• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Too much info to cram into one Direct. A General Direct is still coming too, possibly as early as next week.
You really think that's a possibility? I know you've mentioned before about Nintendo really going after fan requested stuff this year, but I feel like that'd be too much stuff close together. Unfortunately, my prediction is that we're gonna have to wait until February for a normal Direct...

pinshadow

Smash Lord
This entire reveal does feel super weird to me. Nintendo skipping the Game Awards has been sticking in my mind for the last month because everything about it just feels off. Nintendo has always done something at them :
  • 2013: CRANKY KONG BABYYYYYYYYYYYYY
  • 2014: First Real BOTW Footage, new Mario Maker Styles
  • 2015: No announcement, but they had pretty much nothing to show, still did an Iwata tribute
  • 2016: More BOTW
  • 2017: Bayo 1-2 ports, Bayo 3, BOTW DLC 2 shadowdrop
  • 2018: Joker in Smash
  • 2019: ??????????
You can argue that No More Heroes 3 and Bravely Default 2 count, but neither of those games is Nintendo developed and they probably don't have control over the marketing. So why didn't they show anything? Especially because there are VERY few Switch games we actually know about coming in 2020 right now.

Now with this Smash Direct things are even more weird. If Fighter 5 was set to be released around mid-January anyway why not just reveal them at the Game Awards? Better yet, why even make this it's own direct at all? Hell, they literally just did a mini-direct for Pokemon last week! They could easily just reveal Fighter 5 in the next normal direct and then just drop the Sakurai presentation at the end like the last one.

Time for some S P E C U L A T I O N (aka, me thinking way too hard about this, don't take this too seriously please)

These questions lead me to a really dumb baseless assumption : I think Character 5 was originally planned to be revealed at the Game Awards but was pushed back. If we assume this, it explains why there was no big first-party announcement from Nintendo, they originally planned it to be Smash but had to pull it out and had nothing ready to replace it's slot, or atleast something they felt was worth showing there in it's place. Other companies have pulled stuff out of the show literal HOURS before it begins (Valve), so it isn't farfetched to think Nintendo could have done the same here. Or they could have planned to do what they did last year, only actually telling Geoff what exactly they had planned to reveal a week or so before the show, and they chose to instead not do the reveal. It also explains this weird shadowdrop, I think Fighter 5 was always meant to be released in January and be revealed before then, and that there was never a full direct planned for this month, Pokemon and the Smash release was meant to tide us over until sometime in February and March where they will have a full direct, meaning there's no other real place to reveal the character before their planned release, leading to the shadowdrop.

The big question this assumption obviously raises is why would a character reveal be pushed back at all? Especially because all the characters are basically finished well in advance of their release? I think it's because the character is a Bethesda character, and them being revealed would have indirectly confirmed CacoMallow as legitimate. Yea, I'm going there. I think the reveal was pushed back so they would have time to finish Geno enough for a reveal trailer so he could be revealed in this presentation as the first post-pass character. I think he was originally planned to be revealed later in the year but they pushed him up because they realized everyone would know he's coming once CacoMallow was proven real.

That, or I've gone completely mad from lack of news. Its probably that.

D

Deleted member

Me when I see I'm someone's favorite user and that person also actually likes my posts
View attachment 257445
But anyways, aw why thank you good sir, glad someone enjoys my posts! Means a lot, especially from my scaly friend!

Most of my posting here today has kinda just been... tempering expectations and trying to get everyone not to freak out and such (at least not to a "wanting the moon" degree). I mean we're all excited about the announcement because it has been 4 long months since Terry's reveal, but I just don't want people to be let down and/or start spreading negativity. I am not usually one to say "hype responsibly," but due to the wait I think people are maybe expecting more than is actually gonna happen. A bit more strict than I usually go, but people are just excited I suppose. Hopefully no one got perturbed by me doing that though, I just don't want massive whiplash or souls ("Spirits?") to be crushed on Thursday.

I'm sure it'll be good though, as I said, I'm content with the roster!
Of course your posts are fun. And you’ve always been respectful and great to me and everyone so yeah that’s why. Your my favourite member. But yeah I hear you on the keep expectations in check thing. Let’s just see who it is and we’ll go from there. Because of the Pokémon Direct and this I don’t think we’re getting anything till February but we’re finally getting something Smash related I can wait now.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Figured I might as well hop on the Geno hat train too, please excuse my not great editing job, can't get it to be a perfect size to fit like a normal hat, so I kind of just did a mini hat.
Polish_20200114_203053299.jpg

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
One thing to remember though if the cacomallow leak is proven real with that cacodemon mii costume in thursdays presentation (without doomguy)- RIP our Bethesda brethren. We've stayed strong together since November, but that doesn't stop us from remembering you.

(BTW yes, I put on a Geno hat aswell, thx Malo Mart Malo Mart )

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You really think that's a possibility? I know you've mentioned before about Nintendo really going after fan requested stuff this year, but I feel like that'd be too much stuff close together. Unfortunately, my prediction is that we're gonna have to wait until February for a normal Direct...
Hard to say. Nintendo is sitting on a lot and a good amount of it is starting to leak so they don't exactly have a lot of time before an undesirable amount goes public.

Droodle

Smash Lord
This entire reveal does feel super weird to me. Nintendo skipping the Game Awards has been sticking in my mind for the last month because everything about it just feels off. Nintendo has always done something at them :
  • 2015: No announcement, but they had pretty much nothing to show, still did an Iwata tribute
You can argue that No More Heroes 3 and Bravely Default 2 count, but neither of those games is Nintendo developed and they probably don't have control over the marketing. So why didn't they show anything? Especially because there are VERY few Switch games we actually know about coming in 2020 right now.

Now with this Smash Direct things are even more weird. If Fighter 5 was set to be released around mid-January anyway why not just reveal them at the Game Awards? Better yet, why even make this it's own direct at all? Hell, they literally just did a mini-direct for Pokemon last week! They could easily just reveal Fighter 5 in the next normal direct and then just drop the Sakurai presentation at the end like the last one.

Time for some S P E C U L A T I O N (aka, me thinking way too hard about this, don't take this too seriously please)

These questions lead me to a really dumb baseless assumption : I think Character 5 was originally planned to be revealed at the Game Awards but was pushed back. If we assume this, it explains why there was no big first-party announcement from Nintendo, they originally planned it to be Smash but had to pull it out and had nothing ready to replace it's slot, or atleast something they felt was worth showing there in it's place. Other companies have pulled stuff out of the show literal HOURS before it begins (Valve), so it isn't farfetched to think Nintendo could have done the same here. Or they could have planned to do what they did last year, only actually telling Geoff what exactly they had planned to reveal a week or so before the show, and they chose to instead not do the reveal. It also explains this weird shadowdrop, I think Fighter 5 was always meant to be released in January and be revealed before then, and that there was never a full direct planned for this month, Pokemon and the Smash release was meant to tide us over until sometime in February and March where they will have a full direct, meaning there's no other real place to reveal the character before their planned release, leading to the shadowdrop.

The big question this assumption obviously raises is why would a character reveal be pushed back at all? Especially because all the characters are basically finished well in advance of their release? I think it's because the character is a Bethesda character, and them being revealed would have indirectly confirmed CacoMallow as legitimate. Yea, I'm going there. I think the reveal was pushed back so they would have time to finish Geno enough for a reveal trailer so he could be revealed in this presentation as the first post-pass character. I think he was originally planned to be revealed later in the year but they pushed him up because they realized everyone would know he's coming once CacoMallow was proven real.

Or maybe, Nintendo just wants to be unpredictable? Huge leap I know.

But I have another theory that can back up yours, guess what happened yesterday? Astral Chain got its spirits confirmed. This has never happened yet for a first party character; Pokemon got them at the same time, and Daemon X Machina did too. But why not Astral Chain, and why now? Obviously they're not in the running anymore, but guess which other popular Nintendo game didn't get spirits? That's right FE:TH, what if they unveiled Astral Chain now as a hint towards what we can expect in the presentation.

That's right Byleth, Claude, Dmitri, Edelgard, and Rhea are the next 5 characters in the post pass.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

That does make a lot of sense. Nintendo should be very well be aware of the cacomallow leak. According to Fatman, Nintendo supposedly did know about the Ken leak, but didn't freak out and burn the leaker until after Ken was announced. That situation is likely happening again, hence why the videos and photos of cacomallow have not been taken down.

And there was one thing that bothered me. A week before the Game Awards, they posted a tweet saying that it has already been one year since Joker was announced. If there was no Smash announcement coming, then why did they post something like that and get people hyped up? Unless if there was going to be an announcement then Nintendo pulled it out at the last millisecond.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Screenshot_20200114-185525_Chrome.jpg

Who can possibly fit the bill for a kinda sorta nintendo character?

Sabi correcting saying its a very nintendo related character

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

I'm split on this. On one hand, this sounds like something that could happen, because once they show a Cacodemon Mii costume with no Geno Mii costume in sight then it's gonna indirectly confirm it as legitimate, but at the same time this assumes they both care about leaks like this and the CacoMallow leak didn't slip under the radar.

Has Nintendo treated any similar leaks like this in the past? An image leak or something similar that wasn't their own fault like Bloody Tears and Terry's copyright? Closest leak to this I can think of is the Ken thumbs up leak, but Ken was already in the base game so there's not a whole lot that could be done about that.

And again, this all assumes Fighter #5 is a Bethesda character at all.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
View attachment 257514

Who can possibly fit the bill for a kinda sorta nintendo character?

Sabi correcting saying its a very nintendo related character
A few can. I do think that destroys Dragonborns chances though. COuld be Geno(very tied to nintendo just in principle), could be shantae(Mostly was on Nintendo systems), could be others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom