• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Might as well share my thoughts on why the whole Vergeben vs GameXplain thing yesterday looks incredibly bad:

-Jon's comments further confirm that Star Fox Grand Prix was never real. Whether it was false info or honest to God leakbait, it's still really, really bad.

-Jon's comments illustrate that either Vergeben took Jon's comments at face value and did no real research, came to the conclusion of Star Fox Grand Prix through an unreliable source, or, most damning, got the info through bad faith (stealing or declaring rumors absolutely true with no backing).

-Verge hardcore backing up his statements after multiple outlets called him out on it shows that he probably didn't clarify his statements with his source to begin with and didn't care to.

-Verge dumping that massive list of names is the definition of a runaround. Like Source Gaming said, if you can eliminate that many names, you either know and are just trolling people or you don't and you're spinning your wheels for attention.

-Verge dumping that massive list of names all at once is a collosal risk for any source. This paints a picture of a source that is willing to either share anything and everything (thus no filter and thus no professionalism) or is willing to string their contacts along for the lulz.

-On the other side of things, Verge dumping that massive list of names shows that they don't care about the safety of the source and are willing to share any and all details, no matter the potential risks.

-The backing up of Verge's statements also shows strong evidence in a knot in the line of communication. If he's actually that close to the source and takes his words that seriously, how come he messed them up so catastrophically?

-Verge hardcore backing up after being called out shows that he only revised his statements because he was called out. It this information wasn't a private matter/agreement, it's a case of extremely bad faith. Once again, didn't care if it made the source look dubious as long as the info got out there, approved or not, clarified or not.

-Verge's massive dump of names very heavily implies that he regularly pestered the source and hard. Sources have lives. For example, sometimes we wouldn't hear from the Nintendo Ambassador source for days or weeks because they have a job, social life, stress, etc. In order for it to be a good, healthy relationship, there has to be that mutual respect and understanding.

You're a confidant, not an interrogator. I can unironically call the NoA source a friend and, back during the starling episode, I told him if he just wanted to drop out of the whole insider thing because of my slip up and just talk to us like regular people, that was cool. Without the Nintendo stuff, he's an incredible guy. He's not a vending machine, he's a friend that just happens to know cool stuff.I don't get that vibe from Verge and his source. I get the gist of a relationship like an ATM machine and Verge is smashing the buttons, demanding more info than actually deserved.

So, all in all, in my opinion based on what I've experienced in the past year when it comes to insider speculation, it paints a picture of being deeply unethical on a ton of fronts. As illustrated, this wasn't a oopsieabooboo and highlights a ton of problems. Whether the information is correct or not is irrelevant; it highlights relationships that are very questionable and methods of research and fact checking even more so.

There's even the possibility of the source giving info because of blackmail because ho-ho-holy **** there's a lot of that going on from my experience, insiders getting called out for not so vague hints in forums or Twitter and then being a person's personal info machine until they're deemed no longer useful. A stark accusation and I don't know if this is the basis of the relationship or not but, like I've said in this thread in the past, I've seen it before:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-571#post-22858459

In the end, I'd advise you all to be very wary of what Verge says from this point. Cancel him? Nah, no need for that degree of vengeance based on what we know. If he wants to be a part of the community as a regular Joe then that's fine but I think we've gotten to a point that Verge staying as a leaker is honestly unhealthy for not only the community but probably him too.

D

Deleted member

I am glad to see Gamexplain positive about Geno and Metroid at the Game Awards.

Between that and them putting Pauline at number one of their most wanted female characters, I’m starting to believe someone at the Gamexplain staff may secretly be a friend of mine.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Currently at work but a buttload of people have been asking about the Geno essay so I'll just say that I've been going about it at a snail's pace. Bad form on my part so, since my wife will be studying for her finals today, I'll hunker down and try to knock out the essay sometime tonight. People have been waiting so I'll treat it like my term papers in Grad School: coffee until I'm nauceous and fueled by existential dread. If I can't finish the whole thing today, I'll upload parts but my hard deadline for myself will be tomorrow night for everything. Sorry for the wait.
OH BOY OH BOY!
IAmReady4.png

Guys, I need your help. I'm wanting to change my username to better reflect my true character and provide a sufficient summary for just how evil I really am. After being exposed and cancelled by Master Detectives™, I need additional help from all of you who I've chronically lied to for years because I'm just that cunning and manipulative. So, which of these four would be best?

-Bad Man Not Nice

-Fraud Man, Full O'Vice

-Fat Man on Thin Ice

- Fraud, Sin, and Vice

Also, I found my theme song so, whenever I come into the thread, just think of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QxJrjV4PNXA
Fat Man on Thin Ice is really good.
It so OBVIOUS! I would have never thought of that!

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Hearing Jon & Derrick still think Rex & Pyra are safe bets for the Fifth Fighter and Geno still has a shot for this Fighters Pass
giphy (8).gif

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Insider folk blackmailing their sources wouldn't surprise me to say the least. I can't explain why due to personal reasoning, but it would REALLY not surprise me at all.

Just putting that out there.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Insider folk blackmailing their sources wouldn't surprise me to say the least. I can't explain why due to personal reasoning, but it would REALLY not surprise me at all.

Just putting that out there.
Gotta get that E-Cred at any cost, I guess. Including dignity.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Gotta get that E-Cred at any cost, I guess. Including dignity.
E-Cred is such a goddamn stupid thing anyway

What does popularity from a bunch of strangers who don't know you beyond 'the information dispenser' do for someone

It just puts their actions and thoughts under a microscope for speculation, even if it means their own mental health and that of their sources will suffer. Does it matter? Not necessarily, not for the ones who just thrive off of that clout juice.

It's like shooting yourself in the foot, and I don't see why ANYONE would want that. I'd NEVER EVER want that. **** sounds HORRIBLE. I'm just a simple beet farmer tending to my memes, leave me be :drshrug:

D

Deleted member

Actually I gotta back Wynn on this one; I feel like the ship sailed for Pyra and Mythra. If they'd be in the fighter's pass, Rex wouldn't have gotten Mii Costume'd. Post-Pass is a possibility but
Yeah, maybe they could get a chance for Post-pass.

I’m just glad to see big people such as Gamexplain sharing similar interest as I after months dealing with full Discord servers denigrating me by claiming I was a lonely and sad cause.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
TGA 2019 official hype trailer by none other than Geoff Keighley himself.

D

Deleted member

Hearing Jon & Derrick still think Rex & Pyra are safe bets for the Fifth Fighter and Geno still has a shot for this Fighters Pass
View attachment 251238
They're absolutely wrong but it's nice to hear a big gaming outlet at least talk about both of them since talk for Rex & Pyra mostly died out, sadly.

As for Geno talks for him pretty much died out for #5 only so it's not as bad as Rex & Pyra but more big-names talking about Geno is always a good thing.

D

Deleted member

It's still pretty nice to see a big gaming outlet like GameXplain show some support for both of them, though.
They're absolutely wrong but it's nice to hear a big gaming outlet at least talk about both of them since talk for Rex & Pyra mostly died out, sadly.

As for Geno talks for him pretty much died out for #5 only so it's not as bad as Rex & Pyra but more big-names talking about Geno is always a good thing.
Exactly!

Gamexplain mostly does it to speculate and consider some scenarios they would quite enjoy!

I think the problem is that some people are trying to look some kind of hidden meaning behind everything they post, when that shouldn’t be the purpose.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Exactly!

Gamexplain mostly does it to speculate and consider some scenarios they would quite enjoy!

I think the problem is that some people are trying to look some kind of hidden meaning behind everything they post, when that shouldn’t be the purpose.
One of the tragedies of leak culture is that people expect speculation to contain leaks or hidden meanings.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question I've thought of just now. Do you think Nintendo would actually announce a Smash direct or something similar tomorrow or Tuesday and have it air hours before the VGAs?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Here's a question I've thought of just now. Do you think Nintendo would actually announce a Smash direct or something similar tomorrow or Tuesday and have it air hours before the VGAs?
I think it’s possible. I don’t think it’d be on Thursday though, probably on Wednesday.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I mean it's a possibility, but I think they're just going to bring their A-Game to the GA's and reach as wide an audience as possible; especially since Smash Ultimate is up for GOTY

Actually something in GX's video struck a chord with me: People might scoff at the idea of Smash being nominated for GOTY, but as they said in the video it's the one game on the list that has stayed relevant and hyped for the entire year

OffBi

Smash Ace
I am thinking of doing the parody of the first superman cover, but with banjo and the steveposters.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Anybody notice how there was a Game Awards leak that said Kos-Mos would be #5 and we'd be getting 4 fighters announced to come after her and GameXplain also says they think Kos-Mos could be #5? Coincidence? Probably.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am thinking of doing the parody of the first superman cover, but with banjo and the steveposters.
My idea would be making a parody of this cover with Erdrick as Superman, Banjo as Batman, the bat as Kazooie and Robin representing people who disliked Google Theory:

3A47BCF7-61F2-40D0-9CFF-5332B4F372B3.jpeg

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
It's still pretty nice to see a big gaming outlet like GameXplain show some support for both of them, though.
It's not like that support is going to make any real difference. The decision is already done for the Fifth Fighter and for the next wave of DLC. Thinking their safe bets is fooling themselves.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
It's not like that support is going to make any real difference. The decision is already done for the Fifth Fighter and for the next wave of DLC. Thinking their safe bets is fooling themselves.
Dude, his lack of bringing up #5 anywhere in his comments obivously means he is 115% convinced that the fifth fighter is beyond the shadow of a doubt Geno combined with Pyra and Mythra.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yeah, no ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom