• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Eh, for me, none of this DLC feels right. I never expected Bayonetta (rating system and everything aside), because the results never showed her high in the ballot. I more supported K. Rool of the higher ups, but if Isaac made it in over him, I'd understand, because there was evidence. Bayonetta... just feels unreal to me.

Corrin, I don't even know where to begin with him/her. I saw some support for 'em, but, because they were so new, they couldn't really get the support needed to be a major contender. Heck, he/she was just released and I STILL don't believe it. The game of origin is only in Japan right now, so most people in the US wouldn't know who Corrin is. A few die hards might, but that's about it. Corrin could be here to once again promote another Fire Emblem game through Smash, but that defeats the purpose of being a ballot winner.

Bayonetta is from Europe. Corrin get's their support from Japan. Looks like the west was left out. Huh, I thought having an agreeable character with Japan would boost our chances of getting a character e heavily supported in, but I guess not.

And for those asking about statistical proof about characters and their chances, we don't have much, but I did save this poll in my memory. It's something at least.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit?pli=1#gid=729442469

Eh, I still don't know. Sakurai said this was the end of DLC. Do I believe him? Well, he did say that about Mewtwo, we didn't get any expected characters, and he's a troll, a big one XD. So, is this 100% the end of DLC? For the time being, I'd say no, more like 75%. Who knows, maybe he'll come back laughing in the near future saying "Oh, there's one more character" and then give us something most everyone was expecting.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Nice job totally skirting the point of my post in exchange for a condescending response.

I'm not really upset that the characters I wanted or expected didn't get in. That isn't what makes me angry.
I'm upset that BAYONETTA got in, because once upon a time smash was a series that had standards. Smash was once a real all star battle that exhibited the history of a great company. It had a few third party characters, but they were the biggest and the best, the most important to that companies history. It isn't any longer, Sakurai has demonstrated a willingness to include characters flippantly.

My only hope is that someone new, someone with standards, takes the reigns.
No, these are standards you created that you keep shoving into people's faces. Stop it. Again, your little echo chamber may say so and so character is super special and important to Ninty and gaming as a whole, but if you actually looked outside for a moment, they're not. Bayonetta was chosen due to popularity and how easily Nintendo could get a hold of them. Those other characters you expected were either not popular (most likely) or not exactly easy.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You don't know Nintendo lied to us, so don't say that. Well, unless you want to sound like everything your saying is just because you're mad your character didn't make it or something.

Yes, it's a bizarre result, but until proven otherwise, that was the result.
What, do you want to storm their offices for the numbers?

I guarantee not everybody (or even remotely most of the people) who voted in the actual ballot put a vote in the straw polls everyone was so adamant about taking. They were accurate-- but only to a certain group of people, whereas the poll was worldwide and not limited to just this spectrum of passionate... uh... speculators.

Last edited:

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
I finally got logged on, the boards are rife with salt, I reckon

Congrats to those who wanted Corrin and voted for Bayonetta, you guys are going to get a lot of crap but you earned it

As for my reaction, Meh. I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't inkling who made it in(and kind of salty that Corrin got in over them) but hey it could have been worse. The actual characters look dope, I'm glad that they didn't have to tone down Bayonetta much and she retains most of her character from the games. She also looks really fun to play and I'm glad she's in. Even Corrin looks great, being the first shapeshifter character we have gotten in smash and just generally looking awesome

I look forward to playing them.

But this final broadcast feels kind of weak compared to the last one because last time all the DLC was available the day of the broadcast and we wouldn't have to wait 3 months. I'm not looking forward to all the vitriol that will be expressed for next several years and having this be a point of contention.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go hide before things get crazy

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Well, at least, if anything, Corrin can destroy the argument that Zelda chars need to be relevant and appear in multiple games to appear in smash. Because he clearly isn't.

Give me Fierce Deity
Give me Skull Kid
Give me Tetra
Give me Wolf Link
Give me Midna
Give me Ghirahim
Give me Beast Ganon
Give me bloody Epona damn it

Just.... give me.... Zelda

Also Ruto would have tots made for a better water character

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Bayonetta looks really awesome. Happy for something new tbh. Corrin and no Samus buffs, but Bayonetta will be fun for sure.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All my favorite DLC characters so far are the veterans. And they are so damn underwhelimg compared to Ryu, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta. See Mewtwo with all his canon powers? NO! The ************ can't even use a PROPER psychic attack and is light as a balloon, literally. Cloud also has every ability I wanted Ike or Isaac to have, so he can die in a hotter inferno I ever hoped for him.

I **** all over this game's character choices. Everything I wanted was excluded. Everthing I NEVER wanted in was included. **** this.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I literally got NOTHING I wanted during this game's "wild ride". Sakurai is a ****ing sell off. He cares more about his resume than his ****ing fans. He can stop sucking up to Intelligent Systems so much already, and write his job application letter to them this exact minute. I also don't believe FOR ONE SECOND that Bayonetta could be the absolut #1 pick from the ballot. Sakurai, you are a fraud. NOT EVEN ****ING WOLF, U SERIOUS!?

NOT EVEN WOLF!?

:facepalm:

I'm SO happy I don't own a Wii U. This DLC's outcome was determined to my final decision of getting one. Will I get one? No. Got no reason at all to get one. If Cloud Strife can get in Smash Bros., one day I might be able to see DK, Diddy, King K.Rool and Banjo-Kazooie togheter again on a XBox One game for DLC or something. **** this **** man.

#DissatisfiedFormerNintendoFan
This ain't a thread for you to show that you get butthurt about the broadcast. Leave.

But I have to admit, Sakurai biased Fire Emblem series, this pretty much proves it. I guess Sakurai showed his a bit of secret on his last Smash presentation?

Troykv

Smash Master
Eh... Hahaha... I get a random think... The Smash Bros 5 speculation could have people wishing that the Fire Emblem Representation is cut a third again.... Nothing really serious... just a random think about all the salt.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Honestly, a small part of me is at least some what glad characters I wanted, like Rool, Inklings, and Fierce Deity, didn't make it in as DLC, because I'd personally prefer for them to be in a Smash game from the get go.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Nice job totally skirting the point of my post in exchange for a condescending response.

I'm not really upset that the characters I wanted or expected didn't get in. That isn't what makes me angry.
I'm upset that BAYONETTA got in, because once upon a time smash was a series that had standards. Smash was once a real all star battle that exhibited the history of a great company. It had a few third party characters, but they were the biggest and the best, the most important to that companies history. It isn't any longer, Sakurai has demonstrated a willingness to include characters flippantly.

My only hope is that someone new, someone with standards, takes the reigns.
Yes because Smash had such stellar characters such as Pichu and Dark Pit.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
You know what? I'm not going to give up on Wolf! He will get his chance! And until then, I'll continue to support him. He'll get in eventually. We just have to wait...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
All my favorite DLC characters so far are the veterans. And they are so damn underwhelimg compared to Ryu, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta. See Mewtwo with all his canon powers? NO! The ************ can't even use a PROPER psychic attack and is light as a balloon, literally. Cloud also has every ability I wanted Ike or Isaac to have, so he can die in a hotter inferno I ever hoped for him.

I **** all over this game's character choices. Everything I wanted was excluded. Everthing I NEVER wanted in was included. **** this.
1000% the same as me...i really REALLY wish Sakurai just leaves smash bros to someone else....i Really wish he just retires RealTalk the Bias and Bull* is Surreal with him he really needs to go hes killed smash....

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Have you played a Bayo game? They are really great and she is a completely unique character with her own style and everything. At least it wasn't FE character number 7.
I'm sure they are good games. But there are a lot of good games out there, that alone is not a good reason to be in smash.
Uniqueness means nothing in a game like smash. If uniqueness made an inclusion good, it logically follows that inventing totally new and really unique characters to be put in smash is a good idea.

No, these are standards you created that you keep shoving into people's faces. Stop it. Again, your little echo chamber may say so and so character is super special and important to Ninty and gaming as a whole, but if you actually looked outside for a moment, they're not. Bayonetta was chosen due to popularity and how easily Nintendo could get a hold of them. Those other characters you expected were either not popular (most likely) or not exactly easy.
Bull****.
The cover of every single smash game has toted it as a Nintendo All Star battle.

Holy crap, you're right, I just looked outside and realized that Toad, K. Rool, Wolf, Isaac, Ridley, and all these other rational choices are totally unimportant to nintendo.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I currently have enough salt to open a small chip shop. What an absolute trainwreck of a direct. By my calculations, out of the 21 newcomer characters, there were 4 or 5 I was genuinely excited to see. Out of the 7 DLC characters, only 1 that was leaked early.

I never thought of myself as a "step down Sakurai" kind of person but that's how I'm feeling right now. 6 FE characters? As in, same as the number of Pokemon characters? I have to laugh else I'll cry. I can't help but feel that Sakurai being a FE fan is the reason so many of those characters are in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This ain't a thread for you to show that you get butthurt about the broadcast. Leave.

But I have to admit, Sakurai biased Fire Emblem series, this pretty much proves it. I guess Sakurai showed his a bit of secret on his last Smash presentation?
He needs a job at Intelligent Systems ASAP moreso than he needed to creare Kid Icarus Uprising after Brawl. I mean, this can't be coincidence.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I laugh at people who claim Bayonetta ruined smashes "All Stars" status. lol like for real?

I mean, just look at all these no-names

Pichu
Rob
Sheik
Roy
Falcon
Ness
Pit
Dr. Mario
Dark Pit
Lucas

Characters like Wii Fit Trainier and Duck Hunt at least sold their respective consoles VERY well, but what have any of these achives.

Jack ****. That's what!

Bayonetta totally deserves her spot. Not only was her latest Game Wii U exclusive, featuring many Nintendo Charatcers as costumes, but she won the ballot according to Mash Potato Samurai.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Best thing about the direct was Geno, Tails, and Knuckles.
In my opinion, i enjoyed the music greatly around this time of the direct too.

Well the FE Fates is stuck in my head too.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think it'll be a lot easier to accept what we have since we now know for fact that nothing else is coming. Hopefully a lot of people's desire for more will cease. I think the game will be much more enjoyable since I can look at it as a complete project instead of banking on something new and exciting coming. Just some positivity to balance out my salt.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I haven't been this dissapointed since I found out Santa Claus wasn't real. We couldn't have at least gotten Wolf?

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Well, since official support for the game has now ended, all I have to say is this:

...what do we do now?
Simple. Fight. Evolve the meta. Crush others with our character of choice.

I went into the DLC hype wanting different things.

Dixie Kong.
K. Rool.
Inkling.
Wonder Red.
Isaac.
Snake.
Lucas.
Mewtwo.

Though I got the last two, most of my choices didn't happen. Instead I had my expectations completely subverted by his choices.

Roy doesn't do much for me. I'm glad he's back and changed up a bit. Shame the same can't be said for Wolf. Just not a character I enjoy playing, but with so many to pick from that's fine.

I grew up with Street Fighter but, for some reason that in retrospect seems kinda dumb, I didn't think there was enough potential there to be unique. He's one of my favorite characters now.

FFVII is one of my favorite RPGs and favorite games of all time and though FFVI is better (come at me) I knew that if any character got in to rep the series it would be Cloud. The fact he's in the game given the history of the title is amazing. I never even thought to vote for him in the ballot as the thought of him having a chance never even crossed my mind.

Corrin. Cool, I guess? It's hard to have much of an opinion about a character from a game that you haven't played yet. I was going to pick up Fates at some point anyway. They look fun, and seem to have some unique traits. Like their design. I just don't have much of an attachment to them right now. Maybe they'll grow on me.

Then there's Bayo. I've been a fan of Platinum ever since I first played Devil May Cry. Been following the people involved in that ever since. Every game - which reminds me, gonna have to get an XB1 soon in preparation of Scalebound. I was hoping Bayonetta would be in due to the hype behind the Bayo 2 announcement. Yet I never thought she had a chance because...well, it's Bayonetta. Sexuality heavily defined her personality. We've all heard the argument at one point or another. Instead, I voted for Wonder Red just hoping for a rep from that company thinking he'd have a better shot.

Then the entire world collectively decided to not purchase The Wonderful 101. Breaks my heart. Don't think Bayo and Bayo 2 did much better. The Platinum Curse continues on.

Now, against all odds, Bayonetta somehow "won" the ballot and got in the game anyway? After making a compromise to a character that is "tamer" by comparison I still end up getting to play her.

THIS is why I like Sakurai. I mean, I have some complaints about a few of his decisions, sure, but he went above and beyond in acquiring characters for this entry of the series. A lot of the choices weren't characters I supported - they were ones that I wanted but had given up on, ones that I never even considered having a shot despite being an influential part of my childhood, or ones that I had doubts about what they would bring only to have that doubt shattered.

He can surprise me. Catch me off guard and still leave me grinning after a reveal. Not many, if any, other devs have proven able to do that.

Looking forward to trying Corrin and Bayonetta. After that I hope Sakurai and the entire team working on this game get both the recognition and rest they deserve. I feel for the people who mained the few characters that were cut, and hell, there are a few others I'm bummed out didn't make it in as newcomers. There's just so much variety and history here though. I have a feeling this is going to stand the test of time as one of the best rosters ever in a fighting game.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Brawl's roster was better, despite it having less characters.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
User was warned for this post
Im.gone **** SAKURAI BIAS *****
Selling my WiiU & Smash because of this prick mediocre biased money miltanking prick developer.

Adds a bunch of OP ******* im out **** this.

So True So True

Moderator Edit: Do not censor dodge when making posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Bayonetta was awesome and seeing her in Smash is great. Same goes for Cloud.

Corrin though.........

They could have spent more time making other veterans like Wolf & Snake (F##Konami..) instead we get yet another Fire Emblem character. Granted he does look good, but when franchises like Star Fox, Metroid & Donkey Kong need reps, we get another character from a franchise that got way too much rep.

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
Yes because Smash had such stellar characters such as Pichu and Dark Pit.
Let me stop you right there. Wasn't Pichu inserted as a joke character? There's a huge difference between inserting joke characters and the Smash Ballot result characters.

I laugh at people who claim Bayonetta ruined smashes "All Stars" status. lol like for real?

I mean, just look at all these no-names

Pichu
Rob
Sheik
Roy
Falcon
Ness
Pit
Dr. Mario
Dark Pit
Lucas
I thought Sheik was a huge factor in Ocarina of Time and Ness was the main character in Earthbound, surely maybe he's quite well known. And Dr. Mario was another well know puzzle game that got sequels.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:sheikmelee: got in because she was recent and snuck in as part of a gimmick with :zeldamelee: and stuck because Sakurai hates cutting characters, ESPECIALLY ones that are unique. :4falcon: hasn't gotten a game in over a decade and nobody is calling for him to be cut because he's an icon of Smash, even if he's been brushed under the rug a bit outside of it.

:gawmelee: got in because Sakurai hand-picks a retro or two ever since Brawl who either
A) Embody a very important piece of Nintendo's hardware history :4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt:
B) Embody a very specific gimmick that he has in mind :popo::icsmelee:
C) He has plans for them :pit:.

Edit: And just to say, The Game & Watch Gallery series went up into the GBA so his brand's name wasn't out-dated in Melee.

They're the special twists he likes to sprinkle amongst the fighters to celebrate Nintendo's history and bring in some of the most creative characters on the roster.
Thank you kindly for proving my point that recency doesn't matter.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Im.gone F.U.C.K SAKURAI BIAS P.R.1.C.K
Selling my WiiU & Smash because of this prick mediocre biased money miltanking prick developer.

Adds a bunch of OP ******* im out **** this.
kbye

Echo chamber confirmed. I got blasted for saying that the fanpolls didn't show the full picture and lo and behold. And from Sakurai's comment of realizable characters...y'all wasted your votes.
Yeah. Don't know why you got blasted for that when it's pretty obvious from the get go.

geno !!!! I am happy he's represented
Same here. Probably my favorite Mii costume.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
So, three of the seven DLC characters are from games that are only available in Japan, FE gets ANOTHER representative, and the winner of the ballot isn't even the real winner of the ballot? I get it. If you need me, I'll be making my own Smash Bros. with K. Rool and blackjack and hookers.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
What are the chances they'll reorganize the CSS by the end of February? That's the most important DLC-related question left tbh.

Polan

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
Corrin looks ****in badass. Dat reach. Dat sword. Dat moveset. Only thing that bothers me is the release date (why february) and my lack of eshop funds to buy cloud.

Also why aren't Dark Phazon and Diddy Kong banned? this much salt isn't healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom