• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
LOL I was thinking along the lines of....

Sora: "Xehanort!? But...I thought we killed you...again!"

Xehanort's clone/son/grandfather (smirks menacingly): "Fool! I'll never die! Not as long as there's money to be made!"

Sora: "Give back Kairi, you shriveled up old man in a child's body!"

Xehanort's c/s/g: "Hahaha! You'll NEVER find her!" (stuffs Kairi inside a circular coat rack) ".....by the way, the portal to Agribah is in changing room 2..."
I get people not wanting Byleth, but what's your source on people wanting Edelgard more than any other house leader that isn't totally anecdotal evidence? If anything, I'd expect Dimitri to be the most wanted by being the most popular lord worldwide.
Ugh, will you guys just drop the Sora and Byleth thing? This topic is not about them. You don't want this topic to get locked, do you?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Honestly, Wazygoose Wazygoose has the right idea. With a supposed new Paper Mario game just waiting to be announced, that could be a great way to reintroduce people to Geno, Mallow and others from SMRPG. If this game is going back to its "roots" then having them there in some fashion would be a good nod to the RPG before.

Firox

Smash Master
Imagine having your thread hijacked by people that:

A) Actively antagonize the thread's character

B) Push every character you can imagine EXCEPT the thread's character

C) Refuse to read counter arguments for fear they'll make more sense than theirs

D) Rather than seeing the flaws in their own logic, attack the integrity of those questioning their logic

Oh, THERE the ignore button is! Almost forgot about that....

Ugh, will you guys just drop the Sora and Byleth thing? This topic is not about them. You don't want this topic to get locked, do you?
FYI, I wasn't taking sides or trying to perpetuate the nonsensical argument. I was just messing around with a pre-established joke. You know, humor and such? I'm sure you get it.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Sorry, I'm still catching up. It looks like things have gone off topic a lot over the last few pages. I get Sora, but I'm not sure how Master Chief relates to Geno.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
To some people here and you know exactly who you are. Your Geno doubting isn't wanted or welcome here in any way shape or form. You're not keeping our expectations in check, you're just giving us a headache every once in a while. People aren't appreciative of your contributions to this thread. If you have nothing positive to say about Geno or his chances, I'd suggest you leave because we're fed up with you.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sorry, I'm still catching up. It looks like things have gone off topic a lot over the last few pages. I get Sora, but I'm not sure how Master Chief relates to Geno.
I don't think he does. I understand you catching up, though. That is understandable, at least. It's just that if we argue with those derailing the thread, and the thread gets lock, not only is it locked, but the ones derailing the thread win. Now...

What should we talk about in regards to Geno?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
For something on topic, how do y'all feel about original soundtrack versus remixes for Geno's music? I'd love for it to mostly be remixes.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For something on topic, how do y'all feel about original soundtrack versus remixes for Geno's music? I'd love for it to mostly be remixes.
As the Kool-Aid Man would say...

OH YEAH!

I would definitely love that! Maybe a remix of Smithy's theme, or NImbus Land, or Booster's Tower?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Getting the Banjo treatment with music would be great. The majority is remixes with one or two originals. Though, I would not mind some other Mario rpg music put in the mix either.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Getting the Banjo treatment with music would be great. The majority is remixes with one or two originals. Though, I would not mind some other Mario rpg music put in the mix either.
Oooh, if they go that route I'd love to see the boss theme from Partners in Time get in!

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Man, has this thread become lively.

Seems like the most recent sheananigans are of Sora's chances? How does that pertain to GENO'S? If I wanted to speak about Sora's I would go to his thread not go to another.

Also, that's interesting. Something that was mentioned. How come Geno's thread has managed to survive this far and Ridley's was closed and then another had to take it's place due to space and stuff? Is it preference? Multiple raids? Files in it? Try to keep it contained from having many pages? Is it something else?

:bowser:.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Considering Square's involvement we'll likely just get two songs in their original forms

However, as Yoko Shimomura is heavily involved in Smash's music and also composed the majority (all?) of Super Mario RPG's soundtrack, it's possible she has ownership of her original compositions. I really hope that's true because she's responsible for some of the best remixes in Ultimate.

I'd like Fight Against Koopa, Fight Against an Armed Boss, Sad Song, Beware the Forest's Mushrooms, and Welcome to Booster Tower remixed.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Y'know, I'm absolutely in approval of this. Matter of fact, here's my attempt at associating Geno with very cool posting. lmao

hopefully it won't become as painfully overused as hoes mad memes...

View attachment 259889
Very cool posting will be what I am going to deply across the internet. To make it even cooler, every character Geno associates himself with is very cool (even Piranha Plant) because everyone who gets in Smash is very cool

All I know is Geno is coming! Just wait and see this opinion of mine come to fruition. :)
I hope you are right. My faith is not as strong ad others here but I want him to get in. Been waiting for my most wanted character to be playable since 2005.

Attachments

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
A cool Geno Spirit board would be a Booster Spirit Battle using Wario. I hope there is a remix of Booster Tower, that track is fun.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
So I made this remix of Geno's theme, and I thought that this thread might enjoy it :D hope you guys like it.

QQS

Smash Lord
Nice song Shaboba Shaboba , thanks for sharing! I’m so amazed to see all the Geno’s love and support through art and music after 24 years.

Geno will be #77. Hope they can reveal us something sooner than later. At least character #76 and a hint about #77, anything before E3. Otherwise, Geno is coming anyway, 100% sure.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Like I said in my last reply, he's an easily accessible character that is useless to both companies unless they work together. Both companies have to cooperate for him to have any worth. That's it. Both sign off on it and it's off to the races and Nintendo has worked with Square Enix on specifically SMRPG ports three times since 2008, once with Smash 4, and once with the base game in Smash Ultimate. Let's just say it's a well trodden path at this point. Geno is a toy in the attic in an almost literal sense. He is basically worthless by himself which is why he makes a perfect DLC candidate. You have a super demanded character that takes minimal effort to access, involves little risk, and predominantly profit. If the actual Geno IP was worth more than five figures, I'd be genuinely surprised. In comparison, the Mario IP is worth about 25 billion. Low investment, low risk, high payout. Geno is pretty much the definition of money in the bank from a business standpoint.
Although Mario is a giant IP, it’s rpg games only ever push around a million units sold. KH being 5 times that.
Personally I would say Geno is more of a risk than Sora because Nintendo has little to gain from his inclusion.

Think about it this way, neither company can use Geno without the other. However both sides are still creating somewhat successful series without dipping back into an older IP.

This situation means that most likely someone is paying the other under contract. Nintendo draws the short end of the stick here unless for some reason Square wants to prioritize a Smrpg game over all its other franchises.

Unfortunately Geno isn’t a character that’s guaranteed to drive numbers from a business sense. Nintendo is capable of creating its own RPG titles, so it makes little sense to pay a company like square to get involved. You take a gamble using him because the IP is older and many of the fans who played the original have moved on.

Sora on the other hand is relevant and could be purely promotional for all parties involved. The Kh team did say new games were gonna be coming sooner than previous entries. If anything a new KH on the switch could push switch sales higher.

That said, If for some reason Geno is in direct “competition” with Sora, I could really only see Sora getting in if a new game or port is announced. Which may align with your argument as well.

What sucks the most, is both characters actually compliment Ultimate’s narrative very well. Hate to see one without the other.
Lol I still feel like Geno’s biggest competitor from square will end up being Lara Croft.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Although Mario is a giant IP, it’s rpg games only ever push around a million units sold. KH being 5 times that.
Personally I would say Geno is more of a risk than Sora because Nintendo has little to gain from his inclusion.
Minecraft is the best selling game of all time and Nintendo and Microsoft chose Banjo over Steve.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
^Yep.
Also Ryu wasn't Capcom's first character, Mega Man was, even though Street Fighter makes them more money.
And we didn't get a Monster Hunter rep just because World sold ridicolously well

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Minecraft is the best selling game of all time and Nintendo and Microsoft chose Banjo over Steve.
With that, Nintendo can safely choose any character they want that is from another company as long as the company in question cooperates, no matter how risky they may be.

Besides, as Sakurai said in the Terry presentation, it is not when a character has last appeared in a game that matters, but how fun they are. Some people seem to forget that, and with that, I am sure being “risky” won’t matter as well. As long as Geno is fun to play as, that is what matters most, to Sakurai and the fans of Smash.

Droodle

Smash Lord
But the difference there was that Microsoft publicly backed Banjo back in Smash 4. Obviously, it was still Nintendo's decision to pick Banjo in the end; but Microsoft was clearly on the side of Banjo. Who knows if Banjo would have gotten in if Microsoft didn't back him publicly.

Geno doesn't have that luxury; Square hasn't backed him up. Besides the demand for Sora and Geno is still much closer together compared to the likes of Steve and Banjo. Obviously, Geno could still happen if Nintendo really wants to put him in; but the difference between Banjo and Steve, and Geno and Sora is pretty clear. I genuinely believe that if Steve had as much support publicly/from Microsoft as Banjo, he would have likely gotten in first.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
But the difference there was that Microsoft publicly backed Banjo back in Smash 4. Obviously, it was still Nintendo's decision to pick Banjo in the end; but Microsoft was clearly on the side of Banjo. Who knows if Banjo would have gotten in if Microsoft didn't back him publicly.

Geno doesn't have that luxury; Square hasn't backed him up. Besides the demand for Sora and Geno is still much closer together compared to the likes of Steve and Banjo. Obviously, Geno could still happen if Nintendo really wants to put him in; but the difference between Banjo and Steve, and Geno and Sora is pretty clear. I genuinely believe that if Steve had as much support publicly/from Microsoft as Banjo, he would have likely gotten in first.
I see Phil Spencer saying he thinks it would be cool on Twitter really makes all the difference, doesn't it?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
No doubt, Geno has the biggest up hill battle compared to the other Square Enix characters. However, one thing that Geno has an edge on is the don't have is the long amount of demand over these years. That is what I am hoping takes notice.

Seeing Banjo, K.Rool and Ridley in the game but not Geno is such a blatant elephant in the room. Like the game feels like something is missing because of his absence.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

First off, let me remind you that Sakurai always wanted Geno in Smash. He has not even said about Sora. At least Geno was already in Smash 4 as a Mii Costume, while Sora has not gotten in any Smash game, in any shape or form close to that.

That said, Sora is still owned by Disney, which was not even born in a video game company. That said, Kingdom Hearts does contain non-video game characters, and while it is possible to leave them out, they are still a part of that series, Mickey, Donald, Goofy and all. I am not sure Sakurai would be keen on having a series that is more or less about Disney's history or Disney movies put in a game series that Square Enix happens to make be put into a game that happens to be a celebration of gaming altogether. Smash is also mainly a celebration of Japanese gaming, and while there may be some Japanese stuff in it, Disney owns Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts has non video game characters, and more importantly, Disney is far more western than Japanese in many ways.

That said, plus other reasons, Geno has more that will get him in as a playable in Smash than Sora has. Plus, while Nintendo may be a business as well as Sakirau's company, I am sure the real cost of getting a character in is how much they are wanted by fans, and how they are fun to play. When did Sakurai even say he was adding them just to make himself and Nintendo more money, anyway?

Now, let this whole Sora thing go, okay?

Droodle

Smash Lord
I see Phil Spencer saying he thinks it would be cool on Twitter really makes all the difference, doesn't it?
Yeah, one of the heads of Xbox saying that they are completely willing to put in Banjo in a game with their rival company; opening the doors for the massive amounts of Banjo Kazooie support, does make a difference. Without it B-K would likely have been no where near as demanded as they were.

It would be the same thing if the head of Square-Enix stated that he supports Geno for Smash. It lets us know that they are completely open to working on that particular character if Nintendo approaches them.

Obviously they could be lying; but in Phil Spencer's case he did not, and Banjo did end up in Smash. It's still a great boon to have your character's demand officially recognized by the owning company.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, one of the heads of Xbox saying that they are completely willing to put in Banjo in a game with their rival company; opening the doors for the massive amounts of Banjo Kazooie support, does make a difference. Without it B-K would likely have been no where near as demanded as they were.

It would be the same thing if the head of Square-Enix stated that he supports Geno for Smash. It lets us know that they are completely open to working on that particular character if Nintendo approaches them.

Obviously they could be lying; but in Phil Spencer's case he did not, and Banjo did end up in Smash. It's still a great boon to have your character's demand officially recognized by the owning company.
Let it be known that Square and Microsoft are two different companies, and this is all under different circumstances between the two. Yes, both Banjo-Kazooie and Geno have had a history with Nintendo before, but Microsoft have many characters that have not even been on a Nintendo console even. Some of the Rareware characters have before Microsoft brought them, so there is that. While Nintendo needs Square' Enix's permission to use Geno in anything, they are a third party company rather than first party like Microsoft, so I believe Geno would be easier to get from Square Enix than Banjo-Kazooie from Microsoft, especially if they were less willing to deal with Nintendo and include the latter duo in a Smash game, or any of their other characters for that matter.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I am offended that you are offended about being offended by Geno being cool.

Time to sit in my corner and listen to Taylor Swift.

Droodle

Smash Lord
First off, let me remind you that Sakurai always wanted Geno in Smash. He has not even said about Sora. At least Geno was already in Smash 4 as a Mii Costume, while Sora has not gotten in any Smash game, in any shape or form close to that.

That said, Sora is still owned by Disney, which was not even born in a video game company. That said, Kingdom Hearts does contain non-video game characters, and while it is possible to leave them out, they are still a part of that series, Mickey, Donald, Goofy and all. I am not sure Sakurai would be keen on having a series that is more or less about Disney's history or Disney movies put in a game series that Square Enix happens to make be put into a game that happens to be a celebration of gaming altogether. Smash is also mainly a celebration of Japanese gaming, and while there may be some Japanese stuff in it, Disney owns Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts has non video game characters, and more importantly, Disney is far more western than Japanese in many ways.

That said, plus other reasons, Geno has more that will get him in as a playable in Smash than Sora has. Plus, while Nintendo may be a business as well as Sakirau's company, I am sure the real cost of getting a character in is how much they are wanted by fans, and how they are fun to play. When did Sakurai even say he was adding them just to make himself and Nintendo more money, anyway?

I don't see how you think I'm defending Sora's chances. I literally agree with all your points and I think Sora is pretty unlikely, what I'm also trying to say is that he isn't impossible; and even then Geno's path isn't clear by any means as Square still has a ton of popular characters that may get in over him. Sora isn't the big threat to Geno, it's all the other SE characters combined.

Sure, Sakurai has acknowledged Geno's demand/popularity and at one point wanted to make him a playable character. But people change, he may feel like there are many other characters he wants to add over Geno. Besides a ton of the characters Sakurai personally "wanted" haven't gotten in, such as Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Rex, and Takamaru. We don't even know other potential characters that Sakurai likes and wants to put in Smash; theoretically speaking he could be a fan of a dozen Square characters. Sakurai isn't the end all be all of who'll get in. Sakurai is a fan of KH, and Nier for sure; and while neither of them have particularly good chances, that doesn't make Geno more likely.

I agree that Geno has a good shot (although I don't think he's happening), but people need to stop going in with the expectation that Geno is 99% guaranteed and if he doesn't get in then Nintendo/Sakurai are awful and they don't care about Geno.

EDIT: I'm going to emphasize that Sakurai publicly stating he likes ___ and wanted to put them into Smash, has no bearing on any other character. He may still be a fan of another character, he's not obliged to tell us everything he likes. Sakurai never stated previously that he wanted to put Terry, Hero, or Joker in Smash, and yet they still got in.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't see how you think I'm defending Sora's chances. I literally agree with all your points and I think Sora is pretty unlikely, what I'm also trying to say is that he isn't impossible; and even then Geno's path isn't clear by any means as Square still has a ton of popular characters that may get in over him. Sora isn't the big threat to Geno, it's all the other SE characters combined.

Sure, Sakurai has acknowledged Geno's demand/popularity and at one point wanted to make him a playable character. But people change, he may feel like there are many other characters he wants to add over Geno. Besides a ton of the characters Sakurai personally "wanted" haven't gotten in, such as Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Rex, and Takamaru. We don't even know other potential characters that Sakurai likes and wants to put in Smash; theoretically speaking he could be a fan of a dozen Square characters. Sakurai isn't the end all be all of who'll get in. Sakurai is a fan of KH, and Nier for sure; and while neither of them have particularly good chances, that doesn't make Geno more likely.

I agree that Geno has a good shot (although I don't think he's happening), but people need to stop going in with the expectation that Geno is 99% guaranteed and if he doesn't get in then Nintendo/Sakurai are awful and they don't care about Geno.
First, until we know exactly what other Square Enix characters Sakurai likes, if any, until he says so himself, I doubt just saying a theory like that will help anything. Aside from Nier and Kingdom Hearts, but Neir is one Square Enix character, Kingdom Hearts is Disney. By the way, even is Sakurai is a fan of Kingdom Hearts, saying that and wanting them in Smash can still be two different things.

Also, "That doesn't make Geno more likely". Maybe if you were talking about someone else, like Lara Croft, this could better help what you are saying, But for reasons I stated, Sora isn't really a good character to compare Geno to. He's not impossible, but still not owned by Square Enix themselves, and I can bet 1000000 in cash that Disney would be harder to negotiate with than Microsoft and Square Enix combined, especially since Disney is not really a video game company.

Also, why be concerned about people thinking Geno is 99% guaranteed? Let them think that. It's not going to affect your life in any way. It's not something to be concerned about.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Friendly reminder that he also wanted Takamaru and Mach Rider playable as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom