• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It really is a shame that Geno is owned by Square. Otherwise we may have seen in him in Mario Kart, Mario Party, Tennis, Golf, Sluggers, Strikers, and yes Smash, already.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't have it any other way. Geno is a rare character that has made his way into the public eye by sheer concentrated power of will. By us and by Sakurai. I think he's in. DLC or base. I think he's in.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Not to mention if i'm not mistaken, the wait for Brawl after it's initial announcement was MUCH longer than Smash Ultimate.
Heck, I believe Brawl speculation predated it's official reveal, from back when the Wii was still called "The Nintendo Revolution"
There was speculation on Ultimate going on before its reveal, too. Like the first 14 videos of Delzethin's "Challenger Approaching" series, for instance.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It really is a shame that Geno is owned by Square. Otherwise we may have seen in him in Mario Kart, Mario Party, Tennis, Golf, Sluggers, Strikers, and yes Smash, already.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't have it any other way. Geno is a rare character that has made his way into the public eye by sheer concentrated power of will. By us and by Sakurai. I think he's in. DLC or base. I think he's in.
Being SMRPG is pretty obscure as is, I'm not sure anything would've changed regardless of Square. Nintendo has often ignored more obscure characters quite a bit.

Even then, him being 3rd party may have at best affected Brawl, as there's an implication that licensing failed to get him. Considering a lot of what makes him notable was in the Mii Costume alone, I doubt having him playable would be much more difficult in obtaining. I imagine since he's also getting some trophies and some music may be done(depending if SE actually owns the SMRPG music. They have a different music IP policy, so the artists who made the tracks own 'em instead of SE itself), so that'll cost more. How much more is hard to say. Assuming SE says yes(which being they were on board from the start), there's a fairly strong chance of seeing him playable.

The idea that he's DLC isn't too unfounded. The character himself is pretty hard to make money from right now as is. SMRPG's VC release was kind of the only way to actually make money off of the IP. For SE, it could be a good idea to make him DLC so they'd get the most out of it. Business smarts and all. And as we found out with the costume alone, he sold well. The worst sales would be from the UK, as they took a long time to get SMRPG, but it probably wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

domriver

Smash Lord
I have an interesting question to ask you guys. If Nintendo for some reason wanted the full rights to Geno, do you think Square would be willing to comply?
As much i was this and still do I think Nintendo dropped the ball on this one. They should have just right away bought his rights and all when it was silent but of course why invest in a character that is going no where? Now that there is a demand for Geno AND they know there is a demand for a Remake + Sequel for Mario RPG and of course Square knows this they will not budge from Geno so easily any more they will raise the price and/or maybe not even sell him all the way through. I hope Geno gets the be in future games. a Remake and Sequel for Mario RPG ( done correctly) will sell like HOTCAKES I promise you.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Just coming in to say good luck Geno Bros! If anybody had to knock is out of this tournament I'm just glad it was you or Lloyd! Just know we're not gonna take it easy on you!

Let's get this runnable against the bear and bird, no matter what happens!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, at least the Top 3 is full of some stellar characters. Geno, Isaac, and Banjo would make this roster utterly perfect. Beyond that, even. Let's hope that this proof of love for these characters will carry on to Sakurai as well! Good luck to us all!

Or good luck to me since they're all my favorite choices since K. Rool.

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
It's been a fun run with the fan poll, glad to see Geno making it in the top 3. Even though he might not take home 1st, it really diminishes anyone's argument that people don't care about Geno. (I'd also argue back to anyone who says its too small of a voting pool that Sora vs Geno had the largest numbers of votes and Geno still pulled ahead)

Klimax

Smash Ace
We lost against Banjo but there's still a chance. I don't know if we'll beat our brother Isaac, but we'll do our best !

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Yeah. I got oddly more interested and invested in that poll than I expected. Was a good time though :)

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I'm so happy Geno and Isaac have made it this far! This poll could've ended with Steve and Fortnite guy, but instead it ended with BOOMER PICKS!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Well, at least the Top 3 is full of some stellar characters. Geno, Isaac, and Banjo would make this roster utterly perfect. Beyond that, even. Let's hope that this proof of love for these characters will carry on to Sakurai as well! Good luck to us all!

Or good luck to me since they're all my favorite choices since K. Rool.
Those characters are my top characters and concerning K. Rool, I’m glad he’s in too. :grin:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
We still got 45% of the vote against Banjo?! Wow! I am happy with our results even if we’re not on top. It really does show how desired his inclusion is.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
My fellow Genobros! Isaacbro here to wish you the best in this fan tourney showdown. You've been my vote for the longest time, but now we have to face each other. Whoever wins, I'm glad we and the Lloydbros made it in the final 4 and that is absolutely amazing. And to add, whoever wins, we shall take down the behemoth known as Banjo together (no hate on him at all btw. Lol). :)

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Alright Geno friends. If there's anyone besides Isaac that I want in Smash, it's definitely Geno. I see you lads as kindred spirits. All we want is to see our favourite boys get proper recognition and duke it out in glorious HD for the first time. The fight on the reddit poll was definitely meant to be alas. May our characters get in no matter the outcome :)

GoldenSunIsAlive

Smash Cadet
Good luck guys it is time to vote!

Jumping in as an Isaac supporter, wishing you good luck on the reddit poll!

Geno you are our brother. So whoever wins, please let the Geno and Isaac supporters stand together to take down banjo for an epic showdown! HANDS TOGETHER.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
We still got 45% of the vote against Banjo?! Wow! I am happy with our results even if we’re not on top. It really does show how desired his inclusion is.
Banjo is one of the few characters who stands on an equal level with Geno in terms of popularity; that's why he won.

Personally I want them both in, but, you know.

Alright Geno friends. If there's anyone besides Isaac that I want in Smash, it's definitely Geno. I see you lads as kindred spirits. All we want is to see our favourite boys get proper recognition and duke it out in glorious HD for the first time. The fight on the reddit poll was definitely meant to be alas. May our characters get in no matter the outcome :)
I'm sure we'll find out how things will go by or right after Halloween.

Two months left! The new thread title is so apt, and yet so foreboding... I don't know what to make of it...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have viewed Geno and Isaac as sort of rivals, if not more friendly rivals. So it's appropriate it's now Geno vs Isaac

SniperGabe

Smash Cadet
I haven't posted on Smashboards in a while but I love that Sakurai said during Smash 4 DLC "I actually wanted to include Geno as far back as Brawl" (Also how do I get added to the Support List?)

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Isaac and Geno as the long-lost RPG bros is shaping up to be the next Ridley and K. Rool reptilian bros. Here's hoping we get them both, ideally both in base but in DLC if necessary.

As for the poll, gotta go with Geno but I'm happy for whoever wins. They're really battling for second though, I don't see either topping Banjo.

I haven't posted on Smashboards in a while but I love that Sakurai said during Smash 4 DLC "I actually wanted to include Geno as far back as Brawl" (Also how do I get added to the Support List?)
Like the OP post and you'll get added eventually.

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Seems to be a little difficult to be added that way. I'm still waiting myself lol. I understand though that it's probably a bit tough/tedious to have to sort through all those likes to find the new people :)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Box theory just got a major boost :(

Will post when I get home if you haven't seen it

domriver

Smash Lord
Box theory just got a major boost :(

Will post when I get home if you haven't seen it
So in the Japanese playlist the amount of videos are 70 is up.
Last 2 newcomers (maybe) we dont know for sure if 70 is the end # but for caution on over guessing lets just say its 70.
So we have 2 newcomers left 1 it will go to Pokemon character the other Well.... Im expecting Geno but i guess Issac can be there as well.
IF this is really it. If 70 is really it. It will be a Pokemon and either Geno/Issac. Unless Sakurai doesn't reveal a pokemon but Im like 95% sure a newcomer pokemon is coming. The last one like i said if its 70 it will be Geno or Issac. As much as I want Geno than Issac no disrespect to Issac fans he would be a good character as well but i am/was more vested in Geno since Melee. Regardless how it goes we still got DLC. Also again if 70 is it. No Skull Kid, No Banjo, No Steve in base game. DLC maybe but base game nope. Im hoping its more than 2 unique characters but if not I think its pokemon and Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Last 2 newcomers (maybe) we dont know for sure if 70 is the end # but for caution on over guessing lets just say its 70.
So we have 2 newcomers left 1 it will go to Pokemon character the other Well.... Im expecting Geno but i guess Issac can be there as well.
IF this is really it. If 70 is really it. It will be a Pokemon and either Geno/Issac. Unless Sakurai doesn't reveal a pokemon but Im like 95% sure a newcomer pokemon is coming. The last one like i said if its 70 it will be Geno or Issac. As much as I want Geno than Issac no disrespect to Issac fans he would be a good character as well but i am/was more vested in Geno since Melee. Regardless how it goes we still got DLC. Also again if 70 is it. No Skull Kid, No Banjo, No Steve in base game. DLC maybe but base game nope. Im hoping its more than 2 unique characters but if not I think its pokemon and Geno.
Is one not going to Ken? Or is this just newcomers

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok listen up we may be close to a Lucina/Robin esc reveal

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
70 isn't the final number.

That's the total of the already-existing character trailers; any videos we can't see are not counted.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ok listen up we may be close to a Lucina/Robin esc reveal

Everyone wish upon the Star Road that it's Geno!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It may also be another Smash Direct please.

...though if it is a Robin/Lucina-esque reveal, can Box Theory be dead? I'd expect at least one more reveal in the direct.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It may also be another Smash Direct please.

...though if it is a Robin/Lucina-esque reveal, can Box Theory be dead? I'd expect at least one more reveal in the direct.
I think we'd only get that if the characters are from the same franchise

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Man, I wonder when this trailer would drop then. I just don't imagine it happening so soon though considering Sakurai already stated they would slow down on the reveals.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Hopefully we'll get a Smash direct in the next two weeks. Like another 30 minute one would be nice.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Hopefully we'll get a Smash direct in the next two weeks. Like another 30 minute one would be nice.
I hope it's next week! I'm on vacation, so that would be perfect timing! I think it's a bit early, but it could happen. Rooting for our man in blue!

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Just coming in to say good luck Geno Bros! If anybody had to knock is out of this tournament I'm just glad it was you or Lloyd! Just know we're not gonna take it easy on you!

Let's get this runnable against the bear and bird, no matter what happens!
My fellow Genobros! Isaacbro here to wish you the best in this fan tourney showdown. You've been my vote for the longest time, but now we have to face each other. Whoever wins, I'm glad we and the Lloydbros made it in the final 4 and that is absolutely amazing. And to add, whoever wins, we shall take down the behemoth known as Banjo together (no hate on him at all btw. Lol). :)
Good luck guys it is time to vote!

Jumping in as an Isaac supporter, wishing you good luck on the reddit poll!

Geno you are our brother. So whoever wins, please let the Geno and Isaac supporters stand together to take down banjo for an epic showdown! HANDS TOGETHER.
When I see how tight-knit the Issac and Geno communities are, yet how we are still technically rivals, it reminds me of this.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Hmmm...interesting developments. I sincerely thought we wouldn't get another reveal until a direct in November, given Sakurai's comments. But now that I think about it, I suppose you could say those could have been in reference to the present (i.e., Isabelle's reveal) rather than the future exclusively. Meaning, Sakurai was telling us that the 5 characters at once thing was a one time deal, and Isabelle's reveal was the start of the new trend. He was using her as an example to say that there wouldn't be 5 newcomers every direct, NOT that we wouldn't have reveals on the regular.

Granted, he was terribly vague. As he always is. Because, even when he says things like "not too many," we never have any clear idea of his true intentions or scope.

Sakurai...you are an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a silken, youth-sized shirt.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I interpreted Sakurai's announcement as being less about "Don't expect any announcements anytime soon" and more about "Don't expect as many characters as in the August Direct from here on out."

Because he said "Don't expect too many characters" at E3, and then two months later dropped five characters in 22 minutes. I think he was worried people would be expecting another handful of characters in the next Direct, when we're probably only going to get 2-4 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom