• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I came across a leak over on 4chan. Not sure what you think of it but I wouldn't be mad if it was real.

It probably isn't true though.
It would be remiss of me to pass up the obvious joke of 'Fire Emblem character in a much-coveted space of the all-important Fighter's Pass = "oh shoot you guys this might be the one" '.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
So, I know he isn't a big Geno enthusiast like us but.. He knows we are right? So, why leak something SOOO related to Geno (Or at least, to give the idea) in the first time.
Like, "Starling" means Little Star and that could mean Geno, I think he'd thought about that, right? If then so.. I expect the Starling leak to be Geno related, but dunno if Smash at all.
Not to put a damper on this, but Fatmanonice did say the discord is made up of a variety of people and only a few were Geno fans.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The star in starling could be Geno, but given the other rumor lately it could also be referring to Super Mario Odyssey or Sunshine. In Odyssey he travels in space, and in Sunshine he collects shine sprites (kind star-ish).
Have anyone thought of the idea of Sunshine DLC for Mario Maker 2?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Not to put a damper on this, but Fatmanonice did say the discord is made up of a variety of people and only a few were Geno fans.
Still, a "few" shouldn't be discounted. Geno has a very big fanbase, and the source is well aware of that fact

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Oh I hope for that. Truly.

I am really hoping that there will be another wave of DLC since Nintendo president has said he wants to do more DLC for major Nintendo brands ... and they haven't really don't that, in at least a "more" instance.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Maybe a Super Mario RPG remake is getting revealed in the upcoming September Direct?
I mean it's not impossible....

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Maybe a Super Mario RPG remake is getting revealed in the upcoming September Direct?
I mean it's not impossible....
The saddest part of a Remake is that a lot of thing would eventually, be removed or changed according to worldwide politics and stuff.. like, we wouldn't see mario trying to punch a kid in the face again
Even tho I'd LOOVE to see a feature like in DQ11, like, you can choose between playing the new HD models or an HD version of the original sprites, that'd be cool I guess..

T2by4

Smash Lord
I came across a leak over on 4chan. Not sure what you think of it but I wouldn't be mad if it was real.

It probably isn't true though.
>No doomguy or bethesda rep even though Bethesda confirmed they had discussions with the smash team

Into the trash it goes.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Characters aside, this is too in-depth to be true. When leakers can provide paragraphs about how a character functions, it's always a red flag. Think about the past leaks that turned out to be true.
I will give credit where credit is due: one time we got a legitimate playtesting leak from someone who was accurately able to describe Incineroar and a bit of Piranha Plant’s gameplay. However, that wasn’t based on a trailer or anything, that was literally because they playtested the characters close to the launch of the game; it was a unique situation.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I came across a leak over on 4chan. Not sure what you think of it but I wouldn't be mad if it was real. It probably isn't true though.
Never trust a 4Chan leak...

... Unless it mention Sgt Cortez from TimeSplitters as a character in the fighters pass! :4pacman:

T2by4

Smash Lord
People on 4chan are already jumping the gun and saying Tracer is gonna be in. Im gonna have to say no to that because 1, my boy Heavy is more worthy, 2, if we're getting doomguy, which I am 99% sure we are, I highly doubt we're also getting another shooter/fps rep, and 3, there have been zero hints from anyone indicating a Overwatch rep.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I mean the Overwatch producers have been up to the idea. And now with this...
Just to clarify. I¨m talking about the game, not a character.

People on 4chan are already jumping the gun and saying Tracer is gonna be in. Im gonna have to say no to that because 1, my boy Heavy is more worthy, 2, if we're getting doomguy, which I am 99% sure we are, I highly doubt we're also getting another shooter/fps rep, and 3, there have been zero hints from anyone indicating a Overwatch rep.
I¨m talking about the game, not a potential character

Last edited:

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
>No doomguy or bethesda rep even though Bethesda confirmed they had discussions with the smash team

Into the trash it goes.
As much as I want Doomguy in, that doesn't confirm that Bethesda will have a character in. I'm sure a bunch of companies have TALKED about Smash with Nintendo, it doesn't guarantee that they'll get a character in.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
As much as I want Doomguy in, that doesn't confirm that Bethesda will have a character in. I'm sure a bunch of companies have TALKED about Smash with Nintendo, it doesn't guarantee that they'll get a character in.
I agre 100%

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
It's the only one that I'm aware of that confirmed they were approached. That is a fair argument, since if what I understand is that they got a list of characters and presented them to sakurai with who he can work with. They probably talked to multiple companies and asked first and then followed up with them again after sakurai greenlit it.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I'm going to be honest here, I doubt Tracer would get in Smash because Blizzard themselves have said they'd take Diablo with his cane as a fighter over Overwatch representation, so..

Not saying it's impossible but Blizzard clearly has their own priorities

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm going to be honest here, I doubt Tracer would get in Smash because Blizzard themselves have said they'd take Diablo with his cane as a fighter over Overwatch representation, so..
Well, if their parent company Activision says that it will be Tracer (for the sake of the argument) it would be Tracer.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
What was the bird type again? European starling? Tracer is from London. She used to be a pilot (flying like a bird) . Her logo has bird wings on it. Ahahahaha if it actually turns out to be Tracer I won't even be mad.
That would make sense, but would be fairly disappointing. Man, I never get what I want.

Me: "Disney having Smash Bros influence might be the worst thing ever."
Blizzard: "Hold my soylent."

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
That would make sense, but would be fairly disappointing. Man, I never get what I want.

Me: "Disney having Smash Bros influence might be the worst thing ever."
Blizzard: "Hold my soylent."
I would honestly be pretty hyped. An Overwatch character is in my top 5 characters I want.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
What was the bird type again? European starling? Tracer is from London. She used to be a pilot (flying like a bird) . Her logo has bird wings on it. Ahahahaha if it actually turns out to be Tracer I won't even be mad.
Ah, yeeeah, when you line everything up like that, it honestly packs more of a punch than the play-on-words that is a star-ling.

I guess we don't have much longer to find out for sure, but I'm starting to think one of my first DLC predictions is gonna start comin' true...

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
For me, an Overwatch character would be the second worst thing to happen for a character reveal. The first being Sora. The third being (well was) Plant.

But rip Doomguy if we do end up getting Bayonetta 2.0 into this game. They are both shallow enough to be compared to each other I suppose.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think Overwatch is going to be the shooter franchise that Sakurai and the design team would go for. Doom would be more likely due to its impact on gaming as a whole. That, and if Activision got representation, Crash Bandicoot would be at the top of the list

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Actually, something I was just thinking about not too long ago, each DLC character thus far has had a Final Smash that incorporates help from a group of characters. If we had Joker's crew for his DLC, a bunch of protagonists from DQ assisting the Hero for his DLC, the group of Jinjos and the Jinjonator assisting Banjo & Kazooie for their DLC... having Tracer would almost guarantee we'd get a Final Smash incorporating the Overwatch cast blazing in to assist their representative fighter.

That would certainly fit the pattern, if that is the case. Not a completely solid argument, given that you could argue B-K's is a bit loose with a 'group' of characters, but, nevertheless. It's an interesting train of thought.

EDIT: .. and involving multitudes of other characters within a fighter's Final Smash truly does serve the mantra of "Everyone is Here", if you think of it like that. One fighter, but MULTITUDES of additional cameos to fill things out. Very interesting.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
For me, an Overwatch character would be the second worst thing to happen for a character reveal. The first being Sora. The third being (well was) Plant.

But rip Doomguy if we do end up getting Bayonetta 2.0 into this game. They are both shallow enough to be compared to each other I suppose.
Of course bias speaking because I love Overwatch. But there are far far far worse characters they could go with like a Three Houses advertisement or yet another JRPG protagonist.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh dear god, no offense to anyone who likes Overwatch or Tracer (in fact, I quite fancy her as a character, not just because of dat lesbian solidarity), but the LAST thing I want to see is freaking Overwatch in Smash Bros. As if we need Smash's fan base to be any worse, adding Tracer to the mix would be an unholy mess of toxicity writhing into the scene. Not to mention, I really feel like Overwatch is jumping the shark, which is sad, given the colorful cast it has.

I just... no. I don't want that garbage anywhere near Smash, nooooo thanks. It's not so much Tracer or even Smash fans who want Tracer, but the insane amount of baggage Overwatch has that I'd hate to see tainting Smash.

EDIT: Not to mention, if we were to get a rep from Blizzard, I honest to goodness see it being something from WoW leeeeagues before Overwatch.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm gonna head out if things start becoming an anti-overwatch agreement fest...especially since it will be hypocritical from the way Geno fans are normally treated.

Like most things. You need to seperate the fanbase from the actual property. Smash is a great example. You know how often all Smash fans are lumped together as some toxic group. But people are still able to play and enjoy the game?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
EDIT: Not to mention, if we were to get a rep from Blizzard, I honest to goodness see it being something from WoW leeeeagues before Overwatch.
I don't know WoW that well, but the Lich King seems like a good choice if they ever wanted a villain to be the first rep of a third party.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm gonna head out if things start becoming an anti-overwatch agreement fest...especially since it will be hypocritical from the way Geno fans are normally treated.
Oh, trust me, I get it. I don't like the way Geno's fans are treated because of our bad apples. Likewise, I feel bad for any good Overwatch fans who are unfairly portrayed in a terrible light because of the fan base it has and Blizzard's poor business ethics. I understand that. It's not even Overwatch itself that's the problem. In fact, I wish Overwatch wasn't in the situation that it was, because the cast is ridiculously charming to me. I actually like the game, even with my issues in Blizzard's handling of it.

Overwatch fans getting into Smash, though... whooooof. Smash's fandom is already a hot mess. That would just exponentially multiply that.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Well, we aren't saying you can't be happy if this is the case. If I am coming across as attacking you for liking the character, I apologize. I think my shock and confusion is probably why I might seem a bit hostile about it.

It would also come off as more Blizzard buying out the spot over actual fan demand. Similar irk I have with Disney getting in (but arguable not as hard since Sora's name floats around Smash fans a lot)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It would also come off as more Blizzard buying out the spot over actual fan demand. Similar irk I have with Disney getting in (but arguable not as hard since Sora's name floats around Smash fans a lot)
I can't say I agree with this point. Nintendo chose the DLC. If Sora or Tracer got in, it'd be due to their popularity and the sales they could generate. It wouldn't be Blizzard or Disney buying out a spot for anything.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I can't say I agree with this point. Nintendo chose the DLC. If Sora or Tracer got in, it'd be due to their popularity and the sales they could generate. It wouldn't be Blizzard or Disney buying out a spot for anything.
I suppose both are popular with Smash and Non Smash fans.

However, can you imagine if I get my worst case scenario for the final two spots? (Both of these two + no Geno)

I'd probably move on from Smash entirely in this case lol

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Anyone else not seeing the correlation here? Sure, Overwatch could be coming to Switch and get a licensed case, but that doesn’t relate to Smash in any way. Unless there’s some super credible™️ rumor going around, but I haven’t heard it. I’m not convinced if I’m honest. But sure, entertaining the idea yields discussion at least!

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
At least, based on what I've seen, it appears that the issue with an Overwatch representative is less the character, and more the general toxicity that surrounds the game from which she hails from. Granted, every fandom has its thorns, but that just means those thorns need vigilant maintenance and trimming - Whether there is a representative from overwatch in the game or not, should they appear and their appearance brings with them overlap from the other fanbase, and that overlap happens to bring over some of the bad apples along the way, then we should just be sure to continue to do our part to discourage toxic behavior and ensure people are treated properly and with respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom