• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
A Smash direct is certainly possible, but I don't think the DQ heroes are going to be the focus for it. Especially since the DQ heroes were basically confirmed as a July release. My guess is the Smash Direct will probably mention character #4 or at bare minimum a more concrete picture of Banjo's release date.
It could happen. I just feel if The Hero drops, he is going to be apart of a (theoretical) 4.0.0 drop as well. If that happens, then a Smash direct after EVO would not make sense any longer. 4.0.0 would have dropped, what more could be talked about other than a solid release date for Banjo and a potential DLC 4 fighter tease?

EDIT: wynn728 wynn728 PapaG has said that no one in his group used The Hero in their findings. At least that is what I remember.

Last edited:

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
If I were to be honest, I don't really see a point in a Smash direct unless there is a bonus character coming very soon that they want to talk about. The Content Approaching videos are like mini directs for Smash already. I honestly predict that Fighter #4 and #5 are gonna be in a fall normal direct, and the Game Awards. If there is another fighter in between then, than I can see some sort of Smash direct.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
I don't think they have enough to say for a full Smash bros direct. It's far more likely that it would be a regular Nintendo direct with a bit of smash bros news in there, rather then a full on smash one.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
An announcement for a Smash direct or big Smash thing for August at EVO would make sense for Geno, too. As someone else already mentioned, that's something that the core Smash fan base that supports Geno will be listening to. An announcement there leading into an August Smash direct where Geno is revealed as a bonus would make a lot of sense. Granted, I MASSIVELY doubt this perfect scenario myself, but wouldn't it be great?
I've considered this because the timing of the Smash Directs seem to have been deliberate. Ridley and Banjo were both E3 announcements and K. Rool was essentially an EVO announcement, along with Simon, Chrom, and Dark Samus who have long histories in the Smash fandom. Ken and Inceniroar's announcements seemed to be kind of an afterthought, Isabelle's was honestly more of a vessel to announce an AC for Switch was coming, and Joker was tailored to the VGA audience. In a hypothetical Smash Direct announced at EVO, the takeaway would probably be a character announcement that means a lot to the Smash fandom specifically.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
PapaG has said that no one in his group used The Hero in their findings. At least that is what I remember.
Oh man, now the only way for use to know if Google Theory was real or not is if Ryu & Doomslayer make it in or not. Those two would be great, but I'm good with anyone else besides a mook enemy and Steve.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Oh man, now the only way for use to know if Google Theory was real or not is if Ryu & Doomslayer make it in or not. Those two would be great, but I'm good with anyone else besides a mook enemy and Steve.
If we do get Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Slayer, I have to wonder what they would mean for the 5chan leak? With Google Theory, it would just because other DLC triggered the add and Artorias was in the Dark Souls DLC title. So that's why it triggered for him. But with the 5chan leak, it would basically mean Steve was leakbait. Meanwhile, the Jack Frost thing with Joker would have likely have been scrapped.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sorry, but I've gotta be blunt:

I can't believe we're still considering that ridiculous Google Theory in July 2019. I thought people had already pointed out how bunk it is eons ago. I'd recommend not bothering to consider it in the slightest.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

I can't believe we're still considering that ridiculous Google Theory in July 2019. I thought people had already pointed out how bunk it is eons ago. I'd recommend not bothering to consider it in the slightest.
Yeah, I don't buy it either, I'm just discussing a possible what-if scenario. I'm on team Doom/Resident Evil as far as DLC predictions go.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Well I'm just thinking that seeing how Banjo got in, nobody tried out The Hero, and Artorias triggered it because of the Dark Souls DLC could potentially mean that Google Theory might be real. People were trying Erdrick and not The Hero, so if The Hero was able to trigger it then Google Theory might have been legitimate. Well know when the fourth DLC fighter gets revealed, but it's interesting to think about.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind a Smash Direct, it's so boring right now. No new game announcements, no new major shake-ups besides Switch model updates, nothing, nada, niet. Just the final SP2 Splatfest, TH coming next week, that's it.

I don't see how on Earth it would get in the way of anything in this month of no-news, when we're still far away from the VGAs, and EVO proper doesn't start until next month. In the meantime, we have to deal with birds and otters for insider clues.

As it is right now, things are so slow that I'd rather play CTR: Nitro-Fueled to pass the time than discuss here.
Well, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 comes out this week which is a big deal seeing as it's another Nintendo exclusive (and is arguably a bigger reason for Hero not to release this week than the final Splatfest since this date has been planned for some time as a major release). We also just got the news that Luigi's Mansion 3 drops on Halloween. Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD was also just announced. And I feel like the Switch models are a pretty big deal too. There's actually quite a bit to talk about and we're about to go into Nintendo's most jam-packed holiday season ever anyway:

June 28 - Super Mario Maker (It JUST released, so I'm going to include it here)
July 19 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
July 26 - Fire Emblem Three Houses
August 31 - Astral Chain
September 13 - Daemon X Machina
September 20 - The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening
September 27 - Dragon Quest 11 S Definitive Edition
October 31 - Luigi's Mansion 3
November 15 - Pokemon Sword and Shield

And those are just the titles with announced release dates that are exclusive to Switch. Beyond that you've got things like Wolfenstein Youngblood, Doom Eternal, The Witcher 3, and so on all to discuss as major third party support. I don't know, to me, it just feels like there is sooooo much to talk about with that lineup when added on to Smash DLC discussion as well. And we're just a month out from E3 anyway, so I don't really get the reason to expect or even need that much more information. I don't know, it just kind of feels like there is so much more happening right now in the world of Nintendo. Again, Smash news wouldn't get in the way of anything else specifically as far as we know and I'm not saying that though.

At this point, you're more arguing against public perception than anything else. it seems a tad contradictory to say that people are more interested in the new releases than DLC, and in the same breath claim that the entire presentation was overshadowed by the reaction to Banjo's smash reveal. Whether we want it to be so or not, smash is huge, I have no words to describe how unbelievably huge it is. If nintendo believes that people want to see more of the other stuff, then that's what they'll showcase, but if people want more smash, then it's gonna be more smash. Personally, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for people to want more smash from nintendo either, as people, in my experience have an innate desire to not be strung along for long periods of time. People want info, and they're generally not very patient about it. It was the same thing with animal crossing. (though personally, I'm glad that they're taking their time to deliver a good product and not overworking their employees)
I didn't express that as clearly as I intended, so I do apologize. There's a group of people wholly uninterested in Smash who are more interested in new games. And those people want to hear about Nintendo's future beyond Smash and they've been given the back seat for pretty much a full year now. The only time that Smash hasn't had the prime time slot in a general Direct was February. They may not necessarily be as vocal as the Smash community is at screaming at reveals, but it's a tension that has generally festered a bit over the past year as far as I've seen. The admittedly quite sizable Smash community is the one who's responsible for the Banjo overshadowing everything else. That's more of what I was getting at and hopefully that clarifies my point a little.

I also have a huge problem with people's impatience in the community (surprise, surprise haha). This all reminds me so much of last July when we were only a month removed from the massive info dump of E3 and people were practically foaming at the mouth for more. I get people are anxious over characters, but we just got two character announcements that will take us through the Fall, is there really an honest need to have yet more Smash focus when it's just better saved for later in the year when they have to talk Smash again for the final two characters? Why are we only a month removed from E3 and people are acting almost comically impatient once again?

The Animal Crossing comparison doesn't really work super well though. New Leaf released in 2013 and the series has not had a main entry since then with a heavy focus on other projects (Happy Home Designer, Pocket Camp.... Amiibo Festival...). They'd gone a long time without a release when the game was announced in September 2018 and without gameplay it certainly caused anxiety in the community that had already waited 5 years for the game. By the game's release in 2020, it will have been 7 years without a mainline game and it will also be the first HD entry in the series. So I'm generally more understanding of their impatience, though honestly it seems like most AC fans I've talked to are just happy to have seen the game and know a release date and are content in waiting til that release. Meanwhile, we got Joker 3 months ago and two massive announcements with release windows less than a month ago for this year...

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Seeing a potentially Smash Direct coming soon after EVO 2019, reminded me of Street Fighter V's Season 3 Pass reveal trailer at the end of the Capcom Cup 2017 Grand Finals. The prior Season Passes, characters were revealed one at a time, and a silhouette for the remaining characters was shown (fans could only guess at the time). However, for the Season 3 Pass, they went all out revealing all of the fighters. They first of course showed a dedicated trailer to Sakura (who was the first character of Season 3), but THEN they showed a CG trailer which, showed Sakura, but then began showing the other characters coming to the pass. Seeing Nintendo's involvement within the FGC (flying the winners of the SSBU June Online Open Tournament to EVO), certainly they've been checking out how Capcom, Bandai Namco (ESPECIALLY them), and such have worked DLC for their fighting games. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Nintendo comes with a post SSBU Grand Finals surprise with a Smash Direct that goes into straight up revealing the remaining two DLC fighters to be revealed.

The Smash Direct could start off of course showing Hero's play style, stage, music; afterwards they would show the Square Enix Mii costumes. The follow up could be focused on explaining the potential new mode (if they're actually going to add another mode). Just as the Smash Direct is about to end, that would be when they reveal the kicker. Another CG trailer starts, first showing Hero, then shows Banjo and Kazooie entering the fray; nice, nice. THEN they show Fighter #4 (briefly), and "finally" Fighter #5 (also for a brief moment). This of course is all a possible scenario (just lil' ol' me thinking here).

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
The Smash Direct could start off of course showing Hero's play style, stage, music; afterwards they would show the Square Enix Mii costumes. The follow up could be focused on explaining the potential new mode (if they're actually going to add another mode). Just as the Smash Direct is about to end, that would be when they reveal the kicker. Another CG trailer starts, first showing Hero, then shows Banjo and Kazooie entering the fray; nice, nice. THEN they show Fighter #4 (briefly), and "finally" Fighter #5 (also for a brief moment). This of course is all a possible scenario (just lil' ol' me thinking here).
While I think this would be great, do you really think they would announce the whole Fighters pass before the second character is even released? If there is a Smash Direct, I'd be surprised if they even revealed Fighter #4 seeing as it's only been a month since the last two reveals.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
While I think this would be great, do you really think they would announce the whole Fighters pass before the second character is even released? If there is a Smash Direct, I'd be surprised if they even revealed Fighter #4 seeing as it's only been a month since the last two reveals.
Well, I'm not fully convinced that Nintendo would follow in the same steps but, I thought of it as a possibility. Capcom did it, and I gotta say, the trailer was pretty hype. And in that trailer, the returning characters were both new, and some were fan favorite veterans (like Sagat).

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
I could see them revealing the rest just so they won't have to deal with leaks anymore. But I also have heavy doubts that the next Nintendo direct would be a smash direct.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Sakurai did say he didn't like the idea of people buying something while not knowing its contents. Maybe the direct will make sure that people know what they're paying for.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai did say he didn't like the idea of people buying something while not knowing its contents. Maybe the direct will make sure that people know what they're paying for.
To be honest, it's kinda late for that.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I didn't express that as clearly as I intended, so I do apologize. There's a group of people wholly uninterested in Smash who are more interested in new games. And those people want to hear about Nintendo's future beyond Smash and they've been given the back seat for pretty much a full year now. The only time that Smash hasn't had the prime time slot in a general Direct was February. They may not necessarily be as vocal as the Smash community is at screaming at reveals, but it's a tension that has generally festered a bit over the past year as far as I've seen. The admittedly quite sizable Smash community is the one who's responsible for the Banjo overshadowing everything else. That's more of what I was getting at and hopefully that clarifies my point a little.

I also have a huge problem with people's impatience in the community (surprise, surprise haha). This all reminds me so much of last July when we were only a month removed from the massive info dump of E3 and people were practically foaming at the mouth for more. I get people are anxious over characters, but we just got two character announcements that will take us through the Fall, is there really an honest need to have yet more Smash focus when it's just better saved for later in the year when they have to talk Smash again for the final two characters? Why are we only a month removed from E3 and people are acting almost comically impatient once again?

The Animal Crossing comparison doesn't really work super well though. New Leaf released in 2013 and the series has not had a main entry since then with a heavy focus on other projects (Happy Home Designer, Pocket Camp.... Amiibo Festival...). They'd gone a long time without a release when the game was announced in September 2018 and without gameplay it certainly caused anxiety in the community that had already waited 5 years for the game. By the game's release in 2020, it will have been 7 years without a mainline game and it will also be the first HD entry in the series. So I'm generally more understanding of their impatience, though honestly it seems like most AC fans I've talked to are just happy to have seen the game and know a release date and are content in waiting til that release. Meanwhile, we got Joker 3 months ago and two massive announcements with release windows less than a month ago for this year...
Naturally other fandoms exist, and I imagine they're quite vocal as well. Smash is in a unique position of bringing together fans of a myriad franchises, each as large as the next, so the size of the smash fandom, and subsequently it's overwhelming vocality is an unfortunate symptom of that fact. Fans of smash are never just fans of smash, they're fans of zelda, of animal crossing, of mario, of franchises yet unrepresented. There's no feasible way the fandom cannot be vocal. It's understandable to feel some sense of irritation at it's demanding nature from time to time, but it can no more be helped than water can help being wet, a community of this size is bound to have more rough edges than a community of smaller stature. People are always going to be anxious when you get a bunch of them together for a thing they're excited for and you're like "we're gonna tell you some stuff, but we're not gonna say it just yet *cheeky smile*" I agree that people in general need to be more patient about things, but allowing yourself to get mad at it is more an exercise in futility than anything. I also think it's fair to guess that most of the complaining you see comes from a loud minority of smash fans, but let's not kid ourselves here, it is a big minority, and it might seem like the whole of the fanbase is discontent when that's unlikely to be the case.

As for other nintendo stuff, I highly doubt they will or have sacrificed anything for smash. Nintendo is a big company with a lot of projects in the works, many avenues to deliver quality products, and they aren't going to put any of those on hold for smash regardless of how loud the bellyaching becomes, but that also doesn't mean they aren't going to afford smash a large level of importance, as it's a series that not only prints money for itself, but acts as a walking advertisement for other franchises. I've once heard to it referred to as a kingmaker, and I'm inclined to agree with that assessment.

To make a long post short. I agree with you, people should be more patient, but don't let it get to you. We're all friends here, and we're all passionate about smash! Other nintendo properties aren't getting sacrificed for the sake of smash, and until they are, I don't think we will have collectively overstepped our bounds.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
OK, what? I never heard about a Nintendo and/or Smash Direct coming. Also, on November 1st, Sakurai stated very clear the contents you would get from the Fighters Pass: one fighter, one stage, and a few music tracks from their series.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
That leak does make some kind of sense.

2b May stem from those rumours of earlier talks with platinum games. Assuming Plat owns the character’s rights exclusively and square was literally just the publisher I could see this happening.

Crash Bandicoot would wrap up the early “console war” mascots essentially. Since he is just as iconic as Mario and Sonic in certain aspects.

Doom Slayer has been mentioned a few times. There really are no true FPS representatives. So a game celebrating video game history is bound to get some kind of rep for that genre. I was hoping master chief, I feel like he is a bit more iconic in that sense. Although Doomslayer has history on his side.

Then there’s Geno, I do see him being included in the future. Lol but I doubt he is being revealed anytime soon. In fact my guess is that we get Geno’s costume, and his character reveal is done after the first pack has concluded. If I had to throw it out there a smash direct on March 9th might be a possibility, or a timed release since this is around the time the first wave of dlc will end.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
OK, what? I never heard about a Nintendo and/or Smash Direct coming.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there have been rumors of some type of direct coming from leakers and Jon from GameXplain "otter posting" which he supposedly does before a direct or something. People have been speculating that the direct, whatever it may be, could be revealed at EVO.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there have been rumors of some type of direct coming from leakers and Jon from GameXplain "otter posting" which he supposedly does before a direct or something. People have been speculating that the direct, whatever it may be, could be revealed at EVO.
Oh, I get it. Could it possibly be revealed along with THIS bad boy?
(Sorry if the link involved isn't Smash related. It's still fighting game related though.)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't know why people keep saying that there's not enough content for a Smash Direct. Joker's was 15 minutes and the one that revealed Roy and Ryu was 18. Hell, Hero has a whopping 16 special attacks so they could probably burn a solid 10 minutes on just him, never mind explaining his stage and the music in it.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I don't know why people keep saying that there's not enough content for a Smash Direct. Joker's was 15 minutes and the one that revealed Roy and Ryu was 18. Hell, Hero has a whopping 16 special attacks so they could probably burn a solid 10 minutes on just him, never mind explaining his stage and the music in it.
Hero content + Mii costumes + free content coming with Hero + Banjo content + 4th character reveal = ~25-30 minutes, maybe?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Hero content + Mii costumes + free content coming with Hero + Banjo content + 4th character reveal = ~25-30 minutes, maybe?
I doubt we get Banjo content, I bet it'll be Hero/SE focused exclusively so that Hero gets his time to shine. But everything else you listed I agree with, so I'd expect around 15 minutes give or take. Hero showcase along with stage and music, costumes, updates to online/new mode (HRC), end with a character teaser.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm of the opinion that, if they can spend a good five minutes just explaining how to turn your brightness up or down, they can fill just about any freaking time allocation they need to.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
And comparing that to the dates of last year, we could be seeing this on Wednesday (8/7/19) after EVO with an announcement beforehand, maybe the 5th or 6th at latest.

EDIT: Anyone reading this and wants to make a fake leak, here is your date to focus on!:4pacman:
That's exactly a day before last August Direct so imagine if they revealed Geno there (if Geno is a DLC character) like how they revealed another fan favorite last time with K. Rool. That would certainly be amazing and by all means I would love that. I really hope that would be the case.

Yeah with how Hero brings a fully unique mechanic + 16 specials I could totally see them burning around 10-12 minutes on his moveset then 5 minutes on his stage, 5 minutes on the music he brings, 3-5 minutes on Mii Costumes, 5-8 minutes on the extra mode he could bring with him and of course if Geno is indeed a bonus DLC character spend 5-10 minutes on him. It could very well be a 20 to even 30 minute Direct if needed.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So, assuming the best scenario where Geno is a fighter pass character, I'm thinking the following:

Geno playable with a timed hit mechanic.

Mallow appears as part of Geno's taunts.

Stage based on Star Road (Exor smashes through stage and lands in the background as the battle is taken to Bowser's castle please? Could have Exor be defeated by different party members in the back and return to Star Road. Depends on who's playing, like how Dedede does in Green Greens)

Music Pieces includes Beware the Forest's Mushrooms, Battle Against an Armed Boss, Smithy phase 1, Grandpa and the Delightful Tadpoles, etc.

Spirits include Booster, Bowyer, Croco, Boshi, Smithy, Culex, etc.

How does that sound?
[Feel free to add or remove as you please]

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay, so I just had my first Geno dream ever(This has been a rather common occurrence here), but it was really weird. I think it was some tactical Mario game from a top down perspective with a variety of characters, including Geno, but his design was different. Like, rather than his normal blue cap, he was wearing a brown cap with goggles. And that is all I can recall. Still, nice to finally get one of those when it has been so common here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah with how Hero brings a fully unique mechanic + 16 specials I could totally see them burning around 10-12 minutes on his moveset then 5 minutes on his stage, 5 minutes on the music he brings, 3-5 minutes on Mii Costumes, 5-8 minutes on the extra mode he could bring with him and of course if Geno is indeed a bonus DLC character spend 5-10 minutes on him. It could very well be a 20 to even 30 minute Direct if needed.
Not to mention that Hero has 4 separate character ALTs and Sakurai will probably wax poetic about all four of them and explain their histories and design details.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
so how exactly does the 16 specials thing I keep hearing work? I get it's related to the menu but was there more info that what we got in the trailer?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I figured that nothing would happen until August anyway. Though it begs the question of why they'd leave Astral Chain completely out of what's meant to be a SUMMER ad.

So the question is once it is announced at EVO, will it be a Smash direct or General? It makes sense for it to be Smash with virtually nothing outside of Astral Chain to focus on in August.

Bigger question, if it is a Smash focused Direct, what could they talk about for almost 20ish minutes? If it even is that long.

EDIT: Checked their catalog and not much coming in August other than some indies...WAIT! Chroma Squad is coming to the Switch!? Happy Day!
Yup. So is Warlock's Tower, it figures that they'd eventually dropped the 3DS plans for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom