• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
The main problem is that Wolf is a veteran, and I'm guessing that Sakurai wanted to focus more on newcomers for the final DLC character slots. Questionable perhaps, but it's the most likely reason for why Corrin and Bayonetta made the cut.
I feel uncomfortable saying this because I REALLY feel like I'm just grasping at straws out of desperate hope. But IIRC he said last "new" fighter.

Maybe he does have something planned for Wolf with the new Starfox game.

Perhaps it's just me refusing to wrap my head around the fact that Wolf didn't make it in despite everything I had seen.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It was any case you weren't aware. The series was in limbo before FE6 saved the day.

I'm not going to buy that argument one bit because there were so many characters that should have gotten in over Corrin. I wonder just who exactly this majority you speak of is because I didn't see people clamoring for them in Smash considering the game hasn't even been released outside of Japan.

Or maybe you just don't want to accept that the situations are different.
Oh no. A few years without a game. If FE6 was that big of a revival, it wouldn't need Smash.

Look at Fates's sales. It's possible that many people want Corrin at the very least. Then, you take everyone hyped for Fates outside Japan, and finally, you look at people who don't like Fates due to it's Japanese pandering, who are genuinely still interested. And the casuals who think 'Oh cool! I can get this Corrin person who transforms into a dragon!' Instead of being upset you didn't get what you want, look at what you can do. Buy it, or not buy it. It's not like Nintendo will suddenly cancel Corrin because one person on the internet didn't like them

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Yeah my main sour point is Bayonetta's inclusion; I'm mostly indifferent about Corrin's inclusion.
Oh, trust me, I'm not a fan of Bayonetta either. From her design to her moveset especially, I do not like her at all. She just doesn't fit. Also, I'm still puzzled if she actually the ballot.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah my main sour point is Bayonetta's inclusion; I'm mostly indifferent about Corrin's inclusion.
I would feel the opposite if Kamui was not one of my sister's most wanted characters. I am hype for her, and she is hype for me. That being said, I cannot believe Bayonetta actually won the ballot. I support her, yet I still feel as though something shady happened with the results to be completely honest.

I have always been a fan of Sakurai's character selections... I am just not a fan of much else. No offense intended to him, but I do hope that he decides against returning for the next entry. I would be interested in seeing another vision.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Seeing as those two are perhaps the most requested within speculation communities, I am sure that Smashboards, Reddit, and the like would not have too many complaints. That being said, a lot of people who do not keep up with indies would certainly be confused. I would be a little, teeny, tiny bit salty myself whereas currently I am happy. I could be happier, but hey!
But people are saying these two don't deserve to be in Smash. Two Indies would inflame the internet as the last ones because they definitely would not deserve to be in Smash.

What Sakurai his group should've have done is been a capitalistic freak and made the last characters ones they know would sell like hotcakes.

It'll be interesting to see how the ballot votes that made bay the winner translates to sell. I think she might not sell more than the last ones. Especially Ryu who, although spoiled people definitely wanted.

I can imagine if he released Snake or Sora, hate or not for their inclusion, everyone would purchase simply because of their popularity. Bayonneta...ehhh not so much

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Everything you've been tracking doesn't actually represent the ballot as a whole.
Seems reasonable, there's no way for me to guess what other countries voted for, aside from various polls I had seen. I never saw Bayonetta high on them, so she was ever on my radar, but who knows if they were only polls focused on the west or what.

Still want to see the results, at least to see how characters placed (please tell me Isaac and K. Rool were higher than Goku/Shrek), and how the winner was picked.

Also, on another note, was Cloud part of the ballot?

A few open questions for the more hypothetical side of things.
What makes Bayonetta a bad pick? Sales? That's it, huh? She's 2nd party like Shulk, so what's the big deal?
Do you think Corrin be as much of a "waste of a spot" if Lucina and Roy never happened?
How much bigger do you think the whole of Europe is than America and Japan combined in regards to Smash players?
If you could pick any character to replace Corrin OTHER THAN your ballot pick, who would it be?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Seems reasonable, there's no way for me to guess what other countries voted for, aside from various polls I had seen. I never saw Bayonetta high on them, so she was ever on my radar, but who knows if they were only polls focused on the west or what.

Still want to see the results, at least to see how characters placed (please tell me Isaac and K. Rool were higher than Goku/Shrek), and how the winner was picked.

Also, on another note, was Cloud part of the ballot?
Nope. Only character from ballot was Bayonetta, anyone else was solely Sakurai's choosing.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Another thing that infurates me is the length of time it's been since this broadcast and the June broadcast. All these months of speculation, hype, and excitment was all for this and I think that's probably the thing that bothers me the most.
Oh no. A few years without a game. If FE6 was that big of a revival, it wouldn't need Smash.

Look at Fates's sales. It's possible that many people want Corrin at the very least. Then, you take everyone hyped for Fates outside Japan, and finally, you look at people who don't like Fates due to it's Japanese pandering, who are genuinely still interested. And the casuals who think 'Oh cool! I can get this Corrin person who transforms into a dragon!' Instead of being upset you didn't get what you want, look at what you can do. Buy it, or not buy it. It's not like Nintendo will suddenly cancel Corrin because one person on the internet didn't like them
That's why it was one of the best selling FE game in Japan?

I don't give a flying crap about what they can do. There was potential for so many different characters that people wanted and requested and we ended up with them. Fanservice my pasty butt because this was the exact opposite of that. No K. Rool. No Wolf. None of those great characters. Just friggin. :4corrin::4bayonetta:whom at least the later is sorta justified but was put in the worst predicament of being the final DLC character.

I'm not gonna go in circles here. I'm just sick of this really. Especially having to go back and forth with you which is the biggest nuisance of them all no offense.

If you could pick any character to replace Corrin OTHER THAN your ballot pick, who would it be?
I would have freaking anyone. Including the Inklings who I mentioned before i'm no fan of. At least with them being in the game I can be happy for the fans who wanted them and understand how having them in the game is a benefit.

Last edited:

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
I'm also thinking that Bayonetta isn't a good choice....

Little children play this game...exposing them to a character like Bayonetta isn't good...

Also, for all of you who would say that Samus is just as bad; Samus doesn't dance in provocative ways...

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
They also said worldwide leader of realizable nominees. It does not she was ranked 1st worldwide. They can say any of the characters ahead of her are not realizable. We will probably never know the real voting on this

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I feel uncomfortable saying this because I REALLY feel like I'm just grasping at straws out of desperate hope. But IIRC he said last "new" fighter.

Maybe he does have something planned for Wolf with the new Starfox game.

Perhaps it's just me refusing to wrap my head around the fact that Wolf didn't make it in despite everything I had seen.
Trust me, I'm holding out for that, too, even if it is a lost cause. Fortunately, Wolf is the ONLY character who still has a shadow of a chance of still being DLC. After all, we're at three veterans and four newcomers, so maybe Sakurai will add him to even out the roster? Unfortunately, being stuck by lightning whilst underground is probably more likely at this point.

Morbi

Scavenger
But people are saying these two don't deserve to be in Smash. Two Indies would inflame the internet as the last ones because they definitely would not deserve to be in Smash.

What Sakurai his group should've have done is been a capitalistic freak and made the last characters ones they know would sell like hotcakes.

It'll be interesting to see how the ballot votes that made bay the winner translates to sell. I think she might not sell more than the last ones. Especially Ryu who, although spoiled people definitely wanted.

I can imagine if he released Snake or Sora, hate or not for their inclusion, everyone would purchase simply because of their popularity. Bayonneta...ehhh not so much
To be fair, I am horrible at predicting reactions. After I saw Kamui and Bayonetta, I thought that everyone was going to be happy for a day or two before they realized that this is all we are getting. I honestly did not expect many complaints at first. But I started watching a couple of reaction videos and, of course, I came back to "this."

But yeah, I want to see DLC sales figures. I have a feeling a lot of people who voted for Bayonetta do not even play the game. When the ballot first opened, which is where the vast majority of votes should have come from, people were most likely to vote for veterans as their omission should have been fresh in their minds. After that, if results shifted, I expected the hardcore community to influence those over the remaining five months.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Little children play this game...exposing them to a character like Bayonetta isn't good...

Also, for all of you who would say that Samus is just as bad; Samus doesn't dance in provocative ways...
They seem to have toned Bayo down, she even gets a dress when using Wicked Weaves
Another thing that infurates me is the length of time it's been since this broadcast and the June broadcast. All these months of speculation, hype, and excitment was all for this and I think that's probably the thing that bothers me the most.

That's why it was one of the best selling FE game in Japan?

I don't give a flying crap about what they can do. There was potential for so many different characters that people wanted and requested and we ended up with them. Fanservice my pasty butt because this was the exact opposite of that. No K. Rool. No Wolf. None of those great characters. Just friggin. :4corrin::4bayonetta:whom at least the later is sorta justified but was put in the worst predicament of being the final DLC character.

I'm not gonna go in circles here. I'm just sick of this really. Especially having to go back and forth with you which is the biggest nuisance of them all no offense.

I would have freaking anyone. Including the Inklings who I mentioned before i'm no fan of. At least with them being in the game I can be happy for the fans who wanted them and understand how having them in the game is a benefit.
FE6 had the same reason Awakening was successful. MARKETING. Something FE9-12 lacked.
If you don't want it going in circles, stop blindly hating a character, but look at the character as a whole. Look at the trailer, observe the moveset, look at that and decide whether or not it looks fun

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Nope. Only character from ballot was Bayonetta, anyone else was solely Sakurai's choosing.
OK, thank you. I've been hearing mixed reports.

Anyways, part of me still doesn't believe Sakurai. People here are bringing up that he said last new fighter. Does this mean that Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers etc are still up in the running? And who knows, if he does decide to give us one of these, maybe he'll give us a little 'treat,' the veteran, and one more newcomer as a "runner up" from the ballot, just to say goodbye.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

We live in a time where 8 year olds play Call of Duty and more grown up people Pokémon tho
Having a "provocative" character (that was toned down) isn't a big deal anyway; nobody complained about Mai Shiranui in KOF despite many played the arcades as kids.

Also she's a DLC so parents that have small children playing Smash can opt for not downloading her.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Look, I wanted another series' character. I wanted Wolf back. But I got over that and love how unique the characters are. Bayonetta is similar to the idea of a character who can summon attacks(think Jin from Marvel VS Capcom). It's great. Corrin is a freaking dragon. He's not Ridley, but that's okay.

It's no use to dwell on it and constantly be salty.

Also, there's a theory that Tumblr was responsible for some of the Ballot votes and that's why Bayonetta got in. I don't buy into this myself, though.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
You don't honestly believe Bayonetta won the vote do you? Sakurai is lying. Where was that silent majority when it came to buying her game? Millions of people must have voted in this contest. It's statistically impossible. I don't believe the ballot was legit at all

Also, for them to add another Fire Emblem newcomer when we already had Robin, something is strange. Sakurai was defending that side game in Fates where you can pet your units in, remember? Then he was apart of the 25th anniversary interview recently. He is so obviously biased. Anyone but another Fire Emblem character and no one would be upset. It could have been anyone, honestly, even Waluigi

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You don't honestly believe Bayonetta won the vote do you? Sakurai is lying. Where was that silent majority when it came to buying her game? Millions of people must have voted in this contest. It's statistically impossible. I don't believe the ballot was legit at all

Also, for them to add another Fire Emblem newcomer when we already had Robin, something is strange. Sakurai was defending that side game in Fates where you can pet your units in, remember? Then he was apart of the 25th anniversary interview recently. He is so obviously biased. Anyone but another Fire Emblem character and no one would be upset. It could have been anyone, honestly, even Waluigi
Well... At least you got Geno

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, I decided that i'm never in a quadrillion years going to use my money to buy any of the 2 characters that were shown off today. The only character that i'm going to buy is Cloud and maybe some of the new and old Mii Fighter Costumes. The other 2 characters can go to hell because that's where they belong. Also at the bottom of the tier list so I won't be disgraced with having to see them in competitive matches.

Call me salty or in the vocal minority because I really don't give a flying crap. Gonna by Cloud now and that's pretty much it for DLC and me. I'm out.

Morbi

Scavenger
OK, thank you. I've been hearing mixed reports.

Anyways, part of me still doesn't believe Sakurai. People here are bringing up that he said last new fighter. Does this mean that Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers etc are still up in the running? And who knows, if he does decide to give us one of these, maybe he'll give us a little 'treat,' the veteran, and one more newcomer as a "runner up" from the ballot, just to say goodbye.
I would not get my hopes up, that would result in, well, "this." It is a possibility of course, but people who try and misconstrue Sakurai's statements usually do not get what they want.

Maybe Bayonetta was a troll character vote? People voted for her just to see if Sakurai would do it... Maybe.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm curious if any of you actually took a ****ing look at Corrin. All everyone's doing is whining about the franchise and 'character using a certain weapon in a Japanese artstyle'. Because god forbid the most popular weapon being used in fictional media. It's also UNACCEPTABLE that the Japanese make something with a Japanese artstyle.
It still doesn't change the fact that Fire Emblem not only has the same number of reps as Pokémon, but got THREE newcomers while Pokémon only got one, which isn't fair. Sakurai kind of screwed over one of Nintendo's biggest series just to cater to his own bias. It's an insult to even suggest that Fire Emblem is anywhere near the level of Pokémon, a series that I feel deserves more reps than Waifu Emblem.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, I am horrible at predicting reactions. After I saw Kamui and Bayonetta, I thought that everyone was going to be happy for a day or two before they realized that this is all we are getting. I honestly did not expect many complaints at first. But I started watching a couple of reaction videos and, of course, I came back to "this."

But yeah, I want to see DLC sales figures. I have a feeling a lot of people who voted for Bayonetta do not even play the game. When the ballot first opened, which is where the vast majority of votes should have come from, people were most likely to vote for veterans as their omission should have been fresh in their minds. After that, if results shifted, I expected the hardcore community to influence those over the remaining five months.
That's the other problem. Maybe the votes should have turned public while the ballot was open after every month, so we could have prevented this or had known the candidates. The more I think about it the more I think about how different this could have been executed.

Right now we could have had King K Rool, Isaac or whoever. Too late and we have to wait years for a possible sequel

Last edited:

sandslash

Smash Apprentice

They never said she was the clear winner though, it says underneath the numbers she was of the realized characters. That could disqualified 10 other people who knows. We PRb will never know.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The worst part about this is the anti-Bayo tbh. I've already seen people claim 'They lied!' 'It's a conspiracy!'. Why would a ****ing business lie with their results, especially Nintendo of all people?
It still doesn't change the fact that Fire Emblem not only has the same number of reps as Pokémon, but got THREE newcomers while Pokémon only got one, which isn't fair. Sakurai kind of screwed over one of Nintendo's biggest series just to cater to his own bias. It's an insult to even suggest that Fire Emblem is anywhere near the level of Pokémon, a series that I feel deserves more reps than Waifu Emblem.
One shouldn't count as Lucina is the exact same as Marth. Roy was brought back by popular demand. Fire Emblem's got MUCH less overall representation than other franchise. 'It's not fair' Boo hoo, if you get rid of every newcomer we got that I didn't want, Bayonetta would be the only one there alongside Mega Man

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Well, I decided that i'm never in a quadrillion years going to use my money to buy any of the 2 characters that were shown off today. The only character that i'm going to buy is Cloud and maybe some of the new and old Mii Fighter Costumes. The other 2 characters can go to hell because that's where they belong. Also at the bottom of the tier list so I won't be disgraced with having to see them in competitive matches.

Call me salty or in the vocal minority because I really don't give a flying crap. Gonna by Cloud now and that's pretty much it for DLC and me. I'm out.
Nice knowing ya.

I feel the bigger problem isn't Sakurai but the Pokemon Company itself, they're extremely protective of Pokemon and if they don't want it, it doesn't go in. If anything I feel Pokemon might be the toughest to actually get into Smash because of them.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
People who voted for more waifus or because of "Smash is a sausage fest" is probably the majority who voted for her.

The silent majority was those people, not specifically Bayonneta fans but the ones who put Bayonneta because of those reasons

Zink Imp

Smash Ace

I voted for her.

A lot.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not that simple. The Pokemon Company and Gamefreak have to approve of everything Pokemon-wise(and another company, but I forgot who it was). It's easy to work with one company, but 3 at once? Sakurai can only do as much as they allow. Also, there's nothing to suggest we were getting any more than Greninja as a newcomer. Squirtle and Ivysaur were intended to return under Pokemon Trainer with Charizard. That was it.

FancySmash

Smash Lord

Maybe. I'll admit that even still, Bayonetta is rather strange as a ballot winner, but it's still a character with popularity regardless. However, I'm sure there are other things at play here. Perhaps some of the characters we've been thinking of (Isaac/Rool) just have had their day. I suppose in the end recency really does play a key. So, even if they were higher in some way, Sakurai could still say no to them due to being characters a young generation might not remember.

In a way, choosing recency as a justification to a character inclusion, at least for Nintendo, is sad. They've shown us with Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and Game & Watch that older characters do matter to them, but I guess there's a certain time period of where the classicness ends. Hopefully one day they'll realize that adding characters just because they are more recent or relevant isn't better than adding one with plenty of history, but isn't exactly retro yet...

Corrin... I've got nothing. Sakurai was just trying to drum up sales for the FE game through including 'em. That's all I can think. They're still too recent to get major fan support.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Also, just want to say that I'm not so much salty about her herself, I'm more puzzled how she won, considering everything I've been tracking has been Isaac/K. Rool.
from what i tracked, it was Wolf, K. Rool and Wonder Red.
though this was early on in the ballot, and was pretty much Reddit, and my social circles. but hey, majority wins, so despite the loudest corners of smashboards saying this was lackluster or it should have been "the character i voted on" or "muh predictions"... people have to realize other people in the world exist.

______

a message to everyone:
you guys and girls may not want to hear this. this ballot isn't about what you want or expect, it is about what everyone wants. no matter WHO WON, someone will get mad or salty as fk. it may not be you, but the person who voted for bayonetta who wound up to say "EFF SMASH, EFF NINTENDO, AND EFF YOU" when one of YOUR top choices won.

everyone that is "puzzled", to me, is self centered or introspective to a point where they don't consider forces beyond their social circles.
just because Etika's fan poll lacked bayonetta or so and so's fan poll didn't yield bayonetta to the path of victory doesn't mean she didn't win in the end... she was in the top 5 for USA, remember that. she didn't win in america, but she did win overall. maybe K. Rool was 1st in america but 20th in both japan and Europe, that won't make him win.

The worst i've seen is people quitting smash all together... because of these results or this direct in general. because apparently, these two characters affect their game or something? i'm like, are you forcing yourself to buy everything? does this character invalidate your main? people are ridiculous and Twitter, facebook, reddit, and smashboards all have these quotas of most ridiculous hyperbole reactions citing their disappointments and people wanting a recount. what is this, the presidency? that's exactly what this is. democrats will get mad when republicans win and vice versa, there will be people saying, What? trump won? why? This poll was months after Bayonetta 2 hype, bayo was fresh.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
It's not that simple. The Pokemon Company and Gamefreak have to approve of everything Pokemon-wise(and another company, but I forgot who it was). It's easy to work with one company, but 3 at once? Sakurai can only do as much as they allow. Also, there's nothing to suggest we were getting any more than Greninja as a newcomer. Squirtle and Ivysaur were intended to return under Pokemon Trainer with Charizard. That was it.
I feel the bigger problem isn't Sakurai but the Pokemon Company itself, they're extremely protective of Pokemon and if they don't want it, it doesn't go in. If anything I feel Pokemon might be the toughest to actually get into Smash because of them.
Hmm. That certainly is something to think about. I suppose you're right. That HAS to be the logical reason why Sakurai gave more love and attention to Waifu Emblem than Pokémon. I really don't understand why TPC is so overprotective of their series. It seems to me like they're insecure.

Last edited:

777Laser

Smash Apprentice

People who voted for more waifus or because of "Smash is a sausage fest" is probably the majority who voted for her.

The silent majority was those people, not specifically Bayonneta fans but the ones who put Bayonneta because of those reasons

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Yes, absolutely positively why people voted in Bayonetta. Literally that many people wanted another waifu. Why couldn't they choose the character I wanted? My character is popular, my character has such a deep and engrossing history.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
They never said she was the clear winner though, it says underneath the numbers she was of the realized characters. That could disqualified 10 other people who knows. We PRb will never know.
You don't have a right to know.
They said back in April that the character with the highest votes is not guaranteed to make it into the roster. This wasn't a vote the fans were deciding. This was a vote to help Sakurai and his team gauge ideas.

gg

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Probably Sakurai didn't took the ballot seriously anymore after seeing people actually voting for joke characters in the NA ballot; thats why he went with the supposed European winner

Im sure he considered Snake but Konami obviously closed the door

K.Rool and Isaac not making it is very upsetting tho

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I voted for her.

A lot.
Oh, thanks for bringing that up. We never really decided how the voting system worked, or how broken/unbroken it was.
Was it one vote per system? Or could people literally sit at their computer all day sending off votes for characters? I'll admit, as great an idea as the ballot was, it wasn't organized the best...

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
I just want snake back. If he showed up at the end with "kept you waiting huh" I would have had fainted. Maybe Sakurai saved my life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom