• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

richy90

Smash Rookie
Leak said we were getting information about the new Nintendo Accounts and rewards system, what makes sense. Maybe it's gonna imply also mobile gestion of the account, and that's related to miitomo. Leak can be false, but that doesn't deconfirm anything.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Unrealistic hopes for this direct.

Ultra Metroid by Next Level Games for WiiU.

K. Rool & Wolf for Smash 4 as characters. Saffron City and New Pork City return as stages.

Donkey Kong Country 3: Crocageddon

Pokemon Z announcement.

Kirby WiiU.

Super Mario Sunshine HD.

Zelda Twilight Princess HD & Zelda U getting a proper title.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
What makes you think only one part of the leak is fake?
I think you either misinterpreted my comment or I worded it wrong, I'm going with the latter. What I should have said is "Remember that leak that predicted a direct on the 12? He also mentioned we'd be getting 3 characters, GET HYPE OR READY FOR DISSAPOINTMENT" something along those lines, I was never implying it to be fake, quite the opposite in fact

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think you either misinterpreted my comment or I worded it wrong, I'm going with the latter. What I should have said is "Remember that leak that predicted a direct on the 12? He also mentioned we'd be getting 3 characters, GET HYPE OR READY FOR DISSAPOINTMENT" something along those lines, I was never implying it to be fake, quite the opposite in fact
It IS fake, this is on the Direct link 'Please note that the presentation will not feature any updates on NX and mobile.' which contradicts the leak

Bradli, Nintendo said it themselves it's not about the NX or mobile stuff

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It IS fake, this is on the Direct link 'Please note that the presentation will not feature any updates on NX and mobile.' which contradicts the leak

Bradli, Nintendo said it themselves it's not about the NX or mobile stuff
Oh, well then I'm dumb and missed that part of the post. Muh bad.

richy90

Smash Rookie
That not necesarilly contradicts the leak. As I said, Miitomo will be linked to the Nintendo Accounts, and they're probably gonna explain how the new system works. It's not like the leak said anything about NX or a new mobile game. So, no, that's not a deconfirmation.

Last edited:

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
I think they didn't put mobiles to not give everything. I mean, miitomo is the only mobile game, so ....

richy90

Smash Rookie
Miitomo is a mobile game smh
From what we know, Miitomo is not a game, but more like a social network that will be linked to the Nintendo Account. If they are gonna explain the new system, it's logical to explain how it works.

Burruni

Smash Hero
From what we know, Miitomo is not a game, but more like a social network that will be linked to the Nintendo Account. If they are gonna explain the new system, it's logical to explain how it works.
Yes, it's logical to do so.

However, the leak said that Nintendo would not be touching the entire fields of Mobile and NX.

Miitomo, as far as we have been told, is all that Nintendo has at the forefront of Mobile with more, proper, games coming in the future.

Therefore, saying that there be Miitomo contradicts that there will be nothing from Mobile or NX.

Last edited:

richy90

Smash Rookie
IT'S. BEEN. CONFIRMED. FOR. MOBILE. What part of this do you not seem to get?
The one where you don't get that it could be only a part of the new accounts system that we don't know yet how will work because Club Nintendo were suspended.

Leak said "Details on Nintendo Account, Miitomo, and My Nintendo". As a whole sentence, not Miitomo itself. That is, they'll explain how all this new things works. So, you're suposing they're not gonna say anything about that just because a part of the new accounts system works from a mobile app?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Again, Miitomo seems to be Nintendo's version of Playstation Home; which means it'd be more or less a social hub with minigames. Not really a proper mobile game.

Besides, they'd be fools not to at least elaborate on how the hell the new Club Nintendo replacement is going to function.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's because other franchises don't have over 700 possible candidates as playable characters. Charizard is one of the most popular pokemon period, and Sakurai DID want to have switching and evolution iirc, but you can't make a moveset out of breeding, collecting badges, move tutors, etc.
Animal Crossing has 400. It gets one rep and its the antithesis of a character in by popularity.

Just because there are 700 Pokemon does not mean all are actually viable, either. Let's directly rule out at least 200, who have no limb and are as unviable as other floating heads in the Nintendo universe such as Andross or Dr K.

The fact that there are so many characters is all the more reason that the ones chosen should try to represent the majority, such as Villager with Animal Crossing, rather than just choosing a couple that stand out and end up appealing to even smaller crowds who did not get their 'favorite' in. Popularity is a better argument when it comes to games with smaller characters. Even Fire Emblem, which has a number of characters, chooses primarily characters who are important to the franchise- primarily the original protagonist, the two which are most recurring and represent then two separate fighting styles (Marth and Ike), and then a magic user to try to appeal to the essence of the series.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Animal Crossing has 400. It gets one rep and its the antithesis of a character in by popularity.

Just because there are 700 Pokemon does not mean all are actually viable, either. Let's directly rule out at least 200, who have no limb and are as unviable as other floating heads in the Nintendo universe such as Andross or Dr K.

The fact that there are so many characters is all the more reason that the ones chosen should try to represent the majority, such as Villager with Animal Crossing, rather than just choosing a couple that stand out and end up appealing to even smaller crowds who did not get their 'favorite' in. Popularity is a better argument when it comes to games with smaller characters. Even Fire Emblem, which has a number of characters, chooses primarily characters who are important to the franchise- primarily the original protagonist, the two which are most recurring and represent then two separate fighting styles (Marth and Ike), and then a magic user to try to appeal to the essence of the series.
Animal Crossing JUST got an addition, not to mention Tom Nook and Isabelle are popular AC characters, so they're more likely than anything. Fire Emblem also doesn't work as despite there being many characters, notice how we only have characters that are the main characters outside Lucina, popular and important to the plot. With Pokemon, you have more than 100 characters, popularity IS a factor. Stop whining about 'popularity shouldn't be the only factor' despite the fact Sakurai confirmed GF helps choosing pokemon based on marketing

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
This is why Pidgey should be chosen, he represents every Pokémon you find in the grass in your starting village.
The birds of this kind are more common than say, the Ratatas.

Power to the Pidgey, people.
Power to the Pidgey

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Honestly, I'm thinking we may be getting a BIG GREEN KROC headed our way soon; he's proven very popular for both Japanese and American voters, Retro's shown interest in using K.Rool again and overall his fans have turned him from a well-remembered but forgotten character into one of the most famous Ballot contenders.

There is no way that Nintendo cannot seriously think that a costume is good enough for K.Rool with all the votes he'd been getting even after the costume was revealed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly, I'm thinking we may be getting a BIG GREEN KROC headed our way soon; he's proven very popular for both Japanese and American voters, Retro's shown interest in using K.Rool again and overall his fans have turned him from a well-remembered but forgotten character into one of the most famous Ballot contenders.

There is no way that Nintendo cannot seriously think that a costume is good enough for K.Rool with all the votes he'd been getting even after the costume was revealed.
If K.Rool is chosen, I doubt he's coming Thursday, Sakurai hasn't even retweeted the direct tweets iirc, not to mention I think a month's a wee bit too little dev time

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Would it be safe to say Pikmin 4, since it's almost completed according to Miyamoto, and Twilight Princess HD will probably be revealed this direct? If so, that's a significant chunk of the direct we already know about being taken up, although I'm so happy Pikmin 4's a thing and that we're just getting a direct I wouldn't even care, but, outside of smash news, if new Pikmin and Zelda games don't excite you I'd recommend to not your hopes get too high.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If K.Rool is chosen, I doubt he's coming Thursday, Sakurai hasn't even retweeted the direct tweets iirc, not to mention I think a month's a wee bit too little dev time
I doubt they waited to the scheduled end of the ballot to start making characters though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is a reminder that this is a thread purely for Smash DLC discussion. Please take all General Direct stuff to a Social thread, or it will be treated as spam.

As well, discussing fake leaks here is frowned upon, considering the November 12 "leak" is proven false. Any further discussion about it will be met with infractions as well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Because then the dev team has time to actually start work on the character(s) decided before revealing them.
I feel like it's ass backwards to say that as they're going to need to have a model at the very least when revealing a character, not to mention there's the possibility there were other options Sakurai preferred but didn't see until after the ballot ended. Granted, I think the king should be playable, but I highly doubt he's got that much of a chance at being revealed on Thursday

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I feel like it's *** backwards to say that as they're going to need to have a model at the very least when revealing a character, not to mention there's the possibility there were other options Sakurai preferred but didn't see until after the ballot ended. Granted, I think the king should be playable, but I highly doubt he's got that much of a chance at being revealed on Thursday
Hence why I said "soon", not "this week"; I don't think we'll get K.Rool revealed in this Direct if he is the chosen character. But to be fair, they didn't reveal Mewtwo until he had a model, and Roy/Lucas/Ryu didn't even get revealed until they had been pretty much completed; Sakurai's had a trend of only revealing DLC characters when they have something substantial to give the reveal dramatic impact.

Having a model ready for that character right at the reveal is about as dramatically impactful as dropping a hype bomb on us, so that's a logical move to make.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I believe this will be shown (doesn't need to be released right after):
4 characters:
1 newcomer - K Rool with 1 Stage.
3 Veterans - Wolf + Squirt - + Ivy at a much later date. 1 last Brawl stage being New Pork City.
Unrealistic hopes for this direct.

Ultra Metroid by Next Level Games for WiiU.

K. Rool & Wolf for Smash 4 as characters. Saffron City and New Pork City return as stages.

Donkey Kong Country 3: Crocageddon

Pokemon Z announcement.

Kirby WiiU.

Super Mario Sunshine HD.

Zelda Twilight Princess HD & Zelda U getting a proper title.
Poke Z already confirmed for next year but they could show footage!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Animal Crossing JUST got an addition, not to mention Tom Nook and Isabelle are popular AC characters, so they're more likely than anything. Fire Emblem also doesn't work as despite there being many characters, notice how we only have characters that are the main characters outside Lucina, popular and important to the plot. With Pokemon, you have more than 100 characters, popularity IS a factor. Stop whining about 'popularity shouldn't be the only factor' despite the fact Sakurai confirmed GF helps choosing pokemon based on marketing
I didnt say popularity shouldnt be a factor- if you cannot read the entirety of my points, don't claim to understand my point, and damned well dont call it whining. I've justified why it is an absurd rubric, all you've done is say 'much character options.' That isnt a defense on why popularity is the sole reasoning for character additions in Smash. Please attempt to explain why it is the only factor, rather than claiming it is my only argument (ignoring my paragraphs of valid points in the process). Until you do this, I will not dignify any more of your responses with any validity.

What I did say- deciding that popularity is the only factor is absurd. I have already attributed this to The Pokemon Company being difficult, but that doesnt make the representation okay.

There is a main character to Pokemon, and he is the main character in all the games. Or, the main avatar.
I guess trying to get people to justify their responses on Pokemon is kind of like trying to get someone to explain Shovel Knight... it just wont happen.

I think we are going to get a big Smash Package. Several characters*, many smaller things along the way (possibly including but not limited in possibility to) new events, tournament expansion, stage builder updates, online features, items/ATs, amiibo functionality, minigames (maybe returning old ones), and more one-player mode options (could be classic story mode, adventure mode from melee, or more likely- something that we don't expect). In short, I expect the answer to what theyve been up to in this extra year of content development.
...and of course, mii costumes, stages, and the amiibo of Ryu, Roy, and Lucas. Maybe even a special event amiibo.
We will surely see the four new animal crossing amiibo... but we may even get news of series 2 for the cards.

*In regard to Smash characters, I expect either a large amount, or a character with undisputed outcry- they need to generate hype again, we feel let down as an audience.

I do not want to hype my expectations, but I do expect Nintendo will try to compensate for the small amount of information we have been given this year, the poorly received E3, and also- to kick off the new presentation of directs with a bang (and right before Holiday buying season- what a good time to do so).

UPCOMING GAMES WE COULD SEE: Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing Party, Fire Emblem something, Starfox U, Zelda U, Xenoblade, Pokemon Go, Metroid.
I think we are absolutely going to get a new game announced, too. I'm hoping it is from Camelot or Retro (crossing fingers for Golden Sun... as always).

I expect them to announce the fact that they will be at 16 malls across America to promote the Holiday gaming season. I think this, along with the direct, will be indicative of a big Holiday Season marketing plan.
[Note: I saw my first Holiday commercial for Nintendo the other day- it had Link, Pikachu, and Mario, promoting Triforce Heroes, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, and Smash Bros, respectively. Not only was this a push for their three biggest franchises- and reminiscent of Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman- but it showed me that with another big push for Smash Bros, something nice and meaty really could be on the way].

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
My best bet is Wolf. I don't think we'll be getting anything new until 2016. The ballot just closed not so long ago and Sakurai has made it very clear that characters are hard to make, even veterans.
However, Sakurai is an unpredictable man. He could have a little surprise for us and I hope that little surprise is Sceptile. Unlikely but I would throw all my money to the screen if both WOLF and SCEPTILE are announced in the same direct.

One thing I'm sure of is that we're getting more Mii costumes and possibly a stage.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
User was warned for this post
Would it be safe to say Pikmin 4, since it's almost completed according to Miyamoto, and Twilight Princess HD will probably be revealed this direct? If so, that's a significant chunk of the direct we already know about being taken up, although I'm so happy Pikmin 4's a thing and that we're just getting a direct I wouldn't even care, but, outside of smash news, if new Pikmin and Zelda games don't excite you I'd recommend to not your hopes get too high.
I'll need to see Pikmin 4 looking really good to get me excited - but I still think it's coming to the NX Home/Handheld.

I'm only looking forward to, in this order:
1.TP HD
2.Fire Emblem Fates
3.Smash
4. My Nintendo
5. Any Surprises (main one probbably meant to be TP HD)

Burruni

Smash Hero
I believe this will be shown (doesn't need to be released right after):
4 characters:
1 newcomer - K Rool with 1 Stage.
3 Veterans - Wolf + Squirt - + Ivy at a much later date. 1 last Brawl stage being New Pork City.

Poke Z already confirmed for next year but they could show footage!
Didn't hear the news on Z.

Frankly, I don't see any veterans besides Wolf at this point. Ivy and Squirt lack massive popularity, Snake and Icies have nothing improved from what kept them off the main disc, and Pichu and Yink have worse popularity than Ivy & Squirt AND Sakurai stating that Melee characters were basically made from scratch with that incarnation as a "goal."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom