• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I parsed that as a Geno alternate costume for Cloud
I'm not even mad
Just imagine: “We still couldn’t get Geno in the game as a playable fighter, so to make up for it, we created Geno costumes for ALL THE FIGHTERS IN THE GAME!”

The sight of Ridley-Geno and Genondorf would certainly take a bit of the sting away... not that much, but still.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Something I wanted to change about my previous timeline:

-Sakurai approaches Square for Geno and Cloud for the base roster in Smash 4. Square only agrees if both are DLC. Nintendo shoots the idea down.

"It's gotta be one or the other."- Nintendo

"Ah nuts..." - Sakurai

Sakurai helps them work out a compromise by getting Cloud playable and Geno as a DLC costume.
Base roster ? It would honestly surprise me , especially after the fact that Cloud was picked because "A third of the request for a Square Enix (or FF ? I'm not sure.) rep were for Cloud" and it was After the smash ballot...

However , him trying to get both Cloud and Geno wouldn't surprise me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Unrelated to Smash but it's Geno's (my cat) fourth "birthday" today! Related to Smash, Smash 4 Wii U turns 4 tomorrow, isn't that wild?

Base roster ? It would honestly surprise me , especially after the fact that Cloud was picked because "A third of the request for a Square Enix (or FF ? I'm not sure.) rep were for Cloud" and it was After the smash ballot...

However , him trying to get both Cloud and Geno wouldn't surprise me.
Sakurai says that Cloud in Smash was his idea while Square tried to talk him into newer or more Nintendo relevant Final Fantasy characters.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/#more-5563

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
1. Probably not until release because all I know is that Nintendo has only approved a handful of them to be shown off before release.

2. Polar Panda's source mentioned three that would have been extremely hard to guess back when he made his statements in early September. Outside of these, some are really obvious if you've been paying attention.

3. Some sources have said one of PolarPanda's source's three but seemed to come to the conclusion by deduction rather than being flat out told. To be fair, it's a deduction a lot of people made but Panda's source was the first to make a definitive statement about it in passing.

4. Another hint: the bosses in the statement were not Subspace bosses.
A bit of a correction... anything he said regarding bosses is a bit less of a leak than Geno. When we discussed bosses, we were mostly speculating, with him mixing in some stuff he heard. Geno, on the other hand, is something he was directly told. Basically, the bosses were more like a "Given what I know, I personally believe ___ is a boss", and Geno was like "I was told directly that Geno is DLC."

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I was referring to comments they made on Smashboards, where they spoke very definitively (I respect their subtly). Either way, like I said, they're still super likely to be right based on what was shown yesterday. Even if they were guessing/speculating, they pretty much nailed it.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I was referring to comments they made on Smashboards, where they spoke very definitively (I respect their subtly). Either way, like I said, they're still super likely to be right based on what was shown yesterday. Even if they were guessing/speculating, they pretty much nailed it.
Oooh, in that regard, carry on haha. It looks like a new boss might have been accidentally shown?? In the new Japanese Smash trailer, there's a scene with a stage we've never seen at it looks like the burning area where we fight Beast Gannon from OoT...

WAIT A MINUTE, this makes sense on why he went back to the OoT design. hmmm
gannon fight.png

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
A bit of a correction... anything he said regarding bosses is a bit less of a leak than Geno. When we discussed bosses, we were mostly speculating, with him mixing in some stuff he heard. Geno, on the other hand, is something he was directly told. Basically, the bosses were more like a "Given what I know, I personally believe ___ is a boss", and Geno was like "I was told directly that Geno is DLC."
Did your source have any other characters told or hinted to him that might be DLC too or just Geno for now?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What we currently know:

Mario- Giga Bowser
Duck Hunt- Rathalos
Roy- Master Hand (maybe more?)
Wolf- Galleom
Simon/Richter- Dracula

Without spoiling anything, some are really obvious, some were hidden in plain sight, and some will be genuine surprises. Haven't heard anything about Cloud's but I'm keeping my expectations in check which sucks because by extension I'm not expecting Geno to get an original boss either if he gets in.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Did your source have any other characters told or hinted to him that might be DLC too or just Geno for now?
Just Geno for now. He hears rumors that go around in NoA, and all from this cycle have been completely true. That's why I'm waiting for him to hear more. He's been super busy, and the last thing he told me was about how NoA has been focusing on Let's Go so he probably wouldn't hear anything else until it's been out for AT LEAST a week. He heard Geno the morning after the final direct, nothing else since then. I'm just waiting to hear if he hears anything more about it, or hears something else.

What we currently know:

Mario- Giga Bowser
Duck Hunt- Rathalos
Wolf- Galleom
Simon/Richter- Dracula

Without spoiling anything, some are really obvious, some were hidden in plain sight, and some will be genuine surprises. Haven't heard anything about Cloud's but I'm keeping my expectations in check which sucks because by extension I'm not expecting Geno to get an original boss either if he gets in.
We know Captain Falcon has Giga Bowser too.

Last edited:

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
Did you guys see that new announcer/smash trailer thing? At minute 6:04, they show the Shulk with Geno icon, then the announcer says, "You can create a new type of online room called a Battle Arena! Set detailed rules and even use spirits." So, maybe Geno is a spirit based off of that bit there? I'm not sure though... what do you guys think of that?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Battle Arena is strangely inconsistent given that most of the characters have different art from their spirits with the exception of KK Slider

domriver

Smash Lord
1. Probably not until release because all I know is that Nintendo has only approved a handful of them to be shown off before release.

2. Polar Panda's source mentioned three that would have been extremely hard to guess back when he made his statements in early September. Outside of these, some are really obvious if you've been paying attention.

3. Some sources have said one of PolarPanda's source's three but seemed to come to the conclusion by deduction rather than being flat out told. To be fair, it's a deduction a lot of people made but Panda's source was the first to make a definitive statement about it in passing.

4. Another hint: the bosses in the statement were not Subspace bosses.
What we currently know:

Mario- Giga Bowser
Duck Hunt- Rathalos
Wolf- Galleom
Simon/Richter- Dracula

Interesting to know. Thanks for that. Some guesses here:
Sonic - Dr.Robotnik
Megaman - SIGMA :O (hopefully)
Bayonetta - Balder
Ness/Lucas - Porky
For Geno im hopin Smithy! or even Exor in some way!!!!!!!!!! lol make it happen Sakurai. lol so classic mode might be something to go through with! I hope the mini-victory videos are back with a nice victory shot at the end! :D
King K Rool - Donkey / Diddy
Shulk - Metal Face
All fire emblem characters- Giant Black Knight lol.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Huh. Liked the OP a week or two ago, still haven’t been added to the list myself. I definitely support Geno as well... if that wasn’t already quite clear.

Interesting to know. Thanks for that. Some guesses here:
Sonic - Dr.Robotnik
Megaman - SIGMA :O (hopefully)
Bayonetta - Balder
Ness/Lucas - Porky
For Geno im hopin Smithy! or even Exor in some way!!!!!!!!!! lol make it happen Sakurai. lol so classic mode might be something to go through with! I hope the mini-victory videos are back with a nice victory shot at the end! :D
King K Rool - Donkey / Diddy
Shulk - Metal Face
All fire emblem characters- Giant Black Knight lol.
Pretty sure that Wily’s what they’re going with for Mega Man, he’s already an AT with defeat animations.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Huh. Liked the OP a week or two ago, still haven’t been added to the list myself. I definitely support Geno as well... if that wasn’t already quite clear.

Pretty sure that Wily’s what they’re going with for Mega Man, he’s already an AT with defeat animations.
Whoops I didn’t realize we actually had to Like the thread to be added But yes me too

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have a theory that Isabelle and Palutena will have the same boss and that will be pretty funny if true. Pokemon and Fire Emblem are such wild frontiers because of their character representation that I'll be genuinely surprised if both don't get at least two original bosses. I'm also interested to see if Sakurai will go heavy handed with Sakurai bias on Kirby and Kid Icarus.

domriver

Smash Lord
I have a theory that Isabelle and Palutena will have the same boss and that will be pretty funny if true. Pokemon and Fire Emblem are such wild frontiers because of their character representation that I'll be genuinely surprised if both don't get at least two original bosses. I'm also interested to see if Sakurai will go heavy handed with Sakurai bias on Kirby and Kid Icarus.
uh duhh this is simple fatmanonice
Palutena / Medusa
Isabelle/ Incenaroar

Im expecting Sakurai's bias to play a part in metaknight kirby and king dedede's final bosses. lol

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's been noted that all of Isabelle's fights are against women so having Medusa (not confirmed by anyone, just my own speculation) as her final boss makes sense. To add to this, neither Medusa or Hades have turned up as Spirits yet. Metaknight's is probably going to be Galacta Knight because it's already a skin and that'd just have to adjust some stats to make it an appropriate boss.

Add in: I also want Medusa to be Isabelle's boss almost solely because of this:

square_up_by_ncmares-dcnwx6y.jpg

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Did you guys see that new announcer/smash trailer thing? At minute 6:04, they show the Shulk with Geno icon, then the announcer says, "You can create a new type of online room called a Battle Arena! Set detailed rules and even use spirits." So, maybe Geno is a spirit based off of that bit there? I'm not sure though... what do you guys think of that?
I think he mentionned Spirits as "you can use them in Arena battle" , not as online tokens.

However , Geno still beeing Shulk's icon on the menu... Something tell me he'll be a spirit... For now.

D

Deleted member

I think he mentionned Spirits as "you can use them in Arena battle" , not as online tokens.

However , Geno still beeing Shulk's icon on the menu... Something tell me he'll be a spirit... For now.
I think the Shulk player is just using Geno as a battle token rather than a spirit being equipped to him

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I think the Shulk player is just using Geno as a battle token rather than a spirit being equipped to him
Correct. We’ve more or less proven that online icons and spirits are two separate things.
I agree... But It's just a gut feeling I has.

Sakurai like to make weird decisions sometimes... Even though I don't think he'll do something like that for Geno.

However , if for some reasons he is a spirit , we shouldn't count him as deconfirmed. Also , as others say , him beeing the only Square Enix Spirit (except for Cloud) is so weird. Especially if Square want more money , and Cloud beeing in the base game ...

I don't want to get my hopes up , despise all the valids arguments we have. I really Hope we get an answer soon...

ZelDan

Smash Master
So, I think someone brought up that Dracula is Simon/Richter's boss in Classic, right? I so, I'm assuming Wily will be Megaman's Classic mode boss.

Also, assuming Geno makes it in, I wonder what his boss would be. I giant R.O.B or giant grey Megaman perhaps?

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I watched the trailer and the Geno is still being shown as a token. That segmant was about the battle arena in which you can set rules, which you can also use spirits as an added feature, not the focus.

Latyon

Smash Cadet
What is this leak everyone is talking about on here with Geno? Something about Panda leaking several bosses that turned out to be true? I keep seeing y'all mention it but no actual link to the leak itself

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seems likely at this point. I've also stumbled upon some secret footage of Square Enix trying to negotiate both Cloud and Geno being paid DLC in Smash Ultimate:

On that note, I found the most incriminating footage of the negotiations for SE spirits :4pacman::

Oooh, in that regard, carry on haha. It looks like a new boss might have been accidentally shown?? In the new Japanese Smash trailer, there's a scene with a stage we've never seen at it looks like the burning area where we fight Beast Gannon from OoT...

WAIT A MINUTE, this makes sense on why he went back to the OoT design. hmmm
View attachment 178728
This would almost make up for no pig Ganon.

How are we sure they won't just use Rayquaza for Pokemon again?

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Why do think cloud was Dlc last game? Because square enix wanted to make as much money as possible. They would make a lot less if Cloud was base roster if not counting his fan demand same with Geno's costume. Plus if counting that rumor about them trying to get him in as DLC again it makes sense that they pushed Geno to DLC, to benefit off making as much money as possible. When it comes to other companies asking to use their characters they love picking the DLC option hence why i said he makes more sense as DLC.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
What is this leak everyone is talking about on here with Geno? Something about Panda leaking several bosses that turned out to be true? I keep seeing y'all mention it but no actual link to the leak itself
A user on here(PolarPanda, not to be confused with the completely untrustworthy LeakyPandy), has a friend who has friends that work for NOA. According to them, there’s an internal rumor among staff there that Geno is DLC.

This source’s identity is not public, but has been verified by other members of this forum to be trustworthy, and has a 100% success rate for claims that they’ve made. Recently, some claims about bosses that this source has made(can’t say which ones, that would give their identity away) look to be coming true, hence the renewed interest.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Took this from the general thread. Does it mean anything? We know now there are Square Enix Spirits at least with Chrono being found.
It means there are SE spirits, but are the bare minimum, and/or buried under the metric tons of Nintendo stuff.

Also, someone on Smash staff clearly is making fun of people complaining about swordsmen.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Took this from the general thread. Does it mean anything? We know now there are Square Enix Spirits at least with Chrono being found.
Raises DQ’s chances quite a bit knowing that Armor Project is involved, but I still think that the composer and its general unpopularity outside Japan will be that series’ undoing.

Still, we haven’t actually seen a Geno Spirit yet, so there’s still a good amount of hope left.

D

Deleted member

Oh no....

Add in: Actually, never mind. If he is just a spirit, then it means that Sakurai and Nintendo weren't able to negotiate with the composer. They still negotiated with both Square Enix and Armor Project...

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, I think someone brought up that Dracula is Simon/Richter's boss in Classic, right? I so, I'm assuming Wily will be Megaman's Classic mode boss.

Also, assuming Geno makes it in, I wonder what his boss would be. I giant R.O.B or giant grey Megaman perhaps?
Galleom, obviously.

I mean, his face kinda makes him look like a Smithy Gang weapon, you know.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh neat, Crono’s a Spirit? I guess that disconfirms him for DLC, but that was always a long shot and I’m glad to see him acknowledged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom