• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Megaman didn't have the support for Brawl and Melee that Geno had. He has only picked up steam now because Sonic and Snake already made it in
He had more support in the Pre-Melee days. He actually appeared in the Pre-Melee poll.

He also had tons of support during Pre-Brawl. Granted it wasn't Sonic support but it was still pretty high.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Megaman didn't have the support for Brawl and Melee that Geno had. He has only picked up steam now because Sonic and Snake already made it in
Yes he did. The top ten after the initial Brawl announcement in 2006 were pretty much Diddy Kong, Olimar, King Dedede, Ike, Geno, Ridley, Megaman, Krystal/Wolf (almost even), Lucario/Mewtwo (almost even), and Sonic. After Sonic, Megaman was easily the most requested third party character and, after Ridley and Sonic, was the largest character discussion thread. Even back before Brawl was officially announced, Megaman had a strong following.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Kind of wondering how everyone feels on Geno's chances now after the recent trailer and newcomer reveals. I'm still holding on to the idea of him appearing this time!

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
I feel the same as I did before the trailer today. He has very small chances anymore but I still want him more than anyone and will support him as long as smash bros is a thing

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
They brought in Mega Man from Capcom who pretty much let him collect dust. I feel they will save Geno and Mallow from Square as well. I'd be happy with AT status at the very least.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I remember the day I found out that the Forest Maze theme was cut from Brawl. I was like, "Seriously Sakurai? C'mon!"

I fully support Geno as still have great memories of Super Mario RPG.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I feel the same as I did before the trailer today. He has very small chances anymore but I still want him more than anyone and will support him as long as smash bros is a thing
Ditto to this. Geno's still my top pick after all these years. If Konami, Sega and Capcom can agree to let their characters in, I see no reason Square Enix can't bend a little for Geno.

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping Geno makes it in he was always my favorite in super Mario RPG and he never left my party....also his move set is so easy to work with so please please please add him

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If I had to pick only one character to support for the new game it would be Geno.

D

Deleted member

I always knew how unlikely it was for Geno to get into brawl. I had my doubts but I stood behind him and the fan base because to me he's just a historic character in my childhood and; imo, in the mario series. Mario RPG is not a game that should be swept under the rug. Even if it's already under there then get it out.

Also, what's your beef with me dude? You're acting pretty mean.
I lol'd.

grizby2

Smash Lord
if I had to pick a favorite new Mario rep, it would be waluigi, but geno definatelly has more to offer in terms of moveset and a determined fanbase. if not waluigi, then geno should get in at all costs. but id be surprised if I see ANY new Mario rep period.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Clearly I would love to have Geno in this time around, Little Mac is my #1 nintendo character hopeful and Geno is my #1 3rd party hopeful (that's in the realm of possible anyway).

I have doubts however, I really think his chance for inclusion was in Brawl after the fan polls and him having a huge following but this time around despite Mario RPG being MORE relevant I'm not so certain he's on Sakurai's Radar as much this time sadly.

Still I'm pulling for him and if he got in I'd be ecstatic but I'm feeling far more pessimistic this time, but hey prov me wrong I'd love to be wrong here.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I've been thinking about this lately, but given the comments that Sakurai made about third parties, do you think that applies to Geno as well? I know that Geno is OWNED by Square-Enix, but since they have no use for him, they probably wouldn't give a flying **** how he was represented in Smash. This would eliminate all the hoops, right?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I've been thinking about this lately, but given the comments that Sakurai made about third parties, do you think that applies to Geno as well? I know that Geno is OWNED by Square-Enix, but since they have no use for him, they probably wouldn't give a flying **** how he was represented in Smash. This would eliminate all the hoops, right?

I think it's still tricky and does still apply to Geno. Besides, even when a company has no real use for IP, they tend to tenaciously hold on to it just in case. I wish Nintendo would just purchase Geno... but I guess it's not like they have much use for him either, except for Smash purposes. He'd fit in just fine with the Paper Mario crowd, though...

Sinn

Smash Lord
I think it's still tricky and does still apply to Geno. Besides, even when a company has no real use for IP, they tend to tenaciously hold on to it just in case. I wish Nintendo would just purchase Geno... but I guess it's not like they have much use for him either, except for Smash purposes. He'd fit in just fine with the Paper Mario crowd, though...
Nintendo not having use for him is something I don't quite get. With as many people as there are who like the character, he'd be great in some kind of a spin-off game or series. They've done it with Mario characters before: Yoshi, Wario, DK. I know that I'd buy an RPG staring Geno, but maybe that's just me.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Nintendo not having use for him is something I don't quite get. With as many people as there are who like the character, he'd be great in some kind of a spin-off game or series. They've done it with Mario characters before: Yoshi, Wario, DK. I know that I'd buy an RPG staring Geno, but maybe that's just me.

Hehe, "starring" Geno. Ahem.

I think it's just a lot of work for Nintendo to acquire these things, especially when they have so many colorful and famous Mario characters that they'd rather promote anyway. As popular as he is in the Smash world and a few other niche places, he's primarily known for being in a game that came out 17 years ago. He's just not really known well enough to support his own spin-off. Besides, as much as I like Geno, I'm not actually sure he's (currently) protagonist material. I'm sure they could do some sort of story arc with him discovering what it means to be a mortal or something (angel-like beings being stuck on Earth instead of just watching from afar is almost a Hollywood trope by now) but as it is... I dunno.

I wouldn't mind if they put him more in the foreground of the Super Saga instead of just his cameo place. I do think he'd work for Paper Mario too, but it does make sense that Nintendo would rather focus on their own characters of their own creation.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I mean, companies tend to be focused on, you know, money. So I can see why Square Enix would love to have Geno in Smash.. assuming they get paid. That's, I'm sure, one of the complications that Sakurai is talking about when determining how to get a character in a game.

Here's a direct quote from an interview with IGN:

"'Adding third-party characters should be considered a very special case. In the last game, when we added Sonic and Snake, there were lots of different hoops to jump through as far as getting approvals and making sure all the parties involved were happy with the way things went. You can consider it a very special circumstance for that to happen...'"

It's hard to see Geno happening, as why would Square Enix want them to include him? From a marketing stand-point, Smash being a popular series, one would think that they want to put one of the main characters of their popular franchises to get some interest in them among Smash fans, not some character they created almost 20 years ago for a game series they don't own, or even worked on since That could potentially force Sakurai to add content to the game he's not interested in, along with adding to the development time potentially. ...I mean this is all just my speculation, but it's just a thought. Depends on how reasonable people at the companies are, or if Sakurai is even willing to look into it.

That being said, I would be thrilled with Geno being a character in Smash 4.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I've been silently following the movement to get Geno in a Smash Brothers game since Brawl, and after spending so much time lurking I think it's time I threw in my two cents...

I know most people don't feel it's very likely that Geno will make the cut, but I believe that those feelings are misplaced -- not because I have any particular feelings about it either way, but because no one truly knows what Nintendo or Square Enix will do despite everyone's best efforts to guess their intentions. No one necessarily knows that Square Enix would want Cloud, or Slime, or Sora, or Geno, or anybody in an SSB game at all. Everybody said that it wasn't likely that Megaman would be in a Smash Bros. game either because of third-party issues and then he singlehandedly won E3. If Sakurai/Nintendo want a character in a Smash Bros. game, they'll try to find a way to make it work. If a third-party company like Square wanted a character put in, they'd contact Nintendo and do what they could to make it work. Remember that it was pure nepotism that got Snake in Brawl. Therefore I feel that the fans should shift their focus off of the likelihood of Geno making it into a Smash Bros. game and onto what they truly want and why. (The more recent posts in this thread shows I'm not alone in thinking this)

That being said, Super Mario RPG was one of my favorite games as a child and is now my favorite SNES game as an adult. Like many others here, I grew up with this ****. It saddened me when I was younger when I found out that Nintendo and Square Enix cut ties and because of that Nintendo had to start making Paper Mario games instead of sequels to Super Mario RPG proper. Clearly I am not the only SMRPG fan who felt that way. And because of Nintendo and Squeenix's 10-year feud, SMRPG fans lost out on having any representation in future games until the recent past.

Super Mario RPG NEEDS more representation and the fans who have been waiting 17 years deserve to have their game of choice recognized. People underestimate how popular SMRPG really is -- it's one of the most downloaded games on the Wii Virtual Console. As I said it hasn't been until the recent past that any SMRPG content has been brought to light, and when it has it's been met with popular reception. People were thrilled with the Geno cameo in M&L:SS (That cameo was the only reason I bothered playing that game at all actually). The Mushroom Kingdom theme from SMRPG was used in Fortune Street for the Wii, and people noticed. And I believe fans want more -- the game certainly deserves more representation and recognition than it gets.

This is why I feel it is most important for Geno to make it into a Smash Bros. game. The whole point of Smash Brothers is to recognize and celebrate classic characters from our past as well as new ones from the present, and Geno happens to be one of those 90's retro characters who desperately needs a comeback and whom everyone desperately wants to see again. This happened with the Ice Climbers, Kid Icarus got a huuuuuge shot in the arm after being put in Brawl, and I feel this would happen with the SMRPG franchise if Geno was included in a Smash game.

Whether it's actually possible or not is up for Nintendo and Square Enix to decide as I've argued, but I will always have faith that Geno will make it into a Smash Brothers game, that the characters that helped shape my childhood will return in some meaningful way, and, like Hero_Of_Time_1997 said, I will always support his inclusion as long as Smash Brothers is a thing.

Also I want SMRPG assist trophies. Valentina and Dodo anyone? Mallow for Assist Trophy? How about some SMRPG stages and music?

Sinn

Smash Lord
I'll say this much: If Geno gets in, and SMRPG receives this boost in popularity that you mentioned, I would fully expect another Nintendo/Square Enix collaboration. Maybe not one that even has Geno, per se, but SOMETHING like a true sequel to SMRPG. And that would be the best thing ever.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I'll say this much: If Geno gets in, and SMRPG receives this boost in popularity that you mentioned, I would fully expect another Nintendo/Square Enix collaboration. Maybe not one that even has Geno, per se, but SOMETHING like a true sequel to SMRPG. And that would be the best thing ever.
It'd be about damn time, that's all I'd have to say.

The Geno cameo in M&L:SS, the SMRPG music in Fortune Street and the Kingdom Hearts games for the DS are pretty good signs that the rift between Square and Nintendo have healed, too.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've been silently following the movement to get Geno in a Smash Brothers game since Brawl, and after spending so much time lurking I think it's time I threw in my two cents...

I wish everyone did this much research in their first post.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Look at the bright side, sakurai did "promise" a fan that if he won't be able to add geno; he will add demiru/demille in his place as both are made from the same creator (Last brawl journals and q+a)

Then again, I wouldn't know how to feel about that. Considering I'm in love with sable and lip :nifty:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Look at the bright side, sakurai did "promise" a fan that if he won't be able to add geno; he will add demiru/demille in his place as both are made from the same creator (Last brawl journals and q+a)

Then again, I wouldn't know how to feel about that. Considering I'm in love with sable and lip :nifty:
I need to ask you something, what is the source of Sable and Geno? Really really curious.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I need to ask you something, what is the source of Sable and Geno? Really really curious.
You mean demiru and geno?

All it came from the pre-brawl Japanese journal entries he had; demiru was mentioned twice total. Geno had tons of requests at the time. I just mentioned sable and lip as I wouldn't want to "lose them" if it meant losing geno. Mainly because there's no chance sakurai would be adding so many Japanese only characters.

Anyway, I'll be off now to stop hijacking this thread:starman:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

All it came from the pre-brawl Japanese journal entries he had; demiru was mentioned twice total. Geno had tons of requests at the time. I just mentioned sable and lip as I wouldn't want to "lose them" if it meant losing geno. Mainly because there's no chance sakurai would be adding so many Japanese only characters.

Anyway, I'll be off now to stop hijacking this thread
Where do you learn all this? It's VERY IMPORTANT THAT I NEED A SOURCE! Its not hijacking!

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Geno would be so sweet. If Sakurai wants to put in Wii Fit Trainer and the Villager, he should at least consider a character people actually want in a Smash game. Megaman was huge, but we need Geno to balance out the Wii Fit Tainer.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman

Anyway, I'll be off now to stop hijacking this thread:starman:
Please give a link to this. Something like what you said would be a very big and important bit of info.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I'll pm you guys in a few; I'm on a phone right now and don't have access to my bookmarks.

Has anyone tried emailing square as of recent? Or even alpha dream?

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I'll pm you guys in a few; I'm on a phone right now and don't have access to my bookmarks.

Has anyone tried emailing square as of recent? Or even alpha dream?
I thought of the same thing and after looking over the Brawl Geno thread I've come up with some ideas and some very important critiques that I feel should be adhered to if another attempt to get Geno in a Smash Brothers game is to succeed. It'll take me a while to write it all up though; I'll post it in a few hours.

Top Bottom