• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm feeling that we don't even necessarily need to get top number of votes to get Geno in. Maybe just be memorable enough.

Maybe have high quality comments.

Not sure if they even bother reading them.

Maybe a character as obscure as Geno getting a higher than expected number of votes will be enough to pique their interest

Sinn

Smash Lord
I'm feeling that we don't even necessarily need to get top number of votes to get Geno in. Maybe just be memorable enough.

Maybe have high quality comments.

Not sure if they even bother reading them.

Maybe a character as obscure as Geno getting a higher than expected number of votes will be enough to pique their interest
Not sure if they'll read through all of them, but I imagine they'll skim through them all and look at ones that appear to have substance. After all, the site specifically says, "Your vote may be made public via the Internet." I don't suspect they would do that without intentions to post at least some of the votes...of course, they could always just put that to cover their ass.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
If we get a decent number of votes and make it to top 10, we can at least show Nintendo that the fans really want Geno and maybe they'll take that into account for other games like a new Paper Mario.

Also, we might want to make some Miiverse drawings to help the campaign. I do remember a person who would made a lot of Geno drawings. She was called NaraPshko but her profile is now hidden.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If we get a decent number of votes and make it to top 10, we can at least show Nintendo that the fans really want Geno and maybe they'll take that into account for other games like a new Paper Mario.

Also, we might want to make some Miiverse drawings to help the campaign. I do remember a person who would made a lot of Geno drawings. She was called NaraPshko but her profile is now hidden.
She has a different account on miiverse now she said that she got banned 7 times for no reason

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
I think that the best comments are taken in account. The number have a factor but they want US to convince THEM WHY they should add this or that character (in our case, our beloved Geno).
Again, we have to be really convincing. And yes, fanart can help a lot. I have done one in Miiverse, not many notes but something that start small can become big. I'm working on something for my other art account.

As for the trailer, I would imagine like we see Mario and Peach stargazing (maybe Bowser hiding in a bush for the laugh ?) and some shooting stars strike across the night sky, zoom on one of them who speeds through the ground then enter a forest (mmm wonder which one u: ) then enters Gaz's home where we see from the exterior some light shining through the windows and then the screen fades to black.
We see now a fight scene between Mario and other smashers (Megaman for my headcannon sake *shot* ). Mario fights one of them and is about to get OHKOed when little stars appears from nowhere and hits the one who was about to beat Mario. Cue Mario and the other smasher looking toward where the stars appeared and a shadow looming in the far distance on top of something (depends the stage). The shadow stands up and is revealed that it was Geno. He jumps down (cue Splash screen) and then you know what happens next xD

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
this did come from 4chan so whats your opinion on this?
Well, I think that the list is pretty accurate, while some of the characters are unknown to me (like Mallo) or that some are questionable (Like Monita, what the-) The one who did this researched well. At least they had clearly put that the ones that are already in the game cannot be a DLC (I bet a lot are ragging about it in 4chan :p)
And at least the one who made the list stated it wasn't official. So maybe the list is wrong but it shows what we may be expecting as how they will think through the selecting process.

Good to see that Geno is in the Running list. There's still hope after all.

Sinn

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Someone get a thousand people to retweet this STAT.

On that note (I dunno if you can do this, but...), @juiceDiem is DM Brandon's twitter handle. He's a Twitch streamer who supports Geno and has like 14.5K followers. I don't know if he would try to help push this in front of his people, and therefore in front of Square-Enix, if you tried getting it in front of him, but it may be worth a shot.

TailsFan92

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I am new to the forum here and also really want to see Geno come back not only for Super Smash Bros., but also for future games in general. I know there has been a lot of talk over AlphaDream owning the rights to Geno and Mallow instead of Square Enix, and some were debating over whether or not Nintendo would even consider non-Nintendo characters. I recently found this article that pretty much confirms that ALL video game characters are on the table. Even if Geno was still Square Enix property, he still could very well be a possibility. Despite how cool it would be to see Banjo-Kazooie in the game, I will still always fight for Geno.
h ttp://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/05/nintendo-of-america-representative-says-any-video-game-character-is-eligible-for-super-smash-bros/

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Retweeted ! :)
But yeah, I agree, a smaller hashtag will have more impact than a long one. After all, they may think "TL;DR" ;p
And awesome news ! Our chance for Geno is higher now ! :) (Btw, welcome TailsFan92 ! ^^ )
Although, the stats are quite confusing, is there any way to know which is which ? x)

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
this did come from 4chan so whats your opinion on this?
That list is dumb. I don't buy that those assist trophies couldn't be taken out of the game and replaced with playable fighters. Patches don't exist and Nintendo doesn't have control over their own game? Also why would they have a whole section filled with 3rd party characters and claim that they're all highly unlikely, even though one of the heads of Microsoft said B-K would be fine (same with Shantae and her creators), and even though Sega's on-board, but Geno is in the top twelve? The list doesn't make any sense.

I don't mean to be mean when I say that, just to be clear. I would appreciate it if Nintendo would release some voter stats once a month or something so we can get some official data.

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Retweeted ! :)
But yeah, I agree, a smaller hashtag will have more impact than a long one. After all, they may think "TL;DR" ;p
And awesome news ! Our chance for Geno is higher now ! :) (Btw, welcome TailsFan92 ! ^^ )
Although, the stats are quite confusing, is there any way to know which is which ? x)
There was a problem fetching the tweet

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
That list is dumb. I don't buy that those assist trophies couldn't be taken out of the game and replaced with playable fighters. Patches don't exist and Nintendo doesn't have control over their own game? Also why would they have a whole section filled with 3rd party characters and claim that they're all highly unlikely, even though one of the heads of Microsoft said B-K would be fine (same with Shantae and her creators), and even though Sega's on-board, but Geno is in the top twelve? The list doesn't make any sense.

I don't mean to be mean when I say that, just to be clear. I would appreciate it if Nintendo would release some voter stats once a month or something so we can get some official data.
Who put Hawlucha in that list? I don't want any more pokemon! I guess I can understand the logic of not using an Assist Trophy, they already put time into making it, they have models that aren't as detailed as playable characters so they'd have to make another model for a playable version, then they would probably want to remove the AT, since there are no ATs of already playable characters, and that would waste the time they spent into making the AT in the first place. But it's not official so if they REALLY wanted to put, say, Midna in, it isn't impossible.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

something is telling me that nintendo might not reveal the result because they might skip some charcater who is ranked so high so it might make alot of fans disappointed and angry

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Who put Hawlucha in that list? I don't want any more pokemon! I guess I can understand the logic of not using an Assist Trophy, they already put time into making it, they have models that aren't as detailed as playable characters so they'd have to make another model for a playable version, then they would probably want to remove the AT, since there are no ATs of already playable characters, and that would waste the time they spent into making the AT in the first place. But it's not official so if they REALLY wanted to put, say, Midna in, it isn't impossible.
I can understand that with the other ATs maybe, but what about Dillon? Everyone remember when we all noticed that Dillon's model was as advanced and as highly designed as the other playable fighters? I always thought that Dillon was supposed to be playable but Nintendo changed their minds at the last minute.

something is telling that nintendo might not reveal the result because they might skip some charcater who is ranked so high so it might make alot of fans disappointed and angry
I guess that's fair. To be honest, I kind of expect this poll to be as meaningless as the Brawl poll was -- anyone remember when we all found out that the Brawl roster was set from the beginning and the poll didn't actually mean anything? I'm hoping that doesn't happen this time and that the people's votes actually will matter, but... :(

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I guess that's fair. To be honest, I kind of expect this poll to be as meaningless as the Brawl poll was -- anyone remember when we all found out that the Brawl roster was set from the beginning and the poll didn't actually mean anything? I'm hoping that doesn't happen this time and that the people's votes actually will matter, but... :(
Surely it will count this time! The poll was made public all cross the world. I remember the Japanese Brawl poll was made after they already decided the roster, which was a shame because Geno was like, in the top 4.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Surely it will count this time! The poll was made public all cross the world. I remember the Japanese Brawl poll was made after they already decided the roster, which was a shame because Geno was like, in the top 4.
Wow they actually made a poll even if the rooster was already decided :I
Or maybe it was for the next game (aka 3DS/WIIU) ?
But then again, Geno didn't make it, so probably just to see what they thought :I

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright guys, strap in and make a cup of coffee because I'm going to go on a longwinded spiel... if we're going to be serious about this campaign then we really need to think about how we are going to go about this beyond voting. There is one major thing we need to admit before starting any major campaign:

Geno's not going to be winning any popularity contests.

He's still very obscure and most of his popularity has come about from the people who grew up with Super Mario RPG. We need to recognise that, unlike K. Rool, this can't be a major talking point for him. This being said, we cannot approach things like the K. Rool fanbase. The K. Rool fanbase is very well organized and they've basically have been waiting for something like this since evidence came about last spring that K. Rool probably wasn't going to be playable in the initial release. Unlike most fanbases, they had a DLC back-up plan and, so far, they've run with it. This works for K. Rool though because, alongside Ridley and Mewtwo, he was one of the most wanted characters for this game. With Ridley as a boss and Mewtwo in, he really doesn't have any major competition anymore so it's a pretty straight forward campaign. They really don't need to "raise awareness" because plenty of people already know the character because he's already in a good number of people's wishlists. This is why their campaign is likely to be successful: they've known where their greatest strength runs and have just pushed it further. This then begs the question:

What is the Geno fanbase's main strength?

We you go through the past couple of pages, what do you notice about many of people who post here? Including myself, many of us have been here a long time and many of the newer people openly admit that they've supported Geno on other sites. We have a longevity that most of the other fanbases don't have. Think about the scope of Smash character support. It could be argued that people really started to campaign for characters in Smash in the fall of 2001. Of course, in the following years, this exploded to the point where SSB4 had a good 30 sizable fanbases arguing for spots in Smash Bros with hundreds of others inbetween from the hilariously impossible like Earthworm Jim to dark horse characters like Duck Hunt who got the last laugh. But there have been some things that have stayed consist over the years...

If you think about the popularity of characters throughout the Smash fanbase, you'll notice trends but you'll also notice characters who were in demand since the pre-Melee days. Characters like Wario, Diddy, Dedede, and Megaman eventually got in. Most of the characters who were in demand back then either got in or their popularity virtually disappeared when they didn't make the cut. There are, however, three exceptions to this... Ridley, K. Rool, and... Geno. (Isaac almost qualifies but his popularity didn't really take off until after Melee came out, kind of like Olimar.) With each new game, these three have had some sort of noticeable presence and yet none of them are playable and K. Rool and Geno didn't have major cameos. Even without being playable, these three have been considered a big part of Smash culture for over a decade but let's take a moment to focus on Geno.

Geno isn't like K. Rool or Ridley.

K. Rool and Ridley were major villains in a number of games and many people argue that they are in the same league as Bowser and Ganon. Both have long histories with their respective franchises but Geno doesn't. Geno was only playable in one game with a minor cameo in another and yet... he keeps coming back. He'll regularly be on the front page for character discussions and fan art is still very common for him even after all these years. He was a noticeable part of the discussion in 2001, 2006, and 2013 despite his obscurity. What does this mean?

Something about Geno's character must register in a big way with his fans.

This is where the Geno's fanbase strength lies. Geno fans are tenacious. Ridley and K. Rool will probably always be in demand until they're added but, at the same time, they will likely appear in games over and over again or at least be referenced. At this time, it's up in the air if Geno will ever be in a Mario game again. It's almost been 20 years but people still want him back and that's pretty impressive. That's what sets this fanbase apart. For many of us here, SMRPG and Geno meant a lot to us in grade school and mean a lot to us now that we're adults. It's nostalgia but, at the same time, it's more than that because I don't think many of us would still show support if that was the only factor. We know there's something great about the character and I'm sure many of you here could make a stupidly long list about what you like about him. It's one thing to support a character through one Smash generation cycle but three?

That's pretty impressive, especially for a one shot character for a franchise that has 171 games in all.

This is our ace in the hole as a fanbase and, going forward, I think this is one of the major factors we need to shed more light on.

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
Longevity, Tenacity, Nostalgia.
Based off these factors, I have a quick strategy plan to reunite the old and bring in the new and unfamiliar. People like to identify and belong. How can we acheive this? Bring back the old videos from the "Character Wars". Smash Kingdom, Rawrest Forest, etc. The days when fanboys were splitting each others throats (without turning on anyone like then, mind you).
Why? As pre-WWI Europe knows, "Wars make states, and states make wars". You know who's super annoying, but strong together and still around? "90's kids". Why? Because they want something to claim as theirs....so they harp about what they have and bond over it. Now they are a force.Now references to the 90's are finding themselves in more than just nostalgic media, such as kids shows and games...and our shows. They are recognized, and people who are from that era enjoy belonging, even if they don't want to identify. We should take a similar approach by bringing back old media from our brawl campaign. Geno fans will reunite, and people who played the games or remember the wars will be swept up in the movement. We don't need the devout, we need the untitled, the uninvolved, and the unsure.

TL;DR
Spread old videos that are Pro-Geno. Harp about the good ol' days. Play on the Nostalgia of SMRPG. Talk about the force of nature our movement used to be..???
PROFIT.

Last edited:

TailsFan92

Smash Cadet
The one thing that does concern me though is that even though Geno was one of the top requests for Brawl, he still wasn't included in 3DS/Wii U. You would think that someone with that high a fan request would have had a better chance for placement in the upcoming installment. And if the Japanese pie chart is true, Geno hasn't been requested nearly as much as a character like King K. Rool, who not only is more recognizable of a character, but also has indisputable ownership by Nintendo. Plus, if past history has taught us anything, it is that Nintendo tends to take favoritism over what the Japanese fans request over the rest of the world. I definitely believe that we can get enough votes in to get Geno recognizable as a candidate, but it is going to be an uphill battle when compared to some of these other characters in the running.

On a side note, I was just wondering something. Has it been confirmed indefinitely that only one additional DLC character would be picked from this poll? If Nintendo DOES decide to go in the direction of selling costumes and characters as paid DLC, who is to say that Mewtwo, Lucas, and this mystery third fighter are going to be the only ones selected. Even if it does get announced months from now that someone like K. Rool was the most requested and popular fighter, that does not necessarily mean that they will not also make the second and third most requested characters playable too. All I am saying is that we should not give up on this, even if it initially looks like we might fail. Never lose hope.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Almost done designing the Geno for my animation. I decided to change him up some.

Hopefully I can post it tonight sometime after work, but it probably will be tomorrow

Once he's redesigned I can start on it

Last edited:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
The one thing that does concern me though is that even though Geno was one of the top requests for Brawl, he still wasn't included in 3DS/Wii U. You would think that someone with that high a fan request would have had a better chance for placement in the upcoming installment. And if the Japanese pie chart is true, Geno hasn't been requested nearly as much as a character like King K. Rool, who not only is more recognizable of a character, but also has indisputable ownership by Nintendo. Plus, if past history has taught us anything, it is that Nintendo tends to take favoritism over what the Japanese fans request over the rest of the world. I definitely believe that we can get enough votes in to get Geno recognizable as a candidate, but it is going to be an uphill battle when compared to some of these other characters in the running.

On a side note, I was just wondering something. Has it been confirmed indefinitely that only one additional DLC character would be picked from this poll? If Nintendo DOES decide to go in the direction of selling costumes and characters as paid DLC, who is to say that Mewtwo, Lucas, and this mystery third fighter are going to be the only ones selected. Even if it does get announced months from now that someone like K. Rool was the most requested and popular fighter, that does not necessarily mean that they will not also make the second and third most requested characters playable too. All I am saying is that we should not give up on this, even if it initially looks like we might fail. Never lose hope.
there is only five open slots for the 3ds meaning only five new characters can happen since Mewtwo and Lucas have taken two it means maybe three chances

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

On a side note, I was just wondering something. Has it been confirmed indefinitely that only one additional DLC character would be picked from this poll?.
He didn't say "just one", he said their wouldn't be too many. Probably five max, three minimum with at least being another cut veteran. I'm guessing this because the poll is being kept open until October and I will be genuinely surprised if someone else isn't announced at E3. This being said, we will probably be seeing new DLC characters until early next year.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
If Geno is announced at E3 it would make every person in the world explode I think XD (Some of happyness and joy, some of rage, some simply will refuse to believe... it would be an incredible event!).
I think that at E3 they will announce a big name, so someone like K Rool or Geno. Geno because it's still one of the most requested, despite the copyright issue and everything else... people still want him!
He was THE most requested character with Brawl, he's still one of the most requested in this Smash, so if copyright is not an issue anymore, he has lots of chances now, things are changed now that it's up to fans!

EDIT: I would love to do some Rosalina VS Geno matches!

Last edited:

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380

If we Believe we can Achieve!!!!!!

TailsFan92

Smash Cadet
sorry for double posting guys but i have news! inti creates is pushing gunvolt to be in smash as well.
I find it really cool how the Smash Bros. Ballot has gotten so big that even Developers are campaigning to get their own IPs into the game. First Phil Spencer from Microsoft with Banjo-Kazooie and now Inti Creates with Gunvolt. In some ways this character sort of reminds me of Geno since he is a character with a cool design but very little recognition in the public eye. From what I could gather, his only game was only available on the eshop and is less than a year old. Although it is cool that Inti Creates is officially backing him up to be in the game, we need to remember that it is the iconic characters that almost everyone knows that usually get selected. Realistically, if the game might only have 3-5 extra characters max, the chances of Gunvolt being in the game are very slim, unless Nintendo decides to also make assist trophy DLC as well.

Hey now there is an idea! Nintendo should also have Assist trophy DLC that they could sell for $2 a piece. That way more fans can be satisfied that their characters are put in the game without having to make full fledged playable models for each of them.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Don't you think you guys are overreaching a bit? I mean going from a one shot character in a (albeit excellent and the best) Mario RPG to Smash would be a bit of a jump.

Have you ever considered trying to get Geno into Mario Kart first? Small change is the best change, I always say.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
Don't you think you guys are overreaching a bit? I mean going from a one shot character in a (albeit excellent and the best) Mario RPG to Smash would be a bit of a jump.

Have you ever considered trying to get Geno into Mario Kart first? Small change is the best change, I always say.
but thats how characters get revived! smash bros is known for that sort of thing. just look at roy from fire emblem, he came into smash without having a game yet. geno could do the same if we try hard enough.

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros

Same could be said about Lucas, Ice climbers, Roy, Marth, WFT, Shulk, anyone who had one game. Literally not a factor. People still want them, sooo.
The only reason people are ok with them or think their situations different is because they were grandfathered in. Things are always easier in hindsight. When Geno gets in, people will just think the same thing about him

Last edited:

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
Oh! AlphaOmegaSin, a very thoughtful Youtube Game "philosopher"/ Vlogger with a decent following (300+ thousand subscribes) has just stated he wants Geno in Above any other characters. (And bayonetta. F yeah!)

Steelia

Smash Champion

The best would've been Geno showing up in a game any time between Super Mario RPG (or at least, Superstar Saga) to today. But alas. Poor dudes like K. Rool suffer the same cruel fate, being popular among fans but being left to rot for some reason or another.

This revival of interest in Geno isn't just to get him into Smash - it's to send a message that we also want to see him in other media, too. With this poll open, it's the absolute best time to get that across to the higher ups. Even if he doesn't make it, his (hopefully) high ranking in this poll could be used to fuel future endeavors in other projects.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Geno fanbase has actively been doing stuff since 2001. This ground has been touched on a number of times. Mario Kart, Mario Party, the Mario sports games, cameos in the other Mario RPGs, a true sequel to SMRPG, etc. His fans have pushed for him to appear in more than Smash over the years.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh! AlphaOmegaSin, a very thoughtful Youtube Game "philosopher"/ Vlogger with a decent following (300+ thousand subscribes) has just stated he wants Geno in Above any other characters. (And bayonetta. F yeah!)
I just saw that

hopefully this helps spread the word of Geno

Top Bottom