• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Man, I've been having so much fun with here since the starling picture. Even if nothing comes of it besides amazing sh*tposts, I'm glad. Really brought life back into this place.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man, I've been having so much fun with here since the starling picture. Even if nothing comes of it besides amazing sh*tposts, I'm glad. Really brought life back into this place.
Yeah, it's been a tough and sad time to be a Geno fan, but this made the thread a lot more exciting, even if I doubt anything related to Geno will come of it. The more I keep thinking about it, the more I keep thinking it's something related to Three Houses (black bird on top of a house, Edelgard is the head of the Black Eagles house), but what? We already know about the bulk of the game + the DLC that'll be coming. Plus, as multiple people have said, unless we got some kind of weird, freak bonus DLC, I can't see it being Smash either...

I'm just trying to think of black birds in media here. Another option I see as likely is more Pokemon info. A European bird makes me think that we might get some more SwSh info. In terms of other black birds, another thought hit me: Raphael the Raven. It's a large stretch, though, but possibly another thing to consider if it's Mario-related. I just don't know. Again, it could be just nothing, for all we know.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah same. The overall tone being thoughtful, hype, and humorous is way more pleasant to be around than abject negativity and defeatism.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I honestly want a Fighter Pass of Shonen Jump characters being Goku, Luffy, Jotaro, Midoriya and... well I guess the only other choice it could be is Naruto. Like having those five in Smash Bros would be KILLER. If I ever get a magic lamp that's going to be my first wish.
What?! You want Shonen Jump fighters in Smash without evoking Yugi Muto?! Or Seto Kaiba?! Screw the rules! He's got money! And dragons! Lots of em!

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
What?! You want Shonen Jump fighters in Smash without evoking Yugi Muto?! Or Seto Kaiba?! Screw the rules! He's got money! And dragons! Lots of em!
Oh I'll be more than willing to switch out Naruto for either Yugi or Kaiba. Bring in the King of Games!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just some of my condensed thoughts at the moment:

-The picture hints have always been for news announced during Directs.

-Too soon for a general one so specific is much more likely.

-We've deduced that, based on the time frame, Fire Emblem, Smash, or an entirely new game are the main candidates. Fire Emblem has been covered to death and a new game this close to after E3 (especially one that warrants its own Direct) would be really odd, making Smash the most likely.

-If it is an actual Smash Direct and not a Hero showcase, a big piece of news will be dropped. Every single Smash Direct has had at least one new character announcement, making this the most likely big news from the hypothetical Direct.

-If a character announcement happens, there's no hard rule that it has to be #4; it could just as easily be another a la carte character like Mrs. PP.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
https://www.reddit.com/r/BanjoKazoo...ndo_replies_to_banjokazooie_thank_you_letter/

Not sure how many people here have seen it but the person who organized the huge Thank You package/letter regarding Banjo-Kazooie just got a reply from Nintendo. They didn’t specifically name BK but they gave a pretty long response which is cool.

Of course this is very much something we should do if Geno hypothetically gets in someday but I also wonder if it’d be worth putting something together in the near future to send to Nintendo, Sakurai, and SE about how much we love the character and SMRPG, and of our hopes to see him back someday. Nothing demanding or entitled if course. Just something that shows our passion for Geno in a positive way.

Maybe this is something Operation Starfall is already working on but I thought it was worth bringing up.

Attachments

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I guess the bird could relate to Three Houses, but its feathers aren’t black like some people suggest so idk. I notice more brown and a bit of green like starlings on Google images.

Just imagine if the picture was of an egret and a snake. :olimar:

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I guess the bird could relate to Three Houses, but its feathers aren’t black like some people suggest so idk. I notice more brown and a bit of green like starlings on Google images.
Oooh, it's really hard to tell with the lighting.

Bird on house... European starling... brown and green bird... Hey, Farfetch'd is a brown bird with some green in its scheme (its leek), and didn't one Pokemon leak that got Yamper and other stuff right mention a Farfetch'd evolution? Would it be based in part off of ducks like the original + some starling influence? Hmmmm...

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
https://www.reddit.com/r/BanjoKazoo...ndo_replies_to_banjokazooie_thank_you_letter/

Not sure how many people here have seen it but the person who organized the huge Thank You package/letter regarding Banjo-Kazooie just got a reply from Nintendo. They didn’t specifically name BK but they gave a pretty long response which is cool.

Of course this is very much something we should do if Geno hypothetically gets in someday but I also wonder if it’d be worth putting something together in the near future to send to Nintendo, Sakurai, and SE about how much we love the character and SMRPG, and of our hopes to see him back someday. Nothing demanding or entitled if course. Just something that shows our passion for Geno in a positive way.

Maybe this is something Operation Starfall is already working on but I thought it was worth bringing up.
We should do this for Geno if he ever got in but rather that be soon or in the very very distant future I would like to see us try and do that for them.

I hope we can do it soon and for Geno to be in soon but I don't know.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Bird on house... European starling... brown and green bird... Hey, Farfetch'd is a brown bird with some green in its scheme (its leek), and didn't one Pokemon leak that got Yamper and other stuff right mention a Farfetch'd evolution? Would it be based in part off of ducks like the original + some starling influence? Hmmmm...
I had that idea as well, due to the “Sirfetch’d” rumors of a new Farfetch’d form, maybe a Gigamax form.

Seems like an odd thing to hint at though, tbh.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Just some of my condensed thoughts at the moment:

-The picture hints have always been for news announced during Directs.

-Too soon for a general one so specific is much more likely.

-We've deduced that, based on the time frame, Fire Emblem, Smash, or an entirely new game are the main candidates. Fire Emblem has been covered to death and a new game this close to after E3 (especially one that warrants its own Direct) would be really odd, making Smash the most likely.

-If it is an actual Smash Direct and not a Hero showcase, a big piece of news will be dropped. Every single Smash Direct has had at least one new character announcement, making this the most likely big news from the hypothetical Direct.

-If a character announcement happens, there's no hard rule that it has to be #4; it could just as easily be another a la carte character like Mrs. PP.
I just got an idea from this, but I am not sure if it holds water.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
That's really cool about the thank-you letter concerning Banjo-Kazooie. We should definitely do something similar if we can.

In the meantime I've been getting a kick out of these doofy edits I keep putting together.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I feel like the picture would have flat out been a duck if that were the case.I don't blame you for going this direction though because the Discord tossed around the idea last night of whether or not it was possibly Pokemon related.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
If they add a Pokemon rep, I'm betting it's Grookey's final evolution. We have a water starter (:ultgreninja:) and fire starter (:ultincineroar:) from the two previous generations, adding a grass starter makes sense. I also can't see them NOT promoting Pokemon with DLC.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
If they add a Pokemon rep, I'm betting it's Grookey's final evolution. We have a water starter (:ultgreninja:) and fire starter (:ultincineroar:) from the two previous generations, adding a grass starter makes sense. I also can't see them NOT promoting Pokemon with DLC.
This is one of the reasons why I think a second Fighters Pass isn’t that out there. There are so many other potential characters they could bring in to promote first party franchises that would fit into what SSBU has established. If the SwSh /vp/ leak is true a drum playing grass-type primate would have some potentially interesting mechanics as a fighter.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Lets hear it
Okay, so if it is Smash related, I don't think it would be a new unique character. It's far too soon for that. But rather than some sort of bonus character, what if it had something to do with an echo pack? It would make sense for them to save something like that for after E3, as I don't see an opportunity where they could have dropped that news. Smash only really had two major appearances direct wise, and that was the reveals. Such news could also be the perfect way to bring more big reveals to a potential Smash direct.

I won't lie, this next part goes right into my wants and biases, as I have been supporting and speculating this next character a ton, but I feel like there might be a connection. I have always felt that an echo pack has been in the works after the Jane file that was with Joker began to connect to Kasumi. Sakurai almost certainly knew about P5R and Kasumi due to the grappling hook Joker has, as that becomes a major gameplay element in P5R and is something learned thanks to Kasumi herself. The Jane model showed signs of being in the later stages of completion when it was found, so scrapping it entirely on a DLC budget seems odd to me. I also doubt that it was an alt, as not only is Kasumi rather different from Joker personality wise, but she majors in what is pretty much the opposite spell type, bless. There is no way she could perform eiha canon wise, and Sakurai would know that. So, because of that, I think Kasumi was being crafted as an echo character from the very start, and they had her as an alt to save on time and money. No need for an entirely new model when you are already working on the model they will echo.

Now, is she the Starling? I am not entirely sure, but it may be possible. Could be her codename, and she does have some angelic elements to her character that could tie to the whole "messenger to the gods" thing. There was another party member who named himself after a bird(Crow), but I am not sure if that helps or hinders. Not the most confident in this part of the theory, but I guess that is why you should bring this sort of stuff up.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I personally think it's too soon for a Pokemon Direct. This game has already had 2 while, in comparison, X and Y had 2, Sun and Moon had 1, and Ultra Sun and Moon had 1. They also dropped a ton of new information last week. If it was just another info drop, I don't think we would be seeing otter posts or the starling picture hint.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Okay, so if it is Smash related, I don't think it would be a new unique character. It's far too soon for that. But rather than some sort of bonus character, what if it had something to do with an echo pack? It would make sense for them to save something like that for after E3, as I don't see an opportunity where they could have dropped that news. Smash only really had two major appearances direct wise, and that was the reveals. Such news could also be the perfect way to bring more big reveals to a potential Smash direct.

I won't lie, this next part goes right into my wants and biases, as I have been supporting and speculating this next character a ton, but I feel like there might be a connection. I have always felt that an echo pack has been in the works after the Jane file that was with Joker began to connect to Kasumi. Sakurai almost certainly knew about P5R and Kasumi due to the grappling hook Joker has, as that becomes a major gameplay element in P5R and is something learned thanks to Kasumi herself. The Jane model showed signs of being in the later stages of completion when it was found, so scrapping it entirely on a DLC budget seems odd to me. I also doubt that it was an alt, as not only is Kasumi rather different from Joker personality wise, but she majors in what is pretty much the opposite spell type, bless. There is no way she could perform eiha canon wise, and Sakurai would know that. So, because of that, I think Kasumi was being crafted as an echo character from the very start, and they had her as an alt to save on time and money. No need for an entirely new model when you are already working on the model they will echo.

Now, is she the Starling? I am not entirely sure, but it may be possible. Could be her codename, and she does have some angelic elements to her character that could tie to the whole "messenger to the gods" thing. There was another party member who named himself after a bird(Crow), but I am not sure if that helps or hinders. Not the most confident in this part of the theory, but I guess that is why you should bring this sort of stuff up.
While I'm not against a Echo fighters pass, I highly doubt we would get news of it before number 5 is released

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I don't know why people keep jumping back to it meaning something to do with Three Houses. What else could there possibly be to hint about with that game outside of DLC that we are more then sure it will be getting anyway?

And I highly doubt if we are getting a first party rep it will be yet another Fire Emblem rep.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
While I'm not against a Echo fighters pass, I highly doubt we would get news of it before number 5 is released
Why not? If we don't have a unique fighter pass after this one, I doubt people would be happy with the final bit of DLC being echo fighters, especially if expectations are set for unique characters. Makes sense to say this sort of thing ahead of time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't know why people keep jumping back to it meaning something to do with Three Houses. What else could there possibly be to hint about with that game outside of DLC that we are more then sure it will be getting anyway?
It's due out next week and that's basically it. The next major game after Fire Emblem: Three Hoes that Nintendo has in the pipeline is Kink's Awakening and that's not coming until late September.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Could be Geno related. IDK its weird that this time around costumes arent being promoted the same time character reveals are done. I thought that was the case for the previous game. If that is indeed the case, the reason they aren't displaying costumes may have something to do with a reveal later on down the road.

Also Id like to note that I wouldn't consider Hero's inclusion to be deterrent for Geno's debut. Square has way more to gain from a character they actively use and control. So if any character were to have been agreed on it would have been somebody iconic or from an active series. I will say that Hero's addition does not look good for Sora's fanbase though, especially with that rpg quick menu hero has.

On a side note, I believe these Starlings only appear black, but if im not mistaken they have color scheme that is somewhat reminiscent of someone.

1563294354384.png

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's due out next week and that's basically it. The next major game after Fire Emblem: Three Hoes that Nintendo has in the pipeline is Kink's Awakening and that's not coming until late September.
That would be quite the twist on a classic.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Would just like to take the time to point out that every non-Geno explanation for the bird is much weaker than the Geno explanation.

Not to say that it makes Geno likely, but it's nice to see how far people need to reach to take this hint to be something else other than our starling boi. We out here changing the bird's species to have it potentially fit other characters/ideas

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Would just like to take the time to point out that every non-Geno explanation for the bird is much weaker than the Geno explanation.

Not to say that it makes Geno likely, but it's nice to see how far people need to reach to take this hint to be something else other than our starling boi. We out here changing the bird's species to have it potentially fit other characters/ideas
Like surely if it was meant to refer to a duck or a black eagle he would have just used a picture of a duck or a black eagle

It'd be like hinting at Banjo with a red panda

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Why not? If we don't have a unique fighter pass after this one, I doubt people would be happy with the final bit of DLC being echo fighters, especially if expectations are set for unique characters. Makes sense to say this sort of thing ahead of time.
Still doesn't change the fact that they don't want to get a head of themself. There is a reason they said Summer/Fall with Banjo and The Hero and not exact date. It would also come off as weird if they revealed a character thats apart of a pack that comes out later when we don't even know the remaining 2 for the current one. Timing is the key when it comes to marketing, and market it right now would not be optimal

Firox

Smash Master
I personally think it's too soon for a Pokemon Direct. This game has already had 2 while, in comparison, X and Y had 2, Sun and Moon had 1, and Ultra Sun and Moon had 1. They also dropped a ton of new information last week. If it was just another info drop, I don't think we would be seeing otter posts or the starling picture hint.
Well at the rate Gamefreak is trying to do damage control, I could totally see them having another Direct....

"Some of you may still be disgruntled that we cut half the pokemon from the game, but look on the bright side; aren't those models we ported over from the 3DS just beautiful?" (an aid whispers in the presenter's ear) "Oh, I mean, we worked very hard to build these 3DS models from scratch. See? See?! Those animated butt wiggles are so lifelike! It feels like Yamper is about to jump right out the screen, doesn't it? And check out those wide open fields! So wide...and open...and devoid of life....oh, and don't forget about the new super special awesome Betamax mechanic! Who needs mega evolutions, or strategy, or any of that flashy crap when you can have a giant Pidgey!? Holy ****, haven't you always dreamed of a GIANT PIDGEY?! Well, BAM! Wish granted!....(the presenter fixes his hair) So please, look forward to more great surprises and enjoy our new company slogan....GOTTA BUY EM ALL!"

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I also don't think that bird picture is related to Fire Emblem Three Houses. Out of the three house members one of them is call the Black Eagles. If this picture were to relate to Fire Emblem Three Houses I'm pretty sure a picture of an eagle would've been a better fit.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Personally I don’t think that it’s too soon for us to see Fighter #4 in some form, simply because of Sakurai’s previous comments on the Fighters Pass. I don’t remember exactly where he said it, but he talked about how he doesn’t like offering the pass without consumers knowing what they’re getting before buying it. Revealing characters at a quicker pace could be something that Sakurai wants, and also could be the reason he didn’t know if he could do CG cutscenes for every DLC reveal.

Keep in mind that Joker was revealed December 6th (I think?) and not released until April 17th. It’s not too unusual that Sakurai would show of a character who is farther away than we might have originally thought.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Still doesn't change the fact that they don't want to get a head of themself. There is a reason they said Summer/Fall with Banjo and The Hero and not exact date. It would also come off as weird if they revealed a character thats apart of a pack that comes out later when we don't even know the remaining 2 for the current one. Timing is the key when it comes to marketing, and market it right now would not be optimal
I don't see how the whole release date thing has anything to do with this factor. I think they could pull off an echo pack at this time, as unique characters and echo's are two different things, thus it would step on toes less.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Disciples of a higher authority, I'm banking on Geno as of now. I've got no knowledge nor any of the sort but, I just got a gut feeling that it's time; a similar gut feeling to the days approaching E3 2019 (and Sakurai blessed us with Banjo and Kazooie's reveal). I'M GOING ALL IN!!!!

EDIT: I'M READY FOR THE SALT (if it comes)!!!

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Oye, I've been lurking around for a bit and it is amazing how the Geno discussion still continues and there is at least some hope. Of course, I will keep hoping but I can't go all-in anymore ... too many burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom