• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Some things to keep in mind:

-Zell said several people correctly guessed it but that doesn't mean their entire guess was accurate. For example, if I predict that there's a cow and a chicken (in your mom's lunchbox) behind a curtain and there's only a cow, technically I guessed it right. It's partially correct and that's all that matters

-Zell said it would annoy YouTube channels and "**** sites", which heavily implies a shadowdrop. Why? Become speculation videos and articles are view and click monsters and require minimal effort to make. No or little notice means people can't feast on that delicious ad and view revenue before the presentation

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
The Nintendo twitter account seems silent today. I normally don't pay attention to how often they tweet, but have they ever taken long to tweet something? Or take a week day off? I thought they usually tweet something around 10AM (ET)?

Edit: Woops, never mind, just saw it now. I don't know why it didn't come up when I refreshed..

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

-Zell said several people correctly guessed it but that doesn't mean their entire guess was accurate. For example, if I predict that there's a cow and a chicken (in your mom's lunchbox) behind a curtain and there's only a cow, technically I guessed it right. It's partially correct and that's all that matters

-Zell said it would annoy YouTube channels and "**** sites", which heavily implies a shadowdrop. Why? Become speculation videos and articles are view and click monsters and require minimal effort to make. No or little notice means people can't feast on that delicious ad and view revenue before the presentation
“**** sites”

what’s the censored word? Idk the context

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
“**** sites”

what’s the censored word? Idk the context
Probably a short version of the phrase "sugar honey ice tea" (really hope I don't get warned for censor-dodging), and Zell calls them that because he hates it when news sites make articles on his posts.

Last edited:

Naigumi

Smash Cadet

I think the "It makes the life of youtubers/****sites harder" part is just saying that the way he gave the information, which was pretty vague, makes harder to youtubers and sites to make their clickbaits articles and videos. I don't think is a hint...

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Zell said it would annoy YouTube channels and "**** sites", which heavily implies a shadowdrop. Why? Become speculation videos and articles are view and click monsters and require minimal effort to make. No or little notice means people can't feast on that delicious ad and view revenue before the presentation
I think that was referring to the way HE dropped the information - through a vague hint. He was going off at the sites in his previous posts because they made clickbait news articles out of every thing he posted and sometimes not reporting things accurately.
Edit: ninjas

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
To bring up what Rie Sonomura mentioned earlier again regarding maintenance periods in March, NintendoEverything ultimately archived every day of March there was maintenance, and this is what I've found: the 1st, 8th, 15th, and 22nd. The last of which was 4 days before the March Mini Direct

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To bring up what Rie Sonomura mentioned earlier again regarding maintenance periods in March, NintendoEverything ultimately archived every day of March there was maintenance, and this is what I've found: the 1st, 8th, 15th, and 22nd. The last of which was 4 days before the March Mini Direct
There’s also a detail to look out for: some said “network services MAY be unavailable” and others said “ALL network services WILL be unavailable”. Which ones said the latter?

MattX20

Smash Hero
There’s also a detail to look out for: some said “network services MAY be unavailable” and others said “ALL network services WILL be unavailable”. Which ones said the latter?
Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty finding screencaps for the March maintenance dates from the main site right now.

QQS

Smash Lord
52E35C7A-B77E-4CA1-8C33-890293A99854.png
D20CBC5A-2429-49E7-A46D-94C3B0AE063F.png
FCF74769-2A50-4693-8D48-DCDD65513EE4.png
6CB25958-C3A7-485B-93AB-43185536A4FD.png
9BC479AC-78FB-4DEB-8871-FACE868F30CD.png
5AA91D25-160B-4602-AD5B-506B850B0BAB.png
AFFF34C2-F352-4D88-B3D4-20E02BF29DE1.png
C29CA705-2EEE-47FE-935F-87363BDDDC63.png
25F2D1F7-E554-4C2C-AEBF-75B9724ABB15.png
0D5A5545-BC39-4B48-8E32-0E2D92A428D0.png
194695C1-6507-43F1-8389-F9661921D42C.png
62BAA37C-5C00-4A3C-ACD9-125313BEB7EF.png

_NINTENDO.ART_ DID IT AGAIN. ALL CREDITS FOR THE CREATOR on INSTAGRAM!

This is amazing! Geno is happening 100% as a Full Fighter very soon as DLC. He has so much in his favor like never before. 2 decades of Fan Demand, Missing Costume, Copyrighted Songs, Spirits officially do NOT deconfirm with the Min Min upgrade, Sakurai’s acknowledge and many more stuff. Also the character is perfect in terms of design and a fresh/fun moveset. The songs and stage will be amazing also. This character will make so much people happy, just like Ridley, KKR and Banjo-Kazooie did. Just wait and see: Geno Joins the Party! Geno Awakens! Geno Falls Down like a Star!

This is amazing, go check it my friends! Specially Fatmanonice Fatmanonice & papagenos papagenos and all the crew :)

link2702

Smash Champion
Me today : "SURELY Nintendo will finally reveal SOMETHING today, a date for the direct, shadow drop the reveal, SOMETHING. They have to know by now we're dying for news."

Nintendo : "Bethesda game sales and FEH retweet! Have fun!"

Me:

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
While I'm still trying to find information about which March Direct might've indicated whether all services are down (going by random articles I've seen are implying either the 15th or the 22nd), a new scheduled maintenance period showed up
1596566029157.png

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
View attachment 281261View attachment 281262View attachment 281263View attachment 281264View attachment 281265View attachment 281266View attachment 281267View attachment 281268View attachment 281269View attachment 281270View attachment 281271View attachment 281272

_NINTENDO.ART_ DID IT AGAIN. ALL CREDITS FOR THE CREATOR on INSTAGRAM!

This is amazing! Geno is happening 100% as a Full Fighter very soon as DLC. He has so much in his favor like never before. 2 decades of Fan Demand, Missing Costume, Copyrighted Songs, Spirits officially do NOT deconfirm with the Min Min upgrade, Sakurai’s acknowledge and many more stuff. Also the character is perfect in terms of design and a fresh/fun moveset. The songs and stage will be amazing also. This character will make so much people happy, just like Ridley, KKR and Banjo-Kazooie did. Just wait and see: Geno Joins the Party! Geno Awakens! Geno Falls Down like a Star!

This is amazing, go check it my friends! Specially Fatmanonice Fatmanonice & papagenos papagenos and all the crew :)
This is literally the best made/animated Geno moveset I've ever seen. Henceforth (or until Geno's actual reveal) this is now cannon to me.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
While I'm still trying to find information about which March Direct might've indicated whether all services are down (going by random articles I've seen are implying either the 15th or the 22nd), a new scheduled maintenance period showed up View attachment 281275
We've already gone through at least two maintenance periods... wonder how many more we'll have until Nintendo finally puts out that damn Direct?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Man that moveset artwork is hugely satisfying to look at. I always loved that about old game manuals that depicted artwork of characters performing their actions. Good times.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
For me, I’m starting to believe that the "Big" Direct is coming next week Tuesday or Wednesday:
  • First, we have the big maintenance in the last few weeks, with the one yesterday being 3+ hours long
  • Second, we have the Smash website glitch + the “New" tab disappeared 3 weeks ago: Based on past happenings and worst case scenario, it points to a Smash reveal next week at the latest.
  • Third, we have Japan's Holidays: 10 being Mountain Day and 13-16 being Obon): Nothing will happen on these days, so only 2 dates are possible for next week.
  • Fourth, there's the matter of the 3D Collection: Based on what I gauged from opinion, people are expecting a 9-11 retail release, but we know that 30 days are required for Japanese retail to sell a product.
  • Fifth, we have the financial release this Thursday: Nintendo has no new information outside of sales coming this Q2, so investors will be curious and ask about it, meaning that they will give some information on Thursday. I don’t expect game reveals or anything like that, but maybe when they’ll talk about all of this
  • Sixth, the Mario Celebration / Direct: We know that Nintendo had plans for a big celebration, but stuff didn't pan out so it released anyways (Merch, TOK, etc). The thing is that, if this presentation was indeed cancelled, why not announce the celebration already on Twitter and say "News coming in the Future", like Sonic did? Adding on to that, why not reveal 3D Collection in July, when we knew they couldn't do any presentations? Or even at the Treehouse made by NoA? It would fit with TOK's showcase... That's why I think 3D Collection it's tied to a presentation: it would be announced already otherwise.
  • Seventh, knowledge around this Direct: It started very early July, and, if we consider that it takes a month a half to put them together and they learned it based on the Deadline, we’ll get next week.
  • Saving the best for last, Jeff Grubb: He was the first to reveal some information about Mario's celebration and the March Direct dates (aside from Kelios). The date placement between August 11th and 22th is on purpose, but people are assuming this is only in the latter half of the month and there's problems that a post-Obon Direct brings:
    • 3D Collection wouldn't release 9-11 on retail, but people still think it's happening, so that goes against it
    • The "New" icon from the “Fighters” tab on the Smash website would’ve been removed too early
    • The website glitch would've been too early to relate to a reveal
    • The maintenance would've been too early, when we got the March Direct 4 days after the last one
    • Nintendo would leave investors in the dark for 2 weeks, leading to dips in the stock
    • Geno wouldn't be known and teased in the middle of July if the Direct was latter half of August
So, that leaves us with 2 dates for it to happen: August 11th or August 12th.

While I'm still trying to find information about which March Direct might've indicated whether all services are down (going by random articles I've seen are implying either the 15th or the 22nd), a new scheduled maintenance period showed up View attachment 281275
I think this may relate not to the Direct, but to Smash DLC (meaning that #7 is really close to release). It could even mean a Sakurai Presents right after the Next Direct (or be unrelated to all of that, but it's fun to speculate about!).

Also, Happy Birthday Sigran101 Sigran101 !

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth ... Marionet.
"Oh, Ok.....so are you gonna teach me how to keep my loved ones from dying now?"

"Ummm, yeeeaaaah...sure....just need you to wipe out a few hundred people first...and some kids...and some Separatists....and maybe your best friend/mentor..."

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm, think bigger.
*reads through subsequent posts*

A shadow dropped Direct Mini a-la March? Hmm...
*skims through the Direct Mini of March 26*

A Direct Mini in that same vein (announcing both first party and third party titles, as well as revealing the next Challenger Pack) would be nice.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hmm, think bigger.
*reads through subsequent posts*

A shadow dropped Direct Mini a-la March? Hmm...
*skims through the Direct Mini of March 26*

A Direct Mini in that same vein (announcing both first party and third party titles, as well as revealing the next Challenger Pack) would be nice.

The third party games are all of a similar quality to the previous mini-Direct, the first party games are ill-fitting spin-offs like Hey Pikmin, Metroid Prime Federation Force, or Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, and the Smash Bros. announcement is "the next character is from Square-Enix!" with no indication of who it might be (not even pictures of potential characters like with ARMS) and no news for three months or more.

Mind you, that's probably not the worst that could happen (any updates on upcoming games would be nice at this point), but based on how Nintendo's acted for the past year or so, I find it hard to be optimistic about Nintendo's output for the next few months.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay, the new online maintenance is especially interesting because it implies some sort of major DLC that week. Doesn't mean Smash necessarily, but a major game (probably first party) is going to be getting notable DLC around that time because I believe that's what has happened when that type of maintenance has happened in the past.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, the new online maintenance is especially interesting because it implies some sort of major DLC that week. Doesn't mean Smash necessarily, but a major game (probably first party) is going to be getting notable DLC around that time because I believe that's what has happened when that type of maintenance has happened in the past.
And apart from Smash, there aren't any major titles that I know of that potentially have any DLC coming out very soon

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
For me, I’m starting to believe that the "Big" Direct is coming next week Tuesday or Wednesday:
  • First, we have the big maintenance in the last few weeks, with the one yesterday being 3+ hours long
  • Second, we have the Smash website glitch + the “New" tab disappeared 3 weeks ago: Based on past happenings and worst case scenario, it points to a Smash reveal next week at the latest.
  • Third, we have Japan's Holidays: 10 being Mountain Day and 13-16 being Obon): Nothing will happen on these days, so only 2 dates are possible for next week.
  • Fourth, there's the matter of the 3D Collection: Based on what I gauged from opinion, people are expecting a 9-11 retail release, but we know that 30 days are required for Japanese retail to sell a product.
  • Fifth, we have the financial release this Thursday: Nintendo has no new information outside of sales coming this Q2, so investors will be curious and ask about it, meaning that they will give some information on Thursday. I don’t expect game reveals or anything like that, but maybe when they’ll talk about all of this
  • Sixth, the Mario Celebration / Direct: We know that Nintendo had plans for a big celebration, but stuff didn't pan out so it released anyways (Merch, TOK, etc). The thing is that, if this presentation was indeed cancelled, why not announce the celebration already on Twitter and say "News coming in the Future", like Sonic did? Adding on to that, why not reveal 3D Collection in July, when we knew they couldn't do any presentations? Or even at the Treehouse made by NoA? It would fit with TOK's showcase... That's why I think 3D Collection it's tied to a presentation: it would be announced already otherwise.
  • Seventh, knowledge around this Direct: It started very early July, and, if we consider that it takes a month a half to put them together and they learned it based on the Deadline, we’ll get next week.
  • Saving the best for last, Jeff Grubb: He was the first to reveal some information about Mario's celebration and the March Direct dates (aside from Kelios). The date placement between August 11th and 22th is on purpose, but people are assuming this is only in the latter half of the month and there's problems that a post-Obon Direct brings:
    • 3D Collection wouldn't release 9-11 on retail, but people still think it's happening, so that goes against it
    • The "New" icon from the “Fighters” tab on the Smash website would’ve been removed too early
    • The website glitch would've been too early to relate to a reveal
    • The maintenance would've been too early, when we got the March Direct 4 days after the last one
    • Nintendo would leave investors in the dark for 2 weeks, leading to dips in the stock
    • Geno wouldn't be known and teased in the middle of July if the Direct was latter half of August
So, that leaves us with 2 dates for it to happen: August 11th or August 12th.

I think this may relate not to the Direct, but to Smash DLC (meaning that #7 is really close to release). It could even mean a Sakurai Presents right after the Next Direct (or be unrelated to all of that, but it's fun to speculate about!).

Also, Happy Birthday Sigran101 Sigran101 !
August 11th/12th is definitely the date as I see it, or (around) the 20th. But it's more likely a Mini. I'm not sure how they're going to do Smash.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Two topics I'd like to bring to the table at the moment.

Street Fighter V Season 3 Trailer and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Back in 2017, after yet another Capcom Cup Pro Tour tournament of Street Fighter V, where MenaRD took the major win surprising literally everyone, after presenting the trophy to the champion, they proceeded in revealing the first character that would be coming with Street Fighter V's Season 3 (it was Sakura). However, to the surprise of all watching the event, another trailer was shown soon after in which the ENTIRETY of the characters coming in Season 3 were revealed (a total of an additional five characters excluding Sakura). The trailer was done in gorgeous CG and also included some characters that were already in the game. Thinking back on that specific trailer, I'm puzzled by how Nintendo and Co. haven't gotten on this idea for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I know every Company likes to do their own thing but, the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 announcements are starting to come tardy according to the original schedule. The reveal of only one or two Challenger Packs would have still been feasible within a normal year but, given the current situation worldwide, a way that Ultimate's momentum could recover is with the reveal of a trailer similar to Street Fighter V's Season 3 trailer. It's a curious parallel because of a few similarities.
  • Both Street Fighter V's Season 3 Pass, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's Fighters Pass Vol. 2 have 6 fighters.
  • Min Min could be considered Vol. 2's Sakura to Street Fighter V's Season 3 since both were the first characters of each pass revealed.
A favorable move to recover Ultimate's momentum (and the interest of players for the game) would be to reveal such a trailer in which they show the remaining five characters. They don't need gameplay footage necessarily. Just show them in CG, something impactful and that way they would finally let fans know what the pass will be like and if it's worth buying. Sure, I can understand that by keeping the characters under wrap and announce them one by one helps keep the discussion alive for the game (more speculation-wise) among fans but that offers no concrete reward. Now revealing the contents of the Pass does (by generating sales).

Nintendo Co Ltd's Stock
I had brought up Nintendo's stock a while back but looking at it again last night I woke up thinking on how speculation on Nintendo news within a month's time have impacted its price. By looking at the stock's price starting off from July, it can be seen that the stock reached its peak on July 7th. Quite a few things were going for this particular date. Albeit stock prices reflect mostly the financial performance of a Company, investor speculation does influence said price as well. Consequently, investor speculation is influenced not only be looking at the Company's financial forecasts and news, but also by public opinion and expectations (and here we have the lot of insider rumors, YouTubers uploading speculation videos, and brand ambassadors and other figures expressing themselves about the Company). Now, for things that were going for July 7th.
  • Leading up to that date, a theory of a Smash reveal for Geno had gained strength with the alignment of many sevens. The next fighter to be announced would be Challenger Pack 7, making them the 77th fighter in the roster, and the announcement could potential be on the 7th day of the 7th month. It seemed to perfect and alas, it did not come true. However, this was speculation but it did do the rounds on the Internet.
  • On this day Nintendo announced three more games being added to the Nintendo Switch Online service; one of them being Donkey Kong Country for the SNES Library. This was a game that was missing from the SNES library and was arduously expected and requested to be added to the online service.
After that date, no other relevant news came out aside from the usual reminder that Paper Mario: The Origami King was on its way. The stock price took a near 2k Yen dive that day and continue to decrease throughout the week. Almost forgot about the Nintendo Treehouse stream from the 10th. The announcement of that stream may have influenced in a brief halt on the stock's price decrease, with the added announcement that after the Paper Mario gameplay, they'd reveal something new from WayForward. All who saw the stream know what happened. Curiously this did not translate to a stock price decrease. Between the 14th and 15th of July there was a slight sudden increase on the stock, perhaps due to the announcement of the LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System set announcement (on the 14th). Quite the nice collectors item. It gave airs of something notable perhaps coming along soon. The stock price continued to decrease the following days since no more news came up; that is until July 20th. Literally starting off July 20th (at midnight), Nintendo announces a Direct Mini Partners Showcase for the same day. "FINALLY some news!", many surely thought, but as the Direct Mini came and went, not all were left satisfied with what was shown (except for SMT fans). Albeit to this day, said Direct Mini stands with the following YouTube stats
  • Over 3.1 million views
  • 101k likes
  • 76k dislikes
The message of dislike came loud and clear; the stock began a price decrease from the 21st and onward but it entered a period of the market being closed for four days.

Approaching the weekend and following the close of the Tokyo stock market, XBOX had its Games Showcase presentation (on the 23rd). One game in particular that was shown off during the pre-show caught the eye of many Nights/Sonic fans when Balan Wonderworld was revealed. It was later made known on the following day (the 24th) that the game would also be coming to the Nintendo Switch. Interesting, very nice. A good sign that perhaps some good third party titles would be making their way to the Switch. Yet no news from Nintendo and the stock price again would continue to drop, taking another dip on the 30th. The decreases in price throughout the month of July may not seem like such a big deal due to the currency exchange rate (translated to USD, the decrease from July 7th to July 31st was of approximately over $40 of an approximately $440 priced stock), but this goes to show that speculation within the industry, as well as announcements and presentations do have an impact over the stock's price.

We are now in August, and with yet even more rumors of potential Nintendo announcement dates circulating social media outlets, the stock has experienced an increased since the month began, accentuating from the 3rd to the 4th. Factors that may be influencing this increase include:
  • The fast approach to the August 6th quarterly earnings release schedule. Investors may be hoping that before the earnings release, Nintendo might drop some meaningful game news (a Direct). It could serve as a cushion for an early 2021 downward forecast.
  • Sony's State of Play presentation taking place also on August 6th. On these presentations Sony will most likely go over PS4 exclusives however, one never knows when an eye-catching multi-platform title may be revealed.
For the time being, all we can do is wait (as frustrating as that may sound). For reference here's a link to Nintendo's stock (with chart).
https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/7974:JP
I agree 100%. As long as the remaining characters are ones that people actually want, the hype won’t die down. It’ll just go from people talking about a million different characters to people discussing the potential movesets of the characters.

Like if Fatman’s theorized roster of Geno, Master Chief, Lloyd, Crash & Dante is correct AND they reveal them all at once, that’d be like the biggest Smash news ever & would give Nintendo so many instant FP2 purchases.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
So I've continued to play Paper Mario 64, and I've gotta say, I only have one gripe with it so far. I don't like all the cutscenes. I'm not sure if the cutscene lengths are similar to other Mario RPG games (it's been a long time since I've played any), but every time I enter a new area or move to a certain spot, I have to read through an annoying amount of text and the cutscenes themselves take so long. I just want to play an RPG, not watch a movie.

Other than that, the game has been great so far!

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
*Me whenever credible "insiders" have been speaking for the last couple weeks since none of them seem to know anything
IMG_20200718_204417.jpg

Also, happy birthday, Sigran101 Sigran101 ! Glad to have you around! Love reading your posts!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Crown Tundra?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Like I said, it's great to be here again.

Honestly, though, I am still mad at one person, but that person isn't anyone I argued with yesterday directly on this topic. So, @xpnc , T Trevenant , AceAttorney9000 AceAttorney9000 , @Datboigeno , anyone else I argued directly on this topic that I forgot to mention, you are all good. I won't name who that person I am talking about though. We've had enough drama now.
Somehow I only just saw this but you are cool too. It's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom