• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troykv

Smash Master
Remember when we actually doubted the possibility of getting any third-party character for Smash 4 DLC before Ryu was leaked?

Good times.
The times when Wolf and K. Rool were considered shoo-ins... Good times xDU

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who's glad that Sakurai doesn't always cave in to fan demand? If he did, we wouldn't have interesting characters like WFT, R.O.B. or Mr. G&W. Instead, we would just get characters that everyone expects like King K. Rool, Blaziken and Chrom. I'm not saying that Sakurai should always ignore fans, but if they were the only ones who decided which characters got into Smash, we would probably end up with more people being displeased than satisfied.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
well... Impa, Midna, Lana, Linkle, another villian...
I'd rather see Darunia, as he'd be another heavyweight, and he was brought back in Hyrule Warriors so we know he's at least remembered.

I suspect we're going to see K.Rool, though. Japan seems to like him a lot for some reason and that's where Sakurai really pays attention (he's nerfed/buffed characters based upon their performance in Japanese tournaments, BTW, but clearly isn't aware of what Sheik/ZSS are doing to the US, heh...).

Am I the only one who's glad that Sakurai doesn't always cave in to fan demand? If he did, we wouldn't have interesting characters like WFT, R.O.B. or Mr. G&W. Instead, we would just get characters that everyone expects like King K. Rool, Blaziken and Chrom. I'm not saying that Sakurai should always ignore fans, but if they were the only ones who decided which characters got into Smash, we would probably end up with more people being displeased than satisfied.
I agree with this as well. It's nice to have a balance.

In the past, I've said that he should focus on what the fans want, but I've since come to feel that oddball characters from obscure franchises are actually pretty cool to have in SSB.

In fact, I feel like he should use his "power" to bring more franchises to the forefront, like how SSBM is the only reason Fire Emblem ever took off in the US.

Although it would never happen, I'd love to see Alex Roivas from Eternal Darkness with a movest based around summoning monsters to fight for her, or John Raimi from Geist designed around the idea that he has to damage opponents while in spirit form, then possess them to make them fight other opponents or damage themselves.

Neither would ever happen, but MAN, they'd be some extremely original characters...

Last edited:
I mean I would probably enjoy Chrom and K rool more than G&W and WFT. . .but yeah him making things come out of left field instead of following the norm has led to some great choices.

The retros, Robin, Dark Pit and of course Cloud and Ryu were awesome choices. Because the obvious is boring.

Troykv

Smash Master
The console games took considerably more to produce and manage than the handheld ones (edit: this kind of dynamic has pretty much always been the case for handheld consoles, and in fact the lack of a gap in production effort for PSP and ESPECIALLY Vita games to PS2/3 and now PS3/4 that lead them to be the struggle and flop of consoles that they were), especially the jump in cost for voice acting to be included as it was.

The fact that they, then, sold less than the GBA titles and I think even the DS remake(s) or Marth's games made them, comparatively, flops. Financially, an unsuccesful experiment hoping to capture the console market with the series as FF4/5 were some of the best selling before Awakening, looking at Japan's sales of course.
I see, personally I think that the DS Games was also flops... Because this games has a big advantage (that only shares with Binding Blade, one of the best seller Japan-Only): Have recent Smash Bros Advertising with Marth... And only solds a little bit better that the Radiant Games.

It's a shame that Ike's games didn't attract much sales, it was understandable for PoR as the Gamecube was struggling, but RD shouldn't have sold that less.

I wish they got remade for the 3DS or the NeXt handheld. Japan majorly favours handhelds to consoles. Both games have a solid story and gameplay, and shouldn't have trouble selling.

:231:
It would probably be cheaper to buy the NX and both Radiant games than buying them off the internet for their original consoles :/

Which is a shame because I (and the world) need more FE exposure.
An HD remake of PoR&RD would definitely bring back faith in the direction the series is taking, at least it will for me. Considering they go for at least ~$130+ together disk-only (if you get lucky on ebay, more realistically ~$160+) and the recent surge of newbies to the franchise, they're just begging for it (just like HD F-Zero GX with online).

Seeing the best villain of the series get in as a Mii Costume definitely brought things full circle if you were around for the 2011 and older Smash 4 threads. I'd still take BK or Caeda over Robin any day. lol

On the topic of costumes though, I'm still waiting for my Knuckles Brawler and would hope to see a Lighting/Sephiroth Swordfighter.
These games really needs a Second chance.

Please IS... Please.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Zelda has run out of recurring characters to add (except Vaati, but Nintendo has forgotten him.)

If any of the past villains like Midna, Ghirahim or even Ganon have a proper appearance in later games, I can see them being added. Same goes for Linkle.

NintendoLand....
Link Between Worlds.....

And, I swear, Zelda U. It's gonna have some good ol' Wizpig.

Edit:
I see, personally I think that the DS Games was also flops... Because this games has a big advantage (that only shares with Binding Blade, one of the best seller Japan-Only): Have recent Smash Bros Advertising with Marth... And only solds a little bit better that the Radiant Games.

Please IS... Please.
The DS games weren't great. They sold marginally more. But, they cost significantly less to MAKE. Making mediocre sales less of a loss.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Both the Hammer Bro and Shy Guy are already in Smash Run...Hammer Bro can even be summoned as an assist trophy...

Moblin's would be cool...
Machamp?...maybe as a boss type enemy like Darknut...I guess it'd be cool..
Hmm then maybe Garrol, and Monty Mole for Super Mario as well, and the Zingers, and Krockrock from Donkey Kong Country too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Please IS... Please.
I played Shadow Dragon, it's a very, VERY flawed game, dated style, crap animation, some ****ty map design, blablabla. Music was cool though, wouldn't mind Medeus' boss theme in Smash

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I played Shadow Dragon, it's a very, VERY flawed game, dated style, crap animation, some ****ty map design, blablabla. Music was cool though, wouldn't mind Medeus' boss theme in Smash
Considering it was a straight port of the NES game with only the graphics updated, that's to be expected.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't think any of the official third-party rules will be broken, I mean all the rules that have been broken were rules coined by fans, they weren't official like the ones I listed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Considering it was a straight port of the NES game with only the graphics updated, that's to be expected.

Not to mention they made Marth a strong woman who don't need no man, something that doesn't match his old personality, though they did use the weapon triangle despite it being crap. Shadow Dragon really made a great change to Coliseums/Arenas. Speaking of, I'm still upset we didn't get the FE7 Arena theme. Maaaaaybe DLC?

Burruni

Smash Hero
That's because it was trying to be a remake of FE1, which is /all/ of those things.

And then FE12 aka FE3 is FE1 MKII: CAVALIERS EVERYWHERE edition.

And FE6 is FE1 MKIII: Teh Phire edition.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's because it was trying to be a remake of FE1, which is /all/ of those things.

And then FE12 aka FE3 is FE1 MKII: CAVALIERS EVERYWHERE edition.

And FE6 is FE1 MKIII: Teh Phire edition.
And there wasn't even enough of Teh Phire. 6 was just a big letdown overall. Some missions were fairly challenging though. The last mission with the berserk staves will live forever in my nightmares.

No upgrades for Thieves made me mad salty though. I leveled the **** out of Cath only to be severely disappointed.

Burruni

Smash Hero
And there wasn't even enough of Teh Phire. 6 was just a big letdown overall. Some missions were fairly challenging though. The last mission with the berserk staves will live forever in my nightmares.

No upgrades for Thieves made me mad salty though. I leveled the **** out of Cath only to be severely disappointed.
I was referring to the base story of FE6 and 1 being remarkably similar.
Also the fact that they're the two FE games (excluding Gaiden) WHERE EVERY MAP IS ROUT THE ENEMY. EVEN FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING WAS ABLE TO BREAK THIS FOR TIKI'S MAP.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
In addition to Goku (*sigh), I've seen some people suggest Mickey Mouse as a plausible choice since he's the mascot of Disney and is one of the most iconic characters in pop culture. But again, he's not a video game character, so I couldn't see him working in Smash.

Last edited:
In addition to Goku (*sigh), I've seen some people suggest Mickey Mouse as a plausible choice since he's the mascot of Disney and is one of the most iconic characters in pop culture. But again, he's not a video game character, so I couldn't see him working in Smash.
If we were to get a non-video game character. . .Mickey is easily one of the top contenders. I would even say #1. It's hard to top Mickey Mouse in iconicness. Apparently Japan loves Disney a lot too.

Of course being the most likely out of the impossible isn't saying much. Especially when you with Sora being first in line for Disney.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Not to mention Disney is just an animation/movie company there not even a video game company so who even bought this up? They just so happen to have a small development company that makes video games but even then I do not think that hardly even count.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Not to mention Disney is just an animation/movie company there not even a video game company so who even bought this up? They just so happen to have a small development company that makes video games but even then I do not think that hardly even count.
Nobody brought it up, the name pops up when we talk about who the most likely non-video game character is, which is usually either Mickey Mouse or Goku.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I can appreciate a well-placed surprise or two, especially if it's legitimately creative like Duck Hunt or Bowser Jr. It's when the surprises become the norm to the point where people shoehorn "placeholder surprise pick" into all of their predictions and frame non-surprise choices as "boring" that it becomes tedious. To borrow an Incredibles phrase, "If everyone's a surprise, no one is."

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Here's an unofficial rule I'm adding... No third-parties under 10 years of age. (Yes I know it's bogus but just roll with it...)

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Here's an unofficial rule I'm adding... No third-parties under 10 years of age. (Yes I know it's bogus but just roll with it...)
Are you seriously making up a rule, acknowledging that it's a completely made up rule, but expecting people to follow it anyway? :p

EDIT: I'm not saying I think we'll get a 3rd party under 10 years of age, I don't think that, but I'm also not Sakurai, so it's impossible for ANYBODY here to know for sure

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
okay bets for the Smash thing
1-10
11-20
21-30

I'm thinking around 11-20 time myself

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Why are we talking about "official rules" that are quite literally unofficial and made by a user on a Smash Bros website?

D

Deleted member

Cloud was a great surprise and he broke a lot of walls down but Goku and Mickey Mouse might be well I don't know pushing it, I respect people's options though, and just leave it at that.

I don't expect Shovel Knight the rumor's is dead he's deconfirmed.

I'll keep my expectations in check, so along with that said I think to go with Cloud, Wolf and Inklings. And we get Inkopoolis to go with Midgar, Snake and Banjo-Kazooie, K. Rool too,

But these are who I think will come.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Why are we talking about "official rules" that are quite literally unofficial and made by a user on a Smash Bros website?
We could beat that poor dead horse's ashes into oblivion and talk about indies. Again.

I feel like the speculation has kind of run its course. Been going on for...what, three years now? Since the reveal anyway, some people have undoubtedly been doing it longer. Just wanna see what we're getting now. Gonna buy any new characters regardless of who they are anyway.

D

Deleted member

When it comes to third parties anyone's possible but we'll find out soon who they are, Snake, Banjo-Kazooie being the most likely, but you never know maybe Master Chief or Spyro and Crash too.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
I'm really hoping the broadcast will be on December 11.
However, I'll bet it's going to be around 13-20

I used to think that Wolf was a shoe-in but now, I'm literally begging for his inclusion. (and Sceptile) #Free:wolf:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On the bright side least the Game Awards are almost here, Splatoon, and Super Mario Maker hope they walk away with some awards, maybe we'll get some new footage of The Legend of Zelda Wii U, least it can tide us over till the Direct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
I'm really hoping the broadcast will be on December 11.
However, I'll bet it's going to be around 13-20

I use to think that Wolf was a shoe-in but now, I'm literally begging for his inclusion. (and Sceptile) #Free:wolf:
I'd personally like to stick with one character per series as DLC, but I'd be cool with Sceptile if they were to add another Pokémon rep since Ivysaur is unfortunately gone. There's potential for a fun move set there.

Wolf is a big "meh" to me. I'd much rather have Snake if we're getting another Brawl rep. I know his return would make a lot of people happy though. The Star Fox characters just never really did anything for me. Shrug.

Inkling could be a crazy character. If they're included I'm curious as to how they'll be handled.

Always been more of a Dixie supporter than a K. Rool one but it seems clear he has more support. Either would be great at this point.

Or better yet; it's somebody I'm not even considering in the running. Surprise me, Sakurai.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Are you seriously making up a rule, acknowledging that it's a completely made up rule, but expecting people to follow it anyway? :p

EDIT: I'm not saying I think we'll get a 3rd party under 10 years of age, I don't think that, but I'm also not Sakurai, so it's impossible for ANYBODY here to know for sure
You just said it. No one has to follow it.
No they're official... Sakurai said these in an issue of Famitsu during the Brawl days. SG has an article I believe.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No they're official... Sakurai said these in an issue of Famitsu during the Brawl days. SG has an article I believe.
Sakurai has quite literally never said this.
He has never said anything about characters that have existed for less than ten years being ineligible for Smash, 3rd party or not.
I know this is just a method of saying indie characters aren't happening...so stop.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Sakurai has quite literally never said this.
He has never said anything about characters that have existed for less than ten years being ineligible for Smash, 3rd party or not.
I know this is just a method of saying indie characters aren't happening...so stop.
That's also false, as thy can as proven by commander video's trophy. And I said g&t part was unofficial and that I had made it up. I was more or less thinking about the characters from Valve actually, like tf2 and Glados. But meh, let's drop it.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Man, I keep missing all of the good discussions.

Wii U to 3DS Stages
  • Big Battlefield
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Jungle Hijinxs
Songs
Yes Fossil Fighters music, now wheres my BB bandit trio DLC?
I can appreciate a well-placed surprise or two, especially if it's legitimately creative like Duck Hunt or Bowser Jr. It's when the surprises become the norm to the point where people shoehorn "placeholder surprise pick" into all of their predictions and frame non-surprise choices as "boring" that it becomes tedious. To borrow an Incredibles phrase, "If everyone's a surprise, no one is."
This, Its ok to have a few surprise characters, but when you have too many surprise characters, it gets annoying, especially to the people who want popular characters. You can't just ignore the popular picks, if fans want a character, and you have the power to make them aka, you should just do it.

Of the initial smash release, :4megaman::rosalina::4bowserjr::4palutena::4lucina::4robinm::4littlemac: :4villager::4pacman:were popular picks
:4darkpit: is kind of middle ground since he did have a bunch of requests, but not for him as a clone.

:4greninja::4shulk::4duckhunt::4wiifit: were surprise characters.

Now for DLC
:4mewtwo::4lucas: were popular characters.

:4feroy: is middle ground because he did have a bunch of fans, but not as much as the others.

:4ryu::4cloud: were surprise characters.

You may disagree with some of my choices, but keep in mind this is an opinion.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yes Fossil Fighters music, now wheres my BB bandit trio DLC?

This, Its ok to have a few surprise characters, but when you have too many surprise characters, it gets annoying, especially to the people who want popular characters. You can't just ignore the popular picks, if fans want a character, and you have the power to make them aka, you should just do it.

Of the initial smash release, :4megaman::rosalina::4bowserjr::4palutena::4lucina::4robinm::4littlemac: :4villager::4pacman:were popular picks
:4darkpit: is kind of middle ground since he did have a bunch of requests, but not for him as a clone.

:4greninja::4shulk::4duckhunt::4wiifit: were surprise characters.

Now for DLC
:4mewtwo::4lucas: were popular characters.

:4feroy: is middle ground because he did have a bunch of fans, but not as much as the others.

:4ryu::4cloud: were surprise characters.

You may disagree with some of my choices, but keep in mind this is an opinion.
:4shulk: was easily as requested as :4robinm: or :rosalina:, especially in Japan. And :4feroy: was a popular veteran, so he was certainly a popular pick. Whether or not that contributed to his addition remains to be seen, but yeah.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
While Ryu and Cloud were surprise characters, they still are popular characters in gaming.

Roy is a popular character among Melee fans.

Shulk is a popular character among those who worked with Operation Rainfall.

Duck Hunt is a popular character among me, myself, and I. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom