• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I didn't play it, but i did watch the final battle out of morbid curiosity.

And all I gotta say is, well, people gotta start somewhere, I guess...
I think it's one of the finest roms for Earthbound fans, But it's hard af and that kicked me off when I was younger, guess I have to finish it someday cuz, I didn't watch the final boss until that morbid curiosity too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I never have Geno dreams like the rest of you guys. Or that many bad dreams. Just really weird or wholesome dreams.
I remember I had a dream about K. Rool fighting DK and Diddy in a cave in a reveal trailer for Smash when the Smash Ballot was going on almost 4 years ago. I'm very happy that my dream of K. Rool being in Smash is a reality now. Of course, the real reveal trailer was very different from the one in my dream. :)

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So I've been doing a lot of thinking and I think I've been able to put some things together that we've thought about separately but not coherently. Allow me to explain why I think we're getting Geno as DLC.

Geno and SMRPG have been popping up everywhere in the last two years and everyone has thought it's been strange right? Whether it's been in Smash 4 with the Mii Costume, the NoA artist's picture, Geno's name on Trivia during TGA, Ultimate with the icon, Japanese commercial nod for Piranha Plant, Megasmilax name drop and Geno and Mallow's spirits, to now Yoshi's Crafted World.

But everyone kinda forgot that these AREN'T coming out of nowhere - every SINGLE example has happened after the Smash Ballot. That's the key to this whole entire thing. The Smash Ballot. We already know it effected the newcomers for Ultimate. Sakurai himself said Ridley, K. Rool, and the Belmonts got in because of their presence on the ballot. And we saw a number of characters get Mii Costumes as consolation prizes in Smash 4 and appeared as newcomers in Ultimate- Isabelle, Chrom, Inkling, and K. Rool. These were directly from the Ballot, ESPECIALLY K. Rool's. We have it on good authority that Nintendo wasn't interested in using him again yet here we are.

So we as a community have to think- how well do we honestly believe Geno did on the Ballot? We know he did at least well enough to have a Mii Costume made, but do we think his presence made enough of a splash for Square to realize there's money to be made by including him as true CHARACTER DLC? Only time will tell, I suppose.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I've been doing a lot of thinking and I think I've been able to put some things together that we've thought about separately but not coherently. Allow me to explain why I think we're getting Geno as DLC.

Geno and SMRPG have been popping up everywhere in the last two years and everyone has thought it's been strange right? Whether it's been in Smash 4 with the Mii Costume, the NoA artist's picture, Geno's name on Trivia during TGA, Ultimate with the icon, Japanese commercial nod for Piranha Plant, Megasmilax name drop and Geno and Mallow's spirits, to now Yoshi's Crafted World.

But everyone kinda forgot that these AREN'T coming out of nowhere - every SINGLE example has happened after the Smash Ballot. That's the key to this whole entire thing. The Smash Ballot. We already know it effected the newcomers for Ultimate. Sakurai himself said Ridley, K. Rool, and the Belmonts got in because of their presence on the ballot. And we saw a number of characters get Mii Costumes as consolation prizes in Smash 4 and appeared as newcomers in Ultimate- Isabelle, Chrom, Inkling, and K. Rool. These were directly from the Ballot, ESPECIALLY K. Rool's. We have it on good authority that Nintendo wasn't interested in using him again yet he were are.

So we as a community have to think- how well do we honestly believe Geno did on the Ballot? We know he did at least well enough to have a Mii Costume made, but do we think his presence made enough of a splash for Square to realize there's money to be made by including him as true CHARACTER DLC? Only time will tell, I suppose.
I never thought about it this way. Whenever I saw an SMRPG reference, I just took it as a sign of Nintendo pushing the game, and, more specifically, Geno, back into the spotlight.

Now that you mention it, not only am I thinking that Nintendo is giving the game and the puppet more attention, but it could also be a sign that Geno did very well on the ballot - possibly a lot better than we originally thought.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

But everyone kinda forgot that these AREN'T coming out of nowhere - every SINGLE example has happened after the Smash Ballot. That's the key to this whole entire thing. The Smash Ballot. We already know it effected the newcomers for Ultimate. Sakurai himself said Ridley, K. Rool, and the Belmonts got in because of their presence on the ballot. And we saw a number of characters get Mii Costumes as consolation prizes in Smash 4 and appeared as newcomers in Ultimate- Isabelle, Chrom, Inkling, and K. Rool. These were directly from the Ballot, ESPECIALLY K. Rool's. We have it on good authority that Nintendo wasn't interested in using him again yet he were are.

You also can't forget that Super Mario-Kun released a SMRPG segment in 2016, directly after the ballot. It was in between the 3D World arc, and people found it to be very strange that we're only now getting that. SMK comes with Corocoro, I believe, and I can't imagine Square getting a large cut out of that.

Either Geno and Mallow's usage is cheaper than we thought, or Square isn't stingy at all when it comes to them... or both. It could also be a sign of an ironed-out deal. The ballot took place in 2015. In that year, Square and Nintendo could have hashed out something with copyright to make their usage easier. Who knows?

Also, keep an eye out if YCW has any notably copywritten SMRPG references. Yo'ster cookies aren't copywritten to Square, as the Yo'ster name belongs to Nintendo, but if anything else comes in, we'll need to see those credits for any Square Enix mentions. It'll give us a clue as to whether this is a reworked deal or a full obtainment of rights. Given the Smash situation, it's impossible to tell through that, given SE is involved anyway via Cloud. SE's copyrights and credits there are a blanket copyright for whatever properties they have that are present in the game.

That said, I sincerely doubt Nintendo has full rights. I'm sure they just adjusted some stuff, if anything.

D

Deleted member

You also can't forget that Super Mario-Kun released a SMRPG segment in 2016, directly after the ballot. It was in between the 3D World arc, and people found it to be very strange that we're only now getting that. SMK comes with Corocoro, I believe, and I can't imagine Square getting a large cut out of that.

Either Geno and Mallow's usage is cheaper than we thought, or Square isn't stingy at all when it comes to them... or both. It could also be a sign of an ironed-out deal. The ballot took place in 2015. In that year, Square and Nintendo could have hashed out something with copyright to make their usage easier. Who knows?

Also, keep an eye out if YCW has any notably copywritten SMRPG references. Yo'ster cookies aren't copywritten to Square, as the Yo'ster name belongs to Nintendo, but if anything else comes in, we'll need to see those credits for any Square Enix mentions. It'll give us a clue as to whether this is a reworked deal or a full obtainment of rights. Given the Smash situation, it's impossible to tell through that, given SE is involved anyway via Cloud. SE's copyrights and credits there are a blanket copyright for whatever properties they have that are present in the game.

That said, I sincerely doubt Nintendo has full rights. I'm sure they just adjusted some stuff, if anything.
And the Fight Against Monsters theme playing in a Nintendo store B bardbowman mentioned.

That's the most mind-blowing SMRPG reference to me

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes finally someone who agrees with me

thank you good grief
That meme is just wrong, somebody needs to speak up.

I think Geno probably did pretty good in the Ballot, but maybe not since apparently the Geno fandom was at a low point back then. All the Geno stuff right now could be due to the ballot, but it could also be Sakurai bias, and it could also be happenstance.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
That meme is just wrong, somebody needs to speak up.

I think Geno probably did pretty good in the Ballot, but maybe not since apparently the Geno fandom was at a low point back then. All the Geno stuff right now could be due to the ballot, but it could also be Sakurai bias, and it could also be happenstance.
Even though the fandom might not have been all it was, you have to remember- the ballot was advertised as being for Smash 4- Ridley already had a clear part in that game, what with being a boss on Pyrosphere. And he got enough votes to make it into Ultimate. I know I voted for him.

The Super Mario Kun is a huge point for him too. Why 20 years later? It reminds me of how Konami went back to the classic Simon design after 2015....

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Ever thought of making a list of everything you guys have found so far? List posts make things easier to digest.

Damn I should do the same for Ninten/Mother stuff.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, Sakurai did comment the he gets a lot of requests despite being an older character when talking about the Mii costume.
Interviewer and Sakurai said:
What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality.

Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?

Sakurai: That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Well, Sakurai did comment the he gets a lot of requests despite being an older character when talking about the Mii costume.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/
I like the part where he talks about the Flying Man costume and specifies that it's from Mother 1 and that not having the model doesn't mean he wouldn't have made a costume for the Mother series.

Also this was printed post ballot right? Fair to say that had an impact since K. Rool was a Mii costume and all.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
toby fox actually told me the truth about undertale...

turns out ness' dog king is actually temmie

D

Deleted member

Guys please

I can't take any more Mother = Undertale memes

Except the Ninten = Papyrus meme hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Yeah as someone already brought up if anyone can make a list of everything we know or hints towards Geno that really would be great. I myself would like to use it for a Write-Up if not I'll just skim through the Thread so it's not a huge deal

Ovaltine

Smash Master
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/02/rumour_pokemon_news_coming_soon_according_to_leaker

Is this the only actual soothsayer in the leaker scene?

"Why is Puppetmon in Smash Bros?"
Eh, not necessarily. It's not farfetched for them to have posted a bunch of predictions for the direct, and once it finished, deleted all of the ones that didn't come true. That said, we don't know this for sure, so this is something to take note of, even if with a massive grain of salt.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Eh, not necessarily. It's not farfetched for them to have posted a bunch of predictions for the direct, and once it finished, deleted all of the ones that didn't come true. That said, we don't know this for sure, so this is something to take note of, even if with a massive grain of salt.
Also Pokemon news is usually announced in February/March anyway so that's not really a bold prediction when that's what many of us were thinking.

D

Deleted member

Now I don't pay any more attention to new leakers, or even just leakers at all.

I ain't opening the door for new leakers, and I'm closing the door for leakers we already knew about

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also Pokemon news is usually announced in February/March anyway so that's not really a bold prediction when that's what many of us were thinking.
Meanwhile, a certain person thinks something will happen on the Digimon anniversary.

I feel pity for G, I really do, I wish reality would toss him a bone at this point.

Now I don't pay any more attention to new leakers, or even just leakers at all.

I ain't opening the door for new leakers, and I'm closing the door for leakers we already knew about
Glad I'm not alone on this one.
Good, all that's left is to tell the rest of the Internet to do the same and we should be golden.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Meanwhile, a certain person thinks something will happen on the Digimon anniversary.

I feel pity for G, I really do, I wish reality would toss him a bone at this point.

Good, all that's left is to tell the rest of the Internet to do the same and we should be golden.
So what are you waiting for go do it /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom