• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Because they're FUN and like to have FUN and play videogames to have FUN and speculate for FUN because they're a FUNNY guy who does FUNNY things because FUN is supposed to be FUN. I don't know how many times I have to say this.
I wouldn't call beating around the bush and wasting people's time fun. It's fine when big companies do AR games for information or releases or whatever, because that's some community fun with a guaranteed payoff. This isn't anything of the sort because while they may be a trusted source, they aren't official in anyway. There's no guarantee of payoff and frankly their hints aren't particularly engaging from what I've seen (it's a photo, find some meaning is esoteric for its own sake and stokes speculation for the sake of speculation).

Have fun playing Smash. Have fun speculating with what's given to us in terms of stuff to actually speculate with. But if you're someone who leaks and you manufacture speculation for the sake of "fun," it just comes off as kind of ****ty honestly. Conveyance of information is generally the area in life you want to be most direct and forthcoming. If you have information to give, then just state it. We're already taking their "word" without physical proof that something is coming, we're already giving them trust and good faith to get far enough to consider a "leaker" a legitimate enough source to listen to them and take them at face value. That alone is not easy on people and it lets all kind of false stuff and information run rampant when nothing is clarified or more definitively stated. I'm sorry, I don't think this person is in an appropriate position to be treating Smash fans like that and send them on all kinds of wild chases for the "truth" or whatever have you, and I certainly don't think we should be promoting it to the degree we are.

I'll admit this may be my lived experience speaking to the fact that I prefer open, honest, and straightforward conversation above all else after years of seeing how indirect statements and withholding information causes issues both major and minor. So, again, I ask people take that for it is, but I think this is a very legitimate stance to take on this issue even if it does "suck the fun out of things" a little bit.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I don't think bird species are super common knowledge like that to be entirely fair. It could have intentionally been a Starling, but I wouldn't call Starlings exactly one of the classic birds that people learn growing up either (and to be fair, maybe that's just me, but I'd struggle to find any people I know that could name drop a starling outside of my biologist friends lol)
I know that you’re just trying to be realistic and skeptical, but this doesn’t sit right with me. Why are we acting like our own life experiences somehow affect another’s? Personally, I had never heard of a starling being a pest before, mainly because we don’t have them where I live. But it also goes the same way. There might be things around me that I know a ton about, but somebody 1,000 miles away has no clue that they even exist.

It’s a big mistake to paint with a broad brush considering how everyone is different and has unique experiences. What you may consider common knowledge might just be because of what you know compared to others. It’s a thing with internet lingo, birds, or whatever else. And if the image is taken by the leaker, even better. It lends credibility that they know what they’re photographing and how the two pieces fit together.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Dang mayun, took me forever to catch up since I was busy for the first part of today. I was sitting in a cafeteria earlier today and wondering what kind of news I'd come home to and I'm so relieved to hear about the Mii Costume missing.

All I can say is...INTERESTING

ZelDan

Smash Master
I know that you’re just trying to be realistic and skeptical, but this doesn’t sit right with me. Why are we acting like our own life experiences somehow affect another’s? Personally, I had never heard of a starling being a pest before, mainly because we don’t have them where I live. But it also goes the same way. There might be things around me that I know a ton about, but somebody 1,000 miles away has no clue that they even exist.

It’s a big mistake to paint with a broad brush considering how everyone is different and has unique experiences. What you may consider common knowledge might just be because of what you know compared to others. It’s a thing with internet lingo, birds, or whatever else. And if the image is taken by the leaker, even better. It lends credibility that they know what they’re photographing and how the two pieces fit together.
I think Eric's point is that, birds types beyond stuff like crows and pigeons aren't super common knowledge so it's possible that this insider maybe didn't know the bird was a starling.

Maybe he did, but you know, maybe he didn't.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Dang mayun, took me forever to catch up since I was busy for the first part of today. I was sitting in a cafeteria earlier today and wondering what kind of news I'd come home to and I'm so relieved to hear about the Mii Costume missing.

Hey! It's Doctor Evil! Who does #2 work for!?

D

Deleted member

I have been most of the day here because people literally only tagged me here to celebrate the news about DQ8 content in Smash.

Sounds odd to celebrate DQ stuff here? Yes. Is it still cool because people here actually act as if you exist and at the same time hype stuff regarding Geno is going on right now? You can bet on that without any doubts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
I have a moral quandary for you all. There's a button you can press, it will ensure that geno not only gets in, but subsequently will never be cut from future installments. The price you pay, however is that you can never play smash bros again. Will you press the button?
You silly goose. That's like asking someone if they'd take a billion dollars if they would agree to die immediately after. What's the point? That said, I'd trick my brother into pushing the button so I could have Geno all to myself. :grin:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Well again, I can't speak for the bird literacy rate anywhere in the world, but most people I know wouldn't be able to identify many species of birds if you asked them beyond biologists and the actual bird enthusiasts I know, which are clearly a small niche. Raven and crow are examples of birds that come up all the time in a variety of media with distinct symbolism behind them, so they're generally more well known on a public level. Doves are also a much more common bird that appears in media with certain symbolism. Starlings are common birds, but they aren't as particularly pushed to the forefront of things in the way other species are. Again, and I should have been more direct in how I stated this, speaking from my own experience since that's all I can speak to, the ability to identify bird species as a broad skill, even common ones, is not a particularly common skill from what I've seen and starlings don't quite enjoy the "mainstream" popularity of some other common bird types.

Firox

Smash Master
Day before Geno goes into production for Base Smash Ultimate:

Square: AS A SPIRIT

Sakurai: ****, but you said...

Square: We are altering the deal, pray we don't alter it any further. Cloud doesn't really have to be in base game... now does he?

Defeated Sakurai: ...as a Spirit then...

I don't ascribe to Square Enix as the big bad for Geno's chances in Smash, but it's occasionally fun to pretend they are.
The Darth Vader quote is classic no matter the context.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I think Eric's point is that, birds types beyond stuff like crows and pigeosn aren't super common knowledge so it's possible that this insider maybe didn't know the bird was a starling.

Maybe he did, but you know, maybe he didn't.
Yeah, I get the point, and I was just trying to say that just because you don’t know a specific thing doesn’t mean that someone else doesn’t. Obviously it could just be a mistake by the leaker if they misidentified the bird/didn’t intend it to be interpreted the way that it was, but if it wasn’t it’s not like they’re reaching into some super obscure vault of hidden knowledge. The birds are an invasive species in North America, so it’s also very possible that this person knows something because of their own experiences.

D

Deleted member

We have all returned from the depths of despair with a glimmer of hope in our souls from not seeing a Geno costume today.
And I am celebrating the DQ news here because some people invited me to do so.

And boy, am I glad that happened.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Petition to make Ovaltine the person to design Geno's thread on the fighter forum.
You flatter me, dude. :p That said, I'd love that opportunity if it happens, and that... no longer feels like such a pipe dream.

Also, yeah, LOOK at how many people are viewing the thread right now! Holy moly!!

... Shamelessly plugs the Geno doodles I did last night again...! :yoshi:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Holy ****, talk about a curveball! I was really sure we were gonna see the costume again. Looks like our fate isn't sealed today after all. Now I'm just wondering if we're gonna see it among some Square costumes later...

Also, hi, all. I took a short break from the thread due to real-life things (and also just being way too busy as of late to keep up with the INSANE levels of activity in this thread recently) and am glad to see we're still talking about the same bird picture. Guess I didn't miss much in these last 40 pages.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, I get the point, and I was just trying to say that just because you don’t know a specific thing doesn’t mean that someone else doesn’t. Obviously it could just be a mistake by the leaker if they misidentified the bird/didn’t intend it to be interpreted the way that it was, but if it wasn’t it’s not like they’re reaching into some super obscure vault of hidden knowledge. The birds are an invasive species in North America, so it’s also very possible that this person knows something because of their own experiences.
Oh, I'm very aware that the person taking the picture could well know that the bird was a Starling, but then the issue becomes, if I present this information to people, will they get the reference and is this the most effective way to communicate what I'm trying to leak? This specific species of bird meaning Starling and then Starling to Geno is a lot more complicated than a simple bear and bird picture for Banjo & Kazooie for example. Even the crab was meant as a blanket reference to the crab at Link's Awakening apparently. In those instances, species didn't matter and were meant to communicate a more general thing that didn't require deeper knowledge about what was in the picture on a specific level like the interpretation of Starling requires. I just don't see it fitting nicely within the previous pattern based upon on that, and again, I have major issues with this presentation of information in this manner anyway, so I'm harsher on it that I probably should be.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Guess I didn't miss much in these last 40 pages.
All you missed was all of us in despair until that video dropped, only proceeded by a bunch of star-spangled gits running around in circles and screaming.

Signed, one of those gits.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Patch 4.0.0
-Added hero from Dragon Quest
-please note: Hero can only be played with the Dragon Quest limited edition pro controller
-added new codename forest_puppet
-removed codename forest_puppet
-nerfed Greninja

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Patch 4.0.0
-Nerf
Can only be played with the Dragon Quest limited edition pro controller
-nerfed Greninja
Proceeds to buy the Dragon Quest Limited Edition Pro Controller and then returns to this thread.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Slender Slender You might actually be onto something. He probably DID take the picture himself so that it couldn't be backtraced because being able to backtrace it would pretty much immediately tell people what kind of bird it is. I want to say all his other hints could be found on Google images.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Slender Slender You might actually be onto something. He probably DID take the picture himself so that it couldn't be backtraced because being able to backtrace it would pretty much immediately tell people what kind of bird it is. I want to say all his other hints could be found on Google images.
Well, I wouldn't be able to say that Google images would be so reliable anyway. There are probably plenty of pictures of birds like that out there, and goodness knows their algorithm is far from perfect. Sourcing something isn't very easy via backtracing on there unless it's a very heavy-traffic and unique image. It's rarely ever worked out for me in terms of both photography and illustrations. For all we know, he got the image elsewhere, but only by going somewhere particularly off of the beaten path.

D

Deleted member

Ngl, it would be awesome if they released that Switch Pro controller sculpted as a DQ Slime released in the West.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
With the european starling being brought up again, I just remembered the following SMRPG character (I know the character surely isn't based off of that bird species but...).

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Ngl, it would be awesome if they released that Switch Pro controller sculpted as a DQ Slime released in the West.
I want it in all seriousness because it is just adorable and silly. I'd import it, but I don't even want to know how much it'd cost to do that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, I wouldn't be able to say that Google images would be so reliable anyway. There are probably plenty of pictures of birds like that out there, and goodness knows their algorithm is far from perfect. Sourcing something isn't very easy via backtracing on there unless it's a very heavy-traffic and unique image. It's rarely ever worked out for me in terms of both photography and illustrations. For all we know, he got the image elsewhere, but only by going somewhere particularly off of the beaten path.
But I kind of feel like that's the thing though. If the takeaway was just "bird", he would have 50 gorillion options on Google images or, Hell, even Clip Art. I feel like he wanted the bird to be somewhat esoteric without being obnoxious.

D

Deleted member

Only 3 hours left until it is 0:00am where I live.

Hopefully Hero drops at that moment since it will be July 31st already.

Firox

Smash Master
Oh, I'm very aware that the person taking the picture could well know that the bird was a Starling, but then the issue becomes, if I present this information to people, will they get the reference and is this the most effective way to communicate what I'm trying to leak? This specific species of bird meaning Starling and then Starling to Geno is a lot more complicated than a simple bear and bird picture for Banjo & Kazooie for example. Even the crab was meant as a blanket reference to the crab at Link's Awakening apparently. In those instances, species didn't matter and were meant to communicate a more general thing that didn't require deeper knowledge about what was in the picture on a specific level like the interpretation of Starling requires. I just don't see it fitting nicely within the previous pattern based upon on that, and again, I have major issues with this presentation of information in this manner anyway, so I'm harsher on it that I probably should be.
I gotta say, it's definitely understandable to have doubts about the whole starling clue. It's not only obscure, but could easily have a hidden meaning that we're not yet aware of. That's why I've decided to just set it aside and derive most of my hope and positivity from the lack of Mii costume. There's no ambiguity in that. Maybe in the interpretation, but I still think it's more of a positive sign than a negative one.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Hero looks busted lol i feel like DLC chars are always good.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Patch 4.0.0
-please note: Hero can only be played with the Dragon Quest limited edition pro controller
-nerfed Greninja
Bite your tongue, nave! We do not speak of such heresy!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
With the european starling being brought up again, I just remembered the following SMRPG character (I know the character surely isn't based off of that bird species but...).

Running into Dodo with the star was the funniest part of the game for me

Only 3 hours left until it is 0:00am where I live.

Hopefully Hero drops at that moment since it will be July 31st already.
The maintenance tonight should be between 01:00 and 02:00 UTC I think so you may have to wait until 03:00 in Spain to play, sorry

D

Deleted member

Running into Dodo with the star was the funniest part of the game for me

The maintenance tonight should be between 01:00 and 02:00 UTC I think so you may have to wait until 03:00 in Spain to play, sorry
Oh, it's fair then.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
So uh, *cough* I have something to announce... *taps microphone* Sabi's source has just confirmed in the last minute that the starling is, in fact, a hint of something that's coming. That is all.
Hello, I've been away for awhile for... things.

But please,
don't do this
don't give me hope
I can't
not again
I'm not strong enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom