• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
True, but it's not a strictly Nintendo cast anymore. And I mean... He's pretty much Nintendo. Hahaha... Why must he be so unlikely to happen? T_T
1.Third Parties are limited. We will be lucky if we get three and Sonic, Snake, Megaman and a Namco rep have priority.
2. His support has all but died after Brawl.
3. People want other Mario/Third parties instead.
4. Terrible terrible legal issues.
5. Horribly obscure.
6. Not a retro rep, so he cannot be revived that way.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
1.Third Parties are limited. We will be lucky if we get three and Sonic, Snake, Megaman and a Namco rep have priority.
2. His support has all but died after Brawl.
3. People want other Mario/Third parties instead.
4. Terrible terrible legal issues.
5. Horribly obscure.
6. Not a retro rep, so he cannot be revived that way.
The guy is clearly not trying to debate you, but here you go having at him. We say his chances are so unlikely and just want to support him, and then you guys just post stuff we all already are aware of. Also a lot of your reasons you just listed are ****. there's like 2 valid ones. Pretty sad that I as a Geno supporter could come up with a better argument against him than you guys can.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The guy is clearly not trying to debate you, but here you go having at him. We say his chances are so unlikely and just want to support him, and then you guys just post stuff we all already are aware of. Also a lot of your reasons you just listed are ****. there's like 2 valid ones. Pretty sad that I as a Geno supporter could come up with a better argument against him than you guys can.
Why don't you put your money where your mouth is tough guy?

Also, looking back, I misinterpreted his comment as a question. Whoops. My mistake on that.

Also, what's your beef with me dude? You're acting pretty mean.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Ouch, your words hurt me. So badly. I wish I was as smart as you. Boo hoo. Ice Climber, R.O.B. games, Game and Watch Gallery and Kid Icarus were classic Nintendo games that got represented for that reason.

The man put Dr. Mario in the game simply because he wanted to justify putting in the music

There is no great tome full of secret Sakuraisms that can decide who gets in and who doesn't, the only criteria he's flat out said is that in order to be in the game the character must:

1) be a video game character
2) have been in a Nintendo game

Geno fits both of these criteria, if the man with complete control over the game decides he wants Geno to be in the game, he will call up Square-Enix and ask them.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The man put Dr. Mario in the game simply because he wanted to justify putting in the music

There is no great tome full of secret Sakuraisms that can decide who gets in and who doesn't, the only criteria he's flat out said is that in order to be in the game the character must:

Geno fits both of these criteria, if the man with complete control over the game decides he wants Geno to be in the game, he will call up Square-Enix and ask them.
There are four criteria actually.

# 1: The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game. Geno may fits this.
# 2: The character must be unique. Geno fits this.
# 3: The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros. Geno fits this.
# 4: They must contribute to the series balance. Geno can fit this.

Those four are directy from Sakurai.

Sakurai also said that third parties mus have appeared on a Nintendo console, which Geno fits.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
# 1: The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.
The inclusion of any character is going to make people want to play the game. No one is going to see Takamaru in the trailer or something and say to themselves, "You know, I was going to get this but that samurai makes me no longer want to".

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The inclusion of any character is going to make people want to play the game. No one is going to see Takamaru in the trailer or something and say to themselves, "You know, I was going to get this but that samurai makes me no longer want to".
There are several people here who would boycott the game if Goku was included.

And imagine if they included Goomba. People would not be happy.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

People refusing to buy a game based on the inclusion of a character as opposed to the exclusion of one are idiots

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice

There would also be an influx of people who would go out of their ways to buy the game if Goku was included, a much higher number than the group of 20 boycotters. No one here is NOT going to buy the game because of a single character.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There would also be an influx of people who would go out of their ways to buy the game if Goku was included, a much higher number than the group of 20 boycotters. No one here is NOT going to buy the game because of a single character.
People refusing to buy a game based on the inclusion of a character as opposed to the exclusion of one are idiots
You'd both be surprised.

Believe me.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure people registered on a website dedicated to smash bros are going to boycott this game over a single character

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm sure people registered on a website dedicated to smash bros are going to boycott this game over a single character
Want to ask them? Go ahead.

Regardless, this is getting off-topic. We better round this around back to Geno or move this conversation else where.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

There are actually four criteria that Sakurai actually has established. Taken from the Mach Rider thread (Also in the Mega Man thread, and various threads everywhere) :

1. The character must make someone want to play the game.
2. The character must be unique.
3. The character must fit into the game.
4. The character must contribue to the game balance.

And we all know Sakurai is a wierd guy, but it helps to look at his past decisions to understand his current motives as best as you possibly can. It's just the way people are.

As for Geno, I love Geno, but I honestly think people are deluding themselves. Is he popular? Yes. Is he amazing? Yes. Is he as amazing as Mega Man? Debatable. Is he as popular as Mega Man? No way. Considering Sonic's placement was a popularity contest, unless Geno wins the "obscure" third party choice, if there even is one, he isn't going to win the popularity contest.

And I hate to be that guy. I really do.

It's great to see such an influx of new people though. Welcome to the boards, those who joined in the past two weeks!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I really don't know why people are arguing over the chances of Geno's inclusion. Truth is, because he is third party, his chances are not very high due to the fact that Sakurai wants to limit third parties. That said, we already have characters, like Megaman, in mind as well as a possible returning Snake and Sonic. Not to mention Pac-Man with Namco-Bandai being the co-developers. Even if Square wanted to rep a character, as I said before, Geno faces stiff competition from Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters alone (both having seen faithful releases on Nintendo consoles).

People need to accept that while yes, Geno is popular, unless everyone and their mothers send petitions and emails to Nintendo to include Geno, his odds of being in Smash 4 in playable form are realistically grim.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
My favorite part of this thread is people skimming the past couple pages and then concocting a paragraph of things everyone universally agrees with and has been posted by 8 other people already. Nice analysis guys!

D

Deleted member

How about we all shut up about how the overrated doll is unlikely and just talk about the overrated doll in general.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My favorite part of this thread is people skimming the past couple pages and then concocting a paragraph of things everyone universally agrees with and has been posted by 8 other people already. Nice analysis guys!

Not trying to incite an argument, but I'll just ask this: How likely do you think Geno is?

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
Yes I agree. Overrated though? It's all opinion man. Some would say Entei is a stupid pokemon who is overrated.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yes I agree. Overrated though? It's all opinion man. Some would say Entei is a stupid pokemon who is overrated.
woah. dude. you don't go there. thats just an unnecessary stab at something that someone who barley did anything to you obviously likes. just no.

*sigh*, this is why I don't like hanging out with anyone my age. they are all jerks. maybe even me, a bit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've said in almost every post here that I don't think he is likely and yet everyone posts the same stuff saying LOL U THNK HE HAS A CHANCE?

Then I must ask: If you yourself don't find him likely, why do you, from what I've seen, get rather defensive when someone says he's unlikely? Just asking.

On Geno himself, he's a pretty cool guy. Interesting cosmetic flair, nice moves, and an interesting backstory that many Mario characters lack. However, I find him to be terribly unlikely. Just my opinion.

D

Deleted member

yeah, I like him. It's too bad he's unlikely. but if sakuri added dr. mario just to add the music, maybe he'll do the same with geno and his music.
There was actually more reasoning than just the music. Music was just one of the excuses.
Bear in mind that Dr. Mario served as a clone. In order to serve as a clone, a character has to have a similar model and body frame.
Dr. Mario has the exact same one as Mario, making him an easy option for a clone.

And, if cednym is to be believed, Dr. Mario was chosen for being in an acclaimed puzzle game, and because he's a doctor, in which one "would be present in an event like Smash Bros. fighting".

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
There was actually more reasoning than just the music. Music was just one of the excuses.
Bear in mind that Dr. Mario served as a clone. In order to serve as a clone, a character has to have a similar model and body frame.
Dr. Mario has the exact same one as Mario, making him an easy option for a clone.

And, if cednym is to be believed, Dr. Mario was chosen for being in an acclaimed puzzle game, and because he's a doctor, in which one "would be present in an event like Smash Bros. fighting".
well, it's still possibly a positive point for geno, despite almost having all negitive points right now.

also having a doctor in a fighting game is kinda ironic, I see what sakuri did there now. lol

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
Then I must ask: If you yourself don't find him likely, why do you, from what I've seen, get rather defensive when someone says he's unlikely? Just asking.

Because they're saying he's unlikely for stupid reasons. He's unlikely, but not for half the things they're saying

On Geno himself, he's a pretty cool guy. Interesting cosmetic flair, nice moves, and an interesting backstory that many Mario characters lack. However, I find him to be terribly unlikely. Just my opinion.
woah. dude. you don't go there. thats just an unnecessary stab at something that someone who barley did anything to you obviously likes. just no.

*sigh*, this is why I don't like hanging out with anyone my age. they are all jerks. maybe even me, a bit.
How old are you bro? I'm 21.

And he said Geno was overrated so I said Entei was. How is that too much? Jesus.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And he said Geno was overrated so I said Entei was. How is that too much? Jesus.

It's just sort of immature.

"I think this character is sort of overrated."

"NU-UH! The character YOU like that has nothing to do with this discussion is overrated!"

Like that, albeit a dramatization.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
And someone thought the bickering was over... ha! HA I SAY! I serve... a higher authority...

Also, on the topic of boycotting the game because a ludicrous character is in, like Goku, to me seems silly. It's not like I want to play the game because Goku isn't in it. Thus with his inclusion my desire to play the game still remains intact, despite me thinking said inclusion is ludicrous.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
And someone thought the bickering was over... ha! HA I SAY! I serve... a higher authority...

Also, on the topic of boycotting the game because a ludicrous character is in, like Goku, to me seems silly. It's not like I want to play the game because Goku isn't in it. Thus with his inclusion my desire to play the game still remains intact, despite me thinking said inclusion is ludicrous.
Right, I certainly think it's much more likely for someone to not purchase the game because their favorite character didn't get in. As an example, I certainly saw some people say they wouldn't purchase Brawl if Geno didn't get in (who knows if that was true, though).

I mean, I'd be rather irritated if the game had Goku and Cloud in it because they aren't Nintendo All-Stars, but... I could get used to it. Erk.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

Seriously people, let's just discuss movesets. Personally, I'd want to see Geno Whirl in there. He has to have some projectiles. Maybe his standard combo attacks can be pseudo projectiles with his arms detaching and reattaching with every punch?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I imagine him having projectiles in his normal attacks similar to snake. His A combo ending with a barrage of bullets that go a short distance and his forward smash launching either his fist of a canonball

His normal B being Geno Beam, which charges up and fires for longer periods of time depending on how long you charge it. Geno whirl being side B, being a fast projectile with little damage but under the right circumstance can have a great knockback

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
*ignores bickering*

Seriously people, let's just discuss movesets. Personally, I'd want to see Geno Whirl in there. He has to have some projectiles. Maybe his standard combo attacks can be pseudo projectiles with his arms detaching and reattaching with every punch?
That would be pretty cool. I'd also assume Geno Whirl would end up making his moveset, I'd say it's his most iconic move. Geno Flash would probably also be his FS. I'd also be surpised if Geno Beam and Geno Blast weren't incorporated in some way, though I can't really think of an existing move that would be good for recovery off the top of my head. Who knows, something original can always be used as well. A rocket punch would also be pretty cool, either as a special or Smash attack or something.

I'm sure these ideas have been brought up before, but Geno really does already sort of have a built-in moveset.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I still think Geno Whirl should be able to do extra damage if you hit B at a sweetspot just like in SMRPG. That would be the coolest thing ever to me.

Geno's greatest appeal, like N3ON brought up, he has a built-in moveset, and also has huge potential in having interesting and diverse standard attacks because of all the very different weapons in SMRPG that involve his body having weapon compartments, like his fingers, elbows, arms, shooting his arms, etc. That, and having SMRPG additions in Smash would be a blessing to the game. Its for these reasons really that a corner of my heart still wants him in after all this time (I had two accounts before this during the pre-brawl days).

Top Bottom