• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Smash Lord
Did Vergeben ever actually mention Geno? I am reading an article that says he did, but all of his posts except the ones about revealed characters and Isabelle have been removed.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Especially those who have impact. I'm trying to think which characters would have the impact of a Ridley, or a K. Rool or even a Simon Belmont. I think Geno is the last of the top tier. I think a character like Elma, or Isabelle would be nice, but more so like "oh they are in, cool". I know it's hard to keep expectations tempered, but Sakurai spoiled the crap out of us today. For someone who said don't expect too many new characters, he didn't act like it. I think he has a few more aces up his sleeve, and I think Geno may be one of them.
The ONLY one that could be even remotely close is the combo of Banjo and Kazooie. They had a MASSIVE demand and expectation after Smash 64, but after Microsoft bought Rare, everyone hoping for that kinda seemed to go, "oh well, that's the end of that."
I'd still say that Geno had a bigger following. I'm optimistic.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
My prediction for the next direct:

New Pokémon
Shadow*(Sonic echo)
Dixie Kong*(Diddy echo)
Isabelle*(Villager echo)
Geno
Personally, I wanted Queen Aleena, Manic & Sonia The Hedgehogs in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as New Comer Full-Playable Fighters after or before be confirmed in Sonic Mania Plus!

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Did Vergeben ever actually mention Geno? I am reading an article that says he did, but all of his posts except the ones about revealed characters and Isabelle have been removed.
I was actually looking around for if he had said anything like that. I haven't found anything yet. I know there were people posing as him making some rather...special claims and he basically said, "that ain't me"

link2702

Smash Champion
This may seem like an odd question but does anyone have an updated version (as well as original) of the long panorama promo art of smash ultimate?

We noticed that all the newcomers got a spot on it today, maybe a closer examination could give us a rough idea where any newcomers might be placed, or just how many newcomers there might be based on the blank/less filled spots.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't trust that guy. He may have gotten some things right, but he has a bad track record, even with games he got stuff right on. He has also failed to mention multiple things, like Richter and the new echo's. Plus, let's say he did know that orriginal E3 trailer, he could have guessed Simon from the fact that Konami is back and Bomberman was out of the running.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I don't trust that guy. He may have gotten some things right, but he has a bad track record, even with games he got stuff right on. He has also failed to mention multiple things, like Richter and the new echo's. Plus, let's say he did know that orriginal E3 trailer, he could have guessed Simon from the fact that Konami is back and Bomberman was out of the running.
I don’t get what’s not to trust in this situation though. His information might not be complete, but what he has said has all come to life.

In any event, I read Vergeben’s posts when they first came about and if I recall, he said he hadn’t heard about Geno.

He also said he doesn’t know about all the new characters in that same post, so his source could have only had a bit of information and not known the whole picture (or he is deliberately withholding some stuff). He acknowledged that when he was replying to folks who had questions.

Vergeben hasn’t given us any information we don’t already know except for Isabelle. IMO it isn’t nearly as much of a longshot as the other things he leaked ahead of time (Ridley, Snake, Simon, the title of the game, etc) so I believe his leaks.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it's going to be bandana Dee and Geno next. Don't really care too much who gets in as long as Geno does. I got everyone else I REALLY wanted

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think we'll definitely be getting a general Direct sometime in the coming months, and we'll probably get a reveal for someone generally recognizable like Bandana Dee or a Pokemon there. I also fully expect another Smash Direct closer to release - probably November, all things considered - to answer some of the questions left over by this one, and if anywhere, my friends, that's where we'll get Geno as our final reveal before release.
It's crazy, and maybe I'm totally off-base here, but I'm going with my gut on this one. This is what I strongly feel is going to happen, and we'll see how right I am closer to release. The Geno hype train is rolling full steam ahead.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Plus, who is left that has as much as Geno and is as much a show stopper? Isaac is the only really big one that comes to mind.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I didn't expect to hear myself saying this anytime soon, but I genuinely think Geno has a good chance of getting in.

Feel free to add me to the supporter's list. I'd love to see him in after all this time.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
paper mario?
With Captain Toad effectively out of the running now, I'd suspect Paper Mario is the only Mario competition even left for Geno to really contend with (Especially with Daisy in and Waluigi still relegated to assist trophy). They COULD add someone like King Boo or Kamek I suppose, but they don't have the same kind of popularity that Geno and Paper Mario have. Fawful could be a really cool additional choice for a rep, but he falls into the trap of being more obscure, also "irrelevant", and less requested. Today clearly showed that requested characters have a leg up going into this Smash with how he confirmed Chrom and Dark Samus, as well as showing off Simon Belmont and King K. Rool.

The thing is, Paper Mario I think is pretty actively hurt by his stage returning and being shown off already. If he was going to be revealed it would make sense to hold his stage off until the reveal of him, so I think he took a huge hit today. He's not deconfirmed, but he's looking a lot worse off than before. He'd be a decent reveal on his own mind you, but he'd still just be the third Mario to a lot of people, so I don't think it has that much weight.

That effectively leaves the floor clear for Geno in terms of Mario "roster slots" that people try to bring up. Any competition he would have from other Mario characters has been essentially shoved aside.

In terms of major announcements left, I think that Geno holds up pretty well too. Third parties will naturally be some of the more big, hype moments, but for Nintendo related characters the pool has gotten smaller. I do think a lot of people here are sleeping a bit on Isaac. He's grown quite the support community over the years as well, is currently the largest newcomer thread left standing after today, and has the "He represents an entire beloved franchise" going for him. So he would be another big reveal I imagine. Bandanna Dee has practically evolved to that level in the Smash speculation community as well, so I'd wager he'd be among the more notable potential announcements. I could also see a case for a Dixie Kong reveal being pretty major as she's one of the legitimate all-stars still missing completely, though her NOT being revealed today has likely hurt her chances as well.

Those are the major ones I can think of for the Smash community. A 7th-Gen Pokemon rep, Elma, and Isabelle all have growing support for now too, but haven't quite reached the major status of other speculation communities and are all the much more recent characters that could be considered.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
With Captain Toad effectively out of the running now, I'd suspect Paper Mario is the only Mario competition even left for Geno to really contend with (Especially with Daisy in and Waluigi still relegated to assist trophy). They COULD add someone like King Boo or Kamek I suppose, but they don't have the same kind of popularity that Geno and Paper Mario have. Fawful could be a really cool additional choice for a rep, but he falls into the trap of being more obscure, also "irrelevant", and less requested. Today clearly showed that requested characters have a leg up going into this Smash with how he confirmed Chrom and Dark Samus, as well as showing off Simon Belmont and King K. Rool.

The thing is, Paper Mario I think is pretty actively hurt by his stage returning and being shown off already. If he was going to be revealed it would make sense to hold his stage off until the reveal of him, so I think he took a huge hit today. He's not deconfirmed, but he's looking a lot worse off than before. He'd be a decent reveal on his own mind you, but he'd still just be the third Mario to a lot of people, so I don't think it has that much weight.

That effectively leaves the floor clear for Geno in terms of Mario "roster slots" that people try to bring up. Any competition he would have from other Mario characters has been essentially shoved aside.

In terms of major announcements left, I think that Geno holds up pretty well too. Third parties will naturally be some of the more big, hype moments, but for Nintendo related characters the pool has gotten smaller. I do think a lot of people here are sleeping a bit on Isaac. He's grown quite the support community over the years as well, is currently the largest newcomer thread left standing after today, and has the "He represents an entire beloved franchise" going for him. So he would be another big reveal I imagine. Bandanna Dee has practically evolved to that level in the Smash speculation community as well, so I'd wager he'd be among the more notable potential announcements. I could also see a case for a Dixie Kong reveal being pretty major as she's one of the legitimate all-stars still missing completely, though her NOT being revealed today has likely hurt her chances as well.

Those are the major ones I can think of for the Smash community. A 7th-Gen Pokemon rep, Elma, and Isabelle all have growing support for now too, but haven't quite reached the major status of other speculation communities and are all the much more recent characters that could be considered.
Kamek would more likely be a Yoshi rep, and while he might be cool based on the idea of getting another dedicated wizard, I am not banking on it. Plus, that Mushroom Kingdom stage is back, so he likely will be stuck there again. As for Fawful, I see his biggest flaw being that when it comes to supporting a newcomer in from M&L(And Paper Mario to an extent), the community never seems to unite on any single pick, splitting the voices and support. Irrelevance means little anymore, especially after today. Plus, Fawful is plenty relevant with the two M&L remakes that both have him play a major role. I feel Paper Mario also suffers a bit from the split in newcomer support, and the fact that we would have 3 Mario's does not help(The only reason we have 3 Link's is to fulfill the concept of everyone returning).

I admit, I just recalled a doozy of a third party that is a distinct possibility, and that many is sleeping on. Travis Touchdown. He is very Nintendo based, his creator and Sakurai are friends and the creator has voiced wanting him in on multiple occasions, he has a Switch exclusive game on the way, his move set would be unique(His creator has voiced that Travis would be more reliant on his wrestling moves, as he agrees with the over abundance of sword fighters), and more.

TBone06

Smash Ace
For those wondering, here is a before and after shot of the panorama. They slid characters from the original to make space for the five new characters today, so even if there doesn't look like there is space, they can easily adjust it. I wouldn't worry about looking at the panorama and worrying that it doesn't look like there is much room left, because they will make space. Saw some posts earlier, so I thought I'd share.

Attachments

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
For those wondering, here is a before and after shot of the panorama. They slid characters from the original to make space for the five new characters today, so even if there doesn't look like there is space, they can easily adjust it. I wouldn't worry about looking at the panorama and worrying that it doesn't look like there is much room left, because they will make space. Saw some posts earlier, so I thought I'd share.
Good eye there! Guess they will be moving more characters around when we get closer to the release after seeing that. Made me feel we are gonna get a few more, but knowing Sakurai, we're gonna get trolled

TBone06

Smash Ace
Good eye there! Guess they will be moving more characters around when we get closer to the release after seeing that. Made me feel we are gonna get a few more, but knowing Sakurai, we're gonna get trolled
I think we could still see a decent amount. I can see maybe another 6 characters. But of course it's in Sakurai's hands. I think we'll still see four unique newcomers, and maybe another two to three echoes.

Dan

Smash Lord
I just watched D1's reaction and we're both of the same mind that Geno is in this game; I'll be upset if he doesn't get in, but even more in a state of disbelief. There'll be a huge void there.

I think it's going to be bandana Dee and Geno next. Don't really care too much who gets in as long as Geno does. I got everyone else I REALLY wanted
I know; if Geno gets in I can finally rest on this damn franchise.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I just watched D1's reaction and we're both of the same mind that Geno is in this game; I'll be upset if he doesn't get in, but even more in a state of disbelief. There'll be a huge void there.

I know; if Geno gets in I can finally rest on this damn franchise.
Would you be able to link that reaction?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, it's almost surreal how much this direct changed the landscape of speculation. Indies now have a legitimate shot with Shovel Knight paving the way(At the cost of being a fighter, but it is more than an honer to be there in the first place), non-Japanese characters getting more legitimacy with Dark Samus and K.Roll being introduced, the confirmation of K.Rool and the disconfirmation of many other bringing much fresh life to Smash discussion, the confirmation of a more fan service based roster, and more! It is quite incredible, and brings characters like Geno, Issac, Bandanna Dee, Shantae, and others to the forefront.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
You know, it's almost surreal how much this direct changed the landscape of speculation. Indies now have a legitimate shot with Shovel Knight paving the way(At the cost of being a fighter, but it is more than an honer to be there in the first place), non-Japanese characters getting more legitimacy with Dark Samus and K.Roll being introduced, the confirmation of K.Rool and the disconfirmation of many other bringing much fresh life to Smash discussion, the confirmation of a more fan service based roster, and more! It is quite incredible, and brings characters like Geno, Issac, Bandanna Dee, Shantae, and others to the forefront.
How does Shovel Knight being an AT do anything but hurt Indie chances for playable characters? He was the poster boy for indies and was by far the most requested. Shantae is absolutely not at the forefront and would be lucky to somehow get an AT. She doesn’t deserve it by any means and her fanbase is much smaller for this game than it was for smash 4

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
The way I see it now is that Geno is definitely in now unless Square Enix be ***** and deny him.

Aftet Ridley and K. Rool Geno is the last man standing in the most wanted Smash character triangle. He needs to be in!

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Which is how it should be - it's a complete 180 from the final DLC presentation... that broke my heart; it didn't even feel like I knew this franchise: a walking advertisement from an over-represented franchise and some scary witch lady from a game I never even played.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
How does Shovel Knight being an AT do anything but hurt Indie chances for playable characters? He was the poster boy for indies and was by far the most requested. Shantae is absolutely not at the forefront and would be lucky to somehow get an AT. She doesn’t deserve it by any means and her fanbase is much smaller for this game than it was for smash 4
Well, for one, it proves indies can be in a role that affects game play, so that already helps out other indies. And while SK may be the poster boy, Shantae has decade plus history with Nintendo, is much more popular oversees than SK, they both did well in polls and were often close to each other, probably helped by the fact that both of their companies did massive calls to action when the smash ballot came. Heck, Yacht Club games is made up of former Wayforward developers, the people who make the Shantae games.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Well, for one, it proves indies can be in a role that affects game play, so that already helps out other indies. And while SK may be the poster boy, Shantae has decade plus history with Nintendo, is much more popular oversees than SK, they both did well in polls and were often close to each other, probably helped by the fact that both of their companies did massive calls to action when the smash ballot came. Heck, Yacht Club games is made up of former Wayforward developers, the people who make the Shantae games.
None of those weak reasons put her anywhere near the forefront like you indicated

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
None of those weak reasons put her anywhere near the forefront like you indicated
When I say forfront I mean actually be looked at with any amount of seriousness. After this direct the playing field has become less crowded and stuffy. Popular choices are gone, be it by conformation, assist status, Pokemon ball, or being apart of the background(Poor Captain Toad). The old gods of speculation like Ridley and K.Rool, who dominated speculation and swallowed discussion, are now gone and all the little fish can actually get a good meal. Is Shantae likely, not that much, but it is more than she had before, and now people are gonna be looking at her, especially since she is the other big indie name and you can bet a lot of SK fans are looking at her now.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to the Ashley fans anything about to say. (might wanna skip reading this if you are a fan, I don't mean to pour salt in the wound, just using it for a theory) but I think her getting deconfirmed may have given us an important clue to predicting future characters. because as everyone is saying it is quite clear they are going off the ballot and who is popular. but if that is so, why is Ashley not in? she was clearly the second most popular under K. Rool. finding the answer to this question will be important to understanding what we are working with.

So what other factor's besides popularity are going on here? Relevancy is certainly dead. Ashley was FAR more relevant than K. Rool and he's in. So what would Ashley be missing from her that the other characters that got in have?

My personal theory? A moveset that pulls from her appearances and actions in game. K. Rool and Ridley have a multitude of boss fights to get a moveset from, Inkling has a large pool of weapons to pull from as well as unique mechanics. and the Belmont's have a long history of playable characters to pull moves from. All their movesets are plain as day and really showcase their games.

Ashley on the other hand is from warioware. which is a series about playing micro games. the characters in it are the ones making the games. the times where you get to actually play as ashley as far as I know are minimal as far as I'm aware. and don't know if you ever have been able to fight her.

Why do bring all this up? because Geno already has a prebuilt moveset. if anything that is one of the big reasons I think a lot of people have wanted him is because they know how cool his moveset could be! So I think I found another big advantage in our favor.

tl;dr I think any new non echo characters that get in will have to have the combination of both large popularity and presence on the ballot. and a moveset that can be pulled straight from their games.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
These are the Mii Costumes left that haven't been deconfirmed. I like our chances here.
The Black Knight: Even if this guy is an echo of Ike(Since Chrom is a Roy echo), I feel like 2 echo for Fire Emblem is all the fandom can take. If he was original, he might be saved by being a villain and having a boat load of super armor(He is the Black Knight, of course he is gonna have super armor).
Geno: I don't need to say anything for obvious reasons.
Lloyd: A great secound Namco rep, which is all to likely to happen.
Akira: Ehh, I don't know much about VF. What I do know is that he is up with a lot of competition when it comes to a new Sega rep, especially with the likelihood of Shadow increasing.
Heihachi: Another great secound Namco rep. Between him and Lloyd, I give it a 50/50.
Monster Hunter character: I mean, we got the Rathalos pre armor, so there's that. I don't see them putting in a Monster Hunter character when all surprise has been lost. Monster Hunter will likely be only represented by it's most iconic monster.
Isabelle: It all depended on how they were gonna use echo's, and now I am 80% sure she is in. Her assist is still gone, we have a new AC assist, and the whole pacifist argument does not work well when people can have her chuck shells at other characters in Mario Kart.
Jacky: Same with Akira.

Also, sorry if I am posting a bit to much. I get really engaged in discussion and stating my views on things, so if it gets a tad overbearing, I am sorry.

Dan

Smash Lord
These are the Mii Costumes left that haven't been deconfirmed. I like our chances here.
I'm not really familiar with Akira; could he be an Echo of Ryu? Beyond that, I see Geno and Isabelle.

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I haven't been riding on the whole Geno thing, but after this direct I've noticed one thing. King K. Rool and Chrom were both Mii costumes in Smash 4 DLC, and who else was heavily requested on the ballot and appeared as a Mii costume?

I have to go back and root for my boy Isaac (he's in a less favorable position but he has a shot) but I have to say you guys got it really good, I really think we're getting Geno this time

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
anybody want to update this image with the official character art for K Rool?
Original creator here, I'll get back to you on that.

This is the home stretch, boys. We got this.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I feel like monster hunter is basically deconfirmed at this point. if they were a character they would show up along side the Ratholos reveal. but since they were not that it appears to me Sakurai decided a monster was the best way to represent those games. Ratholos seems to be the most Iconic part of the games as far as I am aware.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I feel like monster hunter is basically deconfirmed at this point. if they were a character they would show up along side the Ratholos reveal. but since they were not that it appears to me Sakurai decided a monster was the best way to represent those games. Ratholos seems to be the most Iconic part of the games as far as I am aware.
I don't disagree but I don't wanna remove anyone not outright deconfirmed.

Dan

Smash Lord
she was clearly the second most popular under K. Rool.
This is super debatable; after K. Rool it's like a bloodbath between 10 mid-tier characters and a lot of us would argue Geno is on top because of how long people have been clamoring for him and what Sakurai said about him puts him in the driver's seat in a lot of people's eyes.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sorry to the Ashley fans anything about to say. (might wanna skip reading this if you are a fan, I don't mean to pour salt in the wound, just using it for a theory) but I think her getting deconfirmed may have given us an important clue to predicting future characters. because as everyone is saying it is quite clear they are going off the ballot and who is popular. but if that is so, why is Ashley not in? she was clearly the second most popular under K. Rool. finding the answer to this question will be important to understanding what we are working with.

So what other factor's besides popularity are going on here? Relevancy is certainly dead. Ashley was FAR more relevant than K. Rool and he's in. So what would Ashley be missing from her that the other characters that got in have?

My personal theory? A moveset that pulls from her appearances and actions in game. K. Rool and Ridley have a multitude of boss fights to get a moveset from, Inkling has a large pool of weapons to pull from as well as unique mechanics. and the Belmont's have a long history of playable characters to pull moves from. All their movesets are plain as day and really showcase their games.

Ashley on the other hand is from warioware. which is a series about playing micro games. the characters in it are the ones making the games. the times where you get to actually play as ashley as far as I know are minimal as far as I'm aware. and don't know if you ever have been able to fight her.

Why do bring all this up? because Geno already has a prebuilt moveset. if anything that is one of the big reasons I think a lot of people have wanted him is because they know how cool his moveset could be! So I think I found another big advantage in our favor.

tl;dr I think any new non echo characters that get in will have to have the combination of both large popularity and presence on the ballot. and a moveset that can be pulled straight from their games.
Many think she did not do so hot in the ballot due to her inclusion as an assist before making other think she had no chance. The Japanese did not see it that way though, since they were directly informed of the ballots futrure use, so your point still has standing power. An easily visualized move set does make a character more attractive, and it's clear Sakurai has had years to think on how Geno would work. Heck, Sakurai cited Geno's gun arm being a big reason for him wanting Geno in, making it very clear Sakurai has thought on move set potential(Actually, gun arm? That has come up a lot in discussion lately. Specifically, a certain Gundam toy...).

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

Honestly? This may actually have something to do with it. When I heard Ashley was a popular choice, I was like, "yeah, she's got a great design and could bring a unique personality to Smash...but what are her moves? Spells?" It could work, but just as easily be applied to, say, Black Mage. The only thing that could set her apart is pulling from all the microgames...which, sadly, has yet to get Warioware's sister series, Rythym Heaven, in Smash (it would likely have a G&W esque compilation moveset.) So I was never really sure how she would work. And if it's not jumping out at me, it's probably not jumping out to Sakurai.

The Black Knight: Even if this guy is an echo of Ike(Since Chrom is a Roy echo), I feel like 2 echo for Fire Emblem is all the fandom can take. If he was original, he might be saved by being a villain and having a boat load of super armor(He is the Black Knight, of course he is gonna have super armor).
Geno: I don't need to say anything for obvious reasons.
Lloyd: A great secound Namco rep, which is all to likely to happen.
Akira: Ehh, I don't know much about VF. What I do know is that he is up with a lot of competition when it comes to a new Sega rep, especially with the likelihood of Shadow increasing.
Heihachi: Another great secound Namco rep. Between him and Lloyd, I give it a 50/50.
Monster Hunter character: I mean, we got the Rathalos pre armor, so there's that. I don't see them putting in a Monster Hunter character when all surprise has been lost. Monster Hunter will likely be only represented by it's most iconic monster.
Isabelle: It all depended on how they were gonna use echo's, and now I am 80% sure she is in. Her assist is still gone, we have a new AC assist, and the whole pacifist argument does not work well when people can have her chuck shells at other characters in Mario Kart.
Jacky: Same with Akira.

Also, sorry if I am posting a bit to much. I get really engaged in discussion and stating my views on things, so if it gets a tad overbearing, I am sorry.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Lloyd has a surprisingly decent shot! His costume was just so WTF out of the past, I can only think there may have been some deeper plans there. I would love for him to be in. Symphonia was my childhood!

Of course, not more than SMRPG...Geno comes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom