• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
With all this talk about hyping responsibly, I think we should change the tired old phrase and quote the greatest philosopher of our time: 'Reality is often disappointing.'
"Perfectly balanced, as all things should be. But too much to one side, or the other..."

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I wanna see some evolved forms for the new Pokemon Sword and Shield starters. That way I know which ugly ducklings will grow into an ugly duck. Also, armor evolution sounds pretty hot. I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about it.

I also wouldn't mind if Nintendo totally outdid themselves and gave the switch UI another background color or two. I know how intensive that can be, but maybe if we burn incense to the right gods, Nintendo will hook us up.
About time the Switch get a "Gray theme".
Or , even more insane...

FOLDERS.

But yeah , this home menu is kind of a mess.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Expecting:
Erdrick for Smash + Geno's Mii costume returning
Possible 3rd character reveal, probably not one that I'm hoping for
AC news (also hoping for this, but it's kind of a given at this point)
Mostly other stuff I don't really care much for

Hoping for:
Return of Amiibo costumes for Super Mario Maker 2
Bayonetta 3 news
Geno for Smash (lol as if)
Banjo for Smash (small chance, at least?)
Rare Replay on Switch
New Mario & Luigi game collaboration with Square Enix (with my boys Geno and Mallow, again, lol as if)
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 ports for the Switch
Super Mario Odyssey 2
These are my predictions + what I'm hoping for. I think the most likely thing is something Odyssey-related, whether it's a sequel or just a large DLC pack a la Octo Expansion in Spla2n. There's also Rare Replay, which has already been rumored, something I'm super crossing my fingers for.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
What will you do if Erdrick gets in but Geno's Mii costume is absent?

Do you give up hope then and there or does it make you believe he has a chance to get in at a later date?

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Do you give up hope then and there or does it make you believe he has a chance to get in at a later date?
I will be unsure if this gives me hope for Geno's future in Smash... or if it makes me worry that we won't get Geno playable or our facsimile. I'd be torn. Then again, while I think his costume would deconfirm him for the Fighter's Pass, I don't think it means he's out of the question for future DLC.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I would expect a Fighter Pass 2. There's zero reason to withhold Geno's Costume.

D

Deleted member

Summer break's just 3 days away for me.

Now, I think I may have seen something like this before, but Geno sitting on the beach in Seaside Town would make for some pretty cool art.

D

Deleted member

In SMRPG, you can jump 100 times in a row, so it's a magic attack of which you control how long it goes on, and you get a prizes for jumping 30 and 100 times in a row.

In an SMRPG remake, I think it would be cool if they changed Mario's super flame to be like this (and changing the move to having to time it correctly to continue) - for you to be able to throw as many fireballs as you can, and get prizes for throwing a certain number of fireballs, timing it correctly.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
In SMRPG, you can jump 100 times in a row, so it's a magic attack of which you control how long it goes on, and you get a prizes for jumping 30 and 100 times in a row.

In an SMRPG remake, I think it would be cool if they changed Mario's super flame to be like this (and changing the move to having to time it correctly to continue) - for you to be able to throw as many fireballs as you can, and get prizes for throwing a certain number of fireballs, timing it correctly.
Getting the Super Suit (100 jumps) was one of the most rewarding video game accomplishments for me personally.

Had to give it to our boy of course.

In a remake, I'd like to be able to use everyone in the party at once. I tend to have a hard time switching off the Mario/Geno/Bowser trio and I'd love to get to use them all. Of course as a trade off they could make enemies more difficult and appear in higher quantities.

Or they could even keep it at 3 and add a switch mechanic like some RPGs have (notably Golden Sun) to let you switch someone out as long as they're not KO'd. All 5 characters are so much fun that it's a shame that some go underrused, especially with the love they put into making them all have diverse weapons with unique timed hit options

Firox

Smash Master

If Erdrick gets in WITHOUT Geno's Mii costume, I'm still gonna hold out. His costume being absent would actually make me have even MORE confidence that he'll get in with a future DLC pack. However, if Erdrick gets dropped along with the costume, I'll have no choice but to check out until maybe Smash 6, but even so, it'll have said volumes about Nintendo's/Sakurai's/SE's attitude toward putting Geno in.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If Erdrick gets in WITHOUT Geno's Mii costume, I'm still gonna hold out. His costume being absent would actually make me have even MORE confidence that he'll get in with a future DLC pack. However, if Erdrick gets dropped along with the costume, I'll have no choice but to check out until maybe Smash 6, but even so, it'll have said volumes about Nintendo's/Sakurai's/SE's attitude toward putting Geno in.
I really don't think it's as simple as that. Remember that a lot goes into choosing and making fighters, and for all we know, his costume returning doesn't mean his chances are shot. It'd deconfirm him for the Fighter's Pass, yes, but if they plan further DLC down the line, who knows? His costume being re-released could always be a consolation prize because another Square rep took priority this time, meaning the doors could open again for Geno in the future. It's kind of like a, "Here, he didn't make it to the pass, but have this costume for now to tide you over," sort of thing. I don't see why they'd say no to adding a character just because of their Mii costume being present from a prior DLC season.

Trust me, if Sakurai had the ability to add Geno, I'm sure he would... but there are multiple hoops to go through first. Just because another rep took priority this time doesn't mean that he can't take priority in the future. It's not that Nintendo and Square are deliberately trying to say 'screw you' to us. If they could add every fan request, they would. It's just not feasible. They don't have infinite money and manpower.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I really don't think it's as simple as that. Remember that a lot goes into choosing and making fighters, and for all we know, his costume returning doesn't mean his chances are shot. It'd deconfirm him for the Fighter's Pass, yes, but if they plan further DLC down the line, who knows? His costume being re-released could always be a consolation prize because another Square rep took priority this time, meaning the doors could open again for Geno in the future. It's kind of like a, "Here, he didn't make it to the pass, but have this costume for now to tide you over," sort of thing. I don't see why they'd say no to adding a character just because of their Mii costume being present from a prior DLC season.

Trust me, if Sakurai had the ability to add Geno, I'm sure he would... but there are multiple hoops to go through first. Just because another rep took priority this time doesn't mean that he can't take priority in the future. It's not that Nintendo and Square are deliberately trying to say 'screw you' to us. If they could add every fan request, they would. It's just not feasible. They don't have infinite money and manpower.
I'm not saying that Nintendo or Square are deliberately saying "screw you". There is always the possibility that Geno could come in future passes even with the costume being dropped. I'm just saying that I personally will have given up on him getting into this particular iteration if that's the case. That said, if he doesn't get into this game even with possibly two more sets of 5 DLC, then my expectations for him EVER getting in will have taken a heavy blow. Why? Firstly, this is arguably the most complete roster we will ever see. Sakurai himself admitted that the amount of work (not to mention acquiring the rights) for all the characters is insane and will be incredibly difficult to repeat with interest in the future. We MIGHT be able to get Geno eventually, but who would we lose in exchange? (Just blind speculation there, take with a grain of salt) Second, the further we get from the original advent of SMRPG, the less likely I imagine we'd see a sequal/reboot or tribute in the form of Geno in smash. That doesn't mean Sakurai (or his possible replacement) can't reach into the past and yank him out like G&W and the like, but I wonder how much relevance Nintendo will give the franchise after so much time. It's hard to tell given that they still included spirits in smash, but then again, it really feels like they have no intention of giving SMRPG the priority it deserves.

I'm just trying to read the tea leaves here, but at the end of the day I wish we could see at least SOME KIND of confirmation by Nintendo that they give a damn one way or the other. We'll just have to wait for the next round or two of DLC before we can make any semblance of a pattern.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm not saying that Nintendo or Square are deliberately saying "screw you". There is always the possibility that Geno could come in future passes even with the costume being dropped. I'm just saying that I personally will have given up on him getting into this particular iteration if that's the case. That said, if he doesn't get into this game even with possibly two more sets of 5 DLC, then my expectations for him EVER getting in will have taken a heavy blow. Why? Firstly, this is arguably the most complete roster we will ever see. Sakurai himself admitted that the amount of work (not to mention acquiring the rights) for all the characters is insane and will be incredibly difficult to repeat with interest in the future. We MIGHT be able to get Geno eventually, but who would we lose in exchange? (Just blind speculation there, take with a grain of salt) Second, the further we get from the original advent of SMRPG, the less likely I imagine we'd see a sequal/reboot or tribute in the form of Geno in smash. That doesn't mean Sakurai (or his possible replacement) can't reach into the past and yank him out like G&W and the like, but I wonder how much relevance Nintendo will give the franchise after so much time. It's hard to tell given that they still included spirits in smash, but then again, it really feels like they have no intention of giving SMRPG the priority it deserves.

I'm just trying to read the tea leaves here, but at the end of the day I wish we could see at least SOME KIND of confirmation by Nintendo that they give a damn one way or the other. We'll just have to wait for the next round or two of DLC before we can make any semblance of a pattern.
Ah, yeah, fair enough. I agree with your points, too. If he didn't get in with a possible DLC set of 15 total characters, that'd be extremely telling... not to mention depressing.

Nintendo just needs to be merciful already. If his chances need to be taken out the back and shot, just do it already. :(

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Ah, yeah, fair enough. I agree with your points, too. If he didn't get in with a possible DLC set of 15 total characters, that'd be extremely telling... not to mention depressing.

Nintendo just needs to be merciful already. If his chances need to be taken out the back and shot, just do it already. :(
If that happened, I'd genuinely wonder what the hell happened at Nintendo Headquarters that made them decide Geno wasn't worthy. Was it his moveset? Would they really have viewed him as irrelevant and decided his popularity didn't matter despite all of the evidence we have to the contrary? Yeesh. That would open a can of worms and bring up questions I hope never have to be asked.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Well, not like Nintendo has a lot of control here. They can't do anything beyond a request to use him. It's solely on SE.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, not like Nintendo has a lot of control here. They can't do anything beyond a request to use him. It's solely on SE.
Oh yes, I know, but it's more like, "Hey, if SE isn't going to let you use him or you just never want to, just take old yeller out the back and get it done." Just rip the bandage off. In fact, I was just about to bring up that exact point here:

If that happened, I'd genuinely wonder what the hell happened at Nintendo Headquarters that made them decide Geno wasn't worthy. Was it his moveset? Would they really have viewed him as irrelevant and decided his popularity didn't matter despite all of the evidence we have to the contrary? Yeesh. That would open a can of worms and bring up questions I hope never have to be asked.
I doubt that it's Nintendo's fault entirely. Sure, in the end, if they want a character, they'll try their best to get it, but SE owns Geno. His being a third party alone means Nintendo has to go even further out of their way, and the fact that he's owned by one of the stingiest third parties known to man makes it that much worse. It's kind of a matter of both here, but especially Square. It all goes back to Square because Geno, in the end, is theirs. If he was a first party, I'm sure it'd all be so much different.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Another thing about the Sports games is that the rosters aren't taken anywhere near as seriously as something like Smash. Geno is likely pricey as is. This means any use of him has to be worthwhile for Nintendo to go with. While they probably think he's be worth it alone, they also know he's a bit risky as is. He's obscure in many areas still. He'd be nice on a base Mario Kart roster, but they have to be sure that's worth the money too alone. This is probably why he's not in the remake of Superstar Saga. They didn't want to spend extra cash for a small part. Mario Kart's design has tons of characters. He's not exactly going to be a super big deal for that kind of game. Sure, characters are important, but this isn't like Smash either. I think he has a decent chance of getting in Kart compared to other sports games where the rosters are taken even less seriously than Kart, though.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Another thing I thought of when it comes to Square and representation...

Erdrick might actually help Geno get into Smash in the future.

I know, you're probably thinking, "Uh, literally what?" Hear me out. Square Enix is known for wanting to make big bank off of their crossovers. Nintendo of Japan, as anyone in Japan does, loves DQ. Erdrick has all the cards laid out for him, so Nintendo decides that he's their rep... but they haven't forgotten about Geno. He doesn't make it in the pass, and his costume comes back. This leaves them with this scenario for possible future plans:

1) His costume is back and will sell again, showing Square that he is profitable,
2) Square already has their huge, monumental crossover character in as DLC to make them their big bucks + make up for Cloud being in the base, and,
3) Nintendo has already negotiated for Geno's rights for Ultimate, placing him partway into the door.

Trying to convince Square to add Geno beyond just his spirit and costume would be tough because they want good profit and promotion. However, Erdrick being in would already be that obstacle cleared for future DLC waves or misc. DLC. It may make things a little easier when it comes to getting him in, maybe making them a little more pliable to twist their arms, so to speak. After getting their big monetary share, maybe, just maybe, they'll consider allowing our boy to be in.

Firox

Smash Master

I know, you're probably thinking, "Uh, literally what?" Hear me out. Square Enix is known for wanting to make big bank off of their crossovers. Nintendo of Japan, as anyone in Japan does, loves DQ. Erdrick has all the cards laid out for him, so Nintendo decides that he's their rep... but they haven't forgotten about Geno. He doesn't make it in the pass, and his costume comes back. This leaves them with this scenario for possible future plans:

1) His costume is back and will sell again, showing Square that he is profitable,
2) Square already has their huge, monumental crossover character in as DLC to make them their big bucks + make up for Cloud being in the base, and,
3) Nintendo has already negotiated for Geno's rights for Ultimate, placing him partway into the door.

Trying to convince Square to add Geno beyond just his spirit and costume would be tough because they want good profit and promotion. However, Erdrick being in would already be that obstacle cleared for future DLC waves or misc. DLC. It may make things a little easier when it comes to getting him in, maybe making them a little more pliable to twist their arms, so to speak. After getting their big monetary share, maybe, just maybe, they'll consider allowing our boy to be in.
Gosh dang it! I wasn't really planning to buy Erdrick if he gets in, but you just made the best case for supporting him. If SE sees how profitable it can be to push smash bros representation, that could actually be our best bet of getting Geno in. All that would remain is for Nintendo and Sakurai to seal the deal...assuming they WANT to.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace

Ehh. That's what everyone said about Cloud, and look where we are.

I just want to see what's going to happen at E3 at this point.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

That's for Smash 4, though, and that was at the end of its life cycle. Ultimate is an entirely different beast, and so far, Square's had nothing cross-promotional to profit from it yet.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

The main difference here is, the Switch is way more successful than the Wii U. As SSBU is way more Successful than Smash 4. Here it's likely to make a bigger impact.

Firox

Smash Master

lol Aaaaaand I'm torn again. Well played. From the optimistic side, Erdrick could be the herald of Geno's advent. From the more realistic side, SE could just be their usual stingy selves and just take the money and run. Who knows? Maybe they'll give us FOUR tracks this time! :rotfl:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
That's for Smash 4, though, and that was at the end of its life cycle. Ultimate is an entirely different beast, and so far, Square's had nothing cross-promotional to profit from it yet.
Here's to hoping, at any rate. I'm obviously not giving up hope that Geno will make DLC -- it's just, I guess I'm just in a cranky mood today. :( Don't mind me.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Here's to hoping, at any rate. I'm obviously not giving up hope that Geno will make DLC -- it's just, I guess I'm just in a cranky mood today. :( Don't mind me.
It's alright, pal. We've all had our dour moments here. God knows I've had plenty. Let's try to keep our chins up, though, aye?

MattX20

Smash Hero

That's if he actually turns out to be true. I'm of the mind that given Square's history, I can't trust anything regarding the Erdrick leaks as they have jebaited leakers numerous times before, and given that Nintendo themselves have done so recently with Star Fox Grand Prix being an industry hoax, it's harder to take certain other leakers seriously when they got significant information wrong. I want solid proof of concept that Erdrick is indeed our Square rep.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That's if he actually turns out to be true. I'm of the mind that given Square's history, I can't trust anything regarding the Erdrick leaks as they have jebaited leakers numerous times before, and given that Nintendo themselves have done so recently with Star Fox Grand Prix being an industry hoax. I want solid proof of concept that Erdrick is indeed our Square rep.
Well, that could also apply to any other big, cross-promotional rep that isn't Erdrick, really. I mainly used him as an example because I think he's likely. It's all still a hypothetical 'if.'

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's if he actually turns out to be true. I'm of the mind that given Square's history, I can't trust anything regarding the Erdrick leaks as they have jebaited leakers numerous times before, and given that Nintendo themselves have done so recently with Star Fox Grand Prix being an industry hoax, it's harder to take certain other leakers seriously when they got significant information wrong. I want solid proof of concept that Erdrick is indeed our Square rep.
Where was it confirmed that Nintendo created the hoax for Star Fox Grand Prix?

It's believable, but that doesn't make it true.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Where was it confirmed that Nintendo created the hoax for Star Fox Grand Prix?

It's believable, but that doesn't make it true.
It was spread around through the rumor mill for a while that a Star Fox racing game was in the works, and that was proven false by the most recent Direct in February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom