• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm keeping with my prediction of 8 DLC's total, but obviously I would prefer 10. (6 more including Cloud).

If it is less than 8 for whatever reason tho, I will be sad.
I think 7-8 might be the sweet spot.

Cloud will probably come with another two characters (probably Wolf and Inklings as a ballot choice)

Then one last ballot choice in the end

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I understand what you're saying. However, I think the "waiting a year" thing is easily explained.

Since DLC started, we've gotten Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, Ryu and Cloud. As you said, we're getting at least two more. In the time span of a year (or less) we've gotten:

5 characters
7, soon to be 8 or 9 stages
5 costume packs
Tournament mode
Balance patches

All of these for both versions, no less. Then you add in the fact that the development team is smaller, and the back and forth negotiations/approval that the team needs to finish said characters, etc... All of that takes a decent amount of time to accomplish.

I don't know all the ins and outs about game development, but as far as I know the work that they've accomplished so far is pretty amazing for the group they have.

That's mainly why I'm hoping that people don't get TOO hung up on the idea of more than 2-3 characters.

Even if we would like to think the ballot would provide more than one character, there's been nothing (aside from fan speculation) that has suggested there would be more than one character.

While I am going to stick by my current "theory", I do think that they COULD add more content. I just don't think they WILL. I think that next month will be the end of Smash info.
I truly believe, even if we are that this doc ends this year, that e3 May present new characters.

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
Hyrule ,Skyloft, Akaneia, Tellius, Ylisse, Magvel
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
-Tiki from Fire Emblem
-Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat
-Birthday Suit Samus
-Issac from Golden Sun
-Orchid from Killer Instinct
-Snake from Metal Gear
-New events and stages to accompany these characters.
-Character specific target test.
-A customs shop.
-MORE OPTIONS FOR STAGE BUILDER!!!
"Birthday suit samus" Sakurai wouldn't put that in smash, she's already exposed with the short shorts. Smash 4 is rated E lol
Isaac would be awesome. You want Tiki because you saw her while playing Awakening, did you?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So after looking at my list that I made yesterday, I found out some observations that may be interesting, here's what I found.

Shantae is particularly popular over here in the West, many fan polls have shown that her popularity unmistakably resides here, and what separates her from other characters are her various animal transformations, which would be a first for the Smash Bros series. She also now has a publisher in Japan, meaning her licence would be easier to acquire.
In theory there's no difference between that and the transformations of the past, especially if there are multiple animals.

K. Rool is popular all over the world, however his popularity usually resides in Europe, the country he was created in. He usually destroys fan polls over there, and what separates him from other characters is his multiple personas, so it's like playing four characters in one, which would be a first for the Smash Bros series.
Two things are very wrong here.

1. "His popularity usually resides in Europe." Minus the misuse of the word "residing," if anywhere he's most popular in the US. Either way, why say it when he's popular everywhere anyway?

2. Europe isn't a country.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Sonic Battle would like a word with you. Shadow has tons of potential on his own merits just with his powers alone. I'd love to see a Smash moveset for him just to prove the pleasure who claim he'd be a semi clone wrong. And no he doesn't need guns either. I mean, he only used them once anyway and Sonic Battle was before Shadow the Hedgehog the game.

Oh and in Sonic Battle? Shadow isn't just asnnnd "little" different than Sonic... he's COMPLETELY different.

Not that I think Shadow should be in Smash. I just hate uninformed people immediately claiming he'd be a semi clone
I was just saying he would probably be designed similarly because of how Sakurai designs characters like Sonic and Shadow.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

I Love this little bunny, I'm not sure what his name is but I'm calling him Badger

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I was just saying he would probably be designed similarly because of how Sakurai designs characters like Sonic and Shadow.
He probably would. I mean, Shadow has many unique abilities he could have for his specials. tilts, smashs, etc, like Chaos control, Chaos Blast, Chaos Snap, Chaos Boost, and Chaos Spear. But in the end, a huge part of his character is still about being a fast hedgehog that can roll into a ball to battle enemies. In fact, I'd think even his guns from ShtH could be incorporated into his moveset or maybe even his jet shoes being akin to ZSS.

Honestly, he could very easily be super similar to Sonic or vastly different than him.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
He probably would. I mean, Shadow has many unique abilities he could have for his specials. tilts, smashs, etc, like Chaos control, Chaos Blast, Chaos Snap, Chaos Boost, and Chaos Spear. But in the end, a huge part of his character is still about being a fast hedgehog that can roll into a ball to battle enemies. In fact, I'd think even his guns from ShtH could be incorporated into his moveset.
I didn't say he didn't :\

I just said that characters like Sonic and Shadow are usually designed similarly. Mario and Luigi, Link and Toon Link, Fox and Falco, etc.

Shadow is quite literally a Sonic clone (from a design standpoint) so the character would probably be similarily designed. But that is not to say he doesn't have a wide-array of unique moves at disposal. If anything I think some of his moveset would be derived from Battle like Sonic got stuff from Fighters.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
In theory there's no difference between that and the transformations of the past, especially if there are multiple animals.

Two things are very wrong here.

1. "His popularity usually resides in Europe." Minus the misuse of the word "residing," if anywhere he's most popular in the US. Either way, why say it when he's popular everywhere anyway?

2. Europe isn't a country.
Sorry, I wrote this when I had just awoke, I had a really weird dream last night so I was kinda in a zone, what I meant was the UK, so sorry for that mistake. And two, because it's most notable there I had felt, his popularity is usually the most consistant there, at least from what I could find from polls. While he's popular elsewhere, I felt it was most notable in the UK, so it was partially my opinion, but taken from polls.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
The heck? They already showed of CLOUD as a tease for the next/last broadcast. If that isn't a bang what is?!
Cloud plus 2 characters isn't that much of a bang, especially for people who are either tired of swordsman or only care about Nintendo characters. 6 characters with several ballot choices and vets would be a bang but that's not going to happen.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sorry, I wrote this when I had just awoke, I had a really weird dream last night so I was kinda in a zone, what I meant was the UK, so sorry for that mistake. And two, because it's most notable there I had felt, his popularity is usually the most consistant there, at least from what I could find from polls. While he's popular elsewhere, I felt it was most notable in the UK, so it was partially my opinion, but taken from polls.
Though, it's not necessary for a character's popularity to lie in his/her place of origin. Samus is a good example - Metroid is more popular in the West rather than Japan.

It only really depends on how well a character clicks with the audience.

:231:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Though, it's not necessary for a character's popularity to lie in his/her place of origin. Samus is a good example - Metroid is more popular in the West rather than Japan.

It only really depends on how well a character clicks with the audience.

:231:
That's true, if the audience can relate well to the character, then it'll probably be successful. It's just a coincidence I noticed.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
"Birthday suit samus" Sakurai wouldn't put that in smash, she's already exposed with the short shorts. Smash 4 is rated E lol
Isaac would be awesome. You want Tiki because you saw her while playing Awakening, did you?
I thought someone would eventually catch that. Not serious though. Anyway, I've actually played a majority of the original FE's using an online emulator. That's where I first encounter Tiki. FE: Awakening? I like the game, but I actually find the waifu stuff to be annoying.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Except we don't know if we're only getting 2 more characters as A: They can add more slots if desired and B: This is the last BROADCAST on Smash, not DLC
We will see, as slow as sakurais team takes to pump out characters I doubt we see more than 3 including cloud and I'm guessing based on it being the last smash broadcast they will emphasize this is the last bit of dlc development.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We will see, as slow as sakurais team takes to pump out characters I doubt we see more than 3 including cloud and I'm guessing based on it being the last smash broadcast they will emphasize this is the last bit of dlc development.
If I remember correctly, Sakurai said he started working on Mewtwo in December and said he was pretty much done in January, Lucas was shown unfinished in April, with Ryu and Roy being leaked, but again, unfinished. Fastforward two months, then we get 3 characters at once. That's actually rather fast in all honesty, 4 characters released in 2 months. Not to mention stages and Mii costumes were made and the fact you're merely guessing, something that literally doesn't prove anything right or wrong and is based off of your pessimistic views

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's pretty interesting though, that characters tend to be more popular from where they originated. I find that cool.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's pretty interesting though, that characters tend to be more popular from where they originated. I find that cool.
Except poor Samus and Little Mac. :p

...And the entirety of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. :( But hey, outliers. What are you gonna do?

Burruni

Smash Hero

...And the entirety of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. :( But hey, outliers. What are you gonna do?
Also
:4fox:.

Star Fox as a fanbase is HEAVILLY centered on NA. It's following in the east and pal is somewhat pitiful.

Last edited:

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
I thought someone would eventually catch that. Not serious though. Anyway, I've actually played a majority of the original FE's using an online emulator. That's where I first encounter Tiki. FE: Awakening? I like the game, but I actually find the waifu stuff to be annoying.
Yeah I like my waifus of course but I don't take it seriously or obsess over it... like some people in the FE fanbase. Awakening made FE skyrocket in popularity but made the fanbase waifu-minded. And Fates will be even more like that.
Like I said I don't hate mah waifus, but its annoying.
I've played most of the FE games I've played so far on the real console. I've played Radiant Dawn, Awakening, Rekka no Ken, Shadow Dragon, Sealed Sword, and Sacred Stones.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
If I remember correctly, Sakurai said he started working on Mewtwo in December and said he was pretty much done in January, Lucas was shown unfinished in April, with Ryu and Roy being leaked, but again, unfinished. Fastforward two months, then we get 3 characters at once. That's actually rather fast in all honesty, 4 characters released in 2 months. Not to mention stages and Mii costumes were made and the fact you're merely guessing, something that literally doesn't prove anything right or wrong and is based off of your pessimistic views
Better to think this way as to not get burned as badly when the bad news hits. (When the final 3 are Cloud, Inklings, Shovel Knight derp)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Isn't S.T.E.A.M a special case because most of its characters are from classic literature...?

And could that prevent them from getting into Smash? I mean, I don't see why not.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Better to think this way as to not get burned as badly when the bad news hits. (When the final 3 are Cloud, Inklings, Shovel Knight derp)
I partially agree. On one hand. low expectations are good for this in case of the worst possible outcome. On the other hand, you're being salty because of your low expectations. It's missing the entire point honestly, why expect the worst and complain about what you're expecting if it's so you aren't 'burned as badly'?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Isn't S.T.E.A.M a special case because most of its characters are from classic literature...?

And could that prevent them from getting into Smash? I mean, I don't see why not.
Actually no. Public domain and such. Nintendo owns those specific versions of the characters, the same as Disney owns their own versions of public domain characters like Pinocchio or Alice. :p

Not to mention a similar case has already happened in Smash with the Kid Icarus cast, seeing as they're all based on characters in Greek mythology.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Here's my understanding.
They're interpretations of the characters almost in a parody of the original work and, unlike James Bond from Goldeneye, would be Nintendo-made characters based loosely on the grounds of the original characters and not using the direct likeness of a character.
As such, technically they could be put into Smash but having a fully-original protagonist and some of the most pitiful reception I've seen for a new IP.... yeah

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The Red Badge of Courage getting representation in Smash...

:laugh:

OK, I'm in.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh please no Inklings in Smash... the costumes are good enough
I don't see anything wrong with the Inklings.

New, successful IP with interesting character designs with a great built-in gimmick to make them stand out from a gameplay perspective. Add in the great possible music and stages they can bring and it's the perfect storm, really.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I partially agree. On one hand. low expectations are good for this in case of the worst possible outcome. On the other hand, you're being salty because of your low expectations. It's missing the entire point honestly, why expect the worst and complain about what you're expecting if it's so you aren't 'burned as badly'?
IMO sakurai has consistently made poor choices with smash 4 so why would I expect him to change now.

Oh please no Inklings in Smash... the costumes are good enough
Yeah, they are just another damn avatar, and are stupidly new and currently popular as a result.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

New, successful IP with interesting character designs with a great built-in gimmick to make them stand out from a gameplay perspective. Add in the great possible music and stages they can bring and it's the perfect storm, really.
Perfect indeed. :colorful:

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631

Splatoon is a great game but idk If i would like them in smash. But then again thats just me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
IMO sakurai has consistently made poor choices with smash 4 so why would I expect him to change now.
Because Sakurai's not going 'what would be fun?' is going 'Who's popular that I could make work...' Because Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy? Popular veterans. Ryu? EVERYONE knows Ryu and loves the Hadouken and Shoryuken. Cloud? There's a reason Cloud's game in considered the best. We've only gotten popular characters

Burruni

Smash Hero

B-B-But, they're too new!
>They've been on large display since E3 2013. Came out around may, half a year before being added for DLC. :roymelee: got in two months BEFORE his game happened.

Nintendo'd hold them for the next Smash game!
>DLC, when the most hype characters would be plucked because they'd sell well.

The Mii Costumes are good enough!
>Yet nobody tries to bring up this pitiful argument against K. Rool

Listen, the only legitimate thing that'd make them be "ignored" as a choice if they ranked high enough if actual 3DS limitation to an Ink mechanic. That doesn't mean that they were/are going to be picked, it just means that it'd be by Sakurai's choice to include characters that "needed the ballot more" as a voice for them that he felt he overlooked or because of technical limitations.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Because Sakurai's not going 'what would be fun?' is going 'Who's popular that I could make work...' Because Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy? Popular veterans. Ryu? EVERYONE knows Ryu and loves the Hadouken and Shoryuken. Cloud? There's a reason Cloud's game in considered the best. We've only gotten popular characters
Popularity seems to be the leading factor in DLC so far...

He did say that the DLC would be "fan service."

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I don't really bother replying to Inkling hate posts, I've already given my reasons why their a fine contender for DLC. Posts without good supporting reasons are called "opinions", which everybody is free to have.

Yeah, they are just another damn avatar, and are stupidly new and currently popular as a result.
I'm assuming you're referring to Robin in the game. If you've played Awakening he has a developing personality just like everybody else in the game.

Last edited:

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
B-B-But, they're too new!
>They've been on large display since E3 2013. Came out around may, half a year before being added for DLC. :roymelee: got in two months BEFORE his game happened.

Nintendo'd hold them for the next Smash game!
>DLC, when the most hype characters would be plucked because they'd sell well.

The Mii Costumes are good enough!
>Yet nobody tries to bring up this pitiful argument against K. Rool

Listen, the only legitimate thing that'd make them be "ignored" as a choice if they ranked high enough if actual 3DS limitation to an Ink mechanic. That doesn't mean that they were/are going to be picked, it just means that it'd be by Sakurai's choice to include characters that "needed the ballot more" as a voice for them that he felt he overlooked or because of technical limitations.
I like Splatoon, but I just don't want the Inklings in Smash. Thats just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom