• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
that was a quick dash dance

you see popo turn around for a split second

that fast, almost unseeable dash dance desynch is fly's specialty

there are times where you literally can't see it. (that time you can though)

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to a bigger local tournament this week. Hopefully I'll do great as it will probably be my last tournament this year.

Anyways, you guys have probably already talked about it earlier, but do any of you have some advice about playing ICs in teams? What I normally to is to stay away from the other characeters much of the time and then do a quick move when I get the opportunity.
We (King Funk and I) mostly do pretty well in teams, but sometimes we lose to teams like 2x Peach which sucks.. I've thought about playing Fox in Teams, but I might give ICs a last go.

Oh, and do any of you use b-throw --> bair? I find it pretty awesome and I might start using it. It is a really fast finish and does like 10% more damage then up-throw--> forward-smash. It's easy to do on characters like Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik and Peach. It works on Puff (and everyone else) too, but it's a little harder.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yes, i've been doing bthrow bair for a long time. use it! it's quick as well, so people will never mash out of it if you're using it as a finisher. also quick enough that people will usually DI wrong, unless you've done it to them a few times already.

good luck at your tourny

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
that was a quick dash dance

you see popo turn around for a split second

that fast, almost unseeable dash dance desynch is fly's specialty

there are times where you literally can't see it. (that time you can though)
Wow I am definitely gonna try to incorporate that into my game. I guess the reason I didn't recognize it is that you can't be running to do it.... right? Fly wavedashed into the dash dance, pretty fast and applicable technique.

Also, I've never had any luck using ice climbers in teams. Especially on small stages where they get split up. My other mains are Jiggs and Fox so they're pretty much my team chars

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
im having trouble with pivot desync
any tips
Pivot Ice Block and pivot Ftilt are the easiest, I'd start with them and then work your way up to pivot smashes.

wish me luck in local tourny tomorrow

going ic's and young link again
Good luck!

This is probably known, but a little trick for messing with people's DI.

Grab, charge Fsmash in opposite direction, bthrow into the Fsmash. You can time the release so they either go forward or backward.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
bthrow huh? i normally do that with uthrow, didn't know bthrow works as well

haha i wanna learn to time the uthrow fsmash DI mixup so ambiguously that even i don't know where they're going to go.

kinda like wolverine + akuma 50/50. even the player on offense has to guess that ****.

Vts

Smash Champion
u can pivot f-tilt then make your nana do something so yeah you could make her blizzard.

i like pivot f-tilt into nana dash attacking it's funny cus your safe while she gets hit by a move if she misses and u can punish.

hard as balls to do but funny when it happens

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
You can pivot -> input jump during the pivot frame -> blizzard with Nana, but it's really hard and she'll end up behind you so the blizzard isn't as effective.

Binx

Smash Master
I just had a tourney saturday, I got second place again, we agreed not to use our mains in the finals because ICs vs Puff is so hard for both of us and he didn't want to have a campy match up, I think I'm just gonna do it next time though to see if I can win, my spacing just isn't good enough with my alts to win at this level of play.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
^Which characters did you use then? I don't like the Puff vs ICs match up either even though I think I'm pretty good in it. You have to play so patient that it is not even fun IMO.
Anyways, got third in the tourney myself which I'm pretty satisfied with as I see both of the players who beat me as better players.

http://i.imgur.com/qPplT.gif
Eagle played Samus/Marth, Navn played Fox, btw. Tough match-ups.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I got 3rd in a tourney, but I didn't use ICs.

I just sand-bagged the whole way through using random *** characters, lol, I can't use ICs anymore for some reason, I've just lost all of my thinking ability while playing them.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Well, it was a post that ultimately did nothing other than stroke my ego a bit, which is something I generally don't do on principle.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha well

i lost to bizzarro flame

which isn't a bad loss

i'd consider using a diff character against him

i lost 1-3 and 1-3

next time i play him i'm going to try going falco for the whole set. i lose patience so much in ic's vs ganon

Binx

Smash Master
I did a Fox ditto and got 2 stocked, then I did Falco vs Fox and I threw away the game after having a 2 stock lead. Then I went Fox vs his Marth I believe and almost won. Then we did a friendly game where I went Mario vs his Fox and barely lost. I might just stick with Mario next time if we agree to that because I felt like I did pretty well with him.

Actually a majority of my games I lose my nana super fast and have to sopo so playing mario is basically like playing sopo with a better recovery and more range lol. That was for grand finals, I lost to the same person in losers but I don't remember the matches, probably lots of Fox dittos. He is better than me but I really want to step up my game and start taking first places. I haven't been this close to possibly being the best player in my state and I would really like to be that person.

Top Bottom