• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Geno's genuinely not in, it does raise the question of why they didn't bother making him an assist trophy. The assist trophy list was practically a parade of fan service this time around: Knuckles, Bomberman, Krystal, Black Knight, Rodin, Isaac, Sukapon, etc. It's not the preferred outcome but it's recognition at least.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If Geno's genuinely not in, it does raise the question of why they didn't bother making him an assist trophy. The assist trophy list was practically a parade of fan service this time around: Knuckles, Bomberman, Krystal, Black Knight, Rodin, Isaac, Sukapon, etc. It's not the preferred outcome but it's recognition at least.
I'm probably going to be stating a very unpopular opinion, but if Geno couldn't be playable, I would have LOVED to see him as an assist trophy. Seeing him in action again with a new 3D model would have left me very much sated. I would have been SUPER happy to see that. I know it would have broken a lot of hearts, and yeah, I would be sad about him not being playable, too, but it's better consolation than a crappy Mii costume port and a lazy PNG. It's far from the preferred outcome, yeah, but it's much better than what we're about to be dealt.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
I'm probably going to be stating a very unpopular opinion, but if Geno couldn't be playable, I would have LOVED to see him as an assist trophy. Seeing him in action again with a new 3D model would have left me very much sated. I would have been SUPER happy to see that. I know it would have broken a lot of hearts, and yeah, I would be sad about him not being playable, too, but it's better consolation than a crappy Mii costume port and a lazy PNG. It's far from the preferred outcome, yeah, but it's much better than what we're about to be dealt.
Yeah I agree, an assist trophy would be ideal. Especially what the modding community could do with it in the future.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah I agree, an assist trophy would be ideal. Especially what the modding community could do with it in the future.
What's even worse about the situation is the modding community for the Switch is really poor due to the Switch being hard as heck to hack without getting online banned. It hasn't blown up because it can render your $300 console unusable online... which means even a Geno mod to keep us sated is, at the moment, very unrealistic.

Thaaaaaanks, Nintendo.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Was Crono ever THAT highly demanded in Smash? I know he has had support but I've never seen it as Sora levels or especially Banjo/Ridley/K Rool levels.

I could see salt from Sora and geno costumes though. To be kinda fair it's not like Every SE character was going to get playable status. but yeah it's unfortuante that geno is getting the costume treatment again probably.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Was Crono ever THAT highly demanded in Smash? I know he has had support but I've never seen it as Sora levels or especially Banjo/Ridley/K Rool levels.

I could see salt from Sora and geno costumes though. To be kinda fair it's not like Every SE character was going to get playable status. but yeah it's unfortuante that geno is getting the costume treatment again probably.
Crono was always the "if we HAVE to get another anime Swordsmen. We want him" pick for many people.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

In the Brawl days he was fairly popular. Like Krystal and Bomberman, he was one of those characters that fell off hard when they didn't make the cut.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'm one of those in favor of Vista Hill when it comes to stages; it's just so iconic and I love the location of it. Another idea I've played around with is the possibility of a floating stage that flies over the Super Mario RPG island (even though it might seem typical at this point) it could take place on top of that flying blade the Axem rangers used to fly around, or maybe that sky bus you take to Bowser's Keep or something else. It'd be kind of nice to see all those old locations remastered in Smash Ultimate.

When it comes to these last two DLC slots, obviously Geno is one of my picks but the other I'd really like to see is Doomguy. I feel both serve very good purposes if they were to make it into this game. I do think Geno getting revealed last would make sense like final sendoff for Ultimate, the last goodbye of answered wishes if you will.

I'm not surprised at all by Geno's Mii costume possibly returning, I was actually expecting it in some form, so I'm not really phased by that news if it does come true. Still, I've no idea who they have planned for these last two character slots but I'm hoping it'll be time well spent with Sakurai involved.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Crono is the kind of character that would get demanded if a believable leak featuring him ever made the rounds. He's got the innate appeal that would get the revisionists claiming he was always really desired.

Sort of like Simon.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Talk behind the scenes right now is that the second Mii costume pack is going to be really salt inducing and I think I know why. Remember that list of seven accidentally leaked last year? My theory is that all of those characters are technically going to be playable. We already have Luminary, Erdrick, and Slime and Geno's a simple port so the costume returning is really high anyways meaning I theorize that Crono and Sora are both going to wind up as new Mii costumes. Not sure if this is definite because people are being super vague about it but someone even commented that the reveal video was probably going to be bombed with dislikes. I honestly can't think of anything else that would trigger that negative of a reaction.
I've been saying for months now that a DQ rep was going to cause backlash on social media. I feel like this was held off a bit with the announcement of Banjo and Kazooie which in the short-term placated most people who were not that happy with Hero/DQ getting in over Geno, Sora, Crono and I'm guessing Sephiroth is going to be there as well (i.e. actually highly requested characters). You could tell several big streamers giving their reactions were trying to act hyped for the reveal for any viewers they had that wre DQ fans. This **** is going to break the levy though. I most definitely believe Nintendo outside of Japan is going to get an earful about this especially from KH fans. Hell, fans in Japan also were requesting Sora, Geno, and Crono in numbers that way outmatched any DQ rep for years now. All I can say is the criticism is deserved to a certain extent for SE (and Sakurai as well to be honest) being so tone-deaf and ignoring what the majority of people the world over were requesting.

I will say though I think it's weird that Verge was told explicitly that from that list Geno was "definitely leakbait" if the list of 7 were actually mii costumes. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but maybe that means he isn't going to show up with the costumes either. If he is a costume I think a S2 of DLC is his only shot at this point. A surprise reveal would be welcomed and I wouldn't be surprised at SE nickel and dime-ing SMRPG fans with both a Geno costume and playable character but still.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
On the upside, the fact that Geno ISN'T an assist trophy is the strongest evidence that he could still get in. Costumes and Spirits aren't a definitive de-confirm as far as we know, so there's still reasonable cause to think there's hope. The downside, though, is that if he doesn't get in AND didn't make assist trophy, then we'll probably have to assume that for whatever reason (SE refusing to give the rights, Nintendo/Sakurai not actually giving a ****), Geno is simply beyond our reach. Again, as I've said, I don't see a logical reason for SE to be stingy about the rights considering they'd make a mountain of cash for doing virtually nothing, and Sakurai "claimed" to have wanted Geno in Smash before, but actions speak louder than words. We'll see soon enough where loyalties truly lie.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On another note, this scenario makes no SMRPG music in the game even more bull**** given everything they were able to negotiate with Dragon Quest and how Shimomura has been one of the biggest music contributers to Smash since Brawl. This being said, I do hope my theory is wrong.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Talk behind the scenes right now is that the second Mii costume pack is going to be really salt inducing and I think I know why. Remember that list of seven accidentally leaked last year? My theory is that all of those characters are technically going to be playable. We already have Luminary, Erdrick, and Slime and Geno's a simple port so the costume returning is really high anyways meaning I theorize that Crono and Sora are both going to wind up as new Mii costumes. Not sure if this is definite because people are being super vague about it but someone even commented that the reveal video was probably going to be bombed with dislikes. I honestly can't think of anything else that would trigger that negative of a reaction.
I'll be hugely, hugely surprised if they go through all the effort of obtaining Sora just for the likes of a Mii costume.

D

Deleted member

With these recent trends at Nintendo regarding the resurrection of licenses or characters like Metroid, K.Rool, Banjo or Luigi's Mansion; I do feel that they may have tried to negotiate something regarding Geno or at least SMRPG in general with Square (more so with the strength of their relationship on the current days).

If for some reason Geno is in Smash, I do feel that something may be going on outside of the fighting game, either big or minor.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
With these recent trends at Nintendo regarding the resurrection of licenses or characters like Metroid, K.Rool, Banjo or Luigi's Mansion; I do feel that they may have tried to negotiate something regarding Geno or at least SMRPG in general with Square (more so with the strength of their relationship on the current days).

If for some reason Geno is in Smash, I do feel that something may be going on outside of the fighting game, either big or minor.
All I can hope is that, if Geno isn't in Smash, they're doing something with him otherwise. Him being revived is all I want, and it doesn't HAVE to be Smash Bros. It's just his likeliest venue.

D

Deleted member

All I can hope is that, if Geno isn't in Smash, they're doing something with him otherwise. Him being revived is all I want, and it doesn't HAVE to be Smash Bros. It's just his likeliest venue.
I find that scenario likely.

Nintendo is currently resurrecting stuff here and there, and Square seems to be playing with them too in the current day.

Maybe a surprise reveal at a Nintendo Direct?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I find that scenario likely.

Nintendo is currently resurrecting stuff here and there, and Square seems to be playing with them too in the current day.

Maybe a surprise reveal at a Nintendo Direct?
That'd be great, but for reasons that EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman already went over a page or two back, I worry that it isn't as likely as it seems.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Something I just remembered from the Famitsu interview with Sakurai that was just released last week is the fact that the E3 reveals had not been made and therefore Sakurai could not discuss Hero or Banjo. But he did make several comments about nostalgia and how what we are interested in as kids is important to people growing up and how that molds their tastes and interests int he future. It definitely seemed like that was an allusion to both Dragon Quest for him and Banjo-Kazooie for western audiences. There's supposed to be another interview published 2 weeks after that one where he's able to talk about the reveals and that may be where he sheds a light on picking the Hero over other requested SE characters.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One thing that makes me doubt my theory is that the Mii costumes would be three more swordsmen (Sephiroth, Sora, and Crono) when we've already gotten two with Joker. Looking at Smash 4 and this game, the numbers for the archetypes aren't totally even but the difference is pretty small so having swordsmen take such a significant lead doesn't seem likely, especially since having at least one archetype per pack seems to be intentional. I also seriously doubt they would totally forego a DQ costume, even if there's a 10^10% chance there's going to be a Slime hat. At least one of those three swordsmen winding up as a costume wouldn't surprise me though because Sora or Sephiroth would be really, really salt inducing.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I sincerely doubt every character from the list will be receiving a mii costume. Especially Sora considering how much effort would be put in for lisencing just to get only that out of it.

I see us getting more DQ and Final Fantasy costumes more than anything.

Like potentially a slime hat. A Tifa Brawler outfit. A Barrett gunner outfit etc.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
One thing that makes me doubt my theory is that the Mii costumes would be three more swordsmen (Sephiroth, Sora, and Crono) when we've already gotten two with Joker. Looking at Smash 4 and this game, the numbers for the archetypes aren't totally even but the difference is pretty small so having swordsmen take such a significant lead doesn't seem likely, especially since having at least one archetype per pack seems to be intentional. I also seriously doubt they would totally forego a DQ costume, even if there's a 10^10% chance there's going to be a Slime hat. At least one of those three swordsmen winding up as a costume wouldn't surprise me though because Sora or Sephiroth would be really, really salt inducing.
If they're picking from the list I think Crono is the most likely. I would put money on Sephiroth over Sora also solely due to how much easier negotiations would be. If one of them is Sora then that's a big wew from me and probably most other people because of how many hoops they'd have had to jump through just to get that costume. The optimistic side of me is also wondering if we'll get costumes of the DQ heroes present in the Final Smash that aren't playable and other popular party members from the series.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I sincerely doubt every character from the list will be receiving a mii costume. Especially Sora considering how much effort would be put in for lisencing just to get only that out of it.

I see us getting more DQ and Final Fantasy costumes more than anything.

Like potentially a slime hat. A Tifa Brawler outfit. A Barrett gunner outfit etc.
MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28

My man, I think Tifa's going to get an even bigger nerf than she did in FF7R. :p

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
1 year and 999 pages later, it's weird to look back on your first introduction.
I have been following this thread for awhile now and I have decided to follow the example of others and make an account to support Geno and build on the discussion. I am curious about one thing related to Geno and can't recall if this was discussed, but what sort of stage would represent SMRPG if he got in? Even though he is from the Mario universe, every third party character has gotten a stage for themselves so it is not out of the question.
Funny how my question pertains to a SMRPG stage, considering we just discussed that again. I wasn't too sure about posting here back then, but this thread and many otheres jave goven me a lot of great moments and good speculation, as well as good comrades. Tgere has been some rough patches, but this has been an enjoyable year.

I hope the next will bring even better things.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The rumblings of salt would come to fruition even if it was just the Geno costume. It certainly doesn't need to, and almost definitely won't be, the entire list.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno. The Geno fanbase took the Mii costume fairly well (probably because we were just exhausted at that point) and even before talks of DLC, the return of the Mii costume was fairly expected since Inkling, Isabelle, K. Rool, etc saw theirs return anyways. I don't think Geno alone would cause that much backlash as a lot of people jumped ship as soon as the Dragon Quest rumors came about anyways and especially when he was shown to be a spirit and online icon.

Firox

Smash Master
To condemn Sephiroth to a mii costume would be an absolute travesty. After Cloud was gloriously added to the roster, you would think that SE has more respect for their poster boy's rival and trademark villain. I mean, trying to portray Sephiroth as one of those repugnant skins would be like reducing the Sistine Chapel to a bathroom wall doodle. It wouldn't just be salt inducing, I would literally turn into a pillar of salt.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Well, if we do end up with an array of popular Square characters as Mii Costumes, it at least further emphasizes that Nintendo and Square are working more closely. That itself is good news for Geno & Mario RPG for the future. While I’m never going to turn away Geno’s costume returning, after all these years and all this support something just doesn’t feel right with the number of additions and upgrades in Smash Ultimate. That said, Nintendo and Square’s improved relationship I feel will make them more receptive to requests for SMRPG content going forward.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I dunno. The Geno fanbase took the Mii costume fairly well (probably because we were just exhausted at that point) and even before talks of DLC, the return of the Mii costume was fairly expected since Inkling, Isabelle, K. Rool, etc saw theirs return anyways. I don't think Geno alone would cause that much backlash as a lot of people jumped ship as soon as the Dragon Quest rumors came about anyways and especially when he was shown to be a spirit and online icon.
Well hopes have been a lot higher for Geno this time around than last. On the other hand, expectations were never high for any other remaining Square characters anyway. Bar Sora, who I think is exceedingly unlikely given the logistics behind that inclusion for the payoff of just a costume.

And maybe people jumped ship when the DQ rumours came about (though given this thread and others like it - I'd question that), but they never really boarded the Crono or Sephiroth ships to begin with. Frankly I think people would be more surprised they got included at all.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm speculating they're probably just going to use Crono, FF, DQ, and or Mana series costumes since KH would be a rather costly effort just for a Mii Fighter costume

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If we do get a mii costume. I hope they at least update it a bit and give it a full heard. It’s impossible to make a good looking Geno mii.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I just wish Square and Nintendo would get close enough again to invest in another game with each other. It's obvious that Nintendo has a stake in making DQ as big over here as they can get it to be but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about a new foray into a world like they did with Mario. If we could get a love letter of a game like Super Mario RPG with their modern sense of artistic integrity like we see in Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy VII Remake it would be a true masterpiece.
Oh god no.

The only thing I would want from KH3 for SMRPG is looking amazing, and that could easily be done from a unique artistic expression rather than modern graphics. Anything else taken from KH3 would ruin it as KH3 is a mediocre game at best.

Well those slots are including alts for the Fighters Pass characters and whatnot so Joker takes up two I believe, Hero takes up four, Banjo takes up one, Piranha Plant takes up one, That's eight right there. So 22 slots are technically left.

Later there was another thing that came up suggesting 16 slots which Piranha Plant and the Fighters Pass would take up six of those but it doesn't include alts if I'm not mistaken. That's 10 slots for extra characters but I personally feel like it's just future proofing if case Sakurai decides to do more characters and nothing more. Of course I would love to be mistaken but I doubt they'll do two more Fighters Passes possibly one more but two I kind of doubt.

Plus Sakurai spoke out against doing more DLC after this if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, he did. And guess what? We have DLC. Nintendo holds his personal passion for Smash over his head, and Sakurai would have to either accept and make more DLC, or let someone else do it...pretty sure we know the latter ain't happening.

True, but that probably doesn't matter to Square in any which way. Square doesn't look at fan polls or fan wants 90% of the time. Phil and Sakurai were aware of Banjo, but only Sakurai seems to be aware of Geno.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. They already went out of their way to get Geno's rights to do heck-all with him, so doing that for Crono and Sora would be astoundingly bad, as well.

"But they wouldn't do that, especially since Sora and Crono are beloved characters!"

They did it for Geno. Why wouldn't they do it for Sora and Crono?

EDIT: This also goes hand-in-hand with Sabi's source mentioning Geno as possible DLC. I could see NoA viewing the return of the Geno Mii costume as very salt-inducing.
MajoraMan28 MajoraMan28

My man, I think Tifa's going to get an even bigger nerf than she did in FF7R. :p
Okay, can we PLEASE stop with the Square Enix hate?

First, off, you are just wrong about Tifa, milady Duck Queen: she looks absolutely fine. She's still busty, beautiful and badass but she's not FF's retro Lara Croft in the same way that Lara Croft isn't just a jiggle physics engine of a character. You don't have to 1-1 everything, sometimes you really need to re-imagine classics, and FF7R is literally the example of that.

You know what else it's an example of? A goddamn love letter from Square Enix to their fans.

If you have the time to watch this, I REALLY suggest you do. This is a very important video for you to get an idea of how big FF7R is. But if you can't...

It's not just a remake of one of the greatest JRPGs ever. It's not just a re-imagining that is being handled correctly.

It's a game being made by both the people who made the original so amazing and by fans who grew up playing the game and loved it and are now making the remake. On top of this, whenever they felt like they lost their way or were struggling, they were given a video to watch. It's a reaction video of the guy above losing his mind at the announcement of FF7R because it's his favorite game of all time. They used the reaction video of a mega-fan to inspire them to keep working on the game. A JAPANESE company used the REACTION VIDEO of an AMERICAN MEGA-FAN to INSPIRE THEM TO STAY ON THE RIGHT DEVELOPMENT PATH!

If this isn't the biggest deal in gaming, I don't know what is.

This is why it pisses me off when you all talk **** about Square Enix. Sure, there may be people working there who care about numbers and money more than the fans. Sure, Square may not also agree to the things we would like them to. But they aren't this evil demonic corporation holding the things we love hostage: they do what they think is right and they take their sweet ass time with it. FF7R got completely overhauled and started again from scratch because they were not satisfied with the results, and now look how amazing it is! The Avengers game looks amazing for not having true game footage. They actually managed to find the files and data to release an HD Remaster of FF8 despite saying for a long time they lost it all. They are releasing games in series we never got to finish because they never came to the states and they are even remakes others titles. On top of that they are releasing their big old games on all consoles so EVERYONE can play while still making deals with Nintendo for crazy good games.

Just because our beloved character from a single game over two decades ago may not come back just yet doesn't mean Square is a terrible company.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, let's talk about Mii Costumes.

First off, Slime Hat is basically a lock. I'm not sure we will get more DQ costumes than that considering all the heroes are in the Final Smash, but Morgana is a taunt and has a hat so idk. Considering what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said about there being mostly Mii Sword Fighter costumes in the last pack, I could see Geno's costume to be even more likely to return to balance that out. I would also expect the Chocobo Hat to return and maybe Sephiroth, Tidus, Lighting or Noctis to get a costume. Could be more than one of them. They could also pull out a costume from another series like Crono from ChronoTrigger or something from Secret of Mana. I assume that they will get the same amount of content, so three new outfits and two returning for a total of five.

I would also like to add that Geno's Mii Costume returning isn't as much of a deconfirmation as I originally thought, though I would say I'd be more hopeful for him if it didn't show up than if it did. It just really doesn't mean much in terms of him coming back when you see that other characters also got in and their Mii Costumes are there.

As for those not happening, Sora ain't gonna be a Mii Costume. Anyone who thinks that suddenly doubts Disney and Nomura. They would never agree to that and making a sword a Keyblade just for that? What? Nah, Sora will likely never show up until he's playable, and then they would bring more FF costumes and the like with him, maybe even a Riku one since his earlier weapons didn't even look much like Keyblades.

As for the idea that all of those characters on the list will be costumes is crazy to me. Yes, Vergeben was partially right, but not wholly. We don't need to start stroking his ego on everything he ever said just because part of something he said a while back happened: Minecraft still has nothing at all, we have no proof he knew about Piranha Plant before we knew about it, he didn't know about Joker at all, and he bombed on the February Direct. He was also against Banjo's chances right up until the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. They already went out of their way to get Geno's rights to do heck-all with him, so doing that for Crono and Sora would be astoundingly bad, as well.

"But they wouldn't do that, especially since Sora and Crono are beloved characters!"

They did it for Geno. Why wouldn't they do it for Sora and Crono?

EDIT: This also goes hand-in-hand with Sabi's source mentioning Geno as possible DLC. I could see NoA viewing the return of the Geno Mii costume as very salt-inducing.
Wait, hold on a second. I thought Sabi and her source got C&D'd

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
The return of Geno’s Mii costume would say to me that he will not be one of the round 1 DLC characters, but wouldn’t necessarily exclude him from a potential second Fighter Pass in my eyes. Considering my opinion at the moment is that it’s exceedingly unlikely that Geno is one of the two remaining characters in this fighter pass, I would be very happy to get Geno’s costume back. I’d finally have a Mii Gunner costume for this game that I’d be interested in using, like Skull Kid for Brawler and Viridi for Swordfighter. I wouldn’t even care if it was directly ported from 4, personally.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
First, off, you are just wrong about Tifa, milady Duck Queen: she looks absolutely fine. She's still busty, beautiful and badass but she's not FF's retro Lara Croft in the same way that Lara Croft isn't just a jiggle physics engine of a character. You don't have to 1-1 everything, sometimes you really need to re-imagine classics, and FF7R is literally the example of that.
Oh no, I don't dislike her design at all. I actually love it. I don't see why people are quite so up-at-arms over her bust size. She looks pretty damn good. I was just joking around.

That said, with everything else with Square, eh. You have very good points. I'm just a bitter ***** and rather petty because of Geno's tragic fate, I'll admit, lmao.
This was from the Geno watercooler rumor eons ago, so this was before the C&D.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I feel like calling Nintendo tone deaf in the face of Banjo Kazooie is well... equally tone deaf. Like we pulled the hat trick of Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo Kazooie in the same game in addition to everything else. It's really hard for me to criticize the decisions made with Smash (besides online, but Nintendo is actually incompetent all around on that front) at that point since there has been a clear focus on fan requests and improvements (and for probably the hundredth time, we were never going to get all fan requests and I still stand by it being disappointing if that were the case).

The only one of the reported Mii costumes that would actually be tone deaf would actually be Sora just because of how much effort you'd have to go through to get a costume (Well, presumably, for all we know it might actually be stupidly easy to get all Square Enix content and Nintendo just doesn't like the prices of music and Spirits for Final Fantasy). He's definitely the biggest Square Enix rep not currently in the game and likely one of the new top dogs of speculation as a never-ever considering how he is tied to Disney. So, again, I'd understand more of the backlash on him if they could secure the rights only so far on him. That said, I sincerely doubt that is happening. I'm almost confident it won't because it sounds so absurd and doesn't make sense for anyone involved since Disney and Square Enix both highly value Kingdom Hearts as a money maker and major product.

Even Sephiroth makes some sense as a Mii fighter costume. Square Enix has definitely been willing to stick him in other things throughout the past 20 years, even if it doesn't look great.
Cloud is undoubtedly the focus of Final Fantasy in Smash, and Mii Costumes would be a way to get that representation looking better overall. Barrett Gunner and Tifa Brawler would make a whole lot of sense too. With the Remake coming out next year, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see all of them. Mii Costumes operate as a compromise in many ways, and I doubt this would be any different.

On the topic of Crono. I'd be kind of surprised to see his Mii costume because I thought the Chrono series was dead with Square Enix beyond endlessly porting Chrono Trigger to things. Even if he gets a Mii costume, I think it makes a lot of sense for him to be relegated to that role given Chrono's lack of a future and more limited appeal. Chrono just isn't a series or really even game that Square seems to treat with any real respect.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I feel like calling Nintendo tone deaf in the face of Banjo Kazooie is well... equally tone deaf. Like we pulled the hat trick of Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo Kazooie in the same game in addition to everything else. It's really hard for me to criticize the decisions made with Smash (besides online, but Nintendo is actually incompetent all around on that front) at that point since there has been a clear focus on fan requests and improvements (and for probably the hundredth time, we were never going to get all fan requests and I still stand by it being disappointing if that were the case).
Yeah, you're right. I'm ecstatic B-K are in and I shouldn't be so grumpy over Geno, honestly.

I apologize. I said a lot of stupid and illogical things. Emotions got the better of me again. Yikes.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

The only one of the reported Mii costumes that would actually be tone deaf would actually be Sora just because of how much effort you'd have to go through to get a costume (Well, presumably, for all we know it might actually be stupidly easy to get all Square Enix content and Nintendo just doesn't like the prices of music and Spirits for Final Fantasy). He's definitely the biggest Square Enix rep not currently in the game and likely one of the new top dogs of speculation as a never-ever considering how he is tied to Disney. So, again, I'd understand more of the backlash on him if they could secure the rights only so far on him. That said, I sincerely doubt that is happening. I'm almost confident it won't because it sounds so absurd and doesn't make sense for anyone involved since Disney and Square Enix both highly value Kingdom Hearts as a money maker and major product.

Even Sephiroth makes some sense as a Mii fighter costume. Square Enix has definitely been willing to stick him in other things throughout the past 20 years, even if it doesn't look great.
Cloud is undoubtedly the focus of Final Fantasy in Smash, and Mii Costumes would be a way to get that representation looking better overall. Barrett Gunner and Tifa Brawler would make a whole lot of sense too. With the Remake coming out next year, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see all of them. Mii Costumes operate as a compromise in many ways, and I doubt this would be any different.

On the topic of Crono. I'd be kind of surprised to see his Mii costume because I thought the Chrono series was dead with Square Enix beyond endlessly porting Chrono Trigger to things. Even if he gets a Mii costume, I think it makes a lot of sense for him to be relegated to that role given Chrono's lack of a future and more limited appeal. Chrono just isn't a series or really even game that Square seems to treat with any real respect.
Companies can be tone deaf on some things and on the money about others. Making good decisions that please the community doesn’t completely absolve Nintendo of making other mistakes. I don’t think things are that black and white.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Actually, even though they never appeared together in a game, I could totally see them pairing Twink from Paper Mario with Geno for taunts or his victory screen.

View attachment 228261

Both are Star Spirits, both originated from a Super Mario RPG, both had adventures dealing with the 7 Star Pieces (Spirits in Paper Mario), and both have responsibilities towards wishes. If they COULD work in Mallow without it looking shoehorned or awkward I'd go for him, but thematically if they wanted a small, cute mascot to pop in with Geno then this could be a good alternative.
My headcannon was always that Geno was reborn AS Twink after re-ascending after the events of SMRPG. And once again as Starlow for the Mario & Luigi games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just Sabi. Her main Nintendo source is completely safe. The Discord will still be hearing stuff and I'll still vaguely talk about things I've heard from that expanded circle (like this whole discussion going on right now), it's just that Sabi legally isn't allowed to talk about Nintendo stuff in public anymore.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
They ported over Knuckles' and Tails' costumes with Joker, so at least in terms of ported ones, it really isn't so farfetched.
Shoot, totally forgot about them. On the other hand, they're costumes from an existing crossover IP, and not a brand new one. I guess I just think that introducing a brand new IP crossover via something as relatively mundane as DLC costumes, accompanying an unrelated fighter, would be weird. But yea, they could just do a short, special introduction just for the costumes and call it a day. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom