• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
That does bring an interesting question. Could SMRPG and the CD-i games be seen as essentially (in)direct contrasts to each other? Same era, Nintendo striking a deal with third party and the two parting ways due to differences, as well as mixing new characters with established ones. On a second thought, I doubt most people would compare Morshu with Geno.
Now I'm imagining Morshu recolored to look like Geno and I'm terrified.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Yes, I definitely remember; I started watching and creating my own YTPs from 2007 onward. I still like to keep that oldschool flame alive with the occasional YTP whenever I feel like making one.

On the other hand there's always a site like VidLii, even if it's kind of a cheesy alternative.
That's awesome, man! Glad there are still some of us out there. My journey was different, though. My sister got me into watching videos on YouTube in 2005, but I didn't make my first account until 2008. Eventually I forgot my stuff one day and couldn't get in, nor do I remember my old user to this today. I remade an account about a year later and unfortunately got copyright strikes from various companies, so I stopped making YTP's. I made a new account in 2011 and had it since, and I only use it for personal use. It's been quite the YouTube journey for me.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
That's awesome, man! Glad there are still some of us out there. My journey was different, though. My sister got me into watching videos on YouTube in 2005, but I didn't make my first account until 2008. Eventually I forgot my stuff one day and couldn't get in, nor do I remember my old user to this today. I remade an account about a year later and unfortunately got copyright strikes from various companies, so I stopped making YTP's. I made a new account in 2011 and had it since, and I only use it for personal use. It's been quite the YouTube journey for me.
I remember first watching Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness vids and walkthroughs back in 2006 on Youtube, but I didn't make my personal account till 2009 heh. I made a lot of crappy vids on that account good lord. But I remember watching a bunch of YTPs and Nintendo and Sega related content. Even found an EarthBound sprite video series while rather cringy and childish today was my absolute favorite thing ever back when I was 12. It also introduced me to my current pfp heh.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I remember first watching Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness vids and walkthroughs back in 2006 on Youtube, but I didn't make my personal account till 2009 heh. I made a lot of crappy vids on that account good lord. But I remember watching a bunch of YTPs and Nintendo and Sega related content. Even found an EarthBound sprite video series while rather cringy and childish today was my absolute favorite thing ever back when I was 12. It also introduced me to my current pfp heh.
I consider anyone a legend if they were here for Chuggaaconroy's original Let's Plays. I first found his channel when he was making his SMRPG Let's Play. If it wasn't for Chuggaaconroy, I wouldn't have taken such an interest in SMRPG... thank goodness it was his 4th game to play on his channel.

The internet was in such a great time during the mid and late 2000s.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the topic of borrowing Nintendo characters, this interesting little nugget just came up:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...creator_yuji_naka_thinks_nintendo_has_changed

According to NintendoSoup, Naka explained how Cadence of Hyrule reminded him of a time when he asked Nintendo if he could borrow Mario for a game and was denied. Now, after the recent Nindie Direct announcement, Naka feels as if Nintendo has changed a lot.
What say you?

Now I'm imagining Morshu recolored to look like Geno and I'm terrified.
Could be worse, he was edited into a :ultfalcon: outfit once.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
By the way all this talk of CD-i games in a Geno thread, anyone ever see the CD-i art rendition of Super Mario RPG?
Thanks, I hate it.

In all seriousness, the Zelda x Crypt of the Necrodancer crossover is pretty important because it does open up things for more off the wall and creative crossovers as well as give nice buffers between Nintendo's triple A stuff like Breath of the Wild. It's a game changer and could bring about quality game frequency we haven't seen since the SNES days.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Thanks, I hate it.

In all seriousness, the Zelda x Crypt of the Necrodancer crossover is pretty important because it does open up things for more off the wall and creative crossovers as well as give nice buffers between Nintendo's triple A stuff like Breath of the Wild. It's a game changer and could bring about quality game frequency we haven't seen since the SNES days.
In terms of the SNES days, it reminds me of a certain crossover being made against all odds with two certain companies that ended up in a certain cloud boy and a certain star doll.

... Very intredasting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way all this talk of CD-i games in a Geno thread, anyone ever see the CD-i art rendition of Super Mario RPG?
Belome: "Whatever I see, I devour."

Also, nice boobs on Valentina. Czar Dragon is what in blazes tier.

Thanks, I hate it.

Oh for sure, not to mention more willingness to be anything goes in regards to Mario titles, only with more strict quality assurance this time, so no more Mario is Missings or Mario's Time Machines.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
... It still surprise me how much time and effort some artists can put into drawings that are... Uh... Well... How do I put it to not be rude... Experimental... ?

Well , while we are on the subject , if we ever have a SMRPG remake , I would love to have cutscenes be animated in a cartoon fashion instead of using the in-game engine. I know Mario games rarely had something like that (All I can think of is the openings of the GC Mario Sports games , but they use 3D) , but damn , I would love to see this.
They should hire Ovaltine for them , her art is gorgeous

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
Now, while I do agree there was a freshness and newness to everything internet related during that time period, including a wonderful amount of creativity...

Let’s not pretend like those weren’t also the prime days for a lot of the toxic internet culture that we’re still left with today. And the whole “**** your mom” commentary of online gamers was born of that era too.

YouTube’s gotten a lot worse and there are a lot of bigger sites that often dominate things, but we’ve also seen new things and avenues develop for content creators. I can’t say I have a ton of nostalgia for that era as I seriously reflect on it.
that's fine. it's not like those times were perfect or anything. but i'd take a wayyyy less policed internet than what it is now.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
On the topic of borrowing Nintendo characters, this interesting little nugget just came up: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/03/sonic_the_hedgehog_creator_yuji_naka_thinks_nintendo_has_changed
He's not wrong. Nintendo has changed. Besides not giving Mario to Sega, Nintendo was somehow brave enough to give Mario characters to their old science partner from elementary school; giving Mario characters to Square to develop their puzzle games is quite the odd outcome.

But I do agree that Nintendo has definitely changed. When Iwata was here, he made Microsoft and Sony's CEO's look like they were nothing but underlings. After Iwata left, it's really just all about money and marketing. Iwata was kind enough to cut 50% of his salary due to ad failure; tell me, what kind of CEO does that? Oh yeah, an actual human being that actually cares about his company, the others around him, and doesn't fire/blame innocent employees.

Iwata and Reggie looked like they both enjoyed being president, while the previous and current NoJ president look like they're faking their smiles, hate their jobs, and aren't enjoying their position behind those "smiles" of theirs. Whenever Furukawa steps down, they really need to put someone as CEO who is a gamer and actually gives a damn about their community, just like Iwata. I pray they choose Koizumi or Takahashi as the next president(s); don't choose some random guy that doesn't have the audacity to care.

The '90s and 2000s were really good times for gaming and entertainment, but nowadays it's just all about money and only pleasing a "majority" of your community. I would love to go back to those times. :/

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
He's not wrong. Nintendo has changed. Besides not giving Mario to Sega, Nintendo was somehow brave enough to give Mario characters to their old science partner from elementary school; giving Mario characters to Square to develop their puzzle games is quite the odd outcome.

But I do agree that Nintendo has definitely changed. When Iwata was here, he made Microsoft and Sony's CEO's look like they were nothing but underlings. After Iwata left, it's really just all about money and marketing. Iwata was kind enough to cut 50% of his salary due to ad failure; tell me, what kind of CEO does that? Oh yeah, an actual human being that actually cares about his company, the others around him, and doesn't fire/blame innocent employees.

Iwata and Reggie looked like they both enjoyed being president, while the previous and current NoJ president look like they're faking their smiles, hate their jobs, and aren't enjoying their position behind those "smiles" of theirs. Whenever Furukawa steps down, they really need to put someone as CEO who is a gamer and actually gives a damn about their community, just like Iwata. I pray they choose Koizumi or Takahashi as the next president(s); don't choose some random guy that doesn't have the audacity to care.

The '90s and 2000s were really good times for gaming and entertainment, but nowadays it's just all about money and only pleasing a "majority" of your community. I would love to go back to those times. :/
It helps that Koizumi hosted the previous general direct, it was a fairly wise decision to have someone of his character do that one. It could be a start. Luckily the turnover rate seems relatively quick now, so odds are Furukawa will get punted out by Switch's mid-life.

I honestly wonder who at present Nintendo went enough against the grain to go "oh what the hell, let people have fun" and approve Cadence of Hyrule.

that's fine. it's not like those times were perfect or anything. but i'd take a wayyyy less policed internet than what it is now.
Could be worse, at least some bills got repealed that would have basically killed off Internet content period.

Now let's just drop the subject please, this is getting too political.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I for one am happier as a Nintendo fan under the tenure of Furukawa and Kimishima than I was under Iwata (at least since the beginning of the seventh gen). Iwata definitely cared about the company and seemed a genuine fan, but I was never thrilled with the direction he took the company.

He did right the course during his final years, of which we're still seeing the outcome, but just because the other two weren't as whimsical doesn't mean we shouldn't give at least the current one a chance. He's hardly been in long enough to demonstrate his style, or provide long-term effects.

Though during his tenure Nintendo loosened their clutch on the Youtube partner program and have made a concerted effort not to make their mobile ventures too "gatcha", which are two commendable strides. Plus, they seem less draconian about using their IPs, which is always nice. If anything, Nintendo seems to care more about the fans now than under Iwata, when they were largely concerned with cornering the casual market.

D

Deleted member

So, while looking up info on Prope's current activities, I came across this:

Heck of a time to do that, given what they're going through right now. Bit of a weird decision to stop being independent on Yuji Naka's part.
He's gonna come onto Square to use Geno and make him the main character of a brand new Platforming series!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Luckily the turnover rate seems relatively quick now, so odds are Furukawa will get punted out by Switch's mid-life.
That's generally not how it works, especially in Japan. Furukawa was presumably appointed for the long haul, whereas in the wake of Iwata's unexpected passing, Kimishima was only an interim president appointed until a more permanent one was decided upon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's generally not how it works, especially in Japan. Furukawa was presumably appointed for the long haul, whereas in the wake of Iwata's unexpected passing, Kimishima was only an interim president appointed until a more permanent one was decided upon.
Darn. Well, at least he's more of a figurehead for the most part, seeing what's happening at the turn of this decade (especially in regards to those mysterious Microsoft deals).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Darn. Well, at least he's more of a figurehead for the most part, seeing what's happening at the turn of this decade (especially in regards to those mysterious Microsoft deals).
I can understand missing Iwata's quirkiness, but an endearing personality is less important than the actual actions made, developments undertook, and products provided during that president's tenure, and so far I don't see any reason to bemoan Furukawa.

If he's going to make steps towards the Nintendo I want, I can handle him not holding bananas in Directs or sometimes being a muppet.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I can understand missing Iwata's quirkiness, but an endearing personality is less important than the actual actions made, developments undertook, and products provided during that president's tenure, and so far I don't see any reason to bemoan Furukawa.

If he's going to make steps towards the Nintendo I want, I can handle him not holding bananas in Directs or sometimes being a muppet.
Yeah, heavens knows I love Iwata and will always hold reverence for that man. He has dedication and passion beyond my wildest dreams. With that being said, though, Kimishima and Furukawa have made a lot of good decisions, and while Iwata made some, the direction he took Nintendo isn't one I was thrilled about.

D

Deleted member

Hmmmm...let's see....

Avengers: Endgame hits theaters on April 26.

Joker comes to Smash at around the end of April.

Joker's in Endgame and Thanos will be revealed as brave.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hmmmm...let's see....

Avengers: Endgame hits theaters on April 26.

Joker comes to Smash at around the end of April.

Joker's in Endgame and Thanos will be revealed as brave.
If someone posts that Thanos Geno edit again, I will scream.

Kidding, love you guys.

D

Deleted member

You asked for it
Thanos Geno.png
What can I say, Reality is often Disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom