• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like Geno is an E3 caliber reveal. If Ridley and Banjo were E3 because of what they meant to the Smash fanbase, I feel like Geno can do that too. "But Fatman, what about K. Rool?" K. Rool was base and I can see why they went with Ridley for E3. Ridley was the bigger never ever. In every Smash game but never playable and one of the few characters Sakurai outright shot down himself. K. Rool just barely missed out.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I get a bad feeling that Square is going to be a cheap ass again when it comes to music but, on the upside, Yoko.Shimomura did all the music for the Mario and Luigi games so if Square does the 2 song bull**** again, we at least have 5 other games to pick music from.

Bob-Omber

Smash Cadet
In the corner drinking a frosty with a straw
I get a bad feeling that Square is going to be a cheap ass again when it comes to music but, on the upside, Yoko.Shimomura did all the music for the Mario and Luigi games so if Square does the 2 song bull**** again, we at least have 5 other games to pick music from.
I demand popples theme and the minigame song from bowsers inside story

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice I enjoy your 100 fighter theory and it does add up. I can see Sakurai "ending" Smash with 100 TOTAL different fighters (Echoes, Alts, etc.) which would be so fitting.

However, the only issue I see with ending on the Chief is isn't Nintendo's policy to end Smash things on a down note? I am not a Halo fan or anything, but recognize how big it is. Wouldn't Bugsby be a better fit for that role? :ultpacman:

Also, cuz of Banjo, I can totally see Geno as a E3 reveal. That would be glorious. Just, glorious.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I certainly wouldn't mind if, instead of being treated as strictly a Super Mario RPG character, Geno is instead also treated as a rep for all Mario RPG games, coming with Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi music and spirits.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I hope Sakurai gives us a troll character saying that #11 is Tabuu and it's literally just the boss but controllable and that he plays the gag for just long enough for some dolts to believe it before showing the true #11. That would be amazing.

Hey guys, so I pretty much don't like being here anymore. I was talking with my buddy who doesn't even like Smash that much and hates the fanbase for being so self-absorbed into their own game that they pretty much forget there is a whole world of other games out there and I ranted for about 30 mins about how the people in this thread irritate me with how the majority of y'all have no conviction and something so little as a janitor at Nintendo saying he doesn't know who Geno is ends up being enough to have you guys flip-flop like a fish in a cartoon intro on your stance. Literally, the SMALLEST thing can happen, and suddenly this thread goes from 'Dude, Geno is basically a lock!' to 'Oh god woe is us! Geno isn't going to make it I knew that [insert information supporting Geno] was too good to be true!' ON A MOTHER****ING DIME.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but Heyzeus Christo I've been through over a year of seeing this **** and I'm sick of it. It's one thing to be open-minded and changing your stance when new information comes in and another when you throw your hopes and dreams out the window each time something remotely small that MIGHT be bad for Geno comes up. NEWS FLASH: Doomguy possibly being disconfirmed for Ultimate doesn't mean **** for either Geno or the CacoMallow 'leak'. Reason being? The ONLY reason that anyone thought Doomguy has ANY chance was a throwaway 'Yeah, we talked to the Smash team' comment and that Doom is the granddaddy of FPS. There was no ****ing evidence the entire time that Doomguy had a chance and, much like the Grinch Ruse, it was the hype of the fans going TOO FAR that carried this notion that Doomguy was a lock. Well, sorry guys, but that Cacodemon costume can still be real without Doomguy in the game and it's been like that since the beginning. Just like with Byleth, you have no one to blame but yourselves. Once again, to clarify, CacoMallow is still completely on the table because Cacodemon could show up with a different Bethesda rep or just in a grab bag like we saw with Ubisoft.

On the note of Byleth though, this fanbase really depresses me sometimes. This fanbase has suddenly acted like yet another Fire Emblem rep is such a bad thing that Ultimate is ruined as a game and it's honestly pathetic. I love that ZeRo uploaded a video today taking the piss out of those people who reacted so poorly and then ended the video with 'It's okay to be upset about things but just don't be a prick about it' which is the moral of this story honestly. Everyone has majorly overreacted to Byleth and it makes me regret being part of the fandom knowing that people are so ****ing invested in what fictional character get in a fictional crossover universe that they lash out in tantrums like my 2-yr-old niece when she can't have a cookie whenever she pleases. Disgusting.

Oh, on the note of overreacting, @Foz if you haven't seen it already you may want to watch PapaGenos new video. Basically, WE ALL GOT PLAYED! I find this absolutely hilarious. And speaking of videos, since I got a warning for trolling because you can't screw around anymore on Trashboards, here is what I was originally going to share.

Someone already shared about ZeRo thinking Geno is going to be a playable character, but RogersBase starts off his Fighter's Pass 2: Electric Boogaloo speculation with Geno. First character he names is Geno, and he says he thinks he's a lock. Bam, there you go. Can't have fun around here anymore.

Two last things before disappear until the next Direct:
  1. I have seen people here suggesting that the DLC characters have been worked on for an entire year simple due to something Sakurai in an interview when talking about making the base game. Fun fact: Just because a developer said something once doesn't mean it applies to everything moving forward. It's highly unlikely that any of the DLC characters have been in the works for an entire year even if you include negotiations and concepts. This would imply that Sakurai has lied to our faces about how he believes DLC practices should work. On top of this, you cannot agree both my timeline theory and the idea that all the FP characters had a year's worth of development time. My timeline is based off the idea that Joker started development as early as the game went gold, which was in November/late October. This means that Joker has from November 2018 to April 2019 which is roughly six months not being exact on days. If you REALLY think LDC character require an entire year to develop then not only are you kinda delusional because the facts suggest otherwise but also I hope you don't expect #6 until a September Direct.
  2. If anyone gives you **** about Geno and says his biggest chance is him being a 'Premium Mii Costume' (which by the way, is a fan term and not official), lay some facts on them real quick.
    1. Thus far, all the 'Premium Mii Costumes' have been for indie characters, so it's likely that they will continue to be for indie characters down the line. Of course in Smash, patterns are meant to be broken, but so far it has been the perfect way to put indie characters in Smash without having to choose a single one to be playable and send the indie community in an uproar since "One does not simply select a single Indie Character to represent the entire Indie Genre." Geno is not an indie character, so this doesn't apply to him.
    2. Geno already has a costume that they could just port over and leave it at that to just make money without using any more assets. They've already done this with a bunch of costumes already, so if Geno came back as a costume, why the hell would they waste time, effort and assest to remake his costume and and in a music track when they can literally just copypasta?
    3. Updating the costume and getting a music track would require them to re-negotiation with Square for JUST a new costume and a single music track and Square would still only get $.75 per purchase when they could just toss in the old costume and make the same amount. This seems like a waste of time and something Square wouldn't be on board with. If they were to re-negotiate with Square about Geno, would be about making him playable, since then Square would be making more money at $5.99 a pop which sounds a lot more like it would be up Square's alley.
    4. Geno already has a costume that could be simply ported over, yet they have yet to do so even this late into the game. Wouldn't it have made more sense for Sakurai, who has acknowledge the Geno fanbase previously, to release the costume earlier when they had the perfectly opportunity with Hero (despite what people say about 'celebrating DQ') or in any other grab-bag moment like Banjo-Kazooie or Byleth? Sakurai has even wanted Geno in as a character earlier, so it makes no sense to hold out on just a costume, even if it was somehow an upgraded one with a music track, for all this time.
Last minute addition, as I see people talking about Square being cheap with music. I believe Yoko has the rights to all the music she made for SMRPG, but I'm not sure. However, if that is the case then we could easily get a bunch of SMRPG music in Smash. People are talking about Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi but since I have no attachment to those games currently I have to say I'm not about that life and I strictly want SMRPG content. Much like when Banjo & Kazooie got some music from Banjo-Tooie and I never got big into that game so that disappointed me that we didn't get more Banjo-Kazooie music, getting other Mario RPG music would disappoint me as well...but even more so because with the bear and bird at least it's the same game series but with SMRPG it would include stuff from completely separate Mario RPGs.

There is plenty enough excellent music and Spirits material from SMRPG alone, so please no.

Although we did get vs Mr. Patch, so I guess it might not be all bad.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I hope Sakurai gives us a troll character saying that #11 is Tabuu and it's literally just the boss but controllable and that he plays the gag for just long enough for some dolts to believe it before showing the true #11. That would be amazing.

Hey guys, so I pretty much don't like being here anymore. I was talking with my buddy who doesn't even like Smash that much and hates the fanbase for being so self-absorbed into their own game that they pretty much forget there is a whole world of other games out there and I ranted for about 30 mins about how the people in this thread irritate me with how the majority of y'all have no conviction and something so little as a janitor at Nintendo saying he doesn't know who Geno is ends up being enough to have you guys flip-flop like a fish in a cartoon intro on your stance. Literally, the SMALLEST thing can happen, and suddenly this thread goes from 'Dude, Geno is basically a lock!' to 'Oh god woe is us! Geno isn't going to make it I knew that [insert information supporting Geno] was too good to be true!' ON A MOTHER****ING DIME.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but Heyzeus Christo I've been through over a year of seeing this **** and I'm sick of it. It's one thing to be open-minded and changing your stance when new information comes in and another when you throw your hopes and dreams out the window each time something remotely small that MIGHT be bad for Geno comes up. NEWS FLASH: Doomguy possibly being disconfirmed for Ultimate doesn't mean **** for either Geno or the CacoMallow 'leak'. Reason being? The ONLY reason that anyone thought Doomguy has ANY chance was a throwaway 'Yeah, we talked to the Smash team' comment and that Doom is the granddaddy of FPS. There was no ****ing evidence the entire time that Doomguy had a chance and, much like the Grinch Ruse, it was the hype of the fans going TOO FAR that carried this notion that Doomguy was a lock. Well, sorry guys, but that Cacodemon costume can still be real without Doomguy in the game and it's been like that since the beginning. Just like with Byleth, you have no one to blame but yourselves. Once again, to clarify, CacoMallow is still completely on the table because Cacodemon could show up with a different Bethesda rep or just in a grab bag like we saw with Ubisoft.

On the note of Byleth though, this fanbase really depresses me sometimes. This fanbase has suddenly acted like yet another Fire Emblem rep is such a bad thing that Ultimate is ruined as a game and it's honestly pathetic. I love that ZeRo uploaded a video today taking the piss out of those people who reacted so poorly and then ended the video with 'It's okay to be upset about things but just don't be a prick about it' which is the moral of this story honestly. Everyone has majorly overreacted to Byleth and it makes me regret being part of the fandom knowing that people are so ****ing invested in what fictional character get in a fictional crossover universe that they lash out in tantrums like my 2-yr-old niece when she can't have a cookie whenever she pleases. Disgusting.

Oh, on the note of overreacting, @Foz if you haven't seen it already you may want to watch PapaGenos new video. Basically, WE ALL GOT PLAYED! I find this absolutely hilarious. And speaking of videos, since I got a warning for trolling because you can't screw around anymore on Trashboards, here is what I was originally going to share.

Someone already shared about ZeRo thinking Geno is going to be a playable character, but RogersBase starts off his Fighter's Pass 2: Electric Boogaloo speculation with Geno. First character he names is Geno, and he says he thinks he's a lock. Bam, there you go. Can't have fun around here anymore.

1. I have seen people here suggesting that the DLC characters have been worked on for an entire year simple due to something Sakurai in an interview when talking about making the base game. Fun fact: Just because a developer said something once doesn't mean it applies to everything moving forward. It's highly unlikely that any of the DLC characters have been in the works for an entire year even if you include negotiations and concepts. This would imply that Sakurai has lied to our faces about how he believes DLC practices should work. On top of this, you cannot agree both my timeline theory and the idea that all the FP characters had a year's worth of development time. My timeline is based off the idea that Joker started development as early as the game went gold, which was in November/late October. This means that Joker has from November 2018 to April 2019 which is roughly six months not being exact on days. If you REALLY think LDC character require an entire year to develop then not only are you kinda delusional because the facts suggest otherwise but also I hope you don't expect #6 until a September Direct.
  2. If anyone gives you **** about Geno and says his biggest chance is him being a 'Premium Mii Costume' (which by the way, is a fan term and not official), lay some facts on them real quick.
    1. Thus far, all the 'Premium Mii Costumes' have been for indie characters, so it's likely that they will continue to be for indie characters down the line. Of course in Smash, patterns are meant to be broken, but so far it has been the perfect way to put indie characters in Smash without having to choose a single one to be playable and send the indie community in an uproar since "One does not simply select a single Indie Character to represent the entire Indie Genre." Geno is not an indie character, so this doesn't apply to him.
    2. Geno already has a costume that they could just port over and leave it at that to just make money without using any more assets. They've already done this with a bunch of costumes already, so if Geno came back as a costume, why the hell would they waste time, effort and assest to remake his costume and and in a music track when they can literally just copypasta?
    3. Updating the costume and getting a music track would require them to re-negotiation with Square for JUST a new costume and a single music track and Square would still only get $.75 per purchase when they could just toss in the old costume and make the same amount. This seems like a waste of time and something Square wouldn't be on board with. If they were to re-negotiate with Square about Geno, would be about making him playable, since then Square would be making more money at $5.99 a pop which sounds a lot more like it would be up Square's alley.
    4. Geno already has a costume that could be simply ported over, yet they have yet to do so even this late into the game. Wouldn't it have made more sense for Sakurai, who has acknowledge the Geno fanbase previously, to release the costume earlier when they had the perfectly opportunity with Hero (despite what people say about 'celebrating DQ') or in any other grab-bag moment like Banjo-Kazooie or Byleth? Sakurai has even wanted Geno in as a character earlier, so it makes no sense to hold out on just a costume, even if it was somehow an upgraded one with a music track, for all this time.
Last minute addition, as I see people talking about Square being cheap with music. I believe Yoko has the rights to all the music she made for SMRPG, but I'm not sure. However, if that is the case then we could easily get a bunch of SMRPG music in Smash. People are talking about Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi but since I have no attachment to those games currently I have to say I'm not about that life and I strictly want SMRPG content. Much like when Banjo & Kazooie got some music from Banjo-Tooie and I never got big into that game so that disappointed me that we didn't get more Banjo-Kazooie music, getting other Mario RPG music would disappoint me as well...but even more so because with the bear and bird at least it's the same game series but with SMRPG it would include stuff from completely separate Mario RPGs.

There is plenty enough excellent music and Spirits material from SMRPG alone, so please no.

Hope you're doing alright. Yeah, the Smash fanbase is... Itself and there's been several points in my life that I took loooooong vacations from it because its... Itself. Pretty sure this will be my last Smash game because speculation gets worse with each cycle and I'm pretty confident that the grand prize of my "Smash career" is in reach so my incentive to come back will practically bottom out in the event Geno gets in. I like a vast majority of you but I've been doing this almost 15 years and I'm kind of ready to be done. Smash speculation makes me feel old and it's weirdly stressful a lot now so I understand why more and more people are yeeting themselves out of it for the sake of their well being.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Long time no see Geno fans. I see some familiar faces.
Haven't been around for all the speculation, just came back because of Byleth :p I think I made the right decision to take a break from it all, with how things have been.

I think that there's one piece of advice that fits in a lot of cases, and that's to live the example of what you want to see in the world smash speculation. Sometimes people take it a bit too far, and the best to do is show a side you think is good for ways to go. Some people get stuck in drama and putting salt everywhere, or whatever else, and sometimes it's good to vent a little, but it's worth trying to make a good environment, not just for veterans but also others and those that might be new or interested in the game or fanbase.

Anyway, as for Geno, personally, I don't see him being E3, BUT, I think it would be a big deal and kinda like Banjo I think Sakurai could want to make a few releases to please the fans. It's a new era now, and we know nothing about the characters coming up from here on out. I think that's good cause enough be open to anyone, including Geno :)

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Hope you're doing alright. Yeah, the Smash fanbase is... Itself and there's been several points in my life that I took loooooong vacations from it because its... Itself. Pretty sure this will be my last Smash game because speculation gets worse with each cycle and I'm pretty confident that the grand prize of my "Smash career" is in reach so my incentive to come back will practically bottom out in the event Geno gets in. I like a vast majority of you but I've been doing this almost 15 years and I'm kind of ready to be done. Smash speculation makes me feel old and it's weirdly stressful a lot now so I understand why more and more people are yeeting themselves out of it for the sake of their well being.
Well, if it's any consolation, I'm firmly of the belief that this pretty much will be the last conventional Smash game we'll ever see. By conventional, I mean directed by Sakurai and maintaining this much emphasis on the characters. I can totally see Ultimate being DLCed and ported for years to come. That's not to say that Nintendo won't inevitably try to make more, but I feel that we're going to see some seriously diminishing returns with each subsequent release. Characters will get cut, the scale will change dramatically and there really aren't that many more tweaks or improvements that can be made to the engine itself. As I've grown older, I've watched so many legendary franchises shift from their infancy into maturity, obscurity into mainstream, each reaching a pinnacle of amazingness until finally rotting into mediocrity and stagnation. It's a typical life-cycle that happens when a company/franchise gets so big that they no longer need to care in order to make money. I've seen it happen to franchises like Pokemon, Yugioh, Star Wars, etc. Even Marvel, as absolutely legendary as their first three phases were, seem to be on the cusp of "Super hero movie" fatigue. I fear Smash isn't far from going over the hill in the same way. It will hit a wall at some point, be it character limits, mechanic polishing, mode redundancy or just overly toxic fandom. That's why I feel it's so important to get Geno in now. The future of the franchise offers no guarantees. Let's just cross this finish line and relish the victory while Smash is at it's highest point. It's time to usher in the golden age once and for all.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I still think Ultimate will be Sakurai's Swan Song with all it's content and all. This is pretty much our last chance to be honest.

The issue I see for "ports" of Ultimate to the inevitable next Nintendo Console (Not refreshes or Pro's, but Wii U to Switch console change) would be the'd HAVE to renegotiate for the any third party stuff ... so I don't see simply porting this game to the next console. It'll have to be a new Smash game which does not guarantee the same content or amount of stuff.

So we can only hope Sakurai was being truthful about his views on Geno ... I just really hope.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I still think Ultimate will be Sakurai's Swan Song with all it's content and all. This is pretty much our last chance to be honest.

The issue I see for "ports" of Ultimate to the inevitable next Nintendo Console (Not refreshes or Pro's, but Wii U to Switch console change) would be the'd HAVE to renegotiate for the any third party stuff ... so I don't see simply porting this game to the next console. It'll have to be a new Smash game which does not guarantee the same content or amount of stuff.

So we can only hope Sakurai was being truthful about his views on Geno ... I just really hope.
Well to be fair, with how popular ultimate is now; It would be a pretty bad business move NOT to give the rights back for a port. I dunno how much money third parties exactly gain, but it's almost certainly worth handing over the rights, right?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
They could probably port it at least once though, right?
I mean they could do it if they wanted and I'm certainly not going to stop them but with how many different companies and third party franchises are in the game, not just in the roster but everything else, I imagine it would be really hard to get the rights for everything again. And heaven forbid if one of these companies isn't willing to play ball, it's over. The entire point for Ultimate existing - "Everyone is Here!" - is lost. What's the point? May as well just make a new game from scratch.

As for what I think a probable Smash 6 is going to be... at the risk of sounding like a cop-out I'm just gonna ride the Ultimate train while it lasts. Sakurai himself said the next game is coming in around 10 years so it's going to be awhile. May as well enjoy all the good stuff we have while we still have it.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Someone: Leaks Cacodemon and Mallow Mii Costumes back in November
People: Well, since it's January now, that leak must be fake because why would anyone be able to leak something that far ahead?

Mandy: Leaks Crash as FP6 back in October
People: Welp, I'm convinced. Clearly they know absolutely everything there is to know and their word should be treated as gospel
I have yet to meet anyone on this board who have these viewpoints

Almost everyone here, do not believe Mandy

Even the dreaded "journalist" that starts with the letter S that I won't say his or her name because y'all really don't like him or her do not believe in them

The only person who might have said this, is Blocked Content (but I wouldn't know, as I haven't (and won't) watch his video on the subject matter)

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
Well, if it's any consolation, I'm firmly of the belief that this pretty much will be the last conventional Smash game we'll ever see. By conventional, I mean directed by Sakurai and maintaining this much emphasis on the characters. I can totally see Ultimate being DLCed and ported for years to come. That's not to say that Nintendo won't inevitably try to make more, but I feel that we're going to see some seriously diminishing returns with each subsequent release. Characters will get cut, the scale will change dramatically and there really aren't that many more tweaks or improvements that can be made to the engine itself. As I've grown older, I've watched so many legendary franchises shift from their infancy into maturity, obscurity into mainstream, each reaching a pinnacle of amazingness until finally rotting into mediocrity and stagnation. It's a typical life-cycle that happens when a company/franchise gets so big that they no longer need to care in order to make money. I've seen it happen to franchises like Pokemon, Yugioh, Star Wars, etc. Even Marvel, as absolutely legendary as their first three phases were, seem to be on the cusp of "Super hero movie" fatigue. I fear Smash isn't far from going over the hill in the same way. It will hit a wall at some point, be it character limits, mechanic polishing, mode redundancy or just overly toxic fandom. That's why I feel it's so important to get Geno in now. The future of the franchise offers no guarantees. Let's just cross this finish line and relish the victory while Smash is at it's highest point. It's time to usher in the golden age once and for all.
I’d like if they ported and enhanced ultimate. For example, the next version of ultimate could emphasis a better story mode with cutscenes and levels to fight enemies like in brawl. Of course we’d get some new characters. There’s no point in starting from scratch. Smash needs to be a base that they build upon from this point moving forward.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I have yet to meet anyone on this board who have these viewpoints

Almost everyone here, do not believe Mandy

Even the dreaded "journalist" that starts with the letter S that I won't say his or her name because y'all really don't like him or her do not believe in them

The only person who might have said this, is Blocked Content (but I wouldn't know, as I haven't (and won't) watch his video on the subject matter)
I mean, maybe I just haven't been paying very much attention but from what I've seen a lot of people are really going all in on trusting Mandy here and elsewhere. At the very least, my point is that it's hypocritical to trust what Mandy has to say but then discount CacoMallow because it happened too long ago.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind if they just kept adding to Ultimate instead of making a new game.
That¨s what they are gonna do if they are smart. Not even close to the majority of the consumer will buy something that is lacking let say, 2/3 of what Ultimate contains

Firox

Smash Master
I’d like if they ported and enhanced ultimate. For example, the next version of ultimate could emphasis a better story mode with cutscenes and levels to fight enemies like in brawl. Of course we’d get some new characters. There’s no point in starting from scratch. Smash needs to be a base that they build upon from this point moving forward.
Oh heck yeah! I'd love to see a port of Ultimate with a straight-up Subspace Emissary-grade story mode. Imagine having all 80+ characters/worlds colliding together into the most epic video game story ever told. Freak, they could make a stand-alone game of that and I'd buy it. Almost makes me wonder whether they could break Smash bros off into it's out extended series. They could have Ultimate itself as the base fighting game, then have a game dedicated to a pseudo-RPG story mode-like game with a MASSIVE world to explore Metroidvania style. They could even have the next Mario Kart actually BE Smash Kart with an 80+ character roster from Cloud to Krool. Pipe dreams, I know, but holy hell would they make mountains of cash.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Oh heck yeah! I'd love to see a port of Ultimate with a straight-up Subspace Emissary-grade story mode. Imagine having all 80+ characters/worlds colliding together into the most epic video game story ever told. Freak, they could make a stand-alone game of that and I'd buy it. Almost makes me wonder whether they could break Smash bros off into it's out extended series. They could have Ultimate itself as the base fighting game, then have a game dedicated to a pseudo-RPG story mode-like game with a MASSIVE world to explore Metroidvania style. They could even have the next Mario Kart actually BE Smash Kart with an 80+ character roster from Cloud to Krool. Pipe dreams, I know, but holy hell would they make mountains of cash.
A Smash RPG thing would be interesting actually. A sort of spinoff series thing.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Doesn't Yoko own the Super Mario RPG tracks she composed and not Square though? Could've sworn the music thing wasn't limited to just Sugiyama and Uematsu. I mean, she had that Memoria soundtrack that featured Forest Maze and Goodbye Geno in it

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Doesn't Yoko own the Super Mario RPG tracks she composed and not Square though? Could've sworn the music thing wasn't limited to just Sugiyama and Uematsu. I mean, she had that Memoria soundtrack that featured Forest Maze and Goodbye Geno in it
The thing about Memoria is it is a Square-Enix Product. I remember me and others, probably a year or so ago, went over whether Yoko owns her music or not. It was...inconclusive at best.

I personally think Square owns it, but I could be wrong.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
The Koopalings are technically separate characters though. Robin is still, well, Robin no matter which sex they are. That's the difference. Wendy isn't "Girl Bowser Jr", she's Wendy, a totally separate character in the Mario canon. Alph and Olimar are two different characters despite one being an ALT in Smash. Hero's ALTs are literally the protagonists of different mainline Dragon Quest games. This is also why Lucina isn't "female Marth", she's Lucina. Dark Pit isn't just a palette swap, he's someone different. Corrin is still Corrin, Wii Fit is still Wii Fit, etc.
The Fire Emblem gender alts are effectively different characters. How they react to things, how they talk, etc. And even assuming they're not, why do color-swaps representing other characters not count? Byleth has all three house leaders and Sothis while Hero has 4 characters that Sakurai wanted to be full alts, but ran out of time.

For this theory to work, a lot of things have to line up perfectly while simultaneously considering how Sakurai looks at each character and their alts. Like, even if you wanted to disregard the color alt aspect of this and say "but the name changes to Alph/specific Koopalings on the select screen", that still doesn't explain Hero which all have canon names.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure this is what people said about the last Smash game, honestly. Also, Mario and Zelda are franchises that have gone on for longer than Pokémon, and not that many people would say that they're mediocre or stagnant. It's all about changing up things for the next game, really.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Realistically speaking there is no way Nintendo can keep porting Ultimate with the licensing nightmare they've created for themselves.
I agree, but they may not need to go that route any ways.

In the past I said that I doubt we'd receive a third season pass. The reason for this is because by that time the Switch will be in the process of being phased out for the next system since the interval between nintendo consoles are about every 5 years.
However, if these rumors are true about a "Switch Pro", they may consider extending the development cycle of this game if its truly backwards compatible. There would be no need for a "port" at this point.

So hopefully Geno is in this 2nd season, and if not maybe theres still a chance a third pass would come.

Bob-Omber

Smash Cadet
In the corner drinking a frosty with a straw
The Fire Emblem gender alts are effectively different characters. How they react to things, how they talk, etc. And even assuming they're not, why do color-swaps representing other characters not count? Byleth has all three house leaders and Sothis while Hero has 4 characters that Sakurai wanted to be full alts, but ran out of time.

For this theory to work, a lot of things have to line up perfectly while simultaneously considering how Sakurai looks at each character and their alts. Like, even if you wanted to disregard the color alt aspect of this and say "but the name changes to Alph/specific Koopalings on the select screen", that still doesn't explain Hero which all have canon names.
The Heroes arent named the same because they are the same, its because theyre all heroes

Nopote

Smash Apprentice

It would help if people stopped acting as if getting into one Smash game is some do or die situation and another chance will never ever happen again ever. I see people even in the thread do it to an annoying degree, and it's probably half the reason speculation has gotten so bitter over the years.

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
I don't know about you guys
But i have a good feeling that we'll get a direct on 28th.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

The color swaps don't count because they're not actually the character. The Dark Metaknight palette is not actually Dark Metaknight. Lucina's Lissa palette is not actually Lissa. A vast majority of the gender swap characters are avatar characters to begin with. They're supposed to be self inserts for the player so it's not particularly consequential. They're gender swaps of the same character.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
The color swaps don't count because they're not actually the character. The Dark Metaknight palette is not actually Dark Metaknight. Lucina's Lissa palette is not actually Lissa. A vast majority of the gender swap characters are avatar characters to begin with. They're supposed to be self inserts for the player so it's not particularly consequential. They're gender swaps of the same character.
The Heroes are self-inserts too though. Male and Female Byleth have less similarities than Eight and Eleven.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I feel like the point is being missed. Male and female Byleth are the same people. You get to choose if they are male or female. The same with Robin. Same with Pokémon trainer. They both don’t exist at the same time. Personality similarities or differences with Byleth doesn’t matter ... since it’s a player choice on what gender. Same character.

The different Heroes are different people. They come from different time lines, areas, etc. They are the same boat like Link. All different iterations are different, though they are the “same” hero.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just want to speak about the Mii Costumes currently and possibly for future costume waves. Sans and Cuphead are the current characters in Indie that became a Mii Costume. While Nintendo doesn't stick to patterns, I do think that popular indie characters for the recent years are the ones becoming Mii Costumes as of now.

(I could be wrong, but its all speculation.)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not related to Geno but bringing it up because I will partially resent castinets98 castinets98 forever if it winds up being true. 93 characters right now, right? 6 more to 99. What if 100 winds up being a super obscure Sakurai pick to finish everything off; a bonus character to put a ribbon on everything? Castinet proposed Lolo because 1. There's no spirits 2. we don't have our goofy retro pick yet and 3. he was HAL'S original mascot before Kirby. God... I could totally see Sakurai doing something like that...

Xigger

Smash Lord
Road to 100, huh? I'm not going to spend time catching up, but I only have one thing to say about numbers.

Sakurai counted to 17 in binary. With 3 fingers.

And he included game remakes, Fire Emblem Heroes, a mobile game, but excluded 2 spinoffs on Nintendo consoles.

The man follows his own rules.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Not related to Geno but bringing it up because I will partially resent castinets98 castinets98 forever if it winds up being true. 93 characters right now, right? 6 more to 99. What if 100 winds up being a super obscure Sakurai pick to finish everything off; a bonus character to put a ribbon on everything? Castinet proposed Lolo because 1. There's no spirits 2. we don't have our goofy retro pick yet and 3. he was HAL'S original mascot before Kirby. God... I could totally see Sakurai doing something like that...
Knowing Sakurai ... The "bonus" fighter will be a Fire Emblem character unless there is one already in the new Pass ...

Please let Geno be in this Pass ... come on ....

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Knowing Sakurai ... The "bonus" fighter will be a Fire Emblem character unless there is one already in the new Pass ...

Please let Geno be in this Pass ... come on ....
I have felt it in my gut ever since K. Rool was revealed funny enough. Geno HAS to be playable in ULTIMATE?! He just has to be..

Dukefire

Smash Master
Only the Spirits can't be playable fan rule is the holding back some support. Then again, fan rules doesn't really matter anymore after what Season 1 Fighters Pass displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom