• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Because Sakurai's not going 'what would be fun?' is going 'Who's popular that I could make work...' Because Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy? Popular veterans. Ryu? EVERYONE knows Ryu and loves the Hadouken and Shoryuken. Cloud? There's a reason Cloud's game in considered the best. We've only gotten popular characters
Was anybody asking for Ryu or cloud to be in smash that is actually a reasonable person.. Anyways the majority like it so that's all that matters right, (most people will take anything and worship the ground sakurai stands on) so who cares what I think so let's just say we agree to disagree.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Was anybody asking for Ryu or cloud to be in smash that is actually a reasonable person.. Anyways the majority like it so that's all that matters right (most people will take anything) so who cares what I think so let's just say we agree to disagree.
The only reason people weren't asking for them that much was because no one thought they would be valid options, but there are certainly a ton of people who would've loved to have seen them in the game if they thought they were valid options. I mean, I don't care about Ryu, and there's a lot of FF protagonists I prefer to Cloud. But frankly I love Cloud as well and am content with him representing Final Fantasy. I would've preferred Terra, though, but I figured she was more of a pipe dream because she wasn't nearly so popular. (And Cloud was a pipe dream because his game never made it to Nintendo, but, well...)

Exactly. If you're not happy with the DLC choices, quite frankly, you have either a niche opinion, or your favourite characters just weren't popular enough
Prior to Cloud the DLC characters were "meh" to me. I definitely wanted Mewtwo to return but I don't care about Pokemon personally. I do like Roy to an extent, but he's my least favorite of the FE characters that have been playable in Smash. And Ryu? Meh. I don't really care about fighting games.

Cloud was a shock, but he's the first DLC character I actually really like. Although I did buy Roy mostly because of how much he got changed up (and I've always loved that Marth-style moveset).

I don't really care about veterans. None of the cut veterans interested me. And Ryu, IMO, was a "meh" third-party choice. But Cloud I like a lot, even though he did come out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
Hyrule ,Skyloft, Akaneia, Tellius, Ylisse, Magvel
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
Exactly. If you're not happy with the DLC choices, quite frankly, you have either a niche opinion, or your favourite characters just weren't popular enough
If someone doesn't like the DLC characters, then they can't really do anything to change those characters. You don't HAVE to buy them, after all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Was anybody asking for Ryu or cloud to be in smash that is actually a reasonable person.. Anyways the majority like it so that's all that matters right (most people will take anything) so who cares what I think so let's just say we agree to disagree.
Dude...Are you even reading my posts. Though I haven't seen any Ryu support, there's the fact the Internet is endless, and I've seen quite a few people request Cloud. Also, 'reasonable person'? What are you on about? 'most people will take anything' No. Most people will take what they like. Which is why all the current DLC characters are very popular. Unless you meant in terms of Smash popularity, which I can guarantee you doesn't matter as Ryu and Cloud are extremely popular characters regardless of Smash support

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
B-B-But, they're too new!
>They've been on large display since E3 2013. Came out around may, half a year before being added for DLC. :roymelee: got in two months BEFORE his game happened.

Nintendo'd hold them for the next Smash game!
>DLC, when the most hype characters would be plucked because they'd sell well.

The Mii Costumes are good enough!
>Yet nobody tries to bring up this pitiful argument against K. Rool

Listen, the only legitimate thing that'd make them be "ignored" as a choice if they ranked high enough if actual 3DS limitation to an Ink mechanic. That doesn't mean that they were/are going to be picked, it just means that it'd be by Sakurai's choice to include characters that "needed the ballot more" as a voice for them that he felt he overlooked or because of technical limitations.
I mean even then, if for some reason the ink posed a challenge, I think Sakurai would make it work. He made Olimar work on the 3DS, and the big reason he didn't try more for the Ice Climbers (and he tried a LOT) was due to their lack of a future. Inklings though...they have a future.

I like Splatoon, but I just don't want the Inklings in Smash. Thats just my opinion.
I mean hey, I respect that opinion. You're amicable about it at least. :p

MagnesD3

Smash Master
The only reason people weren't asking for them that much was because no one thought they would be valid options, but there are certainly a ton of people who would've loved to have seen them in the game if they thought they were valid options. I mean, I don't care about Ryu, and there's a lot of FF protagonists I prefer to Cloud. But frankly I love Cloud as well and am content with him representing Final Fantasy. I would've preferred Terra, though, but I figured she was more of a pipe dream because she wasn't nearly so popular. (And Cloud was a pipe dream because his game never made it to Nintendo, but, well...)
I'm actually happy for cloud fans because I know many people who this was a dream character for. That being said I could care less about him since I'm a fan of Nintendo characters especially a lot of the more established ones.

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
Dude...Are you even reading my posts. Though I haven't seen any Ryu support, there's the fact the Internet is endless, and I've seen quite a few people request Cloud. Also, 'reasonable person'? What are you on about? 'most people will take anything' No. Most people will take what they like. Which is why all the current DLC characters are very popular. Unless you meant in terms of Smash popularity, which I can guarantee you doesn't matter as Ryu and Cloud are extremely popular characters regardless of Smash support
Ryu was an amazing addition to smash imo.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm actually happy for cloud fans because I know many people who this was a dream character for. That being said I could care less about him since I'm a fan of Nintendo characters especially a lot of the more established ones.
Yeah. I want Nintendo newcomers. And I do think we're going to get them. I think its a ridiculous notion we'll only get third-parties and veterans. Frankly I don't think Snake is coming back, or if he is, he won't be coming back yet and would instead be announced as a character coming in the future, probably around April or so. I highly doubt they'll be working on more than one third-party at once due to all the licensing involved.

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
Yeah. I want Nintendo newcomers. And I do think we're going to get them. I think its a ridiculous notion we'll only get third-parties and veterans. Frankly I don't think Snake is coming back, or if he is, he won't be coming back yet and would instead be announced as a character coming in the future, probably around April or so. I highly doubt they'll be working on more than one third-party at once due to all the licensing involved.
yeah I kinda want newcomers more than veterans returning. only 2 of the 5 DLC characters are newcomers.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Im in the minority of something again but I want veterans practically as much as newcomers because I've never played as the newcomers....and some of thesw cut ones I was looking forward to try and main prior to the 3DS roster leak.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
We will see, there are quite a few characters (several antagonist/villains in fact) who have a lot of merit to get into smash I wouldn't bet on seeing them over trendy characters that are fairly new and popular currently across the Nintendo audience. Hell we at least know of 1 villain with credibility who can't be in the game for "reasons". I'm willing to bet certain veteran fans get screwed over as well when this is all said and done as well.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Spamus and Little Mac were actually catered more towards American audiences I believe. Which is why they're more popular there I think.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sorry everybody, I had a power outage, did I miss anything?
Your last post was on the previous page. Just read the thread. Comments like this are just spammy in nature.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
As much as I want to see the likes of Rayman, Snake, and Banjo, we ARE in dire need of a Nintendo newcomer. Namely, K. Rool and Inkling would fit the bill nicely.
That being said, I think it's a realistic possibility to see AT LEAST one more third party being announced. Two is kind of pushing it, but as Cloud said:
"Limits are meant to be broken!"

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As much as I want to see the likes of Rayman, Snake, and Banjo, we ARE in dire need of a Nintendo newcomer. Namely, K. Rool and Inkling would fit the bill nicely.
That being said, I think it's a realistic possibility to see AT LEAST one more third party being announced. Two is kind of pushing it, but as Cloud said:
I can see one more third-party being announced, but not yet. Only if we get more content beyond this Direct (which is entirely possible). And tbh... if this is literally the last DLC I have a feeling we won't even get Wolf (unless there's at least three more characters after Cloud).

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Dreaming of Banjo since he is a Nintendo character stolen away but it's just a dream sadly.

And tbh... if this is literally the last DLC I have a feeling we won't even get Wolf (unless there's at least three more characters after Cloud).
This is sadly my train of thought, even though ultimately wolf was the most popular cut Nintendo vet other than mewtwo he will have been ignored because Lucas and Roy appeal more to the japanese fanbase (cough sakurai national bias cough). With wolf having been a dream character from brawl for me I am royally ****ed.

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
While Inklings aren't my personal desire, they wouldn't certainly be a bad character. I mean, if nothing else they would at least be another firearms focused character in a roster currently lacking in this sector(:4samus: and :4miigun: being the only ones using their guns for more than three moves, also :4zss: I guess if you count the whip).

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Dreaming of Banjo since he is a Nintendo character stolen away but it's just a dream sadly.
Same here, man.
Plus, with Snake looking to be a very likely DLC choice, it looks like Rayman is becoming a pipe dream again.:(
Not that I hate Snake. Far from it.
That being said, I would've been fine if Rayman didn't get in had they not put in those three trophies.
With the trophies, not only does it seem as though Sakurai wanted to remind you of what could've been, but it's pretty heartbreaking considering I'm a huge Sonic and Rayman fan.
It's Ridley all over again.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
This thread is starting to get incredibly repetitive; and I really don't like seeing people treat opinions as invalid just because they don't like them, but oh well.

Better to think this way as to not get burned as badly when the bad news hits. (When the final 3 are Cloud, Inklings, Shovel Knight derp)

A wise mindset to have, but like that Duke guy has said quite a few times they've had a long time to work on stuff. It's very unlikely that if this were to be the last of Sm4sh DLC (which I don't see why it would be, I mean they're making so much money off of it, and even if they stop making characters there's tons of stages/game modes they can work on implementing) we would get little content.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Smash 4 is packed with so many characters.

It would be awesome if we could get some extensive game modes as DLC to enjoy all these characters with.

I really want a classic classic mode, or even a half-arse adventure mode, akin to melee.

Beating a these game modes with every character would give me something to do for a bit, would enjoy that.

I'm hoping we get some game mode(s) in the December announcement. That would be more hype than any character, for me.

Burruni

Smash Hero

It would be awesome if we could get some extensive game modes as DLC to enjoy all these characters with.

I really want a classic classic mode, or even a half-arse adventure mode, akin to melee.

Beating a these game modes with every character would give me something to do for a bit, would enjoy that.

I'm hoping we get some game mode(s) in the December announcement. That would be more hype than any character, for me.
I still say that there should be a mode, akin to all-star, where you only get a certain amount of stocks... where you get to choose a different character for each one, pre-selected before entering your barrage of fights against the full roster.
Possibly like the "All-Star" events in Melee, where you'd switch a stage every fighter/couple of fighters.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead

If all we got for single player content was the old Target mode I would be happy enough. I don't really like the new one.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I still say that there should be a mode, akin to all-star, where you only get a certain amount of stocks... where you get to choose a different character for each one, pre-selected before entering your barrage of fights against the full roster.
Possibly like the "All-Star" events in Melee, where you'd switch a stage every fighter/couple of fighters.
What about All-Star mode from Project M? Where you have a team of characters represented by different stocks? :)

JayTheBrainMann

Smash Cadet
Was anybody asking for Ryu or cloud to be in smash that is actually a reasonable person..
Personally I don't consider people who want a third party character in "unreasonable", but obviously Sakurai wanted them in or else they probably wouldn't be in. Unless you don't consider him "reasonable", which is somewhat understandable. :p

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah. That's largely what I meant. Just... having it be you vs the roster, probably segmented.
No healing, though. Your stocks are all you have.
I'd say five stocks at most. Maybe six, but most likely just five.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Unless it's Snake (Who would count as a returning veteran) I feel there probably won't be another 3rd Party announced in the December direct. As two 3rd Party newcomers within 2 months of announcements is a bit much. I'd think they give the newly announced 3rd Party a chance to shine.

I think if they have one more 3rd Party Newcomer for us. They'll save it either for an early 2016 Nintendo direct or next E3. (But that's only assuming this December Smash Direct implies there's still more characters coming after whoever's announced in this direct)

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Veteran, 1st or 3rd party... doesn't = hype. Imagine day of the Special Broadcast, @RandomTBush finds Ivysaur, Baby Mario, and Fat Princess (LOL PlayStation All-stars) in 1.1.3; then, Sakurai reveals Wolf || Snake || Ice Climbers, King K. Rool, and Banjo Kazooie.

Can't tell me you're not relieved.
If those 5 got in and cloud, Id cry tears of joy, not even lying. Banjo and Wolf alone would do that but Id also be extremely happy that snake and IC's returned since they were so unique and their fanbases have currently been shafted not to mention finally a nintendo newcomer thats worth a damn.

But expect Cloud, Inkling and Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But expect Cloud, Inkling and Shovel Knight.
Cloud's confirmed, so it's not really that we need to expect him, not to mention I know plenty of people want both Inklings and Shovel Knight. Wouldn't it be better to simply say 'Expect the worst'? Because otherwise, if someone were to listen to this advice and Inklings and Shovel Knight don't get in, they could get disappointed. Just sayin

MagnesD3

Smash Master
It's very unlikely that if this were to be the last of Sm4sh DLC (which I don't see why it would be, I mean they're making so much money off of it, and even if they stop making characters there's tons of stages/game modes they can work on implementing) we would get little content.
This is nintendo we are talking about sadly, they actively do the thing that makes the least sense. Just an example, think if they made a good console Pokemon game exclusive to wii U or a skylanders type game but with a nintendo polish where you use amiibo and can play as any of the amiibo in this game with each amiibo unlocking new levels as well.

Those two Ideas print money and arent hard to come up with yet nintendo hasnt done them and wont do them because they are foolish. I would literally have to start buying amiibo if a game like that actually made them matter and remember these are just a couple of examples of missed opportunities for nintendo to make bookoos of cash.

Cloud's confirmed, so it's not really that we need to expect him, not to mention I know plenty of people want both Inklings and Shovel Knight. Wouldn't it be better to simply say 'Expect the worst'? Because otherwise, if someone were to listen to this advice and Inklings and Shovel Knight don't get in, they could get disappointed. Just sayin
Inklings and Shovel Knight are pretty terrible outcomes due to their "newness" making them popular currently. Neither of them are worthy at all but like I said its super easy to get in smash now so that's why I expect them. Those two are so bandwagon character's it isnt even funny.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm not gonna lie, I'd rather see Master Chief in Smash before I ever see King K. Rool

This is nintendo we are talking about sadly, they actively do the thing that makes the least sense. Just an example, think if they made a good console Pokemon game exclusive to wii U or a skylanders type game but with a nintendo polish where you use amiibo and can play as any of the amiibo in this game with each amiibo unlocking new levels as well.

Those two Ideas print money and arent hard to come up with yet nintendo hasnt done them and wont do them because they are foolish. I would literally have to start buying amiibo if a game like that actually made them matter and remember these are just a couple of examples of missed opportunities for nintendo to make bookoos of cash.
I'm sure a console Pokemon game wouldn't actually work as well as many people think it'd would. Part of Pokemon's appeal is that you can play it on the go. That, and I don't think you can pull the whole, two versions of the same game as well on consoles, another major aspect of Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom