• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

D

Deleted member

What's the difference between deserving and worth?
Worth may have been the wrong word, but in the sense that I was using it, when I talk about "deserving", I talk about the character's importance to the series they come from, which Geno lacks. He's only important for one game only in a series with 250+ games and is not even owned by Nintendo.
When I talk about "worth", I talk about what makes the character worth adding to Smash. Being deserving ties into worth, but it's not the only contribution. With Geno's deserving level being quite low, that's already a down spike for worth. His only saving grace in the worth department is that he is on the unique side (Smash doesn't have any living dolls with weapons) and has a fanbase, no matter how much of a vocal minority or bandwagoning it is.
It's very comparable to Dunsparce, who receieved a bandwagoning fanbase earlier this year. Both characters don't deserve it due to being extremely minor to their respective series, and yet, both characters would be interestingly different compared to the rest of the cast.

There are times though where a character is deserving, but has little worth. Best example? Tingle.
He is a recurring Zelda character that has his own spin-off titles. This pretty much puts him above any other recurring Zelda character that isn't a part of the Triforce Trio. However, his worth is low due to having a stark hatebase within the States, and a meager fanbase within Japan and Europe (they don't hate him, but he's not overly loved from what people have gathered).

Anytime one company uses another company's property it is a big deal. Even within the same company, you have different subsidiaries that require legal, contractual approval. When you have a third party company that is already known for being tightwads, then yes, it just might be a big deal in this context.

I am well aware of that. I'm merely questioning the idea that there would have been legal issues in getting permission for something as insignificant as a Sticker, when a different licensed cameo had been made before.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think you two have successfully run my farfetch'd joke into the ground. Feel free to get back on topic. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm late to the party, but I believe Geno is neither "deserving" nor "worthy" (though worth is a hard factor to concisely define) to be in Smash, but if he was hypothetically first-party, then I believe his massive popularity would supersede his relative unimportance. However, coupled with the fact that he is a fairly minor third-party character (and thus would require a good deal more effort than a normal character, with comparatively little return -unlike other 3rd party additions-), it should really come as no surprise if his inclusion is never pursued.

That being said, I'd still love to see him, but realistically the addition of a third-party character this minor and frankly, undeserving, is quite :083:.
:troll::troll::troll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, this thread is not getting the type of attention I was hoping for.

I was hoping on more mario/ geno based art projects and people discussing fond memories of the game. More in the lines with the pre-Brawl thread.

But I guess advertising laptops and arguments based on how and why people SHOULD support a character are what it's going to be.

oogga

Smash Rookie
Geno is never going to happen whether you like it or not. He's a bland hunk of wood from one spinoff game, big deal. He is as important as a character as Goombario or Koops.

...Although I do admit that Geno Boost is the most broken move in the game.
If geno boost was the most broken move in that game, everyone would use geno on their roster. Most teams are mario bowser and peach

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If geno boost was the most broken move in that game, everyone would use geno on their roster. Most teams are mario bowser and peach
Well, those teams suck

Geno Whirl can kill any normal enemy in 1 hit, and 2 bosses as well. Plus Geno has a higher speed than Mario and a higher attack than Bowser

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Geno is basically an carbon copy of the Black Mage from Final Fantasy. Which is justified since Super Mario RPG and Final Fantasy were both developed by Squaresoft.

Also for reference

Mario and Mallow = Red Mage
Peach = White Mage
Bowser = Warrior

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isn't Mallow closer to a black mage since he is actually magic based? Geno's based on attack and speed.

Mallow's got some healing moves, but still

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The Black Mage specializes in very powerful attacks but has terrible defenses, just like Geno.

Mallow is more like the Red Mage, a character that has no weaknesses but no strengths ether and learns a little of every kind of move.

Brave Raiden

Smash Rookie
Well, this thread is not getting the type of attention I was hoping for.

I was hoping on more mario/ geno based art projects and people discussing fond memories of the game. More in the lines with the pre-Brawl thread.

But I guess advertising laptops and arguments based on how and why people SHOULD support a character are what it's going to be.
I think there are other ways we can go about this. I have some Geno fan art to share, but I thought I'd point out that we ( addressing Wii U owners) have this wonderful thing called the Miiverse that we can use to produce art and discuss games. There's some untapped potential there in getting other people on board for whatever character someone desires. Not that any of this will, or will not, make a lick of difference...but propaganda is fun!

I'll take some snapshots of a few of the drawings I've made on Miiverse that are Smash-related, most of which being pro-Geno and pro- Megaman.

If anyone wants to look me up or follow me on Miiverse my account is Brave_Raiden, display name is simply Tim. I think we should all get in on this. Maybe simply designate the Nintendo Land community as our propaganda location? It probably won't effect the outcome of the Smash Bros roster, but at least we can have some fun until the game launches. Simply put, it would be awesome to see Smash Brothers- oriented drawings popping up everywhere.

Anyway, here's a few sketches off of my Deviant Art.

Geno Equipped Bowyer!

Geno has gone heavy

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What all of you guys seem to not notice is that there was an unused track in Brawl, which is in fact the Forest Maze theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCAoj8Lmimw

It could be Sakurai's intention of Geno being in the game in some sort of way, I bet they made this music before they asked Square.

Also an idea, Geno should be introduced in the SSB4 trailer like this:

Music playing in it, but it would be orchestrated to give people wonder what they are hearing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6sgf3p4I3I
The music would stop at 0:40

*(Camera moves down slowly* A sparkle revolves around a slowly fading in spotlight for 32 seconds (To represent how long it finally it took to get Geno in Super Smash Bros.)*
*The spotlight shows a darkened puppet doll*
*The sparkles revolves around the doll and goes in the doll, just like in SMRPG*
Use this for reference
*The doll slowly begins to brighten*
*The doll begins to move and stand with a fighting pose, as the camera zooms in on Geno's face*
*A "NEWCOMER: GENO" appears on the screen*
*Geno speaks:"I have returned from the cosmos"*
*The Coming soon appears on the screen*

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What all of you guys seem to not notice is that there was an unused track in Brawl, which is in fact the Forest Maze theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCAoj8Lmimw

It could be Sakurai's intention of Geno being in the game in some sort of way, I bet they made this music before they asked Square.
First of all, most of us do know about that theory. But it's just a theory. All we know is there was a removed Mario track that had to do with "Forest Mushroom" or Morino Kinoko (Forest Mushroom in Japanese), as the file name is snd_bgm_A12_MORINOKINOKO. While its placement in the data would suggest its from an RPG, it hasn't been confirmed that it from SMRPG, though, granted, chances are it was this song. It also could've been Toadwood Forest though, from M&L: Partners in Time (as it came right after another M&L song in the data) or "In the Mushroom Forest" from Mario Party, as there is no Mario Party category in the songs, so it could've been placed theoretically anywhere.

Secondly, that song is just a fan recreation. It wasn't the actual song removed from Brawl.

Thirdly, just because there might've been a song from SMRPG, doesn't mean Geno was at one point planned.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Source??????

Also I said could be an intention..
You can't take song data from data that's been removed/inaccessible. All that's left is the placeholder name.

Here, this is from the description of the first upload of that recreation of the song (the one you posted was just another copy uploaded two years later), on April 6, 2008:

"There are a number of unused tracks listed, but not accessible, within the code for Super Smash Bros Brawl. This series of videos is meant to illustrate what these tracks may have been like if they were usable in the game. All tracks are taken from the album compiled and edited by EditorArtist. You can download the full album of unused tracks from: http://videogamescrapbook.com/

Note that these are at best guesses as to what the songs would've actually sounded like if they were in the game. Since it is not possible to hear them, the song selections are only educated guesses based on the filenames."

They are just recreations (very well done recreations) of guesses towards the removed songs. Of course, most of the removed songs are pretty straight-forward as to which song they are, but this one has never been confirmed to be from SMRPG.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
You can't take song data from data that's been removed/inaccessible. All that's left is the placeholder name.

Here, this is from the description of the first upload of that recreation of the song (the one you posted was just another copy uploaded two years later), on April 6, 2008:

"There are a number of unused tracks listed, but not accessible, within the code for Super Smash Bros Brawl. This series of videos is meant to illustrate what these tracks may have been like if they were usable in the game. All tracks are taken from the album compiled and edited by EditorArtist. You can download the full album of unused tracks from: http://videogamescrapbook.com/

Note that these are at best guesses as to what the songs would've actually sounded like if they were in the game. Since it is not possible to hear them, the song selections are only educated guesses based on the filenames."

They are just recreations (very well done recreations) of guesses towards the removed songs. Of course, most of the removed songs are pretty straight-forward as to which song they are, but this one has never been confirmed to be from SMRPG.
Well normally, you don't have an orchestra to make a beautiful remixed song like Forest Maze..

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, the creator of that video had this to say:

"...Although I'm sure Sakurai won't see this, and the roster has already been decided (I imagine they do that early into production), it was fun making!"

I don't think he's delusioned at all about Geno's chances.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Oh I agree. I was just kind of defending the creator of the video because Habanero said he was a "dreamer who will be crushed by reality" or something. That's all! In fact I linked the creator to this thread so he can join you guys in the discussion.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's a cool video, I'm going to put it in the OP

Also Habenaro being a Debby Downer because he's jeleous

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Apparently, someone tweeted that video to Sakurai.

What do you think will happen?

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Apparently, someone tweeted that video to Sakurai.

What do you think will happen?
I'd be nice if he acknowledge that he saw it. I tried tweeting it to him too actually. I spend a lot of time on tumblr and facebook, but twitter I don't particularly know too much about. I think people have tweeted me, but since I'm not following them I don't see it? Is there some sort of alert or something to tell me I've been tweeted to? Cause otherwise how will Sakurai see our tweets? e_e

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@Terminal I'm sure Sakurai will be able to see it somehow. Also forgot to say this earlier. Good job on the animation. I also love your Nintendo Pun series. :p

@Habanero Uh.... It's not the fact that you think a character is unlikely. It's kind of the way you say it. Just trying to help.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Hey thanks :p I'm the creator of that video. I thought I'd drop into these forums and chat a bit as I'm suddenly excited for Smash Bros. again.
Dude, I have to say I looooooove your channel. :embarrass:
The puns in NoPUNtendo are terribly great. I can't watch them without giggling at least once. Also, Zubatman. So well thought, very well executed.
I wish you had more subscribers. You deserve to be up there with the big guns of animation.
[/fangirl]

Anyways, tweets that are sent from guys who you don't follow are ignored in your "Home" timeline, but you can see every tweet directed to you [also Retweets and Favorites] in the "Interactions" timeline.
Sakurai CAN see your tweet, but I don't know if he WILL. He must receive a lot of tweets for being the video games rock star that he is, so your tweet might be completely lost in the sands of time by now.
One thing we could do is spam this to him, but we don't wanna be annoying to him, right?
Right?

Oh yes, I am so incredibly "jeleous". Surely such a pitiful scum bag like me shall never experience the joys of such shallow support for a character that bares no meaning in this world.
Ooh, someone is grumpy.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Top Bottom