• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It does kind of suck to play with people's feelings like that, when people post leaks or fake outs and all that, but this is the final stretch, and we just gotta hold out til we get some news. No need to buy into what people are saying. And in a way it's kind of funny, even if it's also not something people should do.

So just brush it off and look forward to the actual good stuff. you know what i mean, the stuff. ;)
and enjoying yourself however you can :)

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who replayed SMRPG as an adult and realized the whole Booster part is like one long acid trip? **** is honestly hilarious.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Am I the only one who replayed SMRPG as an adult and realized the whole Booster part is like one long acid trip? **** is honestly hilarious.
Seemed fine to me. Though I guess the train is kind of weird in a way.. ;p
the secret retro mario curtain easter egg was cool tho. I remember finding it and finding that so cool.

Dan

Smash Lord
Seemed fine to me. Though I guess the train is kind of weird in a way.. ;p
the secret retro mario curtain easter egg was cool tho. I remember finding it and finding that so cool.
You have to read the dialogue... too much stuff to name. Like how the Snifits want to throw the living cake into Booster's mouth and do and are just like "yep; wedding was a success" while Mario walks out with Peach on his arm, and of course the (in)famous scene of Booster kissing Bowser.

Like Booster and the Snifits are the enemy but there's that weird Looney Tunes dynamic where they act stupid and allow you to help them; definitely worth a replay, not to mention I went into the cake battle without Mallow or healing items so I had to abuse the SNES Classic save state feature to luckily beat it, because the last time I saved was before Knife/Grate Guy (Nintendo was on some kind of creative high when they made this).

This game doesn't get enough love: perfect amount of humor, seriousness, super creative characters, the combat is just deep enough and the pseudo 3D is super charming and hasn't aged a bit; such a far cry from what Nintendo is producing these days.

'96 was unbelievable, with the release of this and then Mario 64 shortly after... totally comparable to Rabbids followed by Odyssey last year; I don't care what anyone says, but Mario/Rabbids feels like SMRPG to me, between the humor and all the other stuff I listed.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
After seeing the end result of crunchii's theatrics, i can't say im surprised. Though it is funny when someone who pokes the sleeping bear complains when said bear starts mauling them.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
At this point I'm pretty sure there are only 2 more unique newcomers Incineroar and Geno. If there is a 3rd Isaac might get in but Shantae as no chance.
Agree to disagree my friend. I still think there is a chance for the others, more than you might realize in fact. Also, I believe we will be getting 108 stages, which would likely be helped by some new franchises being introduced.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
At this point I'm pretty sure there are only 2 more unique newcomers Incineroar and Geno. If there is a 3rd Isaac might get in but Shantae as no chance.
Shantae was just as highly requested as Shovel Knight in the Smash Ballot and before you say she will be an Assist Trophy, she would have been shown off with Shovel Knight if that was the case. She has lot of evidence towards possibly being in the game as a fighter.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I kind of think the Sora vs Geno debate is kind of dumb because the characters function considerably different from one another so there really is no real competition. Sora's, for all intents and purposes, a magic using swordsman while Geno's a projectile technician. To frame it differently, how much would it make sense to pit Robin against Megaman? Shulk against Villager? Hell, even Mii Swordsman against Mii Gunner highlights how ridiculous this is given they specifically fill certain archetypes. This isn't to say that both will be in but the chances of one being considered in relation to the other is ridiculous. They both have enough of their own merits to stand on their own and I don't think Sakurai uses Venn diagrams like people regularly think he does. On that note, K. Rool vs Dixie and Shantae vs Shovel Knight was always ridiculous too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I kind of think the Sora vs Geno debate is kind of dumb because the characters function considerably different from one another so there really is no real competition. Sora's, for all intents and purposes, a magic using swordsman while Geno's a projectile technician. To frame it differently, how much would it make sense to pit Robin against Megaman? Shulk against Villager? Hell, even Mii Swordsman against Mii Gunner highlights how ridiculous this is given they specifically fill certain archetypes. This isn't to say that both will be in but the chances of one being considered in relation to the other is ridiculous. They both have enough of their own merits to stand on their own and I don't think Sakurai uses Venn diagrams like people regularly think he does. On that note, K. Rool vs Dixie and Shantae vs Shovel Knight was always ridiculous too.
I agree. It's very possible we could get Geno for base and Sora for DLC as well as Dixie Kong. That fan rule people make up ''Only one of them can get in!'' is ridiculous.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You have to read the dialogue... too much stuff to name. Like how the Snifits want to throw the living cake into Booster's mouth and do and are just like "yep; wedding was a success" while Mario walks out with Peach on his arm, and of course the (in)famous scene of Booster kissing Bowser.

Like Booster and the Snifits are the enemy but there's that weird Looney Tunes dynamic where they act stupid and allow you to help them; definitely worth a replay, not to mention I went into the cake battle without Mallow or healing items so I had to abuse the SNES Classic save state feature to luckily beat it, because the last time I saved was before Knife/Grate Guy (Nintendo was on some kind of creative high when they made this).

This game doesn't get enough love: perfect amount of humor, seriousness, super creative characters, the combat is just deep enough and the pseudo 3D is super charming and hasn't aged a bit; such a far cry from what Nintendo is producing these days.

'96 was unbelievable, with the release of this and then Mario 64 shortly after... totally comparable to Rabbids followed by Odyssey last year; I don't care what anyone says, but Mario/Rabbids feels like SMRPG to me, between the humor and all the other stuff I listed.
See, scenarios like that are why I like SMRPG better than some of its successors; not always an arbitrary single area focused on finding a star, SMRPG felt like a semi-long and wild adventure that makes it feel rewarding when you finally track down a star after going through various shenanigans.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Honestly, I'm curious: do you guys think Source Gaming will do a Rate That Character on Geno? Because, I'm pretty surprised they haven't yet.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Shantae was just as highly requested as Shovel Knight in the Smash Ballot and before you say she will be an Assist Trophy, she would have been shown off with Shovel Knight if that was the case. She has lot of evidence towards possibly being in the game as a fighter.
Look I’d love to see Shantae in Smash, but I’m genuinely worried just how far the Shantae support has gotten with just the NDA thing. So much of their support has been dependent on that, and while they may be generally open, literally any inclusion in Smash would be grounds to uphold a NDA. We still have assist trophies left to reveal in all likelihood, and I feel like there’s an above average chance a lot of us are going to be very disappointed with those.

We all just kind of assumed that Sakurai would let us down more easily than hold back assist trophies cruelly, but I’m afraid that may not be the case. We’ll see in the next Direct, but damn if it’s not a possibility all of Smash speculation might need to consider.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Look I’d love to see Shantae in Smash, but I’m genuinely worried just how far the Shantae support has gotten with just the NDA thing. So much of their support has been dependent on that, and while they may be generally open, literally any inclusion in Smash would be grounds to uphold a NDA. We still have assist trophies left to reveal in all likelihood, and I feel like there’s an above average chance a lot of us are going to be very disappointed with those.

We all just kind of assumed that Sakurai would let us down more easily than hold back assist trophies cruelly, but I’m afraid that may not be the case. We’ll see in the next Direct, but damn if it’s not a possibility all of Smash speculation might need to consider.
The Shantae thread knows this. The main reason Shantae support is so big is not only the possible NDA, but also a possible NCC.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Non Compete Clause.
Before anyone asks, it means when something is not legally allowed to be used in something similar that could be considered competition or the initial contract is cancelled and made null and void, possibly with legal retribution if that was part of the original deal. In this case, the Shantae fanbase has found it coincidental that Shantae, despite being popular for indie cameos, has not been in any Indie fighting games as of yet, and believe it to be that Shantae has a NCC due to her eventual Smash reveal.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Before anyone asks, it means when something is not legally allowed to be used in something similar that could be considered competition or the initial contract is cancelled and made null and void, possibly with legal retribution if that was part of the original deal. In this case, the Shantae fanbase has found it coincidental that Shantae, despite being popular for indie cameos, has not been in any Indie fighting games as of yet, and believe it to be that Shantae has a NCC due to her eventual Smash reveal.
It has also in stark contrast to Shovel Knight, who appears in most of them. It's what makes the Shantae thread believe that she is something other than an assist trophy.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
It has also in stark contrast to Shovel Knight, who appears in most of them. It's what makes the Shantae thread believe that she is something other than an assist trophy.
Yeah. That's what's strange. WayForward being quiet is different from how YachtClubGames openly discussed Smash. Shovel Knight is also in many crossover indie fighters while Shantae is in zero despite being a popular request.

So that's why we all think it's strange.

But enough Shantae, more on Geno. I wonder why Square wouldn't let Geno in Smash before. I know he's not Square'e big icon but he apparently means a lot to Nintendo fans. You'd think they'd be cool with it. I'm gonna guess they finally did for Ultimate though.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

For the love of everything Smash since Pre-2007, Sakurai I beg of you, do NOT bring back Isaac as an assist trophy. Don't do that to our brothers. Waluigi, Lyn, Zero, Krystal, Knuckles and Shovel Knight are all one thing: Those fans have (mostly) moved on and understand reasons being and are grateful, but Isaac is on a whole other level. Even if he's not in the base game just don't have him as an assist trophy, as thus far that means no dice for them being playable in the same game. You know your fanbase and what they have asked for since Brawl and beyond, do NOT DO this Sakurai please.

As for Shantae at this point I just hope she makes it just so I don't have to be attacked online when I lose it at Geno's announcement.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hello, 'tis I, who's come here to seek refuge from the evil that's quickly spreading throughout my home town.

So, anything new on the Geno front? :)
Geno image leak pretty much confirmed to be fake. I think that's about it.
Still has a lot of chance regardless.

Also, I think people havent talked about the ballot in a while, but that's another reason why Geno, Isaac and Shantae have good chances as well. We dont know the actual results, but we can be pretty confident that they did very well, based on the bigger samples.
It's really just up to Sakurai deciding what to do with each. The skies are open.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno also has some evidence in his favor surrounding Sakurai:

-Sakurai acknowleded he's "very popular" and he "get's a lot of requests"

-Mii Costume after ballot, I assume to give fans a way to sorta play as Geno with what he could do within a certain timeframe (a unique fighter would take a year, and since Ultimate's project plan was finished in December 2015 and he tried to get Cloud first to best represent SE, well...you know)

-While the Vifam figure's rifle could be used for an item or another character, its round barrel could also be used as a reference for help designing Geno's arm-cannon

Shantae also has WayForward's silence after their pushing for the ballot, and Isaac has his own longtime fan-demand and that tweet from Sakurai though tbh it could just be a reference.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Geno also has some evidence in his favor surrounding Sakurai:

-Sakurai acknowleded he's "very popular" and he "get's a lot of requests"

-Mii Costume after ballot, I assume to give fans a way to sorta play as Geno with what he could do within a certain timeframe (a unique fighter would take a year, and since Ultimate's project plan was finished in December 2015 and he tried to get Cloud first to best represent SE, well...you know)

-While the Vifam figure's rifle could be used for an item or another character, its round barrel could also be used as a reference for help designing Geno's arm-cannon

Shantae also has WayForward's silence after their pushing for the ballot, and Isaac has his own longtime fan-demand and that tweet from Sakurai though tbh it could just be a reference.
Yes I think those are the bigger points, at least for geno :)

I want to re-mention that while the rifle may have no bearing on smash, since he just said it was for a project, in that same interview he mentioned that he used whatever information from manuals and strategy guides that he could for inspiration on designs. And it just so happens that there's no good arm cannon design in the manuals and guides for mario rpg.
It was right before the discussion on the gundam rifle. So it did have a kind of impact on me in terms of coincidences, in regards to geno :)

I do think Geno has the most momentum going. And I think Bandana Dee has very big chances too, since he's 1st party and was highly requested especially in japan.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Did anyone here get decently good at mii gunner solely because of that darned costume? I sure did

Dan

Smash Lord
i always thought they should've just went with using wario instead of booster
I was thinking if there was an SMRPG remake it wouldn't be the end of the world if they replaced Booster & the Snifits with Wario & Shy Guys, but at this point Booster is just too legendary in his own right that I couldn't wish Wario over him, past or present.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone here get decently good at mii gunner solely because of that darned costume? I sure did
Geno is the only reason I played Mii gunner. I dislike the mii's in general. their aesthetic is ugly and they feel like knock off versions of other characters. but I do get the appeal of using them to add the character you wanted that didn't get in. I mean that's what I did in 4. although even still I didn't really play gunner that much. what with the tournament rules sticking them with their worst moveset and not even being able to play them online. it just kinda felt like wasting time on a bad character.

if Geno doesn't get in I'll be making the Geno Mii again. but if he is in I'll never touch the Mii's ever again.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I never even bought any of the DLC mii costumes, so I still had no reason to play with any of the Mii characters.

Only Geno I want is the real Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom