• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
I agree, I imagine at this point Geno is the only 3rd party character who wouldn't need a stage because we already have a lot of Mario stages.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Despite the numerous Mario stages we have, we still have no Bowser's Castle stage. Bowser's Keep could fill that void.
Inclined to agree, but most people wouldn't likely recognise it as being Geno's stage and just assume it's Bowser's. I don't really mind either way, would still be cool to see.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Another thing to note, presumably characters would be the main priority for the base game so if they were so inclined they could just make stages for newcomers as DLC. I've always considered stages (and DLC in general) as "the icing on top" rather than the full course. And I certainly wouldn't mind that approach.

Despite Sakurai's claims that they aren't thinking about DLC, I guarantee they are. I think it moreso means that he's trying to focus on the base roster and material rather than fretting over what extra stuff he'll do after the game releases. Which is important because this is a monster of a game even right now.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Another thing to note, presumably characters would be the main priority for the base game so if they were so inclined they could just make stages for newcomers as DLC. I've always considered stages (and DLC in general) as "the icing on top" rather than the full course. And I certainly wouldn't mind that approach.

Despite Sakurai's claims that they aren't thinking about DLC, I guarantee they are. I think it moreso means that he's trying to focus on the base roster and material rather than fretting over what extra stuff he'll do after the game releases. Which is important because this is a monster of a game even right now.
This is a game is one that they DO NOT have to worry about going GOLD. This game will sell like hot-cakes. DLC will happen. Its a cash cow game and any business would like to squeeze more cash out of a cow. How far they intend to do it that i am uncertain of. If i was nintendo I would like squeeze that cow so hard that Nintendo will have not to worry about the next iteration of SMASH till possibly the next system.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I think Nintendo would almost force Sakurai and his team for DLC since it would be almost printing money.

The mechanics, or structure of the game will be more or less completed, so it would take less resources and energy for focusing on developing a few extra fighters ... let alone other things, like Mii costumes or other things, down the road.

Granted I am not a game developer ... but it seems that would be the case.

domriver

Smash Lord
I think Nintendo would almost force Sakurai and his team for DLC since it would be almost printing money.

The mechanics, or structure of the game will be more or less completed, so it would take less resources and energy for focusing on developing a few extra fighters ... let alone other things, like Mii costumes or other things, down the road.

Granted I am not a game developer ... but it seems that would be the case.
If i re call correctly Sakurai stated the more characters involved the more difficult balancing becomes. As far as for that goes I don't know what that entails. I know a lot of testing with the character against probably every single fighter. I wouldn't mind that job . jejejeje

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
If i re call correctly Sakurai stated the more characters involved the more difficult balancing becomes. As far as for that goes I don't know what that entails. I know a lot of testing with the character against probably every single fighter. I wouldn't mind that job . jejejeje
i think it's pretty obvious that sakurai skipped a lot of the balancing phase for the DLC characters, considering almost all of them are top tier, then Bayo which is ridiculous on all ends

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
It is already a huge struggle to balance this current roster, I do agree.

I could see that future DLC could be limited to Echo fighters, which would mostly require balancing the original and then the tweaks to the clone. Granted, I am not saying there will be DLC or even limited to Echo fighters, but it would be a lot easier for creation and balancing. Or at least it would be more appealing to go that route.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Considering the development cycle is almost as short as Melee's was and considering the point about DLC characters almost all being either high/top tiers, I expect this game to be as unbalanced as Melee.

Not saying it can't be balanced but I don't expect it to be. So I apologize to any low-tier mains if my theory comes to fruition.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I agree, I imagine at this point Geno is the only 3rd party character who wouldn't need a stage because we already have a lot of Mario stages.
Technically he's a 2nd-Party character; due to being a Mario Character, owned by Square Enix; Not quite 1st-Party, not quite 3rd-Party

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Considering the development cycle is almost as short as Melee's was and considering the point about DLC characters almost all being either high/top tiers, I expect this game to be as unbalanced as Melee.

Not saying it can't be balanced but I don't expect it to be. So I apologize to any low-tier mains if my theory comes to fruition.
i believe Sakurai said something like "every second of this games development is going into balancing" or something, so hopefully it at least not have a gap higher then the last games

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
With no stages, I kind of feel like if Banjo is getting in he'll be DLC.

With a spiral mountain stage.

But I'm not sure we 100% know or not

Last edited:

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
considering that last time the last reveal before DLC was Duck Hunt.... i dunno if sakurai is really saving any big reveals

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

This game has been in the works for like 3 years, comparing it to melee’s 10 month development cycle is more than unfair

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
This game has been in the works for like 3 years, comparing it to melee’s 10 month development cycle is more than unfair
Eh... I suppose.

Though there is significantly more content in this game (though, adversely, there's also significantly more manpower). Considering Melee was likely built from the ground up (though hey, maybe they ported 64's assets over, I don't know?) whereas this game has been confirmed to be using Sm4sh as its base, I suppose the comparison is unfair.

I just won't be surprised if the game is unbalanced, is all.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Eh... I suppose.

Though there is significantly more content in this game (though, adversely, there's also significantly more manpower). Considering Melee was likely built from the ground up (though hey, maybe they ported 64's assets over, I don't know?) whereas this game has been confirmed to be using Sm4sh as its base, I suppose the comparison is unfair.

I just won't be surprised if the game is unbalanced, is all.
If only something like patches existed in case anything is unbalanced...

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
The recent famitsu article straight out confirms that Sakurai used the ballot to decide on including King K. Rool.
And Sakurai has said Geno is incredibly popular.

Things are looking brighter and brighter for our boy Geno!

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
The latest article really just seems to double down on a bunch of net positives for Geno. Poll, Mii costume, no new stage needed, etc etc.

Just hoping he gets the, mushroom icon and not a unique one. Even though he's third party he's still a Mario character to me.

Dan

Smash Lord
It was really obvious that he was doing the ballot characters before he said so; I voted for Ridley, but this could go the complete opposite way for us and end up being Goku as the final reveal... I hope not. Good point by Dragon lord Dragon lord that the final 3DS reveal was Duck Hunt, so it doesn't have to be epic by any means.

I agree with the sentiment that Skull Kid was not that popular, but I'd welcome him all the same, and if he is the next character then Sakurai was a bit too generous with the hints.

As for Geno, let's be honest: if we didn't get that Sakurai quote on him we would all be ****ting our pants right now, and even though he's tied to a SNES game he really doesn't fit the bill of a "retro rep" to me. That's almost a disservice to him.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

Smash Bros 4 took about 2 years to develop as well. Remember the roster and project plan was picked back in 2012 and then released 2 years later. Hence, why I think we might get 6-7 more new characters completely and the rest being echoes.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
In a way, he could be a retro Mario RPG if you want.

I kinda hope that Skull Kid gets in because that would make a lot of people happy but I am not holding my breath on him. Now the idea for a double reveal seem doubtful...

But yeah, Sakurai's wishes (ha) for Geno to get in because he likes him and is told to be perfect for Smash is our silver lining or rope on the edge of a cliff. This is it for Geno, there is no better chance than this.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
you also have to factor in that this time there only working on 1 game instead of 2 this time and are reusing a ton of assets, that being said though i still think were just getting 4 new characters and 3-4 echoes

Dan

Smash Lord
If characters who were killed in recent trailers can't come back (Mario), then a decent reveal for Geno could be Skull Kid pwning Young Link in the lost woods and Geno comes to save him, a la SMRPG.

Kalomaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
sonicmarioguy
i believe Sakurai said something like "every second of this games development is going into balancing" or something, so hopefully it at least not have a gap higher then the last games
we still have balance patches (Thank god) so it will probably be fine if x character is mad OP at launch

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
So, I've had something on my mind for a while now...if Sakurai intends to show every character before the game launches, that creates a certain opportunity. One regarding a part of the game I haven't seen discussed:

The opening cinematic.

Think about it for a second. Every character in Smash, in an animated opening. Even if it's just for a quick flash of a moment, without secret characters, they can include everyone in it. Think Melee's opening, but with 70 or so characters. With Geno. K. Rool. Ridley. Isaac...

My head would explode.

Granted, he could simply pull a Smash 4 and not have one at all, or use reveal trailer/Spirits mode clips a la Brawl. But if ever there was a time to do such an amazing opening movie, it's with Ultimate. I can just see Sakurai wrapping all the prerelease info with such a video.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So, I've had something on my mind for a while now...if Sakurai intends to show every character before the game launches, that creates a certain opportunity. One regarding a part of the game I haven't seen discussed:

The opening cinematic.

Think about it for a second. Every character in Smash, in an animated opening. Even if it's just for a quick flash of a moment, without secret characters, they can include everyone in it. Think Melee's opening, but with 70 or so characters. With Geno. K. Rool. Ridley. Isaac...

My head would explode.

Granted, he could simply pull a Smash 4 and not have one at all, or use reveal trailer/Spirits mode clips a la Brawl. But if ever there was a time to do such an amazing opening movie, it's with Ultimate. I can just see Sakurai wrapping all the prerelease info with such a video.

Now you've gone and gotten my expectations too high. If this happens, I'll be in a coma before I get to the main menu.

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman

The opening cinematic.

My head would explode.

That would be awesome honestly ! I wonder if there will be small clips of the reveal trailers in it too...

I think that Sakurai may even be preparing a Christmas present to all of his fans. Since the game launches during that jolly time :3

domriver

Smash Lord

The opening cinematic.

My head would explode.

This would be me without a doubt.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

Now you've gone and gotten my expectations too high. If this happens, I'll be in a coma before I get to the main menu.
Lol, sorry! :laugh: It probably isn't helping for me to keep overhyping possibilities...but I can't help it!

This would just be too perfect. The crazy part is, with how perfect this game is shaping up to be so far, it actually seems possible.

And that image was pretty much exactly the look on my face when all of this hit me, lol.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Although when talking about how many more characters we'll get in remember all the returning vets we got on top of the reused assets. Also just retooling a lot of old characters. I think we'll get 3 brand new characters and 4 more echoes. So 70 original characters and 10 echos making total of 80

I've had a thought recently. People have said that the one thing that could stop Geno from getting into smash is square not allowing him in.
But thing is considering the timing of when development would be starting and when the geno Costume was added. Is it not possible if not highly likely that when Sakurai got the rights for Geno's mii costume he also just got the rights to use him in the next game?

Like it would seem silly and inconvenient to ask for the two things at seperate times if at the time Sakurai already knew the next game was in the works.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Although when talking about how many more characters we'll get in remember all the returning vets we got on top of the reused assets. Also just retooling a lot of old characters. I think we'll get 3 brand new characters and 4 more echoes. So 70 original characters and 10 echos making total of 80

I've had a thought recently. People have said that the one thing that could stop Geno from getting into smash is square not allowing him in.
But thing is considering the timing of when development would be starting and when the geno Costume was added. Is it not possible if not highly likely that when Sakurai got the rights for Geno's mii costume he also just got the rights to use him in the next game?

Like it would seem silly and inconvenient to ask for the two things at seperate times if at the time Sakurai already knew the next game was in the works.
That's actually a really good point: release the DLC costume while starting work on the actual character in Ultimate.

I hope Geno gets in! The Mallow skin for Geno is just too good.
Mallow skin? They play nothing alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom