• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
People just call the P3 protag Door-kun. It's much easier that way.

By the way, how far are you into your P5 walkthrough right now?
I'd actually taken a break from it due to being busy with multiple graphics projects + commissions. That said, I JUST got to see
Kamoshida groveling pathetically after getting his precious stolen
so I'm only just now getting back on it. I'm so in love with the game, though. Definitely playing it if it comes to the Switch (which it hopefully is, thanks Best Buy).

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
You know, when actually was that stated? Was it before or after Geno's Mii Costume?
Sakurai getting a vifam figure for a future project was announced way after the Geno Mii costume came out, like late 2016/early 2017. So pretty much about a year or so later, and don't forget that Sakurai started Ultimate's development in February 2016, 10+ months before the vifam figure.
Cut out the Fast Travel parts of Mario RPG and make the overworld sections of the game feel more like a 3D World. Go for that Mario feel again.

Provide more side quests with even more characters. Like do a Side Quest for the likes of Gaz, Dyna or the Chancellor. Mario RPG had great content but it can easily have a ton of extra things to do added on top of it.
Similar to an overworld like Final Fantasy?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
In recent memory Mortal Kombat X showed off the first Kombat Pack in its entirety prior to release. I2 revealed the first 3 characters and then had silhouettes for the rest. Some were easier to identify than others. SFV showed off the entire season worth of content for Season 3. Those are just off the top of my head. And yeah it's not the entire thing for some of them but it's at least something.

I think the argument that a character shouldn't be announced because you may not click with their playstyle is incredibly weak. Yeah it'd be nice to know what movesets are in place. But I think it's interesting that you're stating some hypothetical where Sakurai absolutely butchers a character like Geno into making him a swordie but in your own reasoning as to why you bought the pass you stated your own trust in Sakurai to be able to deliver faithful and fun to play characters. But regardless of that there's a difference between having knowledge of what you're purchasing and having an opinion of the level of quality of said thing. One thing is objective and the other is subjective. Knowing Geno, a character someone would like vs. dislike is in a pack would be objective. Feeling like Geno isn't done the way you think would be best is subjective. I don't think people's subjective opinions are a good reason to withhold objective information in the slightest.

IMO heavily suggesting people make a blind purchase on content for an altogether reduced price and hiding behind the defense of "Only buy it if you're confident we can do a good job :3' when they could easily give that information is scummy. Trying to convince people to purchase something that may be against their own interests is predatory.

I'm also really confused as to what you mean by games that reveal their DLC to be the "scummiest" in comparison to this situation. Like, you have to live on Bizarro World to think that what Nintendo is doing is somehow less scummy than NRS revealing each character in a kombat pack prior to launch.
I remembered Mortal Kombat having announcements, but they may have announced more up front than I remember. And I'll get to Street Fighter in a bit.

I make the moveset point to demonstrate that even with a character's name, you are still not an entirely informed consumer. My point of view is a trust in Sakurai at this point, hence why I bought the Pass. But you're saying that you want to be informed and I contest that buying a character while not knowing how they function or what specific content they come with isn't that far removed from just not knowing the character. The only difference is the name of the characters being known before hand. To be fair, if that's what you personally need to consider yourself "informed," then that's your take. I consider myself informed enough at being told what I'm getting in the form of five unique newcomers. Now, to also be fair, I've clearly positioned myself as someone interested in unique move sets, so that helps influence my choice. And I think to some degree that might be a basis for part of this argument. While there are characters I support more than others, I don't assign the same major differences in value to newcomers I support directly and those I don't. And that's not to criticize anyone who does just to be clear. And the only real objectivity that comes into the situation is whether or not the character functions as intended and isn't broken. That's the level of quality argument there, and that's completely objective. What is subjective is whether or not you like them and that applies to a named character as well. It may be fact that you like or dislike certain characters, but that's a personal objective stance that is just subjective at the end of the day. It's all just kind of subjective by nature of being content in video game and there not really being metrics of objectivity with regards to the game.

I just don't agree that it's scummy. It's just a business practice meant to give people an option. There are some areas where I believe the power dynamics of consumerism mean that you can't make your own, informed choice. But in an entertainment industry I do think there needs to be more personal accountability of what you purchase and why since it's all non-essential. I don't even get a sense of "heavily suggesting" from Nintendo, just regular old advertisement of it when relevant. There's some degree of an argument for showing them off as part of the moral highground, but I also just don't agree and don't see the issue with waiting. The Fighter's Pass isn't going anywhere, they're not doing anything to give incentive to buy the pass NOW. And the characters are all individually available and will be so. And I've clearly stated why I disagree that character names should be enough "information" if you're going the well and truly informed consumer route.

And oh boy! I get to talk about the ****ty practices of the game industry.

Back to Street Fighter V, it launched with 16 characters, and barely any features. Here's a wonderful article to highlight that game: (https://kotaku.com/street-fighter-vs-launch-sure-has-been-a-bummer-1760146427). Mario Tennis Aces, Splatoon 2, and ARMS may have all launched with less content than they should have for example, but they still released better than Street Fighter V and all of their content was given away for free with the sole exception of the major expansion pack of the Octoling DLC last year.

Call of Duty Black Ops 4 might be the single most predatory game in existence. The game has buyable tiers for it's version of the "Battle Pass," includes massive "micro"-transactions to buy cosmetic DLC and additional weapons including a $28 value that just mainly gives you a hammer and some random loot-boxes (https://gamingbolt.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-adds-a-28-hammer), and a $50 Season Pass. Mind you, they announced at launch that the Season Pass' contents would not be available separately and the only way to access the content of the season pass would be to buy the entire thing (https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/13/17447600/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-dlc-season-pass-price).

Do I even need to say anything about the likes of a game like Fallout 76?

And I mean lootboxes in general Nintendo has stepped into with their full price games. The free mobile ****, yeah and the model is at least justifiable there. But they're full release titles haven't gotten to the point of lootboxes being stuffed into tons of their games and there aren't pay to win models in those games. Nintendo has still been committed to bringing us full experiences for the most part and generally doing a good job of making up for games that lack content with free post-release DLCs. The most egregious example I can think of in recent memory of a poorly produced and content light game was Super Mario Party. But that's more of the exception rather than the rule.

Nintendo does lots of little ****ty things and does have predatory business practices. The Online is a big issue and forcing cloud saves exclusively behind a paywall is ****ty. They occasionally get too trigger happy with DLCs (I think Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia had like $45 of DLC versus the $40 total of the game). Lots of issues, sure. But they also could be so, so very much worse than they are. The developers seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for games still and they pretty much never launch a genuinely broken product, and in the few instances where they have, they've generally been able to stabilize things pretty quickly (Usually Smash online lol). You also have things like Iwata taking a paycut during the Wii U era to deal with lower revenue and so on. Nintendo hasn't completely devolved into the truly grotesque game company arena yet.

D

Deleted member

I'd like if Mario actually gets dialogue in an SMRPG remake or sequel, lol.

Heck, maybe in potential remakes of any older Nintendo (or Square Enix) RPGs, they can give the protagonist dialogue.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Heck, maybe in potential remakes of any older Nintendo (or Square Enix) RPGs, they can give the protagonist dialogue.
I was about to say nah, probably not, but then I remembered that they gave literally EVERYONE dialogue in Fortune Street, so...

It's unlikely, but oddly not out of the question?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I remembered Mortal Kombat having announcements, but they may have announced more up front than I remember. And I'll get to Street Fighter in a bit.

I make the moveset point to demonstrate that even with a character's name, you are still not an entirely informed consumer. My point of view is a trust in Sakurai at this point, hence why I bought the Pass. But you're saying that you want to be informed and I contest that buying a character while not knowing how they function or what specific content they come with isn't that far removed from just not knowing the character. The only difference is the name of the characters being known before hand. To be fair, if that's what you personally need to consider yourself "informed," then that's your take. I consider myself informed enough at being told what I'm getting in the form of five unique newcomers. Now, to also be fair, I've clearly positioned myself as someone interested in unique move sets, so that helps influence my choice. And I think to some degree that might be a basis for part of this argument. While there are characters I support more than others, I don't assign the same major differences in value to newcomers I support directly and those I don't. And that's not to criticize anyone who does just to be clear. And the only real objectivity that comes into the situation is whether or not the character functions as intended and isn't broken. That's the level of quality argument there, and that's completely objective. What is subjective is whether or not you like them and that applies to a named character as well. It may be fact that you like or dislike certain characters, but that's a personal objective stance that is just subjective at the end of the day. It's all just kind of subjective by nature of being content in video game and there not really being metrics of objectivity with regards to the game.

I just don't agree that it's scummy. It's just a business practice meant to give people an option. There are some areas where I believe the power dynamics of consumerism mean that you can't make your own, informed choice. But in an entertainment industry I do think there needs to be more personal accountability of what you purchase and why since it's all non-essential. I don't even get a sense of "heavily suggesting" from Nintendo, just regular old advertisement of it when relevant. There's some degree of an argument for showing them off as part of the moral highground, but I also just don't agree and don't see the issue with waiting. The Fighter's Pass isn't going anywhere, they're not doing anything to give incentive to buy the pass NOW. And the characters are all individually available and will be so. And I've clearly stated why I disagree that character names should be enough "information" if you're going the well and truly informed consumer route.

And oh boy! I get to talk about the ****ty practices of the game industry.

Back to Street Fighter V, it launched with 16 characters, and barely any features. Here's a wonderful article to highlight that game: (https://kotaku.com/street-fighter-vs-launch-sure-has-been-a-bummer-1760146427). Mario Tennis Aces, Splatoon 2, and ARMS may have all launched with less content than they should have for example, but they still released better than Street Fighter V and all of their content was given away for free with the sole exception of the major expansion pack of the Octoling DLC last year.

Call of Duty Black Ops 4 might be the single most predatory game in existence. The game has buyable tiers for it's version of the "Battle Pass," includes massive "micro"-transactions to buy cosmetic DLC and additional weapons including a $28 value that just mainly gives you a hammer and some random loot-boxes (https://gamingbolt.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-adds-a-28-hammer), and a $50 Season Pass. Mind you, they announced at launch that the Season Pass' contents would not be available separately and the only way to access the content of the season pass would be to buy the entire thing (https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/13/17447600/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-dlc-season-pass-price).

Do I even need to say anything about the likes of a game like Fallout 76?

And I mean lootboxes in general Nintendo has stepped into with their full price games. The free mobile ****, yeah and the model is at least justifiable there. But they're full release titles haven't gotten to the point of lootboxes being stuffed into tons of their games and there aren't pay to win models in those games. Nintendo has still been committed to bringing us full experiences for the most part and generally doing a good job of making up for games that lack content with free post-release DLCs. The most egregious example I can think of in recent memory of a poorly produced and content light game was Super Mario Party. But that's more of the exception rather than the rule.

Nintendo does lots of little ****ty things and does have predatory business practices. The Online is a big issue and forcing cloud saves exclusively behind a paywall is ****ty. They occasionally get too trigger happy with DLCs (I think Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia had like $45 of DLC versus the $40 total of the game). Lots of issues, sure. But they also could be so, so very much worse than they are. The developers seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for games still and they pretty much never launch a genuinely broken product, and in the few instances where they have, they've generally been able to stabilize things pretty quickly (Usually Smash online lol). You also have things like Iwata taking a paycut during the Wii U era to deal with lower revenue and so on. Nintendo hasn't completely devolved into the truly grotesque game company arena yet.
I don't think anybody's arguing that Nintendo's done anything close to being as bad as those examples (one of the reasons I gravitate towards Nintendo is because they're one of the best in the industry in regards to business practices). That doesn't excuse them from whatever little predatory behavior they engage in. It's only natural that their audience, which isn't used to that kind of practice, would be more adverse to it.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't think anybody's arguing that Nintendo's done anything close to being as bad as those examples (one of the reasons I gravitate towards Nintendo is because they're one of the best in the industry in regards to business practices). That doesn't excuse them from whatever little predatory behavior they engage in. It's only natural that their audience, which isn't used to that kind of practice, would be more adverse to it.
Again, I'm not saying to excuse them. I just think the whole not revealing all the characters up front and still selling the Fighter's Pass doesn't seem that problematic to me and that being "informed" varies depending on the individual as to what constitutes acceptable information up front as well. The decisions just make sense to me and this specific one doesn't really feel predatory as much as it feels like an intentional decision to reveal when appropriate and generate hype at different times as opposed to all at once. And I just don't see an issue with giving the consumer choice in the matter and having them save a little money along the way.

I'm just also cynically used to how much worse things are in other parts of the industry that this feels like a complete non-issue.

Edit: I'm also influenced by the fact that Ultimate feels like the complete antithesis to everything else going on in the industry. A lesser developer would have given us 20-30 characters and sold us seasons upon seasons of veteran content with a sprinkle of new ones and probably not have included anything beyond Classic and a handful of stages. Maybe that's also why I'm a little more willing to forgive not showing all the content up front. It's a frustrating reality where doing something decent can be applauded, but that's the **** one we live in with regards to major AAA gaming.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Let me give my take on the Fighter's Pass debate. I understand where both sides are coming from, but in my opinion, I'd rather have things stay the way they are now instead of revealing all of the characters at once. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have the Newcomer Speculation forum not die, because knowing all of the DLC characters would 100% do that. There'd be no point in speculating about other characters, and there'd be no guarantee of more DLC unless Nintendo announced it (which they haven't even yet). There'd be no hype reveals, meaning there'd be no fun. If you weren't lucky enough to have one of your favorite characters on the Pass, you'd be ****ed there'd be nothing for you to discuss period. Revealing all of the characters would literally make everything boring and as much as some of us moan and groan about not knowing information, I still think it's a lot of fun to speculate, and the fact that nobody knows what is going to happen makes it feel like we're kinda all in this together, and that's a nice feeling.

I'm honestly excited about more Mii costumes, especially if they're based on characters that represent the companies/franchises in the Fighter Pass. I think the Microsoft one will probably be a crowd pleaser. Banjo would be an awkward Mii costume but Mumbo, Gruntilda, Steve, Master Chief, Conker, Cuphead, the Battletoads, etc would all be great picks. Namco and Square have a lot of great picks too and, of course, they have costumes from Smash 4 that can return.
At first the thought of a Conker Mii costume bothered me, but now I actually wouldn't mind it at all. I want Conker to have some form of representation in Ultimate, and I really don't care what representation it is. I want Conker to have more international exposure, because if he's gonna have a chance of getting in, he definitely needs to be more well known in the PAL region.

On the topic of a SMRPG, I agree with the idea @Zack E. proposed a few pages ago about having separate FP for each character. In my opinion it would just make the battling system a lot less tedious. Not only would it make it easier to unleash a barrage of powerful attacks on a boss, but it could allow for more strategic combat. For example, Mario and Geno would attack while Mallow used his magic to heal, or any other type of defensive move.

I'd also like to get rid of the weird overhead camera angle. I'm not sure what other people think of that and I don't really know why I have such a big issue with it, but in some areas the camera angle is just... bad. Along with the graphics, the camera just hasn't aged too well in my opinion.

And if I could add one more thing, it would definitely be an updated world map. When I first played SMRPG the map was confusing for me to use and it took me a little bit to figure it out. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I remember being stuck at the beginning of the game because I couldn't figure out how the hell it worked.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

I'm used to Mario and Luigi speaking gibberish without dialogue, but giving them text would be nice since it gives him more personality.

I was thinking there should be a total of seven party members. Five is a nice number of party members, but having seven would make more sense since it goes with the number of star pieces and the title of the game. The Legend of the Seven Stars can give multiple meanings, like the story of the seven star pieces or the story of the seven heroes that saved the world from Smithy.

If I were to choose two more party members for a remake, I think they should be optional characters. Final Fantasy VII had two optional partners, Yuffie and Vincent, so being developed by the same people, I don't see why SMRPG can't have optional partners either. I think the two new party members, the optional party members, should be Luigi and Jinx. Luigi should appear in the Mushroom Kingdom after beating Punchinello, and since Jinx is an optional boss, defeating him after all three rounds should give you the option of wanting to ask Jinx to join the crew. Luigi's stats can be a little bit the same as Mario's, but I think he should have higher magic attack and less regular attack compared to Mario's. Jinx's attacks can be made into a playable character, maybe having the stats of a fragile speedster?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Let me give my take on the Fighter's Pass debate. I understand where both sides are coming from, but in my opinion, I'd rather have things stay the way they are now instead of revealing all of the characters at once. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have the Newcomer Speculation forum not die, because knowing all of the DLC characters would 100% do that. There'd be no point in speculating about other characters, and there'd be no guarantee of more DLC unless Nintendo announced it (which they haven't even yet). There'd be no hype reveals, meaning there'd be no fun. If you weren't lucky enough to have one of your favorite characters on the Pass, you'd be ****ed there'd be nothing for you to discuss period. Revealing all of the characters would literally make everything boring and as much as some of us moan and groan about not knowing information, I still think it's a lot of fun to speculate, and the fact that nobody knows what is going to happen makes it feel like we're kinda all in this together, and that's a nice feeling.

At first the thought of a Conker Mii costume bothered me, but now I actually wouldn't mind it at all. I want Conker to have some form of representation in Ultimate, and I really don't care what representation it is. I want Conker to have more international exposure, because if he's gonna have a chance of getting in, he definitely needs to be more well known in the PAL region.

On the topic of a SMRPG, I agree with the idea @Zack E. proposed a few pages ago about having separate FP for each character. In my opinion it would just make the battling system a lot less tedious. Not only would it make it easier to unleash a barrage of powerful attacks on a boss, but it could allow for more strategic combat. For example, Mario and Geno would attack while Mallow used his magic to heal, or any other type of defensive move.

I'd also like to get rid of the weird overhead camera angle. I'm not sure what other people think of that and I don't really know why I have such a big issue with it, but in some areas the camera angle is just... bad. Along with the graphics, the camera just hasn't aged too well in my opinion.

And if I could add one more thing, it would definitely be an updated world map. When I first played SMRPG the map was confusing for me to use and it took me a little bit to figure it out. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I remember being stuck at the beginning of the game because I couldn't figure out how the hell it worked.
Taking a cue from The Last Jedi, allow me to say that it's time for speculation to end.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Taking a cue from The Last Jedi, allow me to say that it's time for speculation to end.
I don't mind when speculation is fun, but at least in terms of Geno, it really isn't anymore. It's kinda more torturous at this point, especially since I'm sure he's gonna just be a Mii costume this time around. I want the bandage ripped off already.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm used to Mario and Luigi speaking gibberish without dialogue, but giving them text would be nice since it gives him more personality.

I was thinking there should be a total of seven party members. Five is a nice number of party members, but having seven would make more sense since it goes with the number of star pieces and the title of the game. The Legend of the Seven Stars can give multiple meanings, like the story of the seven star pieces or the story of the seven heroes that saved the world from Smithy.

If I were to choose two more party members for a remake, I think they should be optional characters. Final Fantasy VII had two optional partners, Yuffie and Vincent, so being developed by the same people, I don't see why SMRPG can't have optional partners either. I think the two new party members, the optional party members, should be Luigi and Jinx. Luigi should appear in the Mushroom Kingdom after beating Punchinello, and since Jinx is an optional boss, defeating him after all three rounds should give you the option of wanting to ask Jinx to join the crew. Luigi's stats can be a little bit the same as Mario's, but I think he should have higher magic attack and less regular attack compared to Mario's. Jinx's attacks can be made into a playable character, maybe having the stats of a fragile speedster?
Now that you mention it, I definitely want Mario speaking gibberish in an SMRPG remake lmao.

And I love your ideas for seven party members, them being Luigi and Jinx, and optional party members.

Speaking of Jinx, I for one need to see Mallow, Geno, or Bowser wearing the Jinx belt.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
In recent memory Mortal Kombat X showed off the first Kombat Pack in its entirety prior to release. I2 revealed the first 3 characters and then had silhouettes for the rest. Some were easier to identify than others. SFV showed off the entire season worth of content for Season 3. Those are just off the top of my head. And yeah it's not the entire thing for some of them but it's at least something.

I think the argument that a character shouldn't be announced because you may not click with their playstyle is incredibly weak. Yeah it'd be nice to know what movesets are in place. But I think it's interesting that you're stating some hypothetical where Sakurai absolutely butchers a character like Geno into making him a swordie but in your own reasoning as to why you bought the pass you stated your own trust in Sakurai to be able to deliver faithful and fun to play characters. But regardless of that there's a difference between having knowledge of what you're purchasing and having an opinion of the level of quality of said thing. One thing is objective and the other is subjective. Knowing Geno, a character someone would like vs. dislike is in a pack would be objective. Feeling like Geno isn't done the way you think would be best is subjective. I don't think people's subjective opinions are a good reason to withhold objective information in the slightest.

IMO heavily suggesting people make a blind purchase on content for an altogether reduced price and hiding behind the defense of "Only buy it if you're confident we can do a good job :3' when they could easily give that information is scummy. Trying to convince people to purchase something that may be against their own interests is predatory.

I'm also really confused as to what you mean by games that reveal their DLC to be the "scummiest" in comparison to this situation. Like, you have to live on Bizarro World to think that what Nintendo is doing is somehow less scummy than NRS revealing each character in a kombat pack prior to launch.
On the same coin, I'm big on FighterZ and dying for them to include Master Roshi. If they revealed the whole line-up and Roshi wasn't on there, I'd complain for a bit and then flip them the bird via my credit card and stop playing the game. Coincidentally, they only have one more character to reveal and they kinda already ****ed it up by picking GT Goku. I was going to buy all the characters to support them if Roshi drops but if Roshi doesn't happen it will be the same as before.

However, I agree with you on holding characters: you can announce all the characters and still have the hype of how they are going to play. The problem with Smash is that movesets are so limited that talking about it is super easy. What I mean is, whenever we talk about Geno, we kinda already know what his specials and FS would be, and we have general ideas on normals and taunts and victory screens. However, for a game like Mortal Kombat, it's a lot harder to even discuss or pin anything on a character and the only thing to really imagine are more vague. For example, take Leatherface. Very few people are going to wonder what he right punch will be or what his Fireball Foward special would be (if he has one) because, unlike Smash who has a very strict character kit formula, other fighting games have a lot more freedom in that regard. Thus, most speculation was 'Will he use his chainsaw?' and 'Will he use his hammer?' rather than 'I wonder if his chainsaw will be his charge move?'

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I don't mind when speculation is fun, but at least in terms of Geno, it really isn't anymore. It's kinda more torturous at this point, especially since I'm sure he's gonna just be a Mii costume this time around. I want the bandage ripped off already.
The character model is already mostly there, and there are plenty of characters to serve as a “base” for his model. Since he specializes in projectiles, many of the effects from other characters would probably be used. He also has character art included in the game from his icon. And of course, apparently Sakurai has already put some kind of thought about his inclusion for previous entries of smash.

Overall what I’m trying to say is, Geno is probably the Most completed non confirmed character we have. He’s not exactly a hard character to model either.

Btw has it ever been officially confirmed that Geno and Smrpg characters are owned by Square?Or has that all been a word of mouth type deal?
I mean you look at the Kh series and it’s not like The Kh cast is owned by square. Just curious.

D

Deleted member

I'd love the idea of the Geno star spirit coming out of the Geno doll to perform special attacks in an SMRPG remake.

The character model is already mostly there, and there are plenty of characters to serve as a “base” for his model. Since he specializes in projectiles, many of the effects from other characters would probably be used. He also has character art included in the game from his icon. And of course, apparently Sakurai has already put some kind of thought about his inclusion for previous entries of smash.

Overall what I’m trying to say is, Geno is probably the Most completed non confirmed character we have. He’s not exactly a hard character to model either.

Btw has it ever been officially confirmed that Geno and Smrpg characters are owned by Square?Or has that all been a word of mouth type deal?
I mean you look at the Kh series and it’s not like The Kh cast is owned by square. Just curious.
Yeah, Geno, Mallow, and the rest of the SMRPG characters/names of characters who weren't in previous Mario games are owned by Square. I agree with your post though.

D

Deleted member

I'm really enjoying the new update. This error code is lit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Haha Wouldn’t it be funny if right when your big DLC drooped your online store **** itself? Like just as a prank lol :chuckle:
It's good to know I'm not the only one suffering from this, but this still sucks. I got Joker already, the problem I'm having is the communication errors with updating to version 3.0. :/

D

Deleted member

Jokes on y'all, I didn't get Joker, so I don't have to deal with them damn error codes

*laughs menacingly*

D

Deleted member

Not only did Joker steal our hearts, but he also stole the eShop servers.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Of course speculation is fun, but it's got to end eventually. Trying to prolong it artificially is futile.

D

Deleted member

I'm just going to watch Adventure Time until these eShop shenanigans are finished. I don't have anything else to do anyway.

Edit: Glad to see Wario's only change was to eat projectiles easier.

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet
Joker's pretty cool. Was expecting another anime boy fighter but he's got some neat tricks up his sleeves. He has a ton of attention to detail and it's pretty clear to me they put a lot of work into him. Makes me wonder if it sets a precedent for the future DLC characters.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I also have not bought the fighters pass on principal, but I did buy Joker because his playstyle seems to be my standard character type. He's fun so far.

The stage builder is a bit of a disappointment for me, though. There isn't nearly enough terrain varieties. Would have loved some brick tiles and the ability to color the existing ones.

Last edited:

Monokarhu

Smash Cadet
Forgive me if this point has already been talked to death, but is it not possible that they'd reveal more than one character at once? Considering that we've already gone over 4 months without DLC Character #2 being revealed, with a large Direct and a New Content Approaching video along the way, it seems clear to me that there's some reason why they're holding out, and one reason I can think of is that they want to reveal two characters at once. If that is the case, then the two characters would presumably be linked in some way, and if one of them is indeed Erdrick... I think you know where I'm going with this.

I'm definitely not as confident in Geno's inclusion in Ultimate now as I was before the game was released, but we know for a fact that Sakurai would love to have him in, we know that Nintendo cares about SMRPG more than it might seem like they do (I mean, just consider the fact that the SNES Classic has SMRPG but not DKC2), and if they put Erdrick in, both of Squeenix's big franchises would be represented, meaning that they would presumably be more open to having a "lesser" character of theirs featured in Smash.

If you want to veer more into "conspiracy theory" territory, consider the "Square Seven" and then consider this (spoilered because it's a bit dumb):
Why would they have such a relatively large number of potential characters for one character slot? You'd think that about three or four would do. Well, if there's more than one character in, it makes a bit more sense, right? It's much easier to hone in on two characters out of four than it is to two characters out of seven. I mean, hell, it's not exactly very hard to do even with seven characters. Think about it:

- The seven presumed characters are Geno, Chrono, Sephiroth, Sora, Slime, Erdrick and Luminary.
- They're absolutely not going to add more than one DQ character, so it's more like Geno, Chrono, Sephiroth, Sora and DQ Character.
- Some people might disagree, but I'd argue that the Chrono series has sunken into the distant annals of history (I mean, the last release in the series was literally two decades ago), which would make Chrono's inclusion pretty unlikely, meaning we're now at Geno, Sephiroth, Sora and DQ Character.
- There isn't exactly very much precedent for this either way, but it feels like neither Sakurai nor Squeenix would want more than one non-Echo character from the same third-party game, meaning that Sephiroth would be out too, leaving us with Geno, Sora and DQ Character.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is that if they add two new Squeenix characters, Geno very literally has a 66% chance of being in. Pretty good odds, I'd say.

And if they still don't put him in, at the very least give us Beware the Forest's Mushrooms, god damn it.

Also, as a completely unrelated side note, I'm probably the only person in the world who gives a damn, but I'm beyond happy that we got something Teddie-related in Smash. Never thought I'd see the day.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
So I bought Joker.

Not because I wanted to , rather , for what I like to do with Smash , I realized that I need ALL THE DLCs.

Why ? Simple. I like doing little montages. The in-game clip system is extremely useful to me since I don't have a capture card like an Elgato HD.
But here's the problem ; YOU CAN'T CLIP A REPLAY INCLUDING A DLC CHARACTER YOU DON'T OWN.

I'm not kidding , this happened for several people with :ultpiranha: , and this is going to be like that for every DLC character.
You know what's worse ? ... : Back in Sm4sh , YOU WERE ABLE TO POST YOUR REPLAYS ON YOUTUBE EVEN IF THEY INCLUDED DLC CONTENT YOU DIDN'T OWNED.

Don't try to defend this. Especially since the way the replay system and Smash updates work would allow this to work normally :

Your replay aren't videos , rather , the game memorize every input each player did , and make 2 CPUs do them with the same stage , rules and stuff. This is done like that because online matches can be very laggy sometimes. It also use less memory.
Back in Sm4sh , what you purchased wasn't the DLC character or stage , rather , it was a line of code that unlocked the DLC content.
This was done like that so you could watch the replays including DLC content you didn't owned , since it was added through the updates but locked.

From what Iv'e seen , it seem to work the exact same way for Ultimate. (Almost no download time for DLCs , but updates can be a bit long)

----

I also really hope that if Erdrick is DLC , and that Geno is a costume , there is the possibility to only buy the costume.
Joker will already do nothing but take the dust for me , and Erdrick will most likely be the same.

Seriously , It seem small , but that's still 30 dollars. I already paid for online (20 dollars a year) , the game (60 dollars) , so it would be 110 dollars total. (Not counting stuff like controllers)

I was neutral on Joker , but this really make me dislike him when it shouldn't.

D

Deleted member

Forgive me if this point has already been talked to death, but is it not possible that they'd reveal more than one character at once? Considering that we've already gone over 4 months without DLC Character #2 being revealed, with a large Direct and a New Content Approaching video along the way, it seems clear to me that there's some reason why they're holding out, and one reason I can think of is that they want to reveal two characters at once. If that is the case, then the two characters would presumably be linked in some way, and if one of them is indeed Erdrick... I think you know where I'm going with this.

I'm definitely not as confident in Geno's inclusion in Ultimate now as I was before the game was released, but we know for a fact that Sakurai would love to have him in, we know that Nintendo cares about SMRPG more than it might seem like they do (I mean, just consider the fact that the SNES Classic has SMRPG but not DKC2), and if they put Erdrick in, both of Squeenix's big franchises would be represented, meaning that they would presumably be more open to having a "lesser" character of theirs featured in Smash.

If you want to veer more into "conspiracy theory" territory, consider the "Square Seven" and then consider this (spoilered because it's a bit dumb):
Why would they have such a relatively large number of potential characters for one character slot? You'd think that about three or four would do. Well, if there's more than one character in, it makes a bit more sense, right? It's much easier to hone in on two characters out of four than it is to two characters out of seven. I mean, hell, it's not exactly very hard to do even with seven characters. Think about it:

- The seven presumed characters are Geno, Chrono, Sephiroth, Sora, Slime, Erdrick and Luminary.
- They're absolutely not going to add more than one DQ character, so it's more like Geno, Chrono, Sephiroth, Sora and DQ Character.
- Some people might disagree, but I'd argue that the Chrono series has sunken into the distant annals of history (I mean, the last release in the series was literally two decades ago), which would make Chrono's inclusion pretty unlikely, meaning we're now at Geno, Sephiroth, Sora and DQ Character.
- There isn't exactly very much precedent for this either way, but it feels like neither Sakurai nor Squeenix would want more than one non-Echo character from the same third-party game, meaning that Sephiroth would be out too, leaving us with Geno, Sora and DQ Character.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is that if they add two new Squeenix characters, Geno very literally has a 66% chance of being in. Pretty good odds, I'd say.

And if they still don't put him in, at the very least give us Beware the Forest's Mushrooms, god damn it.

Also, as a completely unrelated side note, I'm probably the only person in the world who gives a damn, but I'm beyond happy that we got something Teddie-related in Smash. Never thought I'd see the day.
I definitely think it's possible for them to reveal two characters at once. E3 seems like a pretty good time to do that lol.

I don't think Crono should be counted out, at least not for the sole reason of his series being dead, but I still agree with the rest of your post.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
If they reveal 2 characters at E3, I don't think they'll both be from the same third-party company. For example, I don't think they'll reveal (or even add) two SE reps, or two Microsoft reps, etc. at the same time; there'll only be one DLC character for each third-party company if they do get one. Just my thoughts though.

Also, hi I'm back, sorry I was gone for awhile. I don't know if you remember me.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If they reveal 2 characters at E3, I don't think they'll both be from the same third-party company. For example, I don't think they'll reveal (or even add) two SE reps, or two Microsoft reps, etc. at the same time; there'll only be one DLC character for each third-party company if they do get one. Just my thoughts though.

Also, hi I'm back, sorry I was gone for awhile. I don't know if you remember me.
I do, hey there! Nice to see you around!

Man, I woke up from a dream and I just feel sad now. I had a dream that we got SMRPG music in Smash along with Geno's spirit, the Mii outfit, and an assist. Like, he got the whole Isaac treatment and a red carpet for everything but a playable Geno. While that might not seem amazing to most, I was ECSTATIC. My boy has a new 3D model! We've got SMRPG music in the game! We have a spirit and the Mii outfit to top it all off! This is as close to playable Geno as we can get, AND my boy gets lots of love to boot!

... Yeah, I was grumpy waking up from that. :mad088:

D

Deleted member

What's something you don't like or think it can be improved upon in SMRPG?

I've said this before, but I think Smithy, as the final boss, needs a lot more climax to his fight, like having to defeat him with courage and hope, rather than just needing to hit him a certain amount of times.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I'm praying for a shadow trailer drop in May at this point. 6 Months between character reveals is just too much in my opinion.

E3 is nice, but last year half the content was for just one game, which is why I don't expect a lot of game updates as well as more than one big Smash reveal.

I dunno. I just feel like it's a bit much. And the fact that it's been more than 6 months since the last Animal Crossing update also concerns me.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Man, I woke up from a dream and I just feel sad now. I had a dream that we got SMRPG music in Smash along with Geno's spirit, the Mii outfit, and an assist. Like, he got the whole Isaac treatment and a red carpet for everything but a playable Geno. While that might not seem amazing to most, I was ECSTATIC. My boy has a new 3D model! We've got SMRPG music in the game! We have a spirit and the Mii outfit to top it all off! This is as close to playable Geno as we can get, AND my boy gets lots of love to boot!
If Geno doesn't get in as a playable character, I would absolutely LOVE having him as an AT. Getting a 3D model for Geno is probably one of the big reasons I want him to be included; I just love his design and I want to see him kick some butt. Also, while I would love remixes of SMRPG music, I hope that they would put some of the original tracks in too.

Anyways, what's something you don't like or think it can be improved upon in SMRPG?

I've said this before, but I think Smithy, as the final boss, needs a lot more climax to his fight, like having to defeat him with courage and hope, rather than just needing to hit him a certain amount of times.
I think the problem with Smithy is that you never really got to know him as a villain until quite literally the very end. Maybe if they could cut to him and what he's doing and how he interacts with his minions and stuff would help us get to know him better than "oh, he's evil we need to stop him."

D

Deleted member

I think the problem with Smithy is that you never really got to know him as a villain until quite literally the very end. Maybe if they could cut to him and what he's doing and how he interacts with his minions and stuff would help us get to know him better than "oh, he's evil we need to stop him."
I agree. More time to develop Smithy as a villain is always better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom