• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
muh fur imblm tho

As someone who adores Pokemon, I think that outside of a bit too much Gen I too my liking, the roster's just fins
Fire Emblem would be even better. Once they lose a match they disappear from the character selection and can never be selected ever again. When is Sakurai going to represent this franchise properly? GET IT TOGETHER

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Galacta Knight as an OP Meta Knight clone
How would a character meant to be an OP of another character be balanced?
Also, why Toon Zelda instead of Tetra?

They should take it a step further than that. The Pokemon should only be allowed to attack until after the other players have attacked them.
How else do you expect them to pick a playable character from a series with 700+ candidates where most of them could be considered equally important? I'd say popularity is a pretty good deciding factor when it comes to Pokemon.
This doesn't make any sense.
I've already addressed all these points. A series with many characters does not mean there are none are more important. Again, we have a freaking protagonist of the series who is M.I.A.

As my post doesnt make sense to you, and your entire means of response is just to say that you think it doesnt, then I wont bother responding to you anymore. I can sense this turning personal, so I will drop it here. I would hope the mods address the mockery you both have presented, as they tend to get upset when I do so myself.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Guys, he does have a point.
Pokémon is not about starters and legendaries alone.
It's about catching. Gotta have them all
Starting with your Squirtle and ending with your Mewtwo.
But the road between those isn't in Smash Bros.

Even the first couple of Pokémon you catch yourself, the crux of your entire adventure and maybe even your nostalgia for the game aren't represented.
The might the series gave you by making you able to catch a living being and using them as the cornerstone of an animal army isn't represented.

**** Starters, your adventure started when you caught your first Pokémon with your bare Pokéballs.
The basics of Pokémon is winning an army, not getting them shoved in your hands
The first battle you won is not represented

This blasphemy should stop.
This mistake should be fixed as soon as possible
This is why Pidgey should be DLC.

POWER TO THE PIDGEY :016:

There's some kind of communist story about the hard workers and the everyday man is getting shafted but meh.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Fire Emblem would be even better. Once they lose a match they disappear from the character selection and can never be selected ever again. When is Sakurai going to represent this franchise properly? GET IT TOGETHER
I can't believe they didn't make it so Mario dies in 2 hits, oh and peach can't be playable because she's been kidnapped.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
User was warned for this post
This conversation beckons the shrieking ignorance of a toddler. A sad day for smashboards when this is the community.

EDIT: Mod who finds THIS to be out of line, despite my attempts to walk away from the situation and after being tag team mocked, feel free to contact me, as I have been trying to contact you about your decision on what be your terminology regarding flaming means.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I would love to see Dark Matter... but that brings me to the point that I would also like to see Andross be playable. There is just an unnecessary consensus that it could not be done, with which as a premise, I disagree.
I'm not sure if it's possible since he's so huge, but if there's a way he could feasibly work I'd be open to him joining, he's certainly a worthy enough candidate.
Also, you posted three number ones. I see the ranking... but I'm surprised there is anyone over Jirachi.
There's nobody above Jirachi, those three number ones were because I want those three equally as much as each other :p.

But Smash is meant to be a casual game, so Casual Mode is always enabled
We should just patch Fire Emblem's death mechanic into Melee instead then:troll:.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He's already big mario though
D'oh
Guys, he does have a point.
Pokémon is not about starters and legendaries alone.
It's about catching. Gotta have them all
Starting with your Squirtle and ending with your Mewtwo.
But the road between those isn't in Smash Bros.

Even the first couple of Pokémon you catch yourself, the crux of your entire adventure and maybe even your nostalgia for the game aren't represented.
The might the series gave you by making you able to catch a living being and using them as the cornerstone of an animal army isn't represented.

**** Starters, your adventure started when you caught your first Pokémon with your bare Pokéballs.
The basics of Pokémon is winning an army, not getting them shoved in your hands
The first battle you won is not represented

This blasphemy should stop.
This mistake should be fixed as soon as possible
This is why Pidgey should be DLC.

POWER TO THE PIDGEY :016:

There's some kind of communist story about the hard workers and the everyday man is getting shafted but meh.
I've missed the Pidgey propaganda tbh. But what if I first caught a Rattata?
I've already addressed all these points. A series with many characters does not mean there are none are more important. Again, we have a freaking protagonist of the series who is M.I.A.
True, but when you have more than 700 choices, you need to think 'what would satisfy the majority of fans?' and not every Pokemon mechanic can be represented in movesets, such as breeding or collecting badges. How would you implement that? I'm genuinely curious who could represent that and how

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
A series with many characters does not mean there are none are more important. Again, we have a freaking protagonist of the series who is M.I.A.
This sentence doesn't make any sense, like, at all.

I still don't know how you'd rep breeding. Do you want all Pokemon on the field to just drop everything and get busy? Do you want Pikachu to go Yoshi style and start throwing eggs which contain little Pichus in them?

As my post doesnt make sense to you, and your entire means of response is just to say that you think it doesnt, then I wont bother responding to you anymore. I can sense this turning personal, so I will drop it here. I would hope the mods address the mockery you both have presented, as they tend to get upset when I do so myself.
I thought you were done with this anyway?

This conversation beckons the shrieking ignorance of a toddler. A sad day for smashboards when this is the community.
You don't like it when you're mocked but then you immediately mock others.

Last edited:

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
Has the subject of Nintendo ever making additional color costumes for DLC been addressed yet? I feel like some characters (specifically Lucina and Pit) could really benefit from more colors and I would gladly pay for them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Has the subject of Nintendo ever making additional color costumes for DLC been addressed yet? I feel like some characters (specifically Lucina and Pit) could really benefit from more colors and I would gladly pay for them.
I personally think palette swap/alts as DLC aren't a very Sakurai thing to do, if they do happen, they better be stupid cheap too

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
D'oh

True, but when you have more than 700 choices, you need to think 'what would satisfy the majority of fans?' and not every Pokemon mechanic can be represented in movesets, such as breeding or collecting badges. How would you implement that? I'm genuinely curious who could represent that and how
Honestly, and not so humbly, I think a Pokemon Trainer that represents quick summons (which would correlate to battle strategy) and the Pokeball as a weapon, serves the majority of the franchise well.
There are other ways it could be done, and at least Lucario helps rep the abilities of the Pokemon... but I try not to think to hard on what could be done, because the likelihood is that Pokemon will continue to be represented with just random Pokemon at this point. Again though, strange that even Animal Crossing isnt given this sort of treatment.

I personally think palette swap/alts as DLC aren't a very Sakurai thing to do, if they do happen, they better be stupid cheap too
Considering other companies usually add alts for 50 cents or a dollar, I think the content we have gotten has already been super cheap in comparison. Five dollars for a character in two versions of the game? Much better than spending a dollar on a costume, as is done by other companies.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
They did recently do a whole set of alts for Marth.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly, and not so humbly, I think a Pokemon Trainer that represents quick summons (which would correlate to battle strategy) and the Pokeball as a weapon, serves the majority of the franchise well.
There are other ways it could be done, and at least Lucario helps rep the abilities of the Pokemon... but I try not to think to hard on what could be done, because the likelihood is that Pokemon will continue to be represented with just random Pokemon at this point. Again though, strange that even Animal Crossing isnt given this sort of treatment.
I had an idea in which PKMN trainer acts like a Jojo character, summoning characters in every attack, though the attacks would be pretty laggy I reckon

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I find it very frustrating that they can make dozens upon dozens of costumes for Mii characters yet never even mention the possibility of alts for characters. I'd love to be able to play as OoT Ganondorf and Sheik again.

Its been proven the selections aren't random. They're either chosen for popularity or promotional reasons. And they're both very good reasons for Pokemon existing in Smash.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
D'oh

Then you should reconsider your decisions.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Its been proven the selections aren't random. They're either chosen for popularity or promotional reasons. And they're both very good reasons for Pokemon existing in Smash.
Popularity shouldnt be the dictate of every character chosen for a series; notice how all other series' representation directly opposes this? Pokemon is no special in that way, yet is treated as if popularity is the only thing that could be of service in choosing characters.

Im nearly certain we got PT in Brawl because Sakurai wanted to capture the essence of the series. I have hope he still desires to do so.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
How about Medusa or Hades from Kid Icarus? I wanted them both since before the game released but every time I ever brought it up I was bombarded with "KID ICARUS HAS TOO MUCH REPRESENTATION IN SMASH ALREADY HURR DURR NEED RIDLEY". But seriously Hades and Medusa are two characters I would buy in a heartbeat.
I'd buy them before you still. :p
pokemon is one of the biggest series in existence. IT can afford as many characters it wants without being "overrepped." Same for Mario.

He actually is popular in or two circles apparently (gamefaqs and Neogaf iif I remember correctly)

But if he had a leak backing him up? I guarantee everyone would be talking about him. People talk about Wayforward's history with Nintendo. Phoenix has been on GBA, DS, 3ds, and Wii U and has sold a hell of a lot more.

(Irony of just saying we should have more diversity and then putting down options)
Sorry, but as the owner of the Viridi thread and an avid supporter of her, Medusa and Hades would make me sad. It has nothing to do with wanting other series representation (I have shown my distaste for repping enough.. . although I do really want Ridley) it's just I can't stop my bias from clouding my opinion.

Scythe/staff+nature powers+claws+palm lasers+not being dead>all
I want all 3. However I simply want Medusa first, then I don't mind if it's Hades or Viridi that is second. KI characters are all so unique but fairly unlikely to get that many in even by end of Smash 5's DLC's. -.-

Would it be weird if I asked you to list 10 new characters you want for the ballot?
I mean new, so not veterans such as Wolf. (I'm not against these guys, I just want to know what new characters people would like to see. Just to clarify.)
I'm not really sure of mine. I really like the idea of Bandana Waddle Dee, I'm good with Shantae, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
  1. Medusa
  2. King K Rool
  3. Shantae
  4. Impa
  5. Bayonetta
  6. Ivysuar
  7. Wolf
  8. Inkling
  9. Rayman
  10. Hades..........11.Squirtle 12. Snake 13. Viridi 14. Krystal 15. Dixie

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Would it be weird if I asked you to list 10 new characters you want for the ballot?
I mean new, so not veterans such as Wolf. (I'm not against these guys, I just want to know what new characters people would like to see. Just to clarify.)
I'm not really sure of mine. I really like the idea of Bandana Waddle Dee, I'm good with Shantae, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
1. Sylux
2. Rayman
3. King K. Rool

I'm sorry, outside of Snake these are the only three newcomers I'd possibly be interested in as DLC. Nobody else piques my interest.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let's cool it with the jokes a bit, guys. There was quite a bit of it on the last page or so. Try to keep discussion meaningful.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Popularity shouldnt be the dictate of every character chosen for a series; notice how all other series' representation directly opposes this? Pokemon is no special in that way, yet is treated as if popularity is the only thing that could be of service in choosing characters.

Im nearly certain we got PT in Brawl because Sakurai wanted to capture the essence of the series. I have hope he still desires to do so.
That's because other franchises don't have over 700 possible candidates as playable characters. Charizard is one of the most popular pokemon period, and Sakurai DID want to have switching and evolution iirc, but you can't make a moveset out of breeding, collecting badges, move tutors, etc.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
One of my most wanted Pokémon is :038:, simply because she's my favorite. I came up with a pretty strange idea for her once where she'd use Imprison as a side special. If used on a Pokémon, it would briefly negate the activation of the move in that Pokemon's moveset that Ninetales also used.

Ninetales would use Flamethrower as a standard special, it would act similarly to Robo Beam. Quick Attack would be the up special, and would have only one dash that is stronger than one of Pikachu's dashes, with more range. Down special would be Substitute, it would act closer to what it does in Pokémon.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
For Pokemon I just want Ivy & Squirt back. I know I said this so many times before but I'm not intrested in Pokemon so any new Pokemon that could get in Smash I won't care about until they are actually playable.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I would imagine the Ice Climbers having one fighting and the other one in the background of the stage, like Pokemon Trainer, cheering on the one that's fighting.

Nothing about Zero Suit Samus makes sense outside of neutral b. Everything else was invented because **** power suit samus ever being good again.

top 10 because I can
1. Viridi
2. Ridley
3. Wonder Red
4. Edea Lee (Bravely Default)
5. Dixie Kong
6. Phoenix Wright
7. Toad with a captain toad alt
8. Sora (yes it's absurd. Yes I know)
9. Inklings
10. K rool

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I would imagine the Ice Climbers having one fighting and the other one in the background of the stage, like Pokemon Trainer, cheering on the one that's fighting.
I don't think thier formula will ever change. Why should it? It either works and they are in or it doesn't work and they are not in.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I'm going to go ahead and post my top 50 most wanted newcomers. Just beware, some of these choices are oddballs.

50) Impa
49) Pico
48) Diskun
47) Blood Falcon
46) Balloon Fighter
45) Tingle
44) Shy Guy
43) Baby Luigi
42) John Raimi
41) Bugzzy
40) Bonkers
39) Ghirahim
38) Bubbles
37) Roy Koopa
36) Corrin
35) King Boo
34) King Hippo
33) Goombario
32) Leif
31) Felix
30) Cranky Kong
29) Blue Toad & Yellow Toad
28) Tharja
27) Dark Samus
26) Gengar
25) Genesect
24) Excitebiker
23) Samurai Goroh
22) Baby Mario
21) Dark Link
20) Mesprit
19) Ninetales
18) Matthew
17) Nibbles
16) Jura
15) Sceptile
14) Waluigi
13) Kamek
12) Black Shadow
11) Daisy
10) Ninten
9) Midna
8) Black Mage
7) King K. Rool
6) Urban Champion
5) Dynal
4) Isaac
3) Daitoryo
2) Bandana Waddle Dee
1) Maxwell

Yeah, I'm a guy with dreams.

Troykv

Smash Master
Nothing about Zero Suit Samus makes sense outside of neutral b. Everything else was invented because **** power suit samus ever being good again.

top 10 because I can
1. Viridi
2. Ridley
3. Wonder Red
4. Edea Lee (Bravely Default)
5. Dixie Kong
6. Phoenix Wright
7. Toad with a captain toad alt
8. Sora (yes it's absurd. Yes I know)
9. Inklings
10. K rool
Poor Power Suit Samus, she only is good in Melee (even in SSB64 could be considered meh at best).

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'll make a wishlist just for the sake of it:

1) Professor Layton.
He's still my most wanted character. I think Layton was one of the best series of the last generation: 6 main titles, a movie and even a spin-off. It has enormous style (just think about the music or the possibilities for the stage) and yes, he can work as a fighting character, exactly like every ****ing single videogame character ever created. I think Luke should be part of his final smash. Don Pablo could be an assist. Also I deserve a Layton amiibo. I do think that if a Level-5 rep will ever appear though, it'll probably be a Youkai Watch one first, sadly.
2) Paper Mario.
Risking an over-abundance of Mario characters, I still think Paper deserves a spot. I imagine him as a fusion between Mr. Game & Watch and Pikmin & Olimar. The party of his games should definitely be implemented in his moveset somehow, maybe his whole gimmick could be an entirely customizable moveset: every special (normal, up, side and down) has three different allies as possible move. For example, his up-B could be Paracarry helping him float, or a Pixl, or the little Yoshi from Thousand-Year Door giving him a boost jump.
3) Yoshimitsu.
Representing both Tekken and Soul Calibur, and also being arguably one of the most popular characters in both franchises, Yoshimitsu is a no-brainer for me. Ryu proved that you can put a fighting game character in Smash and make not only interesting, but one of the most fun characters of the game to play as. Yoshimitsu's moveset oozes Smash style. Just think about the Katana helicopter, the jumping rod move, gaining health back as his down-B... It's ****ing perfect.
4) Ridley.
Yep.
5) King K. Rool.
Smash Bros. needs two things imho, essentially: TANKS and VILLAINS. K. Rool fits both and also serves as a totally deserving third rep for Donkey Kong. I seriously think there are too many smallish characters in Smash, and not enough heavy dudes. Even some of the heaviest characters don't look tanks at all to me (Palutena for example). Smash needs some serious fat.
6) Ganon.
In pig form. I would gladly sacrifice Ganondorf for him. He looks badass and silly, he represents a part of Zelda that has been completely forgotten by Smash Bros. (the 2D ones) and would work similar to Palutena, but even heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom