• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The thing is I can understand people maybe erring on the side of pessimism or even believing a leak or thinking a datamine gives credence to one thing or another. But it's just gotten to the point where people are outright saying he's absolutely not happening as if it's an objective fact or as if anything has conclusively hurt his chances more than anything else. It's not like I absolutely think he's happening for sure or that the thread should be some echochamber of positivity but at the same time it feels like the opposite has happened in recent months where the thread has almost become an anti-Geno Hype echochamber and you can't have a single conversation without people bringing up how much they don't think Geno is happening in the FP and circlejerking how hopeless it all is to convince people to see things their way or talking more about characters that aren't Geno even when there's threads for said characters. It's just frustrating to see the same conversations over and over especially when they're not really based on any conclusive information. I really do think that's why a lot of people who were happy to talk about Geno's chances even after he was presented as a spirit have since left. It's just not enjoyable to see the same things over and over after awhile.
I think it's more of a case of extremes clashing. There's certainly a positive echochamber going on as well.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think it's more of a case of extremes clashing. There's certainly a positive echochamber going on as well.
The only sense of a positive echochamber that I have seen is people like myself saying not to assume everything is over and done with in terms of Geno's chances and that certain characters are definitely getting in over him. The overall conversation has become so negative that anything erring even a bit more positive probably looks overly positive when it's just not giving up entirely.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Of course you're going to get positive talk here. It's the Geno thread. It should be a mecca for wanting the character in Smash.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Of course you're going to get positive talk here. It's the Geno thread. It should be a mecca for wanting the character in Smash.
finally someone with a brain

go take your pessimism to general dlc discussion we don't need it here

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The only things in there about DLC are that Ultimate's DLC hadn't been planned as recently as January 2018, that Sakurai isn't a big fan of the season pass model, and that the current DLC characters were chosen without Sakurai's input (which we already knew). That’s it. Anything else is conjecture and projecting on someone you do not personally know.
I don't see what I'm projecting or any conjecture I'm making in my post? To be clear, the whole Geno being rejected line I put in that post was referring to earlier (like weeks ago I think) conversations I had with Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth about Geno potentially being denied entry from Brawl and was not supposed to have any bearings on the current DLC.

The larger point of my first little section was to say, if you're someone like me or say Ovaltine Ovaltine who have traditionally championed Geno as a character that would make it in outside of the Fighter's Pass, Sakurai's comments in this interview certainly don't come off as positive for additional DLC when Sakurai states multiple times about the problems of the DLC cycle (Getting resources for it is difficult, DLC has a more limited audience, better to move on to other projects/the next one than producing DLC indefinitely). All of those comments make the end of DLC sooner rather later a more likely prospect, and I don't see another way to really interpret those comments. I mean, it's certainly still possible to see further DLC, but it's clearly even less clear of a decision than we thought it was before (Which wasn't really universal to begin with).

Can Geno happen in the Fighter's Pass? Sure. Basically any video game character is still on the table since we're only one character in. But I will completely stand by his comments probably indicating that further DLC as more unlikely than what we knew before. And that's all I'm really saying with my comments. He talked a lot about DLC in a general sense that gives us better context to the process, and the information provided here mostly aligns with how we've seen Nintendo produce DLC over the past few years.

I'll also clarify that we don't know the extent of Sakurai's involvement with DLC at this moment. He said that he decided if choices were viable, and again, the whole Joker came about because Sakurai really liked Persona 5 interview keeps throwing me off, so it's a difficult space to navigate in terms of his real control and impact on the process.

I'm still not saying Geno is hopeless with any of this, but I will admit to being a person who has always thought he would come later in DLC offerings for Smash if we got them, so I'm a little more concerned than I have been about him for a while. I've always largely doubted his chances in the Fighter's Pass because I figured that with Nintendo at the helm of DLC and a better relationship growing with Square Enix that Dragon Quest would be the priority franchise for them to include (Not to mention the moment Sora comes to the table things get even more complicated). I could absolutely see how Nintendo higher-ups would look at Dragon Quest in Smash and completely support that idea given the popularity of the series in Japan, if not even for personal reasons having grown up with the series. I've always been less confident in Nintendo than I have been Sakurai with regards to getting Geno in Smash. Sakurai should be our theoretical ticket in, but the extent to which his hand influences DLC plays a vital role I think in determining Geno's chances for the Fighter's Pass. We still don't really know that, but Joker, at the very least, does inspire some confidence that Sakurai had a wider ranges of choices that also interested him at his disposal and that he may have picked Geno to finally join in the midst of everything. I think including one of the fan requests in the DLC does make sense, and Geno certainly shares that spotlight alongside the likes of Banjo Kazooie and Bandanna Dee as not relegated to assist trophies, so again, that's a positive.

I don't think Geno's done for, I just do think his window of opportunity (and this applies across the board to all character hopefuls, not matter how popular or otherwise) has shrunk based upon Sakurai's recent comments because they've convinced me that the Fighter's Pass will be the extent of the DLC we get.

I'm also still, perhaps foolishly, hopeful that, in the event that Geno isn't in the Fighter's Pass, he'll just casually drop Geno as an extra character outside of the Fighter's Pass because he decided to and made it happen just because he wanted to make a personal dream and the fan's dreams come true, Nintendo's decision making be damned. But that's a far away hope that I'd mostly just love to see happen...

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
It's kinda sad to see extra DLC has become less likely but damn man, what a game he has made.

For every Dixie Kong and Geno I want, there's King K. Rool returning from the dead and "Everyone is Here (c)". I would rather Sakurai didn't run himself into the ground at this point, he's already made imo the best game of all time.

Who knows man, DLC is still a wild ride. Not gonna lie I do wish this thread chilled a bit with the seesaw "he's in" to "he's dead" but tbf, I think that's a Smash Speculation problem than it is just this thread.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do not tell someone to "leave" the topic. That's not your decision to make. If a problematic user exists, report it. Let the Moderation handle it. For the record, this is not some option here. Only the Moderation can remove a user from a topic, and we don't just immediately do so. We discuss it properly, like with many users with problems that come up. We understand the fact things don't get done fast can be frustrating. It's unfortunate, but the last thing that should happen is kneejerk reactions. It's important things are done with care and understanding.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It's kinda sad to see extra DLC has become less likely but damn man, what a game he has made.

For every Dixie Kong and Geno I want, there's King K. Rool returning from the dead and "Everyone is Here (c)". I would rather Sakurai didn't run himself into the ground at this point, he's already made imo the best game of all time.

Who knows man, DLC is still a wild ride. Not gonna lie I do wish this thread chilled a bit with the seesaw "he's in" to "he's dead" but tbf, I think that's a Smash Speculation problem than it is just this thread.
More than ever, I definitely feel like we might be seeing the last time Smash exists in this more traditional form (I think the future of Smash will likely be very different and see more cuts as much as it pains me to say it given how much I love everyone on this roster). That's not a definitive thing by any means, but I do think it makes sense for the franchise to move somewhere differently.

But goddamn, I'm so ecstatic that just once, before such changes happen or Smash goes a long time without a proper new release, that we got a game as incredible and fully featured as Ultimate. Everyone is Here always felt like a pipe dream of mine, and I still almost can't believe that I got that dream realized alongside so many long time supported characters like Ridley and King K. Rool. And hopefully, we might see one or two more before this whole ordeal is other with through the Fighter's Pass.

And yeah, support moves with the wind pretty much across all of Smash fandom. It's just been a while without specific information regarding newcomers in the Fighter's Pass, and the Sakurai interview does contextualize DLC for him in ways we previously didn't know about it. Hopefully E3 breaks the ongoing deadlock and pumps the community back up with something exciting and new.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Sakurai's answer in the interview is going to be used to throw people off from expecting outside fighter pass DLC? Okay, not likely, but it could happen.

With everyday, I just want Geno more and more, in any shape or form, but it feels like he's just sinking deeper into SE's box of forgotten characters. Don't take this the wrong way, I am NOT giving up on the Geno dream, but it's kind of sad for me to see him less likely. I'll admit that I'm no where near as confident as I once was, but we still have some supporting evidence/facts to his inclusion. I encourage you guys to keep believing, but I also understand if you just want to throw in the towel at this point.

Also, at the time I read all this, I was watching someone play Dark Souls and the character creation theme is kinda sad and depressing so it oddly set the mood I'm in right now

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I don't understand why we're taking his DLC comments as gospel when he's said every single Smash game he's made will be his last and that there was no possible way that you could fit any more content than Brawl in a video game

He's also said that Villager didn't "lend himself to fighting" and that Ridley was too big. He announced them as the first newcomers twice in a row.

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet
Personally, I don't think it's up to him to make more DLC or not. If Nintendo wants it, the Smash team will do it. I think it all depends on how well the Fighter Pass sells after everyone is revealed for it.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've said it before, and I'll say it again here. It's not over until it's over. Until the day Sakurai or Nintendo says it's the final DLC character for the game like they did for Bayonetta in 4, I'm not calling it quits until then.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I don't understand why we're taking his DLC comments as gospel when he's said every single Smash game he's made will be his last and that there was no possible way that you could fit any more content than Brawl in a video game

He's also said that Villager didn't "lend himself to fighting" and that Ridley was too big. He announced them as the first newcomers twice in a row.
Did you forget about the fact that he was essentially threatened by Iwata to come back for Brawl?

Sakurai had left Hal and was doing his own thing and he was essentially the man behind Smash even then. Iwata announced the game an E3 pre-event and Sakurai learned that the game he made into a legend was getting a sequel when we all did. Iwata admits in an Iwata Asks that he basically threatened to end the good name of Smash if Sakurai didn't agree. Imagine making something you loved and it became a hit, but you wanted to move on and do other things, and then a giant corporation comes to you and says 'Hey, come back and do that thing you did again but better, or we will ruin your legacy.'

I don't know about you, but I would jump on the development train in a heartbeat, although begrudgingly.

He does always plan on retiring. You want to know why he doesn't. Two reasons:

1. We as consumers will not let him.
  2. By proxy of consumer demand, Nintendo will not let him.
And yes, sure, you can say 'Well, you can just hand it off to someone else. He doesn't HAVE to keep coming back to Smash Bros.' to which my response is while that is true, have you ever created something and handed it off to someone else and had the worry that they will **** it up? If you have ever felt that way, imagine being the man who made Smash Bros and passing that on to someone else and having to worry if they will **** it up. However, if you never let anyone else take over it and keep at the wheel, you can make sure no one ever ****s it up.

Every time he is interviewed on it, it's clear that he is happy that we love the product, but he is tired of the investment and increasing lack of control he has over his own series.

Personally, I don't think it's up to him to make more DLC or not. If Nintendo wants it, the Smash team will do it. I think it all depends on how well the Fighter Pass sells after everyone is revealed for it.
Keep in mind that Sakurai is part of that team, and while he may be less stressed, he likely still has some stress he is going through. Also, this is what I mean by getting people to realize what is going on: Sakurai is not nearly in as much control as we would hope. Nintendo made the DLC call before the dev team new about it and MADE it happen. Nintendo MADE the Fighter's Pass happen despite Sakurai not liking the idea and the MADE SURE that the fighters were hidden and not revealed all at once for ****ty marketing despite Sakurai not liking this kind-of shady tactic.

Sakurai likely had no say in who was picked for DLC other than 'I can't make this happen' and nothing more than that.

I would say prepare yourselves for what Nintendo thinks are good DLC picks. Joker was a very good one for most of us, but going forward it may be less appealing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Reminder that Sakurai said he wants to do as much as he can with Ultimate.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Reminder that Sakurai said he wants to do as much as he can with Ultimate.
I think we have a small chance for a second Fighter's Pass, but I don't think Sakurai will be forced to make another one if he doesn't want to.

It's hard to say if Nintendo would want it to be continued with another director. They have a lot of respect for the guy. As did Iwata.

D

Deleted member

I think we have a small chance for a second Fighter's Pass, but I don't think Sakurai will be forced to make another one if he doesn't want to.

It's hard to say if Nintendo would want it to be continued with another director. They have a lot of respect for the guy. As did Iwata.
Yeah, I think we'll get more DLC after this wave, whether it be full fighter passes or just separate DLC. Plus, aren't there more people who help develop DLC? If there are, I think that could take a big weight off Sakurai's shoulders in the development for further DLC.

But yeah, at this point, it could definitely go either way, though personally I'm still leaning towards more DLC after this wave.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I think we'll get more DLC after this wave, whether it be full fighter passes or just separate DLC. Plus, aren't there more people who help develop DLC? If there are, I think that could take a big weight off Sakurai's shoulders in the development for further DLC.

But yeah, at this point, it could definitely go either way, though personally I'm still leaning towards more DLC after this wave.
I think a few Echoes seem reasonable. A small bit that doesn't take too much time. And don't have stages, may have music, and may have extra spirits.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
For all that we've learned about Sakurai, we don't know if he's grooming a successor. I'd think not, as he would likely try to make him more or less a public figure to endear the fans to him. But who knows? That would be the most interesting thing to me.
Wanting does not equal thinking it's likely.
Did you forget about the fact that he was essentially threatened by Iwata to come back for Brawl?

Sakurai had left Hal and was doing his own thing and he was essentially the man behind Smash even then. Iwata announced the game an E3 pre-event and Sakurai learned that the game he made into a legend was getting a sequel when we all did. Iwata admits in an Iwata Asks that he basically threatened to end the good name of Smash if Sakurai didn't agree. Imagine making something you loved and it became a hit, but you wanted to move on and do other things, and then a giant corporation comes to you and says 'Hey, come back and do that thing you did again but better, or we will ruin your legacy.'

I don't know about you, but I would jump on the development train in a heartbeat, although begrudgingly.

He does always plan on retiring. You want to know why he doesn't. Two reasons:

1. We as consumers will not let him.
  2. By proxy of consumer demand, Nintendo will not let him.
And yes, sure, you can say 'Well, you can just hand it off to someone else. He doesn't HAVE to keep coming back to Smash Bros.' to which my response is while that is true, have you ever created something and handed it off to someone else and had the worry that they will **** it up? If you have ever felt that way, imagine being the man who made Smash Bros and passing that on to someone else and having to worry if they will **** it up. However, if you never let anyone else take over it and keep at the wheel, you can make sure no one ever ****s it up.

Every time he is interviewed on it, it's clear that he is happy that we love the product, but he is tired of the investment and increasing lack of control he has over his own series.

Keep in mind that Sakurai is part of that team, and while he may be less stressed, he likely still has some stress he is going through. Also, this is what I mean by getting people to realize what is going on: Sakurai is not nearly in as much control as we would hope. Nintendo made the DLC call before the dev team new about it and MADE it happen. Nintendo MADE the Fighter's Pass happen despite Sakurai not liking the idea and the MADE SURE that the fighters were hidden and not revealed all at once for ****ty marketing despite Sakurai not liking this kind-of shady tactic.

Sakurai likely had no say in who was picked for DLC other than 'I can't make this happen' and nothing more than that.

I would say prepare yourselves for what Nintendo thinks are good DLC picks. Joker was a very good one for most of us, but going forward it may be less appealing.
That's just capitalism for you. Sakurai's walking a thin line of compromise between his creative vision, his personal wants and the realities of the business. Eventually he might have to make a decision between keeping making Smash as he wants and relinquishing control to someone else.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

We can bring up how much Sakurai changes his mind from game to game, but he rarely contradicts himself during the same game. He changes his mind over time, and we could potentially benefit from DLC being another success story of convincing Sakurai otherwise, but mentioning it in a book he just released definitely puts it closer to the current game and events that are currently going on. Villager didn't make it into Brawl, neither did Pac-Man. Ridley was pretty damn popular and requested, but he stayed as a stage boss for all of Smash 4's lifespan despite the year of DLC. Like I said, I can't really think of an instance where his mind really changed on such subjects during the same cycle. For all intensive purposes, there's no better gospel to take than Sakurai's during each specific game's development.

We'll see, and I certainly hope we'll see more DLC in the future beyond the Fighter's Pass (assuming Sakurai is a willing participant in such content and hasn't been forced to do more/has been replaced), but like I've mentioned before, I make a hard line between my wants and my predictions/discussions about chances. And right now, the latter side isn't super hopeful for additional DLC based upon the more recent comments.

D

Deleted member

One thing I have to say about SMRPG is how, with Mack and Exor, the actual character is a small part of the weapon/figure, like Mack actually being the little jackalantern man on the pogo knife and Exor being the sword handle, not the rest of the sword.

It's just really funny.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly, I've been expecting no more DLC beyond the Fighter Pass (and whatever Mii Costumes they release in that time) for a while now, and these comments from Sakurai solidify that for me. I won't call it impossible until we get confirmation from Nintendo that it's the case, but at the same time, I am interested to see what Sakurai could do outside the Smash franchise, and conversely, what a fresh pair of eyes could do for Smash, so I'm not too bummed at all about this.

D

Deleted member

One thing I have to say about SMRPG is how, with Mack and Exor, the actual character is a small part of the weapon/figure, like Mack actually being the little jackalantern man on the pogo knife and Exor being the sword handle, not the rest of the sword.

It's just really funny.
You know, in an SMRPG remake, they could further highlight these things.

But I will never get over ****ing Neosquid of all names for the mouth of the sword.

D

Deleted member

I mean, it does look like a squidface.
Well it does....

Actually wait.

A squid sword is a character in SMRPG.

We have a squid in Smash.

Neosquid's gonna be revealed as an Inkling echo.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
We can bring up how much Sakurai changes his mind from game to game, but he rarely contradicts himself during the same game.
I know everyone is obsessed with trying to find 'rules' to the way Sakurai's mind works but this right here is an Everest sized stretch

He's never had the opportunity to contradict himself during the same game. Smash 4 DLC was done when he said Ridley was unfeasible and Brawl didn't have DLC. I have no idea what point you're trying to make here

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know everyone is obsessed with trying to find 'rules' to the way Sakurai's mind works but this right here is an Everest sized stretch

He's never had the opportunity to contradict himself during the same game. Smash 4 DLC was done when he said Ridley was unfeasible and Brawl didn't have DLC. I have no idea what point you're trying to make here
Ridley is not the only character he could've upgraded. There's a buttload of AT's in that game. He had an entirely different gameplan, and it didn't include characters who already had in-game roles.

He has yet to contradict himself at all. We have little reason to believe this will change. Of course it can change, but there's no convincing reason why so far. He's satisfied with a character's position(AT, etc.). What reason would he have to change that? Remember that the ballot was already used for Ultimate, so any AT's were already taken into consideration beforehand. If a character was even considered(if Polarpanda is to be believed, Isaac wasn't even considered as an idea for playable, which already says a lot for how little regard he gives Golden Sun. He gave them a small amount of content this time, at least).

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
Well it does....

Actually wait.

A squid sword is a character in SMRPG.

We have a squid in Smash.

Neosquid's gonna be revealed as an Inkling echo.
Are you implying Exor's disembodied mouth is going to be running around (...floating around?) spiting ink at everyone

because that's terrifying and I'm here for it

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, he changes his mind all the time. While nothing seems to indicate that ATs can/can't be upgraded into DLC characters at all, the frequency of fan rules being broken casts a lot of doubt. It just depends on whether or not they're willing to make it work. In the end though, we just don't know if anything will come of it..

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, he changes his mind all the time. While nothing seems to indicate that ATs can/can't be upgraded into DLC characters at all, the frequency of fan rules being broken casts a lot of doubt. It just depends on whether or not they're willing to make it work. In the end though, we just don't know if anything will come of it..
He's never changed his mind within the same game and applied it. It's still a very consistent mindset. That's the point being gotten at. He sticks to his guns through the full game cycle, with no indication he'll be swayed. Any ideas he has has been implemented in the next game for characters who are already in a specific kind of NPC role(as it clearly depends the context in this regard. Like we still see a form of Toon Link on Spirit Train, but he's also a previous veteran. We still see Duck Hunt on the Duck Hunt stage... but one's a sprite as is. Also, Duck Hunt, the character, was in the Smash game before the stage if you want to get even more technical. Donkey Kong is a stage hazard, yet only in sprite form. It's also notable that Toon Link is removed from the stage if you play as him or Link in 4. I didn't check in Ultimate, but if that was changed, it's not an inconsistency within a single game's life cycle, which have, again, been very consistent with his statements. Incidentally King Dedede's cameo in Dream Land 64 is removed if he is playable, for... some reason. For sure they remove characters in NPC roles from stages if the current playable character would get confused with them, as that would disrupt gameplay. However, they don't get removed unless they're easily replaceable unless they're entirely removed altogether in special cases like 8-Player Mode. That's the only time Ridley leaves. Notice how Pyrosphere is not a stage in Ultimate? Seems like there's a lot of consistencies going on, they're just not as vague as people are saying. They're a lot more specific in how he does things).

Some might think of Chrom as an exception, but he's not. He was decided to be playable in Smash Ultimate on the original product plan. We don't know why he's still a Final Smash. Probably was just easier to do since the game didn't have a lot of time to be made and the faster/efficient Final Smashes made his role fit the bell well. But characters who were already NPC's well before that(before DLC, basically) stayed NPC's. There's little reason to believe it'll change. He's consistently proven that. Of course it's not impossible for an AT upgrade, but it's really hard to expect that right now. We solely have one game to go off, but also his statement about AT's being those characters who just couldn't make it in as playable.

Besides that, you might need to explain these so-called inconsistencies, especially since everything is done with a reason.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Whoo, so I had a whole weekend havin' a sleepover with my bestie, and... yeah, I missed quite a bit. Geno's not out yet, but his chances are significantly smaller.

That said, though, he hasn't been on my mind at all. Sakurai has been. I'm honestly appalled at how much this man goes through, and I hope that if Nintendo continues to push their pro-DLC business model, they allow Sakurai as much leeway to take it easy as possible. Those people are going to work him into an early grave at this rate. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom