• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think Sakurai's comments deserve a little more optimism personally. Yes, it's a minimum of two... but would they have announced them so early and would Sakurai be so absolutely ecstatic and supportive about the prospect of more DLC fighters if he was really just doing two more? If that was the case, I feel like we would have just seen Sakurai do another Final Smash Bros Direct at some point in like December like he did for Smash 4. Revealing your hand in September with two fighters of the pass yet to release and constantly being so excited about the future? That sounds like he's going to not only be doing several more, but that he's serious about going as long as Nintendo will let him.
Fair enough and I respect anybody who expects more than 3 or 4. I just can't fathom what's going on in Sakurai's crazy mind. This is the same game that gave me :ultpiranha::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie::ulthero::ultkrool::ultsnake::ultcloud:, and there's no way I'm understanding what's going on behind the scenes beyond leakers saying who's in.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
How would you feel if this were all the dlc characters?

https://i.imgur.com/jY7OGxz.jpg
I'd be alright with that lineup but realistically speaking, I feel like only a handful of them have good chances over the rest, those being Geno, Rayman, Doom Guy, Travis Touchdown, Bandana Dee, and Steve.

I have no hate towards these characters but they just feel unlikely to me and here's why I think that.
•(Klonoa) He feels out of place here, not because he's a Bamco rep but because he doesn't really have sufficient demand and lacks the fame he deserves. I don't think that'd stop Sakurai and I actually kind of want Klonoa for the same reason as Geno: he looks cool and he needs to be brought back into the spotlight.
•(Crash) I'd love to be proven wrong on this but I just kind of feel like he might not make it. Would Sakurai push for the orange marsupial who fought during the console war against Sonic and Mario? Maybe. However, I just don't know if it's been considered. Again, another character I want but am a little unsure about their chances.
•(Agent 8) I personally feel like they won't be a full fighter. Maybe an echo or a purchasable extra skin but likely not a full fighter. I think Splatoon is a recent enough IP that it doesn't need more than just the Inklings but I wouldn't be disappointed if these guys were echoes of the Inklings.
•(Porky) Porky is a classic Nintendo villain from the Earthbound series and is a staple to Nintendo's rpg history. However, I really don't know if they'll put him in. It'd be awesome for the Earthbound series to get another rep yet I can't shake the feeling Porky may not get in. That missing spirit does make me think he could make it since he's so important to the franchise but I'm just going to say, for now, he may not happen.
•(Sylux) I want him. I really do. He looks awesome. However, we know almost nothing about the guy, who is supposedly the main villain of Metroid Prime 4. I think they could use him to advertise that game but Sylux would have to have a lot of cool moveset potential to differentiate from Samus. Also, we got a ton of representation for Metroid recently with Ridley and Dark Samus, so I don't think Sylux is a requirement but I'd take him.
•(Waluigi) He's...wah, I guess. He could get in by fan demand but I just don't think it'll happen, to be honest. Yes, Sans got in as a costume but Sakurai has been pushing since E3 2018 that Waluigi is an assist. Don't know if he'll ever budge on that.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
•(Crash) I'd love to be proven wrong on this but I just kind of feel like he might not make it. Would Sakurai push for the orange marsupial who fought during the console war against Sonic and Mario? Maybe. However, I just don't know if it's been considered. Again, another character I want but am a little unsure about their chances.
What's the issue with Crash? He's one of the most likely Western characters I'd wager because he's one of the few to actually be popular in Japan too.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Because Disney wants to start to be a co-financier of the movie. When you start to pay, you start to get control, and I¨m not talking about creative control... There is a good reason why Sony has paid for the entire thing when it comes to FFM and HC
I mean, what other control could Sony be afraid of losing? Marketing control? Is that really so important to them?

Well, there is also the chance that Alan Horn or Bob Iger (Kevin's bosses) say that he can¨t work on Spiderman because Sony don¨t want to renew the contract.
Well yeah, but that's the whole point, right? Sony tried to spin the story as though the agreement fell through BECAUSE Feige had too much on his plate, when in reality there's no universe where Feige would be too busy to work on Spider-Man. The deal fell through due to greed on both sides.

TASM did not underperform. That is a lie and you know it. But TASM 2 crushed his passion yes.
I dunno how else you'd describe a movie that made over 100 million less than its critically-panned predecessor

How would you feel if this were all the dlc characters?

https://i.imgur.com/jY7OGxz.jpg
That second pass is damn near flawless IMO, but I don't see it happening. Too good to be true, caters too hard and too singularly to a niche demographic, and Klonoa just ain't happening (as cool as it'd be)

Pass 3... meh. Travis aside (who I don't have any personal connection to, but wanna see get in just on principle) it seems too... Smash-bubble-centric, too lacking in pizzazz.

Like, an Octoling? As a unique fighter? Uhh... I'm good, thanks.

I wouldn't say Sylux and Porky are IMPOSSIBLE, but they're extremely weird picks for DLC as opposed to base roster. They feel like black sheep next to the likes of Joker, Banjo and Doom Slayer

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Why does Agent 8 need to be a unique newcomer? At best I'd say Octolongs/Agent 8 could be an Echo, but I'm actually leaning towards us getting no additional Echoes. They seemed to be created to fill in some extra spots during base game, but I think they make less sense in a DLC capacity unless Sakurai has just some extra funding that isn't served better anywhere else.
Funny thing is, I have long suspected additional DLC because of a certain echo possibility, that being Kasumi and her relation to the Jane file. I imagine Sakurai would've known early on if he was going to go beyond the first pack(Like, really early on), so the team laying the groundwork for a Joker echo while making Joker isn't impossible. The fact that there is clear indicators that Sakurai knew P5R stuff before anyone else(The focus on the grappling hook) and the whole Jane file being before anything about Kasumi being revealed makes this all the more feasible.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
What's the issue with Crash? He's one of the most likely Western characters I'd wager because he's one of the few to actually be popular in Japan too.
I don't think popularity is the problem, which is why I said I'm just unsure if they'd pick him. I think Crash is possible but I just can't shake the feeling it may not happen. I don't think there is an issue but I just don't think it's super likely. Not impossible. Just not super likely.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Funny thing is, I have long suspected additional DLC because of a certain echo possibility, that being Kasumi and her relation to the Jane file. I imagine Sakurai would've known early on if he was going to go beyond the first pack(Like, really early on), so the team laying the groundwork for a Joker echo while making Joker isn't impossible. The fact that there is clear indicators that Sakurai knew P5R stuff before anyone else(The focus on the grappling hook) and the whole Jane file being before anything about Kasumi being revealed makes this all the more feasible.
I do realize your Kasumi theory hinges on there being more Echoes, and I was totally on board with that idea when it looked (to me) like we were just getting the single Fighter's Pass and maybe some limited additional DLC to end off the season. But then Sakurai went and blew the whole damn speculation scene up and has talked a few times about universes and continuing the achievement of Ultimate in that regard... And I just don't expect Echoes to be on the table anymore. They just seem... rather unambitious for a Sakurai who seems ecstatic about more DLC and going for as long as he can and I'm not sure that Echoes will carry the kind of weight Nintendo wants to keep the DLC going (since they did pick it after all).

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I don't think popularity is the problem, which is why I said I'm just unsure if they'd pick him. I think Crash is possible but I just can't shake the feeling it may not happen. I don't think there is an issue but I just don't think it's super likely. Not impossible. Just not super likely.
i heard someone in this thread say activision wasn't willing to let others use crash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I do realize your Kasumi theory hinges on there being more Echoes, and I was totally on board with that idea when it looked (to me) like we were just getting the single Fighter's Pass and maybe some limited additional DLC to end off the season. But then Sakurai went and blew the whole damn speculation scene up and has talked a few times about universes and continuing the achievement of Ultimate in that regard... And I just don't expect Echoes to be on the table anymore. They just seem... rather unambitious for a Sakurai who seems ecstatic about more DLC and going for as long as he can and I'm not sure that Echoes will carry the kind of weight Nintendo wants to keep the DLC going (since they did pick it after all).
But wasn't the whole thing about "universes" a mistranslation? And I don't think ambition is what Sakurai is going for, at least not in that regard. He just wants to make people happy, and I can see echo's still scratching that itch.

Plus, what else can it be? I doubt Kasumi was ever meant to be a costume with what we know about her from the P5R info, and the Jane model was very likely in a completely finished state by the time we got wind of it. You don't just toss that to the side.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
But wasn't the whole thing about "universes" a mistranslation? And I don't think ambition is what Sakurai is going for, at least not in that regard. He just wants to make people happy, and I can see echo's still scratching that itch.

Plus, what else can it be? I doubt Kasumi was ever meant to be a costume with what we know about her from the P5R info, and the Jane model was very likely in a completely finished state by the time we got wind of it. You don't just toss that to the side.
i honestly think the jane thing was Terry because didn't it mention the model having a ponytail?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Wasn't the original "Jane" file specifically for one of Joker's alt costumes, though? That's the way I remember it, anyway.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
i honestly think the jane thing was Terry because didn't it mention the model having a ponytail?
It did have a ponytail, but I kinda doubt they would use Joker as the rig for Terry. Plus, I don't think there is any connection between Terry and the name Jane. Banjo had the codename "Buddy", so these codenames do have conections.
Wasn't the original "Jane" file specifically for one of Joker's alt costumes, though? That's the way I remember it, anyway.
It was, but I along with many others have suspected that they made the Kasumi model as Joker's alt to test things early on before switching it with the models we got. If you plan on making an echo for the character you are making at that exact moment, that makes a bit of sense.

link2702

Smash Champion
damn......

ran into a wow classic player named Punchinello.

Obviously my first reaction was "OOOOOHHHHH another SMRPG fan, has to be with an obscure name like that!"

Nope, turns out in fact Punchinello(.....like so many other SMRPG enemy names...) in fact has another meaning, Apparently means a short, stout, comical looking person.

This player was a Gnome...so it made sense. Turns out he's an English teacher which only means it makes more sense for him to have a name so obscure.

*sigh* well I'm sure I'll find SOME SMRPG fans somewhere in WoW...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I don't think Echoes scratch that itch enough and I've been vocal that I think that while that individual bit of the conversation might have been a mistranslation, the entire context of that statement on further DLC further emphasizes the idea that he's going to focus on expanding Smash and going for the record of crossover game. To further back this up, the translated Famitsu column also emphasizes the same ideas: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/09/11/sakurai-talks-more-about-smash-ultimate-dlc-development/. I don't think it's any mistake that Sakurai keeps repeating the notions of Smash as a collaborative title and that he wants to keep pushing the envelope for the series. Especially when he says this might be the only opportunity to get multiple game universes crossing over. I think new series makes the most sense in that regard. We've seen this with DLC as well, it's all been brand new third parties and will end almost undoubtedly with another brand new third party. Of Smash 4's 4 newcomer DLCs, 3 were third parties and the other one was basically a request on Nintendo's part. I don't think Sakurai and Nintendo are going to abandon their successful DLC strategy to just adopt characters from series already in Smash and it just doesn't contribute to his dream of the ultimate collaboration in the same way if he just goes deeper in the existing universes. Basically if a character can add to this photo from E3 2018, I think they have a better shot at inclusion:

As for Jane? I have no clue. We've left lots of stuff on the Smash cutting room floor in many different instances, so maybe this is just another example (or it got used somewhere else in a weird way). My bigger issue with Jane at this point is that Nintendo picked the DLC... and I can't really picture Nintendo picking Echoes for one thing and I especially don't think they'd pick Kasumi unless they managed to yank Persona 5 Royal legitimately to Switch. Kasumi made more sense with Sakurai's passion for Persona 5 as the driving force, but Sakurai keeps emphasizing Nintendo chose the DLC, and that's where Kasumi falls apart for me.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't think Echoes scratch that itch enough and I've been vocal that I think that while that individual bit of the conversation might have been a mistranslation, the entire context of that statement on further DLC further emphasizes the idea that he's going to focus on expanding Smash and going for the record of crossover game. To further back this up, the translated Famitsu column also emphasizes the same ideas: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/09/11/sakurai-talks-more-about-smash-ultimate-dlc-development/. I don't think it's any mistake that Sakurai keeps repeating the notions of Smash as a collaborative title and that he wants to keep pushing the envelope for the series. Especially when he says this might be the only opportunity to get multiple game universes crossing over. I think new series makes the most sense in that regard. We've seen this with DLC as well, it's all been brand new third parties and will end almost undoubtedly with another brand new third party. Of Smash 4's 4 newcomer DLCs, 3 were third parties and the other one was basically a request on Nintendo's part. I don't think Sakurai and Nintendo are going to abandon their successful DLC strategy to just adopt characters from series already in Smash and it just doesn't contribute to his dream of the ultimate collaboration in the same way if he just goes deeper in the existing universes. Basically if a character can add to this photo from E3 2018, I think they have a better shot at inclusion:

As for Jane? I have no clue. We've left lots of stuff on the Smash cutting room floor in many different instances, so maybe this is just another example (or it got used somewhere else in a weird way). My bigger issue with Jane at this point is that Nintendo picked the DLC... and I can't really picture Nintendo picking Echoes for one thing and I especially don't think they'd pick Kasumi unless they managed to yank Persona 5 Royal legitimately to Switch. Kasumi made more sense with Sakurai's passion for Persona 5 as the driving force, but Sakurai keeps emphasizing Nintendo chose the DLC, and that's where Kasumi falls apart for me.
But he states fighter in a general way, not as if it was third party or it was wholly unique. As long as the fighter can please people, he would be willing to do it. Also, I think predicting what Nintendo would choose is kinda a losing battle, as clearly we have grossly underestimated them before when it comes to fighter choices. And if Sakurai knew P5R stuff ahead of time, don't you think it's possible that Atlus and Nintendo made a deal in regard to P5R? Maybe not to bring the game over, but for a fighter to coincide with its release. Advertising like this is a two way street after all, and Sakurai did promote the Xbox one in the Banjo stream, so I don't think being on a different console matter too much.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
But he states fighter in a general way, not as if it was third party or it was wholly unique. As long as the fighter can please people, he would be willing to do it. Also, I think predicting what Nintendo would choose is kinda a losing battle, as clearly we have grossly underestimated them before when it comes to fighter choices. And if Sakurai knew P5R stuff ahead of time, don't you think it's possible that Atlus and Nintendo made a deal in regard to P5R? Maybe not to bring the game over, but for a fighter to coincide with its release. Advertising like this is a two way street after all, and Sakurai did promote the Xbox one in the Banjo stream, so I don't think being on a different console matter too much.
That's not what I'm referring to. I'm calling out the context of the greater conversations he keeps making about Smash and saying that, much in the same way that Reggie blatantly told us what to expect from the Fighter's Pass at The Game Awards despite people's resistance, Sakurai is largely framing what he will focus on in continued DLC for Smash Ultimate and it's likely third party. One mistranslation in the Direct does not remove the rest of the context of his conversation of Ultimate and its characters, and while I don't doubt the possibility of a first party or fan favorite from an existing franchise... I do think we're going to see predominately new third parties as we have up until this moment. We predict Nintendo to the best of our ability through speculation and I don't think we've necessarily underestimated them as much as just usually had too limited of blinders on in that regard. With how many surprises Smash has already pulled out, I'm not so sure they're capable of it as much anymore given just how much we've been taught to consider and expect.

Is it possible they made a deal with Atlus and Nintendo in regards to P5R? Sure, it's possible. But I don't buy the idea that Nintendo themselves are interested in deepening the pool of Persona 5 characters specifically without a release. Banjo & Kazooie got in despite the Xbox promotion because of fan demand... Persona didn't have a ton pre-Joker and Kasumi has even less (and while I'm hopeful she'll turn out well, she could very well end up another Marie that the community hates and I don't think Sakurai is fond of approaching those brand new characters like that). The only way this makes sense is if Atlus had an absurd amount of negotiating power in a deal with Nintendo, because I really don't see Nintendo looking at Persona 5 in particular with an eye for two characters even if one is an Echo.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The fact that Sabi said they're in the dark on Fighter 5 despite the fact that it's most likely currently in development makes me think they're doing everything in their power to keep this one entirely under wraps. Outside of stray guesses no one saw Terry coming until Nintendo blew it themselves, so who knows.
I wouldn't even believe that. Not singling out Sabi here but the insiders in general: it was mentioned that no one had any idea on character 4 and people were actually happy potentially going into a future Direct with Smash news blind. 4 was a mystery. Then the SNK leak on Nintendo's site happened and all of a sudden insiders were all 'Nah, we knew it was Terry for awhile.' Yet just 20 minutes before this, everyone was in the dark.

So, no, I think some insiders know exactly who character 5 is. They are just waiting for something to come out first before they can be more vocal.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I wouldn't even believe that. Not singling out Sabi here but the insiders in general: it was mentioned that no one had any idea on character 4 and people were actually happy potentially going into a future Direct with Smash news blind. 4 was a mystery. Then the SNK leak on Nintendo's site happened and all of a sudden insiders were all 'Nah, we knew it was Terry for awhile.' Yet just 20 minutes before this, everyone was in the dark.

So, no, I think some insiders know exactly who character 5 is. They are just waiting for something to come out first before they can be more vocal.
Yeah, I mean we basically already heard what name was being passed around at the time of the direct: Ryu from Ninja Gaiden. Most people have written that off since because the 4chan leak was fake, but love it or hate it that was the name Sabi and others admitted to hearing. We just to wait and see if that's legit.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I found my old post where I transcribed the English translation of Sakurai's comments and why it appears to me that we'll be getting new third parties going forward from that (just to give you more context on where I'm coming from in my change of opinion):

My issue is the rest of how Sakurai talks means that the one mistranslated bit doesn't discount the rest of the context. Here's a transcript of the English:

"Finally, it was announced that we will be working on even more DLC fighters. To me, it feels like the finish line is sliding farther away. You may wonder, how much longer can he be involved in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? But I'm also excited. Adding more characters into the game means more game worlds will be added to the series and ultimately, that means there will be an even greater opportunity to delight the fans. At the same time, I feel that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is now representing so many characters and game worlds that it has become an enormous game. Even if the Super Smash Bros. series continues moving forward, I doubt there will ever be an opportunity to bring this many characters together again. So I want to keep improving on this record as much as possible, and I will continue to work hard at developing the game. I appreciate your support."

The footage also has specifically labeled for part of this presentation: "We will bring more game worlds together" and "There may never be another opportunity to have this many games world together."

Again, the context heavily implies that Sakurai is going to continue his focus on bringing in new game worlds. I can accept that one part of it was a translation error, but there's much more there that still hints at that being his focus. We obviously won't know for certain until we see the characters themselves, but I don't really see many other ways to take this clip.
Basically every time that Sakurai speaks on Smash post the announcement of more DLC, I feel like he's giving off certain red flags that would imply this focus on new third parties will continue. His Famitsu article pushed me into further confidence and the way he talks about getting to work with all of these video games, licenses, and IPs just communicates to me that he is most excited about that prospect continuing for longer with Smash Ultimate. And I'm especially inclined to hold that course when I consider that Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate have both pushed new third party DLC as their definite focus, and I don't see any reason for Nintendo to be keen to abandon what seems to be making Smash bigger and more successful than ever.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
i heard someone in this thread say activision wasn't willing to let others use crash.
This is Smash Bros though, getting your character in is not just cool, it's also a huge marketing thing that boosts attention and sales to the game the character is from. There's a reason why so many devs want to there franchises crossover, and at this point with how big the collaborations have gotten, I think Sakurai could get Activision to talk

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is Smash Bros though, getting your character in is not just cool, it's also a huge marketing thing that boosts attention and sales to the game the character is from. There's a reason why so many devs want to there franchises crossover, and at this point with how big the collaborations have gotten, I think Sakurai could get Activision to talk
I'm not really sure that any company is going to turn down Sakurai at this point in Ultimate's life cycle. That's why when people bring up Disney I just kind of brush it off. Smash Bros. is literally the most esteemed gaming crossover and quite possibly the most esteemed in terms of media (in the sheer numbers of IPs in one department at least) that also seems to be making absolute **** tons of money. Not to mention, you know Sakurai will devote himself to lovingly and accurately realizing your character in exactly the manner you request. It just seems like a no brainer at this point.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
*pops up from hiding* My thought on Jane is that it was a scraped idea. Sakurai got a chance to visit Atlus and probably got a chance to see Kasumi in action. Thought to himself 'Maybe, I can make her an alt!' then later down the line 'ehhh maybe not'

That is my hot take on it. Could still happen though.

Also, Ovaltine Ovaltine , Great work as always! Also also, Klonoa got his trademark renewed? ...that would be pretty neat.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I don't know if it makes Klonoa any more likely but there is still hope for him now that the trademark is renewed. What an odd turn of events.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
hopefully, crash would have a good reason to be in smash.

D

Deleted member

1. Geno
2. Crash
3. Master Cheif
4. Sylux
5. Solaire/Dark Souls Rep

Grovyle from Pokémon mystery dungeon as bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I don't know if it makes Klonoa any more likely but there is still hope for him now that the trademark is renewed. What an odd turn of events.
I came here to rain on your parade:

Every character that showed up in the infamous Grinch Leak had their game's trademark renewed (aside from Geno) recently. It means nothing aside from the fact Namco would rather Klonoa not drift into trademark limbo

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno
Rayman
Heavy Weapons Guy
Pokemon Master (Oshawott/Bayleef/Blaziken) or (Oshawott/Combuskin/Meganium)
Karate Joe or Wonder Red

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Man, I know my opinion will be controversial, BUT....

Geno
Geno
Geno
Geno
Geno

Sometimes you just gotta tell it how it is.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Geno
/////////
Issac
Waluigi
Skull kid
BWD
Dixie kong
/////////////
Sora
Rayman
Crash
Shantae
Bomberman

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see:
  1. Geno
  2. Isaac
  3. Anyone else that fulfills longstanding requests
  4. More casters
  5. My absolute literal who, Gitaroo Man

I honestly wouldn't be surprised that (at least part of) the "list" Nintendo brought to Sakurai was actually, "Hey, these companies have approached us and will pay us the advertising money for their character to be in. Any objections?"

D

Deleted member

I still find Joker questionable. Atlus made it sound like Joker was all nothing but a Sakurai pick. The Persona series has a much bigger presence to the PlayStation. Joker was added, but yet no P5 or Royal on the Switch and have nothing but spin-offs. At least, Nintendo may of thought about Joker because how popular P5 is that Joker would attract new fans. Persona belongs to Megami Tensei which has a long history with Nintendo though. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

1) Geno
2) Isaac
3) Chorus Kids
4) Rex/Pyra
5) Rayman

I'm but a simple man who likes his Geno, Isaac and Rex/Pyra with an interest in the Chorus Kids and Rayman. I just think they'd be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom