• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Sinn

Smash Lord
Lots of things.
I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I think an organized show of support would be a great idea, even if it doesn't end up panning out for Smash 4. On the one hand, from a game design perspective, usually things like the character roster would be something established before most of the actual "work" on the game starts (art assets, programming, etc). On the other hand, developers throw in unplanned things last minute all the time. A case like Geno, one where a lot of back and forth with Square Enix would be required, is something that would be better started sooner rather than later.

Frankly, I think handwritten snail mail letter writing would be the most effective tactic since it shows the most effort and dedication. At the same time, I really like your idea of having the webpage with a counter and marks where all of the supporters are in the world. A YouTuber I follow did something like that for a donation drive, and it was really interesting to see that she really did have support from all around the world (albeit higher here in the US).

A couple of things: 1) Do you think it'll matter if we write to these Japanese developers in English? I know a lot of people in Japan can read and speak English, but I'm wondering if it would have more impact if we wrote to their American offices (though I don't think Sora HAS anything like that). 2) Even though I think the website/map thing is a great idea, I don't personally know how to set something like that up...do you have plans for its implementation?

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I think it's too late for Geno in Smash 4. Unless Sakurai decides to take our old support for Geno and add him- even as just an assist trophy, a trophy, or even a sticker- I would be surprised.

The most logical step to getting recognition for Geno and Super Mario RPG at this stage is a simple one: we gather support. From who? Not from Geno fans. From SMRPG fans. Our best bet, by far, is to encourage Nintendo to acknowledge the existance of Super Mario RPG again and make an HD remake of it for the 3DS or Wii U. I am positive that this is the strongest course of action we can take, and a remake is never as hard to develop as a full blown sequel. We need to rebuild the SMRPG fanbase in order to have any hopes for Smash.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
I think it's too late for Geno in Smash 4. Unless Sakurai decides to take our old support for Geno and add him- even as just an assist trophy, a trophy, or even a sticker- I would be surprised.

The most logical step to getting recognition for Geno and Super Mario RPG at this stage is a simple one: we gather support. From who? Not from Geno fans. From SMRPG fans. Our best bet, by far, is to encourage Nintendo to acknowledge the existance of Super Mario RPG again and make an HD remake of it for the 3DS or Wii U. I am positive that this is the strongest course of action we can take, and a remake is never as hard to develop as a full blown sequel. We need to rebuild the SMRPG fanbase in order to have any hopes for Smash.
The problem isn't support really, as he has a lot. Sakurai obviously has to take pre brawl support into account when making the 4th game because that was all he had to go off of when deciding the roster. But an HD sequel or remake would absolutely give him an overwhelming amount of even more support I would agree

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I think an organized show of support would be a great idea, even if it doesn't end up panning out for Smash 4. On the one hand, from a game design perspective, usually things like the character roster would be something established before most of the actual "work" on the game starts (art assets, programming, etc). On the other hand, developers throw in unplanned things last minute all the time. A case like Geno, one where a lot of back and forth with Square Enix would be required, is something that would be better started sooner rather than later.

Frankly, I think handwritten snail mail letter writing would be the most effective tactic since it shows the most effort and dedication. At the same time, I really like your idea of having the webpage with a counter and marks where all of the supporters are in the world. A YouTuber I follow did something like that for a donation drive, and it was really interesting to see that she really did have support from all around the world (albeit higher here in the US).

A couple of things: 1) Do you think it'll matter if we write to these Japanese developers in English? I know a lot of people in Japan can read and speak English, but I'm wondering if it would have more impact if we wrote to their American offices (though I don't think Sora HAS anything like that). 2) Even though I think the website/map thing is a great idea, I don't personally know how to set something like that up...do you have plans for its implementation?

I'm exhausted right now, so I'll only post a little bit in response to this and give a more detailed one tomorrow:

The snail mail thing might be the one doable plan -- especially for a SMRPG-themed digital quilt thing -- because the snail mail addresses of Square's corporate headquarters around the world are the only meaningful means of contacting them I can find outside of their members' forum. :/ No email, no nothing. You can't even post on their Facebook page. It's quite bizarre.

I'd rather go about this both digitally and through snail mail, if for any reason this would have to be organized online anyway.

I wish we could find some people who speak Japanese fluently who would be willing to help translate letters for us. I thought about sending stuff to both Nintendo and Square of North America and Japan, but since the people making these games are all Japanese, I fail to see how contacting the North American HQs would accomplish much. I guess we'll have to send letters in both English and Japanese just in case.

There are plenty of pre-written apps you can get for a map counter, that wouldn't be hard. The only hard part I'm thinking of would be to code the website in such a way to keep out spammers and trolls who'd abuse the system. Personally, due to that, I'd rather have some kind of SMRPG-themed quilt thing be the main project, and the HQ addresses would be useful for that as we could just print out a poster-sized copy of the completed project and mail that to Nintendo, Square, and whatever studio Sakurai's in right now. I believe he's from HAL Laboratories? Also send it to AlphaDream.

But we desperately need 1) Fans fluent in Japanese, 2) organizers and 3) programmers. I can help program.

Ok, I'm exhausted, more in the morning, I'm out. x_x;

Maripu

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure I understand the huge following. Why put him in over Mario characters that have made a much bigger impact on the history of both Mario and Nintendo as a whole? Paper Mario, King Boo, Birdo, Bowser Jr., etc., all deserve a spot over Geno... not that there's anything wrong with Geno. He's just really insignificant. Even Ice Climbers, Pit, etc., are important to their respective franchises.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'm not sure I understand the huge following. Why put him in over Mario characters that have made a much bigger impact on the history of both Mario and Nintendo as a whole? Paper Mario, King Boo, Birdo, Bowser Jr., etc., all deserve a spot over Geno... not that there's anything wrong with Geno. He's just really insignificant. Even Ice Climbers, Pit, etc., are important to their respective franchises.
Paper Mario, I'll give you. But the rest...

For starters, he comes from a really fun game. If you haven't tried it, you should give it a shot! It's quite good. I believe it was also the first Mario game to be an RPG, and was the inspiration for the Mario & Luigi and the Paper Mario series'.

I think what people like most about Geno is his character. Up to that point in SNES history, there wasn't quite anyone like him. He's pretty solidly fleshed out, compared to a majority of the existing cast. His motives are understandable, his intentions are good, he's noble, courageous, his attacking style is very unique, and he's incredibly strong. He's like a knight from the stars who vows to enforce justice, no matter the cost... what's there not to like about him?

Maripu

Smash Cadet
Paper Mario, I'll give you. But the rest...

For starters, he comes from a really fun game. If you haven't tried it, you should give it a shot! It's quite good. I believe it was also the first Mario game to be an RPG, and was the inspiration for the Mario & Luigi and the Paper Mario series'.

I think what people like most about Geno is his character. Up to that point in SNES history, there wasn't quite anyone like him. He's pretty solidly fleshed out, compared to a majority of the existing cast. His motives are understandable, his intentions are good, he's noble, courageous, his attacking style is very unique, and he's incredibly strong. He's like a knight from the stars who vows to enforce justice, no matter the cost... what's there not to like about him?
Thank you for "giving" me Paper Mario. Keep in mind that Geno has been an auxiliary protagonist in one game. As I'm sure you know his only other appearance was a cameo. We are comparing this to characters who have played the following roles:

King Boo--
Main antagonist (2)
Auxiliary antagonist (3)
Spin-off [playable] (4)
Spin-off [NPC] (5)

Bowser Jr. (I really have no idea how you could even begin to dispute this one...)--
Main antagonist (1)
Auxiliary antagonist (6)
Spin-off [playable] (14)

I agree that Birdo's impact is a bit questionable... but still above that of Geno's. At least Birdo has stirred somean controversy for Nintendo over the years. Geno was dormant until discussion of SSBB characters came around. As for your reasoning... I just don't agree. The idea that he came from a fun game, imo, is irrelevant. Bowser Jr. also debuted in a very fun game not to mention making appearances in some other very fun games and he hasn't been included. While it's true that it was the first Mario RPG, it was not the inspiration for any future Mario RPGs. That is a huge stretch. It set a precedent and allowed the team to move forward with ideas for new RPGs, and it was a popular game. But neither the game nor Geno's inclusion in it were necessary for future RPGs to be created. Again, your reasoning applies not only to Geno but to many other characters as well. Before Chibi Robo, there was no character like Chibi Robo. Before Starfy, there was no character quite like Starfy. Dimentio. Blaziken. Epona. Moon. Politoed. Doctor Shrunk. Being original does not guarantee you a slot on a Smash title.

What's not to like about him? Well, at the moment, nothing. But there are a finite number of spaces on the roster for SSB4. If he were included, he would almost certainly make it in over characters that have had a much more profound impact on Mario/Nintendo history, characters that frankly make much more sense to include because of their legacy. That would be something not to like about him.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Simply because, at least to me, Geno is far more interesting as a character than any of those "generic" Mario characters.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not sure I understand the huge following. Why put him in over Mario characters that have made a much bigger impact on the history of both Mario and Nintendo as a whole?\
'Cause Geno is awesome

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'm not here to compare Geno's "credibility" to other Mario universe characters. I'm here to argue that his character is interesting. If he's somehow able to garner this much support - despite being in retirement for years - then that's not something I can explain. I'll leave that to the other people here who literally wrote essays about why he deserves to come back, because I won't be able to do him justice. I'm just a lowly forum-goer supporting my favorites, whether they have significance to their respective universes or not. :p

Sinn

Smash Lord
Thank you for "giving" me Paper Mario. Keep in mind that Geno has been an auxiliary protagonist in one game. As I'm sure you know his only other appearance was a cameo. We are comparing this to characters who have played the following roles:

King Boo--
Main antagonist (2)
Auxiliary antagonist (3)
Spin-off [playable] (4)
Spin-off [NPC] (5)

Bowser Jr. (I really have no idea how you could even begin to dispute this one...)--
Main antagonist (1)
Auxiliary antagonist (6)
Spin-off [playable] (14)

I agree that Birdo's impact is a bit questionable... but still above that of Geno's. At least Birdo has stirred somean controversy for Nintendo over the years. Geno was dormant until discussion of SSBB characters came around. As for your reasoning... I just don't agree. The idea that he came from a fun game, imo, is irrelevant. Bowser Jr. also debuted in a very fun game not to mention making appearances in some other very fun games and he hasn't been included. While it's true that it was the first Mario RPG, it was not the inspiration for any future Mario RPGs. That is a huge stretch. It set a precedent and allowed the team to move forward with ideas for new RPGs, and it was a popular game. But neither the game nor Geno's inclusion in it were necessary for future RPGs to be created. Again, your reasoning applies not only to Geno but to many other characters as well. Before Chibi Robo, there was no character like Chibi Robo. Before Starfy, there was no character quite like Starfy. Dimentio. Blaziken. Epona. Moon. Politoed. Doctor Shrunk. Being original does not guarantee you a slot on a Smash title.

What's not to like about him? Well, at the moment, nothing. But there are a finite number of spaces on the roster for SSB4. If he were included, he would almost certainly make it in over characters that have had a much more profound impact on Mario/Nintendo history, characters that frankly make much more sense to include because of their legacy. That would be something not to like about him.
It's worth mentioning that Super Mario RPG was the inspiration for Paper Mario. Without it the series may never have existed. Given the history behind Paper Mario's development, where would the idea for it have come from had SMRPG not been made? Or for that matter, how do we know that Geno wouldn't have shown up the game if Square had stuck with the project? All hypothetical questions, but they're interesting to think about.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Ok, I hurt my wrist so I've been out of commission the past couple of days. I'm typing while wearing a wrist brace. :/

What I think will really help accomplish things would be making a separate website to run both the letter-writing and the SMRPG quilt... collage... thing. That way people can submit entries from Deviantart, Photobucket, and the like with no problems. The problem is that because I injured my wrist, I'll need help making the actual website. I'll do what I can though, but if anybody with web design/programming skill can help me, please send me a PM.

This should be a simple matter, it's just that life got in the way. :(

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think you might be on the right track there.

Best chance for Geno to get into a Smash brothers game is probably more SM RPG games/re-releases.
Best place to start would be requesting SM RPG on the Wii U virtual console and a SM RPG sequel for the 3DS (there were rumors that Nintendo and Square were considering making this a few years ago but it fell through).

Aside from genoboosting his chances for SSB, it would be even more awesome to get a sequel :grin:

P.S. I still think there's a reasonable chance that Geno gets a shout out as an assist trophy or something in SSB4 due to our demand 6 years ago. That was probably all too late to effect Brawl so it would make sense that he might give a shout to Geno now.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I think you might be on the right track there.

Best chance for Geno to get into a Smash brothers game is probably more SM RPG games/re-releases.
Best place to start would be requesting SM RPG on the Wii U virtual console and a SM RPG sequel for the 3DS (there were rumors that Nintendo and Square were considering making this a few years ago but it fell through).

Aside from genoboosting his chances for SSB, it would be even more awesome to get a sequel :grin:

P.S. I still think there's a reasonable chance that Geno gets a shout out as an assist trophy or something in SSB4 due to our demand 6 years ago. That was probably all too late to effect Brawl so it would make sense that he might give a shout to Geno now.

Exactly. I may not be the most experienced gamer, but I know a good game when I see one. I just recently got Super Mario RPG on the Virtual Console, and it is a great game. Although Geno (and Mallow to a lesser extent) have as much chance as Banjo and Kazooie or Conker do, I'd prefer Geno over Cloud, Sora, Sephiroth, Slime, Lara Croft, Bubble Bobble or anybody from Square-Enix's properties (Square-Enix owns Eidos and Taito now, right?). Just think about it, revisiting the Forest Maze after so long, watching everyone's favorite pixelated puppet lay a smackdown on his former friends. That way, if Mallow is an Assist Trophy, there's the possibility of a reunion of the original 5 heroes. If Pit's appearance in SSBB got Kid Icarus: Uprising in the works, just imagine what it could do to Geno. Time to shine, old friend.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
It would seem like a waste -to me- if we got him but as an assist. A trophy I wouldn't mind seein for acknowledgement but otherwise a waste since he's owned by Square.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm actually surprised that Geno support is still fairly strong after all these years. There's a drawing of him currently on Miiverse that has well over a thousand yeahs and he's regularly requested on Miiverse, almost as much as Ridley and Krystal.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think one of the reasons Super Mario RPG was one of my most favorite games for a long time was the fact I didn't own the game.

The only time I got to play it was when I rented it.

I didn't know how to play RPG's when I first got it, and truth be told I hated the idea of Geno and Mallow the first time I played it because they weren't Mario characters.

I remember looking up Mario RPG stuff throughout my fifth grade computer lab (Mario RPG actually came out when I was in fourth grade apparently)

The thing I was actually most excited for about it was having Bowser on my team

I didn't actually own the game until probably when I was in the seventh grade.

Of course, after playing it so many times the character of Geno and even Mallow grew on me and by then I was more willing to except original characters created for that game by that point

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Just curious but does anyone have screenshots of Geno stuff on Miiverse? Would b great to compile them for that website idea Kiteinthesky has.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
It would seem like a waste -to me- if we got him but as an assist. A trophy I wouldn't mind seein for acknowledgement but otherwise a waste since he's owned by Square.
It would seem like a waste to me if we got you as an assist trophy.
Ahem.
But yeah it might feel like a slap in the face if he got that close but wasn't playable.
Mallow as an assist trophy would be pretty cool on the other hand.
Also, a Forest Maze stage with that iconic music.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people seem to think it would be impossible for Sakurai to get the rights from Square Enix to use Geno. Why? Does Square hold some kind of grudge against Nintendo that I'm not aware of? They already let them use Geno in a cameo appearance in Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
A lot of people seem to think it would be impossible for Sakurai to get the rights from Square Enix to use Geno. Why? Does Square hold some kind of grudge against Nintendo that I'm not aware of? They already let them use Geno in a cameo appearance in Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga.
I agree it's probably not a huuuge problem attaining the rights.
But it doesn't look good in combination with the other big issue of Sakurai's unlikelihood of using a character who only had a real role in one game.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
I agree it's probably not a huuuge problem attaining the rights.
But it doesn't look good in combination with the other big issue of Sakurai's unlikelihood of using a character who only had a real role in one game.
Well, Ness was only in one game, so was Lucas. Same goes with the Ice Climbers. It shouldn't really matter if the character only had a role in one game, as long as he's popular and has some good potential to be a unique fighter.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only reason Geno would get in is if he became the most demanded fan character, which is sort of hard to achieve when there are so many third parties in his way, and then Nintendo vets as well.

I do not see any issue if Sakurai noticed the demand, went after him. I mean if Square is gonna collect money off an appearance in a cameo, I don't see why they would have a problem with him having a more prominent role in a game that is gonna make more money than the Mario & Luigi game will.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
All these years later and I have not forgotten my support for Geno. Ridley remains first in my heart, but if Geno, Ridley, or Krystal get in, I will be sure to buy both versions (and thus both systems) for that if for no other reason. Sakurai is already awesome and deserves my money but if he does this he clearly deserves it twice over. Sadly the chances of all of them are pretty low. Here's to hoping though.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Geno really needs to be in it. Just cause he was such a unique character that could have accomplished a lot if given the chance~

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I love Geno but have no hope honestly.

Who ever Sakurai decided on, well the line seems to have been drawn by now. Still, I live right down the street from Square Enix. I could go in and ask what they do with actual fan letters, send a big Geno gift basket full of nothing, or just make a scene in hopes it would reach the gaming news internationally.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I do not see any issue if Sakurai noticed the demand, went after him. I mean if Square is gonna collect money off an appearance in a cameo, I don't see why they would have a problem with him having a more prominent role in a game that is gonna make more money than the Mario & Luigi game will.
To be blunt, with all the crap that's been going on with Square lately, you'd think they'd be crawling to Nintendo to have one of their more demanded properties in something as huge as Smash Bros.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Looks like the ol' Geno gang haven posted here at least once.

Feels like old times

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Does anyone else here NOT want Square-Enix to make a SMRPG2? Let's face it, they haven't produced quality content that made them legendary in the 90's in a long time and I only feel that they would royally botch it. Even though I do like the Kingdom Hearts games, I also think they are freakishly overrated (especially KH2) and are not on par with games like SMRPG, Chrono Trigger, or Final Fantasy III/VI.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Does anyone else here NOT want Square-Enix to make a SMRPG2? Let's face it, they haven't produced quality content that made them legendary in the 90's in a long time and I only feel that they would royally botch it. Even though I do like the Kingdom Hearts games, I also think they are freakishly overrated (especially KH2) and are not on par with games like SMRPG, Chrono Trigger, or Final Fantasy III/VI.
Honestly, I have no idea. I'd have to see the final product to know, and since I doubt they'll ever do that, I'll probably never know.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Hi guys, I'm back after a very grueling and brutal 2 weeks of suffering with carpal tunnel, and I am well enough to get back to working on this.

I was looking through the boards and found this little tidbit: http://smashboards.com/threads/french-interview-with-sakurai.337910/ which is an interview that states that Sakurai is no longer taking requests for SSB4 characters. I guess the roster's been finalized.

In that case, I think it would be better for the Geno -- and the SMRPG fanbase -- to focus and expand its efforts.

By expanding, I mean that the whole purpose of this exercise is to revive Geno as a major Mario character and ensure he's a recurring character in the franchise. We don't have to do that just by demanding he be put in a Smash game (though I'll expound on that below), really we can campaign Square Enix, Alphadream, et al to give him more cameos and more roles in future M&L RPGs and to allow Nintendo to use Geno in future Mario games (Paper Mario games, Mario Party/various sports and racing games)

By focus, I mean as far as the SSB front goes, we really need to be writing to Square about this, not Nintendo, recent revelations notwithstanding. Square Enix is the one with the power to make magic happen, they are the ones we need to make our demands to. So when I make the letter-writing campaign site, it'll just have contact info for Square Enix and a form allowing you to email them as well.

EDIT: Trouble is, I can't seem to pinpoint one Squeenix email that would be appropriate for such a campaign. I'm not sure how to approach this, so I wanna ask you guys:

Do you think it'd be better to find out who the higher-ups in Square Enix are and email them directly?

How about spamming Square Enix's Facebook and Twitter accounts?

They have IRL addresses for their corporate headquarters, so posting that information so people can send them snail-mail is a given.

Please give your input on the best way to approach this.

I'm well enough to go back to making the site for this little Revive Geno movement thing. Sorry it's been taking so long, my condition's been f*cking up all of my plans. :( The site's about 1/3rd of the way done, it should be finished fairly quickly.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Personally, I'd rather see Geno in a Paper Mario game and for future Paper Mario games to have elements from SMRPG in them.

Top Bottom