• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Even though the fandom might not have been all it was, you have to remember- the ballot was advertised as being for Smash 4- Ridley already had a clear part in that game, what with being a boss on Pyrosphere. And he got enough votes to make it into Ultimate. I know I voted for him.
Or, maybe Ridley didn’t get enough votes in the ballot, but Sakurai already knew of his overwhelming popularity and decided to include him regardless.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Or, maybe Ridley didn’t get enough votes in the ballot, but Sakurai already knew of his overwhelming popularity and decided to include him regardless.
Well, there is that, yeah, but I'm pretty sure Sakurai cited Ridley, K. Rool, and the Belmonts in particular being newcomers inspired by the ballot. In Ridley's case, I doubt it was entirely the ballot, but that might have been the little nudge he needed to make it into Ultimate.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh, no, not at all, I'm afraid. I kind of have an aversion from it for some personal reasons I'd rather not disclose. I'm sorry!
It's fine and I won't ask why, but let me just tell you this.

I am now 100% behind your perspective on Geno and Rosalina.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, there is that, yeah, but I'm pretty sure Sakurai cited Ridley, K. Rool, and the Belmonts in particular being newcomers inspired by the ballot. In Ridley's case, I doubt it was entirely the ballot, but that might have been the little nudge he needed to make it into Ultimate.
Meh, I don’t really buy the Belmonts being ballot picks either. Pretty much the only newcomer I think was influenced by the ballot is K. Rool.

I feel like I’m out of some loop.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

... Okay, now I'm very curious despite my aversion. PM me with these sweet details.

Anyhow, another thing I thought of that would be in Geno's favor, even if Erdrick gets in (actually, particularly if Erdrick gets in), is an interesting angle: western vs. eastern appeal. Let's be real, Geno has a worldwide fanbase, but NoA seems especially eager about pushing him. What if we're getting both, with Geno being the more western pick and Erdrick being the eastern? That way, everyone is happy, DQ gets promoted, we get a fan favorite, and... boom. That said, I wouldn't imagine Geno being in the Fighter's Pass in that case, instead being misc. DLC or for a second wave. Either way, it's a little food for thought.

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
Finished making Geno palette swaps for the whole Mario RPG party.

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised a lot of people don't bring up the various capes that Geno can get in the game as potential alternate costumes. The Star Cape would be a cool one to have to go along with Mario's Golf costume.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Question, have we talked about what Geno's classic mode could be that much?
Mario, White Kirby and Greninja (for Mallow and Frogfucius), Yoshi, Wario (for Booster), Peach, Bowser, Galleom. Called, Let's Get this Show on the Road.

Last edited:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Question, have we talked about what Geno's classic mode could be that much?
At one point, he fights a bunch of Captain Falcons wearing the colors of the Axem Rangers. He has an alt for each one!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I always figured a cool possible classic mode theme for Geno would be characters who had to wait for a game or more to get in Smash. I just don't know if there is enough material to work with.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
So we as a community have to think- how well do we honestly believe Geno did on the Ballot? We know he did at least well enough to have a Mii Costume made, but do we think his presence made enough of a splash for Square to realize there's money to be made by including him as true CHARACTER DLC? Only time will tell, I suppose.
Extremely well, no doubt. We got the help of YouTube ( TerminalMontage TerminalMontage with his "Vote for Geno!" video), the help of Deviantart, the help of Tumblr (ugh), the help of the Smashboards, and old fans from the Melee/Brawl days in general. I actually remember voting for Geno over 100 times in the ballot. (Yes, I did this! I really wanted Geno back after all these years and it seemed like it was the only way!) Because he got a Mii costume in general tells me he did extremely well in the ballot, in fact, it seems like his Mii costume was the only Mii costume that got a special introduction, literally the ONLY ****ing Mii costume to get a splash screen and revealed like a character after Corrin and before Bayonetta; it's like he was originally supposed to be character 63 and Bayonetta would've been 64.

I made a theory a month or two ago about the Mii costumes in pack 2 and above being possible runner-ups in the ballot, hence why they got Mii costumes. Sometimes I also think the Geno Mii costume was there to see how well he'd sell, and everyone I knew got his costume, and I'm sure a lot of you on here did, too. If he sold well, my guess is Nintendo would want to negotiate with getting Geno in Smash. Sakurai knows Geno would be fun and sell well as DLC because of how much he'd appeal to the community and his fans (even noted by him, Geno is very popular), and Nintendo would 100% acknowledge this if the Geno Mii costume did well, along with the Square DLC content.

No, I'm not biased, but I'm absolutely sure King K. Rool won the ballot as #1, and I am 100% positive that Geno at least made it in the top 10. If he was below the top 10, there's no way I would've seen him get a special introduction with his Mii costume; there's no way he would've gotten a splash screen. I mean, a splash screen for a Mii fighter outfit, even though it's not a newcomer? Not just a Mii fighter outfit/costume, but the ONLY Mii fighter outfit to get a splash screen? Tell me, why is that? Exactly, no one knows why. I swear, something's got to be coming. That splash screen has got to be some foreshadowing or something.

I'm probably wrong about this, which is why we should lower our expectations on this one: I believe this is where the two fan-favorite DLC characters come into play, one being Geno and the other being Banjo. All the first-party fan-favorites that were voted in the ballot are probably already in the game as newcomers, and I think Sakurai or Nintendo will focus on getting the highly requested third-parties (Banjo and Geno) in the game as DLC because their owners want money out of it, and you know how Square and Microsoft are. For all we know, Geno or Banjo could've been planned for the base but was pushed back to DLC because their owners want money out of them. Please don't take me as if I'm correct on this one, this is only a theory.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
So a long time lurker, I finally recently made my account on here. Been supporting Geno since the start.

I specifically wanted to ask the folks in here about something.

So I dont remember where I saw it initially (probably a speculation video or something) but some time before the November direct, I saw a 4chan post.

And normally I dismiss many of those sorts of text leaks outright. Anyways (sorry I'm so long winded), it claimed Incineroar and Ken would both get in base in the same trailer. It then went and verbatim described the trailer we actually got (down to Incineroar waiting in the shadows and then running out).

Though instead of what we got with PP, it described very specifically a final reveal trailer they claimed was for Geno. Mario, Young Link, and Diddy Kong are walking in a forest and they get ambushed by Bowser and the Koopalings. Geno then appears and saves the day. Gameplay is shown and then it ends with Mario and Geno shaking hands and looking into the sunset.

Now, of course, this is not what came to pass, however both my girlfriend and I have been haunted by this since November: How did that leak get exactly right the Kencineroar trailer? And why was their Geno trailer so specific?

Now normally I'd just have dismissed this by now, but the precise accuracy of the Kencineroar double reveal was too perfect to disregard.

I still have hope this Geno trailer exists and was intended to be shown for base, but has been saved.

I do dearly wish I could locate this post, its absolutely uncanny in the description.

Thanks for reading, sorry to blab :'D

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
So a long time lurker, I finally recently made my account on here. Been supporting Geno since the start.

I specifically wanted to ask the folks in here about something.

So I dont remember where I saw it initially (probably a speculation video or something) but some time before the November direct, I saw a 4chan post.

And normally I dismiss many of those sorts of text leaks outright. Anyways (sorry I'm so long winded), it claimed Incineroar and Ken would both get in base in the same trailer. It then went and verbatim described the trailer we actually got (down to Incineroar waiting in the shadows and then running out).

Though instead of what we got with PP, it described very specifically a final reveal trailer they claimed was for Geno. Mario, Young Link, and Diddy Kong are walking in a forest and they get ambushed by Bowser and the Koopalings. Geno then appears and saves the day. Gameplay is shown and then it ends with Mario and Geno shaking hands and looking into the sunset.

Now, of course, this is not what came to pass, however both my girlfriend and I have been haunted by this since November: How did that leak get exactly right the Kencineroar trailer? And why was their Geno trailer so specific?

Now normally I'd just have dismissed this by now, but the precise accuracy of the Kencineroar double reveal was too perfect to disregard.

I still have hope this Geno trailer exists and was intended to be shown for base, but has been saved.

I do dearly wish I could locate this post, its absolutely uncanny in the description.

Thanks for reading, sorry to blab :'D
The Kencineroar trailer was probably the easiest one to guess. Both characters are known for fighting, so seeing them in the boxing ring isn't particularly surprising. If they mentioned Villager and K Rool in boxing gloves at the end, I'd be definitely interested.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The Kencineroar trailer was probably the easiest one to guess. Both characters are known for fighting, so seeing them in the boxing ring isn't particularly surprising. If they mentioned Villager and K Rool in boxing gloves at the end, I'd be definitely interested.
Yeah, I heard the idea of a Ken/Incineroar dual reveal set in a boxing ring brought up several times before the trailer dropped. Guessing the Kencineroar trailer isn't anything really worth paying attention to, especially since both characters were kind of obvious inclusions at that point, Grinch Leak notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Finished making Geno palette swaps for the whole Mario RPG party.

These are really beautiful. My favorite has to be Bowser's palette because Geno looks like a 3D gingerbread man, and that means he must taste delicious! XD
Mario, White Kirby and Greninja (for Mallow and Frogfucius), Yoshi, Wario (for Booster), Peach, Bowser, Galleom. Called, Let's Get this Show on the Road.
Or how about... "Let's Get this Show on the Star Road!"? ;)
Here is my take:
That's actually a really cool idea and concept for Geno's classic mode! For his classic mode boss, I thought Galleom could work well as his boss because Galleom already looks like he's part of the Smithy Gang.
Meh, I don’t really buy the Belmonts being ballot picks either. Pretty much the only newcomer I think was influenced by the ballot is K. Rool.

I feel like I’m out of some loop.
I get what you mean, but I'm sure the only Belmont that was highly voted in the ballot was Simon Belmont because he was a gaming icon on the NES and seemed like the most likely Belmont to get in the game. I'm pretty sure it was stated somewhere that Simon was a western pick and Richter was an eastern pick to make both sides happy. I think Sakurai already had plans on wanting Simon in the game, it's probably just that he didn't bother on getting Simon because he wanted other third-parties to join in Smash 4, and he probably didn't want to bother on getting Simon and Snake's rights from Konami, which is why he waited for Ultimate and decided to get both of their rights then for the perfect opportunity.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Yeah, I heard the idea of a Ken/Incineroar dual reveal set in a boxing ring brought up several times before the trailer dropped. Guessing the Kencineroar trailer isn't anything really worth paying attention to, especially since both characters were kind of obvious inclusions at that point, Grinch Leak notwithstanding.
Even if it was the only example of someone guessing it, it could have just been a huge coincidence. Back in the Smash 4 days, KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 and I were talking about what the E3 where Pac-Man was revealed was going to be like. We joked at the worst case scenario was Miis, Palutena, and Pac-Man, and basically guessed that if Miis were shown it was going to be Iwata and Reggie fighting each other. Lo and behold, we got Miis, Palutena, and Pac-Man.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah, I remember seeing it multiple times. It's not too big a stretch, but... I do remember thinking of that leak when Kencineroar dropped, namely Incineroar in the shadows. It made me think that Geno was coming in as a bonus, and when the starry Luigi and company were shown, I was like... wait. Is this it? (It wasn't, lmao.) It makes me wonder if, on the VERY off chance (VERY, VERY OFF CHANCE, I doubt this is real) that this leak was legitimate, Geno was meant to be in the bonus instead of PP, but he was pushed off to DLC for some reason. It'd make a little sense, too, because Square? Allowing DLC of any kind for free? Funny joke there. It'd also explain why Geno is a rumor around NoA.

... but yeah, that said, I sincerely doubt that one's legitimacy. I don't think that's real. Now, if it mentions the end with Villager and K. Rool, then I'll be raising an eyebrow.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
The way the ballot was structured, asking for the voter's gender, as well as having separate links for separate regions leads me to believe it had multiple winners.

Daisy and Isabelle may not strike you as ballot picks, but they may very well have ranked highly for Western and Japanese women respectively, for example. Ridley was probably Western men, Chrom was Japanese men, and King K. Rool won overall.

Simon was the 3rd Party Character they can use in advertising, and then Richter, Dark Samus, and Ken are who they used to pad out the "Echo Fighter" concept once they decided to make Daisy and Chrom clones.

Incineroar was 100% advertising.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the input everyone! Yeah I'd wish I could find it again to confirm. While I know there'd been rumors of Kencineroar being a reveal together, I just remember people saying they found it unlikely two characters not in the same series would be revealed in the same trailer. So at the time I really thought it was special it panned out that way.

I understand those two characters were not a stretch, but the description of the scene was exact, with Little Mac being there and then there being the interruption and all.

It may be a whole lot of hot air, but just thought I'd bring it up. Given how detailed it was, I thought maybe a similarly detailed Geno trailer hadnt been out of the question. Especially at the end of base, after we'd seen both Ridley and K Rool come to pass.

D

Deleted member

I made a Geno mii just in case the costume comes back. I think he turned out okay.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
The way the ballot was structured, asking for the voter's gender, as well as having separate links for separate regions leads me to believe it had multiple winners.

Daisy and Isabelle may not strike you as ballot picks, but they may very well have ranked highly for Western and Japanese women respectively, for example. Ridley was probably Western men, Chrom was Japanese men, and King K. Rool won overall.
I completely forgot that you chose a gender in the ballot...

This actually makes a lot of sense.

benbron

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
5357-6463-4605
Speaking of that mii costume, what's everyone's interpretation of the lack of that costume in ultimate? It feels like a notable outlier to me considering the k rool outfit is still there. Considering the chocobo hat is gone too, does that mean the simplest answer is SE just nixed mii costumes completely?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think it's possible that maybe the chosen Ballot picks were cherry picked by Sakurai in were they might not have been in the top 5, but perhaps high enough for them to catch Sakurai's attention and decided to include them. I think it's possible he just saw them as the more interesting or more worthy characters out of the popular Ballot picks, but that's just a theory of mine though. I still think K. Rool and Ridley were in the top 5 for the Ballot because of their massive fan demand.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Speaking of that mii costume, what's everyone's interpretation of the lack of that costume in ultimate? It feels like a notable outlier to me considering the k rool outfit is still there. Considering the chocobo hat is gone too, does that mean the simplest answer is SE just nixed mii costumes completely?
Actually, every single third party costume is gone. It isn't exclusive to Geno. That being said, Geno was the only compensation Mii costume that came from a third party, iirc. It leaves him in a weird position. Honestly, it makes him a perfect candidate for a bundle of the old third party costumes + an actual fighter. Geno would be the poster man for it.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I think it's possible that maybe the chosen Ballot picks were cherry picked by Sakurai in were they might not have been in the top 5, but perhaps high enough for them to catch Sakurai's attention and decided to include them. I think it's possible he just saw them as the more interesting or more worthy characters out of the popular Ballot picks, but that's just a theory of mine though. I still think K. Rool and Ridley were in the top 5 for the Ballot because of their massive fan demand.
Or franchises in the case of Castlevania. Wouldn't be shocked if it was used to pick Assist Trophies like Krystal and Zero.

Actually, every single third party costume is gone. It isn't exclusive to Geno. That being said, Geno was the only compensation Mii costume that came from a third party, iirc. It leaves him in a weird position. Honestly, it makes him a perfect candidate for a bundle of the old third party costumes + an actual fighter. Geno would be the poster man for it.
Well, Lloyd, and Heihachi were kinda like that too (Heihachi was in Ryu's trailer) but Geno was certainly the one that stood out the most.

There's also my theory about the FLying Man being a stand in for a Mother rep but that's just a theory A GAME THEORY.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, Lloyd, and Heihachi were kinda like that too (Heihachi was in Ryu's trailer) but Geno was certainly the one that stood out the most.
Ohh, yeah, that's true. That being said, Geno was also the only one with a splash screen, and I doubt we would have gotten anything for him without the ballot. Lloyd isn't so out of the ball park and Heihachi is... pretty self-explanatory in his significance, I think.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

There's also my theory about the FLying Man being a stand in for a Mother rep but that's just a theory A GAME THEORY.
I just hope that the spirit isn't Geno's prize if he couldn't get in. That would be so lame, I would prefer to have the Mii costume back over just having a spirit of him.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I just hope that the spirit isn't Geno's prize if he couldn't get in. That would be so lame, I would prefer to have the Mii costume back over just having a spirit of him.
Yeah, when the game came out and was datamined, I was floored that Geno's Mii costume was missing. All third party ones were, of course, but it still threw me for a loop. Since he was a spirit, I totally thought we were getting the costume back, so I was like, "Well, at least we got more in this game than the last, and the Mii costume + the spirit is as close to playable Geno as we can get without playable Geno." With the spirit there and the costume missing, my head was just full of question marks and sadness. Even if they re-release the Mii costume again, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth because, oh, we have to repurchase it now. Great. Amazing. How about we purchase him as actual playable DLC instead?

benbron

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
5357-6463-4605
Damnit now I'm looking up the status of every wii u 3rd party costume. There's also tails, but Lloyd is particularly interesting in that he was published by Namco and isn't even a spirit now.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Damnit now I'm looking up the status of every wii u 3rd party costume. There's also tails, but Lloyd is particularly interesting in that he was published by Namco and isn't even a spirit now.
If your third-party series doesn't have a character by the time the related costumes are removed for the sequel, well…

But seriously though, you're lucky if you even get cameos in that situation.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Interesting thing about Tails is that he appears again in the background of GHZ, but Knuckles does as well and he has a Assist and was a Mii costume in Smash 4 as well. I just don't get the logic of that unless Tails is DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom