• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Oh okay cool. As for what Bowserlick said. Sounds about right. And if it is it's fine.

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet
My Theory On the DLC
If Sakurai and the team started DLC development after the 3DS version releases in US it would mean each DLC character takes two months.
They must have worked on Mewtwo during Oct-Nov with half of him finished to show in the 50 Fact Extravaganza
Worked on Lucas in Dec-Jan (explaining why he was fully rendered in Aprils direct)
Worked on Roy Feb-Mar
Worked on Ryu Apr-May
And got them all ready for June to be released

Now...For the ballot
I believe Cloud did not win like the fans are saying (if winning the ballot is even a thing) and that Cloud was developed early in the ballot votes during June-July
Then they must've worked on they're other Ballot voted character from the votes for example "Rayman" from Aug-Sep

Then once the ballot ended that's when data miners found a extra character slot open up after DLC Pack 4 dropped meaning that they're are currently working on the final ballot character or what everyone considers THE BALLOT WINNER for example "Shovel Knight"
being worked on through Oct-Nov

Which leads for Sakurai finally presenting his last DLC wave in December releasing everyone at the same time.

Boom.Bang.Pow

Last edited:

nedskii-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nedskii
Switch FC
6236-0030-3158
You guys don't think cloud will be available to DL before December? I can see it happening. And I would hope. I'm thinkjng 2 seperate DLCs..Cloud+stage before Nintendo shows everything else for another DLC

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
My Theory On the DLC
If Sakurai and the team started DLC development after the 3DS version releases in US it would mean each DLC character takes two months.
They must have worked on Mewtwo during Oct-Nov with half of him finished to show in the 50 Fact Extravaganza
Worked on Lucas in Dec-Jan (explaining why he was fully rendered in Aprils direct)
Worked on Roy Feb-Mar
Worked on Ryu Apr-May
And got them all ready for June to be released

Now...For the ballot
I believe Cliud did not win like the fans are saying (if winning the ballot is even a thing) and that Cloud was developed early in the ballot votes during June-July
Then they must've worked on they're other Ballot voted character from the votes for example "Rayman" from Aug-Sep

Then once the ballot ended that's when data infers found a extra character slot open up after DLC Pack 4 dropped meaning that they're are currently working on the final ballot character or what everyone considers THE BALLOT WINNER for example "Shovel Knight"
being worked on through Oct-Nov

Which leads for Sakurai finally presenting his last DLC wave in December releasing everyone at the same time.

Boom.Bang.Pow
I'm getting so sick of that name.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I can just imagine the utter state of confusion most casual Nintendo fans will have if Shovel Knight was revealed.

Burruni

Smash Hero
What name?
Referring to Shovel Knight, as was boldfaced in the text.

However, Ninty, let's keep the attacks of characters off if we have nothing to add in to further a conversation.

I can just imagine the utter state of confusion most casual Nintendo fans will have if Shovel Knight was revealed.
Devil's Advocate: the utter state of confusion most nintendo fans had when they found out :snake::sonic::4ryu::4cloud: were going to be in Smash.

And I really really really really don't want to see Butt-Butt in Smash, but that's not the best argument.

Last edited:

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet
Why? He has little to no chance at this point, or do you honestly expect them to add an obscure third-party character with lno real gaming history?
Well in his defense you guys gotta start thinking outside the box, with 2 characters left it's safe to say Sakurai will not be adding anymore veterans and I'm still on the fence about him adding anymore characters from Nintendo at all... I mean if he worked on any character that was first party or even veteran don't you think he would have revealed whoever that was in the direct and have saved a third party hype character for his December broadcast? Something in my gut just tells me that the last two characters will be iconic third party characters and both Rayman and Shovel Knight represent something, Rayman is Ubisofts representation in smash (I mean he has a trophy) and Shovel Knight represents Indies and the spark of a new third party character who I guess has potential for more installments (though I can also see Snake coming back, Bomberman, Bayonetta, Or even Shantae)

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
What I'm interested in is how much of a factor the Ballot is when Sakurai and his team make decisions for new DLCs. Technically speaking the Ballot doesn't entitle us to anything, if Sakurai wanted to he could just **** off and put whoever he wants in Smash.

That's a big reason why I'm looking forward the Smash broadcast. How much influence, if at all, did the Ballot have on Cloud? Depending on the answer we'll have a better time predicting future characters, because we'll know the top Ballot runners don't automatically have the best chances of getting in.

Last edited:

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet

However, Ninty, let's keep the attacks of characters off if we have nothing to add in to further a conversation.

Devil's Advocate: the utter state of confusion most nintendo fans had when they found out :snake::sonic::4ryu::4cloud: were going to be in Smash.

And I really really really really don't want to see Butt-Butt in Smash, but that's not the best argument.
Honestly I don't care for Shovel Knight that much, I was quite tired of hearing him too lol, but I'm keeping Rayman locked as my bet. Shovel Knight is a meh for me but sense Cloud came in he kinda really opened the doors for ANYONE third party who's popular but with Japan not knowing him it does make it hard to see him in, I guess I'll just have to pray for Snake to come in to make this game something from the heavens.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You guys don't think cloud will be available to DL before December? I can see it happening. And I would hope. I'm thinkjng 2 seperate DLCs..Cloud+stage before Nintendo shows everything else for another DLC
This made me realize...

Cloud is likely the biggest 'surprise' we will get.
After this, it is back to a large amount of content, all in one one direct and one bundle, and wherein we will get veterans and Nintendo big weights.

The door for Smash 6 is now, truly, opened, though. Desire whom you will, the future is in the third parties, who see what this game is, the pantheon of game characters. Everyone will want their character in (maybe at free cost to them), but Nintendo will have, hopefully, all their big wigs in by that point. We are only missing six at this point: Dixie, Toad, K Rool, Ridley, Pokemon Trainer, and Inkling. I do hope we get Isaac and Chibi, though. And something for Advanced Wars and Rhythm Heaven. I also really do want Lip, Balloon Fighter, and Excite Biker.

Last edited:

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet
This made me realize...

Cloud is likely the biggest 'surprise' we will get.
After this, it is back to a large amount of content, all in one one direct and one bundle, and wherein we will get veterans and Nintendo big weights.

The door for Smash 6 is now, truly, opened, though. Desire whom you will, the future is in the third parties, who see what this game is, the pantheon of game characters. Everyone will want their character in (maybe at free cost to them), but Nintendo will have, hopefully, all their big wigs in by that point. We are only missing six at this point: Dixie, Toad, K Rool, Ridley, Pokemon Trainer, and Inkling. I do hope we get Isaac and Chibi, though. And something for Advanced Wars and Rhythm Heaven. I also really do want Lip, Balloon Fighter, and Excite Biker.
Well don't forget, in future smash more new characters from Nintendo will be created as well as cut characters from this roster to keep the roster from getting to big LOL, but yeah third party is something I see being smashes future...If it does get one...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Oh no, I wasn't trying to attack SK, it's just, I've heard his name waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times, and it's getting a bit tiring. 4 months will do these things to ya.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Wasn't really an anti Butt Butt post but I thought it would just be funny how after we have all these hype third party additions to the roster we get an 1 year old indie character and how casuals would react to that.

Doubt we're going to see Butt Butt anyways now that the bar has been set very high for third party characters. Only the most iconic characters are going to get in which works against Butt Butt unless YG bribed Nintendo millions of dollars to get him in the game.

This also changes my position on Banjo somewhat. I thought he was a goner at the start of the ballot but I can very well see him getting in now. Would make sense if we're only getting another 2 characters on top of Cloud. Cloud, Wolf, and Banjo would be a nice way to finish off Smash DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cloud got in. Shovel Knight's important right now. Cloud sliced and diced him and sent him back to his town.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go cry in a corner.

Shovel Knight I'm so sorry wahhhhhh!!!!

Shovel Knight: You turned your back on me Kremling Man.

No I want you to be in I would never stop supporting you.

Shovel Knight: True but this is poetic justice. *KO's me with shovel blade.*

I actually believe the rumor again. I don't know if he'll be in. But Shovel Knight I'll always stand by your side. Steal thy shovel For shovelry! And guys thanks for not giving up on Shovel Knight! Weather he gets in or not we got his back!

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Cloud got in. Shovel Knight's important right now. Cloud sliced and diced him and sent him back to his town.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go cry in a corner.

Shovel Knight I'm so sorry wahhhhhh!!!!
It's okay KM, he tried what he could.

D

Deleted member

Shovel Knight: Never give up hope Kremling Man.

Me: I won't Shovel Knight I will stand by your side forever! I believe the rumor again I still think you could be in. Steal thy shovel for shovelry. *High fives Shovel Knight.*

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Anyways, I've been hearing his name EVERYWHERE along with Strike the Earth EVERYWHERE and I honestly can't take it anymore. It's literally been, "Shovel Night this!" and, "Shovel Knight that!" for the past 4 months and it's driving me crazy, but eh, I'll shake it off.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
How exactly is Lucas a Gunner? I don't follow.
He has three projectiles (four if you count using PK Thunder to hit himself as separate) and two of his smashes are explosions. Other gunners have explosions as close-ranged attacks.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well in his defense you guys gotta start thinking outside the box, with 2 characters left it's safe to say Sakurai will not be adding anymore veterans and I'm still on the fence about him adding anymore characters from Nintendo at all... I mean if he worked on any character that was first party or even veteran don't you think he would have revealed whoever that was in the direct and have saved a third party hype character for his December broadcast? Something in my gut just tells me that the last two characters will be iconic third party characters and both Rayman and Shovel Knight represent something, Rayman is Ubisofts representation in smash (I mean he has a trophy) and Shovel Knight represents Indies and the spark of a new third party character who I guess has potential for more installments (though I can also see Snake coming back, Bomberman, Bayonetta, Or even Shantae)
I tend to think he was our final 3rd party, or the bigger reveal, because we are probably getting MUCh more content from that direct, and it could easily be more than two characters, which would mean, Cloud was probably singled out because he is the ONE to single out. The other characters, all big still, less likely stand on their own.

Certainly, Rayman and Bomberman, as much as I want them, are not a more monumental moment than Cloud. He is the start of our denouement. We arent rising hire- but if we do, it will be a huge attempt, and one that would need to be met with an even bigger shock character.

Go one way or the other- riding the middle ground is failing here.

Bayonetta, also, is not big enough. Have we not seen this by now? Bomberman, Rayman, Banjo... they could make it, but they arent a bigger deal than Cloud. That means it might as well be Nintendo.

...though, I think we have more than two left, anyway.

Kealmir

Smash Cadet
Serious question I've been meaning to ask (and will probably regret) for a while now, why do people want King. K. Rool in Smash so bad? To me it's like wanting Gruntilda, my only memories of those villains are from when before melee came out and Rare made amazing games. I mean sure he had that TV show I barely remember, but it isn't like he's a major villian like Ganon or Bowser.

D

Deleted member

I can't believe it. But browsing Tama's Twitter he brought up a conversation I had in the past. Now I'm one of the reasons he won't come back. I just wanna publicly apologize for that Tama I don't know if you can hear this. But I am sorry for calling you a self righteous prick, and a baby. That was wrong of me man so I am truly sorry. I'm a big fan and I really enjoy your stuff. I don't if Shovel Knight will get in but I support him and your part of the reason why. So thank you.

I hope you can return hear one day. Once again I'm truly sorry that was wrong of me, and I wish you the best. Have a great day!

Nintenzilla don't worry about it man. I love Shovel Knight but Cloud's where are attention should be at.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Serious question I've been meaning to ask (and will probably regret) for a while now, why do people want King. K. Rool in Smash so bad? To me it's like wanting Gruntilda, my only memories of those villains are from when before melee came out and Rare made amazing games. I mean sure he had that TV show I barely remember, but it isn't like he's a major villian like Ganon or Bowser.
Read his trophy. He's STILL the Bowser to Donkey Kong to Nintendo. K. Rool has actually only missed 3 Donkey Kong games as the main villain. Jungle Beat and the two Returns games.

DKC 1-3, DK Land 1-3, DK64, Barrel Blast, Jungle Climber, and King of Swing were all K. Rool as the main boss. (Edit: Even Donkey Conga 3, which never left Japan).

He's been a character requested since Melee and only grew stronger with his fanbase as a huge, iconic, and friggin' crafty villain with a lot of attacks that could mix into a very unique moveset.

Considering 2 of the top 10 selling SNES games were DKC 1 & 2, and the entire trilogy made up spots in like the top 15 alone arguably situates him as a massive villain of Nintendo history even if it was weighted in one era because he's still been a part of one of Nintendo's biggest series (which to this day has outsold KIRBY).

He hasn't been in a game since 2007 with Super Mario Sluggers. Hasn't been a villain since 2006 with Jungle Climber. People haven't been quiet about this. They've very vocally wanted DKC back, and while the Returns games are great, it's... an incomplete puzzile without the main villain. It's like Minish Cap being a good Zelda game but to some feels hallow with just Vaati.

Edit: TL;DR - He, like Ridley, are one of few powerhouse characters left for Nintendo. The major villain and most iconic foil in some of the biggest series (DK... once again outselling Kirby, which I find kinda outstanding). He's got star power, huge demand, and a wide arsenal to use. The only thing against him is the lack of a major recent role.

Double Edit: And... I guess the Mii costume. If you wanna make a stretch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He's The Bowser to Donkey Kong's Mario. Appeared as the main antagonist in the first three Donkey Kong Country games. And DK64. He's a king, a captain, a boxer, and a mad scientist. So he's got tons of moveset potential And he's one of the most requested characters since Melee. He's up there with Bowser and Ganondorf my boy. Plus he's an unhinged, deranged, and psychotic intelligent crocodile. Great villain these are just a few examples how could we it want him in.

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
Who doesn't want a scary looking crocodile with an eye infection in smash?

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I've been absent from the boards for awhile, but had to come back after Cloud's reveal.

Let me just say that I am in awe that this is actually a thing. I remember my middle and high school days when people were clamoring for this, but had to accept it would never happen. And now here we are. I may not be a fan of Cloud's era of final fantasy, but this is still amazing.

As for future DLC, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the upcoming Wii U bundle containing both Smash and Splatoon. This seems like a strong indicator for me that Nintendo is really pushing the IP and that perhaps Inklings as DLC could be a thing? I'd be ok with it.

I'm also surprised that some are still seriously considering Shovel Knight at this point considering the direct deconfirmation by his developer. But thats a whole other flame war.

Kealmir

Smash Cadet
He doesn't seem that iconic to me to be honest and don't get me wrong the games he first appeared in were some of the best SNES games ever made. To me it seemed like he was a cult favorite that every one started to band wagon. Sure Donkey Kong Country are amazing games that did really well but so are Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini and Diddy Kong Racing, they all share the flat Rare main Villian stereotype. Rare puts emphasis on their Heroes. They purposefully designed their Villains with boring or undesirable traits of a cartoon villian stereotype and has more in common in terms of design with Dr. Wily then major Nintendo Villain like Bowser or Ganon.

The only difference between him and "minor" Nintendo villains like Andross is that he has a humanoid form that makes sense.

It may be that I just don't like Villians being Ballot choices or maybe I'm biased to new IP's in the roster, but if we must have a Villian represent the original roster, Wolf makes a lot more sense and is a safer choice to design a move set around.

Again not to be taken seriously, my opinion obviously doesn't reflect those of others.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I dont think Wolf generates hype.
It's more like a WASP having coffe and reading the newspaper headline, "kidnapped child found."

In other words, 'Oh... that's nice.'

Wolf may be 'wanted' by a group that would rarely have considered him had he never been in the game (which is a sad way to equate a character as warranted... or rather, any character other than a Pokemon), but a sheer orgasm of excitement would never be generated by Wolf.

...yes, I want him to return.

Sakurai has worked on this game for an added 14 months at this point.
Seven characters is really a small amount- lets not continue to state it is a lot of characters- it is an extemely small amount of content considering it has been 33% of the initial games' development time.
Bro. Not only do we have a smaller dev team, but we have a team who is planning and doing it all in the same time. Smash 4 had quite some time before development actually began for planning.

There's no way that we can expect them to have an obtuse amount of DLC done. They would have to work intense and extreme hours, and that's unhealthy and unethical.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Honestly, I would be content if we only had 2 more characters after Cloud. It could be very possible that Cloud was chosen from the Ballot and that another Ballot character was chosen a long time before the Ballot ended because why wait the entire 6 months when most of the voting is done in May? The other character that probably has nothing to do with the Ballot is Wolf whom I fully expect to see in the game come December.

So yeah, 3 more characters for DLC is more than enough considering we're lucky to have DLC characters past Mewtwo (or DLC at all). Think about the complete DLC roster when everything is said and done...

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Ryu
Cloud
Wolf
Another Ballot Character

It's a great DLC roster IMO. Probably is most likely to happen given that December is stated to be the last of Smash announcements. Sakurai needs a break from all the work he's done and stuff.

omegajo

Smash Rookie
I agree with KKR frigging off of the most wanted list, but how could anyone not want a big burly hunk of man meat like Simon Belmont? Talk about an interesting moveset. Although, in retrospect, Konami has been waiting to use him for their erotic action pachinko machines for a while now so I can see him getting the Snake treatment.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All the December announcement means is that that's the last of the Smash directs. It doesn't mean Smash DLC is done, but let's be fair, Sakurai and his team worked pretty hard to give us all we have. So it ending by then would be okay too. Balance patches hopefully will continue for a while.

Last edited:

Kealmir

Smash Cadet
I agree with KKR frigging off of the most wanted list, but how could anyone not want a big burly hunk of man meat like Simon Belmont? Talk about an interesting moveset. Although, in retrospect, Konami has been waiting to use him for their erotic action pachinko machines for a while now so I can see him getting the Snake treatment.
Kojima was largely the reason Snake was in brawl not Konami, and right now nobody knows in charge of executive decisions at Konami, I don't even think Konami knows anymore.

Ok I know I'm gonna get flak for this but frankly I don't care, why in the 7 hells do so many people want and expect wolf back? It really baffles me how so many people feel like waiting 5 months for a 2 newcomers and a ****ing veteran is a fair deal.

Last edited:

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet
I tend to think he was our final 3rd party, or the bigger reveal, because we are probably getting MUCh more content from that direct, and it could easily be more than two characters, which would mean, Cloud was probably singled out because he is the ONE to single out. The other characters, all big still, less likely stand on their own.

Certainly, Rayman and Bomberman, as much as I want them, are not a more monumental moment than Cloud. He is the start of our denouement. We arent rising hire- but if we do, it will be a huge attempt, and one that would need to be met with an even bigger shock character.

Go one way or the other- riding the middle ground is failing here.

Bayonetta, also, is not big enough. Have we not seen this by now? Bomberman, Rayman, Banjo... they could make it, but they arent a bigger deal than Cloud. That means it might as well be Nintendo.

...though, I think we have more than two left, anyway.
I definitely see where your coming from as the next third party characters would have to top Cloud in the broadcast to make the hype real.
Honestly I don't care for Shantae, Bayonetta, or Bomber Man i was just talking for their supporters. But for a Rayman, Snake, or even Shovel Knight combination I think it would still be hype as they wouldnt just be in the game to be in, but would represent their own company, I mean look when that fake Rayman leak went around, everyone was hyped. But if none get in I'll be fine as my only vote was really for Rayman and I guess just having his trophy in game is fine.

And I'm just gonna say now not to expect anything too much after this direct cause it's obviously been told it's the LAST broadcast, I know that doesn't mean DLC will end, but common be realistic guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom