ;)

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
It probably sounds like a weird thing to get hung up on, and I'm not usually a stickler for details like this-- after all, the end result is always going to be "fighters chosen by Nintendo and approved by Sakurai." But I think the narrative of "he was given this potentially huge list of characters and is just picking the ones he wants" could be greatly overestimating the amount of creative freedom he has. Using his perceived biases when appraising a character's chances seems like a mistake.
Is it really? Dude's a massive DQ fan, and we get a DQ character. Talks about how much he loved Persona 5 (a game STILL not on Nintendo systems), and we get Joker. Explains how much KoF meant for him during the formative days before Smash, and suddenly a character from a series (while admittedly iconic) that has never been extremely relevant to Nintendo and certainly isn't a huge promotional move randomly gets announced?

I think most people are UNDERSELLING his influence on the DLC.

(I mean, the Sony/Disney deal is just a prime example on that they can be stubborn)
I understand why certain details about the deal can be misconstrued (Sony has a noted history of intentionally misleading/straight-up lying to the public about the particulars regarding their use of Spider-Man and the nature of their deal with Marvel), but painting Disney as some unreasonable party in the Spidey fallout is just not accurate.

Sony wanted TEN BILLION DOLLARS for the Spidey film rights. For context, that is more than what Disney paid for Marvel and Lucasfilm COMBINED. It would take over a DECADE for them to recoup the money they'd spend on those rights, assuming everything went perfect.

When Disney proposed a 25% deal that would allow the other Sony films to be part of the MCU (so Venom, Morbius, etc. would all be official MCU projects and produced by Kevin Feige, the Marvel Studios head who developed Homecoming and FFH for Sony), Sony didn't respond for MONTHS before going public with the deal's collapse. Then they tried to spin the story as an amicable split due to Kevin Feige not having enough time to work on Spidet due to the Phase 4 MCU slate, which was later confirmed to be complete, fabricated bull.

This is all to say that the image Disney has recently garnered (as some kind of monstrous entity to negotiate with) has been purposely cultivated by Sony to avoid the inevitable public backlash from their backing out of the deal. It can't be used as evidence for Geno's likeliness over Sora.

Shame, since if they hadn't spurned Square, the N64 disc drive might have been a much bigger success and we wouldn't have seen the bleak Gamecube Era that we ended up getting.
I know HISTORICALLY speaking, the GCN era is seen as a stumbling point for Nintendo, but I feel like that was the best exclusive lineup of the generation. Seriously, think back on that lineup!

Sakurai tends to focus on characters with legacy more, so 2B is less likely.
I mean, yes, but there are plenty of examples in Smash of Sakurai going "yeah but this dude would be fun!" despite being newer. Honestly, 2B is in a VERY similar position to Joker (newer protagonist from a JRPG with widespread acclaim that garnered considerable Western popularity and was developed by a company on good terms with Nintendo)

Persona just has the edge of being one of Sakurai's pet passions.

You are making the terrible mistake of assuming Sakurai is picking chars.
He has made clear that he is not.
It's Nintendo themselves.
Nintendo gives options, Sakurai picks from the options.

Or do you guys really think that 3 of the DLC picks from Nintendo COINCIDENTALLY aligned with Sakurai's passions while ALSO barely promoting Nintendo as a company/brand?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

If any amount of fan demand ever got any characters into Mario Kart like with Smash, I would probably be more invested in Mario Kart's roster. But honestly, no game's roster will ever have as much investment in it as Smash's.

For Mario Kart I would love to see the X-Nauts, the 8-Bits (Technically Shy Guy and Birdo are already in there), Geno, Mallow, the Kongs, Kremlings, K. Rool, and the Warioware cast. There are so many different and unique characters in the Mario/DKC/Wario universe they ain't using in the spin offs that it's a crime.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

Have faith in your dreams and someday
Your rainbow will come smiling through
No matter how your heart is grieving
If you keep on believing
The dream that you wish will come true

Farfetch'd's dreams are coming true. So can yours
If Farfetch’d gets an evolution or even a Galarian form with a decent moveset, I’ll be using one on my SW/SH team, since one of my team mainstays (Dragonite), is a no show unfortunately; Having a good Farfetch’d on the team won’t be so bad. :grin:

Even though sites like that are mentioning Geno, it’s some publicity, even though it’s bad. The more the speak about it, the more the character and name gets out there, so there’s a plus side. Geno is basically living rent-free within their heads. :p

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Thought I'd share the overall Famitsu column translation that SourceGaming put up: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/09/11/sakurai-talks-more-about-smash-ultimate-dlc-development/

It's interesting that it goes slightly more in detail about the selection process and re-emphasizing that Nintendo is the one selecting DLC and that he has veto power in the event that he can't/won't realize their request. I tend to take Sakurai at face value whenever he brings up this sort of stuff, so yeah, it does seem like Nintendo has the power here... That said, I also think Nintendo's done a pretty good job of reevaluating their place in the market over the past few years and that has come with a lot of fan recognition in lots of areas, so I'm sure Nintendo's decently aware of a lot of bigger requests and ideas. Not to mention, I also suspect that Nintendo knows what kind of stuff Sakurai likes and is interested in (which is almost everything it seems lol), so it's probably not too hard for them to come up with options that also happen to be Sakurai's favorite and also bring in new and interesting characters. Generally speaking, I would expect Geno to be on their radar at the very least.

Similarly, Sakurai's comments really lead me to believe that support for Ultimate is not ending any time soon. He exclusively talks about how much easier the DLC is to develop, how he has always wanted to have this sort of project where he could add to it, how he can't repeat this accomplishment even if he tries, and how much he just enjoys working on Smash and with all these franchises. There's just an enthusiasm and support from him that I think this may legitimately be Nintendo's first real foray into Games as a Service so to speak and we're going to be seeing DLC for at least another couple of years. Which is only a good thing for us fans.

I do think this article does emphasize that we're staying primarily focused on third parties though. There's just way too much smoke with regards to words like "collaboration, game worlds, and franchises" in addition to it lining up with the current Fighter's Pass' modus operandi and Nintendo's mission statement in financial presentations regarding Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Thought I'd share the overall Famitsu column translation that SourceGaming put up: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/09/11/sakurai-talks-more-about-smash-ultimate-dlc-development/

It's interesting that it goes slightly more in detail about the selection process and re-emphasizing that Nintendo is the one selecting DLC and that he has veto power in the event that he can't/won't realize their request. I tend to take Sakurai at face value whenever he brings up this sort of stuff, so yeah, it does seem like Nintendo has the power here... That said, I also think Nintendo's done a pretty good job of reevaluating their place in the market over the past few years and that has come with a lot of fan recognition in lots of areas, so I'm sure Nintendo's decently aware of a lot of bigger requests and ideas. Not to mention, I also suspect that Nintendo knows what kind of stuff Sakurai likes and is interested in (which is almost everything it seems lol), so it's probably not too hard for them to come up with options that also happen to be Sakurai's favorite and also bring in new and interesting characters. Generally speaking, I would expect Geno to be on their radar at the very least.

Similarly, Sakurai's comments really lead me to believe that support for Ultimate is not ending any time soon. He exclusively talks about how much easier the DLC is to develop, how he has always wanted to have this sort of project where he could add to it, how he can't repeat this accomplishment even if he tries, and how much he just enjoys working on Smash and with all these franchises. There's just an enthusiasm and support from him that I think this may legitimately be Nintendo's first real foray into Games as a Service so to speak and we're going to be seeing DLC for at least another couple of years. Which is only a good thing for us fans.

I do think this article does emphasize that we're staying primarily focused on third parties though. There's just way too much smoke with regards to words like "collaboration, game worlds, and franchises" in addition to it lining up with the current Fighter's Pass' modus operandi and Nintendo's mission statement in financial presentations regarding Smash Bros.
Yeah it seems like Sakurai wants to continue to work on this game as long as possible and the DLC very well may become a Games as a service model. I could see that happening as every time he's spoken about the Additional DLC he's been really enthusiastic about it and really wants to continue working on the game. I could see them doing the Games as a Service model.

As for 1st parties I don't know at all despite me ruling them out entirely I just don't know, We just don't know. I think it's fair to say that if we get 1st party characters it'll be fewer than the new 3rd party additions and I could still see them adding at least one 1st party character which is of course Rex and Pyra.

At the least I wouldn't rule them out as Sakurai expressed remorse and seemed saddened that they couldn't be added to the base game and the fighters pass was and most likely is 100% third party so this right here is Rex and Pyra's best chance. Sakurai enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and expressed it plenty of times within his columns and as I said he expressed remorse when they revealed Rex's mii costume so at least I could see Rex and Pyra being added.

Obviously I could be wrong about even that but if we do get 1st party characters I wouldn't expect for them to be in the majority kind of like the reverse of base roster where we've gotten the majority of characters being 1st party with a few 3rd party and vice versa for DLC. I hope at least we could get one if not two or three+ 1st party characters but I don't know at all. There's nothing really going for 1st party characters after all.

D

Deleted member

Do you guys think that they chose the additional characters along with the Fighter Pass characters? Some of them at least?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Sony wanted TEN BILLION DOLLARS for the Spidey film rights. For context, that is more than what Disney paid for Marvel and Lucasfilm COMBINED. It would take over a DECADE for them to recoup the money they'd spend on those rights, assuming everything went perfect.

When Disney proposed a 25% deal that would allow the other Sony films to be part of the MCU (so Venom, Morbius, etc. would all be official MCU projects and produced by Kevin Feige, the Marvel Studios head who developed Homecoming and FFH for Sony), Sony didn't respond for MONTHS before going public with the deal's collapse. Then they tried to spin the story as an amicable split due to Kevin Feige not having enough time to work on Spidet due to the Phase 4 MCU slate, which was later confirmed to be complete, fabricated bull.

This is all to say that the image Disney has recently garnered (as some kind of monstrous entity to negotiate with) has been purposely cultivated by Sony to avoid the inevitable public backlash from their backing out of the deal. It can't be used as evidence for Geno's likeliness over Sora.

I know HISTORICALLY speaking, the GCN era is seen as a stumbling point for Nintendo, but I feel like that was the best exclusive lineup of the generation. Seriously, think back on that lineup!
They wanted 5, and it's pretty obvious to why. Spiderman is their biggest movie license so of course, they will demand a lot for it...
Also... of course, they refuse to let them pay 25% of the movies because then they would get more control over the movie license. With them paying the entire thing makes them having basically 100% control. Could you argue that they deserve a bit more than the former deal (aka 5 percent of the first dollar bill).. sure.. but 25% with them paying also? Sony would be stupid to accept that offer. So, of course, they went silent about it. And I say this as someone that would have liked Spidey to stay in the MCU.

Ps... that original report came from Deadline, so that report is far from fabricated. Their response is damage control sure, but the report aren¨t bs.

Also... if Disney is so easy to work with... would you mind explaining how Sora was only available for a period of time in Squares mobile game and not something they could permanently add? A character that people keep saying that Disney has said that they don¨t have Square at a leach when it comes to how to handle the character.

Like I¨ve said before... I don¨t mind Sora in smash as long as anything Disney related comes with it, but it feels like people like you are underestimating how Disney works when it comes to stuff like this.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So regarding the opinion of there only being 3rd party characters for the rest of the DLC and those characters being from new worlds, do you think that hurts Geno's chances? I mean he is technically a Mario character owned by Square-Enix so he really wouldn't be a new character bringing a new franchise into Smash.

D

Deleted member

I
So regarding the opinion of there only being 3rd party characters for the rest of the DLC and those characters being from new worlds, do you think that hurts Geno's chances? I mean he is technically a Mario character owned by Square-Enix so he really wouldn't be a new character bringing a new franchise into Smash.
Im not sure... for third party, Mario RPG is a collaboration of Nintendo and Square at least.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
@Neon05 hard to tell. My guess is Nintendo was probably in the position “more than likely” going to do more DLC but waited to see how the pass was going before committing fully. Or took some time to reach out to other companies about DLC fighter possibilities and licensing.

Also regarding third party stuff, remember, third party characters are characters that Nintendo doesn’t own. So Geno is a third party character despite being in a MARIO game.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
They wanted 5, and it's pretty obvious to why. Spiderman is their biggest movie license so of course, they will demand a lot for it...
Also... of course, they refuse to let them pay 25% of the movies because then they would get more control over the movie license. With them paying the entire thing makes them having basically 100% control. Could you argue that they deserve a bit more than the former deal (aka 5 percent of the first dollar bill).. sure.. but 25% with them paying also? Sony would be stupid to accept that offer. So, of course, they went silent about it. And I say this as someone that would have liked Spidey to stay in the MCU.

Ps... that original report came from Deadline, so that report is far from fabricated. Their response is damage control sure, but the report aren¨t bs.

Also... if Disney is so easy to work with... would you mind explaining how Sora was only available for a period of time in Squares mobile game and not something they could permanently add? A character that people keep saying that Disney has said that they don¨t have Square at a leach when it comes to how to handle the character.

Like I¨ve said before... I don¨t mind Sora in smash as long as anything Disney related comes with it, but it feels like people like you are underestimating how Disney works when it comes to stuff like this.
I mean, Disney has a decent point that Sony can't make live-action Spiderman movies for **** and they generally don't come close to performing half as well as those in the MCU. Disney may have over-confidently played their hand a little with regards to Spiderman, but Sony is at much at fault if not more for their falling out when you consider they were the ones who went public while decision making was still going on to basically score sympathy points.

Sora was free in the mobile games, so there was no extended income to support a proper licensing deal. Both his appearances in those games are completely inconsequential low effort appearances that have minimal work or concern put into them. They're in those moments to be a big deal to some fans and drive up sales about a limited time project. Square Enix's mobile stuff has always been about cash grabbing and complete disregard for quality. A Smash appearance would actually have monetary compensation for an extended licensing deal, would see 6-10 months of effort to devoted to fully realizing the character with the utmost care and attention to detail, and would be a great advertising opportunity/PR move for Disney overall.

I think you underestimate how big of a deal Smash is in comparison to every other crossover and how the amount of respect paid to all parties would make Sora's inclusion much easier. Disney is a business with business oriented goals, and Sora in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is probably pretty good for business. They're not evil caricatures that refuse to cooperate with people (Hell, while it fell apart later on, they still managed to make an unprecedented deal for Spiderman and were giving all the profits of the solo Spiderman movies to Sony, so the Spiderman thing actually gives me more faith in their ability to pull off Sora in Smash if anything).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Im not sure... for third party, Mario RPG is a collaboration of Nintendo and Square at least.
I know, but do you guys think that is enough regarding Sakurai's statement in the Banjo & Kazooie presentation about them probably never having a chance to bring this many game worlds together again? If it's about just bringing new franchises into Smash, I am not sure how well that will be for our star boi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom