• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
After today's Direct, I think this is Geno's best chance to be in the game.

> A costume for Geno exists in Smash 4 so Square-Enix already let Nintendo use the character
> Square-Enix content is confirmed for Ultimate
> Geno is highly requested and Sakurai is aware of this
> Highly requested characters seem to have been prioritized for Ultimate
> Sakurai WANTS Geno in the game and thinks he would be a good fit
> Sakurai seems to be considering this to really be the ULTIMATE Smash Bros. and putting as much content in it (including content discarded from older Smash games)

All in all, I have a good feeling about Geno for Ultimate!

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
After today's Direct, I think this is Geno's best chance to be in the game.

> A costume for Geno exists in Smash 4 so Square-Enix already let Nintendo use the character
> Square-Enix content is confirmed for Ultimate
> Geno is highly requested and Sakurai is aware of this
> Highly requested characters seem to have been prioritized for Ultimate
> Sakurai WANTS Geno in the game and thinks he would be a good fit
> Sakurai seems to be considering this to really be the ULTIMATE Smash Bros. and putting as much content in it (included content discarded from other games)

I have a good feeling about Geno for this game!
I'm not gonna lie, given the chance I would put a substantial monetary bet on Geno's inclusion at this point in the game. We have no reason not to be reasonably confident about him appearing on the roster.

To be fair, there could always be another Brawl situation where Geno is snubbed again despite everything appearing in his favor, but things are obviously different this time.

The stars are aligning and our great god-angel-being from above will finally awaken from his long sleep and arise from the depths of Copyright Hell! GENO F'HTAGEN! R'LYEAH! R'LYEAH!

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
So with Captain Toad's deconfirmation I was thinking... there's no other Mario character left deserving of a spot in the roster. Only Captain Toad, Daisy and Waluigi would seem logical inclusions to me, and Daisy was the only one who made it... as an echo. So, no new Mario fighter this time? Even though Captain Toad and Waluigi are immensely popular and probably did fairly well in the ballot?

There are two explanations: there will not be any new Mario fighters (in Smash 4 we got both Rosalina and Bowser Jr., and the comeback of Dr. Mario, so Mario has already a good number of characters)... or Sakurai is leaving Mario's newcomer spot to Geno. That would explain why Waluigi is still a AT, two Mario newcomers would be overkill in a game which (presumably) won't have many newcomers, although to be fair we got 2 in one day along with 3 echoes.

Wait so since when was Captain Toad deconfirmed again? :confused:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think y’all are forgetting something...nintendo had a series that has gundam style robots in it already, custom robo. It could be far more likely that it’s like ray markIII or w/e it’s called.

Not meaning to crap on y’alls hopes, cuz believe me I want geno just as much as anyone else here, but custom robo was immediately the first thing that popped into my mind when i heard he bought a gundam toy.
At this point I feel that of the two pssibilities Geno is more likely to get into Ultimate than a Custom Robo rep. Geno may not have been in as many games, but there's just so much more history there in terms of people (including Sakurai) wanting him in.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Wait so since when was Captain Toad deconfirmed again? :confused:
He appears in the background of New Donk City. Not a hard deconfirmation by itself, but I wouldn't see a reason to make him cameo in NDC if he is a playable character.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I admit that I lost some interest in Geno over the years, but I was used to be a supporter.
It really seems that this time he has a chance for real... let's hope!
Maybe Geno is not relevant anymore for Nintendo, but he would be an unique and spectacular character in Smash, he is also tied with the history of Smash, people are heavily requesting him since Melee.
He's a big name with an history behind, he's unique and Smash is the only place where he can live again.

I wouldn't be mad if he's not in Smash, but if he manages to become a newcomer I would be happy for sure, it would be a childhood dream coming true.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
So, what we know so far...

1. Geno is one of the last hotly requested characters left with no announcement and no de-confirmation of their role as of yet...

2. Sakurai has tried (or at least has outwardly spoken on a desire) to get Geno in Smash in the past...

3. Square Enix has been onboard from the beginning of development of SSBU instead of joining near the end of the update cycle like with SSBWiiU/3DS and their main rep has returned...

4. Mii Costumes that DIDN’T get their own splash screen like Geno did (Inklings, K Rool) have ascended to the ranks of playable characters...

5. Simon, Richter, and Snake all being Konami reps opens the door to more than two characters from third-parties, so even if Sora (or someone else) is added it doesn’t de-confirm Geno...

6. Sakurai bought a toy to analyze the gun portion specifically, which I don’t believe hed need to do if modern assets like 3D character models were available...

7. Recently Nintendo put out a tweet asking if we were on #TeamGeno or #TeamMallow and they usually don’t talk about the game...

Guys I’m getting really excited. I truly think that we’re gonna have our moment soon and I will cry actual tears when we finally get to serve a higher authority once again after 22 years...

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Do you mean that ship that appears? Becuz I don't see any toads 0_0

Might as well check near the bottom. I don't think he would even be playable if he was like that this point

So I believe if Geno doesn't make it for Ultimate, Geno and Toad are the front liners for heavily requested characters in the next Smash...as long as we get our solids to return

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
This Direct has done nothing but get my hope up even more. Fan Favorite Fighters keep pouring in, none of that "Relevancy" crap, K. Rool making playable status after being a Mii Costume... Things are looking GOOD guys!

Really just depends on Square at this point. Maybe since 4 came out, Square will be more willing to allow more content in Smash, like trophies and more than two songs-

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 2.22.14 PM.png

Never mind I'm worried again.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
This Direct has done nothing but get my hope up even more. Fan Favorite Fighters keep pouring in, none of that "Relevancy" crap, K. Rool making playable status after being a Mii Costume... Things are looking GOOD guys!

Really just depends on Square at this point. Maybe since 4 came out, Square will be more willing to allow more content in Smash, like trophies and more than two songs-

View attachment 156395

Realistically any Mario RPG songs would be more likely to land in the Mario section rather than the FF section.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Square is very protective of FF, but I don't think they'll be such a pain in the ass in regards to Geno this time around. And seeing that FF only got two songs makes me think that Sakurai preferred to put his efforts in getting Geno's rights from Square rather than in having 36 tracks from FF.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

View attachment 156395

I would not be to worried. There is a big difference between one of the biggest RPG franchises in the world to a game that came out 20 years ago that was a collaboration between the two companies.

I also want to note something. With Castlvania in, every third party has at least 2 reps except for Namco and Square Enix. And since Namco is involved with this game, i easily see them getting a secound rep. So that would leave Square out and I don't see that happening, especially since Sakurai really cares about good representation.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I still think they're hiding Square music from us. It's a possibility we could see Geno in a Direct, as well as an Echo fighter for Cloud. This could be a big reason why there is no new music yet. Simon and Richter showed us that it's possible.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Realistically any Mario RPG songs would be more likely to land in the Mario section rather than the FF section.
Oh I know that, I just meant that it doesn't look like Square is playing hardball any less than they did with Cloud in 4, it seems.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's a possibility we could see Geno in a Direct, as well as an Echo fighter for Cloud.
So, you are expecting Zack? That makes sense, especially since we know even third parties with one rep can get echo's.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
loz apparently thinks we're getting Skull Kid as a character

Not related to much, but it could be one of the remaining characters

How many more characters should we expect?

Potentially if Skull Kid is somehow getting in, that's at least Bandana Dee and Skull Kid

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly, every third party right now have pretty much perfect choices for Echoes.

Ken for Ryu, Jeanne for Bayo, Shadow/Classic/Metal for Sonic, Ms. Pac-Man for Pac Man, Proto Man for Mega Man, Zack for Cloud... The only kinda iffy one is Snake, maybe MGS2 Raiden or Big Boss.

Of course, our boy Geno is far too unique to have any copy cats~

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The music thing is not a good look for Square Enix considering Street Fighter has a total of 36 music tracks as opposed to the three they had in Smash 4.

But then again, I don't think it is completely finished. Those numbers per series were looking low 20s to mid teens on average. No way it is the full 900 music tracks that Sakurai is claiming.

Let's wait and see.

cybersai

Smash Ace
At this point the only barrier for Geno is Square. I think Sakurai wants him in. But Square may want a Dragon Quest, etc. character in instead.

So who knows.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well, with today's Direct one thing is apparent to me. They don't care about saving characters for certain hype reveals. They're just going all out with reveals of all characters coming and keeping the hype coming. So Geno could absolutely show up at any point, and I honestly doubt they save him for like the last direct. He could be last by chance, but I certainly don't think that they're saving anyone for that slot.

Still, he survived this deconfirmation round, and is one of the bigger requests left standing. He would be a hype newcomer and with King K. Rool making the upgrade from Mii costume to Playable, I have very high hopes for Geno. King K. Rool being confirmed is only a good thing for Geno's chances.

As for the music, just because we don't have Final Fantasy music that doesn't put us out of Super Mario RPG music, and I don't really think that will affect Geno's chances unless Square are just being obstinate about Smash. I don't think they have a reason to be, and Geno isn't something they would hold as tightly to the chest as Final Fantasy since that is their primary baby after all.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think the lack of music tracks for FF and Street Fighter was only because of how late they were in development.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Square is very protective of FF, but I don't think they'll be such a pain in the *** in regards to Geno this time around. And seeing that FF only got two songs makes me think that Sakurai preferred to put his efforts in getting Geno's rights from Square rather than in having 36 tracks from FF.
Haiku: AGREED! HOPE, we'll get Thirty-Six Tracks from Legend of The Seven Stars! #Haiku #Hope #Geno4SmashUltimate

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it's going to happen this time around, guys. Smash 5 seems like the game where Sakurai is truly just putting everything everybody wanted into the game along with cleaning up things that didn't work in the past (like Ditto).

Zema

Smash Journeyman
A lot of characters got confirmed/deconfirmed. Ashley, Captain Toad, Mimikyu... at this point, there's not that much choice left for Sakurai if he intends to add more characters.

I want to believe!

TBone06

Smash Ace
A lot of characters got confirmed/deconfirmed. Ashley, Captain Toad, Mimikyu... at this point, there's not that much choice left for Sakurai if he intends to add more characters.

I want to believe!
Especially those who have impact. I'm trying to think which characters would have the impact of a Ridley, or a K. Rool or even a Simon Belmont. I think Geno is the last of the top tier. I think a character like Elma, or Isabelle would be nice, but more so like "oh they are in, cool". I know it's hard to keep expectations tempered, but Sakurai spoiled the crap out of us today. For someone who said don't expect too many new characters, he didn't act like it. I think he has a few more aces up his sleeve, and I think Geno may be one of them.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I kind of fear Issac taking that last 'highly requested' spot from Geno. I just don't know if Sakurai knows much about his demand.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I kind of fear Issac taking that last 'highly requested' spot from Geno. I just don't know if Sakurai knows much about his demand.
Geno doesn't have to worry about Isaac. The only character that would have to worry is potentially Elma.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Frankly, I don't see a limit on inclusions of highly requested characters. If he can get them in, it looks like he will. No reason why Geno, Isaac and Elma can't be added. At least in my opinion. I see at least one more, maybe two more directs.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don't really see why Isaac would get in the way of Geno. From what I've seen, he's never really been as popular as Geno, even in Smash, not to mention he completely missed out on Smash 4 without being promoted from his Assist Trophy role in Brawl - harsh. That's not to say he can't get in, but I definitely think he would be in line behind Geno rather than the other way around.

TBone06

Smash Ace
So just going over some of my own thoughts after the MASSIVE Smash Direct today regarding Geno and his hopeful future inclusion and why it's looking more likely.

- Going back to Sakurai's character polls, both K. Rool and Belmont were on it, proving he still is using that as a basis. Geno is currently one of the few who isn't included in the game somehow
- Third party companies getting two or more playable reps.
- K. Rool got a costume. His character design is almost identical to that costume. I believe this means that the plan was to include him in Ultimate once they had the costume, this argument has been strengthened now that he's confirmed.
- Two more big hype characters being included show that the unique newcomers are impactful ones. So far all four have been doozies (Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K. Rool) Geno fits this category.
- K. Rool's inclusion shows relevancy is not an issue (albeit I think K. Rool is more important to the Nintendo world)
- He survived another set of disconfirmations. Characters such as Ashley, Mimikyu, Shovel Knight and to a lesser degree (although I think it's 99% disconfirmed) Captain Toad have all been disconfirmed, meaning the pool of characters is shrinking.
- Him addressing Chrom and Dark Samus as extremely popular characters shows that he is looking for characters who the fans want.
- Including Ditto shows he continues to go back to the past to work on old ideas. Ridley was an extreme case of this, but Sukapon was another case.
- He keeps making it about the "Ultimate" experience and he's doing everything he can. I really don't think he would shaft us after addressing how popular he is, and by getting his costume in Smash 4.

Of course, this is speculation, but I have a good feeling this time around. I truly believe he's the last of the hype characters. Maybe Isaac and Bandana Dee are up there, but I don't see them on his level. If Sakurai wants to continue his trend of exceeding expectations and making dreams come true, then Geno will be included. I feel like today increased his chances. Ridley and K. Rool both go a long way in my opinion. But I will not rest easy until he's confirmed.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
My prediction for the next direct:

New Pokémon
Shadow*(Sonic echo)
Dixie Kong*(Diddy echo)
Isabelle*(Villager echo)
Geno

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think the lack of music tracks for FF and Street Fighter was only because of how late they were in development.
Nah, that makes no sense. They can literally, and I mean literally copy and paste music. They don't even need to remix the tracks if time is an issue.

TBone06

Smash Ace
My prediction for the next direct:

New Pokémon
Shadow*(Sonic echo)
Dixie Kong*(Diddy echo)
Isabelle*(Villager echo)
Geno
I think this is pretty accurate, although, I can see a new Pokemon being DLC (to go alongside Rex & Pyra and Springman/Ribbon Girl) But I think this is doable. Maybe Bandana Dee as well instead of the new Pokemon. I do think Isabelle is a given. I think Dixie could be in, and her not being included could just be because K Rool was the showstopper and didn't want to take the spotlight away from her.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think this is pretty accurate, although, I can see a new Pokemon being DLC (to go alongside Rex & Pyra and Springman/Ribbon Girl) But I think this is doable. Maybe Bandana Dee as well instead of the new Pokemon. I do think Isabelle is a given. I think Dixie could be in, and her not being included could just be because K Rool was the showstopper and didn't want to take the spotlight away from her.
I do have to say, if they are gonna reveal Bandanna Dee, they are likely gonna pair him with another character. Joint trailers, like they did today. I don't want to insult the little guy, and he is certainly popular and has had some big roles in the newer Kirby games, but he is not that big of show stopper. Sure, most people will be glad he is there, me included, but they are gonna be waiting for that "And..?"

TBone06

Smash Ace
I do have to say, if they are gonna reveal Bandanna Dee, they are likely gonna pair him with another character. Joint trailers, like they did today. I don't want to insult the little guy, and he is certainly popular and has had some big roles in the newer Kirby games, but he is not that big of show stopper. Sure, most people will be glad he is there, me included, but they are gonna be waiting for that "And..?"
Yeah he's on that level of Elma, Isabelle, or a new Pokemon character. I think he could hold his own trailer, but he's not one you end the show with. Definitely has to be the first of a direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom