• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Nintendo Direct yaharr. Hopefully a character announcement.

richy90

Smash Rookie
Ivysaur and Squirtle aren't as popular as others, but all veterans have some big support, and among them they're the only ones that have completely unique movesets (besides Snake and Ice Climbers, who aren't likely for other reasons). I think that that's a point for Sakurai.
However, maybe they are more difficult to see as standalone characters compared to Charizard, who is cannonically stronger and far more popular.

who is cannonically stronger
What does this have to do with anything? If it meant anything we never would have gotten Ivysaur or squiretl in the first place. Smash doesn't follow any form of canon anyway.

You wan't canonically stronger? look at zero suit samus vs regular samus

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Mewtwo is one of the most powerful Pokemon period yet he's very meh in Smash to the point he's considered bad.
He definitely needs to be heavier and could use some more combo love or glass cannon dmg if he's going to continue to be so light.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Yh, that was my BS showing with Ivy + Squirt. Tho they do have a chance to come, perhaps if there are 6 characters, there will be 3 newcomers and with each newcomer there will be 1 brawl veteran released.

#wishfulthinking. To me Ivy + Squirt would feel like newcomers since I only ever played Smash4. :3

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It wouldnt make much sense for the dev team to have waited until the end of the ballot to start creating characters.
It depends, though, how this cycle of development is being done.
Without question, the team we have currently HAD to be doing more than a few spare mii costumes, returning stages, and tourny mode. Unless there are four people on the team, we would have had more content in that time frame.

It is likely that either
1- Several characters were started earlier, at once, because it is easier to develop several characters at a time (make all the designs, bring each through the testing process all at the same time). Or, conversely...
2- They have been working on one character at a time, continually, since the beginning, because there is not enough content we have gotten in the time frame to showcase how much time has been devoted to it.

I personally think they developed characters in two more rounds; once right after the first month of the ballot- wherein character popularity could easily be gauged, and a couple chosen, but other characters such as a couple veterans, or even a tribute Balloon Fighter, could have been formulated. The other development time, I believe, is what started at the end of the ballot. I think those are are second back of characters we will get, and that we may even get some of them by Christmas.

Either way, I dont think it is plausible we are only getting 3 more characters. Not unless he created Subspace Emissary 2.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm absolutely certain that the first ballot character we're getting will be a character highly requested world-wide and not just merely exclusively highly requested in one part of the world.

richy90

Smash Rookie
Mewtwo is one of the most powerful Pokemon period yet he's very meh in Smash to the point he's considered bad.
I've not said anything about canon strenght being translated into being a good character in smash. I'm just talking about resources. You have more options thinking a moveset for a standalone fully-evolved ("stronger", in a way) Pokémon without looking repetitive (more moves, more capabilities). It's just easier, but not a necessity. They just need to be more creative with the others.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've not said anything about canon strenght being translated into being a good character in smash. I'm just talking about resources. You have more options thinking a moveset for a standalone fully-evolved ("stronger", in a way) Pokémon without looking repetitive (more moves, more capabilities). It's just easier, but not a necessity. They just need to be more creative with the others.
That's not a good thing to describe 'strongest' with. Even then, rock a wiki and you've got plenty of possible Down B replacements, for a final smash, Frenzy Plant and Hydro Cannon could work

Would these be the ones you cued? :p

So, anyways, what's the general consensus on how likely it is to get Smash character reveals (Not costumes or stages only) this direct? I'm guessing around 80% at least?
80-95%. It's been 5 months since last characters were released, they must have some character completed already.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I'd say 95%+ at least.

I'll be shocked if there's no smash info, actually I'll be surprised if we don't have at least one character to download thursday.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
No doubt in my mind that well be getting some Smash news this upcoming direct.

Now, what character(s) to expect from said direct is another matter....

Burruni

Smash Hero
What does this have to do with anything? If it meant anything we never would have gotten Ivysaur or squiretl in the first place. Smash doesn't follow any form of canon anyway.

You wan't canonically stronger? look at zero suit samus vs regular samus
What are you talking about?
:4jigglypuff: has low defensive capability (especially not a massive HP pool) but some fairly good offenses combined with the raw power of STAB rest which is the strongest move in Pokemon.

Wait a second....

This thread is at page 25. The character "boards" general thread is only at page 5. Consider me dissapointed.

What are you talking about?
:4jigglypuff: has low defensive capability (especially not a massive HP pool) but some fairly good offenses combined with the raw power of STAB rest which is the strongest move in Pokemon.

Wait a second....
This however did not dissapoint me. Expected the rest joke from the second I saw the puff.

We live in a world where Hydro pump :4greninja: does less damage than rest :4jigglypuff: . Smash logic is dumb.

EDIT I have now realized this is off topic from DLC. Whoops.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
What about DLC modes? I don't know if they were planning on adding any more other than Tournament mode but it would be nice if they did.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
This thread is at page 25. The character "boards" general thread is only at page 5. Consider me dissapointed.

This however did not dissapoint me. Expected the rest joke from the second I saw the puff.

We live in a world where Hydro pump :4greninja: does less damage than rest :4jigglypuff: . Smash logic is dumb.
The fact that Jiggles didn't get Moonblast still upsets me.
I wanna barf mini-moons at people.

Troykv

Smash Master

Smash Logic always is weird and dumb xD

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Prediction Regarding SM4SH: A new character will appear as news for SM4SH but it'll be either a playable character or a Mii Costume. (If it is from one fanbase in this forum, then that's another possibility)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm absolutely certain that the first ballot character we're getting will be a character highly requested world-wide and not just merely exclusively highly requested in one part of the world.
Nor a veteran.
A veteran does not feel like a ballot choice.

It is like going to a restaurant that has a chef who can serve you anything, and asking for Dominoes pizza. Sure, you like it, its popular... but theres no reason to go to the special chef for it.

(Gotta love restaurant metaphors with Smash now. Thanks, Sakurai!)

Nor a veteran.
A veteran does not feel like a ballot choice.

It is like going to a restaurant that has a chef who can serve you anything, and asking for Dominoes pizza. Sure, you like it, its popular... but theres no reason to go to the special chef for it.

(Gotta love restaurant metaphors with Smash now. Thanks, Sakurai!)
This perfectly sums up how I feel about veterans being a ballot choice. It seems like such a waste of a Golden opportunity.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Its because it IS a waste of an opportunity.
I cannot fathom a veteran getting in as a ballot choice. Even if it technically were true, I cannot see it being promoted that way.

I really think we will be getting news of Chibi Robo, Ice Climbers, and one poll choice.

But hell... I'm also one of a few people that thinks we honestly could get up to 10 more characters.
I should have revealed my ideas as a leak: then when the unpopular opinion of large DLC info comes out as true, I'd be considered a prophet/insider, and could make up as many bogus claims as I wanted for the rest of Smash history. Then, with the power to move masses, I would rally support for Pokemon Trainer being added in an appropriate way.

That said... if PT is added as a character, particularly as a Pokeball user- I will change my avatar to me wearing a crown. Hell, if he has a summoning technique which changes based on number of opponents, I will also do this.

My ideal trainer uses summoning of sprites for Smash attacks- he can summon as many at once as their are opponents, so he gets 1 if its a 1v1, two if 1v1v1 or 1v2 or 2v2, etc. The trainer also uses Pokeballs as a weapon to entrap and possibly even 'train' other players, being able to summon them, command a false move, whatever. If this happens... truly miraculously... I will believe each vote was actually read, thoroughly.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I agree with the sentiment of not announcing Wolf as a ballot DLC character. No matter how much of a Wolf supporter you are it just feels like a wasted opportunity to use a ballot spot for a veteran that we've played already.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely supportive of Wolf for DLC (I'd even consider co-maining him). However, I hope he gets introduced as a DLC character independent of the Ballot. Not only will this give more chances for Ballot runners, it'll also fulfill a lot of the four character predictions we've been seeing recently.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would actually not be surprised to see all of the veterans return (with a possible exception of Snake, who I actually think may have the most difficulty- more than Pichu's self destruction, IC's programming, or a third Link). Sakurai has been clear in his loyalty to Smash veterans.

We even got Roy. Who'd 'ave thunket?

As much as anyone may try to reason as to why we got Lucas and Roy, they were strange choices. Sakurai may have actively said in the past that he likes them both, but... he has said the same about Wolf, and demonstrated it with Squirtle. There is no logic as to why we have not seen Wolf yet, or why the other two would have been chosen above him.
The option of getting several more Veterans, is not out of the question. They are easy to add and bring in salty crowds.

I would never ask for them over newcomers, but I do think we could see Wolf, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Ice Climbers, all. Perhaps even Snake, but he seems the strangest to me (to have not been in the main game despite popularity/uniqueness/etc). I think Snake may be the Gon of this game. (The only character Tekken Tag 1 didnt have was my favorite Dinosaur. Ironically, this was also due to him being a third party character, as Gon was from a cartoon strip!).

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Has nothing to do with DLC/Character Discussion
Hey guys, I know this is old but, I just want to put these up because I notice that there also a Sgt Frog parody version of the Japanese Street Fighter 2 box art:

Here are the comparisons of the posters (Enjoy!!):

Last edited:

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
So, the creator of Shovel Knight is doing an AMA same day as the direct...

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
And?
That means a lot less than Sakurai not retweeting about the direct.
Remember Ubisoft's press about a "huge reveal" only a few days after Omni's Rayman Leak?

Last edited:

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
Off topic/baiting
And?
That means a lot less than Sakurai not retweeting about the direct.
Remember Ubisoft's press about a "huge reveal" only a few days after Omni's Rayman Leak?
Speculating about a Nintendo fighting game's DLC on a casual forum is apparently super serious business.

I'll see myself out :)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
That's interesting, which reminds me, is the 2 month time limit our friend Tamaki gave us over yet? If it isn't then I'd believe there's a slight chance that those two events could be related.

Burruni

Smash Hero
That's interesting, which reminds me, is the 2 month time limit our friend Tamaki gave us over yet? If it isn't then I'd believe there's a slight chance that those two events could be related.
Yeah. It ended about on the 4th.

I still hold no belief in Butt-Butt in Smash 4.

Polan

Smash Lord
Baiting/flaming
Sad that mods went full fascist on us and shut down the character threads. The inevitable meltdowns would have been hilarious to watch especially if it its someone like Shovel Knight.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm just going to share some of my own personal thoughts and opinions in regards to Smash speculation for the up coming direct. Some of these opinions arent really well found, but they seem reasonably possible to me.

I think it's possible we will be given an announcement regarding a dlc character, which will be available soon, even after the direct. I think this character will be a preballot character, no clue if it'll be a vet, newcomer, first or third party.

I think the ballot "winner" will be announced and we'll be told its under development, with an ETA being in a few months. It might be similar to that of Mewtwo's announcement.

We might get a bit more info on ballot results but maybe only bits of info, or perhaps none at all. It might inspire some mii costumes or smash 5. There might be characters on the ballot that Nintendo doesnt want, and therefore to avoid debate and controversy they'll avoid showing it. They might talk up other first party characters ranking highly though... Then show a mii costume or something.

I think Wolf is on reserve for Star Fox Zero. Dont think we'll see him until closer to that games launch... Maybe they'll announce Wolf's download code will come packaged with SFZ. Then later he'll be for purchase on eshop after a few weeks. Just an unfound opinion/ speculation.

Sad that mods went full fascist on us and shut down the character threads. The inevitable meltdowns would have been hilarious to watch especially if it its someone like Shovel Knight.
Good news for you is the meltdowns will just be in my group.

Bad news for me is i'll have to deal with them. . .

Really hoping for Dixie or Wonder Red. Red may not have much of a shot but i've been having, in the words of Franky, a SUUUUUUUUUPERRRRRR week and it wouldn't even surprise me anymore.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about the last post, guys. The last post was off topic because I put up 3 posters of the Street Fighter 2 boxart to compare the differences. I though it was not off topic. Next time I won't do it again. I didn't mean to do anything wrong. Anyway, what the next Mii costumes we are going to get as DLC? Since there is a Santa hat, I could see we could get a Santa Claus outfit for the Mii Brawler and considered that Christmas is on next month. So what do you think guys?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Sorry about the last post, guys. The last post was off topic because I put up 3 posters of the Street Fighter 2 boxart to compare the differences. I though it was not off topic. Next time I won't do it again. I didn't mean to do anything wrong. Anyway, what the next Mii costumes we are going to get as DLC? Since there is a Santa hat, I could see we could get a Santa Claus outfit for the Mii Brawler and considered that Christmas is on next month. So what do you think guys?
I think a Santa Claus Gunner would be cool. He could shoot things out of his bag haha.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
No spoilers yet!?

I am disappointed. This site is usually good at leaks.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
No spoilers yet!?

I am disappointed. This site is usually good at leaks.
I guess Nintendo did a good job of staying covered for once. Hats of to Ninty in the no leaks department. But tbh the suspense is killing me and I want a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom