• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
You just get to act faster. Usually I use them to poke at people on a platform.
Ive seen them used in combos, but I generally prefer SHFFLing them for that.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
Glide desync is just one of the desyncs I've come up with in the past. It's basically a variation of the dash dash desync, but you'll only need to dash twice . I mentioned it in my wobbling guide (where I called it dash slide desync, haha. Silly me. I don't have a good name for it.)

"This is my signature desync and I use it a lot in pretty much every match up. It can be used to desync Nana into any move, but I mainly use it for blizzard, ice blocks, and lag-less grabs. The inputs are simple and the trick is easy once you’ve figured out the timing. Here’s how it’s done:

Do a dash away from your opponent when both climbers are in sync. Then tap the control stick (without holding) in the opposite direction. If done right Popo will do an initial dash and Nana will slide towards him from behind. While Popo and Nana are in those animations you can do a grab [or shield] with Popo without affecting Nana, and you can do a blizzard/ice block with Nana without affecting Popo.

The desync works because:
- Nana can’t dash dance/pivot
- The sliding animation can only be cancelled with crouch and jump, nothing else
- The initial dash animation can be cancelled by anything but crouch and special (b) moves"

It's a really fast and powerful desync. If you have ever seen me play you'll notice I use it a lot.
Dash away -> tap the opposite direction -> press down (to cancel Nana's animation while Popo is in his initial dash animation) -> shield (with Popo). If done right Nana will do a blizzard while Popo stands in his shield. This beat pretty much any horizontal approach, including projectiles (kinda). And if they try to approach from above you can do uair OoS.
The best thing about the desync is that it's pretty much safe. And that it can lead into wobbling if the other player doesn't SDI correctly. And I'm really good at wobbling.

http://youtu.be/LgKiSl2UZz8?t=2m22s (glide desync to blizzard to f-smash)
http://youtu.be/LgKiSl2UZz8?t=9m26s (glide desync to blizzard to wobbling)
http://youtu.be/6PkERODHwHA?t=7s (glide desync to blizzard; shielding Falco's laser)
http://youtu.be/6PkERODHwHA?t=26s (glide desync to blizzard; tries to jump over me and I hit him hit uair)

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Glide desync is just one of the desyncs I've come up with in the past. It's basically a variation of the dash dash desync, but you'll only need to dash twice . I mentioned it in my wobbling guide (where I called it dash slide desync, haha. Silly me. I don't have a good name for it.)

"This is my signature desync and I use it a lot in pretty much every match up. It can be used to desync Nana into any move, but I mainly use it for blizzard, ice blocks, and lag-less grabs. The inputs are simple and the trick is easy once you’ve figured out the timing. Here’s how it’s done:

Do a dash away from your opponent when both climbers are in sync. Then tap the control stick (without holding) in the opposite direction. If done right Popo will do an initial dash and Nana will slide towards him from behind. While Popo and Nana are in those animations you can do a grab [or shield] with Popo without affecting Nana, and you can do a blizzard/ice block with Nana without affecting Popo.

- The sliding animation can only be cancelled with crouch and jump, nothing else
- The initial dash animation can be cancelled by anything but crouch and special (b) moves"

It's a really fast and powerful desync. If you have ever seen me play you'll notice I use it a lot.
Dash away -> tap the opposite direction -> press down (to cancel Nana's animation while Popo is in his initial dash animation) -> shield (with Popo). If done right Nana will do a blizzard while Popo stands in his shield. This beat pretty much any horizontal approach, including projectiles (kinda). And if they try to approach from above you can do uair OoS.
The best thing about the desync is that it's pretty much safe. And that it can lead into wobbling if the other player doesn't SDI correctly. And I'm really good at wobbling.

http://youtu.be/6PkERODHwHA?t=7s (glide desync to blizzard; shielding Falco's laser)
http://youtu.be/6PkERODHwHA?t=26s (glide desync to blizzard; tries to jump over me and I hit him hit uair)
So like a perfect pivot desync sorta?

K I did it, but I can't do the CC to shield to blizzard.

I'm still having trouble with Marth, and now I realized any character with a sword. I feel like part of it is all in my head. I was on a platform on dreamland and Marth was about center stage, but close to the platform. I just went into panic mode because I thought there was no option where I wouldn't get punished and just made a bunch of stupid mistakes.

Last edited:

Palmerfan

Smash Apprentice
I have a couple questions about grabs

-With most characters, I go for 1 pummel per 25% on the other character unless they're insane mashers. Is this any different with ICs with standard Popo/Nana alternating pummels?

-Is JC grabbing good for climbers? I've found that it takes a few seconds for Nana to get out of her grab animation and get in a good spot to follow up, so I'm not sure if I should just WD in to grab instead

-When should I go for Popo pummels+Nana blizzard, and how many pummels should I get from Popo while the blizzard is out?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I have a couple questions about grabs

-With most characters, I go for 1 pummel per 25% on the other character unless they're insane mashers. Is this any different with ICs with standard Popo/Nana alternating pummels?

-Is JC grabbing good for climbers? I've found that it takes a few seconds for Nana to get out of her grab animation and get in a good spot to follow up, so I'm not sure if I should just WD in to grab instead

-When should I go for Popo pummels+Nana blizzard, and how many pummels should I get from Popo while the blizzard is out?
Uh with pummeling I like to only use one or two before acting with nana. Its really not that big a deal in regards to your damage output, but it gives them more of a window to escape, so yeah.

JC grabbing is very good since if you dont do it nana shoots in front of you.

I think one or two, instead of pummeling during blizzard, I wait until right as the animation is ending to pummel again so it keeps them locked.

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
Just as a side note that one pummel is always guaranteed at any percent off of a grab if you buffer a throw during the pummel animation. It's nothing too special but it could be useful for setting up a chain grab at low percents if Nana isn't around and you need to buy her time to get back to you.

Absolome

Smash Cadet
Playing in my first "major" (if KiT counts as that for smash!) this weekend. The road starts tomorrow night. I'm pretty stoked, hope my tech and mind are on point, I'd be ecstatic just to make it out of pools.

I'm a little worried that I'll drop wobbles because of the high pressure matches since I haven't ever been to a major before but I'll deal with that when I get to it.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
If you arent confident in your wobbles, go for easier ****.
I still rarely wobble in tournament because Im more confident in my other punishes.

Binx

Smash Master
When you get there try to.mm a few people to get used.to.the pressure.and.the.venue at least for ne it's similar sorry for random periods and miss spelled words my phone sucks

Smog

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking of picking up a sopo (but not an ice climbers).

Any tips? Sopo seems to be lacking in centralized information.
Dash dance, wavedash, grab, comboes in choknators guide.
You can't reall pick up sopo unless you kill nana on purpose lol, and most tournaments don't have 20xx for picking sopo. Plus sopo isnt very good anyway.

What moves should I crouch cancel against Marth? I was on MVG and asked Wobbles and he said crouch cancel alot

Last edited:

Yardsale

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I have a tourney tommarow and I was wondering if I can get some last minute advice about some of my matches and what to work on.

-Marth is one of my weak matchups but i dont really understand how to wall him out and camp him with desyncs.
-How do I react to raptor boosts and knees/stomps on shield
-When is it appropriate to use the half light half hard shield on spacies and how do I lead it into a punish. I see some players use it alot and some very seldomly.

THANK YOU

Yardsale

Smash Rookie
Dash dance, wavedash, grab, comboes in choknators guide.
You can't reall pick up sopo unless you kill nana on purpose lol, and most tournaments don't have 20xx for picking sopo. Plus sopo isnt very good anyway.

What moves should I crouch cancel against Marth? I was on MVG and asked Wobbles and he said crouch cancel alot

If he doesnt space an aerial properly, its usually safe to CC.

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
I use the c-stick because I like to have full control of DI. I'm still not the most consistent on the planet with it I've been considering switching to a claw since it makes some other things easier as well.
I love claw grip; it makes things like this super easy! I was honestly really confused for a good ten minutes as to why we were discussing how to AC Upair, LOL.

I'm a little worried that I'll drop wobbles because of the high pressure matches since I haven't ever been to a major before but I'll deal with that when I get to it.
Try multitasking while you wobble practice. I try to make conversation with roommates, recite a song, solve a theoretical homework problem, etc. while I wobble and I think it helps a lot. I'm pretty much a complete scrub but I don't drop wobbles so I think the method is decent.

Smog

Smash Journeyman

Okay so I can do the thing where I make her dash away and then crouch and only Popo shields, but then nana just runs back to me and doesnt blizzard.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Okay so I can do the thing where I make her dash away and then crouch and only Popo shields, but then nana just runs back to me and doesnt blizzard.

Nvm I got it, I just had to do it alot faster, and didn't know you used blizzard before shield.

Crap meant to edit my post, sorry for double post.

Last edited:

TheRealFluid

Smash Cadet
is there any viability to an upthrow chain grab on fast fallers as the platforms rise on pokemon stadium?
I could see this happening, and in some cases it sounds like it could be the optimal punish. Other than that, this sounds insanely situational. Basically, you would have to grab them while the stage is transforming (at lower percents this timing would have to be tight to avoid a mash out) at a position where a platform rises.

Amadeus

Smash Rookie
I could see this happening, and in some cases it sounds like it could be the optimal punish. Other than that, this sounds insanely situational. Basically, you would have to grab them while the stage is transforming (at lower percents this timing would have to be tight to avoid a mash out) at a position where a platform rises.
yeah it would be super situational, but i figured it might be an easier way to get a regrab

Last edited:

kelots

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know if video of matches of Tomber/Daumling in the top 64 bracket are available from beast5?

Absolome

Smash Cadet
Played a set with ESAM at KiT and got wrecked, I have no idea how to approach the Samus matchup. Missiles seem so hard to play around, my nana kept getting hit

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
I keep forgetting smashboards exists. who all is going to apex?

TheRealFluid

Smash Cadet
Played a set with ESAM at KiT and got wrecked, I have no idea how to approach the Samus matchup. Missiles seem so hard to play around, my nana kept getting hit
Missiles are great tools that Samus' use to split up the Ice Climbers. Basically, you should either lightshield in front of Nana or you can f-tilt/powershield them out of the air.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Missiles are great tools that Samus' use to split up the Ice Climbers. Basically, you should either lightshield in front of Nana or you can f-tilt/powershield them out of the air.
You can also desync off the missile clank. This is helpful for closing in space and trapping her.

How do you do the up-b cancel/shorten?
I think you're referring to the nana rocket. The easiest, most reliable one is basically to plank then upB right before you'd grab the ledge. Popo cancels the animation and nana shoots upward as an invincible hitbox.

There are a couple other variations, but thats the most common.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Had a little tournament at school today.. Marth in round one, Marth in losers. Yep. I just have no idea what to do about it.
Haha that sounds like me. Knowing its a school tourney and everyone probably sucks as bad as me. What I did was just dash dance dance desyc -> Blizzard -> Grab -> Wobble. That's what I did 3 times. If you can immediately wobble at the start of the game it totally throws their mental game off.

I know its a dumb thing to do, but tourneys are about winning so you probably shouldn't do it in friendlies.

Or you can go FD and ice block camp. They will probably engage with a fair and just shield grab

Last edited:

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Bad marths will always spam fsmash which is easily punished with shield > wd oos
Just annoy them, try not to be the aggressor, you have a projectile and blizzard.

R.I.P.

Smash Cadet
They are not bad Marths and they don't spam Fsmash.

Also, what the hell do you do about getting shined and then shined again by Fox until you're two thirds of the way to the blast zone?

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Also, what the hell do you do about getting shined and then shined again by Fox until you're two thirds of the way to the blast zone?
You drop your controller and pray he ****s up.

Like thats not entirely true but shine alone makes is what makes it a good mu for fox, there's not a whole lot you can do about him waveshining you all over the place except sdi the shine and trying to intercept him when he tries to shine you again.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Yeah fox can be an insanely irritating matchup for the icies, especially if you get either a technical fox or one with sick neutral and spacing, cus they will just keep their space and laser to rack up damage then rek you for trying to do anything...

Smog

Smash Journeyman
They are not bad Marths and they don't spam Fsmash.

Oh, at my school everyone sucks but 5 players, and we still are still pretty bad.

When I lose I try to think I'm 1 step closer to beating them next time, and then I go home and practice techs I know will be useful against them and their playstyle. Against the Marth's at my school dash dancing, desync blizzard, and Shield wd oos seem to be their weaknesses

Also I feel like I have been mindlessly desyncing in game and getting punished for it. When are good times to desync?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yo I'm all about wobbling in friendlies, but at a school tournament its kinda lame.
I mean unless you really care about winning a school tourney, then I guess it's w/e.
tbh, at those kind of casual tourneys, I just go Pichu and beat everyone.

Also I feel like I have been mindlessly desyncing in game and getting punished for it. When are good times to desync?
This is a good question, it's a kink a think every mid-level IC has to work out. I've been focusing on it a lot lately.
In neutral, against most characters, you want to be synced.
The only time to desync really is to wall out certain characters or to create a window to approach.
You can also desync to use nana as bait, but that's an old IC trick that a lot of people know, and, honestly, the risk is not worth the reward usually.

I'm not a huge fan of extended desyncs against most high tier characters though (totally different story against low/mid-tiers), but specific setups are important for shifting momentum or gaining stage control.

R.I.P.

Smash Cadet
I feel like I'm the only IC player who is 100% behind wobbling. Friendly? Imma wobble you. School tourny? Imma wobble you.

I used to feel guilty but I decided I suck anyway, and it's generally the only way I can really get a stock. I'm not one of those people who's like "I wobble but I think it's a dumb tactic that shouldn't be in the game." If anything, extend their grab range and make it better IMO.

lol.

Top Bottom