• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Well then. Who would've thought that Bayonetta was the one to top the ballot? Cloud already a pretty big shocker, but I guess that wasn't enough for Sakurai. Now we have Bayonetta to literally go out with a bang, and it looks like they WERE able to tone down her style yet maintain the spirit of the character. I didn't think that she'd make it, but now that she did, my interest is piqued a bit.

Some people complain about Corrin getting in(not me mind you)because he's another FE character, but we can take solace in the fact that, like :4robinm:, he's not just a plain old swordsman. This alone may convince me to try him out.

The only thing that disappointed me about this direct was the notable lack of :wolf:. I guess it just wasn't his time. Oh well, maybe in the future.

As expected, there is quite a bit of salt flowing around here. It's not the end of the world, people. I will say this though, and I've said it elsewhere before: a Direct just isn't completely worthwhile without a bit of salt at the end. Not trying to fan any flames, but that's just how I feel about it.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Brawl's roster was better, despite it having less characters.
I agree.
Prior to Today, I would have given a slight edge to smash 4, primarily because of Mario Vs. Sonic Vs. Megaman Vs. Pac Man. There were a few other really good choices, like Duck Hunt and Villager.
But no longer.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
No new game modes.... shame!

Shame!!!
Not a thing for us to really expect, but really a shame....
He needs a job at Intelligent Systems ASAP moreso than he needed to creare Kid Icarus Uprising after Brawl. I mean, this can't be coincidence.
Who knows bro...who knows...
Brawl's roster was better, despite it having less characters.
And don't forget not much clones, no Roy, and no Mewtwo.
I really had thought Wolf will be in, just a bit sad that he didn't make it.
Would've looked better with King K.Rool's crown. King of trolling, definitely.

Enjoy your new job at Intelligent Systems dude bro.
If King K Rool was worldwide No.1, maybe he will wear that crown.

I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I agree.
Prior to Today, I would have given a slight edge to smash 4, primarily because of Mario Vs. Sonic Vs. Megaman Vs. Pac Man. There were a few other really good choices, like Duck Hunt and Villager.
But no longer.
lmao so a ballot winner and a FE character ruins all that? wat. I mean, i dont' want Corrin either, mostly because I don't even know who he/she is, but how does that at ALL take away from the rest of the game???

Luig

Confused
I just realized how depressing this is....
Development is winding to a close, and so is this thread.....

Let's turn this into the General Patch Notes Speculation thread! :troll:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I'm honestly surprised and overjoyed that absolutely none of the characters that the speculation community overhyped got into the game while the quality characters slipped on by instead.
Chainsaw robin is meh(mainly because i didn't like the manner the trailer was conducted), but Freakin bayonetta and cloud were both beyond my wildest dreams

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So...only predictions I got right were Cloud being released today and the Geno Mii costume...

My Reactions:

Corrin-really Sakubias? Out of all characters to add to promote a new title you picked Corrin?

was a little salty tbh...
----
Bayonetta: Sakurai, what are you doing!? First another Fire Emblem character and now you're adding another Kid Ica...

*Bayonetta appears*

WHHHAAAAATTTT!?...

Did not expect Bayonetta of all people to actually win the ballot...

I have to say congrats to all Bayonetta supporters, you guys stuck to your guns (all four of them)...
Was also disappointed that we didn't get any additional game modes or music DLC (outside of Fates and Bayo of course)

As disappointed (and perhaps a bit salty) as I am...I do have to say that both Corrin and Bayonetta look pretty fun to play as...

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Well Masahiro Sakaurai, it's been fun, but I honestly prefer it if you don't come back for Smash 5. Like George Lucas and Mike/Bryan before you, you've ran your course.You catered to yourself and love for Awakening/Uprising for Smash 4 and your lies (Bayonetta 2 bombed, where was her silent majority then). All while neglecting the Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Star Fox fans. None of those franchises are dead. May you have good fortunes and your health improve.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Corrin looks cool because he's pretty much a lance using dragon and Bayonetta's, well, Bayonetta and classy as all get-out. In a strange turn of events, I actually care more about he Mii costumes. After 15 years of supporting him in Smash, I finally got Geno and, of my top 5, Takamaru and Ashley will be joining in February. Despite not being real characters, it's still strangely satisfying to have them in this form and I think this means good things for Takamaru and Ashley in the next Smash.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Corrin just looks bland. Flashy animations, but that's about it. Probably going to be in emblem tier too. Really would of rather had Wolf even without all the "representation" nonsense. Although I don't see Roy and Lucina returning as anything but costumes next game...

Bayonetta looks fun though. Nobody with air combos like that. Seems she's cut from the same cloth as ZSS and Sheik.

Highlight of the presentation was that the ballot character was the biggest shocker. Completely called it, and also wasn't remotely surprised Wolf didn't make it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I am disappointed that King K. Rool has not been included.

But I am overjoyed for Cloud, I think the new FE character looks extremely fun, and Bayonetta looks amazing. I cry for Bowser. She looks like she will combo him to hell.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
lmao so a ballot winner and a FE character ruins all that? wat. I mean, i dont' want Corrin either, mostly because I don't even know who he/she is, but how does that at ALL take away from the rest of the game???
Bayonetta's inclusion is so insultingly bad, that yes, it actively detracts from the game. Same thing with giving FE a sixth character , but to a much smaller degree.
It'd be like if they put in Goku or Shrek.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Regarding the characters I have mixed opinions on all of them.

Cloud: I don't really know him too well and I don't really care for his inclusion, but I also kinda understand his inclusion.

Corrin: I'm with many on here, I honestly don't care for two Fire Emblem DLC characters. However, Corrin was the best part of the direct IMO. But I really don't think this character is justified.

Bayonetta: Now this is what disappointed me the most. I have no ties to this character nor do I really even care to have any to begin with. I really wonder what *realizable means because that could make a huge difference. I too, find it near impossible to believe she won the ballot. I don't even think they mentioned how well she did in Japan. But oh well, congrats to her supporters.

I too, am very salty. But what's done has been done. I was hoping to see how some of the votes turned out. Now we wait until the next Smash game. Which will be forever like normal.

P.S. Sakurai, please look into other Intelligent System titles. Ya' know, Paper Mario?

P.S.S. Thank you for Ryu. By FAR my favorite DLC character. I hope to see him return in future titles.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The only characters Smash 4 is missing from Brawl is Squirtle, Ivy, Wolf and Snake. After that, Smash 4 is Brawl's roster.
+ Ice Climbers.

Brawl:
+ 18 newcomers, at least half of which were hypeworthy to me
- 1 Melee character I cared about (Mewtwo)

Sm4sh:
+ 21 newcomers, a quarter of which were hypeworthy for me
- 3 Brawl characters I cared about
+ Every clone except the only one I actually liked (and Pichu) back in the game

Moreover Brawl seemed to have a much higher hit rate with characters the community cared about as a whole. Sm4sh has been a whole lot more divisive.

I might go on the SSB Roster Maker and make myself a roster to softly cry over.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I'm not getting anyone. I didn't care for the characters that would be released before the direct and I don't care now.

All I wanted was meaningful Link buffs but it looks like I won't even be getting that.

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I have to be honest. When I firs saw Pit, I was dreading Medusa, espically when I heard Bayonetta's voice (couldn't recognize it because of my belief that it would be Medusa) Glad that didn't happen

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'd tell you to cry more, but you seem to already be doing that.

Seriously though, calm down. These were all extras.
I don't believe negative opinions or criticisms should be muffled or hushed.

It's a freedom of speech, and if you don't want to hear it well you have options of ignoring certain users, or avoiding certain pages together.

Trust me it's just as annoying for someone who isn't happy about the game to see someone praise it.

All opinions should be warranted and able to be posted fairly.

As long as we don't begin to insult other users, use derogatorily language it should be fair play.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Bayonetta's inclusion is so insultingly bad, that yes, it actively detracts from the game. Same thing with giving FE a sixth character , but to a much smaller degree.
How does she detract? That makes no sense. Even though I agree with Corrin being unnecassary, he is an extra, a bonus. He's not even IN the game, you have to buy him of your own will firstr.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
You know what? I'm not going to give up on Wolf! He will get his chance! And until then, I'll continue to support him. He'll get in eventually. We just have to wait...
Heh, my friend promised to give me his copy of Brawl if Wolf didn't get in as consolation. So I guess that'll have to do.

But yeah I'm hoping against hope that this isn't really the end. Though to be honest I'm kinda tired, have been hoping for him for so long. Gotta' let go sometime, as much as it blows...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I thought I was the only one who thought that. If Brawl had Rosalina and Mega Man it would be perfect.
Brawl + :4mewtwo::4feroy: would've been perfect.

Basically Project M I guess.

You never knew what you had till it's gone (living in PAL region tho, never could play Project M either- **** ME)

FancySmash

Smash Lord
OK, I'm seeing a lot of backlash against these characters. I just wanna say something.

Over the course of DLC, I got NOTHING that I wanted. I started out wanting Bandana Waddle Dee, veterans (primarily the Ice Climbers), and I eventually warmed up to and started liking the idea of King K. Rool. Out of this entire adventure, I only got a few veterans, and none were really ones I demanded, so it still felt very underwhelming.

Looking at these results, we've got ANOTHER Fire Emblem character (an thought I'd been dreading), and more third parties. Heck, none came close to the presumed results of the ballot. I don't really like these last few characters, because I'm primarily a Nintendo fan, and I've never played Final Fantasy or Bayonetta (even though they exist on Nintendo consoles). This entire ride feels like pandering to veterans, FE, and third parties.

Now, I see people getting really worked up about this. I may appear to be agreeing with them, and maybe in a way I do, but I'm actually trying to make a point. Did some of us get shorted? Yes, definitely. But enough to call out Sakurai, who while not getting some of the big things we wanted, still put in a lot of effort to the game, sell Wii U's, and even call out Nintendo? That's a bit extreme. If Sakurai's not here by next Smash, so be it. Heck, maybe this is his way of getting away from Smash, he has said before he wants to stop eventually. If he is here, the ballot is still an eye opener to him, even if he didn't use the big ones people wanted today, there's always tomorrow.

Bottom line, yes some of us are upset, me included, so I definitely see where some of you are coming from. I somewhat feel the same way, but at the same time, I don't think it's enough to be worked up about. If people voice their opinions in a civil manner, we can still get the same results, in fact, maybe even better results.

On another note, I guess Corrin is only there to support the new game, Cloud is just there to please fans, and Bayonetta is the only ballot winner. #1 in Europe I guess I can buy, but top five everywhere else? Averaging to #1? I assumed K. Rool was #1 in America and Japan... Eh, I just hope they release their results in the future, at least to please the fans.

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't want to say it... But everything seems like tell us that Bayoneta could be a product of bots and rigging?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
+ Ice Climbers.

Brawl:
+ 18 newcomers, at least half of which were hypeworthy to me
- 1 Melee character I cared about (Mewtwo)

Sm4sh:
+ 21 newcomers, a quarter of which were hypeworthy for me
- 3 Brawl characters I cared about
+ Every clone except the only one I actually liked (and Pichu) back in the game

Moreover Brawl seemed to have a much higher hit rate with characters the community cared about as a whole. Sm4sh has been a whole lot more divisive.

I might go on the SSB Roster Maker and make myself a roster to softly cry over.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Ice Climbers, my b.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I must say I am undecided on how I feel about this news. I absolutely love how Corrin looks but I am quite upset that Fire Emblem got even more representation even if it is my favorite series. As for Bayonetta, I will never believe she actually won the ballot but with that said I think she looks unbelievably fun and I was already interested in her character. Although, I was so hype during the video for a Medusa reveal. As much as I understand KI doesn't quite deserve a third rep, I have quite the obsession with her as a character. I will be buying both characters and the Geno costume which I am also loving. I am so happy about some Geno representation. I loved smrpg and always felt like Geno acted more heroic in that game than Mario. So seeing him get some more recognition is beautiful. As for the other costumes, a lot of them felt like disappointments that the characters themselves couldn't make it as playable. Especially Takamaru, since he now has a dual role as costume and assist trophy. I will probably grab the Takamaru and Ashley costumes though/.

On another note, I get that people are upset and they will have some over the top reactions but replying and fueling the flames doesn't help anyone. I'm here to read other thoughts but the responses to their disappointment is just destructive and keeps me from seeing what I and many others came here for.

Edit: Also, wanna say that I called the lack of vets yesterday. :)

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
It is easy to see "there's always next game" but it needs to be remembered that that will be a long time and a lot of us will have moved on by then. I doubt I will still be around to see in Smash 5 and I am nowhere near the oldest user on these forums.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, for those who don't want Sakurai working on these games anymore, he has said himself that he'd like to stop
Now that would be great only if I had the certainity that my favorite characters would survive the transition of directors. As if it's gonna be handled by Nintendo, am not too sure anymore of Diddy's chances. #AntiRareBias

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I have to be honest. When I firs saw Pit, I was dreading Medusa, espically when I heard Bayonetta's voice (couldn't recognize it because of my belief that it would be Medusa) Glad that didn't happen
I supported Medusa and Im a KI fanboy so I loved all of the KI things. Didn't you notice the Sakurai said Climax and the Bayonetta moon in the background of Battlefield?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I hope the next Smash focuses more on Nintendo and it's history, this celebration of gaming got a little out of control, third parties ran a muck.

The next Smash won't need nearly as many newcomers, hopefully they just port most of them to the NX.
Let's get back to the basics and add more game modes, so I can make use of these characters.

Just an opinion though.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Well... I'm honestly underwhelmed.

None of the characters I wanted, or at least would have appreciated, got in. And I was fairly certain I was casting a wide net too. I mean, between Isaac, K. Rool, B. Dee, Karate Joe, Wolf, etc. I though I had a wide enough blanket. And yet Sakurai threw curve balls.

Corrin really just doesn't do anything for me, at all. I guess that makes me slighly hypocritical seeing how I thought Roy was a good inclusion, but I figured it wouldn't have been as development intensive as Corrin. That, and we really could go for another series at this point. Here's looking at you, DK and Metroid.

Bayo, on the other hand, eurgh. Honestly, I think she and Ryu are over-designed. Especially considering their 3rd party status means they are much more likely to be cut, it's going to be wasted development down the line. Meanwhile, they detract from the "jump in and play" sentiment that I really find attractive in Smash, while these folks go crazy in the tier lists because of how much extra they pumped in.

The biggest blow though would be declaring Bayonetta the winner of the ballot. Now, I don't doubt that she was popular... if we exclude certain charters. Just what exactly were Sakurai's criteria? I honestly have to wonder how many characters were excluded from the ballot once the votes started to pour in. I really have to wonder if K. Rool, Wolf , etc. actually did beat Bayoneeta but were denied due to not meeting some standard.

I guess I can try and be happy for their fans, but I guess this is it for this segment of Smash for me.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Now that would be great only if I had the certainity that my favorite characters would survive the transition of directors. As if it's gonna be handled by Nintendo, am not too sure anymore of Diddy's chances. #AntiRareBias
I hear that. I have no idea what would become of Jigglypuff if Sakurai ever called it quits.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Also I'm super biased but I just can't understand why Wolf didn't make it. He had literally everything going for him. The only reason I could think of not putting him in is just a personal choice by Sakurai.
Pretty much. The reality is that Sakurai has the final word. Whatever he thought was viable, would sell, promotes a game etc.. I feel really bad for wolf supporters right now. I got my Lucas back.. and now.. I just feel guilty. I would have thought Wolf would have been picked over Lucas in the first place. I'd like to say that there is still hope, I mean the game has a long life span.. but the were pretty clear that this is the end of DLC. RIP Wolf...until next game maybe..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom