• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh man I totally forgot about that. Good point.

New edgy Pinocchio remake starring Geno coming right up!
marionasty1.png
Edgy you say?

Joking aside, SMRPG with a whole new set of graphics/models could be interesting.

... Because I'm stupid and being stuck in bed, feeling like my gut is being gouged out, has destroyed my final brain cell. :foe!:
Hope you feel better soon, man. Enjoy the above image otherwise of another marionette/doll-type creature.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Okay so I have this huge post coming in soon tackling how ridiculous people have gotten with the 'Erdrick is confirmed' crap and putting up an amazing argument for why DQ not only isn't confirmed for anything but also isn't a 'frontrunner' like many think.

However, that has to wait for this.

Insert yet another Smash Tuber who has no idea what they are talking about: Aaronitmar!

So I'm scrolling through my sub box and I noticed that one of the many smash tubers I subbed to during the pre-release hype has posted. It's Aaronitmar, who did a nice job covering all the Final Smash and alternate color references, so I decided to take a look. Turns out it's about his hopes for the next four DLC character, and boy has he lived in a vacuum this entire time?

So no offense, but this man is talking out his *** for most of what I watched of this video. So of course his wishlist isn't anything too crazy, and he leads off with Banjo & Kazooie, which is fair enough. However, he brings up Steve and Master Chief shortly after, and suggests that Steve is the best financial choice for Microsoft to make since it's one of their popular AND active properties. First off, you can't suggest that we know which one would be more successful, considering the larger fanbase for B&K and the fact that this fanbase perfectly fits the demographic of Smash Ultimate. Secondly, Master Chief was deconfirmed and Steve is on very shaky ground, so why are you even talking about them when it's clear you would rather have B&K? This is a 'DLC Wishlist' vid, not a 'DLC Wishlist and who I would accept if I didn't get who I wanted and how I feel about those other characters' vid. Thirdly, Nintendo and Sakurai come to THEM and tell THEM which character they want. No one has ever told them no if Reggie is to be believes (which I honestly DO believe because Sakurai is a man with and incredible legacy surrounding him and he knows the best choices to make for the game so I find it easy for him to 'rest his case' as it where. Plus, it's ****ing Smash Brothers...or better known as Nintendo All-Star Big Fight!) then if they waltz in and say 'We want Banjo' then the odds are high that they walk out with Banjo and a Master Chief hat and a Steve Mii Costume among other things.

His second is Sora (of course) and he believes that the 'Disney Issue' isn't an issue if Mickey, Donald and Goofy are in no way represented in Smash. He then suggests that, while first saying Sora is "practically a shoe in", Sora isn't ACTUALLY a shoe in because Dragon Quest exists and leakers said things n stuff. Okay so first off, Mickey and Friends CAN show up in Smash if that is what is chosen to be done. Mickey and Goofy have been referred to before in Brawl via that weird game timeline thing, and even just small references or having them show up in his Final Smash could be done just fine without opening any floodgates. However I must say I agree that Disney isn't an issue in any way and that Sora has enough going on in his home series to work out fine without any Disney references, but I would have to say not getting a Donald Goofy and Mickey Spirit would be a big missed opportunity and I would love to see a 'Trinity Limit' Spirit if possible. Now, this Dragon Quest **** needs to chill out man, it's getting super old. I'll address it more properly later, but the leakers he's referring to have been dead in the water for months now and have no credibility or not enough to matter. Can we PLEASE stop referring to leakers when it comes to DQ like it means something significant? It's like DQ doesn't have enough on it's own to push it to the forefront of debates or something...more on that later.

Then, of course, we get to Geno. And what is his opinion? Geno is dead, no chance at all. Allow me to quote him verbatim.

"As for Geno...I think all hope is lost for my boi. I'd love to see him in the game, and I don't believe that him as a Spirit means that he can't be in the game as a fighter, but I just don't think that he is going to BE a fighter. As much as Sakurai likes him, as much as he has sort of a cult following as a character AND a potential fighter in Smash, I just worry that he isn't notable enough to be added. Several characters were already added to Smash because of the Ballot. Specifically, Ridley, King K. Rool and the Belmonts. My fear is that there are too many of these black sheep characters who were voted in from the Ballot and THAT means that future characters from a similar category...couldn't be added. Now obviously Sakurai plays by his own rules. What he says goes and if it came down to it and he wanted to add Geno, Banjo, Steve, Master Chief and Cooking Mama...those are the characters we would see, but I think there is going to be a balance between old and new characters added and for Geno...I'm just worried that he is going to miss the cut."

I will let YOU guys break this down and share your thoughts. Keep in mind, he says ALL THIS, and then cuts to Rex and Pyra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and says "but we can't have ALL third-party characters."

EDIT: I realize that he isn't being mean about anything and is an alright guy, but after having to deal with people like LaxChris and WiiUGamer spreading nothing but fake garbage and others like Billybo giving ridiculous ratings without being up-to-date with information on characters it irks me into action now when I see someone talks about a topic and have little to no idea what they are talking about.
OK, this feels a bit like an unwarranted outburst against an almost entirely inoffensive video that is largely framed as personal opinion. He just gives his wish list and then talks about the way he sees things with regards to speculation. And honestly, the overwhelming majority of people don't pay the amount of attention a lot of us do here to every little announcement and not everyone interprets things in the same way, so none of it surprises or offends me on any level. Things like Frank O' Connor's Chief Tweet and Aubrey Norris' comments on Steve aren't exactly super common to hear about outside of the more hardcore Smash speculation boards. Frank's may be a lot more direct, but if you didn't know about it, I wouldn't blame you in the least bit for considering Chief (And to be honest, I'm not going to be one to count Chief out given how goddamn big and important he is. I'm mostly certain he's not coming since the Tweet is pretty definite, but he could show up at E3 as a "gotcha" and I wouldn't be surprised). Steve's situation is a little less conclusive and Aubrey's place in the company has been called into question if she would know more with Smash. Again, I generally agree that it does a number on his chances, but I know some people don't interpret it that way for whatever reason. Those aren't super well known things outside of the hardcore speculation communities is really what I can't stress enough.

The whole Steve thing also just feels like his perception of the issue. He may not be aware of how Smash characters are picked more specifically by Sakurai and if I'm being honest, if there was ever a time that Nintendo decided to debate character choices with a company, I think Microsoft would be the one given their status and wealth of potentially great IPs to use. Not that I expect that to be how things go, but I don't see how its such a huge stretch for someone less informed to maybe believe that. Especially when I agree with him on the point that Microsoft (Independent of Sakurai and everything) might personally be more interested in including Steve as a company since I think the logic of modern IP with a future might be more appealing to them on paper, especially when they're less inclined to know AS much about Smash given it's not their game. Though I do lean heavily towards us getting Banjo Kazooie at this point given that I do know that Sakurai has a clear say in things and I think Phil Spencer would be more than willing to do the heavy lifting at Microsoft even if people around him might not agree with his conclusion.

You said there wasn't really any issue with his "Sora" commentary and I agree.

I'm still going to fight you on Dragon Quest stuff (Surprise, surprise haha). I think it will always be a frontrunner for third party content given what the series is in Japan and actively represents while retaining a decent enough player base globally and also being heavily tied to Nintendo. I don't think that's ever going away to many people's potential irritation. And I also don't agree with dropping so many leakers. There are a few less problematic leakers that seem supportive of him, and just the fact his name has come up so often I still lean towards potentially meaning something. If Aaronitmar leans towards not being as down on leakers as some people and also sees the DQ legacy as something, I'm not surprised he ends up stating that things are likely in favor of DQ and Erdrick.

But yeah, this comes off as really harsh when he's not even projecting this as a distinct predictions video and is mostly just voicing his opinion throughout. He never claims to be any sort of authority on the matter, and I think it's crazy to expect every person who comments on Smash to be AS informed as we are (And we're not always that informed to begin with TBH). It's not like he has "little to no knowledge" on Smash, he actually sounds pretty knowledgeable and well informed if you're relying on the more general news cycle like I suspect he does. And it's also just Smash, this isn't some massive issue where its paramount to be so well informed to begin with.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
View attachment 212338Edgy you say?

Joking aside, SMRPG with a whole new set of graphics/models could be interesting.

Hope you feel better soon, man. Enjoy the above image otherwise of another marionette/doll-type creature.
Thank you! I will be fine around the weekend, no worries. This isn't the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. I'm used to it. :p Chronic issues suck, though.

As for SMRPG with new graphics and models, I could really see them going for a claymation style a la Kirby and the Rainbow Curse + Link's Awakening. Go with Rainbow Curse's style alongside LA's fluidity. That would be gorgeous.

D

Deleted member

Actually wait

Super Mario RPG x Pinnochio

Pinnochio: "Wh-who are you?"
Geno: "I am the star spirit whose purpose is to regather the seven stars to rebuild star road."
Pinnochio: "Oooh, I can help with that!"
Geno: "Uhhhhhhhhhhh....." (long pause)

To be continued....

Last edited by a moderator:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Geno the Kingdom Hearts rep.

Man Kingdom Hearts sure is getting a lot of reps in smash this time around....for some reason none of them being Sora.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
What is the origin of your username? On the first day of freshmen year of high school, my English teacher told me I looked too happy to be at school, and since then he's given me the nickname Beast. Whenever he'd see me in the hallway, he'd shout "BEEEEAAAST" at me.

Nartic

Smash Cadet
If P5R's girl comes to Smash, her clothes are likely to be altered. Just like they covered Female Corrin's thigh.
But I don't know if Atlus will allow it.

D

Deleted member

What is the origin of your username? On the first day of freshmen year of high school, my English teacher told me I looked too happy to be at school, and since then he's given me the nickname Beast. Whenever he'd see me in the hallway, he'd shout "BEEEEAAAST" at me.
Mine is just my name lol

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If P5R's girl comes to Smash, her clothes are likely to be altered. Just like they covered Female Corrin's thigh.
But I don't know if Atlus will allow it.
I was thinking maybe she could get away with it. The reson she is wearing a leotard is because of her athletic background, as well as her seemingly being a dancer. If there is justification, perhaps it could go unchanged. Peach, Daisy and Rosalina all wore something similar for the Olympic games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I got a crapload of usernames for this site. I'll go over a few important ones;

HyperFalcon. Big fan of Captain Falcon, and used an avatar of him being pure golden coloring. Incidentally he now has that exact costume. I used his Green/Gold costume otherwise via Team Colors in Smash 64.

TheRealIrene. Cause Irene was taken. Irene is the female name my boyfriend gave to me online and stuck since.

Chinderblock. Cause Simon Belmont has a large chin in Captain N and is a real blockhead. Not as much as the Tetris citizens, though.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Your name suddenly makes a lot more sense heh...

It's actually my designer name I first made up during high school. For the longest time griffins have been my favorite things ever and constantly drew them in all my school notebooks. It ended up being be my preferred name/nickname irl.

The Ani part stands for "animation" since I love animation of all kinds and my dream is to eventually create my own animated series/graphic novel series. So I shortened it to Ani, slapped it on Griffin and today the Anigriffin stands before you! :Epic entrance music plays:

I think it's kinda funny how Ani became my nickname both on here and in Laxcord. I'm not complaining, I just find it super interesting and I actually really like it. :3

TheBeastHimself

I got a crapload of usernames for this site. I'll go over a few important ones;

HyperFalcon. Big fan of Captain Falcon, and used an avatar of him being pure golden coloring. Incidentally he now has that exact costume. I used his Green/Gold costume otherwise via Team Colors in Smash 64.

TheRealIrene. Cause Irene was taken. Irene is the female name my boyfriend gave to me online and stuck since.

Chinderblock. Cause Simon Belmont has a large chin in Captain N and is a real blockhead. Not as much as the Tetris citizens, though.
I laughed so hard at the Chinderblock one lol!

I actually got a question for you if you don't mind. I just noticed you've been on this site since 2001. I haven't been keeping up with Smash since then, and I was wondering, has Smash speculation changed over the years? And if so, how? I've always been curious about how speculation went back then and I've never had a chance to talk to anyone who was around then.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Stating that Phoenix Wright has anything going for him or has more going for him than Geno invalidates anything else you could say, even with that disclaimer of bias
Very hard disagree on this one.
The Charlie Brown catchphrase. The numbers are 14 (my favorite number) and 7 (half of 14 and my favorite single digit number) in reverse.

TheBeastHimself

Your name suddenly makes a lot more sense heh...

It's actually my designer name I first made up during high school. For the longest time griffins have been my favorite things ever and constantly drew them in all my school notebooks. It ended up being be my preferred name/nickname irl.

The Ani part stands for "animation" since I love animation of all kinds and my dream is to eventually create my own animated series/graphic novel series. So I shortened it to Ani, slapped it on Griffin and today the Anigriffin stands before you! :Epic entrance music plays:

I think it's kinda funny how Ani became my nickname both on here and in Laxcord. I'm not complaining, I just find it super interesting and I actually really like it. :3
No way, I got a friend at school named Griffin. Now that I really think about it, it is a pretty cool sounding name. Also, when I was in 10th grade, my dream was to become an animator for cartoons! I was obsessed with Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and DBZ and would draw all that **** all the time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I laughed so hard at the Chinderblock one lol!

I actually got a question for you if you don't mind. I just noticed you've been on this site since 2001. I haven't been keeping up with Smash since then, and I was wondering, has Smash speculation changed over the years? And if so, how? I've always been curious about how speculation went back then and I've never had a chance to talk to anyone who was around then.
A lot of speculation has changed, but I wasn't much into it from the start as I saw nothing about the Melee thoughts. I wasn't among that part of the forums. I only had my own thoughts on Melee, in which I made a fun CSS... which actually had a decent amount of characters eventually be correct; MegaMan, Sonic, Ridley, technically Dark Link did show up as an NPC. I did list two FF characters, being Garland and Diablos, but I don't think I played FFVII yet? That or it was cause I honestly didn't get into the game, as the beginning was off-putting(throwing you into battle instead of an easier part that relaxes you into the game mechanics). I never cared for Cloud, though I like Aerith and Sephiroth. I also was a lot younger, and had more bias towards things. To say the least, a big thing that changed is that I felt Cloud was the obvious FF choice before he was ever revealed. I was once asked who I thought was more likely; Cloud or Brian. I easily replied Cloud. ...Within the year, our FF protagonist was announced. Though to be fair, when you compare a gaming icon to an obscure and rather unknown(and as much as a Geno joke is fitting, he isn't nearly as obscure as Brian is), it's not hard to figure out who is more likely. It's a similar reason why I think Steve is more likely than Banjo.

TheBeastHimself

A lot of speculation has changed, but I wasn't much into it from the start as I saw nothing about the Melee thoughts. I wasn't among that part of the forums. I only had my own thoughts on Melee, in which I made a fun CSS... which actually had a decent amount of characters eventually be correct; MegaMan, Sonic, Ridley, technically Dark Link did show up as an NPC. I did list two FF characters, being Garland and Diablos, but I don't think I played FFVII yet? That or it was cause I honestly didn't get into the game, as the beginning was off-putting(throwing you into battle instead of an easier part that relaxes you into the game mechanics). I never cared for Cloud, though I like Aerith and Sephiroth. I also was a lot younger, and had more bias towards things. To say the least, a big thing that changed is that I felt Cloud was the obvious FF choice before he was ever revealed. I was once asked who I thought was more likely; Cloud or Brian. I easily replied Cloud. ...Within the year, our FF protagonist was announced. Though to be fair, when you compare a gaming icon to an obscure and rather unknown(and as much as a Geno joke is fitting, he isn't nearly as obscure as Brian is), it's not hard to figure out who is more likely. It's a similar reason why I think Steve is more likely than Banjo.
Interesting. Why was Cloud the obvious choice? My FF knowledge is rather limited, and I've always just assumed FFVII was the most popular in the series. Also, I get what you're saying with Steve and Banjo, but I feel like others would argue that Banjo is popular enough to be more likely than Steve. Do you think you could elaborate on that point a bit more? (Sorry, I'm not trying to interrogate you by the way.)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
No way, I got a friend at school named Griffin. Now that I really think about it, it is a pretty cool sounding name. Also, when I was in 10th grade, my dream was to become an animator for cartoons! I was obsessed with Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and DBZ and would draw all that **** all the time.
Pretty cool looking creatures too. My fave animals are birds and cats. Mix them together? That's pretty much the best thing ever in my opinion.

1556166452988.png

Oh man I actually imagined and drew out some of the Gravity Falls cast as gems in the world of SU. Even made some fusions too. Now that I think about it, maybe I should do that with Mother characters because that actually sounds really fun.

There's also Bill Ciphers all over my notebooks from my Freshman year in College lmao.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Interesting. Why was Cloud the obvious choice? My FF knowledge is rather limited, and I've always just assumed FFVII was the most popular in the series. Also, I get what you're saying with Steve and Banjo, but I feel like others would argue that Banjo is popular enough to be more likely than Steve. Do you think you could elaborate on that point a bit more? (Sorry, I'm not trying to interrogate you by the way.)
FFVII is a pretty revolutionary game in RPG history. Cloud himself is the most popular FF protagonist as well, outshining everyone else by far. It's the first 3D FF game as well of note, made Limit Break a full thing, which got reused in similar ways in later games, and had a huge impact for the PlayStation. Coupled with it not being on the N64, which was a huge deal(the game was even planned to be on the 64 too) and it's memorable for the divide between Square-Enix and Nintendo as well as it being a huge game in history by far.

Steve is easily more popular overall as a character, due to being a far bigger gaming icon. He's not as popular as a Smash choice in itself, but that's a Smash bubble thing to some degree. There's no question that Banjo has more general requests. People have wanted him in Smash for a long time. But when it comes to the more iconic guy, Steve outshines him by far. Minecraft had a far bigger impact than B-K did respectively. One defined a genre entirely. The other was more of a major impact for a very specific era of gaming, and there's no denying B-K is rather important for the N64's history. I wouldn't say so much for Nintendo's own history, but I can understand why he's a more favorable choice for many. They don't want gaming icons. They want gaming icons that relate to Nintendo alone. This is part of why Cloud and Joker got backlash as is. Mind you, 3rd party gaming icons in context.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
You know, I'm bored as heck and honestly curious, all while being stuck and bedridden and feeling like honest to god tripe.

T TriggerX I remember saying you weren't very worried about Geno, despite everything pointing against him, even if we get Erdrick or another SE rep in the Fighter's Pass. I've always wanted to ask why and I never got the chance to. I'm honestly curious why anyone has hope at this point, not because I think it's unrealistic or silly to have hope, but as someone with a different perspective.
Call it a hunch.

1. Is he relevant?

No,not at all and it’s a good thing. Smrpg isn’t a relevant game and hasn’t been one for years. People need to keep in mind that Geno is a character who appeared in one game and wasn’t the main focus of it like Banjo and Kazooie. But despite this, Geno comes up quite a bit. That’s what makes him such a stand out character.

2. Is he interesting enough?

Geno brings timed mechanics into smash.Like most 3rd party characters Sakurai tends to use for Smash there needs to be a unique gimmick that can be translated over.
He doesn’t overlap with too many characters,except potentially megaman. Even then, it’s not like he can’t have your standard punches and kicks.

I personally think Geno would be more interesting than a DQ character. I’ve only played DQ8(orange bandana guy?) but as far as the overall character is concerned, there is nothing a DQ character can add that hasn’t been covered by Link,Cloud, and Pokemon Trainer. Or the hundreds of FE characters.
Trance is basically Limit, Taming monsters is PT, Link has a boomerang, a sword, etc..

Unfortunately though, Square isn’t going to just hand over Geno unless there is some kind of gain for them.
My guess, Nintendo had to ensure that another character would be part of the fighters pass first.

3. Previous characters, Interviews,and polls.

In an interview Sakurai mentioned he wanted Geno in as far back as Brawl. So this is good news. From his previous track record, there were characters like Wario and Sonic he wanted in Melee that were not included due to time constraints. However they appeared in the next installment of the series.

We also have to keep in mind, that third party characters weren’t really a thing until we got Cloud, bayonetta,and megaman. Sonic ,Snake , and megaman were all considered special cases as noted in another interview. Sakurai even mentions that more third party characters were unlikely.That notion has definitely been set aside for Ultimate.

So on the bright side what this shows is that Sakurai has a decent record of putting characters in the next installment if there were obstacles for the previous game.

Geno will likely be a similar case, however he does have a little bit more red tape in front of him than characters like Snake whose creator seemed to have approached Sakurai in some form. So I would expect his inclusion to take a little longer.

4. Square Enix

This is an assumption,but I would say Square doesn’t care about the character. Cloud is one thing, but Geno is a property that is useless to them unless Nintendo wants to use him. What I mean is they probably aren’t overly concerned with how the character is represented, whether that be as a spirit or playable.
They would never use the character’s likeness outside of the Mario series, so there’s no gain for them holding the character back.

Bare minimum, they would ask for royalties and not some ridiculous amount of money.If the character was playable it would probably be under a condition involving another square character they could actually promote.

5. Time and Resources

I’ve mentioned this before, but Geno is really the most complete character that is not in the game. His costume already incorporates a majority of his main features. As far as 3D modeling goes the only major thing that needs to be modeled is his face. He is a humanoid type character which means rigging and animating the character is easier as well as considering all the “base templates” that could be used. (Mario, Megaman, and Mii Gunner for starters)
Overall most of the resources in the game could turn Geno into a complete character with less work than most.These reused assets will dramatically reduce development time for the character.

6. He is a spirit.

People have said it before, but mewtwo and Lucas were trophies before becoming DLC. Same case could be made for Geno.
Because of the whole game dealing with spirits, I doubt Sakurai is going to waste the most opportune time to introduce a character who effectively started off as a spirit to possessing a doll.

And I would not be too surprised if they make that connection via whatever bio he gets.

Why wouldn’t he make it?

Potentially Time Constraints. If other characters take priority Genos development and there isn’t a season 2 dlc pack I could see this being an issue.

square wanting too much money seems to always be the reason most people give. But I doubt this is the case. Once again, they’d have an opportunity to make money off a character that would normally be sitting in a vault and of no value to them.

At this point, I doubt there are any reasonable characters that Sakurai would be denied for. Smash really is a chance for promotion, although I’m sure companies as big as square and Sega have their own agendas to push as well.

And as far as who holds the biggest bargaining chip at the table, I’d say it’s easily Nintendo.

The crazy Theory
First season we will pretty much get mostly third parties.
Namco Bandai and Square are likely to get more representation. With the square dlc we’ll likely see a Chocobo hat and Geno costume bundled with it.

However I don’t think this will deconfirm him though. I actually believe he’ll just get a more detailed if not updated costume for second season dlc when it’s mostly First Party Series.

Hopefully if he does receive a new costume it’s designed by Tetsuya Nomura. Wouldn’t be too close to impossible considering that smash mural he did a while back.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Unfortunately though, Square isn’t going to just hand over Geno unless there is some kind of gain for them.
My guess, Nintendo had to ensure that another character would be part of the fighters pass first.
Citation needed on this one. They already just handed over Geno to Smash- twice.

You need to explain why you are certain that they'll blackmail Sakurai just because he's a fighter instead of a Spirit or a Mii costume.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm happy to see another person who would be super excited about Jill. I like that lady a lot.
Wouldn’t Leon be the better RE rep? I say this not because I have an issue with Jill, but rather because Leon gets to represent the best of RE in multiple eras. RE2 as a sort of better version of the original game and RE4 as the third person shooter that went on to influence basically everything that third person shooters have been since. I know 2 gets a lot of praise and people claim 4 to be the best game on the Gamecube and of the generation. Plus, RE2 and RE4 are the only entries or originally release on a Nintendo console (and Revelations).

I mean, I fundamentally don’t care that much about who we might get as a potential RE rep, but I’ve just always been under the impression that Leon specifically represents a lot more with Nintendo and RE history given 4’s general pedigree (Even if he seems like a bit of a moody ***** to me at sometimes haha).

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Literally the first thing that popped into my head when I thought of an online handle ages ago. The rest is history.

Granted, I did have a few usernames before that that are much too cringeworthy to repeat here, but Ze Diglett was the first name I thought up for myself that I liked enough to stick with.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn’t Leon be the better RE rep? I say this not because I have an issue with Jill, but rather because Leon gets to represent the best of RE in multiple eras. RE2 as a sort of better version of the original game and RE4 as the third person shooter that went on to influence basically everything that third person shooters have been since. I know 2 gets a lot of praise and people claim 4 to be the best game on the Gamecube and of the generation. Plus, RE2 and RE4 are the only entries or originally release on a Nintendo console (and Revelations).

I mean, I fundamentally don’t care that much about who we might get as a potential RE rep, but I’ve just always been under the impression that Leon specifically represents a lot more with Nintendo and RE history given 4’s general pedigree (Even if he seems like a bit of a moody ***** to me at sometimes haha).
I thought the same thing for quite a while, Leon has quite the pedigree. RE2 and its remake are possibly my favorite games in the series. RE4 is also fantastic, but that's about where action movie RE started, which I have a fair share of problems with.

I feel that classic RE is far more important to what the series is. Leon could represent that just fine, but there's no better character for that era than Jill Valentine. Also, it's always nice to get more girls on the roster, and Jill's one of the best female protagonists in the industry.

I love my Leon and I'd love to see him (moody? I didn't play RE6 so I'm not sure what he's like in that but he's a giant dork in both RE2 and 4), but I think Jill has a bit more staying power.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I thought the same thing for quite a while, Leon has quite the pedigree. RE2 and its remake are possibly my favorite games in the series. RE4 is also fantastic, but that's about where action movie RE started, which I have a fair share of problems with.

I feel that classic RE is far more important to what the series is. Leon could represent that just fine, but there's no better character for that era than Jill Valentine. Also, it's always nice to get more girls on the roster, and Jill's one of the best female protagonists in the industry.

I love my Leon and I'd love to see him (moody? I didn't play RE6 so I'm not sure what he's like in that but he's a giant dork in both RE2 and 4), but I think Jill has a bit more staying power.
Moody might be the wrong word haha, I have almost no experience with RE outside of some co-op I played of 5 with a friend some years back and I can’t say I retained much of it. I’ve also played part of 7 with PSVR and would have played more if my VR legs had any strength to them.

And that probably equally colors my commentary, but it seems to me that RE4 has generally been considered he high point of the series and may actually be the more influential game overall given how niche the survival horror genre still is to this day. And Resident Evil seems to still take a lot fundamentally from that moving forward including the RE2 remake still utilizing the same over the shoulder aiming.

I guess it feels like Jill and Chris Redfield represent the original game mainly, whereas Leon gets to do a better job of representing BOTH major parts of RE. The horror angle may be more important to RE, but RE4 may be the more important game sort of thing. It’s fair to have issues with how the series fundamentally changed, but I know it also probabaly saved the series from what I’ve come to understand and while action-y is still survival horror to a major extent.

That said, I need to play more RE overall. It seems like a great series, and sadly my real experience with it comes from my roommate and I watching all the RE movies to be entertained for their horrible quality and writing haha.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Mine was just the first thing I saw on my desk when making my account, a food wrapper.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Moody might be the wrong word haha, I have almost no experience with RE outside of some co-op I played of 5 with a friend some years back and I can’t say I retained much of it. I’ve also played part of 7 with PSVR and would have played more if my VR legs had any strength to them.

And that probably equally colors my commentary, but it seems to me that RE4 has generally been considered he high point of the series and may actually be the more influential game overall given how niche the survival horror genre still is to this day. And Resident Evil seems to still take a lot fundamentally from that moving forward including the RE2 remake still utilizing the same over the shoulder aiming.

I guess it feels like Jill and Chris Redfield represent the original game mainly, whereas Leon gets to do a better job of representing BOTH major parts of RE. The horror angle may be more important to RE, but RE4 may be the more important game sort of thing. It’s fair to have issues with how the series fundamentally changed, but I know it also probabaly saved the series from what I’ve come to understand and while action-y is still survival horror to a major extent.

That said, I need to play more RE overall. It seems like a great series, and sadly my real experience with it comes from my roommate and I watching all the RE movies to be entertained for their horrible quality and writing haha.
RE4 is generally considered a high point, yes. What came after is... not. The consensus seems to be that RE lost its direction after RE4 (sans Revelations, which seems to be an exception), with the series only getting its mojo back recently with RE7, and RE2make (which does a great job of incorporating the RE4 shoulder aim into the classic style I might add). The classic trilogy and Code Veronica is more consistently praised highly overall when compared to the series post RE4.

RE5 is... dopey, although it's fun with a friend. Best part of that game is Wesker. I really recommend RE2make if the RE series is catching your fancy, I can't praise it enough for making RE2 accessible to a new crowd. I also recommend the originals and REmake if you're willing to put up with a bit of tank controls. Also again, RE4 is great despite the latter entries trying way too hard to be RE4. Haven't played RE7 so I can't say much, but I’ve heard nothing but praise for it.

TheBeastHimself

I started Chrono Trigger. I'm at the boss fight with Yakra in the Cathedral. There's a lot I like about the game so far. The art style is definitely pleasing, especially in certain areas with a sunset. I wasn't aware the SNES was capable of producing really nice looking graphics like that. The battling system is a lot of fun, and I'm getting the hang of pulling off techs. Each battle feels satisfying to win, like RPGs always should be. The soundtrack is another great feature. And, one of my party members is a ****ing frog named Frog with a sword. Yeah, I'd say so far, Chrono Trigger is amazing! It's definitely caught my attention, and I look forward to completing it!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I made mine back in 2001- I liked Professor E. Gadd from Luigi's Mansion, but I was sad there was no Gamecube Mario launch title. Thus, Egaddmario was born.

D

Deleted member

My username is just my first name, but I dropped the n out of it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My username was something dumb I came up with on the fly, just thinking of random names and using the first one that came to mind: Ovaltine. I tend to give my usernames more forethought, but I frankly didn't think I'd stick around at all. My anxieties and forums tend not to mix well.

Firox

Smash Master
Sorry that I'm late to the party, but I noticed a lot of people speculating as to whether or not any of the DLC will include semi-clones like Shadow or possibly Dixie. Now, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai specifically say at one point that there WOULDN'T be any more echoes? I thought he said that one of the few things he'd guarantee about the fighter pass was that every one of the characters would be totally unique. That's not to say that characters like Dixie COULDN'T be totally unique, but still, didn't he say no more echoes or is that just my subconscious desires telling me lies?

Oh, and I know that nobody really asked me for it, but yeah, my username "Firox" is in fact the portmanteau of "Fire" and "Fox" (a not-so-subtle throwback to my melee days). It's hilarious when I'm chatting with strangers online and their brains automatically read it as the full "FireFox".

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sorry that I'm late to the party, but I noticed a lot of people speculating as to whether or not any of the DLC will include semi-clones like Shadow or possibly Dixie. Now, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai specifically say at one point that there WOULDN'T be any more echoes? I thought he said that one of the few things he'd guarantee about the fighter pass was that every one of the characters would be totally unique. That's not to say that characters like Dixie COULDN'T be totally unique, but still, didn't he say no more echoes or is that just my subconscious desires telling me lies?
Oh yeah, definitely. That is exactly what he said. I think the speculation was more on the lines of extra echoes outside of the Fighter's Pass. The pass itself is going to be full of unique, new fighters, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom